Organization of Large Games

@Colin: Hi! Mostly checking in for Adventurers League Games (I'm sure you'll be getting this question from the other similar MW groups, too). Apologies if this has already been asked.

ALG has a roster of 50+ participants and has been using a lot of folders & subfolders for the games that are running (thanks to site mods for letting us do that). Are folders/subfolders being removed with Baldr, and--if so--would groups be encouraged to make extensive use of Topics for separating individual tables / sections of the site? Is there a more efficient way for groups to tackle / navigate this? I can see doing something similar to the New User Guide and creating a centralized "forum" with lots of hyperlinks, but am just at a loss atm (it's early-ish, too, so that's a factor 😆).

Thank you in advance.

QJ

Screen Shot 2022-05-07 at 8.05.47 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-05-07 at 8.05.50 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-05-07 at 8.06.08 AM.png

• 4 months later...

@QuirkyJoeSince Adventurer's League is divided up by Seasons, I wonder if we could organize the Game by Tabs instead of folders.  Hard cover and seasonal adventures could be grouped under Tabs for Seasons 0-10 plus a few extra.  The first tab could be the discussions and landing page for the Game. If there were subtabs, each table could have its own subtab.  Topics could then be created for table OCC discussion, IC adventure chapters, characters, etc.

@ColinCan there be a subtab for each season's table? 

Edited by Nametaker (see edit history)

I'd just like to pop in and drop my two cents.

One of the things i liked about they layout of OGMW was the vertical side-list of folders. The list across the top in Baldr is problematic if you have more than say, five things there and with the wider screen size of Baldr it seemed a good fit here as well. At one point i do know that Baldr tested it but it didn't stick around and wasn't around for long. I'm not sure why it didn't work, though i think there was a layout issue. I'm in favour of a vertical list on the side of the page for folders and the like, if it can be worked in.

@Nametaker It’s not natively possible in Invision Community, but we’ll see what’s possible once we get to looking into a folder structure add-in. Right now we haven’t dug extensively into the issue yet, just because there have been larger dev targets that need to be attacked first (Dice Tower, Game Ads, GM-changeable game status, etc). Hopefully in a month or two we can attack it. 🙂

@Neopopulas That’s what we’ll be looking into first when we start to investigate, don’t worry.

• 2 months later...

So, the proposed solution to this is as follows:

1. We created the Community field so the GM can add their game to one of the existing communities. These communities are also represented directly in the site menu so they're easy to navigate to (see below).
  2. The header for each game automatically expands vertically to show more tabs as needed.
  3. The side variant of the game header was looked at, but we went away from it due to the effect it had on the overall layout. We may revisit it, however, now that we've made other theme and layout changes that might make it more conducive.
  4. image.png.40825717e19cac2daafec32d17e219d7.png

• 3 weeks later...