Closed Game  ·  7 members  ·  Game Expectations

Reign of Winter

Main OOC Thread

Inash

it took some doing, if there are no objections I'd sell some of the gear I bought with starting money, in addition to the standard rapier for a cold iron one. (selling the snow shows, (5 gp), candle lamp (5gp), shovel, (2gp), tindertwig x 5 (5gp), rapier (20gp), plus 3 gp in coin = 40 gp for the cold iron rapier.

59 minutes ago, Inash said:

Please define what you mean by hidden checks.

I think the idea is for the GM to do the roll for stuff like perception and knowledge and other such checks and the player to not see the roll at all. The gm give the result as they normally would. The rational is the player does not know how well or bad the roll was. It gives a level of uncertainty which can be more fun and dramatic.

For example with a knowledge check if you know you rolled a 24 or so than you likely get the vast majority of information and that thr info you get it correct. And if you know that you rolled badly ,what info you get is likely wrong and more could be learned. Another player could follow up with their own knowledge check to try for something better.

Not knowing the roll results kind of does away with all that. The obvious downside is some players want to see the rolls or do not trust the GM enough to not fudge things to how they you like a roll to result.

I like the idea personally.

-SS

I don't really care if the GM rolls, but I often do my own roll because it's faster and a PbP can use all the help it can get that way. But if we encounter something and I don't know, I'm more than happy to give my knowledge modifiers and let the GM do the roll and give me the results. That's faster than the GM saying 'roll this or that', me having to roll and then the GM having to announce the results. Whatever is faster I try to use.

Ok. I'll roll as appropriate, which will probably be for more background type things and passive perception type issues. If you are specifically looking or trying to remember a fact, please go ahead and roll on your own.

I'll also let you know that I'll be away from the 2nd of September until the 17th. I should have Wifi in the hotels and I take everything with me so I will be able to continue, but I might reply a bit slower at times.