Mags Kategaris - Itinerant Hedge Wizard - Oracle of Nezeris

Wizard of the Coat

Mags Kategaris
a.k.a. Mags of Skiero

Itinerant Hedge Wizard, Oracle of Nezeris

image.png.bdc4e7d788b917711614b697beea4021.png 

"The Master used to say there was only one Road; that it was like a great river: its springs were at every doorstep, and every path was its tributary"

Rogue (Arcane Trickster) 3

Medium humanoid male (human), chaotic good

Armor Class 14 (17 w/mage armor)

Hit Points 30 ( 3d8+6 max)

Speed 30' ft.

Senses passive perception 17

Languages Halaea Common, Grehesian Common, Khazian Common, Malek Common, Celestial, Irodesi, Thieves' Cant

Proficiency Bonus +2

ABILITIES & SKILLS 

Proficiency Bonus: +2

Strength 10 (+0)
Save +0
Athletics +0

Dexterity 18 (+4) 
Save +6* 
Acrobatics +4 | Sleight of Hand +11* | Stealth +8 (E)

Constitution 14 (+2)
Save +2 
No skills associated.

Intelligence 14 (+2)
Save +4
Arcana +4 | History +2 | Investigation +4 | Nature +2 | Religion +2

Wisdom 16 (+3)
Save +3
Animal Handling +3 | Insight +5 | Medicine +3 | Perception +7 (E) | Survival +3

Charisma 11 (+0) 
Save +0 
Deception +2 | Intimidation +0 | Performance +0 | Persuasion +0

*+5 bonus for Gloves of Thievery. / (E) denotes expertise. / Bold denotes proficiency.

PROFICIENCIES & ABILITIES

PROFICIENCIES

• Tools Thieves tools (+5 Pick Locks*), herbalism kit 
  • Weapons Simple weapons, hand crossbows, longswords, rapiers, shortswords
  • Armors Light

ROGUE CLASS ABILITIES

Expertise | Sneak Attack | Thieves' Cant | Cunning Action | Steady Aim

Roguish Archetype (Arcane Trickster) | Spellcasting | Mage Hand Legerdemain

RACIAL TRAITS 

Bonus Skill (Intuition) | Bonus Feat (Magic Initiate) | Bonus Language (Grehesian Common)

FEATS
Magic Initiate (Wizard: Minor Illusion, Prestidigitation, Find Familiar)

SUPERNATURAL GIFT

Oracle Ears of the OracleYou can speak, read, and write Celestial, the language of the gods. In addition, a god might deliver a message through you, and you can decide whether to use your own voice or to allow the god's voice to come through your mouth to deliver the message, translated into any language you speak., Oracle's InsightThe gods give you flashes of insight that help you bring your efforts to fruition. When you make an ability check, you can roll a d10 and add the number rolled to the check. You can wait until after you roll the d20 before deciding to add the d10, but you must decide before the DM says whether the roll succeeds or fails. Once you use this trait, you can't use it again until you finish a short or long rest., Oracle's PietyYour oracular abilities improve as your piety score increases. Instead of gaining the piety benefits associated with any god (as described in chapter 2), you gain the following traits when you reach the specified piety score.
Wisdom is your spellcasting ability for any spell that you cast through these traits.

Augury (Piety 3+ Oracle trait)
You can cast augury as a ritual with this trait. Once you do so, you can't cast it in this way again until you finish a long rest.
 | Piety 4

Oracle Curse "Nezeris intends to use me as an oracle whether I want to listen or not."

*Gloves of Thievery

WEAPONS

WEAPONS

• Dagger +6 to hit for (1d4+4) piercing damage. | Finesse, light, thrown (20/60)
  • Dart +6 to hit for (1d4+4) piercing damage. | Finesse, thrown (20/60)
  • Sling +6 to hit for (1d4+4) bludgeoning damage | Ammunition (30/120)
  • Knife +6 to hit for (1d3+4) slashing damage | Finesse, light

SPELLS

SPELL SLOTS 2/2 (1st)

Arcane Trickster - Spell Save DC: 12 | Spell Attack Mod: +4 | Spells Known: 3

CANTRIPS (Arcane Trickster)

Booming Blade | Mage Hand | Message | Minor Illusion* | Prestidigitation* 

FIRST LEVEL (Arcane Trickster)

Disguise Self | Find Familiar* | Mage Armor | Silvery Barbs (R)

ORACULAR RITUALS

Augury

MAGIC ITEM CRAFTING FORMULAS KNOWN

Chest of Preserving (XGE) | Ear Horn of Hearing (XGE) | Ersatz Eye (XGE) | Perfume of Bewitching (XGE) | Prosthetic Limb (TCE) | Ullmalyte Stonesame as Ruby of the War Mage (XGT) of the War Mage (XGE)

* Magic Initiate. / (C) Denotes concentration. / (R) Denotes reaction spell. / (B) Denotes bonus action spell.

FAMILIAR (tiny fey)

Name: Clairvoyance a.k.a. "Clair"

Clair appears in various forms in her service to Mags: most commonly as an owl, cat, rat, raven, or hawk. 

OWL FORMArmor Class 11
Hit Points 1 (1d4 - 1)
Speed 5 ft., fly 60 ft.

STR DEX CON INT WIS CHA
3 (-4) 13 (+1) 8 (-1) 2 (-4) 12 (+1) 7 (-2)

Skills Perception +3, Stealth +3
Senses darkvision 120 ft., passive Perception 13

Flyby. The owl doesn't provoke opportunity attacks when it flies out of an enemy's reach.
Keen Hearing and Sight. The owl has advantage on Wisdom (Perception) checks that rely on hearing or sight.
| CAT FORMArmor Class 12
Hit Points 2 (1d4)
Speed 40 ft., climb 30 ft.

STR DEX CON INT WIS CHA
3 (-4) 15 (+2) 10 (+0) 3 (-4) 12 (+1) 7 (-2)

Skills Perception +3, Stealth +4
Senses passive Perception 13

Keen Smell. The cat has advantage on Wisdom (Perception) checks that rely on smell.
| RAT FORMArmor Class 10
Hit Points 1 (1d4 - 1)
Speed 20 ft.
STR DEX CON INT WIS CHA
2 (-4) 11 (+0) 9 (-1) 2 (-4) 10 (+0) 4 (-3)
Senses darkvision 30 ft., passive Perception 10
Languages —
Challenge 0 (0 or 10 XP) Proficiency Bonus +2
| RAVEN FORMArmor Class 12
Hit Points 1 (1d4 - 1)
Speed 10 ft., fly 50 ft.
STR DEX CON INT WIS CHA
2 (-4) 14 (+2) 8 (-1) 2 (-4) 12 (+1) 6 (-2)
Skills Perception +3
Senses passive Perception 13
Languages —

Mimicry. The raven can mimic simple sounds it has heard, such as a person whispering, a baby crying, or an animal chittering. A creature that hears the sounds can tell they are imitations with a successful DC 10 Wisdom (Insight) check.
| HAWK FORMArmor Class 13
Hit Points 1 (1d4 - 1)
Speed 10 ft., fly 60 ft.
STR DEX CON INT WIS CHA
5 (-3) 16 (+3) 8 (-1) 2 (-4) 14 (+2) 6 (-2)
Skills Perception +4
Senses passive Perception 14
Languages —
Keen Sight. The hawk has advantage on Wisdom (Perception) checks that rely on sight.

Actions: Dash, Disengage, Dodge, Hide, Ready, Search

Reactions: Deliver Touch Spell

EQUIPMENT & ENCUMBERANCE

TOTAL ENCUMBERANCE (38.5 lbs.)

• Weight: 38 lbs. / 150 lbs. max. (15 x STR Score)
  • Penalty: None

ASSETS (1 lb.)

Brass 10 | Copper: 8 | Silver: 10 | Gold: 1 | Platinum: 0

(28 Coins x .02 lbs. = .56 lbs. Total Weight -- which I rounded up to 1 lb.)

EQUIPEMENT (37.5 lbs.)

• Weapons (5.5 lbs.) Dagger with Ullmalyte Stone of the War MageSEE: Ruby of the War Mage (XGE p138)
    Wondrous item, common (requires attunement by a spellcaster)
    DESCRIPTION: Etched with eldritch runes, this 1-inch-diameter precious stone is a polished piece of Ullmalyte: grey with bands of white and vibrant purple. The eldritch runes are etched along a central band of white and circle the stone.
    EFFECT: This stone "allows you to use a simple or martial weapon as a spellcasting focus for your spells. For this property to work, you must attach the ruby to the weapon by pressing the ruby against it for at least 10 minutes. Thereafter, the ruby can't be removed unless you detach it as an action or the weapon is destroyed. Not even an antimagic field causes it to fall off. The ruby does fall off the weapon if your attunement to the ruby ends."
    HISTORY: When the Master first found Mags, the boy was wearing this stone on a leather cord around his neck. The Ullmalyte stone is the only possession tying Mags to his mother. When the time came for Mags to complete his apprenticeship by crafting a magic item on his own, he enchanted the stone, adding the eldritch runes.
    - 1 lb. | 3 Darts - 1.5 lb. | Sling | Pouch w/20 Sling Bullets (2.5 lbs) | KnifeSmall (no machete-sized) all-purpose camp/utility knife.  .5 lbs
  • Worn (6.5 lb.) Traveler's Clothes 4 lbs. | Gloves of Thievery Wondrous item, uncommon
    DESCRIPTION: These soft leather gloves were created without fingertips, allowing for greater precision while picking locks with thieves' tools or picking pockets. The gloves are made of high-quality soft leather (of unknown origin), but are otherwise unremarkable. A careful examination reveals that the inside of the gloves are stitched with eldritch runes.
    EFFECT: These gloves are invisible while worn. While wearing them, you gain a +5 bonus to Dexterity (Sleight of Hand) checks and Dexterity checks made to pick locks.
    HISTORY: Mags had seen the gloves on occasion when the Master removed them from his hands. He knew nothing of their powers, and the Master never answered questions about them. But they day the Master left for good, Mags found the gloves in plain view, as if left behind just for him. Mags likes to think they were a parting gift left by the Master; but the Master was sometimes absent minded, and Mags suspects they may have been left behind by accident. Nevertheless, he treasures them as a link to his old mentor and friend.
    , Messenger BagSOURCE: Made this up--it's a mundane item. Basically, half the size, weight, and cost of a backpack.
    EFFECT: Weight 2.5 lbs. Carry Capacity: 15 lbs
    DESCRIPTION: This medium-sized crossbody bag includes a large central storage area and internal pockets to organize smaller items. The bag's flap is hand-tooled with eldritch patterns and runes.
    CONTENTS: Augur carries just about everything he owns in this bag. The contents are highly organized: an internal pocket or strap for everything and everything in it's place--to the degree that Augur can quickly find and remove specific items from the bag without looking.
     2.5 lb.
  • Items in Messenger Bag (10.5 lbs.) Thieves Tools 1 lb. | Herbalism Kit 3 lbs. | Mess Kit - 1 lb. | Find Familiar Spell Components (50sp) | Augury Spell Components (25 sp) | Hedge Wizard Equipment (a deck of tarot cards, a dowsing rod, a collection of tiny arcane-looking, penny-apiece trinkets) 2 lbs. | (10) Sheets of Parchment | Scroll Case 1 lbs. | Bottle of Ink | Ink Pen | Sealing Wax | sack .5 lb. | Steel Mirror .5 lb. | Lamp 1 lb. | Oil flask | 6 Candles | 2 Potions of Healing | Antitoxin Vial | Black Silk Mask | The Master's Book of Riddles | Small Coin Pouch .5 lb.
  • Items slung on shoulder (15 lbs.) Waterskin - 5 lbs. | Bedroll & Blanket - 10 lbs.

APPEARANCE

Age 19 | Height 5' 9" | Weight 126 lbs. | Hair Light Brown| Eyes Brown | Complexion Fair

Mags Kategaris looks young for his age. Despite his nineteen years, he has a boyish face framed by light brown hair and accented by elfin features. The overall effect steers him, at best, in the direction of boyish charm rather than manly handsomeness. His thin frame is wrapped in the lean well-defined muscle of an athlete who competes in speed and skill rather than sheer strength. As with his form, his face, still recovering from adolescence, is composed of somewhat boney, pointy features which will hopefully, at some future time, fill in to form a handsome face.  

BACKGROUND

Hedge Wizard 
Source Custom (I made this up)

You are one part herbalist, one part enchanter of common magic items, and one part conman, traveling the highways and byways, targeting villages too small to support a resident wizard. In your line of work, you read fortunes (that are almost always vague and extremely positive, "you will meet a handsome stranger"), conduct séances connecting your customers to their lost loved ones, sell magical trinkets capable of protecting the wearer from things like "the evil eye" and "the mischievous attention of faeries," and you also deal in a broad array of herbal remedies. Your herbal remedies are relatively helpful, while your cons generally make people happier than they were before you arrived in their village. That's because all of your cons have one thing in common, the Hedge Wizard's First Rule (as conveyed to Mags by the Master).

People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People's heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. They can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

Much of what you do boils down to reading people, understand what they believe, what they fear, and what they think will make them happy, and then selling it to them. And yet, some Hedge Wizards know enough of Arcana to craft genuine--if quite common--magic items, dabbing in both legitimate and deceptive sales practices. Ultimately, much of what you do is trickery and suggestion, but the people you tricked are usually happy with what they got for their money. As are the people who purchase genuine magical items and/or services. 

Skills Any two chosen from: Arcana, Deception, Insight

Tool Proficiencies Herbalism Kit

Language Any one chosen from: Halaea Common, Grehesian Common, Urzoa Common, Malek Common.

Equipment Traveling clothes, an herbalism kit, a deck of tarot cards, a dowsing rod, a collection of tiny arcane-looking, penny-apiece trinkets, a belt pouch containing 15 sp

• Personality Traits: 
    • Lonely. "The Master was everything to me: father-figure, arcane mentor, traveling companion, and friend. I miss the company and go out of my way to talk to and be with others."
    • Perceptive/Insightful. "I'm pretty good at reading people and noticing important details. And I tend to observe more than interact."
    • Well-Mannered. "The Master frowned upon "normal" boy behavior, so I learned early in life to control my impulses. I tend to be polite, respectful, and maybe a little too good at "knowing my place."
    • Upbeat. "I don't get down easily. My glass is more often half full than half empty." 
    • Curious. "The Master was forever telling me I ask too many questions." 
    • Wanderlust. "The open road, a trusty walking stick, good company, a campfire under the stars: it ain't much, but it's all the happiness I need in life."
    • Adventurous. "Although I don't like to admit it, I like a little more excitement in my life than most people would prefer."
    • Devout. "I take seriously my calling as an Oracle of Nezeris. I don't openly wear his symbol, but he's a god of trickery, and prefers that I serve without religious guise." 
  • Ideals: 
    • Transformative Travel. "As the Master says, travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness. The world would be a better place if more common folk could travel about safely."
    • The Irrelevance of Truth. "As the master once told me... Sometimes, the things that may or may not be true are the things that a person needs to believe in the most. That people are basically good; that honor, courage, and virtue mean everything; that power and money mean nothing. That good always triumphs over evil, and that love--true love--never dies. No matter if they're true or not, a person should believe in those things because those are the things worth believing in." 
  • Bonds: 
    • Oracular Gift. "I am a recipient of Nezeris' three-fold gift. As such, I will go where the road calls, delivering his messages along the way, helping to bring about his good will through the tricks of my trade. 
  • Flaws: 
    • Righteous Indignation. "I've got a devil inside me. He comes out when I see villains preying upon the weak, or brigands preying upon travelers."
    • Shy. "I easily get flustered around pretty girls, smart people, pushy people... you get the picture."

Background Feature: The Common Man's Wizard.

When you arrive in smaller communities in your role as hedge wizard, you receive free lodging and food of a modest standard. In addition, your work (reading fortunes, conducting séances, providing herbal remedies to the sick, selling protective trinkets...) leads your clients to open up and tell you things, allowing you access to information they might not publicly share about themselves or others in their community.

BACKSTORY

1. Missing Mentor: Central to Mags' backstory is his missing mentor, who Mags refers to only as the Master

--an elderly and talented hedge wizard. Mags' earliest memory is of tragedy and horror: fire, swords clashing, blood spraying, people screaming. After that, he only remembers being with the Master, who claims to have found the youth hidden (but crying) within a roadside shrine of Nezeris, situated at a remote crossroads--situated near Skiero in Halaea--littered with the tragic ruins of an ambushed caravan. The Master took the boy as an apprentice. Mags spent the remainder of his formative years traveling with the Master.

• The Master was a larger-than-life eccentric character who dominated Mags' formative years. Almost everything that came out of the guy's mouth was a quotable quote. If you believed the guy's stories, he'd been everywhere and done everything. Think Gandalf in Tolkien's work: not just because of Gandalf's presence but also because Gandalf is basically a guy with the stories appropriate for a powerful arch mage although he operates as a hedge wizard (selling fireworks to halfings, using cantrips to foil Trolls...), possibly because he's hiding his powers and presence from some dark overlord of the far realm.
  • The Master was an enigma who's motives and future are unknown to Mags. Like Mags, the Master was a hedge wizard with oracular powers. He spent his life trying to track down a particular treasure, a bit like Indiana Jones' dad trying to track down the Holy Grail. It is possible that the Master was a great Diviner who had seen some important vision and was fanatically committed to finding some key treasure in order to prevent some foreseen disaster. What ever this treasure was, it involved ley lines, some ancient curse, and the Arbiters--at least, that's the impression conveyed by random details the Master let slip in Mags' presence. Of course, it is equally likely that the guy was just a hedge wizard and conman looking to get rich. Either way, the key issue is that the Master is the one person who Mags could NEVER accurately read and for whom Mags' oracular powers seemed never to intervene with divine messages. Perhaps this is the result of Mags' feelings clouding his vision and judgment. Perhaps the Master actually WAS a powerful wizard on an important mission, using rituals and artifacts to hide himself from the divinatory powers of his enemies.
  • The Master was a polarizing figure. The Master was too eccentric to care what others thought of him. Add to that the unrelenting pursuit of his treasure, and you can see how he might have pissed a few people off along the way. He had the kind of eccentric charisma that made people either love him or hate him. Consequently, he created more than a few enemies.
  • The Master's Disappearance. The Master didn't disappear all at once--it was a gradual process. At first, he would send Mags ahead to the next village on his own, to secure lodgings and announce the Master's arrival. Then he started sending Mags on errands that took days, explaining that he had promoted Mags to Journeyman Apprentice.  Next, the Master started leaving on errands for which he provided no explanation and no clear return date--but he always announced these departures before leaving. But then came the day--several weeks ago--when the Master was simply gone: nowhere to be found--leaving Mags in the middle of a magical crafting that had been paid for in advance. Mags couldn't just abandon the job, but by the time he finished crafting the Chest of Preservation several days later, the Master's trail had gone cold. Mags has no solid theory to explain the Master's disappearance. For months, the Master had indicated that he was getting closer to discovering his missing treasure. Mags suspected that the treasure was no pile of coins, but some ancient artifact or perhaps some boon of the Gods.  The Master never spoke in detail about the treasure. Mags wonders if the Master's disappearance could have something to do with the strange dream that has recently plagued him. The night before the Master left was the night Mags had first dreamed the dream: the burning city, the celestial personage, the searing eye, and the cryptic prophecy. Mags had shared the dream with the Master that morning, and the Master had disappeared before the sun set that day. 

2. Oracle of Nezeris: From a very early age, Mags was plagued by voices and visions from Nezeris, the Lord of the Path. These experiences with the Lord of the Path have had a profound influence on every aspect of Mags' identity and outlook. 

• Massacre at the Crossroads Shrine. Perhaps due to the trauma of the caravan attack that removed all of his loved ones from his life, Mags remembers little to nothing of his life before the Master. His earliest memory is of his mother, carrying him while running through fire and screams and the clash of battle, hiding him in the strange little roadside shrine, telling him to pray to the little god in the shrine for protection, and assuring him that he would be safe if he did so. Mags remembers hiding there, his eyes shut tight, doing his best to stay quiet, and praying to that little idol, pleading for his life and that of his mother, promising to "be good and obey" if the little god would save them. That was the first time he heard the whispers, the first time he saw the visions. They were new and strange and... exciting, showing him a world where he was tall and powerful and could fight to save those he loved. The visions distracted him from his immediate fears. And when they were over, he was alive and the massacre had concluded. He peered from his hiding place in the little shrine, saw the destruction, and wept bitterly, to afraid to leave his hiding place. 
  • A Reluctant Oracle. Nezeris' whispers and visions were not random. There was a synchronicity between the revelations and the events and encounters in the young boy's life. He would see or hear things he did not fully understand, and then he and the Master would encounter someone on the road, and it would all make sense--Mags having seen the person in vision, and heard voices with messages for that individual. As a young timid boy coping with significant trauma, Mags resisted the impulse to speak these messages. The voices often said hard things, and the visions often showed heartache and pain. He did not like this strange power, seeing it as a curse. But the more he resisted, the louder the whispers grew, the visions occupying not only his dreams, but his idle moments of wakefulness. He grew so distracted that the Master thought the boy simple. After nearly two years of life with this accentuated curse, there came a night where Mags dreamed a vision about himself and the Master, and he heard whispers declaring what they must do if they were to survive the next day of travel. Mags told the Master what he'd dreamed. Naturally, the Master asked if Mags had ever before had such dreams. Mags answered truthfully and that was the end of Mags' reluctance to serve as Nezeris' oracle--the Master making clear to the boy that his further resistance would likely end in their deaths. 
  • Life Lessons for an Oracle in Training. Mags' life changed forever once he accepted his fate as Nezeris' Oracle. His change of heart was accompanied be a cascade of visions, most of them repeats from his earlier experience in the crossroads shrine, but some of them new and troubling. After this initial burst of revelation, the visions and whispers actually diminished, becoming much more manageable, allowing Mags to sleep restfully most nights, and concentrate on his work and studies with the Master. As he leaned into his role as Oracle, Mags grew in his capacity to hear and see, realizing that the voices were often present--if he had ears to hear. Similarly, he grew in his capacity to see visions in his waking hours--the visions were not nearly as common as the whispers. In this way, Mags learned that Nezeris did not always care to explain the messages Mags was to speak. What mattered most was that Mags listened to the whispered messages, and relayed them to the individuals for whom they were meant. In time, Mags learned that he could speak the words of these messages with a voice that was not his--indeed, a voice that was not mortal, but divine. Over time, Mags came to realize that visions of the future were actually quite rare. More commonly, he saw some past or present scene that made sense of the message he was to deliver. By far, the most important lesson Mags learned was that Nezeris was not just chaotic, but good. Too many people saw the Path Maker as capricious in his trickery, but the world opened up to Mags via Nezeris' three-fold gift was one in which the trickster played tricks and delivered messages that served as deeply personal invitations to change and grow and love and live well. There was a method to the trickster's madness. 
  • The Recurring Dream. For the past several weeks, Mags, as was his wont, has been dreaming dreams with messages. Only, these are the same dream, repeated almost every night, crowding out his usual oracular dreams about small everyday things, conveying messages for the people he meets in the course of his travels. This dream is different. A foretelling of the future almost certainly, but a troubling and unclear message from two opposing forces--gods perhaps. Mags had none of the usual Oracular understanding of this dream. He only knew that he had to depart the Khazian Empire and return to Halaea and Baromenes. Perhaps if Baromenes was a bust, he might travel to Thespoe to consult the Oracle. 

3. Life on the Road: Mags grew up on the road. Even his few memories of a life prior to the Master involve brief flashes and images of caravan travel with his mother. Growing up, Mags never played at having adventures like other boys did. His life was an adventure. He and the master never stayed long in one place, traveling with caravans or sometimes alone, spending more time on the byways than the highways, staying in remote villages more than towering cities. Mags' travels with the Master spanned Halaea, the Grehesian Empire, the Khazian Empire, and--to a lesser degree--beyond. Although his home is the road, the Master found him at a remote crossroads in Halaea, in lands controlled by Skiero. When asked by authorities who insist on such things, Mags typically claims that he is from Halaea, not far from Skiero. 

• Chores, Lessons, and Drills. Mags' life with the master was an adventure, but it was also work. He had little time for fun and games and boyish pursuits. Life on the road meant daily chores: gathering firewood, foraging, hunting or fishing when game was plentiful, cooking, fetching water, and more. And then there were the lessons: reading, writing, arithmetic, arcana, the names and properties of herbs, basic lessons about the Gods and the great kingdoms... there was always more to learn. And there were lessons about peoples and cultures: how different peoples varied in their customs, values, and behaviors, how they could best be understood, how they could be tricked. Mags developed a love for all learning, always eager to complete his chores in the hope of a good lesson. But after the chores were done and the lessons were over, it was time for the drills. The Master was a spry old man who taught Mags basic fencing, how to keep your head during combat, what to pay attention to and what not to pay attention to, and most important of all: how to fight dirty and use trickery to defeat your opponent. Finally, there were the drills and lessons that occurred after sundown: the Master taught the boy how to pick a pocket or a lock, to sneak about, and to spot a trap, to communicate discretely with those of the criminal underworld, and other questionable skills that made Mags wonder about the man he idolized. In hindsight, Mags looks back upon all the lessons and drills, and the sense of urgency the Master conveyed, and wonders if he was being groomed for some purpose known only to the Master. Or maybe the guy was just very demanding.
  • Lots of Training, Little Action. Despite the extensive training, Mags has little real experience with life-or-death combat. The Master's philosophy was that running away was always better than fighting. Most of the danger Mags and the Master faced they circumvented through trickery or flight. Rarely did they fight. In a sense, Mags does not truly understand just how lethal he can be--if he ever needs to be. He is a trained killer, but he sees himself as the guy who runs away, sneaks away, or overcomes adversaries through trickery. 
  • The Places I've Been and the Things I've Seen. Mags' travels with the Master have taken him all over Halaea, the Grehesian Empire, and the Khazian Empire--and on a few occasions, beyond. He has seen a Grehesian airship sailing the midnight winds across a harvest moon. He's seen Khazak Ur-Stan's River Gate flowing gold in the last setting sun of summer. He has walked the Mithral Road and seen the Glittering City from afar, reflecting the light of a thousand twinkling stars on a moonless night, hovering on a rise too dark to discern as if freed from her foundation stones. Granted, Mags has seen many more villages than great cities, and found majesty in more humble circumstances, but those have been more deeply personal. 
  • Ley Lines. Mags eventually learned that much of the Master's travel was dictated by ley lines. The Master had a sense for the lines, and they were somehow tied to his search for his mysterious treasure. Mags tried to develop a connection to the ley lines, but so far his efforts have proven fruitless. 

Edited by Wizard of the Coat (see edit history)
Name
Ability Scores
repeat(drop(reroll(4d6,1,below),lowest),6) 4,4,6,2,1,5,3,1,2,2,2,5,1,4,5,3,3,1,6,1,6,1,1,2,4,4,3,5,3,6,6

Reserved for Stuff

Starting Gear

• Rogue Class Gear I'm Not Keeping: rapier (25 sp), shortbow (25 sp), quiver (1 sp), 20 arrows (1 sp), leather armor (5 sp), burglar's pack (8 sp), all sold for 36.5 sp  
  • Rogue Class Gear I'm Keeping: dagger, thieves' tools
  • Background Class Gear: Traveling clothes, an herbalism kit, a deck of tarot cards, a dowsing rod, a collection of tiny arcane-looking, penny-apiece trinkets, a belt pouch containing 15 sp
  • Bonus Starting Cash: 200 sp. 
  • TOTAL STARTING CASH: 251 sp 5 cp
  • Purchases:
    • black silk mask 2 sp
    • messenger bag 1 sp
    • sling + 20 sling bullets 5 cp
    • pouch 5 sp
    • 3 darts 15 cp
    • knife 5 cp
    • mess kit 2 cp
    • scroll case 1 sp
    • 10 sheets of parchment 10 cp
    • sealing wax (5 cp)
    • ink pen .2 cp
    • sack .1 cp
    • chalk (1 piece) .1 cp
    • 6 candles .6 cp
    • waterskin 2 cp
    • bedroll 1 sp
    • blanket 5 cp
    • lamp (1 lb) 5 cp
    • oil flask 1 cp
    • steel mirror (5 sp)
    • ink (1 ounce bottle) 10 sp
    • Find Familiar spell components 50 sp,
    • Augur spell components 25 sp
    • Crafting costs for 2 potions of healing 50 sp
    • Crafting costs for 1 antitoxin potion 25 sp
  • TOTAL STARTING PURCHASES: 190 sp  & 6 cp
  • TOTAL STARTING CASH AFTER PURCHASES: 60 sp & 9 cp

Item Crafting

Items Crafted with the Herbalist Kit

According to XGE, Potions of Healing are exceptions to the rules of "Crafting Magic Items." You just need to be proficient with the Herbalism Kit and have materials equal to half the cost of the potion. 

• Antitoxin: a popular item in areas where venomous snakes are common
  • Potion of Healing: perhaps Augur's biggest money maker

Magic Items Crafted with the Arcana Skill 

According to XGE, to craft a magic item, you need to first learn the magical formula for constructing it. No guidelines are provided as to how a would-be crafter might acquire such a formula. I'm assuming Augur learned several such formula's from the Master because (according to XGE) two crafters can work on the same crafting project, halving the time of construction. Below is an explanation of the Master's philosophy on items worth crafting, as well as a list of specific items Augur learned how to make. 

According to XGE, the formula or recipe for crafting an item always involves an exotic ingredient that can only be obtained by facing a creature of a particular CR Range in the course of an adventure. XGE notes that "facing a creature does not necessarily mean that the characters must collect items from its corpse. Rather, the creature might guard a location or a resource that the characters need access to." The creature CR Range that must be faced to obtain the exotic material for a Common magic item is CR 1-3.    

The Master's Philosophy on Item Construction: The Master had one important rule when it came to crafting magic items: he did not create items that would put others out of work, i.e. clothes of mending or a Cloak of Many Fashions mean less repair work for tailors, Heward's Handy Spice Pouch could put the local spice merchant out of business...

Items Augur Learned to Craft in the Pursuit of his Trade as a Hedge Wizard's Apprentice: The Master knew how to create many common magic items. The following is a list of those magic item formulas Augur learned, helping the Master to obtain their respective exotic ingredients, and then crafting the items. 

• Chest of Preserving (XGE): to the right buyer (a tavern owner, innkeep, butchers, baker...) this is a must have item. 
  • Ear Horn of Hearing (XGE): a popular item with the hard-of-hearing gaffers of the village
  • Ersatz Eye (XGT): basically, an artificial eye. Not a common request, but those who need one are willing to pay the full price.
  • Perfume of Bewitching: not quite a love potion, but nevertheless a popular request. 
  • Prosthetic Limb (TCE): Again, not a common request, but those who need one are willing to pay full price without haggling.

image.png

Mags Katergaris - Itinerant Hedge Wizard 

AC: 14 (17with Mage Armor)  | HP: 30/30 | Initiative: +4Oracular Insight (I'll often use this for important initiative checks)
"The gods give you flashes of insight that help you bring your efforts to fruition. When you make an ability check, you can roll a d10 and add the number rolled to the check. You can wait until after you roll the d20 before deciding to add the d10, but you must decide before the DM says whether the roll succeeds or fails. Once you use this trait, you can't use it again until you finish a short or long rest."
| Passive Perception: 17 | Spell Slots 2/2 (1st)

Statblock

Male Human (Varient) Rogue (Arcane Trickster) 3

Languages Halaea Common, Grehesian Common, Khazian Common, Celestial, Thieves' Cant 

Background Hedge Wizard Background Feature The Common Folks' WizardWhen you arrive in smaller communities in your role as hedge wizard, you receive free lodging and food of a modest standard. In addition, your work (reading fortunes, conducting séances, providing herbal remedies to the sick, selling protective trinkets...) leads your clients to open up and tell you things, allowing you access to information they might not publicly share about themselves or others in their community.

StrSave +0
Athletics +0
10 DexSave +6*
Acrobatics +4 | Sleight of Hand +11* | Stealth +8 (E)
18 ConSave +2
No skills associated.
14 IntSave +4
Arcana +4 | History +2 | Investigation +4 | Nature +2 | Religion +2
14 WisSave +3
Animal Handling +3 | Insight +5 | Medicine +3 | Perception +7 (E) | Survival +3
16 ChaSave +0
Deception +2 | Intimidation +0 | Performance +0 | Persuasion +0

ProficiencyTools: Thieves tools (+5 Pick Locks*), herbalism kit
Weapons: Simple weapons, hand crossbows, longswords, rapiers, shortswords
Armors: Light
Bonus +2 Saving Throws Dex, Int

Speed 30 (60 w/Cunning Action Dash)

Actions

• Booming BladeEvocation cantrip
    Casting Time: 1 action
    Range: Self (5-foot radius)
    Components: S, M (a melee weapon worth at least 1 sp)
    Duration: 1 round

You brandish the weapon used in the spell's casting and make a melee attack with it against one creature within 5 feet of you. On a hit, the target suffers the weapon attack's normal effects and then becomes sheathed in booming energy until the start of your next turn. If the target willingly moves 5 feet or more before then, the target takes 1d8 thunder damage, and the spell ends.

This spell's damage increases when you reach certain levels. At 5th level, the melee attack deals an extra 1d8 thunder damage to the target on a hit, and the damage the target takes for moving increases to 2d8. Both damage rolls increase by 1d8 at 11th level (2d8 and 3d8) and again at 17th level (3d8 and 4d8).
  • Dagger +6 to hit for [1d4+4 (+2d6 w/sneak attack)] piercing damage. | Finesse, light, thrown (20/60)
  • Dart +6 to hit for [1d4+4 (+2d6 w/sneak attack)] piercing damage. | Finesse, thrown (20/60)
  • Sling +6 to hit for [1d4+4 (+2d6 w/sneak attack)] bludgeoning damage | Ammunition (30/120)
  • Knife +6 to hit for [1d3+4 (+2d6 w/sneak attack)] slashing damage | Finesse, light

Bonus Actions

• Knife (2 Weapon Fighting) +6 to hit for [1d3 (+2d6 w/sneak attack)] slashing damage | Finesse, light
  • Cunning ActionStarting at 2nd level, your quick thinking and agility allow you to move and act quickly. You can take a bonus action on each of your turns in combat. This action can be used only to take the Dash, Disengage, or Hide action. (Dash, Disengage, Hide, Mage Hand LegerdemainStarting at 3rd level, when you cast mage hand, you can make the spectral hand invisible, and you can perform the following additional tasks with it:

>You can stow one object the hand is holding in a container worn or carried by another creature.
    >You can retrieve an object in a container worn or carried by another creature.
    >You can use thieves' tools to pick locks and disarm traps at range.

You can perform one of these tasks without being noticed by a creature if you succeed on a Dexterity (Sleight of Hand) check contested by the creature's Wisdom (Perception) check.

In addition, you can use the bonus action granted by your Cunning Action to control the hand.
    )
  • Steady AimAs a bonus action, you give yourself advantage on your next attack roll on the current turn. You can use this bonus action only if you haven't moved during this turn, and after you use the bonus action, your speed is 0 until the end of the current turn.

Reactions

• Silvery Barbs1st-level enchantment
    Casting Time: 1 reaction, which you take when a creature you can see within 60 feet of yourself succeeds on an attack roll, an ability check, or a saving throw
    Range: 60 feet
    Components: V
    Duration: Instantaneous

You magically distract the triggering creature and turn its momentary uncertainty into encouragement for another creature. The triggering creature must reroll the d20 and use the lower roll.

You can then choose a different creature you can see within range (you can choose yourself). The chosen creature has advantage on the next attack roll, ability check, or saving throw it makes within 1 minute. A creature can be empowered by only one use of this spell at a time.
  • Opportunity Attack (with additional Sneak Attack)

Other/Free Actions

• Oracle's InsightThe gods give you flashes of insight that help you bring your efforts to fruition. When you make an ability check, you can roll a d10 and add the number rolled to the check. You can wait until after you roll the d20 before deciding to add the d10, but you must decide before the DM says whether the roll succeeds or fails. Once you use this trait, you can't use it again until you finish a short or long rest.

Spell Save DC: 12 | Spell Attack Mod: +4

Cantrips Booming BladeEvocation cantrip
Range: Self (5-foot radius)
Components: S, M (a melee weapon worth at least 1 sp)

You brandish the weapon used in the spell's casting and make a melee attack with it against one creature within 5 feet of you. On a hit, the target suffers the weapon attack's normal effects and then becomes sheathed in booming energy until the start of your next turn. If the target willingly moves 5 feet or more before then, the target takes 1d8 thunder damage, and the spell ends.

This spell's damage increases when you reach certain levels. At 5th level, the melee attack deals an extra 1d8 thunder damage to the target on a hit, and the damage the target takes for moving increases to 2d8. Both damage rolls increase by 1d8 at 11th level (2d8 and 3d8) and again at 17th level (3d8 and 4d8).
 | Mage HandConjuration cantrip
Range: 30 feet
Components: V, S
Duration: 1 minute

A spectral, floating hand appears at a point you choose within range. The hand lasts for the duration or until you dismiss it as an action. The hand vanishes if it is ever more than 30 feet away from you or if you cast this spell again.

You can use your action to control the hand. You can use the hand to manipulate an object, open an unlocked door or container, stow or retrieve an item from an open container, or pour the contents out of a vial. You can move the hand up to 30 feet each time you use it.

The hand can't attack, activate magic items, or carry more than 10 pounds.
 | MessageTransmutation cantrip
Range: 120 feet
Components: V, S, M (a short piece of copper wire)

You point your finger toward a creature within range and whisper a message. The target (and only the target) hears the message and can reply in a whisper that only you can hear.

You can cast this spell through solid objects if you are familiar with the target and know it is beyond the barrier. Magical silence, 1 foot of stone, 1 inch of common metal, a thin sheet of lead, or 3 feet of wood blocks the spell. The spell doesn't have to follow a straight line and can travel freely around corners or through openings.
 | Minor IllusionIllusion cantrip
Range: 30 feet
Components: S, M (a bit of fleece)
Duration: 1 minute

You create a sound or an image of an object within range that lasts for the duration. The illusion also ends if you dismiss it as an action or cast this spell again.

If you create a sound, its volume can range from a whisper to a scream. It can be your voice, someone else's voice, a lion's roar, a beating of drums, or any other sound you choose. The sound continues unabated throughout the duration, or you can make discrete sounds at different times before the spell ends.

If you create an image of an object—such as a chair, muddy footprints, or a small chest—it must be no larger than a 5-foot cube. The image can't create sound, light, smell, or any other sensory effect. Physical interaction with the image reveals it to be an illusion, because things can pass through it.

If a creature uses its action to examine the sound or image, the creature can determine that it is an illusion with a successful Intelligence (Investigation) check against your spell save DC. If a creature discerns the illusion for what it is, the illusion becomes faint to the creature.
| PrestidigitationTransmutation cantrip
Range: 10 feet
Duration: Up to 1 hour

This spell is a minor magical trick that novice spellcasters use for practice. You create one of the following magical effects within range:

>You create an instantaneous, harmless sensory effect, such as a shower of sparks, a puff of wind, faint musical notes, or an odd odor.
>You instantaneously light or snuff out a candle, a torch, or a small campfire.
>You instantaneously clean or soil an object no larger than 1 cubic foot.
>You chill, warm, or flavor up to 1 cubic foot of nonliving material for 1 hour.
>You make a color, a small mark, or a symbol appear on an object or a surface for 1 hour.
>You create a nonmagical trinket or an illusory image that can fit in your hand and that lasts until the end of your next turn.

If you cast this spell multiple times, you can have up to three of its non-instantaneous effects active at a time, and you can dismiss such an effect as an action.

Spells Disguise Self1st-level illusion
Range: Self
Duration: 1 hour

You make yourself—including your clothing, armor, weapons, and other belongings on your person—look different until the spell ends or until you use your action to dismiss it. You can seem 1 foot shorter or taller and can appear thin, fat, or in between. You can't change your body type, so you must adopt a form that has the same basic arrangement of limbs. Otherwise, the extent of the illusion is up to you.

The changes wrought by this spell fail to hold up to physical inspection. For example, if you use this spell to add a hat to your outfit, objects pass through the hat, and anyone who touches it would feel nothing or would feel your head and hair. If you use this spell to appear thinner than you are, the hand of someone who reaches out to touch you would bump into you while it was seemingly still in midair.

To discern that you are disguised, a creature can use its action to inspect your appearance and must succeed on an Intelligence (Investigation) check against your spell save DC.
| Find FamiliarCasting Time: 1 hour
Range: 10 feet
Components: V, S, M (10 gp worth of charcoal, incense, and herbs that must be consumed by fire in a brass brazier)

You gain the service of a familiar, a spirit that takes an animal form you choose: bat, cat, crab, frog (toad), hawk, lizard, octopus, owl, poisonous snake, fish (quipper), rat, raven, sea horse, spider, or weasel. Appearing in an unoccupied space within range, the familiar has the statistics of the chosen form, though it is a celestial, fey, or fiend (your choice) instead of a beast.

Additional animal form choices may be available at the DM's discretion.

Your familiar acts independently of you, but it always obeys your commands. In combat, it rolls its own initiative and acts on its own turn. A familiar can't attack, but it can take other actions as normal.

When the familiar drops to 0 hit points, it disappears, leaving behind no physical form. It reappears after you cast this spell again. As an action, you can temporarily dismiss the familiar to a pocket dimension. Alternatively, you can dismiss it forever. As an action while it is temporarily dismissed, you can cause it to reappear in any unoccupied space within 30 feet of you. Whenever the familiar drops to 0 hit points or disappears into the pocket dimension, it leaves behind in its space anything it was wearing or carrying.

While your familiar is within 100 feet of you, you can communicate with it telepathically. Additionally, as an action, you can see through your familiar's eyes and hear what it hears until the start of your next turn, gaining the benefits of any special senses that the familiar has. During this time, you are deaf and blind with regard to your own senses.

You can't have more than one familiar at a time. If you cast this spell while you already have a familiar, you instead cause it to adopt a new form. Choose one of the forms from the above list. Your familiar transforms into the chosen creature.

Finally, when you cast a spell with a range of touch, your familiar can deliver the spell as if it had cast the spell. Your familiar must be within 100 feet of you, and it must use its reaction to deliver the spell when you cast it. If the spell requires an attack roll, you use your attack modifier for the roll.
| Mage Armor1st-level abjuration
Range: Touch
Components: V, S, M (a piece of cured leather)
Duration: 8 hours

You touch a willing creature who isn't wearing armor, and a protective magical force surrounds it until the spell ends. The target's base AC becomes 13 + its Dexterity modifier. The spell ends if the target dons armor or if you dismiss the spell as an action.
 |
Silvery Barbs1st-level enchantment
Casting Time: 1 reaction, which you take when a creature you can see within 60 feet of yourself succeeds on an attack roll, an ability check, or a saving throw
Range: 60 feet
Components: V

You magically distract the triggering creature and turn its momentary uncertainty into encouragement for another creature. The triggering creature must reroll the d20 and use the lower roll.

You can then choose a different creature you can see within range (you can choose yourself). The chosen creature has advantage on the next attack roll, ability check, or saving throw it makes within 1 minute. A creature can be empowered by only one use of this spell at a time.

Rituals Augury2nd-level divination (ritual)
Casting Time: 1 minute
Range: Self
Components: V, S, M (specially marked sticks, bones, or similar tokens worth at least 25 gp)

By casting gem-inlaid sticks, rolling dragon bones, laying out ornate cards, or employing some other divining tool, you receive an omen from an otherworldly entity about the results of a specific course of action that you plan to take within the next 30 minutes. The DM chooses from the following possible omens:

>Weal, for good results
>Woe, for bad results
>Weal and woe, for both good and bad results
>Nothing, for results that aren't especially good or bad

The spell doesn't take into account any possible circumstances that might change the outcome, such as the casting of additional spells or the loss or gain of a companion.

If you cast the spell two or more times before completing your next long rest, there is a cumulative 25 percent chance for each casting after the first that you get a random reading. The DM makes this roll in secret.

JojenReedGoT.png.8d479f32832dc1f5a7cb0cf177c1a2ad.png

Post goes here.

"Speech"

thoughts in italics

Mechanics

Main Hand: Empty
Off Hand: Empty

Action 1: Your action goes here.
Action 2: Your action goes here.
Action 3: Your action goes here.

38 minutes ago, Wizard of the Coat said:

@TheWordWeaver For the Supernatural Gift, will you be using the Piety mechanic? In other words, will my character's supernatural gift (Oracle) be able to advance as he progresses in Piety?  And if so, how will that work? Should I read the source material for the answer or will you be handling it differently? 

Yes, Piety will be used and will be handled much how the source material describes, and no worries I'm happy answering questions 😛

Edited by TheWordWeaver (see edit history)

In that case...

1. The Piety rules indicate the following as a reasonable expectation of a PC's advancement in Piety.

As a general rule, you can expect to increase your piety by 1 during most sessions of play, assuming that you are following your god's tenets.

That brings to mind two questions. First, any chance you'll be awarding some amount of Piety based on our player application/Backstory, reflecting the past Piety we would have earned in the process of reaching Level 3. Second, mechanics that are based on "sessions of play" tend to breakdown when applied to PbP. What is done in one 5 our session of FtF play might take months or even a year in PbP. So should we expect, as with XP and leveling, that our Piety scores will remain relatively stagnant in this PbP medium?

2. I was very happy to see that Nezeris, your God of Trickery, also the "Path Maker" and "Messenger," is Chaotic Good. This is such a cool pairing of roles and alignment! I was hooked as soon as I read it. (Yeah, I saw that his offical portfolio only includes Arcana and Trickery--which is a perfect fit for an Arcane Trickster, but...) My character will be an Oracle of Nezeris, and I've designed the character concept to incorporate these three (Nezerisian?) themes of travel, trickery, and delivering messages (implied in Nezeris' titles). If you read between the lines of some of what I've written, you'll see that I have particular ideas about what Nezeris is all about and what it is like to serve him. So, I'm wondering, are players allowed any degree of "world building latitude" with regard to the conceptualization of (some of) the deities you've provided?  Or do you have the Gods and their agendas clearly mapped out as part of the world that is closed to player world building? If you are open to world building on this issue--or even dialog--I've got ideas about a conceptualization of Nezeris I'd like to pitch. 

3. A central idea of this character concept is that he's a hedge wizard (a conman/minor wizard steeped in the tradition of self-taught wizards) even though mechanically he is an Arcane Trickster. So one of my goals is to make him appear as a (minor) wizard more than a rogue. Hence he wears no armor and fights with a dagger and... you get the idea. That said, (mechanically speaking) it would be a bad idea to give him ranged combat cantrips because his potential for ranged sneak attack will always be much more effective. And yet, I'd like there to be something magical about his ranged fighting. You've indicated that the sources for character creation are limited to official sources, which is fine by me. I've finished the mechanics for the character at this point, and if he relies heavily on his sling and darts for ranged combat, I can live with that. However, I'm wondering if you would occasionally make exceptions to your "official sources only" policy. Specifically, I'm wondering if there might exist a cantrip that would operate as do Booming Blade, Green Flame Blade, and other cantrips that require you to make a weapon attack as part of the cantrip--but rather than provide additional damage or rider effects to a melee attack, this cantrip would apply to a ranged attack with a light thrown weapon, and its only effect would be to cause the weapon to return to the caster's hand after the attack. This would look cool and feel magical--in a "minor magical" way. And it would allow my PC to walk around with only one weapon on his person, which he would use for melee or ranged attacks, giving him the flavor of relying less upon an arsenal of weapons and more upon magic to support his fighting.  And given that he's got sneak attack potential, it would be pretty cool that he's throwing a dagger which is doing much more damage than it should (due to sneak attack) and then returning to his hand due to his spell casting. No worries if this is a "hard no." Frankly, I'm not even sure I'd be willing to give up one of my current cantrips to get this proposed cantrip. I just wanted to know if something like this would be an option. 

4. A central idea of this character concept is that the character is young--at the border between adolescence and adulthood. In 3.5, that age would have been 16, but 5e didn't keep those granular rules, instead saying simply that "Humans reach adulthood in their late teens." Using that standard, sixteen would be the midpoint between early and late adolescence. Does 16 fit your setting? I've been assuming that my PC has been traveling and having adventures in his childhood and early(er) adolescence that got him to this minimum "adult" age (for a human) with enough XP to already be 3rd level. I'm also assuming a typical Western-European feudal setting where a sixteen year old would be capable of setting off on his own to make a life for himself. Does this sound right for this setting?  Do you have any concerns about me playing a minor (by modern standards)?  

5. I thought I saw a spot on your pages where you providing naming conventions for the setting, but maybe I was looking at a different game. Do you have information somewhere about naming conventions we might use in naming our characters?  If so, can you point me in the right direction?

6. I made a custom Background that will serve as a significant part of this character concept. If it's a thumbs down from you, I'll need to rework a few aspects of the concept. So I'm wondering if this is the kind of thing you would be willing to look over and provide feedback/approval/disapproval before the submission deadline. 

7. I've got starting gear from my class that I won't be needing/using. Do you allow players to sell gear they don't want at half price in order to buy stuff they do want?  I can afford to take the loss. But if I can start with more money, that's good. Related to this question, what are the limits of what we can purchase with our starting 200 sp?  Can we, for example, purchase healing potions? Better yet, can we use the money to have previously crafted minor magic items or healing potions (as per the revised "Downtime" rules in Xanathar's Guide to Everything)? I ask because this is part of what pre-campaign-start Augur does with his money, he uses it to craft minor magic items which he sells in his role as a hedge wizard. 

8. Are you OK with refluffing of spells. For example, could I refluff Silvery Barbs as a divination effect related to Augur's ability to hear whispers of warning, doing or saying things that swing combats in his favor. Similarly, could I refluff Mage Armor as more of the same: the whispers helping Augur, anticipate his opponent's moves, dodging or avoiding attacks through trickery and/or seemingly preternatural reflexes? 

9. Totally random, but... I saw that there are airships in this setting. Way cool! How common are they? How affordable is travel by air as opposed to travel by sea?  

That's plenty of questions for now. Thanks for your willingness to answer questions!

3 hours ago, Wizard of the Coat said:

In that case...

1. The Piety rules indicate the following as a reasonable expectation of a PC's advancement in Piety.

That brings to mind two questions. First, any chance you'll be awarding some amount of Piety based on our player application/Backstory, reflecting the past Piety we would have earned in the process of reaching Level 3. Second, mechanics that are based on "sessions of play" tend to breakdown when applied to PbP. What is done in one 5 our session of FtF play might take months or even a year in PbP. So should we expect, as with XP and leveling, that our Piety scores will remain relatively stagnant in this PbP medium?

2. I was very happy to see that Nezeris, your God of Trickery, also the "Path Maker" and "Messenger," is Chaotic Good. This is such a cool pairing of roles and alignment! I was hooked as soon as I read it. (Yeah, I saw that his offical portfolio only includes Arcana and Trickery--which is a perfect fit for an Arcane Trickster, but...) My character will be an Oracle of Nezeris, and I've designed the character concept to incorporate these three (Nezerisian?) themes of travel, trickery, and delivering messages (implied in Nezeris' titles). If you read between the lines of some of what I've written, you'll see that I have particular ideas about what Nezeris is all about and what it is like to serve him. So, I'm wondering, are players allowed any degree of "world building latitude" with regard to the conceptualization of (some of) the deities you've provided?  Or do you have the Gods and their agendas clearly mapped out as part of the world that is closed to player world building? If you are open to world building on this issue--or even dialog--I've got ideas about a conceptualization of Nezeris I'd like to pitch. 

3. A central idea of this character concept is that he's a hedge wizard (a conman/minor wizard steeped in the tradition of self-taught wizards) even though mechanically he is an Arcane Trickster. So one of my goals is to make him appear as a (minor) wizard more than a rogue. Hence he wears no armor and fights with a dagger and... you get the idea. That said, (mechanically speaking) it would be a bad idea to give him ranged combat cantrips because his potential for ranged sneak attack will always be much more effective. And yet, I'd like there to be something magical about his ranged fighting. You've indicated that the sources for character creation are limited to official sources, which is fine by me. I've finished the mechanics for the character at this point, and if he relies heavily on his sling and darts for ranged combat, I can live with that. However, I'm wondering if you would occasionally make exceptions to your "official sources only" policy. Specifically, I'm wondering if there might exist a cantrip that would operate as do Booming Blade, Green Flame Blade, and other cantrips that require you to make a weapon attack as part of the cantrip--but rather than provide additional damage or rider effects to a melee attack, this cantrip would apply to a ranged attack with a light thrown weapon, and its only effect would be to cause the weapon to return to the caster's hand after the attack. This would look cool and feel magical--in a "minor magical" way. And it would allow my PC to walk around with only one weapon on his person, which he would use for melee or ranged attacks, giving him the flavor of relying less upon an arsenal of weapons and more upon magic to support his fighting.  And given that he's got sneak attack potential, it would be pretty cool that he's throwing a dagger which is doing much more damage than it should (due to sneak attack) and then returning to his hand due to his spell casting. No worries if this is a "hard no." Frankly, I'm not even sure I'd be willing to give up one of my current cantrips to get this proposed cantrip. I just wanted to know if something like this would be an option. 

4. A central idea of this character concept is that the character is young--at the border between adolescence and adulthood. In 3.5, that age would have been 16, but 5e didn't keep those granular rules, instead saying simply that "Humans reach adulthood in their late teens." Using that standard, sixteen would be the midpoint between early and late adolescence. Does 16 fit your setting? I've been assuming that my PC has been traveling and having adventures in his childhood and early(er) adolescence that got him to this minimum "adult" age (for a human) with enough XP to already be 3rd level. I'm also assuming a typical Western-European feudal setting where a sixteen year old would be capable of setting off on his own to make a life for himself. Does this sound right for this setting?  Do you have any concerns about me playing a minor (by modern standards)?  

5. I thought I saw a spot on your pages where you providing naming conventions for the setting, but maybe I was looking at a different game. Do you have information somewhere about naming conventions we might use in naming our characters?  If so, can you point me in the right direction?

6. I made a custom Background that will serve as a significant part of this character concept. If it's a thumbs down from you, I'll need to rework a few aspects of the concept. So I'm wondering if this is the kind of thing you would be willing to look over and provide feedback/approval/disapproval before the submission deadline. 

7. I've got starting gear from my class that I won't be needing/using. Do you allow players to sell gear they don't want at half price in order to buy stuff they do want?  I can afford to take the loss. But if I can start with more money, that's good. Related to this question, what are the limits of what we can purchase with our starting 200 sp?  Can we, for example, purchase healing potions? Better yet, can we use the money to have previously crafted minor magic items or healing potions (as per the revised "Downtime" rules in Xanathar's Guide to Everything)? I ask because this is part of what pre-campaign-start Augur does with his money, he uses it to craft minor magic items which he sells in his role as a hedge wizard. 

8. Are you OK with refluffing of spells. For example, could I refluff Silvery Barbs as a divination effect related to Augur's ability to hear whispers of warning, doing or saying things that swing combats in his favor. Similarly, could I refluff Mage Armor as more of the same: the whispers helping Augur, anticipate his opponent's moves, dodging or avoiding attacks through trickery and/or seemingly preternatural reflexes? 

9. Totally random, but... I saw that there are airships in this setting. Way cool! How common are they? How affordable is travel by air as opposed to travel by sea?  

That's plenty of questions for now. Thanks for your willingness to answer questions!

Okay, this will hopefully not be too lengthy but let us go!

1. Good Ol Piety: I plan to handle Piety in a way that gives the players agency in this case. As you've described PbP is really slow in the way it progresses systems of leveling, I use Milestone leveling myself but Piety I want to leave it in the hands of the players. The way I want to do this is based on the way the players interact with the world and the decisions the players make will determine how quickly they do or do not increase and/or decrease your Piety (Hopefully the first one :P) I've toyed around with everyone starting at 3 Piety with oracles and such that start at 3 already starting at 4 Piety instead as this, much like Theros, is a god heavy setting and I want that to be one of the main themes.

2. WorldBuilding And You!: A lot of the gods I have purposefully left open for your characters to interpret. Not everyone worships, let's say, Nezeris the same way. Some worship him by maintaining the roads and his roadside statues, Others worship him by being couriers and moving between towns relaying important messages. Every god has many facets so I'm open to pitches and worldbuilding and I always have an open ear for ideas.

3. Cantrips Are Your Friends: I think for this I would move away from it being a cantrip and instead a magical item like a ring that functions in the same way and that can be paired with up to (3?) items that when thrown it comes back to your hand.

4. How Old Are You?!: I'm not usually a huge fan of younger PC's but with the settings I am emulating an "Adult" could be someone as young as 16, as long as everyone else in the party is okay with it I would be fine with it I don't dwell into the darker topics of RP other than character death and such. I would prefer a bit older say 18. But it won't disqualify you unless your character is very young in which case I would ask them to be older. I'm going for a melting pot of real-world settings to pool from and not one overarching one.

5. Naming Conventions: Indeed! I think it's in the OOC page or maybe one of the apps but I've used Ancient Greek, Roman, Egyptian, Medieval, and 5E naming conventions when it came to character names. I just change or remove a letter here or there until I'm happy with it.

6. Backgrounds They're Important: Custom backgrounds are more than fine I see no issues.

7. Take My Money!: I've been meaning to address this but have just been very busy so this is a good time and ill have to update it somewhere in case anyone misses it. Selling equipment is fine, buying health potions is fine, and crafting common magical items per the requirements of XGTE is fine. Magic items will be another big theme in this campaign so expect the enemies to have them as well.

8. Rule Of Cool: Yes, Yes, Yes. Go crazy. Want mage armor to look like a giant transparent hand that blocks the incoming attack? Rad. Want Eldritch blast to look like a bolt of black lightning? Do it. So in short yes feel free to re-fluff how your spells look along as they work the same.

9. You Saw It!: Two words. Very Rare. Only Grehesia has airships and they are just becoming widely used in Grehesia at the moment. This will expand during the campaign to more countries and become more usable as time passes in the world.

I hope these answers were helpful and they definitely made me think a bit so I appreciate that! 

Edited by TheWordWeaver (see edit history)

10 minutes ago, Wizard of the Coat said:

Awesome answers!  Thanks!

As for #3: Would such a ring be common or uncommon. If it's uncommon, would there be further limits we could place on the item to make it common?  

New Long-Term Goal: buy/steal/win an airship!

Ofcourse 😄

For further limits, We could limit it to just one item that it can bond to instead of 3 or give it a set amount of charges?

And flying fortress? Hell yeah!

I think I'm going to wait for later in the game to craft the dagger as an Uncommon item. 

Also, I made a name change to Augur, using your method, giving him an easter-egg roman surname with a letter missing. 😜

Also, regarding Augur's age, I'd like to leave his age "open" for the time being. If I somehow make it into the game (even though you have a zillion amazing applicants), we can take a quick tally to see if any of the other players have strong feelings about Augur's age. If their are concerns, or if the particular selection of PCs warrants a change, or if you (or I) gain additional perspective that points to the need for a change, I'll make Augur 18 years old. 

On to a new topic: Magic Item construction. This is long, but here goes. Here's a bunch of notes awaiting your comment. 

According to XGE, Potions of Healing are exceptions to the rules of "Crafting Magic Items." You just need to be proficient with the Herbalism Kit and have materials equal to half the cost of the potion.

Augur will almost certainly have a healing potion (or two) of his own making. 

According to XGE, to craft a magic item, you need to first learn the magical formula for constructing it. No guidelines are provided as to how a would-be crafter might acquire such a formula. I'm assuming Augur learned several such formula's from the Master because (according to XGE) two crafters can work on the same crafting project, halving the time of construction. Below is an explanation of the Master's philosophy on items worth crafting, as well as a list of specific items Augur learned how to make. 

According to XGE, the formula or recipe for crafting an item always involves an exotic ingredient that can only be obtained by facing a creature of a particular CR Range in the course of an adventure. XGE notes that "facing a creature does not necessarily mean that the characters must collect items from its corpse. Rather, the creature might guard a location or a resource that the characters need access to." The creature CR Range that must be faced to obtain the exotic material for a Common magic item is CR 1-3.    

The Master's Philosophy on Item Construction: The Master had one important rule when it came to crafting magic items: he did not create items that would put others out of work, i.e. clothes of mending or a Cloak of Many Fashions mean less repair work for tailors, Heward's Handy Spice Pouch could put the local spice merchant out of business...

Items Augur Learned to Craft in the Pursuit of his Trade as a Hedge Wizard's Apprentice: The Master knew how to create many common magic items. The following is a list of those magic item formulas Augur learned, helping the Master to obtain their respective exotic ingredients, and then crafting the items. 

• Chest of Preserving (XGE): a magic fridge!; to the right buyer (a tavern owner, innkeep, butcher, baker...) this is a must have item. 
  • Ear Horn of Hearing (XGE): a popular item with the hard-of-hearing gaffers of the village
  • Ersatz Eye (XGT): basically, an artificial eye. Not a common request, but those who need one are willing to pay the full price.
  • Perfume of Bewitching: not quite a love potion, but nevertheless a popular request. 
  • Prosthetic Limb (TCE): Again, not a common request, but those who need one are willing to pay full price without haggling.

Magic Items Augur Learned How to Craft in the Course of His Adventures. Naturally, Augur would have wanted to craft items for his personal use (as an adventurer/traveler). The requirement to first learn or obtain the formula for construction of items, and then obtain the necessary exotic ingredient would be best handled within game play. But we're starting at 3rd level, so I'd like for Augur to already know the formula for crafting at least a few items he'd have made for himself. I'd like to propose that Augur learned the formula, obtained the exotic ingredient (most likely via stealth and trickery), and successfully crafted one magic item for each level-up: so in the course of adventure from Level 1 to Level 2, he learned and crafted one item, and in the course of adventure from Level 2 to Level 3, he crafted a second item. The items are as follows. 

1. Ruby of the War Mage (XGE p138), Wondrous item, common (requires attunement by a spellcaster) 

Etched with eldritch runes, this 1-inch-diameter ruby allows you to use a simple or martial weapon as a spellcasting focus for your spells. For this property to work, you must attach the ruby to the weapon by pressing the ruby against it for at least 10 minutes. Thereafter, the ruby can't be removed unless you detach it as an action or the weapon is destroyed. Not even an antimagic field causes it to fall off. The ruby does fall off the weapon if your attunement to the ruby ends.

2. Masque Charm (SCC p127), Wondrous item, common 

A masque charm is a small silver pin. While wearing this charm, you can use an action to cast the disguise self spell (DC 13 to discern the disguise). Once the spell is cast, it can't be cast from the charm again until the next sunset. When casting the spell, you can have the spell last for its normal 1 hour duration or for 6 hours. If you choose the 6-hour duration, the charm becomes nonmagical when the spell ends. In either case, the spell ends if the charm is removed from you.

The cost of constructing these two items will come from Augur's starting 200 sp.

So, my questions are:

1. Are you OK with the idea that Augur learned the formulas for several common magic items in the course of his apprenticeship as a Hedge Wizard? And if so, Are you OK with the five magic items I listed (items he knows how to make, but has not made any of them for himself at game start)?

2. Are you OK with the "one formula and exotic ingredient per level-up" convention I proposed for determining how many personal magic items Augur could research, obtain ingredients for, and craft prior to the start of the game? If so, are you OK with the two items I listed? 

7 hours ago, Wizard of the Coat said:

I think I'm going to wait for later in the game to craft the dagger as an Uncommon item. 

Also, I made a name change to Augur, using your method, giving him an easter-egg roman surname with a letter missing. 😜

Also, regarding Augur's age, I'd like to leave his age "open" for the time being. If I somehow make it into the game (even though you have a zillion amazing applicants), we can take a quick tally to see if any of the other players have strong feelings about Augur's age. If their are concerns, or if the particular selection of PCs warrants a change, or if you (or I) gain additional perspective that points to the need for a change, I'll make Augur 18 years old. 

On to a new topic: Magic Item construction. This is long, but here goes. Here's a bunch of notes awaiting your comment. 

Augur will almost certainly have a healing potion (or two) of his own making. 

• Chest of Preserving (XGE): a magic fridge!; to the right buyer (a tavern owner, innkeep, butcher, baker...) this is a must have item. 

Magic Items Augur Learned How to Craft in the Course of His Adventures. Naturally, Augur would have wanted to craft items for his personal use (as an adventurer/traveler). The requirement to first learn or obtain the formula for construction of items, and then obtain the necessary exotic ingredient would be best handled within game play. But we're starting at 3rd level, so I'd like for Augur to already know the formula for crafting at least a few items he'd have made for himself. I'd like to propose that Augur learned the formula, obtained the exotic ingredient (most likely via stealth and trickery), and successfully crafted one magic item for each level-up: so in the course of adventure from Level 1 to Level 2, he learned and crafted one item, and in the course of adventure from Level 2 to Level 3, he crafted a second item. The items are as follows. 

1. Ruby of the War Mage (XGE p138), Wondrous item, common (requires attunement by a spellcaster) 

2. Masque Charm (SCC p127), Wondrous item, common 

The cost of constructing these two items will come from Augur's starting 200 sp.

So, my questions are:

1. Are you OK with the idea that Augur learned the formulas for several common magic items in the course of his apprenticeship as a Hedge Wizard? And if so, Are you OK with the five magic items I listed (items he knows how to make, but has not made any of them for himself at game start)?

2. Are you OK with the "one formula and exotic ingredient per level-up" convention I proposed for determining how many personal magic items Augur could research, obtain ingredients for, and craft prior to the start of the game? If so, are you OK with the two items I listed? 

1. Per your background It makes sense to me and most of the items are non-game breaking so this is fine.

2. These are both fine for your two starting magical items, Health potions can be crafted in-game and could potentially save the party on silver if Augur makes it in. So thumbs up here!

@TheWordWeaver

Look at this: a relatively short post from Wizard! 

First, thanks again for the speedy and helpful feedback!

Updates (in case it matters for some reason): 

• Changed character age from 16 to 17. Seventeen meets the PHB criteria of "late teens" and may make it easier for other players to OK. 
  • Added a section in the Backstory about The Master's Disappearance.
  • Added a brief section in the Backstory about The Recurring Dream (described in the game ad)
  • Tweaked the Hedge Wizard Background. 
    • Tweaked description to reflect the idea that some of what Hedge Wizards do is legitimate magic item construction. 
    • Skills changed from "Deception and Insight" to "Any two choosen from: Arcana, Deception, Insight"
    • Eliminated Forger's Kit from Tool Proficiencies
    • Added a Language: "Any one chosen from: Halaea Common, Grehesian Common, Urzoa Common, Malek Common."
  • Made changes based on the idea that Augur will start with Piety 4. If that doesn't end up happening, or is definitely not happening, I'll remove it. 

Questions

1. The Character Template has equipment broken into "Equipment Readied" and "Equipment Stored." I'm not up on the rules of 5e (that's why I wrote the details of item construction in detail--it wasn't for you, it was for me so that I've got it for future reference) so I could be wrong, but my understanding of the free "interaction with objects" action does not make such a distinction. Reflect this template detail an "interact with objects" House Rule you will be using? Or is it perhaps a copy and paste error from some other campaign where such a house rule exists. 

2. Airships AND Magical Ley Lines?! Another cool detail I love in campaign settings!!! Will ley lines be a "reserved for elves" option or can humans get in on the act. Are the ley lines flavored as "divine stuff related to elves" or is it more like "world/nature magic?" Will you be offering any campaign specific feats, spells, or other character features that interact with ley lines? 

21 minutes ago, Wizard of the Coat said:

@TheWordWeaver

Look at this: a relatively short post from Wizard! 

First, thanks again for the speedy and helpful feedback!

Updates (in case it matters for some reason): 

• Changed character age from 16 to 17. Seventeen meets the PHB criteria of "late teens" and may make it easier for other players to OK. 
  • Added a section in the Backstory about The Master's Disappearance.
  • Added a brief section in the Backstory about The Recurring Dream (described in the game ad)
  • Tweaked the Hedge Wizard Background. 
    • Tweaked description to reflect the idea that some of what Hedge Wizards do is legitimate magic item construction. 
    • Skills changed from "Deception and Insight" to "Any two choosen from: Arcana, Deception, Insight"
    • Eliminated Forger's Kit from Tool Proficiencies
    • Added a Language: "Any one chosen from: Halaea Common, Grehesian Common, Urzoa Common, Malek Common."
  • Made changes based on the idea that Augur will start with Piety 4. If that doesn't end up happening, or is definitely not happening, I'll remove it. 

Questions

1. The Character Template has equipment broken into "Equipment Readied" and "Equipment Stored." I'm not up on the rules of 5e (that's why I wrote the details of item construction in detail--it wasn't for you, it was for me so that I've got it for future reference) so I could be wrong, but my understanding of the free "interaction with objects" action does not make such a distinction. Reflect this template detail an "interact with objects" House Rule you will be using? Or is it perhaps a copy and paste error from some other campaign where such a house rule exists. 

2. Airships AND Magical Ley Lines?! Another cool detail I love in campaign settings!!! Will ley lines be a "reserved for elves" option or can humans get in on the act. Are the ley lines flavored as "divine stuff related to elves" or is it more like "world/nature magic?" Will you be offering any campaign specific feats, spells, or other character features that interact with ley lines? 

Of course! I try my best to answer as quickly as I can, I know how it feels to be waiting for answers for days at a time so I try to be spry. Also thank you for the updates I think I will be sticking with the starter 3 piety for all and 4 piety for oracles and such that start at 3 already. Now onto the Questions!

1. Most likely a copy-paste error, we will be using the 1 free interaction action per turn per RAW, anything beyond that will require an action unless otherwise specified by a feat or ability.

2. Very perceptive! Ley lines are open to any magically gifted person not just elves. The Leylines are a result of the world's creation and not due to the creation of the Elves, they just happen to be sat upon a major leyline. And actually yes! I was planning to introduce them later but I will be using everything in the Deep Magic: Ley Lines book by kobold press besides the Geomancy tradition.

Comments

1. I read elsewhere your comment that Nezeris is associated with Luck. Perfect! Will incorporate that into the character concept. 

2. I think I'm mostly done. As in: I'm done with the mechanics and have a good enough handle on the characterization that I could start playing tomorrow if that were the start date. That said, I'll likely keep tinkering and adding to the application.  

Updates

• Added more bullets to personality. 
  • Finalized equipment list--including a few creations that will need approval (messenger bag, knife). 
  • Added "Life on the Road" section to backstory. 
  • Added "Chores, Lessons, and Drills" subsection to backstory. 
  • Added "The Places I've Been and the Things I've Seen" subsection to backstory. 
  • Added "Ley Lines" subsection to backstory. 
  • Added the Master's name in Private Tags in the Backstory.
  • Added one sentence to end of "The Recurring Dream" indicating Augur's interest in consulting the Oracle of Thespoe about his dream if Baromenes is a bust. 
  • Added additional detail to "Missing Mentor" indicating that the Massacre at the Crossroads" took place in Halaea near Skiero. 
  • Added additional detail to "Life on the Road" indicating that, while Augur considers the road his home, he typically identifies himself as from Halaea not far from Skiero when questioned by authorities and others who would be suspicious of someone with ties to no particular land. 

Questions

Are you OK with the messenger bag and the knife? The messenger bag is one more connection to Nezeris. The knife is... the basic tool that all campers need for all kinds of reasons that are not fitting for a ruby bejeweled dagger.