Mags Kategaris - Itinerant Hedge Wizard - Oracle of Nezeris

Wizard of the Coat

1 hour ago, Wizard of the Coat said:

Comments

1. I read elsewhere your comment that Nezeris is associated with Luck. Perfect! Will incorporate that into the character concept. 

2. I think I'm mostly done. As in: I'm done with the mechanics and have a good enough handle on the characterization that I could start playing tomorrow if that were the start date. That said, I'll likely keep tinkering and adding to the application.  

Updates

• Added more bullets to personality. 
  • Finalized equipment list--including a few creations that will need approval (messenger bag, knife). 
  • Added "Life on the Road" section to backstory. 
  • Added "Chores, Lessons, and Drills" subsection to backstory. 
  • Added "The Places I've Been and the Things I've Seen" subsection to backstory. 
  • Added "Ley Lines" subsection to backstory. 
  • Added the Master's name in Private Tags in the Backstory.
  • Added one sentence to end of "The Recurring Dream" indicating Augur's interest in consulting the Oracle of Thespoe about his dream if Baromenes is a bust. 
  • Added additional detail to "Missing Mentor" indicating that the Massacre at the Crossroads" took place in Halaea near Skiero. 
  • Added additional detail to "Life on the Road" indicating that, while Augur considers the road his home, he typically identifies himself as from Halaea not far from Skiero when questioned by authorities and others who would be suspicious of someone with ties to no particular land. 

Questions

Are you OK with the messenger bag and the knife? The messenger bag is one more connection to Nezeris. The knife is... the basic tool that all campers need for all kinds of reasons that are not fitting for a ruby bejeweled dagger. 

Hey Hey! 

• The Messenger bag and Knife are fine, Mechanics look good and I will read the backstory tonight when I get some time to soak it all in.
  • I will mark this as completed and if you haven't seen it I posted a question based on the starter magic items so if you haven't feel free to give yourself your silver back and choose different ones if you decide you want something else. 

Oh, wow! I missed the announcement about "free" magic items.  With that in mind, I'll likely switch one of my common items for an uncommon item. 

If I do, would it still be OK if Augur crafted one of these "free" item (the Common one)?  For purely RP purposes. I get that it won't save him any money. I just like the idea that he's been crafting stuff for himself. I think I'd like the other item (the Uncommon one) to be something the Master left for him when he disappeared. A parting gift, something to remember him buy. 

There are three uncommon items on my short list (i.e. I would choose one of them as Augur's uncommon starting magic item): Goggles of Night, Gloves of Thievery, Hat of Disguise. Let me know if any or all of these are a no-go. That would greatly simplify my decision. 😁

31 minutes ago, Wizard of the Coat said:

Oh, wow! I missed the announcement about "free" magic items.  With that in mind, I'll likely switch one of my common items for an uncommon item. 

If I do, would it still be OK if Augur crafted one of these "free" item (the Common one)?  For purely RP purposes. I get that it won't save him any money. I just like the idea that he's been crafting stuff for himself. I think I'd like the other item (the Uncommon one) to be something the Master left for him when he disappeared. A parting gift, something to remember him buy. 

There are three uncommon items on my short list (i.e. I would choose one of them as Augur's uncommon starting magic item): Goggles of Night, Gloves of Thievery, Hat of Disguise. Let me know if any or all of these are a no-go. That would greatly simplify my decision. 😁

Augur crafting it for backstory and rp purposes is more than fine and is kinda what I expected 😛

Approved aside from the Hat of Disguise. Goggles of Night and the Gloves of Thievery are good to choose from!

Edited by TheWordWeaver (see edit history)

26 minutes ago, Wizard of the Coat said:

Update

• Added the "Lots of Training, Little Action" subsection to the Backstory.

Sorry, I know the backstory is way too long. I just found the setting rich with the right kinds of details to spark my RPG muse. 

No worries at all I love reading what players come up with, how they perceive the setting, what really sticks with them, and how their character fits in the world. It was a great read and very informative so thank you for that!

I think I'd like to explain the "meta" of this character concept, in the hope that it might provide a helpful context for evaluation.

It goes without saying that I wanted to create a well-conceived character that would be fun to RP (fun for me as well as the others at the table), unique, and multidimensional. I'd like to think that's true of all my character generation efforts. With Augur in particular, I wanted to focus on the potential for character development. PbP moves slowly, limiting the potential to role play within-game (as opposed to "within backstory") character development. So I wanted to create a character who is still facing the steeper portion of the personal development learning curve. Despite being 3rd level, Augur has not yet realized his potential as a hero: he has lived most of his life as a sidekick. He does not see himself as an "adventurer" in the heroic sense. He could use a little more confidence, a clearer identity, and achievement of a role that would more adequately take into account his strengths (i.e. not only does he not see himself as an adventure, but he also doesn't see himself as a rogue arcane trickster--which, of course, is what he actually is). 

My planned progression for this character is: lots of relatively rapid character development. Assuming disasters don't happen, Augur should grow in confidence, identity, and self worth. He will hopefully create new and close friendships with the other PCs, from which he will grow in unpredictable (by me) ways.  He will develop into his role as an adventurer, a team member, and an arcane trickster rogue (I can imagine a future Augur who wears armor and fights with a rapier...). And in that process, he will hopefully shift from something of a sidekick to a hero. 

A secondary focus for this character concept was the very idea of creating a sidekick: a character who initially has not-so-heroic reactions to the events that unfold in the beginning phase(s) of the game. A foil to highlight the heroic values, attitudes, thinking, and actions of the other PCs at the start of the game. [And then of course, watch as that sidekick develops into as much a hero as his companions.]

Hopefully, all this meta helps you to make more sense of the character I have pitched. 

9 hours ago, Wizard of the Coat said:

I think I'd like to explain the "meta" of this character concept, in the hope that it might provide a helpful context for evaluation.

It goes without saying that I wanted to create a well-conceived character that would be fun to RP (fun for me as well as the others at the table), unique, and multidimensional. I'd like to think that's true of all my character generation efforts. With Augur in particular, I wanted to focus on the potential for character development. PbP moves slowly, limiting the potential to role play within-game (as opposed to "within backstory") character development. So I wanted to create a character who is still facing the steeper portion of the personal development learning curve. Despite being 3rd level, Augur has not yet realized his potential as a hero: he has lived most of his life as a sidekick. He does not see himself as an "adventurer" in the heroic sense. He could use a little more confidence, a clearer identity, and achievement of a role that would more adequately take into account his strengths (i.e. not only does he not see himself as an adventure, but he also doesn't see himself as a rogue arcane trickster--which, of course, is what he actually is). 

My planned progression for this character is: lots of relatively rapid character development. Assuming disasters don't happen, Augur should grow in confidence, identity, and self worth. He will hopefully create new and close friendships with the other PCs, from which he will grow in unpredictable (by me) ways.  He will develop into his role as an adventurer, a team member, and an arcane trickster rogue (I can imagine a future Augur who wears armor and fights with a rapier...). And in that process, he will hopefully shift from something of a sidekick to a hero. 

A secondary focus for this character concept was the very idea of creating a sidekick: a character who initially has not-so-heroic reactions to the events that unfold in the beginning phase(s) of the game. A foil to highlight the heroic values, attitudes, thinking, and actions of the other PCs at the start of the game. [And then of course, watch as that sidekick develops into as much a hero as his companions.]

Hopefully, all this meta helps you to make more sense of the character I have pitched. 

I think my Initial overview of Augur was pretty spot on. 

To me he seemed like someone who'd stand in the background, someone who could prove useful in a supporting role. Much like you said, a sidekick. 

As with any, the potential for growth, especially with timid little Augur, is something i hoped you would want explored. This also goes for all applicants. This adventure will be a test of will, faith, and personal struggles for the PCs 

I appreciate the indepth look under the hood, when the time for selections comes y'all definitely didn't make it easy for me 😂

Oh, about that... I changed his name. Not that it matters, but he's no longer Augur. Now that I've more clearly linked him to Halaea and Skiero, I decided to give him a Greek-ish name. So I followed your suggestion, kinda. Google translate --> Some Greek Words --> removed a letter from each = Mags Kategaris. 

Also, the image of I'm using from Game of Thrones (Jojen Reed), I found out how old the actor (Thomas Brodie-Sangster) was when he played that role and it rocked my world. He was 23-24 during filming! It made me reconsider: I decided I don't need to focus so much on the idea of a young PC: he can be 18 or 19, look younger than his age, and have a side-kick mentality--and that will work for what I have planned. 

Journey to Baromenes - Part 1

On the road somewhere between Bridgeford and Coalton, heading south...

Mags climbed up onto the the old wagon's buckboard bench. Throughout the climb, his black cat, Clair, managed to retain her perch atop his shoulder. Once he settled in his seat, she leaped down into his lap. The bench was cold and hard. Mags pulled the magically warmed cloak snugly around himself. Clair began a lazy purr--a precursor to nap time. 

With a cluck from the carter and a subsequent jolt, the wagon resumed it's course south, ambling lazily against the blustery gray day. 

"Kategaris. That's a Halaean name is it." It wasn't a question. The carter was a surprisingly wide dwarf, taking up most of the bench. Half his face hid behind a shaggy salt and pepper beard, but his eyes were kindly, marked by smiling wrinkle lines. 

Mags had been through such conversations before. He knew his lines well. "I'm from Skiero originally, or near Skiero." he replied politely.

"You speak our tongue well for a Halaean. But you're a bit young for a hedge wizard, I should think." The carter's tone was two parts teasing and one part skeptical.

The conversation took the young traveler into new territory. Mags had spent his life traveling with the Master--in the role of apprentice. Only recently had he begun traveling alone. He answered a bit defensively "I'm older than I look. I recently completed my apprenticeship. I can assure you I'm a fully qualified hedge wizard."

The dwarf cocked his head in Mags' direction. "You've got a cat following you around, I'll give you that much; but where's your pointy hat, your staff, your shiny ancient amulet of arcane power?"

Clearly the dwarf was teasing him, perhaps baiting him. Such was the life of a hedge wizard. The common folk usually received Mags and his Master with respect and appreciation. And yet, there were others who mocked and provoked. Mags took a centering breath, hearing his Master's words. Stop being an angry young man. First listen, see, then think. And then respond. 

The dwarf's eyes had smiled as he spoke: playful, not provoking. Mags relaxed. 

"They were all out of pointy hats and arcane amulets at the hedge wizard supply shop in Coalton or I'd have picked one up." The young hitchhiker flashed an awkward smile. 

The dwarf chuckled approvingly. 

Determined to end the dwarf's suspicion and teasing, Mags passed a hand over the bit of bench between himself and the wide dwarf, speaking arcane words to the wooden board upon which they sat. "Zestó chrimatokivóti."

The bench immediately... warmed. Not uncomfortably so. Just right. Mags' body, already wrapped in a magically warm cloak, barely registered the change. But the dwarf grunted in surprise before melted into the bench, warming up for the first time that day, the cold wind somehow less biting. 

"Now that's what I call magic," the carter approved. "More than fair trade for the ride."

Mags beamed at the dwarf's approval--then inwardly berated himself for caring so much. Despite the Master's absence, his need for approval had remained. Mags knew he needed to quash that part of himself: that boyish longing for approval from those who only offered it sparingly. He wished he could be more like the Master--who never seemed to care what others thought of him. 

"What else can you do?" the dwarf asked, now genuinely interested. 

Mags' bit of prestidigitation had succeeded: the dwarf's tone conveyed a new level of respect. The young traveler guessed there'd be no further disparaging of hedge wizards or teasing at his expense. 

"The usual: herbal remedies, enchanted items, and... a bit of divining." He spoke the last part with particular emphasis. 

"Divining?" The dwarf again turned to shoot his young companion a sidelong glance. 

"I have a dowsing rod, a deck of fortune cards--the usual divining offered by hedge wizards. But..." Mags met the dwarf's gaze with eyes that saw more than the appearance of things. "I am also an Oracle of Nezeris."

The dwarf looked away, the smile in his eyes retreating. No mockery, no suspicion. His eyes heavy on the road.

Their journey together continued for some time, only the creaking of the wagon and the clomping of horse hooves to mark their passage. 

"You pick up messengers from time to time?" Mags' words broke the silence between them. 

The carter kept his eyes on the road. "When I can." 

"And others: lone travelers like myself, the kind of people who should not be on the road alone?" There was something in the young hedge wizards voice. His words were not a question. He spoke as one who comprehended hidden things, his voice sounding from someplace beyond his years. 

"I do what I can. They're safer with me. My wagon bears the Imperial Tile. I get no trouble from common brigands." The dwarf's voice grew heavy with emotion. 

"And so you forge a path of safety for those in need and those who serve the Path Maker." The words were those of a true oracle, penetrating the dwarf with undeniable force. 

"I've pledged to do so." The dwarf's words were heavy with remorse rather than pride. 

"Why?" In vision and whispers Mags had seen and heard the dwarf's past, his pain. As Nezeris' Oracle, he delivered many messages. Some were easy, others difficult. He did not want to make the dwarf speak his secret shame. But the Path Maker demanded it. 

The dwarf broke into sobs. "I never meant for... I killed him. I was young, angry, drunk, prideful. I had no business being on the road. I..."  

The dwarf wept as he continued, rough tears and cries withheld for decades, his words faltering. "He was young. An oracle like you. With his dying words he... he spat no curse. He... told me what I would need to do... to... atone. His final message from Nezeris. For me. After what I had done to him he still...."

Mags stopped himself from placing an arm around the dwarf's shoulders. As an Oracle, he was prohibited from offering comfort. He could not insinuate his own desires into the delivery of his oracular message. If there was ever comfort to be had from such messages, it could only come from the words to be spoken. 

"Hayrufel Stonecarter, hear now the words of Nezeris. Forty nine years you have sought to atone--the stolen years of the life you took. Your offering is now deemed acceptable. Only one journey remains. You will see Mags Kategaris safely to the sea, with passage aboard a ship bound for Baromenes. Then you will return to Bridgeford, to the shrine of the Path Maker. There, you will make an offering of thanks for safe passage. These are the words of Nezeris." 

The dwarf shed more tears as the wagon continued down the road, but now they fell with gratitude, relief, and elevation of spirit. 

Edited by Wizard of the Coat (see edit history)

1. I've been thinking about how Mags' starting magic items might tie into his backstory...

I've been leaning toward the idea (trope) that, at the crossroads shrine massacre, Mags was found by the Master bearing some object that connects him to his mother. I was thinking it could be a tiny stone of Ullmalyte on a cord around his neck. I like Ullmalyte because it is tied to the region where Mags was found. Later, when the time came for Mags to enchant his first magic item on his own, the capstone project of his apprenticeship so to speak, he enchanted the stone to be a "Ruby of the War Mage." Would that be possible? Or does the magic item need specifically to be crafted from a ruby. Or is Ullmalyte perhaps way too expensive/rare? 

57 minutes ago, Wizard of the Coat said:

1. I've been thinking about how Mags' starting magic items might tie into his backstory...

I've been leaning toward the idea (trope) that, at the crossroads shrine massacre, Mags was found by the Master bearing some object that connects him to his mother. I was thinking it could be a tiny stone of Ullmalyte on a cord around his neck. I like Ullmalyte because it is tied to the region where Mags was found. Later, when the time came for Mags to enchant his first magic item on his own, the capstone project of his apprenticeship so to speak, he enchanted the stone to be a "Ruby of the War Mage." Would that be possible? Or does the magic item need specifically to be crafted from a ruby. Or is Ullmalyte perhaps way too expensive/rare? 

1. I just wanted to say, great job on the Journey to Baromenes post. It was a fun read!

2. Ullmalyte would be a perfect material to use for a Ruby of the War Mage and while it is rare it is more common in Halaea than say the Khazian Empire. When I created Ullmalyte I planned it to be, much like Wyrmstone, a material that is very good at storing and using arcane energy. Whereas Wrymstone, while capable of stronger outputs, is HIGHLY volatile. Ullmalyte, in contrast, is much more stable but offers lower output levels.

Glad you liked Journey to Baromenes. 🙂 
I've added an Ullmalyte Stone of the War Mage as Mags' free common magic item. That connection was too hard to pass up. 

In the description of the Arbiters, we read: 

Those who practice magic must not be a part of the Arbiters but must at least have a license through the Arbiters to do so legally.

Could you elaborate on how this licensing works?  I'm wondering if we could stipulate a category of arcane practitioners (let's call them Hedge Wizards) whose practice of magic is so minor that they operate under the radar--unlicensed by the Arbiters.  

5 hours ago, Wizard of the Coat said:

Could you elaborate on how this licensing works?  I'm wondering if we could stipulate a category of arcane practitioners (let's call them Hedge Wizards) whose practice of magic is so minor that they operate under the radar--unlicensed by the Arbiters.  

The licensing works in 2 ways and only pertains to the magic that is Arcane in nature.

1. You are either granted one by going to a prestigious magical college and graduating from said college. (Education)

2. You join a mages guild that is recognized by the Arbiters and gain a License through working for the mages guild. (Experience)

The license itself is represented by an arcane tattoo somewhere on the person's body that is easy to see such as the wrist, neck, arm, etc. This is more of a guideline than a hard rule and depends entirely on the person but it is always the same arcane tattoo somewhere on the body.

Once you have a license you must maintain it and can lose it if you commit a crime worthy of having it taken away or your magic completely (they have ways to do this). To maintain it you must pay monthly dues to have your license kept in the Registry at the Arcanum Archives which is kept as a way to validate your license.

With all this said it would make sense that there would be those that do not agree with the Arbiters and believe magic is a right, not a privilege. Or those such as "Hedge Wizards" that don't perform magic on a large enough scale to warrant wanting a license or even caring to get one and just flying under the radar.

Journey to Baromenes - Part 2

Aboard the Ivory's Daughter, just passed Simío Point northwest of Anthropoi...

The plump red-faced gnome spewed sick all over Mags' tunic and trousers.

The young hedge wizard leaped away, but too late. "By Saint Adriel's Boots, Mister Egrim! I warned you! You were to eat nothing!"

"Twas just a few quipper snacks..." the gnome replied between heaves, "wrapped in bacon..." he added, hacking, and then, in a quieter voice, "stuffed in a quail." 

Mags shook his head in disgust at both the sick and the gnome's appetite. He nearly gagged at the smell of partially digested fish, bacon and pheasant painted across his clothes, the little cabin's floor, the gnome, and the bed sheets.  Flourishing a hand over his sick-soiled clothes, he muttered the arcane words of cleaning before his gag reflex could bring up his own dinner. Where his hand passed, the sick vanished. The nauseous odor remained strong, but more bearable. 

The hedge wizard considered the gnome: overweight from too much food, red-faced with a pockmarked nose from too much drink, and altogether disagreeable in manner and disposition. He should have left the little ship's mage to lie in his own sick, but compassion got the better of him.

He waited until Mister Egrim had made an end of his spewing before returning to the gnome's cot, his hand flourishing over the floorboards, the gnome's sheets, and finally the gnomes clothes, his tongue moving in arcane cadence, cleansing the sick until there was none left. This left only bits of sick on the gnomes lips and goatee. Mags considered wiping it with a kerchief and then cleaning the kerchief, but frustration got the better of him.

The room still smelled of sick, but the driving force of it--urging Mags to flee for the rain-washed sea air above deck--had dissipated. 

Egrim groaned. "Thank ya, lad." 

"Don't thank me, Mister Egrim," Mag's replied in frustration. "The herbs won't work if you keep dumping more food and grog down your gullet. Your bowls need a break from digestion, and your liver from the grog, with nothing but the cleansing herbs. Otherwise, there's not I can do for you."

After further thought, the hedge wizard added, driving his point home, "And the doctor 's already said he'll have nothing to do with you unless...." 

The gnome's red face paled slightly at the reminder. And then he passed wind: a remarkably sonorous flatulence given his small stature. 

Again, the young hedge wizard jumped away, shaking his head in frustration.

Lacking any degree of chagrin, the gnome conceded, "As ya say, lad. I'll do the fast. On my honor as a licensed ship's mage. You'll see. Nothing but the tea for a day." 

Mags took pity on the retched gnome. His instincts told him nothing had changed, but he could not bring himself to say so. "Very well. I'll fix another tea." 

Mags opened the flap to his messenger bag to retrieve his herbs. The tea was interrupted by Mister Náftis: breathing heavy, the quarter master barged into the gnome's little cabin. "Captain wants you on deck!" 

"He's too sick," Mags replied fishing through his messenger bag, too distracted to remember his manners. "He's in no condition to work any magic."

"Not Mister Egrim. You!" Mister Náftis clarified. 

Mags' eyes shot up, narrowing on the quarter master. Some of the hands had tried to catch the boyish-looking hedge wizard in their pranks and tricks, but Mags had seen through their efforts. The quarter master was a tall, scar-faced, half-elven sailor of middle years whose eyes betrayed no such nonsense. Indeed, he seemed a man accustomed to giving orders and having them obeyed smartly. 

"Him? He's no licensed wizard!" the gnome choked out. "Just a country bumpkin with a few cheap tricks!" He struggled to sit up in his bed, quickly abandoning the effort with a groan. 

And there it was.  Mags remembered why he disliked the gnome. Licensed wizards could be so....  He closed the flap of his bag, rose to his feet, turned his back on the gnome, and addressed the quarter master. "As you say, Mister Náftis." 

Above deck, the Serene Sea remained true to her name. In the late afternoon, a light rain had washed clean the peaceful sea breeze driving Ivory's Daughter. With nightfall, the breeze had blown increasingly chill. Four bells later, a fog rolled seaward from the Halaean coastline, concealing the land beneath a moonlit blanket of ghostly velvet.

Mags stepped out onto the cold, dark deck and took his bearings: moonlit fog to port, the wine dark sea to starboard, moonlit fog to port--and hovering far beyond and above, gleaming in the moonlight, the snowcapped peaks of the Vorunó mountain range. . Mister Náftis led him to the stern of the ship, halting before the captain, who stood talking to the pilot at the helm. 

"The hedge wizard, captain," Mister Náftis interrupted. 

The green-skinned Captain Távirri was a triton of grim aspect, with shrewd eyes and a voice not unlike the sound of a ship's hull against unforgiving reefs. He turned yellow eyes upon the hedge wizard and spoke Khazian common with sounds sharp and grating."I need a ship's mage. But you, boy, are all I've got."

Mags could think of no polite response to the captain's assessment, so he remained silent. 

Távirri turned to face stern. "We're being followed, boy. By sailors who do not want to be seen. They came out of the fog on the last bell. They've been skirting the boundary between fog and open sea. Almost certainly pirates. And they're gaining on us." 

Mags looked but saw nothing. The Captain's fearful disclosure had little discernible affect on the young hedge wizard. Mags' life had been a series of dangers encountered in the course of his travels. What the Captain described felt like more of the same. 

The triton turned back to Mags. "There's a cove ahead. Ormos Yfálo the Halaeans call it. Guarded by underwater rocks sharp as reefs. Treacherous by day, impossible in a fog at night. We can reach it before they overtake us. And if we can safely pass the rocks, that'll buy us more time and more options should they come in after us. Can you cast a spell of sea sight?" 

"No, Captain. Never even heard of the spell. What's it do?" Mags asked, revealing his irrepressible upbeat curiosity. Despite the Master's unfailing efforts, it did not occur to Mags to lie or make himself out to be more than a simple hedge wizard. Where the Master would have seen an opportunity, Mags saw a desperate captain trying to save his ship and crew. 

"Our little gnome uses the spell to see below the waterline, calling out precise directions so we can avoid reefs, rocks, islets, breakers, and other underwater hazards." 

"Sounds like a very useful spell, Captain." 

The Captain confirmed Mags' statement of the obvious with forced patience. "Indeed."

The hedge wizard's curiosity got the better of him and he spoke out of turn. "Beggin' your pardon, Captain, but you being a triton--couldn't you just swim ahead of the ship and accomplish the same thing as the spell?" 

"No," the Captain explained, "too much time would pass in relaying my messages to the pilot at the stern of the ship. The business must be done with immediacy, you see."

"Ah, well, I can help with that," Mags announced as if stating a simple fact.

The triton's yellow eyes met the hedge wizards'.  "Explain."

Mags's words conveyed the genuine pleasure he took in being able to help the captain--which might have been mistaken for boasting. "I've a spell that would allow me to communicate with you while you're under the water, swimming ahead of the ship. You could give me the directions while I'm standing stern, next to the pilot, and I could pass the directions on to him." 

"You can do that?" The captain asked, unbelieving. 

Mags smiled. "Super easy, Captain. Barely an inconvenience." It was an inside joke he'd shared with the Master. Only after speaking did he realize his foolish mistake. But explaining the remark would have revealed even grater foolishness, so Mags said no more. 

The triton slapped Mags on the shoulder. "Well, well, boy! It would appear that you're not as useless as Mister Egrim claimed." 

Then he turned to the pilot. "We make for Ormos Yfálo, Mister Roda!" 

More to come...

Questions:

1. What are who is Ludician?

2. Do you have some group of people similar to gypsies in this campaign setting? (I've been thinking about Mags' mother and her people, and I'm considering some sort of group that travels--possibly from some kingdom/origin beyond the Serene Holds map.)

3. Can you tell me a little more about the Teruvians? (Wondering if the "ethnic travelers" might be from Teruvia.)

4. Can you clarify the utility of the various Common tongues?  I've loaded up on them. Will they have social or other significance in the game? Is the Urzoa Common an option that works in all the continent (like "Common" in the generic D&D 5e campaign setting), allowing unhampered communication with peoples speaking the regional Common tongues/dialects. I guess I'm wondering if we're talking about different dialects of the same language or different languages within the same family of languages (i.e. French and Italian are both "Romance Languages"). 

5. Regarding my Journey to Baromenes Part 1 and Part 2: they were a fun exercise to help me get into the character and the setting, but would/could they be considered cannon (i.e. things that actually happened on Mags' journey to Baromenes)? 

6. Eventually, Mags will fight with a weapon more substantial than a dagger. When that time comes, I'd really like Mags to fight with a weapon that does slashing damage. In 5e, rogue weapons are piercing weapons. Historically, piercing weapons were effective in the ancient world because you aim for the gut, a large target, and if you hit, you have a good chance of killing your target (even if it takes a long time to die from a gut wound). When I describe Mags in combat, I envision him as a slasher--targeting arteries, tendons.... Granted, we can handle this as fluff, and that will work. But would you be willing to consider a mechanical change?  If so, here are to possible options I can think of. 

• The roman gladius (the one that "defined" their prowess in battle) was an innovation because it allowed for both piercing and slashing. Could Mags have a short sword that does slashing (only) damage? Or if you're feeling particularly generous, could it do the wielder's choice between slashing or piercing?  
  • If that doesn't work, could I possibly switch Mags' class weapon proficiencies so that he gets proficiency with scimitars instead of short swords. Mechanically, they are the same weapon, except that one is martial/d6/slashing/finesse/light and the other is martial/d6/piercing/finesse/light. 

7. I'd like to add a "black silk mask" (covering most of the face, with holes for the eyes) to my character sheet. Something Mags might wear sometimes when speaking for the gods or when doing some crime. Any thoughts on what that might cost?