LPF: Green Fingers - IC posts

Agitha.jpg         Agitha, Rat-folk witch

Agitha, who has spent much of her life in the sewers, really enjoys the garden and soaks it all in as they pass through. On the other hand, when they reach the manor, she remembers how little old ladies tend to react to giant rats and tries to make herself as inconspicuous as possible, going so far as to sit on the floor behind one of the larger members of the party. Naturally she does not reply or otherwise speak.

Stats

Agitha Basset
F N/N Ratfolk Witch, Level 3, Init 3, HP 20/20, Speed 20
AC 19, Touch 14, Flat-footed 16, CMD 12, Fort 4, Ref 4, Will 3, CMB +1, Base Attack Bonus 1   
 Dagger 1 (1d4-1, x2)
 Ray of Enfeeblement   (1d6+1 STR, 1 rd/lvl,  )
 Mage Armor (+4 Armor, +3 Dex, +1 Size, +1 Deflect)
Abilities Str 8, Dex 16, Con 13, Int 17, Wis 10, Cha 14
Condition None
Loot 

Edited by miteke_mw (see edit history)

spacer.png

With a fair bit of grace Belyr bows to the noblewoman, holding his scimitar's hilt in one hand and presenting his holy symbol (a simple wooden scallop shell, hand-carved by the cleric) to her in the other. "Your...grace? Thank you for the hospitality. We are all honored to have been asked to help. My name is Belyr, servant of Callisto, the Fortunate. With her luck we shall be blessed and find your errant husband. Several of our company are spellcasters, including our shy companion, Miss Agitha," he gestures politely to the little ratfolk woman as she settles behind him. Taking a seat he leans towards their hostess and continues. "We have worked together before, Agitha and me. I will allow our other companions to introduce themselves, though..."

5QDDzZp.jpg?1

Ashril Swiftstride, halfling ranger

Ashril is respectfully quiet while the Lady was speaking, and when it was clear she was done, he spoke with an air of quiet professionalism. "Ashril Swiftstride at your service. Where was the last known location of your husband and what do you think might have happened to him?"

Ministats

Ashril Swiftstride
AC: 19 (Touch 13, Flatfooted 14) (Size +1, Dex +3, Armor +5, (Shield +1 (not equipped)))
HP: 37/37 Initiative: +5
Perception : +11 Sense Motive: +2
CMB: +2 CMD: 15
Fort: +7 Reflex: +8 Will: +4
*+2 vs fear
Current Weapon in Hand:
Current Conditions in Place:

Spells (CL 1)
1st level (1/day): Longstrider

Potions: Cat's Grace (2), Cure Light Wounds (2)

Bill the brave war pony (animal companion)
AC: 15 (Touch 13, Flatfooted 12) (Dex +3, Nat Armor +2)
HP: 22/22
Perception : +7
CMB: +4 CMD: 17
*+4 vs trip
Fort: +7 Reflex: +6 Will: +2
Current Weapon in Hand: Hooves (x2) (+4, 1d3+3)
Qualities: Low-light Vision, Scent, Endurance, Run
Tricks: Combat Training (Attack, Come, Defend, Down, Guard, Heel), Aid
Animal Companion Buffs: Link, Share Spell

Viscountesstoken.png.8b653684ddf017b9c5182fb571b4c112.png

Lady Isabela smiles at Belyr’s courteous introduction. She then directs your collective attention to a painting hanging in a prominent position on one of the walls. The painting is of a man, ornately dressed and confident of his place in the world.

the-laughing-cavalier-1624.jpg!Large.jpg.a51201ed5ff3c7c7d44ec654e4ff7f2d.jpg

“My husband, Francisco Collumno, the 17th Baron Segrado”, Lady Isabella says by way of explanation, “This was painted quite a few years ago, you understand, but the likeness is still reasonable. In any event, we have mostly retired from politics, society and suchlike, and live a quiet life these days. Francis’s main interest nowadays is his plants.”

She turns the wheelchair again so that she can face the bay window overlooking the garden. “He has turned into quite the avid gardener, as you might have noticed on your way in. He is always busy trying to get the most out of our flower beds, and the roses of course – one of his prize project, these roses.” She sighs. “I must confess I sometimes feel he rather overdoes it… particularly in recent years, ever since he got it into his head that he needed to start a collection of exotic plants from faraway places, from the deserts of Rhat’matanis, say, or the Coconut Coast. He raises them in greenhouses at Oak Lodge, our country estate, and shows them off to all our friends and relations once he gets them to flower. And that is where he went, more than a week ago, ‘just to check up on his beauties’. Because of this”, she gestures at the wheelchair, indicative of a longstanding medical condition, “I rarely accompany him these days, but we communicate by sending messages – which he does regularly when he is out there, as he does worry so when he is away - with one of the young lads who help in the garden; Caro, his name is. However, I have received no messages at all of late, and you must understand how very irregular that is. I do fear that something terrible has happened to him, our messenger, and who knows who else. We still employ staff out there as well, you see, especially a crew of gardeners. The road to Oak Lodge has traditionally been fine; I haven’t heard of any fires, or storms, or increase in bandit activity; and there have been no calls for ransom, so I really am at a loss. I am therefore asking if you would please accompany Parker to Oak Lodge, and see what has happened, if only to set my heart at rest. You will naturally be compensated for your time and expense.”

Butler_token.png.663b3ae6e4f694c8ab92963805a4682c.png

At this point in time, there is a rattling sound from outside the door as Parker returns, pushing a large wooden trolley upon which are laid out an array of plates with fruits, canapes, and what look to be cucumber sandwiches, as well as a steaming pot of tea. "Refreshments, Milady", he announces as a formality to everyone in the room, then busies himself with ensuring everything is appropriately arranged on a nearby side table.

Edited by Sandstar (see edit history)

With a soft gasp, Agitha emerges from her hiding place to gaze on the feast with admiration. "Have no fear, milady, we will do our best to find and rewcue your husband, though, hopefully, it is just a matter of preoccupation. Have you sent anyone over to check on him yet, or are we the first?"

Daintily, she selects an olive stuffed with cheese as her first foray into the food and nibbles it slowly and with appreciation. 

Stats

Agitha Basset
AC 19, Touch 14, Flat-footed 16, CMD 12, Fort 4, Ref 4, Will 3, CMB +1, Base Attack Bonus 1   
 Dagger 1 (1d4-1, x2)
Condition None
Loot 

5QDDzZp.jpg?1

"You say he collects exotic plants. Did he happen to speak about getting new ones recently? I have heard of several plants types that get out of hand quite quickly." Ashril lightly munches on a few snacks as the others react and ask questions.

Ministats

Ashril Swiftstride
AC: 19 (Touch 13, Flatfooted 14) (Size +1, Dex +3, Armor +5, (Shield +1 (not equipped)))
*+2 vs fear
Current Weapon in Hand:

Spells (CL 1)

*+4 vs trip

spacer.png

With a loud rumble Belyr's stomach voices its approval of the refreshments, eliciting an embarrassed, "Excuse me!" from the half-elf cleric. With a nod to Parker he selects several of the heartier options with a smile. Then he sits down again to eat and think for a moment. 

"I'm not familiar with dangerous plants, but a couple of us have had to deal with bandits - orcs - before," he says. "Hopefully it won't be as exciting as that, but either way we will see to your husband's welfare, M'Lady. When would you like us to leave? I assume shortly after finishing this," he holds up a cucumber sandwich appreciatively.

spacer.png

Raphael Statblock

[URL=http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2518855][B][SIZE=+1]Raphael Freese[/SIZE][/B][/URL]
Male CG Human Oracle, [B]Level[/B] 3, [B]Init[/B] 6, [B]HP[/B] 23/23, [B]Speed[/B] 20
[B]AC[/B] 17, [B]Touch[/B] 14, [B]Flat-footed[/B] 13, [B]CMD[/b] 16, [B]Fort[/B] 2, [B]Ref[/B] 5, [B]Will[/B] 4, [B]CMB[/B] +2, [B]Base Attack Bonus[/B] 2   
[B]  Quarterstaff [/B] +1 (1d6, x2)
[B]  Dagger [/B] +1 (1d4, x2)
[B]  Studded Leather[/B] (+3 Armor, +4 Dex)
[B]Abilities[/B] Str 10, Dex 10, Con 13, Int 14, Wis 12, Cha 18
[B]Condition[/B] None
Revelation: Brain Drain - 1x/Day, Will Save Single Target, 3d4 Damage and then can Full Round to pull info from target mind via Knowledge Skill Check for CHA rounds+1
Revelation: Focused Trance - CHA/Day, 1d6 rounds time for +20 to knowledge check
Revelation: Sidestep Secret - CHA replaces DEX for AC

"Aside from strange plants, there's also the possibility of strange people." Raphael added thoughtfully, glancing towards the ceiling. "If we're investigating a disappearance the first thing we need to do is determine what variations in his routine might have occurred. We'll do an on-site lookaround, but anything you can tell us, even the smallest strange detail, would be of use."

Viscountesstoken.png.8b653684ddf017b9c5182fb571b4c112.png

As the light refreshments come under sustained attack from various angles, Lady Isabela considers the various questions put to her. “I must confess I have not noticed any changes to his routine. What about you, Parker? He was his same, cheerful, scatterbrained self when he left for Oak Lodge. To the best of my knowledge, he had no plans other than to spend time with his collection, do some pruning or mulching or whatever it was that needed doing.She sighs again. "As you might have noticed, I am not an avid gardener - while I do appreciate the end product, there is only so much time and money one can spend chasing the rarest specimens - I do believe Francis was beginning to develop quite the mania about growing rare plants. And he was encouraged by some of his friends, who are all just as bad as each other - spending huge sums on greenhouses, and sending people on expeditions to find new plants to impress one's social circle with - it all seems slightly silly, from where I sit, in any event." As she speaks, there is a distinct unspoken impression that she feels her husband spends far too much time and money on his new hobby. "I am not sure about recent deliveries, though I am aware that he'd received a shipment from the Coconut Coast a few months' back that he has been very excited about - I have no idea what was in it, though." 

"Where was I? Ah yes - no, as it happens, you are not the first to check on him - Normally, we'd send someone from Capoe down with a message, and I expected him to do so once he'd arrived - Oak Lodge is not far. When that did not happen, I asked Caro to head down to see if all was well. That was four days ago. You see, I am beginning to fear the worst! Yes, please, I would appreciate it greatly if you would head out as quickly as possible. Parker will guide you so you do not get lost. Parker, please go and fetch the money we put aside for our band of rescuers?"

Butler_token.png.663b3ae6e4f694c8ab92963805a4682c.png

Parker quietly clears his throat when addressed, and politely adds: "Just so, Milady, there was nothing unusual about the Master's demeanor and routine when he set off. The one noteworthy element, if one can call it that, was that he was expected to meet an acquaintance, a Mr Willoughby, at Oak Lodge. I do believe Mr Willoughby is a fellow vegetative enthusiast in the manner which Milady describes. He has attended soirees here from time to time, but is not, I would venture to suggest, a close friend of the family." 

He then acknowledges Lady Isabela's request and leaves the room again, only to return after several minutes with a small, but heavy-looking chest. He opens it up to reveal a sizeable pile of coinage and gems.

"Is this a task you are willing to perform for me? We can provide you with a small sum in case you need to buy some supplies before you go. But you must hurry, for everyone's sake!"

Contents of the boxThe box contains enough to equate to 300GP for each player.

Agitha is still getting used to the exorbitant prices her services cost, but tries not to show it. "That looks adequate to me," she says with understatement.

Stats

Agitha Basset
 Dagger 1 (1d4-1, x2)
Condition None
Loot 

spacer.png

Raphael Statblock

[URL=http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2518855][B][SIZE=+1]Raphael Freese[/SIZE][/B][/URL]
Male CG Human Oracle, [B]Level[/B] 3, [B]Init[/B] 6, [B]HP[/B] 23/23, [B]Speed[/B] 20
[B]AC[/B] 17, [B]Touch[/B] 14, [B]Flat-footed[/B] 13, [B]CMD[/b] 16, [B]Fort[/B] 2, [B]Ref[/B] 5, [B]Will[/B] 4, [B]CMB[/B] +2, [B]Base Attack Bonus[/B] 2   
[B]  Quarterstaff [/B] +1 (1d6, x2)
[B]  Dagger [/B] +1 (1d4, x2)
[B]  Studded Leather[/B] (+3 Armor, +4 Dex)
[B]Abilities[/B] Str 10, Dex 10, Con 13, Int 14, Wis 12, Cha 18
[B]Condition[/B] None
Revelation: Brain Drain - 1x/Day, Will Save Single Target, 3d4 Damage and then can Full Round to pull info from target mind via Knowledge Skill Check for CHA rounds+1
Revelation: Focused Trance - CHA/Day, 1d6 rounds time for +20 to knowledge check
Revelation: Sidestep Secret - CHA replaces DEX for AC

The young healer considered the bounty for a moment, then offered a shrug. While it wasn't a king's ransom, it wasn't an amount to sneeze at either - and chances were good that he might be able to finagle some sort of a favor as well. The heavens knew that Raph searched constantly for something he had trouble defining - perhaps these nobles would be able to provide a lead.

"Good enough to start out." He concluded, and turned for the exit.

spacer.png

Belyr doesn't look at the chest closely, content that it is plenty of petty cash for the party to be properly prepared. "M'Lady, I think we are all ready to make last minute preparations and then begin. Your generosity will certainly be sufficient to ensure our success. Thank you," he says as he rises with a bow. "Mr. Parker, on our way out of town I am sure we would be well-served to purchase some equipment to ensure our mission will end well. Can you take us to the Mystic Pearl? On the way I'd like to hear more about our destination and perhaps this 'Willoughby' - do you believe him to be an honest man, or could he have ill intent?"

Belyr readily leads the way out of the room towards the carriage and their mission. Once outside he asks the others, "What do all of you think we should purchase? I'm inclined to suggest a wand of healing magic, but am certainly willing to consider other options..."

Agitha shrugs. She has everything she needs as long as there is no camping involved. "I'm good, thank-you. I have a wand of healing all ready to go."

Stats

Agitha Basset
 Dagger 1 (1d4-1, x2)
Condition None
Loot 

5QDDzZp.jpg?1

"I have everything I need as well for now, but it is good to have some spare change just in case down the road." Ashril, seemingly quite comfortable with the process that just happened, seems ready to be out of the city and back on the road.

Ministats

Ashril Swiftstride
*+2 vs fear
Current Weapon in Hand:

Spells (CL 1)

*+4 vs trip

Viscountesstoken.png.8b653684ddf017b9c5182fb571b4c112.pngButler_token.png.663b3ae6e4f694c8ab92963805a4682c.png

Lady Isabela visibly relaxes when she realises that you will take the job. “Thank you! Thank you so much! May Cortesia protect you! And please look after yourselves - you too, Parker!" The butler acknowledges the last bit with a perfunctory "Milady.", then takes his leave.

You collectively follow Parker out of the room and through the mansion, where he picks up a small bag and a waterproof coat, to emerge at a small stable. There, the butler spends several minutes hitching two elderly horses to a carriage, before announcing they are ready to go. "By all means, Master Cooper; Milady and I had, in fact, anticipated that you and your colleagues might wish to visit the establishments on Arcane Row before embarking on this voyage."

As the carriage starts to make its way through the Venzan traffic, Parker attempts to answer Belyr's questions. "Oak Lodge sits among the hills outside Venza, a few hours' travel on horseback. Capoe is the nearest settlement; perhaps you are already familiar with the area? The house and grounds sit in a wooded valley, rather near the Tenebrous Wood, and His Lordship insists that it possesses the perfect microclimate for gardening. I am sure you will find cause to observe evidence of his enthusiasm, once we arrive. The manor house is not large, as these things are measured, but it has been in the family for a long time. There are staff, of course: Principally Mrs. Higgins, the housekeeper, with a maid, and then Iulio the head gardener, and his team."

When Willoughby is mentioned, Parker thinks for a moment, then adds: "I do not know him particularly well; he is no nobleman, but an 'up-and-coming man', if you will permit me; he has made his fortune in business affairs and now indulges his various hobbies and pursuits, including growing exotic plants and flowers. As I mentioned previously, he has visited the Master on several occasions previously. I do not believe there was bad blood between them, as such, but... it is interesting how competitive these gentlemen get, when the mood strikes them. I do believe that the Master's fellow growers were all the same in that respect: each trying to outdo the other. But I confess I do not know the reason for Mr Willoughby's intended visit to Oak Lodge, nor do I know whether he ever arrived there."

Soon after, the coach turns up to Arcane Row, and you are all able to disembark to spend some of your advance.