The Road to Taggun Hold

Blick

dekmal.jpg.a316c876303eb89840fa09378bcc219a.jpg

"Merrick, Jocelyn is already over here, he came over in search of breakfast with me. But we got a bit sidetracked by the lack of employer and all of our mounts."

He looks over towards the barkeep, "You wouldn't happen to know where the mounts we left in your establishment's care have been taken? Horse thieves aren't welcome 'round here, are they?"

Hall and Valeros

hank_3_face.jpghttps://i.imgur.com/fLaUvHH.pngCG, Ulfen Human, Thief [0 XP] | AC 5 HP 3

NG, Chelaxian Human, Fighter [0 XP] | AC 3 HP 10

Hall and Val are still unsure about what is happening here, but they assume some sort of violence took place last night and now their companions are in trouble. While they must have acted in self-defense that can mean very little in a close-knit community like this one. Still, he reserved the right to be open minded to both sides as they themselves were not witnesses to the act.

OoC: Still playing catch up with the event from last night.

Character Sheet

Hall Thorormsson
CG, Ulfen Human, Thief (+10% XP) [0 XP]

AC 5 HP 3

Abilities:
17 STR +1 hit, +1 dmg
12 INT +3 languages (--,--,--)
09 WIS
16 DEX +1 reaction/att adj, -2 defense adj
10 CON
11 CHA 4 max henchmen

Saving Throws:
13 Paralysis, Poison or Death Magic
12 Petrification or Polymorph
14 Rod, Staff or Wand
15 Breath Weapon
16 Spells

Thief Abilities:
30% Pick Pockets
30% Open Locks
20% Find / Remove Traps
15% Move silently
10% Hide in Shadows
10% Hear Noises
85% Climbs Walls
--% Read Languages

Thieves' Cant
Backstabbing +4 hit from behind (surprised) x2 dmg (level 1-4), x3 (levels 5-8), x4 (levels 9-12), x5 (levels 13-16)

Proficiencies:
Weapon [2] +1/4 levels
Dagger 1d4 sm / 1d3 l
Longsword 1d8 sm / 1d12 l 

Non-Weapon [1]
Painting

Equipment:

Starting Gold 100gp -76gp

Daggers (2) - 4gp
Longsword -15gp
Studded Leather - 15gp
Hat -7sp, Cloak -5sp, Girdle -2gp, Belt -3sp, Belt pouches (2) -30sp, Boots -1gp

Backpack -2gp, Sack -16cp
Wineskin -15sp, Rations (1wk) -3gp
Thieve's Tools -30gp, Tinder Box -1gp

Current Gold 24gp, 8sp, 4 cp

+50gp (for sharing a backstory with another player [guitarist])

Valeros
NG, Chelaxian Human, Fighter (+10% XP) [0 XP]

AC 3 HP 10

Abilities:
17 STR +1 hit, +1 dmg
13 INT +3 languages (--,--,--)
13 WIS
11 DEX
13 CON 85% sys shock, 90% res
10 CHA 4 max henchmen

Saving Throws:
14 Paralysis, Poison or Death Magic
15 Petrification or Polymorph
16 Rod, Staff or Wand
17 Breath Weapon
17 Spells

Proficiencies:
Weapon [2] +1/4 levels
Dagger 1d4 sm / 1d3 l
Bastard sword 1d8 sm / 1d12 l 
Hammer 1d4+1 sm / 1d4 l
Longbow 1d6 sm / 1d6 l 

Non-Weapon [1]
?

Equipment:

Splint Mail armor
Large shield
Bastard sword
Daggers (2)
Hammer
Longbow (12)

Backpack
Wineskin, Rations
Oil, Torches, Rope, Tinderbox,
Boots, Belt, Girdle, Cloak, Hat, Pouches

The Red Boar Inn

Before the barkeep could respond, the door opened and several guardsmen entered in a hurry - swords out! They looked around at the adventurers, the old man then the barkeep, "Muerec, what's this?"

Muerec.png.18e0d16d641ddbbf13db94f8c466bc0b.png

Muerec gazed at the party members while speaking to the guard, "It seems out late-night guests have raped, and possibly murdered, poor Almycia. They tried to threaten me into silence, but I called for you instead."

Sybrom.png.1d52d8e286bc0c3cd9e54b80ec9ee3c0.png

The old man ate his breakfast and giggled under his breath while watching the spectacle unfold!

The guardsmen looked at the old man, then at the adventurers, "Is this right?!"

spacer.pngJocelyn of the Dawn

LG Human Paladin, AC: 2, HP: 7/7

Jocelyn had remained silent until now, shocked by the turn of events. But the time had come to speak.
"I am Jocelyn, paladin of Iomedae." he said. "I have been travelling with my friend here for quite some time; if he says the girl attacked him in his sleep and tried to murder him, I believe him."

He then turned to Muerec.

"No one threatened you into silence, that is a lie. You were completely free to call for the guards."

With that, the paladin started focusing on his surroundings, trying to detect the forces of Evil present and at play.

He at first focused on the barkeep, to determine whether the man was truly evil or simply mistaken.

Edited by Leonidas1789 (see edit history)

Merrick nodded to the guardsmen as well, pointing to Gabriel, "You can inspect his wounds as evidence to match the blade that still lies with her in the room upstairs. He can repeat the words she spoke as she attacked. As for the barkeep here, he was not coerced by us. He greeted us last night claiming we were the one who brought evil here, when I asked questions about your town; perhaps questions he did not wish asked."

"It would also be prudent to find out why the caravan we arrived with last night was gone this morning without us. Did they leave willingly or unwillingly? Does this usually happen with caravans stopping here?", he added with a frown.

The Red Boar Inn

Everyone:

The guards look at Muerec again, then one points at Gabriel, "Takes us to the woman - NOW!" The group of six guards prepare to follow Gabriel, swords still out ...

Downing his drink, the old man slams the cup on the table! Then he looks at Merrick, "You there ... Mr. Impetuous: perhaps you would buy this old ex-traveler a drink? Ale, of course ..." He digs in his robes and produces a semi-wilted rose, "I have but this simple flower in trade ..." He grins at the Cleric ...

Hall and Valeros

hank_3_face.jpghttps://i.imgur.com/fLaUvHH.pngCG, Ulfen Human, Thief [0 XP] | AC 5 HP 3

NG, Chelaxian Human, Fighter [0 XP] | AC 3 HP 10

Hall and Val share looks at each other as they are not sure what is happening here, but they know something sinister is beginning to take shape. The arrival of the guards, the accusations of murder, and the "madness" of the old man in this morning's hangover is making this day star off all too strange to follow.

OoC: Still playing catch up with the event from last night.

Character Sheet

Hall Thorormsson
CG, Ulfen Human, Thief (+10% XP) [0 XP]

AC 5 HP 3

Abilities:
17 STR +1 hit, +1 dmg
12 INT +3 languages (--,--,--)
09 WIS
16 DEX +1 reaction/att adj, -2 defense adj
10 CON
11 CHA 4 max henchmen

Saving Throws:
13 Paralysis, Poison or Death Magic
12 Petrification or Polymorph
14 Rod, Staff or Wand
15 Breath Weapon
16 Spells

Thief Abilities:
30% Pick Pockets
30% Open Locks
20% Find / Remove Traps
15% Move silently
10% Hide in Shadows
10% Hear Noises
85% Climbs Walls
--% Read Languages

Thieves' Cant
Backstabbing +4 hit from behind (surprised) x2 dmg (level 1-4), x3 (levels 5-8), x4 (levels 9-12), x5 (levels 13-16)

Proficiencies:
Weapon [2] +1/4 levels
Dagger 1d4 sm / 1d3 l
Longsword 1d8 sm / 1d12 l 

Non-Weapon [1]
Painting

Equipment:

Starting Gold 100gp -76gp

Daggers (2) - 4gp
Longsword -15gp
Studded Leather - 15gp
Hat -7sp, Cloak -5sp, Girdle -2gp, Belt -3sp, Belt pouches (2) -30sp, Boots -1gp

Backpack -2gp, Sack -16cp
Wineskin -15sp, Rations (1wk) -3gp
Thieve's Tools -30gp, Tinder Box -1gp

Current Gold 24gp, 8sp, 4 cp

+50gp (for sharing a backstory with another player [guitarist])

Valeros
NG, Chelaxian Human, Fighter (+10% XP) [0 XP]

AC 3 HP 10

Abilities:
17 STR +1 hit, +1 dmg
13 INT +3 languages (--,--,--)
13 WIS
11 DEX
13 CON 85% sys shock, 90% res
10 CHA 4 max henchmen

Saving Throws:
14 Paralysis, Poison or Death Magic
15 Petrification or Polymorph
16 Rod, Staff or Wand
17 Breath Weapon
17 Spells

Proficiencies:
Weapon [2] +1/4 levels
Dagger 1d4 sm / 1d3 l
Bastard sword 1d8 sm / 1d12 l 
Hammer 1d4+1 sm / 1d4 l
Longbow 1d6 sm / 1d6 l 

Non-Weapon [1]
?

Equipment:

Splint Mail armor
Large shield
Bastard sword
Daggers (2)
Hammer
Longbow (12)

Backpack
Wineskin, Rations
Oil, Torches, Rope, Tinderbox,
Boots, Belt, Girdle, Cloak, Hat, Pouches

Edited by rauhric (see edit history)

"Sure I'll buy you a drink old man." Dek pulls the silver piece for a pint of ale out and tosses it towards the barkeep from where he stands on the balcony.

"You didn't happen to see any horse thieves taking off with our mounts, did you? Would sure help the guards hunt them down if you did."

The Red Boar Inn

Everyone:

The old man smiles wildly at Dekmal, "Ah! A true gentleman! You have my thanks, and in the eternal words of the magnificent Nalinivati: 'Selli cha na'ri Da phydri Kos lumpse Ix shu Derbah fereia mulu'rt.'" The old fellow waves his hands comically while speaking and the guards quietly mock him! Struggling to stand, the old man begins wandering from his table, still addressing Dekmal, "Unfortunately, good sir, I missed the confiscation of your mounts. You see, I was asleep." He drops the rose at the feet of the guards as he passes them - and all six guards AND the barkeep collapse to the ground unconscious!

Reaching the bar, the old man reaches behind the counter drawing out a bottle of ale and proceeds to pour himself a cupful! Watching his careful pour rather than the adventurers he says, "My my my, but you've stepped into it now haven't you? More guards are gathering from around the town so you don't have long. I was indeed asleep, but you are far from the first to stumble into their trap. They've taken your horses to prevent escape. Your caravan is no more, and now these fiends mean to sacrifice you to their dark lord. They are many and in all places but, as I spoke earlier, there is salvation at the temple of Iomedae ..."

He takes a long swig of his ale, "... IF, you are strong enough to face the depths of evil." He takes another sip and smiles while eyeing the adventurers ....

Merrick's mouth and eyes opened wide as the old man stood, ambled around and them seemed to put the suspect guards and barkeep asleep. He had heard of such magic, of course, and knew it was not all that powerful; but used correctly, it was surely effective.

"Regardless, if we stay here, and they wake, we will be behind bars before lunch.", he murmured with a sigh.

Turning to the paladin, he broached, "Perhaps you should guide us to your temple, and quickly."

"Perhaps even..." Dek considers for a moment then starts to head down the balcony towards the stairs to the main floor, interrupting his thought to put some motion.

"Perhaps even we will find a way to avoid the citizens of this foul town then, if they are indeed foul." Hearing of a night attack, and suspicions confirmed on what happened to the caravan, their horses, and their employer is putting some haste into his step, even if he grimaces from still bruised ribs on the way down the stairs.

Everyone:

The party quickly finds their way out of one of the inn's alternate exits, moving swiftly towards the nearby temple - but, as they arrive they meet two of the priests, one, named Thyrdimeses, who was previously encountered by Jocelyn and Dekmal! The duo turn and seeing the party, reach under their robes and whip out gleaming daggers! Thyrdimeses yells, "PREPARE TO MEET YOUR DOOM, OUTSIDERS!!"

Screenshot2023-04-23145419.png.d66c1e6be794405123606024df9a15a4.pngScreenshot2023-06-16105416.png.97f1c0269549dafd0e82ee37de6b97ec.png

The priests lunge forward with unexpected ferocity and slash both Jocelyn and Dekmal with their daggers!