The Out-of-Character Chat Thread

3 hours ago, Kamishiro_Rin said:

Oh! And because they're the product of demons and elves, I'll even let you take one of the following high-elven trait and add it to your re-skinned tiefling lineage features:

1. Keen Senses. You have proficiency in the Perception skill.
  2. Fey Ancestry. You have advantage on saving throws against being charmed, and magic can't put you to sleep.
  3. Languages. You can speak, read, and write Common and Elvish. Elvish is fluid, with subtle intonations and intricate grammar. Elven literature is rich and varied, and their songs and poems are famous among other races. Many bards learn their language so they can add Elvish ballads to their repertoires.
  4. Elf Weapon Training. You have proficiency with the longsword, shortsword, shortbow, and longbow.
  5. Cantrip. You know one cantrip of your choice from the wizard spell list. Intelligence is your spellcasting ability for it.
  6. Extra Language. You can speak, read, and write one extra language of your choosing.

Yes, there's an option conspicuously missing.

oh that's spicy, thank you very much kind DM.

Where are we supposed to post things like skill proficiences/expertise, AC, and the like?  Or do we find a way to add all of that to our posting template only if we are selected?  There seems to be a great deal of information that is normally part of a character sheet that you did not ask for on our application threads.

1. I'm not sure if I missed it, but is there a content list that we are restricted to for classes/subclasses etc?

2. Do we need to be very familiar with Dragonlance? I am not, so I'm hoping that's not a deal breaker

3. What's the tone of the campaign? Light, gritty, whimsical?

3 hours ago, tbgg said:

Where are we supposed to post things like skill proficiences/expertise, AC, and the like?  Or do we find a way to add all of that to our posting template only if we are selected?  There seems to be a great deal of information that is normally part of a character sheet that you did not ask for on our application threads.

If you'd like to do that right now that's fine but I was going to hold off on requiring people to do that until after their characters were selected just to save them the extra work.

14 minutes ago, Rumrunner said:

1. I'm not sure if I missed it, but is there a content list that we are restricted to for classes/subclasses etc?

2. Do we need to be very familiar with Dragonlance? I am not, so I'm hoping that's not a deal breaker

3. What's the tone of the campaign? Light, gritty, whimsical?

In the game expectations thread at the top of the game you'll find a list of books and supplements that you can reference. Anything in those is fine. Anything not found in those ask me and I'll consider it, but as you've seen I've been pretty good about allowing reskinning to accommodate applicants' desires.

You don't need to be very familiar with dragon legs. In fact I have to admit that I'm not all that familiar with it either and I'm just going off what I can find in the dragonlance campaign setting book and the dragonlance wiki. Prior to this my familiarity with dragon Lance was restricted to a dragon Lance dungeons & dragons cartoon I saw that looks like it was produced in the '80s.

Total campaign should be somewhat light in parts but mainly serious and maybe some gritty. I would like to avoid whimsical and slapstickery and hope that you characters fit well within the campaign setting.

5 hours ago, PureChance said:

Just wondering what speed of levelling you anticipate?

Finally (for now) wondering how viable you anticipate mounted combat to be, e.g. availability of mounts, planned adventure (aka percentage of campaign mount spends hitched up outside the dungeon entrance 😉)

I don't have the book on me right now to answer your question so I'll have to wait till I get home to check, but my general impression has been that it's a lot more dealing with Takhisis's army of draconians and not as much dungeon delving as a typical forgotten realms campaign, for example, so the viability of mounted combat seems pretty high. As for leveling the campaign book has specific points where you level explicitly written into the book and you will be leveling several times a chapter in some places. For example the first chapter is called the preludes and you'll be level 2 at the end of that and then the actual campaign starts in chapter 3 where you'll level up once or twice but in chapter 4 I think you level up three times.

3 hours ago, tbgg said:

Open up an extra part to the application that I'll label as optional for players who want to get it done right off the bat as a posting template for that.

4 hours ago, astronavigatrix said:

oh that's spicy, thank you very much kind DM.

You're very welcome.

As you might have guessed by my follow-up question, I'm far more concerned with whether you intend to play a good aligned character than necessarily the lineage itself. When I looked up the fey'ri forgotten realms, I saw that they were labeled as explicitly evil, "unlike the tealings that could be any alignment", and that raised a couple of red flags for me. Anyway when you said you intend to play them good I thought that's hunky dory.

Edited by Kamishiro_Rin (see edit history)

10 minutes ago, Kamishiro_Rin said:

You're very welcome.

As you might have guessed by my follow-up question, I'm far more concerned with whether you intend to play a good aligned character than necessarily the lineage itself. When I looked up the fey'ri forgotten realms, I saw that they were labeled as explicitly evil, "unlike the tealings that could be any alignment", and that raised a couple of red flags for me. Anyway when you said you intend to play them good I thought that's hunky dory.

Totally understandable! I'm not big on the whole 'this race HAS to be specifically evil Just Because' thing that D&D does sometimes so I just kind of... ignore it as it pleases me if I'm allowed to do so lol

1 minute ago, astronavigatrix said:

Totally understandable! I'm not big on the whole 'this race HAS to be specifically evil Just Because' thing that D&D does sometimes so I just kind of... ignore it as it pleases me if I'm allowed to do so lol

I'm exactly the same. Drow is my favorite lineage!

1 minute ago, Kamishiro_Rin said:

I'm exactly the same. Drow is my favorite lineage!

I've played at least three drow- one of whom I made albino specifically so he'd have to wear a lot of big, dark hoods and come off edgelord-y just so I could turn around and have him be the most useless chaotic flirt possible-

5 hours ago, Kamishiro_Rin said:

I don't have the book on me right now to answer your question so I'll have to wait till I get home to check, but my general impression has been that it's a lot more dealing with Takhisis's army of draconians and not as much dungeon delving as a typical forgotten realms campaign, for example, so the viability of mounted combat seems pretty high. As for leveling the campaign book has specific points where you level explicitly written into the book and you will be leveling several times a chapter in some places. For example the first chapter is called the preludes and you'll be level 2 at the end of that and then the actual campaign starts in chapter 3 where you'll level up once or twice but in chapter 4 I think you level up three times.

That is sufficient answer really, how quickly we reach level 3 and the meat of the class is the bulk of that question. Same for the mounted combat.

Was also wondering about the viability of Warlord (Paragon) homebrew class/subclass by kibblestasty - by no means set on it and probably equally happy to play a cavalier - but wanted to know if the option was on the table. Plus if you can't be bothered to read through a rather chunky homebrew document and want to say no on that basis I won't be aggrieved 

Edited by PureChance (see edit history)

7 minutes ago, PureChance said:

That is sufficient answer really, how quickly we reach level 3 and the meat of the class is the bulk of that question. Same for the mounted combat.

Was also wondering about the viability of Warlord (Paragon) homebrew class/subclass by kibblestasty - by no means set on it and probably equally happy to play a cavalier - but wanted to know if the option was on the table. Plus if you can't be bothered to read through a rather chunky homebrew document and want to say no on that basis I won't be aggrieved 

Okay! Now that I'm home, let me have a look at that homebrew. Color me hesitant, for now, but not a definite "no", just yet.

39 minutes ago, PureChance said:

So! I had a look! This Warlord class looks particularly interesting. I don't see a problem with it.

okay, no Dragonlance game is complete without a tinker gnome, so that's where I'm headed? Would they fit into any of those mage of the moon backgrounds? It didn't seem like a good fit to me, so I may try to shoehorn them into a Strixhaven quandrix background or maybe Izzet Engineer? I'm assuming the Strixhaven feat would be in lieu of a bonus feat?  Also are firearms available to tinkers?