Sheet Folders in Testing ×

The Out-of-Character Chat Thread

About Mery, we were at an inflection point. From a story point of view, it's not a stretch for her to decide not to accompany them on the mission. Then, she could be sent as an emissary to Palanthas to bring the news or accompany another team. Wherever, Mery exists just always off screen with no impact on the story.

I, like Phoenix, find the disappearance of PCs jarring. There's a huge world out there that our characters are not interacting with. It takes a sentence of explanation.

==============================

Before the mission, Coltan can create any metal equipment with an equivalent value of gp and an hour. So if Artanis needs a hooded lantern, it can be created. Grappling hook, done. Or Rin can be nice and say that we remembered to pack it before we left. Oil cannot be created.

cheers

To the question of magical amnesia, I agree that it's a much better approach than mean-spirited, visceral deaths. I mean, we don't always know people's life circumstances, especially play-by-post online, so a little goodwill goes a long way to not be a jerk about someone leaving. Also agree that it's not the smoothest either. I mean, there could be plausible in game reasons for Decimus tied to being a mysterious wizard with a past, Mery with a curse from the Hags, etc. We could also just have a general agreement that we won't be going out of our way to pursue interactions with past PCs.

1 hour ago, JubalBreakbottle said:

Before the mission, Coltan can create any metal equipment with an equivalent value of gp and an hour. So if Artanis needs a hooded lantern, it can be created. Grappling hook, done. Or Rin can be nice and say that we remembered to pack it before we left. Oil cannot be created.

cheers

Rope and oil it makes sense for the army to be carrying - in fact I think we have rope as well. Whilst I said the army was carrying grappling hooks, it might be a nice showcase of Coltan's abilities to chuck some scrap in a circle and a hooded lantern to appear, +/- grappling hook as your choice.

28 minutes ago, Peacemonger said:

We could also just have a general agreement that we won't be going out of our way to pursue interactions with past PCs.

I think this is the key to be fair, and an extension of the social contract of creating characters that want to go on the adventure. For an unspecified but perfectly sensible and reasonable reason, there are no on screen interactions with those characters. The exact reason doesn't even need stated, all the characters are aware of it and it goes unmentioned because it's so obvious, much like the sky being blue.

2 hours ago, JubalBreakbottle said:

cheers

Yes, you remembered.

Just to chime in, Hunni found Decimus’s disappearance worse than Mery’s, simply because she attached a lot of stuff to him and her disappearance seems more natural to me. Like, she had kind of decided she couldn’t adventure, perhaps she is off trying to figure out her necklace, or whatever.

it is harder for me to have Hunni forget her fellow mage.

in my head, he just had to leave, and Hunni pretended to forget him, if that makes sense.

But I agree, killing them off is too harsh, forgetting is better, but I would prefer an IC reason they left over amnesia. I don’t have a problem with amnesia, though, really whatever works is fine.

6 hours ago, KingGoblin said:

Just to chime in, Hunni found Decimus’s disappearance worse than Mery’s, simply because she attached a lot of stuff to him and her disappearance seems more natural to me. Like, she had kind of decided she couldn’t adventure, perhaps she is off trying to figure out her necklace, or whatever.

it is harder for me to have Hunni forget her fellow mage.

in my head, he just had to leave, and Hunni pretended to forget him, if that makes sense.

But I agree, killing them off is too harsh, forgetting is better, but I would prefer an IC reason they left over amnesia. I don’t have a problem with amnesia, though, really whatever works is fine.

It seems that I was right that both of these went over a lot worse than any one said before Phoenix mentioned anything.

I'm quite happy to say that Mery just parted from the party over irreconcilable differences and got sent off to Palanthas to do more research for them.

As for Decimus . . . that's significantly harder because he was right there, about to rescue Tatina's house and then Tyrteus quit.

How about we say that he sat down with the magic items and parts you all found whilst you were rescuing Tatina, and then decided to take them back to Kalaman. When you got back to Kalaman, he was on the research team with the device and any other items that get brought back.

Within limited capacity, I'm actually willing to NPC him for you, but I just can't NPC Mery. I can't, and do not want to get into Mery's head-space.

On 3/8/2024 at 7:12 AM, Kamishiro_Rin said:
  1. OOPS! Yes, everyone is level 5, not 4. I just leveled them up, so I forgot. My bad. I’ve fixed that. You will need a 5th-level character.
  2. 27-point point-buy or Standard Array (15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8), your choice.
  3. Tough or Skilled, or whatever your BG gives you.
  4. Yes.
  5. 500 gp plus 1d10 × 25 gp (any amount of which you may spend before you start playing on any extra equipment you want, including consumable magic items with prices listed in Xanathar’s, IIRC), one uncommon magic item (subject to approval), normal starting equipment

Just to get back to the new character applications. Appologies if it has been answered elsewhere and I just fail to find it:

1. What is the current active party rooster and how many new recruits are you looking for?

2. Would you be OK with modifying the Knight of Solamnia background for a more agile character that doesn't have to lug around a heavy armor all day by swapping the Athletics skill with Acrobatics as per the rules for modifying backgrounds in the PHB.

3. Should we include some character hooks to what bring the to the party or we should leave that to you?

@Falon https://www.myth-weavers.com/index.php?/forum/3856-applications/

here is the bit with the info on applications and a q&a thread for new applications. It's got info on situation of joining the party and possible hooks, as well as info on character creation rules and the characters being sought.

Current party roster is here https://www.myth-weavers.com/index.php?/forum/1297-players’-character-threads/

Edited by PureChance (see edit history)

2 hours ago, Falon said:

Just to get back to the new character applications. Appologies if it has been answered elsewhere and I just fail to find it:

1. What is the current active party rooster and how many new recruits are you looking for?

2. Would you be OK with modifying the Knight of Solamnia background for a more agile character that doesn't have to lug around a heavy armor all day by swapping the Athletics skill with Acrobatics as per the rules for modifying backgrounds in the PHB.

3. Should we include some character hooks to what bring the to the party or we should leave that to you?

What PureChance said, but I'm looking for 2 new players. I quite enjoy 7 players, as it lets me be more liberal in my challenge planning, rather than more conservative, lest I TPK the party. More players = less swingy math, and lets you all do more things, too. Anyway, we lost a wizard and a bard, so preference will be given to a wizard who can arcane, and skill/charisma character.

For 2: I feel like even the knights of Solamnia are smart enough to have more dex-based/charisma-based infiltrators and spies, rather than only big, tough men™. If nothing else, on the battlefield, fast and agile skirmishers are every bit as important as the knights on horses. TL;DR: Yes. That's fine.

• 4 weeks later...

And I'm back! The trip went mostly smoothly, though I could have done without the rain, and I could have definitely done without the 50-minute train-ride from my hotel to Akiba (plus the 600 m walk from the station to my hotel). That really puts a damper on things you'd like to do. Usually, I stay in a hotel in Ryogoku (but the prices were too high and they were all booked out, anyway), two stops from Akiba, so if I want to take a load off, rest up, or just drop off some loot, it's no bother whatsoever. This time, taking a load off would mean 2 hours of train rides. Ugh.

The new shinkansen from Tokyo to the town near mine was a blessing, though. No more transfers! Woohoo! Also, getting reserved seats wasn't such a problem.

I also went to the Warner Brother's Studio Tour Japan: The Making of Harry Potter! They tell you to plan 3.5–4.5 hours for your tour, but if you participate in all the photo-ops, you're easily looking at 6 hours—and that's not even including the hour they let you into the gift-shops and restaurant before your scheduled time!