The Out-of-Character Chat Thread

Just now, KingGoblin said:

Changed my mind, old granny is sinister. No robe for her.

Considering that she's casting prestidigitation in Proto-Indo-European, says she probably predates the robes by at least 3,000 years.

6 hours ago, KingGoblin said:

Is there a swamp anywhere around here with lizardfolk, I wonder, or were they wiped out a couple of thousand years ago.

Eh, Hunni wouldn't know.

Nightlund is known for being swampy, rainy, dreary, and wet. Believed to be cursed by Lord Soth's evil.

• 4 weeks later...

As I told my Dragon Heist game: If you’ve got a magic item you’d like for your character, then please peruse the Magic Item Tables A through H and choose 3 items you’d really like for your character. Keep it reasonable. Some items are entirely too overpowered for the level. Rank them from most desired to least. Next time I roll a hoard to give you all, I’ll check the lists to see if it’s a an appropriate time to swap out a randomly rolled item with one of your desired items.

• 2 weeks later...

My apologies for invading your OOC thread, but I see the game is advertising for some new applications. There isn't a thread under Applications to ask questions, so this might be the next best place.

1. Can you confirm the starting character level? I saw level 1 in some of the posts (probably from the original game) and level 4 at the top of the Applications section. I'm also noting that the rest of the party is level 5.
  2. How are you doing ability score generation? Point buy?
  3. For backgrounds, are you using the rule about if you get a feat with your background, that's fine. Otherwise you choose from Tough, Skilled, and...maybe one more?
  4. I noted that some of the characters had a feat at level 4. Do you receive an extra feat at level 4?
  5. How should starting equipment work?

Thank you for indulging my ramblings!

Edited by Shadeus (see edit history)

Hello there! I think Rin's still getting some things set up for re-recruitment, but welcome for now! If you're able to access the "Character Creation Information" tab at the top, there's some more info there! Rin may or may not be changing things though, so don't be too hasty.

4 hours ago, Shadeus said:

My apologies for invading your OOC thread, but I see the game is advertising for some new applications. There isn't a thread under Applications to ask questions, so this might be the next best place.

1. Can you confirm the starting character level? I saw level 1 in some of the posts (probably from the original game) and level 4 at the top of the Applications section. I'm also noting that the rest of the party is level 5.
  2. How are you doing ability score generation? Point buy?
  3. For backgrounds, are you using the rule about if you get a feat with your background, that's fine. Otherwise you choose from Tough, Skilled, and...maybe one more?
  4. I noted that some of the characters had a feat at level 4. Do you receive an extra feat at level 4?
  5. How should starting equipment work?

Thank you for indulging my ramblings!

1. OOPS! Yes, everyone is level 5, not 4. I just leveled them up, so I forgot. My bad. I’ve fixed that. You will need a 5th-level character.
  2. 27-point point-buy or Standard Array (15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8), your choice.
  3. Tough or Skilled, or whatever your BG gives you.
  4. Yes.
  5. 500 gp plus 1d10 × 25 gp (any amount of which you may spend before you start playing on any extra equipment you want, including consumable magic items with prices listed in Xanathar’s, IIRC), one uncommon magic item (subject to approval), normal starting equipment

Posted (edited)

It was brought to my attention that my fading both Decimus and Mery out irked one of you, so I will assume that others might have been similarly rubbed the wrong way and simply haven’t spoken up about it.

To whit, I joined a game once as a replacement player for someone who quit for reasons unknown to me. The DM in that game made a big show of having a blue dragon swoop down and literally obliterate the former PC-cum-NPC with its lightning breath. The DM described the burning viscera exploding out in a shower of sparks and steaming blood leaving only a pile of ash and flecks of leather armor behind.

That stuck with me as petty and mean, and as you can imagine, the game didn’t last much longer after that.

Either way, I would prefer that when players leave the game on good terms, be it Tyrteus’s busy schedule, or tbgg’s expectations misaligning with the game I’m running, that they just fade out and on the very minuscule chance that they change their mind, they can ask to rejoin the game and be brought back in—after an update of course.

Simply put, I’m not comfortable with NPCing someone else’s character. I’m certainly not going to run Mery.

I did not fade them out to be mean. I faded them out to be kind, but in a practical manner, but it did not come across as intended.

Either way, I apologize.

Addendum: As tbgg has given you all permission, you may go through Mery’s treasure and pull out any items you feel would be useful. All magic items she has are essentially party loot and return to the party. I wouldn’t post this if she hadn’t explicitly said it on the discord.

Edited by Kamishiro_Rin (see edit history)

I'm OK in admitting it was me who had brought the concern up. It was something that rubbed me the wrong way, but Rin and I talked it out and I absolutely get where he's coming from with the method and why. The explanation is much appreciated Rin, thank you!

I can see the circumstance Rin explained there definitely coming off as a sore point! And usually yes, I'm in favour of keeping characters around in case the player returns if they've left for time reasons or similar. I don't think we necessarily need to have collective amnesia for Mery though, since she left in the city and can easily be chalked up to her staying in Kalaman to help the war effort there through coordination, deciphering more dragon Army artifacts, and writing letters in support to various important people, plus helping Michelle in managing the Folketh barony since she was clearly invested in that. Nor do the characters need to have extended conversations with her in any of those roles, so Run doesn't need to play a players character. She still exists, just off screen. Like the household staff for the Folketh Barony, or Mayor Raven's assistants.

Edited by PureChance (see edit history)