Chapter 1: Old Bones and Skin

rogueblade0729

Amdiran, Son of Amdirgir | Dunédain Warden 2
spacer.png

AC: 15/17 | HP: 11/16 | HD: 2/2d8 | Initiative: +4 | Passive Perception: 15 | Warden's Gift: 1/3 | Foresight: 0/1 | Shadow Points: 2 | DM Inspiration: 1/1

Amdiran draws his final fire arrow. "Elendil! Guide my hand!" he cries as he draws his bow and lets the arrow fly. He aims for the Old Troll's eye, hoping to blind the foul beast.

Name
Short Bow (Fire Arrow)
24; 9; 3
keep(2d20,highest)+5;1d6+3;1d4 [18,19]; [18,19,6]; [18,19,6,3]

2NWcQT9m.jpg

Léofwyn (Rohirrim Warrior level 2)

AC: 17 | HP: 20/20| Initiative: +2 | Passive Perception: 15 | Insight: 11 | Speed: 30 ft | Inspiration: 1 | Shadow: 4

Léofwyn ducked as the Old Troll swung wildly with his club. She pushed her shield out deflecting the blow from landing on Prudence. It would have clobbered the crouching shield maiden had Orn not done the same for her. However, before she could utter her thanks, the dwarf chased after the leaping troll. She shrugged and followed.

Moving around the cave she stopped at Tomas' side attempting to shield him from the troll as she stabbed her sword at the creature.

OOC

Léofwyn will move then attack the troll again. 

If the troll attacks either Orn or Tomas she will use her reaction to impose disadvantage, prioritizing the boy.

Edited by grimlock (see edit history)
Name
Broad Sword Attack at Advantage and Damage
12; 7
keep(2d20,highest)+4;1d8+2 [2,8]; [2,8,5]

Music: Hammerhand - LOTRO Soundtrack

The South Downs - Fall 2947 T.A.

unknown.png.2614807b8b38e5dbafeaf0e61f57174e.png original.png

The battle raged on. Despite the Old Troll doing all it could to squash these menaces, the Company's ferocity managed to start overwhelming the creature. Prudence's blade seemed to find a weak spit in its armor, and thrusting as hard as she could, pierced deep into his flank, black ichorous blood flowing onto her steel. Orn's blow followed up, smashing the foe heavily on the gut, causing him to stumble backwards onto his rocky bottom. While the repositioning didn't offer the Shield-Maiden a clear path to strike it, it did give Fletcher a clear shot at his face. While the arrow didn't pierce the eye, the arrowhead and the flame certainly struck true, causing the beast to shriek in pain and clasp his left eye. The spent dart, however, was deflected off somewhere into the dark.

Snarling, but for the moment beaten, the Old Troll looked at the Company. He didn't immediately lunge at them again, but instead, with his back pressed to the stone wall of the cave, began to speak. "Ai! That smarts, it does," he groaned, his snarl settling down into a grim expression with half of his face winced in pain, still covered by his hand. "Elendil? That be a name I've not heard in many long years. Thou art one of the Men of Westernesse, art thou not?" the Old Troll asked, looking at Fletcher with one dark eye, more cunning than most foes of his kind that the Ranger has seen before. "Mighty was his folk, and mighty too are thee. Trusty foes you be, too, if thou walk with a Ranger. I ask for parley, if thou will abide me."

Tomas took the chance to back off, letting the others handle things. Though, he did begin to walk back towards the stone seat of the fire, seeking for the gnawed shinbone.

OOC

Roles for Journeys

• GuideIn charge of all decisions concerning route, rest, and supplies. Guides rely on Wisdom and Survival proficiency. - Prudence
  • ScoutIn charge of setting up camp, opening new trails. Scouts rely on Stealth and Investigation. - Fletcher
  • HunterIn charge of finding food in the wild. Hunters rely on success with Survival checks. - Orn
  • Look-outIn charge of keeping watch. Look-outs rely on their abilities in Perception. - Léofwyn

OOC: Prudence's critical hit, Orn's blow, and Fletcher's arrow all strike the Old Troll true! You've gotten him on the defensive, and for the moment, he seems willing to parley, if you will accept the offer. If not, he will take his turn before you all go.

Initiative

Léofwyn - 15
Troll - 14
Prudence - 8
Fletcher - 5
Tomas - 4
Orn - 2

Roll20 Map

To Post: Everyone!

@codexgigas @Grendel @Papa Bear @grimlock

Edited by rogueblade0729 (see edit history)

spacer.png
Orn, Son of Thain

Well, this was a turn of events that Orn had not expected.  He'd normally press the attack against such a beast, but the dwarf had to admit that he'd been taken aback by the Troll's speech about the Rangers... and Orn knew little about the Rangers.  He'd never even heard of them until joining up with Amdiran and the others.  Orn looks to the Ranger to see what he has to say.  Was this Troll invoking an old rite?  Or was it just trying to bide time for some advantage.  Orn had no way of knowing.  With weapon and shield poised, the dwarf, ready, but waiting on the ranger's response.

Holding action.

Edited by Papa Bear (see edit history)

spacer.png

AC: 15/17 | HP: 11/16 | HD: 2/2d8 | Initiative: +4 | Passive Perception: 15 | Warden's Gift: 1/3 | Foresight: 0/1 | Shadow Points: 2 | DM Inspiration: 1/1

Amdiran hesitates, looking at the Old Troll. The troll's speech disturbs him. The creature is more cunning than the others of his kind the Ranger has encountered before. He bites his lip, unsure of how to proceed. The Old Troll is a creature of the Shadow, and yet he requests a parley...

Amdiran looks at his companions. "I cannot make this decision alone," he says, "as it concerns all of us. Yet I am loath to strike any creature down in cold blood after it has requested a parley. The Shadow may twist mercy against us, but that is no reason to harden our hearts. For my part, I counsel that we parley."

The Ranger's hand never leaves his bow, although he does not draw and nock another arrow. "But know thou this, Old Troll. Should you prove false and violate the rules of parley, you shall face the wrath of Elendil's kin. The blood of Westernesse still runs true in the North, and Elendil's heirs are as doughty as their father of old," he warns.

2NWcQT9m.jpg

AC: 17 | HP: 20/20| Initiative: +2 | Passive Perception: 15 | Insight: 11 | Speed: 30 ft | Inspiration: 1 | Shadow: 4

Léofwyn eyed the troll suspiciously. Clearly he was up to no good. She backed slowly towards Tomas whispering to him and Amdiran. "I do not trust this foul creature. Stay close and beware of a trap." 

OOC

Disengage and move to protect Tomas.

spacer.png

Amdiran nods at Leofwyn's warning. "Very well, Old Troll. We shall parley with you. What have you to say for your actions in Bree-land?" the Ranger says. His hands never stray far from his weapons, but he makes no overt threat.

Name
Traditions (Rangers)
keep(2d20,highest)+4 8,11

For his part, Tomas shows the wisdom to not try antagonizing the massive, lumbering foe as the Company has forced it to be placated. Still, he continued to gather at the piles of freshly-picked bones from near the Old Troll's hard, stony seat, starting with the booted shinbone. Yet, he almost seemed to be searching for something in the process, something among the bones. Unfortunately, he could not yet locate the full body of his uncle, though his gaze began gazing across the room for it. Soon, though, it landed on the treasure hoard that the Old Troll had amassed for itself.

As for the creature, he propped up one knee from his head and clasped his hands upon it, staring hard at Fletcher. One eye was squinted shut, a nasty cut having grazed across its left eye, while the other was black and cold, boring into the Ranger with hate, yet lacking the wild aggression it once had. "I sought what any of the Stone-folk look for in such places: food. The living wield Elvish blades and hide in small places, but the dead do not mind. Thine lad's nuncle was freshly laid, and I've had no more wish for scrap and marrow. So I took him, all quiet-like. It would not have been the first foray into those fields, neither. And thee would have been none the wiser, had the lad not also been seeking for him."

The Old Troll shot a hard look at Tomas, who froze and gulped hard. "But what is done is done. He is here, and his leg made a fine roast." He leaned forward then, peering down with hulking mass at Fletcher. "What do thee seek here, Ranger? Surely thee would not have come with so few, into such peril, and none more of thine own folk, had thee not a purpose of thine own."

OOC

Roles for Journeys

• GuideIn charge of all decisions concerning route, rest, and supplies. Guides rely on Wisdom and Survival proficiency. - Prudence
  • ScoutIn charge of setting up camp, opening new trails. Scouts rely on Stealth and Investigation. - Fletcher
  • HunterIn charge of finding food in the wild. Hunters rely on success with Survival checks. - Orn
  • Look-outIn charge of keeping watch. Look-outs rely on their abilities in Perception. - Léofwyn

OOC: The parley continues, for now. If you wish to deceive the Old Troll at any point, you may roll Deception, but outright lying to him is still worth a Shadow point. If you wish to hide the full truth of your reason for coming so far, yet not tell any falsehoods, Riddle would be more appropriate. If you wish to bargain or negotiate anything, use Persuasion.

Initiative

Léofwyn - 15
Troll - 14
Prudence - 8
Fletcher - 5
Tomas - 4
Orn - 2

Roll20 Map

Edited by rogueblade0729 (see edit history)

spacer.png

Amdiran smiles at the Old Troll, but the expression does not touch his eyes, which remain wary. "One might ask why my folk do anything. Young Tomas' family think me an untrustworthy rogue who pries into affairs which do not concern him," the Ranger answers. "But I wonder why one as old and as cunning as you has been so careless? I thought one of your lesser kin had wandered out of the Trollshaws or the Misty Mountains. Had I known we were dealing with the Old Troll himself, I might have waited for more of my people to aid us. Yet, though I do not dispute your prowess, I think you would admit that we have held our own well enough. You are a doughty foe, of course, but we have proven ourselves doughty too. Our purpose was to ensure that Bree-land is safe, for the dead as well as the living. The only question now is how we shall do that. I wonder if you have a thought on the matter?"

Beneath his calm exterior, the Ranger is a bundle of nerves. The Old Troll is a much more cunning opponent that he had anticipated facing, and he finds himself hard pressed to engage in this duel of words without revealing too much.

Edited by codexgigas (see edit history)
Name
Persuasion
1d20+5 12

2NWcQT9m.jpg

Prudence Whitfoot (Hobbit Treasure Hunter 1)

AC: 15 | HP: 10/10| Initiative: +4 | Passive Perception: 15 | Insight: 13 | Investigation: 12 | Speed: 25 ft

Prudence understood the old rules about parley and other such customs, but she did not trust this troll - or any troll - to comport himself honorably, no matter the words he spoke.  She listened and watched carefully; she would not be the one to break the peace.  But she fully expected that he would, and regardless of what the monster said, he was responsible for much loss of life, the piles and piles of bones stood as witness; for that he must be held to account.  She didn't say anything yet aloud, book looked to the Ranger and then to all the bones around.  This creature is evil and not seeking redemption, she thought.

The Old Troll gave Fletcher a toothy, disturbing, grin. His breath smelled terrible as he spoke again. "Ensure the Bree-land is safe? Now why might thee desire so, Ranger? Do they not curse thy name behind thy back?" he asked, a sinister and prodding tone in his voice. "Bah, thy foolishness is not my concern. If that is what thee seeks, then I offer thee an agreement. Until thee draws a final breath, I shall not venture into those lands. The people thee love so dearly, and their dead, I shall not touch. In return, thee and thy companions will take the bones thee seek and leave my home at once, and never again return."

"But what about the map?" Tom piped up suddenly, his youthful recklessness getting the better of him. The Old Troll squinted his eye at those words.

"Map? What map?" the Troll asked.

"The map buried with me uncle! You must've carried it off with you when you dug him up."

"A map, my lad, is worth much. Why should I give it to thee?"

"Because by right it is my family's," Tom answered, "and I ain't leavin' till I got it! I'll break me foot on your seat for it if I have to!"

The Old Troll did not reply immediately, his expression hard but undecided. His gaze went back to Fletcher, to see what the Ranger had to say about this added request.

OOC

Roles for Journeys

OOC: The parley continues, for now. If you wish to deceive the Old Troll at any point, you may roll Deception, but outright lying to him is still worth a Shadow point. If you wish to hide the full truth of your reason for coming so far, yet not tell any falsehoods, Riddle would be more appropriate. If you wish to bargain or negotiate anything, use Persuasion.

Initiative

Léofwyn - 15
Troll - 14
Prudence - 8
Fletcher - 5
Tomas - 4
Orn - 2

Roll20 Map

2NWcQT9m.jpg

AC: 17 | HP: 20/20| Initiative: +2 | Passive Perception: 15 | Insight: 11 | Speed: 30 ft | Inspiration: 0 | Shadow: 4

The shield-maiden balked at her companion's willingness to treat with such a creature. Surely this foul thing had nothing but ill intentions. Léofwyn stood tall, "Hold your tongue, Troll! We shall not spare you to treat with minced words and false promises. You are bested. Fly from these lands while you still draw breath."

OOC

Attempt to intimidate the troll.

edit: spending inspiration for advantage.

Edited by grimlock (see edit history)
Name
Intimidate
1d20 4
Intimidate (Spending Inspiration)
1d20 16

spacer.png

Amdiran frowns as Leofwyn and Orn threaten the Old Troll. Still, the Ranger is not entirely sure that he can trust a promise from a creature of the Shadow. For all he knows, the Troll might attack as soon as the promise was sealed. If Amdiran's life proves short, he will have bargained away Bree's protection for naught.