Chapter 1: Old Bones and Skin

rogueblade0729

Music: Cardolan - LOTRO Soundtrack

The South Downs - Fall 2947 T.A.

image.png.ca8eece10464a43797ec3904bfcfa2b6.png

As the sweet fragrance of pipeweed fills the cold autumn air, Orn looks upon the map to discover that, indeed, smoke-letters become visible. They mark a site in the Midgewater Marshes, east of the Chetwood and north of the Great East Road. The runes say, "HERE LIES THE BLACK BARROW", and nearby, "HERE IS THE KING'S CHAIR". The marked location is only a few days' travel outside Bree. Tomas, for his part, is amazed at the revelation of the runes, and points eagerly at the mark.

"That's it! That's where Uncle Tim found his treasure!" he exclaimed. "One trip into the swamp, and I'll be rich as a king!" A thought occurred to him then, and his gaze fell upon the Company sheepishly. "Erm, that is... you lot seem capable of facing up to danger and don't fear the wild, like many of my folk. Would you like to come find this treasure with me? I-I'd be willing to pay you all, shall we say, half of it for your help! You've earned at least a quarter of it already, after fighting off that Old Troll and recovering me uncle's remains, though this hoard is also plenty payment for those deeds."

OOC

Roles for Journeys

• GuideIn charge of all decisions concerning route, rest, and supplies. Guides rely on Wisdom and Survival proficiency. - Prudence
  • ScoutIn charge of setting up camp, opening new trails. Scouts rely on Stealth and Investigation. - Fletcher
  • HunterIn charge of finding food in the wild. Hunters rely on success with Survival checks. - Orn
  • Look-outIn charge of keeping watch. Look-outs rely on their abilities in Perception. - Léofwyn

OOC: With the discovery of the smoke-letters, the location of Uncle Timeas' hidden fortune has been uncovered. The Company now has a choice: take their earnings from the Old Troll's hoard and end their part in the tale of the Heathertons, or join young Tomas on one more treasure hunt to find even greater riches and lost artifacts?

The Old Troll's Treasure Hoard

• A pile of skulls.
  • A few well-gnawed bones.
  • A few skins of wine and a brace of stolen chickens, enough for one meal per member of the Company.
  • A scattering of 20 silver pieces from Bree, used as toothpicks by the Old Troll.
  • A long-dead merchant's purse, containing a hefty number of coins. A successful Intelligence (Investigation) check reveals that the purse contains 23 silver pennies and 112 tin coins painted to look like silver.
  • The bones of a dwarf. Hidden beneath them are 4 gold pieces.
  • A woman's ring (worth 2 gold pieces, likely has sentimental value) and a woman's finger (worth 0 copper pieces).
  • A crudely made necklace of gold (worth 2 gold pieces).
  • A cunning puzzle-box of Dwarven make. A successful Dexterity (Sleight of Hand) check reveals 7 gold pieces and a letter written in Khuzdul (can be read by Orn).
  • A box containing cheap but well-wrought jewels and rings made by the Dwarves of the Blue Mountains (worth 10 gold pieces in total).
  • A coffin from Bree. The deceased was a notorious miser and his worldly wealth (worth at least 200 silver pennies, likely more) is stitched into the lining of the casket. Taking money from the dead in this fashion is a Misdeed worth 1 Shadow point.
  • A map!
  • 40 silver pennies per person; alternatively, you may forfeit this to try for magical treasure.

Roll20 Map

To Post: Everyone!

@codexgigas @Grendel @Papa Bear @grimlock

Amdiran, Son of Amdirgir | Dunédain Warden 2
spacer.png

AC: 15/17 | HP: 11/16 | HD: 2/2d8 | Initiative: +4 | Passive Perception: 15 | Warden's Gift: 1/3 | Foresight: 0/1 | Shadow Points: 2 | DM Inspiration: 1/1

Amdiran stares silently at the bracer for a long time, trying to puzzle out why its decoration feels familiar to him. For the moment, he cannot answer this question. He places it on his left arm. "This belonged to one of my people," he says softly. "I will bear it for the moment, until I can determine whose it rightfully is. I hope they will not begrudge me putting it to use. If we are to venture into the marshes, we will need any edge we can find."

The Ranger gives Tomas a considering look. He dislikes the young man's greed, but he fears Tomas will come to a bad end if left to his own devices. "The lad is likely to hurt himself if he ventures into the marshes on his own. My counsel is that we aid him, if only to keep him safe from himself." He pauses for a moment, taking in the company's depleted strength. "There would be no shame, however, if we returned to Bree first to rest. We will fare better in the marshes if we are prepared and at our full strength."

"Master dwarf, what do you make of this writing?" Amdiran asks Orn, showing him the paper he found in the puzzle-box.

2NWcQT9m.jpg

Léofwyn (Rohirrim Knight level 3)

AC: 17/18* | HP: 29/29 | Initiative: +2 | Passive Perception: 15 | Insight: 11 | Speed: 30 ft | Inspiration: 0 | Shadow: 4

Action Surge: 0 | Second Wind: 1 | Mark of Honor: - | Sworn Defender:

Léofwyn busied herself outfitting Aelfric with the new saddle, admiring its features. She looks to Tomas considering Amdiran's words, "Your heart must be stout to have come so far alone. I agree, it would be foolhardy for us to leave you now lest your heart lead you to greater peril. Let us see this through to the end." She bowed and swore an oath, "My shield shall protect you, Tomas Heatherton. Ic i begā árfæstnesBy my honor, I will serve you.." 

She finished mounting the last of the tack onto the horse. "You may ride upon Aelfric with me if you like. However, I fear there is no room for your uncle. What do you wish to do with his remains?"

OOC

Léofwyn will take Tomas as her Charge (Sworn Defender ability) however it technically doesn't kick in until after a long rest.

*when mounted

2NWcQT9m.jpg

Prudence Whitfoot (Hobbit Treasure Hunter 1)

AC: 15 | HP: 17/17| Initiative: +4 | Passive Perception: 15 | Insight: 13 | Investigation: 12 | Speed: 25 ft

"Treasure, ay?  I've a nose for such things, count me in," Prudence says.  She is up for the noble part of the cause also, of course; Heatherton was likely going to get himself killed alone.  But the thought of wealth to match some of the hobbit families from Hobbiton, or even the Brandybucks, had her mind wandering into familiar 'wool-gathering' places for a few minutes.

Edited by Grendel (see edit history)

"Well, I'm not planning on going for the treasure right away. After all, we have the only map to it, and I doubt it's been found by anyone else since Uncle Tim last visited it. We ought to head back to Bree, lay my uncle's bones to rest, then set out once we've had a bath, a bite, and bedrest," Tomas answered Léofwyn. "Maybe... maybe we can put together a sled for your horse to pull, and lay his coffin on that?"

Orn, looking at the letter, would almost immediately recognize the penmanship. This is a letter from none other than Balin, son of Fundin, one of Thorin's companions during the Quest for Erebor seven years ago! Strangely enough, it's addressed directly to the reader, but written in Khuzdul. Apparently, whoever had this last was a dwarf, likely caught and slain by the Old Troll while traveling from Erebor. Regardless, the letter simply bids the reader to deliver the puzzle-box and the letter itself to Lady Sigrún of Baraz-dum, better known to Men as the Halls of the Dwarves in the Blue Mountains. Upon doing so, the Lady is to reward the deliverer 100 silver pennies for their services. The back of the letter is empty, but Orn's recollection of hidden Dwarf-letters hints to him that whatever the message is, it's probably written in one of those on the back of the page. Which ones it is, he can't tell, but it's certainly not smoke-letters.

OOC

Roles for Journeys

• GuideIn charge of all decisions concerning route, rest, and supplies. Guides rely on Wisdom and Survival proficiency. - Prudence
  • ScoutIn charge of setting up camp, opening new trails. Scouts rely on Stealth and Investigation. - Fletcher
  • HunterIn charge of finding food in the wild. Hunters rely on success with Survival checks. - Orn
  • Look-outIn charge of keeping watch. Look-outs rely on their abilities in Perception. - Léofwyn

OOC: Orn reads the letter and discovers a side quest that leads to the Blue Mountains, and has a sizable reward for completion, too! Likewise, we just need confirmation on Orn's intentions before the story moves forward.

The Old Troll's Treasure Hoard

• A pile of skulls.
  • A few well-gnawed bones.
  • A few skins of wine and a brace of stolen chickens, enough for one meal per member of the Company.
  • A scattering of 20 silver pieces from Bree, used as toothpicks by the Old Troll.
  • A long-dead merchant's purse, containing a hefty number of coins. A successful Intelligence (Investigation) check reveals that the purse contains 23 silver pennies and 112 tin coins painted to look like silver.
  • The bones of a dwarf. Hidden beneath them are 4 gold pieces.
  • A woman's ring (worth 2 gold pieces, likely has sentimental value) and a woman's finger (worth 0 copper pieces).
  • A crudely made necklace of gold (worth 2 gold pieces).
  • A cunning puzzle-box of Dwarven make. A successful Dexterity (Sleight of Hand) check reveals 7 gold pieces and a letter written in Khuzdul (can be read by Orn).
  • A box containing cheap but well-wrought jewels and rings made by the Dwarves of the Blue Mountains (worth 10 gold pieces in total).
  • A coffin from Bree. The deceased was a notorious miser and his worldly wealth (worth at least 200 silver pennies, likely more) is stitched into the lining of the casket. Taking money from the dead in this fashion is a Misdeed worth 1 Shadow point.
  • A map!
  • 40 silver pennies per person; alternatively, you may forfeit this to try for magical treasure.

Roll20 Map

Edited by rogueblade0729 (see edit history)

image.jpeg.58cec584ace6fca2468cb9f0e8a37e5c.jpegOrn, Son of Thain

Weaponmaster

HP: 32 / 32          AC: 20 (16)           Second Wind: Yes          Action Surge: Yes          Character Sheet

The dwarf looks over the letter then gasps, "Its from Balin, son of Fundin." He says, suddenly getting more serious as he reads the letter.  "Its a quest to bring the puzzle-box and the letter to the Lady Sigrún of Baraz-dum.  There be a reward, aye.  What else it be, me does not know.  But I suspect there be some hidden rune letters on the back, crafted by someone much more clever than me.  We ought ta deliver the box." He says, then thinks for a second. "Where be this marsh? I only know tha road twixt Bree an' Baraz-dum, not the rest o' these lands."

Edited by Papa Bear (see edit history)

"Oh, it's just a bit to the northeast of Bree," answered Tom to Orn. "You'll have plenty of time to travel to far off lands for this Balin fellow, it's not like a few more days will make any more difference at this point."

With that, Tom helped the Company pack up all their gear and re-emerge from the ravine. Waiting for them at the top were two figures: Bregil, who was huddled near a small fire trying to stay warm, and Fallfyre, who was deeply pondering a skull that the Old Troll had engraved a strange rune into. Laid lazily at her feet was Bruta, enjoying the restful period after their long hunt. Both of them were very relieved to see the others return, and invited them to join them by the fire. Indeed, as the autumn night settled in across the land, a cool breeze flowed through their fingers and numbed their faces. With the need present to transport not one, but two coffins back to Bree, they went to work preparing a horse-drawn sled. Fallfyre, however, proved more adept at this task than the city-dwelling scholar, and by the end of her shift on watch she had woven a large, sturdy cloth out of the firm, wild grasses nearby. It would have to do.

OOC

Roles for Journeys

OOC: With that, the Company begins their return journey to Bree! I won't have us make Journey checks, there's really nothing around to threaten you at this point. But, I will give us an opportunity to close out this part of the adventure with a little roleplaying, as you sit around the campfire and ponder all that has come to pass. Feel free to get as much or as little into the mood of this moment as you'd like. I will be moving us along back to Bree once we get everything sorted out in the General OOC thread, or at least until Monday, depending on how much roleplay you all feel like engaging with at this time.

Also, I have updated the Roll20 map with the location of the Old Troll's (former) lair, as well as the Black Barrow and the King's Chair, so feel free to check that out. You can start plotting out your route there at your leisure.

Roll20 Map

2NWcQT9m.jpg

Léofwyn (Rohirrim Knight level 3)

AC: 17/18* | HP: 29/29 | Initiative: +2 | Passive Perception: 15 | Insight: 11 | Speed: 30 ft | Inspiration: 0 | Shadow: 4

Action Surge: 0 | Second Wind: 1 | Mark of Honor: - | Sworn Defender:

Léofwyn was glad to find the others safe, having feared the worst after the encounter with the old troll. She embraced Bregil and chastised him once more for leaving Bree. "I thought the boy was one fool enough, though I am glad to find you well." He blushed slightly, "Well if it were not for Bruta we may still be wandering in that dreadful fog. I do think a bit of rest and a warm bed would suit me well." She gave the hound a few scratches on the belly and turned to the lass "I suppose you all have had quite the journey, perhaps some rest in Bree-town will be good for you." Fallfyre simply nodded with a hard expression on her face, Léofwyn sensed the girl had probably meant to leave before finding Bregil. She did not blame her.  

Once a sled had been fashioned and prepared for Aelfric, they spent some time recounting the events that had led to the troll being driven away. Bregil seemed particularly interested in the old map and mysterious treasure horde of Timeas Heatherton. 

*when mounted

image.jpeg.58cec584ace6fca2468cb9f0e8a37e5c.jpegOrn, Son of Thain

Weaponmaster

HP: 32 / 32          AC: 20 (16)           Second Wind: Yes          Action Surge: Yes          Character Sheet

"Who's a good pooch? Yes, you're a good pooch!" Orn says as he cheerfully pets Bruta and rubs the dog's belly.

Amdiran, Son of Amdirgir | Dunédain Warden 3
spacer.png

AC: 15/17 | HP: 22/22 | HD: 3/3d8 | Initiative: +4 | Passive Perception: 15 | Warden's Gift: 3/3 | Discourse 1/1 | Foresight: 1/1
Shadow Points: 2 | DM Inspiration: 1/1

Amdiran is silent as he helps Fallfyre with preparing the cloth for the sled. He speaks to her quietly as they work, his voice soft and sad. "I suppose we shall part when we return to Bree, shall we not?" he asks. "Roads go ever on, but ours now wend in different directions. I shall miss you, Fallfyre. I hope you find happiness and the home you seek. Know that Girdley Island is open to you. Should you meet one of my people on your journey, you may speak of your friendship with Amdiran, son of Amdirgir, and they shall render you aid as they can." 

It is sometimes easy to forget that Amdiran is, in the estimation of his long-lived race, still a young man. In this moment, as he weaves the wild grasses clumsily and holds back tears, he seems almost as young as Tomas. "I pray that our roads may cross again," he says after a long silence. For a moment, it seems as if the Ranger will say more. The silence lingers, and the moment passes, leaving uncertainty as to what might have been said in its wake.

When the tasks is completed, Amdiran offers Orn some of his pipeweed. He sits and smokes in silence while the others share the story of their encounter with the Old Troll with Bregil and Fallfyre.

2NWcQT9m.jpg

Prudence Whitfoot (Hobbit Treasure Hunter 1)

AC: 15 | HP: 17/17| Initiative: +4 | Passive Perception: 15 | Insight: 13 | Investigation: 12 | Speed: 25 ft

Prudence was relieved to find the others safe and sound.  She did not know Fallfyre or really any of the others that well, but could tell the young woman's departure was an emotional and sad parting.  She sat quietly among them, letting them forget her presence if they so wished.

wide-shot-empty-grassy-hills-with-blue-sky-background-daytime_181624-8418.jpg

With the Company reunited, they settled in for a calm, quiet night of rest. Still, being so close to the Old Troll's cave, and knowing the creature was free to roam about in the night, they kept a watch on their camp. During Fletcher's watch, he felt himself tapped on the shoulder from behind. It was Fallfyre, quietly taking a seat next to him as he gazed out over the empty lands of once old Cardolan.

"I am... sorry, to have troubled you all so," she said, quietly clasping at her pendant. "Other thoughts have found their way into my mind. Your kin at Girdley have been most kind and welcoming, and they shall not have seen the last of me. But, something else calls me now, something new. I know not what it is, but I must find it. I cannot spend any longer in Bree, with you all."

She paused then, reaching into her satchel and withdrawing the black tablet she carried. "This stone cannot come with me. I have not your foresight, but there are evil works in these lands, and this is bound to them. I have felt it become cold, like the wind in a dark winter's eve, as long as I lingered in that valley. It is a fell thing... but I trust none other to guard it."

With that, Fallfyre passed the tablet to Fletcher, unwilling to take 'no' for an answer. "I have grown fond of this strange company. I will miss your fellowship, Fletcher. Guide them well. I shall not say 'good-bye', only... farewell for now."

Come the morn, the Company packed up their camp and set out for Bree. Despite their progress being slowed with treasure, neither brigand nor monster hunted them. While the Barrow-downs shall always be a fell place to wander past, they sensed no sudden danger from it, as long as they traveled no further west than the Greenway. With just a few days' march, they arrived back at the town on the hill, much to the amazement of those who knew they departed. For any who stayed in the Pony, they would not find a moment's peace until the townsfolk were satisfied with any tale they had to tell of the events following that strange evening.

Fallfyre, however, did not pass the gates of the town. She slipped away into the night, Bruta giving one final show of affection to the others before trotting away after the woman of 'Rhosgobel'.

OOC

Roles for Journeys

OOC: Alright, that'll be a wrap for this part of the adventure! I'll start up an Interlude thread later tonight for our Fellowship Phase.

Roll20 Map