Postmortem: Those who Tarry no Longer

Vladim

DCC is definitely a step or two down from CoC then. We avoided the distancing of players from the characters by tightly weaving the "grogs" into the main PCs. So while they usually did less talking, they were still part of the story. A grog run by me was in the service of one of the other PCs. So when my wizard died and I decided to switch to him, he was already an integral part of the remaining main characters and there was investment and continuation of at least some of the story line and character development. So while yeah, you lost somethign, you had something else just coming into it's own. We usually had a scene at the end where worked a lot of that out and then rolled new grogs to keep the numbers up. Each grog was tied to another PC so that we could bring them into the group more easily. Each grog had to have a bond of love or hatred to one of the main characters. We had some neat scenes with the hatred thing, done well it can be really fascinating.

It also helped that the grogs, having developed a bit more of a relationship to the party, could occasionally make a sacrifice play without it being too out of character for them if you really wanted to save the main characters. One guy willing to hold the door to buy the others 30 seconds of time because he was secretly in love with the party cleric can do a lot for the rest of the group's longevity.

Coming back to this a bit late, this (the example of the followers in DCC games) is something that appeals to me. And I like that your main characters have companions (e.g. Elfwyn, Nur) that could step up if something happened to them.

I'm probably not going to attempt horror to the extent that this adventure did using The One Ring as a system, but these are good lessons, broadly speaking.

Now, I'd like to talk about what's coming going forward. And I think one of the reasons that Sentinel was more satisfying as an adventure (to me at least) was that it engaged the PCs' backstories more. Mainly Dahr-Ol's, though there was no special reason for that; mainly just coincidence (geographical location for example).

Are there elements to Barin's or Dahr-Ol's backstories that you'd want to engage with? Things that could generate good opportunities for characterization, or even dilemmas and character development? I'd love to hear your ideas and thoughts, I'd you have any!

We've run a good long chapter that gave me a lot. I would be interested in learning about Barin.

The only Dahr-Ohl things I could think of would be Hillmen vengeance stories. Nothing really creative comes to mind.

1 hour ago, thesloth said:

We've run a good long chapter that gave me a lot. I would be interested in learning about Barin.

The only Dahr-Ohl things I could think of would be Hillmen vengeance stories. Nothing really creative comes to mind.

I am not sure about vengeance stories, but I have a bit planned for the north and that tower, and it involves the hill-folk, so I think there will be some material down the line. But I want to wrap up Tales from Wilderland first, which does not deal with the tower. We're now at the final stretch with the three last (and more closely connected) adventures needed to wrap that arc.

I'm also assuming Elfwyn will make a reappearance given that she's tied into Dahr-Ol, narratively and mechanically. You can even RP her and introduce some of those vengeance stories.

By the way, did you make the connection with the green glow in the fight with Valtar (which Dahr-Ol fought in Kinstrife) and the spirit towards the end of Those who Tarry (which Arton saw)?

And yes, I am also curious to hear if @Suzuki Stumpy @Diofant and @Yelik have anything about Barin, Gram and Ingi, respectively!

The green glow definitely caught my attention. It also figured in the discussion of how Viglund slew the sorcerer when the bard recounted that tale. It seems the shadow is corrupting many in the Wilderlands. Elfwynn still needs to be introduced with many of the Beornings, and re-introduced to Dahr-Ol's mother so I fully expect her to show up at times as we adventure. When/if we head back to the tower I would be interested in hearing more of Brunhild's story (I think I got the name right). That hill woman who was supposedly ranging near the Viglundings.

11 hours ago, Vladim said:

And yes, I am also curious to hear if @Suzuki Stumpy @Diofant and @Yelik have anything about Barin, Gram and Ingi, respectively!

Yes.  There probably is, but RL has taken up all my spare processing capacity this last couple of weeks.  Hopefully get a chance to have a think over the Easter break.

9 hours ago, Suzuki Stumpy said:

Yes.  There probably is, but RL has taken up all my spare processing capacity this last couple of weeks.  Hopefully get a chance to have a think over the Easter break.

Sure, no worries. Take your time. Looking forward!