Chapter 00: Prelude C (Scales of War)

Kamishiro_Rin

spacer.png                       Meryelle "Mery" Keryndon

Level 1 Half-Elf Sage College of Lore Bard

AC: 13 (Leather Armor) | HP: 10/10 | Speed: 30 ft.
Senses:  Darkvision 60 ft; Passive Perception 10, Passive Insight 10, Passive Investigation 14
Str:Save: -1
Athletics: -1

Carrying Capacity: 120 lb.
Lift/Push/Drag: 240 lb.
8 (-1) | Dex:Initiative: +2
Save: +4
Acrobatics: +2
Slight-of-Hand: +2
Stealth: +2
14 (+2) | Con:Save: +2 14 (+2) | Int:Save: +2
Arcana: +4
History: +4
Investigation: +4
Nature: +0
Religion: +0
14 (+2) | Wis:Save: +0
Animal Handling: +0
Insight: +0
Medicine: +0
Perception: +0
Survival: +0
11 (+0) | Cha:Save: +5
Deception: +5
Intimidation: +5
Performance: +5
Persuasion: +5
16 (+3)

Languages:  Common, Elven, Solamnic, Kharolian, and Draconic
Spell-casting: +5 or DC 131st 2/2 | Bardic Inspiration: 0/3

“My words,” | ‘My thoughts,’  | My actions

Moving forward another 30 feet, Mery shuts out everything around her and focuses on the monster ahead, taking a few moments to calm her breathing, and imagining her fear as rough water that is being held at bay by a large rock and is unable to reach her.  Nocking an arrow, she draws, aims, and looses.

This time, her arrow strikes the creature for a solid hit in its side that causes it to slump to the ground!  Pumping her fist in jubilation, she whispers an elated "Yes!", then yells to the newcomers, "Watch out!"

OOC

Action:  Shortbow shot at disadvantage due to range.

Bonus Action: —

Movement: 30 feet forward toward pine-green monster

Reaction:

Actions & Resources

Actions:

Shortbow (simple, ranged, ammunition, two-handed). Ranged Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, ranged 80/320 ft., one target.
                                                                                   Hit:  (1d6 + 2) piercing damage. 

Dagger (light, ranged or melee). Ranged Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, ranged 20/80 ft., one target.
                                                   Hit: (1d4 + 2) piercing damage.
                                                                   Melee Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target.

Hit: (1d4+2) piercing damage.

Bonus Actions:

Healing Word

A creature of your choice that you can see within range regains hit points equal to 1d4 + your spellcasting ability modifier. This spell has no effect on undead or constructs.

At Higher Levels. When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 2nd level or higher, the healing increases by 1d4 for each slot level above 1st.

Bardic Inspiration (3 per long rest, for 1d6)

As a bonus action, a creature (other than yourself) within 60 ft. that can hear you gains an inspiration die (1d6). For 10 minutes, the creature can add it to one ability check, attack roll, or saving throw. This can be added after seeing the roll, but before knowing the outcome.

Ammunition:

16 arrows in quiver, 4 arrow bundles in backpack.

Spellcasting:

Mery is a 1st-level spellcaster. Her spellcasting ability is Charisma (spell save DC 13, +5 to hit with spell attacks). She has the following bards available for spontaneous casting from her first level slots: 

• Cantrips (2/2 slots): prestidigitation, vicious mockery
  • 1st level (2/2 slots): healing word, hideous laughter

Class Features:

• 3/3 Bardic Inspiration0

Botting Instructions:  (i.e. What to do if I haven't posted in a while and haven't announced it.  Personally, if I haven't posted in 2 days and something is needed from me, BOT ME!  I hate holding up the action and will roll with whatever you choose to do.)

• Combat:  In combat, debuff enemies, inspire allies, drop Healing Word, especially on someone with low HP if Mery is close and the party cleric can't for some reason.  If all of that is out of the question, she prefers using her shortbow and staying at range, given her very low AC.
  • Outside of Combat:  She's a support, face, and lore nerd.  Do skill checks!  Persuade, deceive, and intimidate NPCs!  Drop spells that make things easier for the party!  Use tools!  If any male PCs or NPCs are kind to her, have her act like just slightly awkward, like she's not completely 100% used to that.

OOC

OOC comments, if I have them, will go here.

Edited by tbgg (see edit history)
Name
Shortbow, disadvantage
keep(2d20,lowest)+4 20,17
Shortbow damage
1d6+2 4

Going back in Time

OOC

Many apologies, @Peacemonger for having to go back on this, but when the Tan died, you got a face full of orange gas. Sadly, the Statblock doesn’t say “when PCs dodge out of the way first”. I’m sorry!

When the tan-green monster dies, Modri tries to dodge out of the cloud, but at the very least, he’s able to shake off the gas’s effects! He’s a hardy dwarf!

Present

Mery’s arrow strikes true and the pine-green monster dies, releasing a cloud of orange gas! Both Decimus and Hunni are able—maybe with the help of Mery’s warning, hold their breaths and not actually breath in the gas before it affects them, either!

OOC

Combat is finished. If your characters go looking for the 5th and final of the monsters—the red one that directed the green ones, you find little to no trace of it. Whatever you might find, regardless, indicates it is long since gone.

Artanis, Mery, Merituuli, and Modri: you can level up to Level 2! The preludes have finished!

As you check yourselves for injuries and regroup, many of you find that letter from Becklin and you’re reminded of why you’re out in this area of Ansalon in the first place: to go to Ispin’s funeral in Vogler!

OOC

One more thing . . .

Anyone with proficiency in Intelligence (Arcana) can make a ★DC 12 check to determine that★the gas had a transumtational magical effect, and if the result of their check (the same check; not a second check) is ☆17 or higher, they realize that☆it’s effect would be much like that of the flesh to stone spell, turning the character to stone for a minute if they fail too many constitution saving throws..

Edited by Kamishiro_Rin (see edit history)

Level 2 Half-Elf Sage College of Lore Bard

AC: 13 (Leather Armor) | HP: 17/17 | Speed: 30 ft.
Senses:  Darkvision 60 ft; Passive Perception 10, Passive Insight 10, Passive Investigation 14
Athletics: 0

8 (-1) | Dex:Initiative: +3
Acrobatics: +3
Slight-of-Hand: +3
Stealth: +3
Nature: +3
Religion: +3
Animal Handling: +1
Insight: +1
Medicine: +1
Perception: +1
Survival: +1
16 (+3)

Spell-casting: +5 or DC 131st 3/3 | Bardic Inspiration: 0/3

Mery ponders as a connection teases the edge of her mind.  But she gets distracted and loses her train of thought.  'Guess it wasn't important.'

She wanders down near where Hunni and Decimus are, wanting to look at the bodies of the fallen men.  She's seen dead animals before, but this is her first time seeing dead people.  Feeling sobered as well as a bit queasy, she closes the eyes of any corpse with open eyes, then gently searches the bodies, looking for valuables, or anything that identifies them. 

"Can we repair the wagon?  These men deserve proper death rites, and I'm sure their families would appreciate the bodies being returned in...well, a state unravaged by scavengers."

OOC

Action:  

Movement: 

Reaction:

Actions & Resources

Actions:

Shortbow (simple, ranged, ammunition, two-handed). Ranged Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, ranged 80/320 ft., one target.

Dagger (light, ranged or melee). Ranged Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, ranged 20/80 ft., one target.

Bonus Actions:

Healing Word

A creature of your choice that you can see within range regains hit points equal to 1d4 + your spellcasting ability modifier. This spell has no effect on undead or constructs.

At Higher Levels. When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 2nd level or higher, the healing increases by 1d4 for each slot level above 1st.

As a bonus action, a creature (other than yourself) within 60 ft. that can hear you gains an inspiration die (1d6). For 10 minutes, the creature can add it to one ability check, attack roll, or saving throw. This can be added after seeing the roll, but before knowing the outcome.

Ammunition:

Spellcasting:

Mery is a 1st-level spellcaster. Her spellcasting ability is Charisma (spell save DC 13, +5 to hit with spell attacks). She has the following bards available for spontaneous casting from her first level slots: 

• 1st level (3/3 slots): healing word, hideous laughter, unseen servant

Class Features:

• 0/3 Bardic Inspiration0

Botting Instructions:  (i.e. What to do if I haven't posted in a while and haven't announced it.  Personally, if I haven't posted in 2 days and something is needed from me, BOT ME!  I hate holding up the action and will roll with whatever you choose to do.)

• Combat:  In combat, debuff enemies, inspire allies, drop Healing Word, especially on someone with low HP if Mery is close and the party cleric can't for some reason.  If all of that is out of the question, she prefers using her shortbow and staying at range, given her very low AC.
  • Outside of Combat:  She's a support, face, and lore nerd.  Do skill checks!  Persuade, deceive, and intimidate NPCs!  Drop spells that make things easier for the party!  Use tools!  If any male PCs or NPCs are kind to her, have her act like just slightly awkward, like she's not completely 100% used to that.

OOC

OOC comments, if I have them, will go here.

Name
Arcana check
1d20+4 7
Perception - bodies
1d20 19

spacer.pngColtan Bluetemper

Level 2 Neidar Folk Hero Forge Cleric

AC: 16/18 (Chain Mail +2 Shield) | HP: 21/21 (2d8+6+2) | Speed: 25 ft.
Senses: Darkvision 60 ft., Passive Perception 15, Insight 13, Investigation 12
StrSave: +2

Athletics: +5

Carrying Capacity: 210 lb.
Lift/Push/Drag: 420 lb.
:
14 (+2) | DexInitiative: −1
Save: −1

Acrobatics: −1
Slight-of-Hand: −1
Stealth: −1☆

☆ Chain mail gives disadvantage
:
8 (–1) | ConSave: +3: 16 (+3) | IntSave: +0

Arcana: +0
History: +0
Investigation: +2
Religion: +2
:
10 (+0) | WisSave: +5

Animal Handling: +5
Insight: +3
Medicine: +3
Perception: +5
Survival: +5
:
16 (+3) | ChaSave: +2

Deception: +0
Intimidation: +0
Performance: +0
Persuasion: +2
:
10 (+0)

Languages: Speak, read, and write Common and Dwarvish

When the last monster explodes in orange vapors, Coltan slows his dash down and stops near the squire of Solamnia.  "Aye, sir knight?  What were those things?  Where was your troop gioing?"  He asks Artanis motioning to the dead knights while slinging his bluish steel warhammer on his weapon's belt. 

This broad-shouldered dwarf of average height wears a holy amulet of Reorx.  His shoulder length dirty blonde hair and full beard are relatively unkempt compared to most dwarves you might meet. He has a nasty scar down the right side of his face and eyes that sparkle gold.  Chain mail peeks out from the layers of his well-mended but stained leather and wool traveling gear. In addition to the warhammer, his weapons' belt hangs a handaxe and a dagger. He shoulders a backpack and shield.

After Artanis answers, the dwarf replies, "I'm Coltan Bluetemper.  Smith by profession, and on my way to Vogler for a funeral for a friend."

OOC

Action:

Bonus Action:

Movement: Move to Artanis

Reaction:

Use Object:

Actions and Resources

Actions

+1 Holy Warhammer (versatile). Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target.
Hit: 1d8 + 3 magic, fire damage.
Versatile damage: 1d10 + 3 magic, fire damage.

Handaxe (light, thrown). Melee & Ranged Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, ranged 20/60 ft., one target.
Hit: 1d6 + 2 slashing damage.

Dagger (light, thrown). Melee & Ranged Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, ranged 20/60 ft., one target.
Hit: 1d4 + 2 piercing damage.

Spell-casting: +5 or DC 13 | 1st 3/3

Cantrips

1. Sacred Flame (V, S). Spell Attack: Dex DC 13, ranged 60 ft., one target.  Fail: 1d8 radiant damage.
  2. Word of Radiance (V, M). Spell Attack: Con DC 13, ranged 5 ft., each creature of your choice. Fail: 1d6 radiant damage.
  3. Light (V,M).  You touch one object that is no larger than 10 feet in any dimension. Until the spell ends, the object sheds bright light in a 20-foot radius and dim light for an additional 20 feet. The light can be colored as you like. Completely covering the object with something opaque blocks the light. The spell ends if you cast it again or dismiss it as an action.  If you target an object held or worn by a hostile creature, that creature must succeed on a Dexterity saving throw to avoid the spell.

1st level spells prepared

1. Bless (V,S,M).  You bless up to three creatures of your choice within 30 ft. Whenever a target makes an attack roll or a saving throw before the spell ends, the target can roll a d4 and add the number rolled to the attack roll or saving throw.  Concentration up to 1 minute.
  2. Cure Wounds (V,S).  A creature you touch regains a number of hit points equal to 1d8 + your spellcasting ability modifier. This spell has no effect on undead or constructs.
  3. Detect Magic (V,S) Ritual. For the duration, you sense the presence of magic within 30 feet of you. If you sense magic in this way, you can use your action to see a faint aura around any visible creature or object in the area that bears magic, and you learn its school of magic, if any.  The spell can penetrate most barriers, but it is blocked by 1 foot of stone, 1 inch of common metal, a thin sheet of lead, or 3 feet of wood or dirt.  Concentration up to 10 minutes.
  4. Healing Word (V) Bonus.  A creature of your choice that you can see within range regains hit points equal to 1d4 + your spellcasting ability modifier. This spell has no effect on undead or constructs.
  5. Guiding Bolt (V,S).  Make a ranged spell attack against the target within 120 feet. On a hit, the target takes 4d6 radiant damage, and the next attack roll made against this target before the end of your next turn has advantage

Channel Divinity: 1/1 short rest

Turn Undead.  Expend a use of your Channel Divinity as an action to make each undead that can see or hear you within 30 feet of you to make a Wisdom DC 13. If the creature fails its saving throw, it is turned for 1 minute or until it takes any damage.

Harness Divine Power.  As a bonus action, expend a use of your Channel Divinity to regain one expended spell slot, the level of which can be no higher than half your proficiency bonus (rounded up).

Edited by JubalBreakbottle (see edit history)
Name
Arcana
1d20 4

image.png.f43e797dc98446c97baef5b972307405.pngArtanis Brightblade

Level 1 Human Knight of Solamnia

AC: 18 (Chainmail, Shield) | HP: 9/9 (5 THP) | Speed: 30 ft.
Senses: passive Perception 11, Insight 13, Investigation 9
StrSave: +3

Carrying Capacity: 255 lb.
Lift/Push/Drag: 510 lb.
:
17 (+3) | DexInitiative: +2★
★ Add Cha to Initiative (class feature)
☆ disadvantage on Dexterity (Stealth) checks from Chainmail Armor.
:
 8 (–1) | ConSave: +1: 13 (+1) | IntSave: -1
Arcana: -1
History: -1
Investigation: -1
Nature: -1
Religion: -1
:
 8 (-1) | WisSave: +3
Animal Handling: +3
Survival: +3
:
12 (+1) | ChaSave: +5
Deception: +3
Performance: +3
:
16 (+3)

Languages: You can speak, read, and write Common and Solamnic

DR3 vs nonmagical bludgeoning, slashing, piercing

My words,  | My thoughts,  | My actions . . .

As the last creature falls to Mery's arrow Artanis gives a last worried stare to the treeline, but no other monsters appear. Thankfully whatever that orange gas was seems to have just left people hacking and coughing, and as the last of it clears and the monsters crumble away, he slides his javelin away over his shoulder. Aside from the caravan, there was disturbingly little evidence of their battle...

He turns as the newcomer dwarf approaches from behind. He's still breathing heavily as he replies "Not my company friend, though I thank you for your aid. I fear we arrived too late."

"I've never seen the like of these monsters before." He continues, "to be honest, I'm new to the order."

After the dwarf introduces himself Artanis slides his mailed glove off and offers him a hand. "Artanis Brightblade, of the Order of Solamnia. Pleased to meet you. We were heading the same way actually, till we came upon this. Perhaps we could continue together?" He gestures towards Coltan's weapon that had been spewing light and fire. "That's a mighty fine hammer you have there, if there's much more of this I'd be pleased it have it by my side again!

OOC

Action: —

Free: 

Bonus Action: 

Movement: 

Reaction: 

Object Interaction: 

Actions & Resources

Actions:

Longsword (versatile). Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 7 (1d8 + 3) slashing damage. Versatile damage: 8 (1d10 + 3) slashing damage.

Javelin (range, thrown) [3]. Thrown Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, ranged 30/120 ft., one target. Hit: 6 (1d6 + 3) piercing damage.

Battlefield Presence. When you take the Attack action, in place of making an attack, you can use your Battlefield Presence to grant a friendly creature that can see or hear you an additional attack the next time they take the Attack action during their turn. Any additional attacks granted that are unused at the start of your next turn are lost. A friendly creature can only gain one additional attack from this feature per round from this feature.

Bonus Actions:

—

Class Features:

Precise Strike. 1/2

Lead the Charge. When you roll initiative you gain temporary hit points equal to your Charisma modifier + your proficiency bonus (5 THP).

Edited by PureChance (see edit history)

OOC

One more thing . . .

Anyone with proficiency in Intelligence (Arcana) can make a ★DC 12 check to determine that★the gas had a transumtational magical effect, and if the result of their check (the same check; not a second check) is ☆17 or higher, they realize that☆it’s effect would be much like that of the flesh to stone spell, turning the character to stone for a minute if they fail too many constitution saving throws..

token1.png.1f361b5b69f15cd7a9ff716bb787caee.pngHunni Collic

Gully Dwarf Mage of High Sorcery Hexblade Warlock

AC: 18 (Scale Mail+2 Shield +2 Dex) | HP: 17/17 (2d8+4) | Speed: 30 ft.
Senses: Darkvision, passive Perception 11, Insight 11, Investigation 9
StrSave: -1
:
8 (-1) | DexSave: +2
Slight-of-Hand: +2
Stealth: +2☆
☆ disadvantage on Dexterity (Stealth) checks from Scale Mail Armor.

Initiative: +2
:
14 (+2) | ConSave: +2: 15 (+2) | IntSave: -1
Arcana: +1
History: +1
Nature: +1
:
:
Intimidation: +3
Persuasion: +3
:
17 (+3)

Languages: You can speak, read, and write Common, Gullytalk, Elven, and Dwarven

Hunni's eyes continue to glow for several seconds, before she loses her train of thought and they stop.  She stows her whip.

The young warlock is a filthy gully dwarf, wearing a mismatch of armor and robes, holding a shield and whip, with a pouch prominently displayed showing the symbol of the Mages of High Sorcery.  She is a little shorter than the average kender, about gnome-shaped, although more slender.  Her entire presentation screams confusion and, probably, larceny.

"Hey!  Why didn't you warn me they exploded?" She asks, as she looks around.  Smacking her lips, as though tasting the gas, she comments, "Trans..  transmu...  Turn to stone gas.  Nasty surprise."

OOC

Action: --

Bonus Action:

Movement: --

Reaction:

Actions and Resources

Actions

Eldritch Blast (cantrip). Ranged Spell Attack: + 5 to hit, range 120 ft, one target.
Hit: (1d10+3) force damage.

Infestation (cantrip). Spell: Constitution Save DC 13, range 30 ft, one target.
On failed save: (1d6) poison damage, and target must move 5' in a random direction (d4; 1-North, 2-South, 3-East, 4-West). 

Whip (finesse, reach). Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 10 ft., one target.
Hit: (1d4 + 3) slashing damage.

Battleaxe (versatile). Melee Weapon Attack: reach 5 ft., one target.
Hit: (1d8 - 1) slashing damage.
Versatile: (1d10 - 1) slashing damage.

☆ Note:  With Hex Warrior, can set one weapon to use Charisma instead of Strength or Dexterity for to-hit and damage.  Currently whip.

Bonus Actions

Hexblade's Curse.

Starting at 1st level, you gain the ability to place a baleful curse on someone. As a bonus action, choose one creature you can see within 30 feet of you. The target is cursed for 1 minute. The curse ends early if the target dies, you die, or you are incapacitated. Until the curse ends, you gain the following benefits:

• You gain a bonus to damage rolls against the cursed target. The bonus equals your proficiency bonus.
  • Any attack roll you make against the cursed target is a critical hit on a roll of 19 or 20 on the d20.
  • If the cursed target dies, you regain hit points equal to your warlock level + your Charisma modifier (minimum of 1 hit point).

You can’t use this feature again until you finish a short or long rest.

Grovel, Cower, and Beg (Reskinned Draconic Cry).

As a bonus action, you let out a cry at your enemies within 10 feet of you. Until the start of your next turn, you and your allies have advantage on attack rolls against any of those enemies who could hear you. You can use this trait a number of times equal to your proficiency bonus, and you regain all expended uses when you finish a long rest.

Spellcasting

Hunni is a spellcaster.  Her spell slots are at 1st level.  She has 2 spell slots.  Her spellcasting attribute is Charisma.  Spell Save DC 13.  Spell Attack Modifier +5.  She can use an arcane focus as a spellcasting focus.

• Cantrips:  Eldritch Blast, Infestation, Prestidigitation
  • Spells Known:  Armor of Agathys, Wrathful Smite, Hex, Dissonant Whispers, Unseen Servant
  • Invocations:  Devil's Sight, Agonizing Blast

OOC

One more thing . . .

Edited by KingGoblin (see edit history)
Name
Arcana
1d20+1 18

Anyone who examines the dead soldiers’ armor and ★succeeds on a DC 12 Intelligence (History) check recognizes them as★Knights of Solamnia. (Artanis has advantage on the check).

When you search the remains, you find correspondence that states the knights were investigating reports of nearby farmsteads being raided by strange creatures that match the monsters’ descriptions.

OOC

Treasure. The three soldiers each wear plate armor with filigree and horned helmets distinctive to ★See note above about who they are★, but each suit bears vicious claw marks that make it unusable. Among the wreckage are also three longswords, fourteen days of food and water for one person, and 70 gp.

Conclusion

Shortly after the monsters are defeated, Rhys rejoins you and asks them what those monsters were. He has no idea, and you don’t either: this is one of the first times monsters have made their way into Solamnia.

It’s not long afterward that more travelers come along, joining you and whomever you were traveling with towards Vogler.

As for the cart, it need merely be righted. It was, fortunately only toppled over, and not destroyed or broken.

Edited by Kamishiro_Rin (see edit history)

token_1.png.ba18d35c074c2d2a05b1e13a8e573631.pngDecimus - Initiate of High Sorcery | Bladesinger Wizard | Human

AC: 13 [+3 From Bladesong | +5 from shield if attacked] | HP: 14/14 | Speed: 30 ft | Spell-casting: +5 / DC 13
Senses: Passive Perception 12, Insight 12, Investigation 15
STR: Score: -1
| DEXScore: +3
Sleight of Hand: +3
:
 16 | CONScore: 214 | INTScore: +3
Arcana: +5
History: +5
Investigation: +5
Religion: +5
:
 16 | WISScore: 0

Animal Handling: 0
Insight: +2
Medicine: 0
Perception: +2
Survival: 0
:
 10 | CHAScore: -1

Deception: -1
Intimidation: -1
Performance: -1
Persuasion: -1
:

Languages: Common, Abyssal, Celestial, Primordial

FeatsWar CasterPrerequisite: The ability to cast at least one spell
You have practiced casting Spells in the midst of Combat, learning Techniques that grant you the following benefits:
You have advantage on Constitution Saving Throws that you make to maintain your Concentration on a spell when you take damage.
You can perform the somatic Components of Spells even when you have Weapons or a Shield in one or both hands.
When a Hostile creature’s Movement provokes an opportunity Attack from you, you can use your Reaction to Cast a Spell at the creature, rather than making an opportunity Attack. The spell must have a Casting Time of 1 Action and must target only that creature.

| FeaturesRitual CastingYou can cast a wizard spell as a ritual if that spell has the ritual tag and you have the spell in your spellbook. You don’t need to have the spell prepared.
Arcane RecoverYou have learned to regain some of your magical energy by studying your spellbook. Once per day when you finish a short rest, you can choose expended spell slots to recover. The spell slots can have a combined level that is equal to or less than half your wizard level (rounded up), and none of the slots can be 6th level or higher. For example, if you’re a 4th-level wizard, you can recover up to two levels worth of spell slots. You can recover either a 2nd-level spell slot or two 1st-level spell slots.
BladesongYou can invoke an elven magic called the Bladesong, provided that you aren't wearing medium or heavy armor or using a shield. It graces you with supernatural speed, agility, and focus. You can use a bonus action to start the Bladesong, which lasts for 1 minute. It ends early if you are incapacitated, if you don medium or heavy armor or a shield, or if you use two hands to make an attack with a weapon. You can also dismiss the Bladesong at any time (no action required). While your Bladesong is active, you gain the following benefits: You gain a bonus to your AC equal to your Intelligence modifier (minimum of +1). Your walking speed increases by 10 feet. You have advantage on Dexterity (Acrobatics) checks. You gain a bonus to any Constitution saving throw you make to maintain your concentration on a spell. The bonus equals your Intelligence modifier (minimum of +1). You can use this feature a number of times equal to your proficiency bonus, and you regain all expended uses of it when you finish a long rest.

| ActionsRapierATTACK: DEX [3]+ Proficiency [2]
RANGE: 5ft
MAGIC BONUS: 0
CRIT RANGE: 20
DAMAGE: 1d8 + DEX [3]
TYPE: Piercing
DESCRIPTION: melee weapon (martial, sword)

Bladesinging Rapier StrikeATTACK: DEX [3]+ Proficiency [2]
RANGE: 5ft
MAGIC BONUS: 0
CRIT RANGE: 20
DAMAGE: 1d8 + DEX [3]
TYPE: Piercing
DESCRIPTION: melee weapon (martial, sword)
 | SpellsCantrips
Blade WardBlade Ward
Abjuration cantrip
Casting Time:1 action
Range: Self
Target: Self
Components: V S
Duration: 1 round
Description:You extend your hand and trace a sigil of warding in the air. Until the end of your next turn, you have resistance against bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing damage dealt by weapon attacks.

Booming BladeBooming Blade
Evocation cantrip
Casting Time:1 action
Range: Self (5ft radius)
Target: One creature within the spell’s range
Components: V, M (a melee weapon worth at least 1 sp)
Duration: 1 round
Description:You brandish the weapon used in the spell's casting and make a melee attack with it against one creature within 5 feet of you. On a hit, the target suffers the weapon attack’s normal effects and then becomes sheathed in booming energy until the start of your next turn. If the target willingly moves 5 feet or more before then, it immediately takes 1d8 thunder damage, and the spell ends. This spell’s damage increases when you reach certain levels. At 5th level, the melee attack deals an extra 1d8 thunder damage to the target on a hit, and the damage the target takes for moving increases to 2d8. Both damage rolls increase by 1d8 at 11th level (2d8 and 3d8) and again at 17th level (3d8 and 4d8).

Green Flame Blade1st Level Evocation
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: Self (5-foot radius)
Target: One creature within the spell’s range
Components: V, M (a melee weapon worth at least 1 sp)
Duration: Instantaneous
Classes: Sorcerer, Warlock, Wizard
Description: You brandish the weapon used in the spell's casting and make a melee attack with it against one creature within 5 feet of you. On a hit, the target suffers the weapon attack’s normal effects, and you can cause green fire to leap from the target to a different creature of your choice that you can see within 5 feet of it. The second creature takes fire damage equal to your spellcasting ability modifier. This spell’s damage increases when you reach certain levels. At 5th level, the melee attack deals an extra 1d8 fire damage to the target on a hit, and the fire damage to the second creature increases to 1d8 + your spellcasting ability modifier. Both damage rolls increase by 1d8 at 11th level (2d8 and 2d8) and 17th level (3d8 and 3d8).

1st-Level
Expeditious Retreat1st Level Transmutation
Casting Time: 1 bonus action
Duration: Concentration, up to 10 minutes
Classes: Artificer, Sorcerer, Warlock, Wizard
Description: This spell allows you to move at an incredible pace. When you cast this spell, and then as a bonus action on each of your turns until the spell ends, you can take the Dash action.

Magic Missile1st Level Evocation
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: 120ft
Target: A creature of your choice that you can see within range
Duration: Instantaneous
Classes: Sorcerer, Wizard
Description: You create three glowing darts of magical force. Each dart hits a creature of your choice that you can see within range. A dart deals 1d4 + 1 force damage to its target. The darts all strike simultaneously, and you can direct them to hit one creature or several. At Higher Levels: When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 2nd level or higher, the spell creates one more dart for each slot level above 1st.

Tensors Floating Disk © (a drop of mercury)
Tash's Hideous Laughter © (Tiny tarts and a feather that is waved in the air)
Identify (A pearl worth at least 100 gp and an owl feather)
Detect Magic ©
Absorb Elements
Charm Person
Comprehend Languages [Initiate of High Sorcery Feat]
Shield1st Level Abjuration
Casting Time: 1 reaction, which you take when you are hit by an attack or targeted by the magic missile spell
Duration: 1 Round
Classes: Sorcerer, Wizard
Description: An invisible barrier of magical force appears and protects you. Until the start of your next turn, you have a +5 bonus to AC, including against the triggering attack, and you take no damage from magic missile.
[Initiate of High Sorcery Feat]

Decimus face is set with grim determination as the spell impacts the scaled creature, ready to once more strike at it to finish it off when an arrow lodges itself in its side, sending it lifelessly to the floor.  The words of warnings from the other combatants echoing in his mind to get out of the way of the dying creature made the Wizard take a couple steps back as orange gas burst from every pore of the creatures body as it dissolved into a cloud of odious orange fog, not quite reaching him.  He wafts a hand in front of his nose for a moment, the pungent odor is very unpleasant, but given the smell and the color of the gas, he recognizes the effect, so to does Hunni.  Again, she speaks what is in his mind, and he finds himself quite happy to have her presence alongside him.  As the orange smoke wafts away harmlessly in the breeze, he gazes among the bodies of the knights on the ground, his eyes lingering on the distinctive engravings on the steel.  

"Knights of Solamnia...?"

There was another one here too, alive, but unrelated it seems.  He had little experience with the order, since the Mages and Knights did not cross paths too often, the blemish on their history and their alleged participation in the Cataclysm had soured the relationship.  Though the Wizard would hardly be one to believe a world-ending event could not have involved members of his own organization, spell-casters could be a nefarious bunch.  Decimus acknowledges their introductions, adjusting his sakkat, which had shifted during the fight.  He sheathes his rapier in the black haori around his waist before smoothing out his long pink kimono draped over the white robes beneath.  His single eye examining the audience before him.  

"Decimus, of the Order of the White Robe, Vogler is on the way to our destination too"

The initiate part of the title seemed superfluous.  But his interest in Vogler was piqued considering he too had been invited there, also for a funeral, and since it was on the way to Kalaman, he had made plans to stop by on the way.  If Hunni had intended to deviate from their path to the city, she had not mentioned it, but it appeared this group happened to be quite a fortuitous find.  Though this could not simply be a coincidence, these auguries did not yet mean anything to him, but he intended to put the pieces together soon.       

"Does the name Ispin Greenshield mean anything to any of you by chance?  

spacer.png

OOCAction: Cast booming blade and strike the creature with his rapier

Bonus Action: Bladesong is activated

Movement: Move forward five feet to put himself within reach of the monster, then 10 feet backwards after attacking

Reaction: Shield is cast if struck

Edited by tyrtaeus (see edit history)
Name
Intelligence Arcana | Intelligence History
18; 18
1d20+5;1d20+5 [13]; [13,13]

:

:

:

:

:
10 (+0)

Coltan shakes the proffered hand of the squire of Solamnia.  Then, he looks down and touches the bluish steel warhammer on his weapons' belt as he replies to Artanis, "aye.  I just received this hammer yesterday in a manner that I canna hardly believe myself, and you would certainly not believe me even if I told you."  In response, the head of the hammer ignites in heatless flames.  The dwarf just sighs and shakes his head.

Before he can agree to accompany Artanis to Vogler, Decimus mentions Ispin.  The dwarf brightens his gold eyes sparkle in the radiant flames, "aye!  Ispin was my friend.  It's his funeral I plan to attend.  Did you know him, too?  Probably, he traveled a lot.  He did."

After a pause, he continues, "Becklin, a knight of Solamnia, is organizing Ispin's funeral.  We should give his comrades a decent sendoff and return their gear to him to forward to their families."

OOC

Action: Cast Light on the warhammer

Bonus Action:

Movement:

Reaction:

Use Object:

Actions and Resources

Actions

+1 Holy Warhammer (versatile). Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target.

Handaxe (light, thrown). Melee & Ranged Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, ranged 20/60 ft., one target.

Dagger (light, thrown). Melee & Ranged Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, ranged 20/60 ft., one target.

Cantrips

1. Sacred Flame (V, S). Spell Attack: Dex DC 13, ranged 60 ft., one target.  Fail: 1d8 radiant damage.
  2. Word of Radiance (V, M). Spell Attack: Con DC 13, ranged 5 ft., each creature of your choice. Fail: 1d6 radiant damage.
  3. Light (V,M).  You touch one object that is no larger than 10 feet in any dimension. Until the spell ends, the object sheds bright light in a 20-foot radius and dim light for an additional 20 feet. The light can be colored as you like. Completely covering the object with something opaque blocks the light. The spell ends if you cast it again or dismiss it as an action.  If you target an object held or worn by a hostile creature, that creature must succeed on a Dexterity saving throw to avoid the spell.

1. Bless (V,S,M).  You bless up to three creatures of your choice within 30 ft. Whenever a target makes an attack roll or a saving throw before the spell ends, the target can roll a d4 and add the number rolled to the attack roll or saving throw.  Concentration up to 1 minute.
  2. Cure Wounds (V,S).  A creature you touch regains a number of hit points equal to 1d8 + your spellcasting ability modifier. This spell has no effect on undead or constructs.
  3. Detect Magic (V,S) Ritual. For the duration, you sense the presence of magic within 30 feet of you. If you sense magic in this way, you can use your action to see a faint aura around any visible creature or object in the area that bears magic, and you learn its school of magic, if any.  The spell can penetrate most barriers, but it is blocked by 1 foot of stone, 1 inch of common metal, a thin sheet of lead, or 3 feet of wood or dirt.  Concentration up to 10 minutes.
  4. Healing Word (V) Bonus.  A creature of your choice that you can see within range regains hit points equal to 1d4 + your spellcasting ability modifier. This spell has no effect on undead or constructs.
  5. Guiding Bolt (V,S).  Make a ranged spell attack against the target within 120 feet. On a hit, the target takes 4d6 radiant damage, and the next attack roll made against this target before the end of your next turn has advantage

Turn Undead.  Expend a use of your Channel Divinity as an action to make each undead that can see or hear you within 30 feet of you to make a Wisdom DC 13. If the creature fails its saving throw, it is turned for 1 minute or until it takes any damage.

Harness Divine Power.  As a bonus action, expend a use of your Channel Divinity to regain one expended spell slot, the level of which can be no higher than half your proficiency bonus (rounded up).

Edited by JubalBreakbottle (see edit history)
Name
History
1d20 13

MerituuliToken.png.53f9774174cd1fbd27a1aa51cf1736c8.pngMerituuli Kaiutin

Level 2 Sea Elf Far Traveler Beast Master Ranger

AC: 18 (Scale Mail, +2 Shield) | HP: 24/24 (2d10+4+4) | Speed: 30 ft., Swim 30 ft.
Senses: passive Perception 17 (Expertise, Darkvision 60 ft.), Insight 15, Investigation 10
Str:Save: +3
Athletics: +3

Carrying Capacity: 180 lb.
Lift/Push/Drag: 360 lb.
12 (+1) | Dex:Initiative: +2
Sleight of Hand: +2
Stealth: +2☆

☆Disadvantage on Dexterity (Stealth) checks from Scale Mail Armor.
 14 (+2) | Con:Save: +2 14 (+2) | Int:Save: +0
Investigation: +0
Nature: +2
Religion: +0
10 (+0) | Wis:Save: +3
Insight: +5
Perception: +7★

★Expertise in Perception (Deft Explorer - Canny)
17 (+3) | Cha:Save: -1
Deception: -1
Intimidation: -1
Performance: -1
Persuasion: -1
 8 (-1)

Languages: Common, Elvish, Kenderspeak, Kharolian, Khur

“My words” | ‘My thoughts’  | My actions . . .

Merituuli's focus remains keenly on the pine-scaled monstrosity accosting the human and small dwarf, waiting for just the right opening... that is, until Meryelle takes her own shot, leading to the fiend turning to stone and expelling the strange orange gas, thankfully without ill effects to the two it was attacking.  Closing the distance to the half-elf, he claps a hand on her shoulder and says, "Good shot!" while giving her a broad, toothy smile.

Continuing forward, he sidles up next to Artanis and Coltan, not even bothering to conceal his awe as the dwarf's hammer alights once more with heatless fire.  Clearly invading the dwarf's personal space, he gets in close to study the warhammer while saying, "Master dwarf, you simply must tell me how you unlocked the inner magics of your weapon!  Utterly fascinating!  Perhaps you could take a look at what I've found?"  He begins to excitedly pull the massive shell from his back when the name Ispin Greenshield is mentioned.

The mention of Ispin draws Merituuli's attention back to the others.  "I'm here for Ispin's funeral as well.  I've never been this far north, in fact!  Ispin visited when I was young.  He helped my people slay a sea serpent that had been terrorizing the waters around my city.  He... he was a great inspiration to me.  It hasn't quite set in yet that he's gone..."

In regards to the soldiers, he says, "I admit, I know nothing of your customs regarding death.  Still, if it is any consolation, I pray that the Fisher guides them gently into the Endless Blue."

OOC

Action: 

Bonus Action: —

Movement: 

Reaction: —

Actions & Resources

Actions:

Baculite Shell (Shillelagh). Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target.
Hit: 1d8+3 bludgeoning damage.

Thorn Whip. Melee Spell Attack: +5 to hit, range 30 ft., one target.
Hit: 1d6 piercing damage.

Heavy Crossbow (heavy, loading, two-handed). Ranged Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, range 100/400 ft., one target.
Hit: 1d10+2 piercing damage.

Dagger (finesse, light, thrown). Melee or Ranged Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, reach 5 ft. or range 20/60 ft., one target.
Hit: 1d4+2 piercing damage.

Baculite Shell (Quarterstaff) (versatile). Melee Weapon Attack: +3 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target.
Hit: 1d6+1 bludgeoning damage.
Versatile damage: 1d8+1 bludgeoning damage.

Net (thrown, special). Ranged Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, range 5/15 ft., one target.
Hit: A Large or smaller creature hit by a net is restrained until it is freed. A net has no effect on creatures that are formless, or creatures that are Huge or larger. A creature can use its action to make a DC 10 Strength check, freeing itself or another creature within its reach on a success. Dealing 5 slashing damage to the net (AC 10) also frees the creature without harming it, ending the effect and destroying the net.

Other:

Favored Foe. When you hit a creature with an attack roll, you can call on your mystical bond with nature to mark the target as your favored enemy for 1 minute or until you lose your concentration (as if you were concentrating on a spell).

The first time on each of your turns that you hit the favored enemy and deal damage to it, including when you mark it, you can increase that damage by 1d4.

You can use this feature to mark a favored enemy a number of times equal to your proficiency bonus, and you regain all expended uses when you finish a long rest.

This feature’s extra damage increases when you reach certain levels in this class: to 1d6 at 6th level and to 1d8 at 14th level.

Friend of the Sea. You can communicate simple ideas to any Beast with a swimming speed. It can understand your words but you cannot understand it in return.

Ammunition:

18/20 Crossbow Bolts

Class Features:

• 1/2 Favored Foe Marks
Edited by PhoenixSlayer (see edit history)

Level 2 Half-Elf Sage College of Lore Bard

AC: 13 (Leather Armor) | HP: 17/17 | Speed: 30 ft.
Athletics: 0

8 (-1) | Dex:Initiative: +3
Slight-of-Hand: +3
Religion: +3
Survival: +1
16 (+3)

Spell-casting: +5 or DC 131st 3/3 | Bardic Inspiration: 0/3

Slipping the money, letter, food and water from the knights into her backpack, Mery turns to peer up at Decimus, taking in his funny hat and the pink-over-white robes and immediately becomes curious about why he dresses that way, but she decides to hold that question for now.  She's not sure what to make of Hunni's hodgepodge outfit, but assumes the Gully Dwarf has her reasons.  It's something to ask about later, if she, too, is heading to Ispin's funeral.

"Yes, Ispin was a friend of mine, Decimus.  I also am on the way to Vogler for his funeral.  I am Mery Keryndon."  She holds out her hand to shake hands with him, then does the same toward Hunni.

When Merituuli compliments her final shot of the pine-green monster, she grins back in his direction and calls, "Thanks.  It was a lucky shot.  You're not half bad, either, with that crossbow of yours."  His exotic appearance also pulls on her curiosity, but she decides to hold those questions as well.  Besides, at this distance, it would be a yelling conversation.

She glances first at Decimus and Hunni, then back toward the other four, trying to really take in all of their faces, but the distance between the two groups is making it a little difficult.  Raising her fingers to her mouth to let out a shrill whistle, she waits until she has everyone's attention, then calls,"Can we all come down here by the dead knights, please?  And would those of you who have not already done so please state your names?  Or at least, whatever you would like to be called by?"  She decides not to repeat her own name until she can do so without yelling.

OOC

Action:  

Movement: 

Reaction:

Actions & Resources

Actions:

Bonus Actions:

Healing Word

Ammunition:

Spellcasting:

• 1st level (3/3 slots): healing word, hideous laughter, unseen servant

Class Features:

• 0/3 Bardic Inspiration0

OOC

When Mery killed the pine-green monster, she was 85 feet away from it, then she walked all the way down to where Hunni and Decimus are to examine the knights' bodies, so I'm assuming those two are near her while the other four are still several (~50+?) feet away, which to me seems like the two groups wouldn't be able to hear one another except by yelling.  So I'm trying to get everyone all together so we can actually hear each other.

:

:

:

:

:
10 (+0)

Coltan smiles and examines the elven shell.  "Wow.  The Worldsmith's crafting is beautiful." 

"Yes, Ispin was an extraordinary man."  He replies to Merituuli.  Although the statement was simple, it was full of depth and respect.

The dwarf heads toward the knights with the others.  While the half-elf calls them to introduce themselves as if she was leading a class, he begins to reverently remove the knight's armor from their bodies.  "I'm Coltan Bluetemper.  How about you?"

After the introductions, he suggests, "Let's prepare the bodies for burial.  We can bring their armor and gear to Becklin.  Anyone have a shovel to start digging?"

OOC

Action: Burying the knights, packing up the armor for travel

Bonus Action:

Movement:

Reaction:

Use Object:

Actions and Resources

Actions

Cantrips

image.png.f43e797dc98446c97baef5b972307405.pngArtanis Brightblade

Level 1 Human Knight of Solamnia

AC: 18 (Chainmail, Shield) | HP: 9/9 (5 THP) | Speed: 30 ft.
Senses: passive Perception 11, Insight 13, Investigation 9
StrSave: +3

Carrying Capacity: 255 lb.
Lift/Push/Drag: 510 lb.
:
17 (+3) | DexInitiative: +2★
★ Add Cha to Initiative (class feature)
☆ disadvantage on Dexterity (Stealth) checks from Chainmail Armor.
:
 8 (–1) | ConSave: +1: 13 (+1) | IntSave: -1
Arcana: -1
History: -1
Nature: -1
:
Animal Handling: +3
:
Deception: +3
:
16 (+3)

Languages: You can speak, read, and write Common and Solamnic

DR3 vs nonmagical bludgeoning, slashing, piercing

My words,  | My thoughts,  | My actions . . .

Artanis follows Coltan over to the fallen knights, recognising the heraldry of his order. He suddenly realises just how close the battle had been, despite his party having escaped without a scratch. Here lay three fully fledged knights, not just newly ordained like himself, and who knew how experienced his companions were. It was quickly becoming apparent they had all known Ispin, and had been drawn together for the sad event of his funeral. It was also quickly becoming apparent that Ispin did not make ordinary friends. Or perhaps they didn't have the means to travel.

He is dusty from travel, dressed in roadworthy mail over leather. Much like Coltan's, it's serviceable, but clearly well kept and without finery. From his waist hangs a longsword, its decorative pommel not inkeeping with the practical appearance of his other gear. He brushes a wisp of long chestnut hair from his face as he replies to the newly formed group. "Artanis Brightblade. I do believe we are all headed to Vogler for the same reason, and with incidents like this on the road, it seems sensible we stick together.

"I'm afraid I don't have a shovel on me - we could perhaps put together a cairn, or" - he glances towards the axe at Coltan's belt, "a pyre perhaps? I'm happy to lend a hand with either." He finishes, slipping his leather vambraces free to reveal well muscled and tanned forearms above callused hands.

OOC

Action: —

Free: 

Bonus Action: 

Movement: 

Reaction: 

Object Interaction: 

Actions & Resources

Actions:

Longsword (versatile). Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 7 (1d8 + 3) slashing damage. Versatile damage: 8 (1d10 + 3) slashing damage.

Javelin (range, thrown) [3]. Thrown Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, ranged 30/120 ft., one target. Hit: 6 (1d6 + 3) piercing damage.

Battlefield Presence. When you take the Attack action, in place of making an attack, you can use your Battlefield Presence to grant a friendly creature that can see or hear you an additional attack the next time they take the Attack action during their turn. Any additional attacks granted that are unused at the start of your next turn are lost. A friendly creature can only gain one additional attack from this feature per round from this feature.

Bonus Actions:

—

Class Features:

Precise Strike. 1/2

Lead the Charge. When you roll initiative you gain temporary hit points equal to your Charisma modifier + your proficiency bonus (5 THP).

Edited by PureChance (see edit history)
Name
History
keep(2d20,highest)-1 1,18