Any interest in STAR FRONTIERS?

cailano

On 4/3/2023 at 5:34 PM, JagrHunter said:

Unfortunately it wasn't "fake".   It was developed by the NuTSR.   Star Frontiers: New Genesis was ridiculous.  Star Frontiersman appears to meet more of the intent o the original.

Frontierspace is also pretty awesome use of the rules and such.  

Knight Hawks is interesting. One of the few SF RPG's to give rules for building player ships and then just flat out state that they didn't bother following the rules for military ships because of course military stuff is better than what they'll let civilians have. Not really sure how well the tactical boardgame integrates with the RPG, that tends to be the trickiest part of starship combat to do well.

Tentative interest but it'll depend at least in part on my bandwidth when the game really starts rolling: just got slammed at work for the next few weeks so it might not be the best time to commit to a game . . .

That said, one note to maybe keep in mind with the Knight Hawks supplement is that, while it's been awhile, my reading is it kinda takes the place of the Expert rules in Basic/BECMI D&D?  Like, it expands the game but in a way that is intended for experienced characters, with it being the sci fi equivalent of going from dungeon exploration to wilderness hex crawling.  The prerequisites for most of the Knight Hawks starship skills I think underscores that point as  even to just be starship crew you need to have multiple skills at like, 3+ ranks or better if I remember correctly.  Knight Hawks seems like it's for when your PCs have earned enough money to get their own ship the hard way at which point they'll already be seasoned starfarers.

Also, @Niven81: woot! Frontierspace!  I've not seen that game mentioned in the wild since I bought it, glad to see someone else thought it was a nifty as I did!

Edited by Cirlot (see edit history)

19 hours ago, Cirlot said:

Tentative interest but it'll depend at least in part on my bandwidth when the game really starts rolling: just got slammed at work for the next few weeks so it might not be the best time to commit to a game . . .

That said, one note to maybe keep in mind with the Knight Hawks supplement is that, while it's been awhile, my reading is it kinda takes the place of the Expert rules in Basic/BECMI D&D?  Like, it expands the game but in a way that is intended for experienced characters, with it being the sci fi equivalent of going from dungeon exploration to wilderness hex crawling.  The prerequisites for most of the Knight Hawks starship skills I think underscores that point as  even to just be starship crew you need to have multiple skills at like, 3+ ranks or better if I remember correctly.  Knight Hawks seems like it's for when your PCs have earned enough money to get their own ship the hard way at which point they'll already be seasoned starfarers.

Also, @Niven81: woot! Frontierspace!  I've not seen that game mentioned in the wild since I bought it, glad to see someone else thought it was a nifty as I did!

We could just start with the core rules and build toward Knight Hawks. Keep it simple at first and if the game takes off we can add the more complex stuff...?

There's a free site that walks you through character creation. Still, the $9.99 download at Drivethrurpg is a great deal.

Link to character gen: https://www.starfrontiers.us/node/2439

Link to the download at Drivethru rpg: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/226710/Star-Frontiers-Alpha-Dawn

The site above that walks you through character creation says that you should have a character sheet to keep things straight:

https://polyhedralnonsense.files.wordpress.com/2020/08/starfrontiers_charsheet_tent.pdf

Edited by RedMax (see edit history)

Or...

I found this huge list of randomly generated characters. Find one to your liking, rename, and Bob's your uncle.

Link: https://starfrontiers.us/character

(Here's a sample:

https://starfrontiers.us/node/3226

Billow
yazirian_biosocial.jpg

Basic Information

Race:
 Yazirian
Handedness:
 Right
Height:
Weight:

Ability Scores

STR/STA:
 45/45
DEX/RS:
 55/55
INT/LOG:
 60/60
PER/LDR:
 45/45
Initiative Modifier:
 +6
Punching Score:
 +3
Ranged Weapons:
 28%
Melee Weapons:
 27%

Movement

Walking: 10 m/turn
Running: 30 m/turn
Hourly: 4 kph

Racial Abilities

Battle Rage:25%.
Night Vision: But -15 to all actions in full light.
Gliding: Can glide 1m forward for each 1m dropped.

Skills

Primary Skill Area:
 Biosocial
Beam Weapons:
 Level 1
Environmental:
 Level 2
Medical:
 Level 1
Psycho-social:
 Level 1

Background

Billow is currently working as a PGC security guard on the Pan-Galactic, the largest space liner in the Frontier.

Equipment

Equipment:
  • Chronocom
  • sunglasses (I wear them at night)
  • laser pistol (20seu clip)
  • 3 spare powerclips
  • 1 power beltpack
  • Albedo screen
  • Civilian Skiensuit
Edited by RedMax (see edit history)

Thank you, @RedMax, for the info. I will be receiving my STAR FRONTIERS boxed set from eBay today. As soon as @cailano gets things set up , I will create a character for this game. I am curious as to how character generation will be done here in BALDR. I guess we'll see.

I’m sorry if I got too enthusiastic. Your suggestion, @cailano, for buying a digital version made sense, but I’m old-school enough to want the actual hardcopy set. Please don’t worry. That was my choice to make. And don’t worry about finding time to get things sorted out. I can use the time to familiarize myself with the system. Hopefully I can come up with an interesting character in the interim.

5 hours ago, cailano said:

Yikes, @artsmythe, I hope you didn't get that boxed set just for this game. Work has gotten pretty intense since I originally posted this interest check, and I don't know if I'm actually going to be able to get the game going right now. I have to see how things play out.

Yo cailano,

I wouldn't mind running a short game or two, just to give people a feel for the game. Would you mind if I did that?

We would still be building towards your game. This way we'd have a few people used to the system to help things along...?

You kind of gave me the bug, cailano. Your fault! LOL