Any interest in STAR FRONTIERS?

cailano

StarFrontiers-AlphaDawnBlueBox1.jpg.8773d4b55098bc20bc4ad9e03afda56e.jpgHello, Weavers! I recently picked up a Star Frontiers boxed set on eBay. I had one as a kid, but I've never played the game. Time to change that!

I think it would be fun to run a short campaign here on Myth Weavers but I wanted to do an interest check first.

For those who don't know, Star Frontiers is a rules-lite, pulp sci-fi adventure game. Players create characters that are either humans or aliens from one of several distinct species. The rules are meant to support action-and-exploration-filled adventures like those found in Star Trek, Star Wars, and the original Battlestar Galactica. I'll probably throw in influences from Firefly and Ratchet and Clank just for fun.

Hunt interstellar criminals! Stop the machinations of rogue scientists! Save colonists from space pirates! Explore the ruins of alien outposts! Fight lasergun battles against agents of the evil Sathar!

Space adventure with an exclamation mark after it, people. That's what's on the table.

One downside I can see is that this is an old system. There's no SRD and no freely available copies of the rules. They're available for purchase from DriveThru RPG for $9.99 for a PDF, so they won't break the bank, but there you have it. On the other hand, the rules for the Basic Game are about the length of a comic book, so they won't overload your brain (the PDF contains both the Basic and Expanded game). And, of course, players are free to try and learn the game as they go.

So, what do you think? Does the idea of a Star Frontiers campaign make you want to grab your Chronocom and alert your friends, or does it leave you so nonplussed that you need a hit of Stimdose just to stay awake? Would you pay 500 Credits just to guarantee yourself a slot, or would you rather spend an evening at a Dralasite comedy club?

Let's hear it.

Many years ago, I joined an in-person SF campaign that was GMed by a former student of mine who was heavy into TTRPG. We played the game for a short while until he got bored with it and started something else. It was an interesting experience, and one I wouldn't mind repeating again.

A few years ago, I ran a Star Trek campaign using the d20 FUTURE rules and allowing players to use the races from STAR FRONTIERS instead of the traditional ST ones. It was fun, too.

Edited by artsmythe (see edit history)

19 hours ago, TiffanyKorta said:

Just the original book and none of the additions, like the weird brief flirtation with FASERIP?

You mean TSR? They did a lot more than just the basic sets for both systems. It’s funny, both Star Frontiers and MSH incorporated elements that D&D wouldn’t get for years, like skill systems and core mechanics. 

I got a message about a "new" version of Star Frontiers that was published recently, and which immediately triggered a law suit from WotC.

That fake version of Star Frontiers contained a bunch of pretty disgusting racist content, from the snippets I'd read.

I hope it goes without saying, but I am absolutely NOT running that "version" of the game, which isn't even a version but a copyright infringement.

Just to be clear.

Anyway. Glad to see so many of you interested in this game. I'm still going through the rules and working out a couple of new subsystems that will facilitate PbP.

19 hours ago, cailano said:

I got a message about a "new" version of Star Frontiers that was published recently, and which immediately triggered a law suit from WotC.

That fake version of Star Frontiers contained a bunch of pretty disgusting racist content, from the snippets I'd read.

I hope it goes without saying, but I am absolutely NOT running that "version" of the game, which isn't even a version but a copyright infringement.

Just to be clear.

Anyway. Glad to see so many of you interested in this game. I'm still going through the rules and working out a couple of new subsystems that will facilitate PbP.

Unfortunately it wasn't "fake".   It was developed by the NuTSR.   Star Frontiers: New Genesis was ridiculous.  Star Frontiersman appears to meet more of the intent o the original.