Act 2, Part 1: Trouble at Oleg's

Kavonde

y0rRwhX.png

Thomas of Nowhere | checked-shield.svgAC: 18 | health-normal.svg HP: 30/30 | awareness.svg Per: +5 | Fort: +7 | Ref: +8 | Will: +7 | FP: 2

Æthelflæd | checked-shield.svgAC: 19 | awareness.svg Per: +4 | Fort: +7 | Ref: +8 | Will: +6

Æthelflæd's pinched, polite expression becomes almost friendly--genuinely respectful, at least--when they're approahed by the Judge. "Dearly would I love to vist the lady's court. Alas! We are neither guests nor welcome. From what he said, she seems more the type to toy with you like a cat than hold court. Many of her kind are so."
They do not sound particularly disturbed by the prospect--more at the theoretical loss of a potential court than anything.
"I would advise the usual: stay out of mushroom circles. If you come across a beautiful garden in the middle of untended wilderness, do not pluck its flowers. Be a particularly good host to any strangers that visit the campfire..."

Thomas returns from scouting no less worn-out, and throws themselves onto a bedrool with no less zeal than Antonia. He's still maudlin when he awakens, but he seems at least a little more ready to face danger.
"Nae as many as I'd feared. Might be we'll live through this yet, like." He shrugs one shoulder at the new and improved plan, and snorts. "A lamb! On th'lam, mair like! But our audience is none too discernin', suren' they're not. Put some flash on ye, too--wee bit o' sparkle, gold or silver. They'll chase ye sure, like."

Fire, he opines, is ever ready as a fallback.

OOC/mechanics

Antonia.png.446fd0f700762d828f60adffd3e4865b.pngAntonia Rullianus

Swashbuckler Fencer 2

checked-shield.svgAC: 19 | health-normal.svgHP: 30/30 | awareness.svgPer: +5 | Fort: +5 | Ref: +9 | Will: +6 | Hero: 2/3 | Languages: Common, Dwarven, Elven

Panache: ✖️ | Conditions: None

When Sija begins digging around in her shirt, Antonia's eyebrows rise to their full height in surprise. But as the blade is presented her expression falls back into the wry grin she usually wears. "My oh my! Aren't you a clever little fox? I'd have never thought of hiding a blade betwixt my unmentionables." She chuckles, which is a show in and of itself. Her hands go to her hips and her chest rises and falls with each 'ha'. "I love it! I accept this gift -- I'm assuming it is a gift, as I do not plan to return it." She winks at Sija, perhaps indicating a joke. But could anyone really be sure?

She gasps in exaggerated horror at Thomas's suggestion. "Thomas! Are you implying that I am some sort of fugitive? I assure you, the Rullianus name -- while not quite a noble one, yet -- is honorable and honest. Not a one amongst the Rullianus family line has ever even been accused of a misdemeanor, even." She speaks proudly, but immediately after finishing her statement, her confidence seems to falter. "Well, except for my Great, Great Uncle Bruno." She shakes her head in disappointment, but quickly dismisses the comment with a wave of her hand. "But we do not talk about him. Anyways. I do have a bit of flashy jewelry, although it hurts my pride to say that they are not worth very much to the trained eye. But as you have said, our enemies are not the discerning sort." She makes a show of hiding the blade and sheath away into her fairly-modest cleavage. "So then, when do we plan to enact this little ruse? I can get started right away on my costume. I just need an hour, or so."

Mechanics

image.png.4c4b77ae102cad34c4f41a5c079e932f.pngLerris Ninthborne

health-normal.svgHP: 32/32 |checked-shield.svg AC: 19 | awareness.svg Per: + 5 | Fort: +8 | Ref: +4 | Will: +8 | Hero: 1 | Languages: Common (Taldane), Hallit, Skald

"No fires." Lerris said sternly as he stumbled out of his tent. He rubbed sleep from his eyes with one hand and popped a his neck to the side with the other. So soon it was after his waking that Lerris still wore no clothes other than the pants he had slept in. "Unless you spend enough time beforehand and have clear understanding of the area. It never goes well. Too unpredictable." The grimace of Lerris face showed he was speaking from experience. Finally his eyes settled on Sija, however.

"I feel like this is an awful lot to get to a solution that can could be had in a simpler way, but if its what we're doing then I'll commit." Lerris said, running another hand through his hair and letting out a sigh. If you were to ask him it was a bit too early in the morning for scheming, but other than night that was the best time to do it.

"So what part am I playing again? Big scary man chasing the helpless lady?" An old reliable. There was a time when Lerris could play other parts, like the handsome young boy who had a leg trapped underneath a fallen tree. Such a time was long past now. He didn't frown at the thought however, rather smiled in instead as he remembered a word for this. "Suppose I got the countenance for it after all."

"Who's going to be boxing them in? Best for the job would probably Thomas and you. Maybe Shardik as well, nothing like getting a man to run forward than a bear behind him. That would be my suggestion at least." Lerris lumbered over to the cart, grabbing his pack off it, and pulling a waterskin free. He took a drink, letting out a satisfied gasp for air once he finished.

y0rRwhX.png

Thomas of Nowhere | checked-shield.svgAC: 18 | health-normal.svg HP: 30/30 | awareness.svg Per: +5 | Fort: +7 | Ref: +8 | Will: +7 | FP: 2

Æthelflæd | checked-shield.svgAC: 19 | awareness.svg Per: +4 | Fort: +7 | Ref: +8 | Will: +6

Neither weariness nor melancholy could ever keep Thomas from seizing such an opportunity. "Mony a man's rushed intae danger on account o' a bare behind," he agrees amiably.
"'Twill 'ave tae be ye, Lerris. They'd nivver buy it were she fleein' me. Try an' make a right racket. Yell 'bout her jewels, like, an' how she'd better hand'em over--but I'll nae tell ye yuir former business."

He gives Antonia a sage nod, laying a finger along his nose.
"Och, aye, lass. Guid honorable sorts o'fine lineage, each an' every one o'us. Why we're out here, riskin' limb an' bahookie fer th' promise o'thankless work tae come."

OOC/mechanics

spacer.pngVerne Greencloak| HP: 24/24 | AC: 19 | Fort: +5  Ref: +6  Will: +10  Perception: +8 | Hero Points: 2/3 | Spell SlotsDruid 1: 2/2

Shardik | HP: 26/26 | AC: 19 | Fort: +6  Ref: +6  Will: +5  Perception: +5spacer.png

Verne looks at Antonia questioningly, remembering her initial wariness around Shardik.

Verne says, "It's easy to get Shardik to chase you, if that's what you want. Just put a moon radish in your pocket. If you fall he'll wrassle you, we play that game sometimes. Honestly it would be obvious to anyone who knows about animals that he's playing with you, but hopefully they're stupid. I'm a little worried about him getting shot at, though. Is it necessary? I'd prefer not to give them an easy and attractive target that's my best friend. Oh, and this is just for us to get close without getting shot, right? We're not doing another one of those elaborate ploys to get them to surrender, are we?"

uc?export=download&id=1dRpitT3CcasYF2DNUtVf9NtjWbs0fRXE

Sija Bhatyani - Half-Elf Ranger 2

HP: 32/32 | AC: 19 | Speed: 25ft | Hero: 1/3 | Focus: 1/1

Perception: +8 | Fort: +8 | Ref: +7 | Will: +6 

Conditions-None| ResourcesInfused Items:
-2x Lesser Antidote
-2x Minor Elixir of Life

Consumables:
-1 PC affixed to dandpatta

Talismans:
-

Items:
-
| AbilitiesFocus Spells:
-Gravity Weapon

Abilities
-Darkvision
-Flurry
-Monster Hunter

Actions:
-Hunt Prey
-Twin Takedown
-Battle Medicine
| Skills*Acrobatics: +5
*Arcana: +5
*Athletics: +8
Crafting: +1
Deception: +0
Diplomacy: +0
*Herbalism Lore: +5
Intimidate: +0
*Medicine: +6
**Nature: +8
*Occultism: +5
Performance: +0
*Religion: +6
Society: +1
*Stealth: +5
*Survival: +6
Thievery: +1

*Trained | **Expert | ***Master

"Yes, it's a gift, but hopefully a useless gift. In some ways those are the best kind." She pulls her somewhat broader blade from her belt along with a whetstone and sits with the others, drawing the blade along the stone, then wiping it with a rag dampened from her waterskin. The rasping sound adds a fitting backdrop to their planning. She chuckles at Thmoas's joke, "Oh agreed, about men chasing a bare behind, but I think we have the bear sit in the woods. One beast might scare these bandits more than one man. They know their way around men, have killed them before."

To Verne she replies, "From the sound of it, these ruffians aren't the talking type. And I'm not sure I'd trust what comes out of their mouths. Mostly horseshit, I expect. I won't be putting on the kettle and putting out a blanket for them. If they yield we can honor that, but otherwise... we'd just throw away our advantage and make more trouble for ourselves." She continues sharpening her knife with a *shink* *shink* *shink*...

OOC/Actions

Other: Offer Corset Knife

Action 1: 

Action 2: 

Action 3: 

Reaction: None, yet

Free: 

Exploration Activity: 

Feats

-Elf Atavism (Darkvision)

-Monster Hunter

-Battle Medicine

-Natural Medicine

-Herbalist Dedication

--Advanced Alchemy

--Alchemical Crafting

-Twin Takedown

-Gravity Weapon

Appearance

Sija looks like a typical Vudran woman, often dressing in the more traditional fabric wrap of her homeland and often a headscarf or shawl. She often wears some form of ornamentation or jewelry on hands, ears, neck, and brow. She is older than most, though as a half-elf she wears her six decades with dignity and grace, with few signs of the decrepitude often seen in similarly aged humans. She is tall, and stands with a straight back and good posture. Her arm is strong and well-corded with sinew and muscle, perhaps appearing a touch wiry, and her skin a bit weathered from years outside. Her hair was once a glossy black, though now it is streaked with gray; more with each passing day.

She can often be found with a cudgel, a wicked-looking curved dagger, and a whip hanging from her belt. She wears these, and warm outer clothes or a cloak to protect her from the elements, when she travels. When expecting trouble she throws a bandolier on that's filled with flasks of healing ointments and poultices.

Gear

Worn

-Clothing (Winter)

-Breastplate

-Backpack

-Belt Pouch

-Healer's tools

-Bandolier

Weapons

-Club

-Corset Knife

-2x Dandpatta (PC)

-Flyssa

-5x Darts

-Whip

Containers

Backpack

-Bedroll

-Climbing Kit

-Rations (2 weeks)

-5x Sacks

-5x Torches

-Waterskin

Bandoliers

-4x Flasks Oil

Belt/Pouch

-10x Chalk

-Crowbar

-Flint and Steel

-Soap

-2x Candles

-2gp 4sp 6cp

Antonia.png.446fd0f700762d828f60adffd3e4865b.pngAntonia Rullianus

Swashbuckler Fencer 2

checked-shield.svgAC: 19 | health-normal.svgHP: 30/30 | awareness.svgPer: +5 | Fort: +5 | Ref: +9 | Will: +6 | Hero: 2/3 | Languages: Common, Dwarven, Elven

Sija's response confirming that the knife id a gift causes Antonia to regard the woman with a surprised curiosity. She considers (if only for a moment) refusing the gift. She does not know these people all that well. Sija, even less. Sure, it is a simple corset knife, but gifts are never simple in this Fencer's world. Every offer comes at a price, even if it isn't always monetary. The way Antonia's eyes search the woman makes it clear she is not understanding why such an offer has been made, but she hides her suspicion well enough, allowing the look to appear more pleasant than it may actually be. "Well, I was joking, darling. But if you insist, I will find a way to repay you in kind. My family -- you see, they are traditionalists and under a strict code of honor. They do not like accepting gifts without restitution. I'm afraid their morals -- or stupidity, considering how you look at it -- has rubbed off on me." She smiles proudly, puffing her chest outwards and holding a gloved hand clenched near her heart, as if she is posing for some portrait.

Finally, she lets the pose drop and moves to her tent to retrieve a mid-sized pack that clinks noisily, as if filled with various glass items. As she roots around in the bag, she responds to her allies, "Verne makes a fine point. Let us avoid including the wild animal slash best-friend-to-Verne until it is absolutely necessary. The last thing I need is for that bear to suddenly recognize what a tasty morsel I might make." She looks over her shoulder towards Verne. "No offense, dear. I'm sure you've tamed him quite well, but it is still a bear." She shudders and turns back to her pack, seemingly finding the various items she's been looking for. She lines up a series of vials, each filled with a viscous liquid in a different color. Next to the vials, she has placed a cloth-wrapped mirror and a short, wide, wooden box. When she opens the box to check that the contents have not jostled on the trip over, one could see a palette with smoothed depressions, organized into rows. Each depression held a different colored powder. Clearly, she was preparing her makeup kit for her grand transformation.

"Right then, everything is here and in good condition. That's something to be thankful for, considering the long trip over and the amount of humidity in the air here." Antonia seems to be mostly talking to herself. Finally, she stands and makes her way over to the others, standing near the group with a straight posture and her hands on her hips. "Well. I suppose I should say farewell, for now. Once I emerge from my summer home over there," she juts a thumb back towards her tent, "I will be Antonia Rullianus no longer. I will say this: normally I have time to study my role a bit longer, but I shall work with what I have." The Fencer turns to head back towards her tent, but stops near Lerris to pat him gentle on his wide, bare chest. "Now now, don't take it personally dear. Scars like yours come with a certain prejudice that make you perfect for the role. Just remember, it is still me underneath all the makeup. Do try and play nice. We do not want you getting carried away, now do we?" She winks at him suggestively and disappears into her tent with her various vials and accoutrements.

An hour and a half later, the person that steps out of Antonia's tent is almost a completely different person. The artificial contouring around her cheeks, jawline, and eyes has made her near unrecognizable. Her eyes appear sunken due to the dark blueish-black shading around them; her cheekbones appear higher, thanks to the tanned powder brushed across her more plump cheeks; the narrow bridge of her nose is dotted with dark freckles that spread across the tops of her cheeks. With the addition of a beige oil (or perhaps it is powdered as well), her hair even seems to be a lighter shade, transforming from its usual obsidian to a burnt brown color. Her usual billowing, white blouse has been un-tucked, its edge hangs loose just past the hump of her hind quarters. She has traded her dark linen pants for ones that are brighter in color and she has rolled them up as far as they will go, just above her knees. From a distance, one might get the impression that she is wearing a very short dress. The expression on her face is harrowed, as if she is fearful of everyone and everything. She holds her hands closed to her chest, as if she is ready to shy away at the slightest attempt at a touch. "H-Hello." She says in a mousey voice with her eyes cast downwards, unable to meet the gaze of these confident heroes. After all, she shouldn't be in a place like this. How did she ever get here? What was she thinking?Claire.jpg.1be3d3a62a137cee9c00a342ea1c5e75.jpg

"Y'all must be the heroes who saved Lady Aldori. I-I know I am just a peasant girl, but y'all'd be surprised how fast word travels when you live on the Thorn River. 'specially livin' in such a small village like mine. I wanted to say 'Thank ya' for lettin' me sleep in y'all's camp." The fearful woman looks around uneasily and catches the eye of the Judge. His intimidating presence causes her to cease the attempt to look at the rest of them. In particular, she seems to be avoiding Lerris more than the others. "S-Sorry if I intruded on y'all's conversatin'. I-I-I should probably be headin' back home. Mama is gonna' be worried sick. Oh, why in Old Deadeye's name did I ever think travelin' this far from home would do me any good. Now look at me. Lost, surrounded by armed strangers -- and with mama's jewels, too. I-I thought they might buy my way 'cross the border -- towards Brevoy. I am such a fool. I jus' can't stand livin' in this awful place no more." The woman shudders and bites her bottom lip. Suddenly, she seems to recall something. "Oh! Ain't I jus' the rudest old hag y'all ever done met. I never gave my name. I'm Claire, of River Reed Village." Claire gives an awkward curtsy, raising the edges of her blouse as if it were actually a dress. Her eyes are still downcast in the opposite direction of where Lerris stood. It is almost as if she cannot bare to recognize that he exists and is currently here.

Mechanics

Given the time needed for the returning scouting party to rest and recuperate, and for Antonia to don her disguise, the group doesn't set out until well into the afternoon. Fortunately, finding their way to the bandits' camp is much easier in the light of day, and most of the major obstacles between them and their destination were already discovered (or stumbled into, or tripped over) the night before. The sun is just beginning to touch the horizon when the group gathers at a vantage point on a hill near the camp, some five hundred yards northeast of it, from which they can see down into the bandit lair without themselves being spotted.

Currently, only one of the lookout platforms is occupied. A single large campfire burns brightly, and it looks like the rest of the bandits are gathered around it. From here, the party can clearly count seven total adversaries. Six of them appear to be human men in ragged, dirty, and mismatched clothing. As before, three bear bows, while the others bear greatclubs. Standing out sharply from her companions is a tall, lean human woman with dark hair wrapped beneath a yellow headscarf. She wears a shawl of the same material over leather armor, and bears a pair of wicked-looking hand axes at her hips. She seems to be in the middle of telling a humorous story, and as she reaches the punchline, her companions rock back in boisterous laughter that carries all the way to where the group hides.

From here, the group can spot a few promising spots for their planned ambush:

1. Not too far to the southwest, a several large boulders line the base of the hill you're on. This location would be easy for the group to sneak to without being noticed, but the distance from the bandit camp might discourage some of the lazier bandits from giving chase to Antonia and Lerris; plus, it would make their roles as "terrified peasant farmgirl" and "predatory creep bandit" harder, as they'd have to keep up a convincing performance for longer.
  2. Roughly halfway between the hill and the bandit camp is a clearing ringed by thick ferns, perfect for hiding in. This could be an excellent ambush spot, being not too far from the camp and potentially letting the party surround their prey. However, the closer the party has to get to the camp, the harder it will be for them to remain unnoticed by the bandit on the watchtower.
  3. Finally, only a short distance from the camp is a ring of old, mossy stones and a few berry bushes; one might think this was once some ancient backyard garden, ringed by stone benches long since worn away to indistinct shapes. This could potentially be a very effective ambush site, with plenty of cover from the enemy archers, and so close to the camp that Antonia and Lerris would only need to keep up their performances for a minute or so. However, it would also be by far the most difficult site for the party to reach without raising an alarm.

There's also the question of whether the group wishes to enact their plan now, while there's still daylight, or wait for night to fall first.

It appears that it is time for further discussion.

-2x Lesser Antidote
-2x Minor Elixir of Life

Consumables:

Talismans:
-

Items:
-
| AbilitiesFocus Spells:
-Gravity Weapon

Abilities
-Darkvision
-Flurry
-Monster Hunter

Actions:
-Hunt Prey
-Twin Takedown
-Battle Medicine

"Even if we only draw a few out, it's still better than facing them all at once..." Sija muses, "But the high ferns would be good for an ambush." She pauses, "But not everyone can more quietly in the woods, and I'd hate to blow it with nothing to show for it." She looks around. "Anyone else?"

OOC/Actions

Other: Offer Corset Knife

Action 1: 

Action 2: 

Action 3: 

Free: 

Exploration Activity: 

Feats

-Monster Hunter

-Battle Medicine

-Natural Medicine

-Herbalist Dedication

--Advanced Alchemy

--Alchemical Crafting

-Twin Takedown

-Gravity Weapon

Appearance

Sija looks like a typical Vudran woman, often dressing in the more traditional fabric wrap of her homeland and often a headscarf or shawl. She often wears some form of ornamentation or jewelry on hands, ears, neck, and brow. She is older than most, though as a half-elf she wears her six decades with dignity and grace, with few signs of the decrepitude often seen in similarly aged humans. She is tall, and stands with a straight back and good posture. Her arm is strong and well-corded with sinew and muscle, perhaps appearing a touch wiry, and her skin a bit weathered from years outside. Her hair was once a glossy black, though now it is streaked with gray; more with each passing day.

She can often be found with a cudgel, a wicked-looking curved dagger, and a whip hanging from her belt. She wears these, and warm outer clothes or a cloak to protect her from the elements, when she travels. When expecting trouble she throws a bandolier on that's filled with flasks of healing ointments and poultices.

Gear

Worn

-Clothing (Winter)

-Breastplate

-Backpack

-Belt Pouch

-Healer's tools

-Bandolier

Weapons

-Club

-Corset Knife

-2x Dandpatta (PC)

-Flyssa

-5x Darts

-Whip

Containers

Backpack

-Bedroll

-Climbing Kit

-Rations (2 weeks)

-5x Sacks

-5x Torches

-Waterskin

Bandoliers

-4x Flasks Oil

Belt/Pouch

-10x Chalk

-Crowbar

-Flint and Steel

-Soap

-2x Candles

-2gp 4sp 6cp

y0rRwhX.png

Thomas chuckles approvingly, rubbing his hands together at Antonia's transformation. "Right! Let's get yuir dowry together, like. Whit Lerris is chasin' ye for."
He does his part, handing over bits of shiny metal, though few are worth much up close.

"Splittin' th'group in twain's but a boon tae splittin' them in twain in truth, an' cuver's a boon tae boot. Some o'us ne'er-do-wells can skulk all sleekit, bit I dinnae reckon His Judgeness's much suited tae creepin' along; nay, nor sweet Shardik, neither. I say take th'boulders, an' I'll call up a seemin' tae cuver us if we need tae rush in."

He shrugs, then considers the best alternative.
"If'n ye like th' wee garden best, we'll need tae get in a couple at a time, like. Take all night tae do it right. Make a racket elsewhere tae get th'Judge in."

OOC/mechanics

Claire-removebg-preview.png.8a3043c0dbddd32bfc9c92cdbbaf89d2.pngClaire of River Reed

Swashbuckler Fencer 2

Claire accepts the shiny bits from Thomas with some bit of confusion. "Oh um...thank ya'. This is fer me? You gotta' funny way o' talkin', but yer real nice." She seems genuinely elated at the idea of receiving gifts that sparkle and shine, no matter their actual value. "Wow, I ain't never had shiny stones like these. They mus' be worth a fortune." She holds the fake jewels across her neck and the 'peasant girl's' eyes glimmer with a similar shine. She elects to keep the jewels clasped firmly in her hand during their entire journey to...wherever they are going. She imagines it must be a small stop to make along the road back to her home, where these people certainly must be bringing her. What else would they do with some poor peasant girl who showed up at their camp?

She keeps mostly quiet during the walk, only adding in small comments about how her 'mama' once had jewels like the ones Thomas gave her, except some filthy bandits took them from her and even then only barely spared her life after what Clare calls "lots'a beggin'". Upon their arrival at the overlook of the camp, Claire is the last to join the others in peering down at the camp. "Oh! Them there are bandits! We ought'a steer very clear -- they ain't nice, I tell ya'." She nods along with her words as if it is the obvious route to take. But when she sees the expressions on the others' faces, she becomes much more reserved. "U-um...Unless y'all think you can...uh...make 'em go 'way." She clenches the faux jewelry tightly in her hand and shoots a glance in Lerris' direction. She recalls something in the back of her mind. She knows when she sees this man she is supposed to run. She feels the need to run right now. But she fights against it. Why does he frighten her so? Why does that sultry, foreign-sounding voice in her mind tell her to play along?

Mechanics

Edited by Spektor (see edit history)

It must be very, very frustrating for an actor when they put their heart and soul, the very essence of their being, into a role, only for their co-star who just showed up on set half drunk and having barely glanced at the script to upstage them.

The group decides on a plan: Antonia and Lerris will go forth and put on their performance to draw out as many of bandits as they can, then lead them all the way back to the boulder-strewn foot of the hill they stand on in order to ambush the ne'er-do-wells. Sija, Verne, Shardik, Thomas, Æthelflæd, Zakon and Zakon's familiar for today all take their positions, easily evading notice from the distant watchman, while Lerris and "Claire" take their positions.

The signal is given, the metaphorical curtains rise, and Claire of River Reed takes the stage.

Method acting is a difficult and taxing art. Many actors look down their noses at it; they don't believe that such complete and total commitment is needed to portray a complex character. Some believe method acting is merely an excuse for an actor to behave like a complete lunatic under the pretense of "full immersion." But there is a power to it, at least in a world so infused with arcane and occult magics; if an actor can find that core within themselves, if they can just push themselves deep enough, they can truly become another person. They cease to perform a role; they lose themselves, much as an enlightened monk might detach their mind from their body.

Antonia goes to that place. Claire isn't just a character she's created. She's real. She exists. And the terror, the wide-eyed innocence, and the desperation that she feels is pure, raw, and true.

Lerris just imitates some guys he used to know. And honestly? His performance is the more believable.

The aggressive bandit chases his would-be victim through the forest, and the terrified young woman's screams draw the attention of the bandits. The man on the watchtower, spotting them, points and shouts for those below to check it out. Four of the bandits do so, arming themselves with their bows and clubs and, grumbling, heading out to check on the disturbance. Kressle appears from her makeshift tent, handaxes at her side, frowning suspiciously.

Spotting the incoming bandits, Claire screams, skids to a stop, turns, narrowly ducks under a lunging tackle from Lerris, and begins running back towards the hill. Lerris curses and turns to follow her. He shouts over his shoulder at the bandits, letting them know that the girl has treasure in need of looting, and continues his pursuit.

They maintain their performance the whole way, neither breaking character or indicating their real motives. The bandits, however, are lazy and tired. One of them breaks off shortly past the ring of stone "benches" near the camp. Another, huffing and feeling a stitch in his side, stops in the clearing. But two bandits, blinded by greed, continue the pursuit. They arrive at the base of the hill just in time for Antonia to dive behind the line of boulders, retrieve and draw her rapier, and turn to meet the very surprised pair of bad guys.

OOC

Combat time, everyone!

The PCs win the initiative, no rolls needed. Due to the distance, only two of the bandits are actually falling into your ambush. Neither is armed yet.

Battle map's on Forge, as usual! Also, everyone's free to already have their weapons drawn.

And man, both Antonia and Lerris rolled spectacularly on their Deception checks, but, amusingly, Lerris' rolls were a little better overall. Poor Toni.

Edited by Kavonde (see edit history)

-2x Lesser Antidote
-2x Minor Elixir of Life

Consumables:

Talismans:
-

Items:
-
| AbilitiesFocus Spells:
-Gravity Weapon

Abilities
-Darkvision
-Flurry
-Monster Hunter

Actions:
-Hunt Prey
-Twin Takedown
-Battle Medicine

Sija waits behind the rocks, trying to breathe as quietly as she can as the drama plays out down near the bandit camp. She peeks between the branches of a leafy shrub, seeing nothing in the clearing as she waits, until finally Antonia, er, Claire, bursts through from the far side. Lerris follows quickly, then another two bandits.

Two is better than none. She thinks, rather circumspect. As they race forward, she jumps out to run up past Lerris' to face them. She wields her two blades now, the ones she always keeps hidden beneath her wagon seat. Each has a long, ornate hilt that encases her forearms, and deadly sharp blades that she slashes through the air with ease. She holds them high, ready to strike when she gets close. She swings at the nearer, catching him with the edge and drawing a spray of blood.

OOC/Actions

Other: 

Action 1: Move

Action 2: Move

Action 3: Strike

Free: 

Exploration Activity: 

Feats

-Monster Hunter

-Battle Medicine

-Natural Medicine

-Herbalist Dedication

--Advanced Alchemy

--Alchemical Crafting

-Twin Takedown

-Gravity Weapon

Appearance

Gear

Worn

-Clothing (Winter)

-Breastplate

-Backpack

-Belt Pouch

-Healer's tools

-Bandolier

Weapons

-Club

-Corset Knife

-2x Dandpatta (PC)

-Flyssa

-5x Darts

-Whip

Containers

Backpack

-Bedroll

-Climbing Kit

-Rations (2 weeks)

-5x Sacks

-5x Torches

-Waterskin

Bandoliers

-4x Flasks Oil

Belt/Pouch

-10x Chalk

-Crowbar

-Flint and Steel

-Soap

-2x Candles

-2gp 4sp 6cp

Edited by Kistler (see edit history)

image.png.4c4b77ae102cad34c4f41a5c079e932f.pngLerris Ninthborne

health-normal.svgHP: 32/32 |checked-shield.svg AC: 21 (Raised Shield) | awareness.svg Per: + 5 | Fort: +8 | Ref: +4 | Will: +8 | Hero: 1 | Languages: Common (Taldane), Hallit, Skald

He wasn't acting. That was the one thought going through Lerris' mind as he chased after Antonia  Claire, yelling obscenities and threats at the woman. "Come back here Miss! I just want to talk! Lot worse you can run into hear than me." He waved his sword after her, his eyes greedily looking down to whatever pouch or such things she had on her. It wasn't acting. Just being himself, the self he was trying not to be anymore. It worried him how easily it came back.

"Oi! You two!" He shouted as he saw the two bandits come forward, cursing just as Claire disappeared behind some rocks. "You're in luck, easy pickings ahead. Just needs a couple more sets of hands. Give me em' and we'll split it even like." He said, half command half invitation. Spineless men often listened to commands no matter where they came from, especially if there was promise of coin at the end of it. His eyes shifted then, catching Sija as she stalked up from the side.

"What are you waiting for? Come on! If you don't hurry it up then she's gonna-" A few more words, just long enough to keep their attention as Sija came running up and put her blade into one of them. His words dropped then, so did his stance. And he went running forward to catch the bandit that Sija hadn't attacked. His sword, which a moment ago had been pointed towards Claire, now angling to cut into him.

Unfortunately as he ran up the strike went wide, the sword flying through the air rather than flash. Apparently he was mimicking how piss poor he used to be at fighting as well. Those missing fingers on his hand reminders of that. "Damn." He grunted as he pulled back slightly, bring his shield up between him and the man.

image.png.5bee56e36745271f76b0d86a3c4f8045.png

Zakon Malheur

HP: 20/20 | AC: 14 | Perception: +7image.png.ee2050fec237379a2949f7b183fe1591.png
Fort: +4 | Ref: +4 | Will: +9
Hero Points: O | Focus Points: O

From his position behind the largest boulder, Zakon couldn't see the clearing or the approaching bandits but that also meant they would have a hard time seeing him. During his morning rituals, he compelled the service of a being called 'Thruuska, the Nerve Swimmer'. A horrific pale worm-like maggot of a creature about the size of a cat. It was spawn of Yhidothrus, the Ravager Worm, but due to the terms of the binding, it was relatively harmless. However, as part of that bargain, Zakon could command Thruuska to telepathically project its senses back to him. Zakon had thought this might be useful for scouting out enemy positions from beneath the soil but it hadn't been necessary. Instead, Thruuska lurks below the earth and keeps Zakon appraised of how many bandits were taking the bait, without him having to risk being spotted.

Not that he needed much of a warning. Lerris and 'Claire' make plenty of noise as they lure the men to the clearing. Zakon appears around the north side of the rocks shortly after hearing combat ensue. "Arise," he says, darkly, "and feast to your heart's content." Zakon waves one hand upward, dramatically, and Thruuska burrows up out of the earth at the feet of the two bandits, quickly coiling around itself and threatening to climb up any available pant-leg. Its many legs quiver and its tiny maw opens in what might have been a roar if the thing was bigger. Still, its hissing screech is unnerving and one shudders to think what a creature like that could do if it could burrow into flesh as easily as packed earth.

OOC

Action 1: Stride
Action 2: Demoralize the Bandit that Lerris is fighting (probably doesn't matter but Familiar has Threat Display) - got a 12
Action 3: Demoralize the Brute that Sija is fighting (probably doesn't matter but Familiar has Threat Display) - got a 21

Edited by BlackHat (see edit history)