Act 2, Part 1: Trouble at Oleg's

Kavonde

y0rRwhX.png

Thomas of Nowhere | checked-shield.svgAC: 18 | health-normal.svg HP: 30/30 | awareness.svg Per: +5 | Fort: +7 | Ref: +8 | Will: +7 | FP: 2

Æthelflæd | checked-shield.svgAC: 19 | awareness.svg Per: +4 | Fort: +7 | Ref: +8 | Will: +6

Thomas heaves a dramatic sigh, as though displeased by no longer being in the spotlight. He has a habitual storyteller's cadence--or a confidence man's, if someone is feeling particularly uncharitable: flowing, personable, reasonable-sounding.

"He'll nae stop, lads. Nivver met a fella sae puir concerned wi' th'weight o'the law. He's got th'Lady Aldori's ear, too- an' there's all sorts o'bands o'armed lads hungry fer glory on their way down here, suren there are. We're but th'first of'em, and them all passed thro' th'same meat grinder whit we did, assassins an' giants.  Nae more takin' gold from a stout lad an' his wife, wi' a crossbow between them; 'twill be hard lads wi' pigstickers, now, or worse--an' the risk o' spatterin' yuir guts on th'fair grass fer each pouch o'coin. Nae, the cozy days o' safely bringin' home Oleg's bacon're gane, an' they'll nae be back. There's mony a thing like that," he adds wistfully.
The faint music doesn't grow louder, just backs his words, slow and thoughtful. He looks over the brigands; his face twists, scowling at Happs, but his expression visibly softens bit by bit as he takes in the rest of them. There's a wistfulness in his words, for an easier time and a happier one. He's shown it often enough, twisted in bitterness, but he turns it to good use here.

"Look, th' braid road o'wickedness is easy while i' lasts, but it leads ye tae cliffside or sinkhole, sooner or later. I've been in yuir boots, lads--thin-soled boots they are a'that, like. Most o'ye dinnae seem like bad sorts o'fellows. Been a lawless land, hasn't it? Nae law but th'strong. Ill luck brought ye here, or kept ye here, an' noo if ye dinnae take honest men's coin fer th'Stag Lord, he'll take it out o'yuir hides. I'll bet half o'ye ain't ever killed a man save tae save yuir own hides, an' fer most o'the rest o'ye, it's been a job gone bad? I'll speak tae ol' stick-arse on yuir behalf. Whit ye've done is understandable. It's defensible. An' here's yuir chance tae gie it up--an' be in on th'ground floor of whit's comin', tae boot."

Thomas glances back at Zakon, a meaningful look: trust me. He might be luring them in, or changing the plan on the fly, or sympathizing with them in truth.

Æthelflæd, in their suit, comes forward; their own chest blazes with the same green sigil, heart-side. Unmistakably fey, unmistakably dignified, their bearing might be mistaken for authority by those who haven't encountered a majordomo. Thomas might have spoken with them, or their nature might just lend itself to the complementary argument. They look down their long nose, and sniff.

Thomas, for once, presents himself deferentially, as if Æthelflæd were the master and he the servant. He inclines his head, and gazes at the ground, and indicates through his posture that someone important is speaking. Their subtly pained expression is comprehensible as distaste for this entire charade only to those who have already spent time in their company. The music swells a little: more portentious, building to something.
"There is an order coming to these lands that has long been missing, and much will be put right. Some of you think yourselves clever men: there will be a need for clever men, and neither the Lady Aldori nor these... fine... people will needlessly throw good or clever men away. If you lay your weapons down, you enter as my guests. I will not let you come to any harm I can prevent unless you violate guest-right."

The pained expression grows a little more pronounced for a moment, but is replaced by the frosty smile of an aloof but honest aristocrat.

OOC/mechanics

Assuming +1 status from Musical Accompaniment. Maybe one of those is a crit--at least, maybe with a GM bonus!

Thomas will Aid Another with a reaction, for another +1 (if vs DC 20) or potential +2 (if vs Will/Per of the brigands) for Æthelflæd.

Name
Diplomacy
1d20+11 12
Diplomacy (Æthelflæd)
1d20+11 13
Aid Another
1d20+11 14

There's a long moment of silence after Thomas and Æthelflæd speak. The bandits look at each other, uncertain. Happs looks between the fey "lord" and his "servant," clearly running through a long list of mental calculations.

"I didn't understood a word the pretty man said," Micah announces in an awed tone, "but gosh, it sure sounded beautiful."

Shaken out of his thoughts, Happs shoots Micah a quick glare, then turns back to Æthelflæd. "Alright. I... I'll do it. I never wanted... " He shakes his head and sighs. "I got your word? None of us is comin' to harm?"

"Boss, you sure about this?" 
asks one of the less distinctive bandits armed with a bow.

Happs shakes his head again. "The fancy guy's right. If ol' Aldori's got a bee in her bonnet about bringin' law an' order to these parts, then this whole operation's done for. Right now, our hands are pretty clean, 'least compared to some of them psychos. We turn ourselves in, serve some time, an' maybe we can get back to how life was before we got press-ganged inta this."

"Kressle ain't gonna like that, boss," 
Micah observes.

"Kressle is exactly the kinda psycho I'm talkin' about. You remember what she did to that kobold?"

Micah shivers. "Poor li'l guy didn't stop screamin' for hours."

Happs turns back to Æthelflæd, then nods resolutely and hands over his bow, his quiver, and his hunting knife. He turns to look at the others. Micah swallows and strides forward, pulling from his back what appears to be a thick limb from an old oak tree, with a bit of leather wrapped around the base to serve as a handle, and lays it at Æthelflæd's feet. The others follow suit.

... Except for one, the archer who spoke earlier. He shakes his head in disbelief as he watches his comrades, and spits at their feet. "You're fools. The Stag Lord isn't just some bandit. He's the son of Erastil! He's going to crush these 'heroes!' He's going to crush Restov and Rostland and Brevoy and anyone else who challenges him! And when he finds you traitors, you're all going to die. Badly." He faces Æthelflæd, flips him the bird, then turns and begins stalking quickly away from the trading post.

Edited by Kavonde (see edit history)

spacer.pngVerne Greencloak| HP: 24/24 | AC: 19 | Fort: +5  Ref: +6  Will: +10  Perception: +8 | Hero Points: 2/3 | Spell SlotsDruid 1: 2/2

Shardik | HP: 26/26 | AC: 19 | Fort: +6  Ref: +6  Will: +5  Perception: +5spacer.png

A word comes from a nearby bush, and a young bear charges out.  He looks almost gleeful, mouth open and tongue lolling, as he chases after the bandit. 

A moment after Shardik begins his pursuit, a bolt of lighting arcs from the bush and strikes the running archer.  Verne's head is poking up from amongst the leaves, as he apparently hasn't bothered to get up, and is just sitting there, having cast his spell.

Then Shardik catches up to the fleeing archer, and lunges to catch him.  The bandit almost dodges out of the way, but the bear gets his teeth into the running man's thigh and takes him down.

Edited by PlotDevice (see edit history)
Name
Shardik grapple
1d20+7 3
Electric Arc damage
1d4+4 3
Hero Point Reroll on grapple
1d20+7 7

Antonia.png.446fd0f700762d828f60adffd3e4865b.pngAntonia Rullianus

Swashbuckler Fencer 2

checked-shield.svgAC: 19 | health-normal.svgHP: 30/30 | awareness.svgPer: +5 | Fort: +5 | Ref: +9 | Will: +6 | Hero: 2/3 | Languages: Common, Dwarven, Elven

Panache: ✖️ | Conditions: None

The alternative plan of holding a court hearing was suggested, and Antonia had to stop herself from shaking her head in wonder. These Cheliax Judges had a way of making everything complicated. They were in a lawless land. It was the best excuse to deal with their problems in a lawless way and still be viewed as good-hearted heroes. The way she preferred it. But that's not how she needed to be viewed. 'This eez an awful plan.' "What a wonderful plan, Judge. As always, your guidance through the processes of bringing law to a land without is much appreciated and admired." She smiled at Zakon. "Very well, then. Let the trial commence. I am sure these bandits and extortionists have enough humanity left within them to respect the law. The law that is not recognized or enacted here, that is. But that is why we are here, after all." At least, most of them were.

Later, as she heard Zakon's voice boom out into the courtyard, Antonia stepped out of the trading post to directly observe the 'trial' commencement. With both hands behind her back, giving her a stately posture, she paced around the defendants like a military captain watching her grunts perform disciplinary push-ups. As if she was looking for any reason to bark out that their form was wrong and they needed to perform fifty more. Imagine her surprise when Happs gave in to the letter of the non-existent law and turned in his bow. These new allies of hers...they were surprisingly competent. Just when she thought they had come up with the worst plan yet, she was proven wrong once again. "Well, well! Logic reigns supreme in the face of insurmountable odds. You have all proven that your humanity remains intact." Just then, one of the bandits flipped a finger towards the strange Fey-friend and began sprinting. "...Or at least most of you have." She shook her head, watching as the bandit rushed past her. She glanced in the direction of Verne and Shardik and her mouth puckered in disappointment. With one hand raised next to her mouth to amplify her voice towards the runner, she called out, "You're making a poor choice, my friend. You choose the barbaric path and you will find nothing but a barbaric end." Her latter statement was only reinforced by Shardik sprinting forward to catch his prize.

"So be it." Her hands came from behind her back, where she had actually been gripping the handle of her hand crossbow. With only a moment to aim, she fired off a bolt threateningly, which landed a few feet near the fleeing man. A click of her tongue indicated her annoyance with the failed attempt and she quickly moved to reload another bolt. The shot, while closer to her target, was still not aimed well enough. "Two warning shots, dear! The next...Well, 'third times the charm' is a common saying for a reason. It may not kill you, but the bear is quite capable of that on his own. Let's be reasonable." She moved to load another shot, just in case he decided to make more poor choices.

Mechanics

Action 1: Fire hand crossbow - Rolled 11 total - MISS!

Action 2: Reload.

Action 3: Fire hand crossbow - Rolled 13 total - MISS!

uc?export=download&id=1dRpitT3CcasYF2DNUtVf9NtjWbs0fRXE

Sija Bhatyani - Half-Elf Ranger 2

HP: 32/32 | AC: 19 | Speed: 25ft | Hero: 1/3 | Focus: 1/1

Perception: +8 | Fort: +8 | Ref: +7 | Will: +6 

Conditions-None| ResourcesInfused Items:
-2x Lesser Antidote
-2x Minor Elixir of Life

Consumables:
-1 PC affixed to dandpatta

Talismans:
-

Items:
-
| AbilitiesFocus Spells:
-Gravity Weapon

Abilities
-Darkvision
-Flurry
-Monster Hunter

Actions:
-Hunt Prey
-Twin Takedown
-Battle Medicine
| Skills*Acrobatics: +5
*Arcana: +5
*Athletics: +8
Crafting: +1
Deception: +0
Diplomacy: +0
*Herbalism Lore: +5
Intimidate: +0
*Medicine: +6
**Nature: +8
*Occultism: +5
Performance: +0
*Religion: +6
Society: +1
*Stealth: +5
*Survival: +6
Thievery: +1

*Trained | **Expert | ***Master

Sija pushes the gate forward and steps out from behind it, long bladed knife and whip in hand, smiling a cat's grin. These men narrowly avoided death, it's only fair to show their hand now, and reinforce that good decision-making. "Smart, to throw down arms now. I'm sure this 'judge' will be lenient with you. I may have need of a caravan guard or two myself, if things are getting as danger-" She pauses. "Is that man running? That's very bad." She starts running after him just as Shardik brings him down, then slows to a walk as she approaches. She expertly slings her whip to wrap around his ankles and starts dragging him back toward the gate.

OOC/Actions

Other: 

Action 1: Let's make it a trip? Some kind of athletics thing.

Action 2: *ka-tcha!*

Action 3: 

Reaction: None, yet

Free: 

Exploration Activity: 

Feats

-Elf Atavism (Darkvision)

-Monster Hunter

-Battle Medicine

-Natural Medicine

-Herbalist Dedication

--Advanced Alchemy

--Alchemical Crafting

-Twin Takedown

-Gravity Weapon

Appearance

Sija looks like a typical Vudran woman, often dressing in the more traditional fabric wrap of her homeland and often a headscarf or shawl. She often wears some form of ornamentation or jewelry on hands, ears, neck, and brow. She is older than most, though as a half-elf she wears her six decades with dignity and grace, with few signs of the decrepitude often seen in similarly aged humans. She is tall, and stands with a straight back and good posture. Her arm is strong and well-corded with sinew and muscle, perhaps appearing a touch wiry, and her skin a bit weathered from years outside. Her hair was once a glossy black, though now it is streaked with gray; more with each passing day.

She can often be found with a cudgel, a wicked-looking curved dagger, and a whip hanging from her belt. She wears these, and warm outer clothes or a cloak to protect her from the elements, when she travels. When expecting trouble she throws a bandolier on that's filled with flasks of healing ointments and poultices.

Gear

Worn

-Clothing (Winter)

-Breastplate

-Backpack

-Belt Pouch

-Healer's tools

-Bandolier

Weapons

-Club

-Corset Knife

-2x Dandpatta (PC)

-Flyssa

-5x Darts

-Whip

Containers

Backpack

-Bedroll

-Climbing Kit

-Rations (2 weeks)

-5x Sacks

-5x Torches

-Waterskin

Bandoliers

-4x Flasks Oil

Belt/Pouch

-10x Chalk

-Crowbar

-Flint and Steel

-Soap

-2x Candles

-2gp 4sp 6cp

Edited by Kistler (see edit history)
Name
An tripping, tie up thingy?
1d20+8 14

image.png.4c4b77ae102cad34c4f41a5c079e932f.pngLerris Ninthborne

health-normal.svgHP: 32/32 |checked-shield.svg AC: 19 | awareness.svg Per: + 5 | Fort: +8 | Ref: +4 | Will: +8 | Hero: 1 | Languages: Common (Taldane), Hallit, Skald

This is a terrible plan. Is what Lerris was thinking as he climbed down the side of the wall to the outpost. For there to be a court there needed to be laws, and for their to be laws there needed to be a country. And the Stolen Lands certainly wasn't that, not yet at least. Lerris figured that actually banditry might even legal here, or at least not illegal. Course that didn't mean it was moral. But morals were how laws were founded not practiced.

"I'm your uh... state appointed legal counsel. Think that was the term." Lerris said as he ran a hand through his hair. He'd spent the majority of last night going over a hastily prepared glossary of legal terms. It had been provided by Zakon after the judge basically forced Lerris into the role of legal counsel. He was almost sure he'd been given the role so that he could fail and a verdict the judge liked could be reached, but that didn't mean he wasn't going to try his best for these men. No one else would after all.

"Now I assure you, despite how it may seem. I actually have done this before." Lerris said as he made his way up to Happs. It wasn't a lie. Back when he was on trial he had made the choice to defend himself, didn't trust anyone else to do it. Though at the end of that trial he'd been sentenced to hang, so maybe it wasn't the best example. "So let's give this our all, eh? Figure there's a good chance by the end of the day you'll all be sipping mead with your feet up, free in conscious and of bindings."

"Oh and. Can the uh... bailiff Shardik bring me back my runner defendant?" Lerris asked, eyes turning to Verne as he spoke. "Or do I need to go and get him myself?"

spacer.pngVerne Greencloak| HP: 24/24 | AC: 19 | Fort: +5  Ref: +6  Will: +10  Perception: +8 | Hero Points: 2/3 | Spell SlotsDruid 1: 2/2

Shardik | HP: 26/26 | AC: 19 | Fort: +6  Ref: +6  Will: +5  Perception: +5spacer.png

Still unsure why the group decided that a trial was the best way to handle the bandit attack, Verne shrugs, and says a few words to Shardik in his strange language, and once Sija has control of the prisoner, the bear lets go of the leg, which has suffered surprisingly little harm.

Verne says, "Don't forget that he didn't surrender.  The others saw sense, and earned a little trust, he did not."

Shardik comes back to him, collapsing with a sigh of boredom, and Verne's head disappears beneath the leaves as he lays back down.

Edited by PlotDevice (see edit history)

"You're all dead," the attempted escapee assures Sija as she drags him back into the outpost. His voice is oddly calm, but there's a wildness to his eyes. "You don't know who you're provoking. He's not just a man. He's the son of a god. I've seen him. Seen his true face. The land itself supports his rule. You don't know the power he commands."

When Sija dumps him at the feet of his "legal counsel," he glowers silently at Lerris, Verne, and Happs in turn, but says nothing more.

"Okay, so," Happs begins, looking at Lerris, "how does this work, exactly? Like, is this actually a real trial? 'Cause we gotta know what we're bein' charged with, right?"

"Oleg said they wanna charge us with 'banditry,' Boss," 
Micah notes.

"Well, sure, but is that a criminal offense? 'Cause 'bandit's' a profession, right? Like bein' a baker or a bowyer."

"Or a barrista."

"Or a barrista," 
Happs agrees. "If the charge is jus' bein' bandits, well, I guess technically we're guilty. But ain't all of us as bad as others. So, y'know, if the charges are stealin' an' murderin' or whatever, there's some stuff we ain't guilty of."

"Yeah, like murder," Micah says, nodding. "None of us never killed anyone."

There are a few uncomfortable glances and shifting feet. Happs, carefully reviewing what his lieutenant just said, finally nods. "What he jus' said is accurate."

Oleg and Svetlana, meanwhile, approach the presiding judge. "Your Honor?" Svetlana asks. "I can't vouch for their actions outside of this trading post, but the only one of them who ever directly threatened violence against us was the woman with the hatchets."

"Almost cut off my hand," 
Oleg adds.

"We convinced her not to, but she took my wedding ring as recompense." She sighs. "Anyway, these men never harmed us. So, while obviously their sentences are up to you, we just... wanted to tell you that."

Antonia.png.446fd0f700762d828f60adffd3e4865b.pngAntonia Rullianus

Swashbuckler Fencer 2

checked-shield.svgAC: 19 | health-normal.svgHP: 30/30 | awareness.svgPer: +5 | Fort: +5 | Ref: +9 | Will: +6 | Hero: 2/3 | Languages: Common, Dwarven, Elven

Panache: ✖️ | Conditions: None

Feeling proud of herself, as if she had actually done something, Antonia stowed her crossbow in its customized holster and strode with confidence towards the defendants. She listened to the pleas shared with their ‘legal counsel’ with no small amount of amusement. Perhaps there were confidentiality laws against this in the more civilized parts of these lands, but if there were, she either didn’t know them or didn’t care. “You’re cute.” She said to Micah, with her sly grin ever present. “I like you. I don’t think it will help your case but it’s worth mentioning all the same.” 
With casual ease befitting only the most arbitrary of individuals, Antonia leaned against Lerris with her elbow stabbing into his pectoral muscle, as if he were some sort of staircase railing and she was a the most popular girl in the local academy. “What do you think, Lerris darling? How do you rate their chances of survival? I, for one, absolutely believe them. No one spends a life murdering and remains as innocent and ignorant as our dear friend here.” She gestured lazily towards Micah. “And Happs — well, let’s be honest. He’s not exactly the brains of the operation.” The arrogant fencer gave Happs an apologetic expression that was as real as it was well-acted. “No offense, dear. But in this case it works towards your benefit. I’ve never been to Cheliax but I’ve heard rumors. Community service with a bit of time in a cell is the absolute best case scenario for you. Do not get me wrong, I’m rooting for you. Well — less for you and more for my friend here.” She jabbed her elbow a little harder into Lerris’ chest as if gesturing in his direction. “He will need to practice if he’s to be a Baron, after all.” Antonia sealed the statement with a wink in the Champions direction. “Who knows? Maybe he’ll make you his cupbearer when all is said and done. You couldn’t ask for better legal counsel.” She examined her nails, as if already bored with her own conversation. “I’d say the handsome man-o’-muscle  has probably seen the inside of a court room more times than any one of us combined — barring the Judge, of course.” Suddenly, her eyebrows raised and she seemed to lose herself in her thoughts. “Did I just make a legal pun? I can’t quite tell. I suppose it’s a good thing they didn’t choose me as your counselor.” The statement was followed by bellowing laughter. Clearly she found herself rather amusing. 

Mechanics

-2x Lesser Antidote
-2x Minor Elixir of Life

Consumables:

Talismans:
-

Items:
-
| AbilitiesFocus Spells:
-Gravity Weapon

Abilities
-Darkvision
-Flurry
-Monster Hunter

Actions:
-Hunt Prey
-Twin Takedown
-Battle Medicine

"Son of a god? Sounds more like a real son of a bitch. Why don't you tell me all about him? I am an excellent listener when I want to be." She says, handling the man rather roughly as she pushes him down.

Ignoring the proceedings around her she approaches Happs, whip now coiled at her hip and long, bright flaying knife in its sheath. "I don't give a flying fruitbat about this trial or if these people even have the authority to have a trial. I want to know where this hatchet lady is. And fast."

OOC/Actions

Other: 

Action 1: 

Action 2: 

Action 3: 

Free: 

Exploration Activity: 

Feats

-Monster Hunter

-Battle Medicine

-Natural Medicine

-Herbalist Dedication

--Advanced Alchemy

--Alchemical Crafting

-Twin Takedown

-Gravity Weapon

Appearance

Sija looks like a typical Vudran woman, often dressing in the more traditional fabric wrap of her homeland and often a headscarf or shawl. She often wears some form of ornamentation or jewelry on hands, ears, neck, and brow. She is older than most, though as a half-elf she wears her six decades with dignity and grace, with few signs of the decrepitude often seen in similarly aged humans. She is tall, and stands with a straight back and good posture. Her arm is strong and well-corded with sinew and muscle, perhaps appearing a touch wiry, and her skin a bit weathered from years outside. Her hair was once a glossy black, though now it is streaked with gray; more with each passing day.

She can often be found with a cudgel, a wicked-looking curved dagger, and a whip hanging from her belt. She wears these, and warm outer clothes or a cloak to protect her from the elements, when she travels. When expecting trouble she throws a bandolier on that's filled with flasks of healing ointments and poultices.

Gear

Worn

-Clothing (Winter)

-Breastplate

-Backpack

-Belt Pouch

-Healer's tools

-Bandolier

Weapons

-Club

-Corset Knife

-2x Dandpatta (PC)

-Flyssa

-5x Darts

-Whip

Containers

Backpack

-Bedroll

-Climbing Kit

-Rations (2 weeks)

-5x Sacks

-5x Torches

-Waterskin

Bandoliers

-4x Flasks Oil

Belt/Pouch

-10x Chalk

-Crowbar

-Flint and Steel

-Soap

-2x Candles

-2gp 4sp 6cp

image.png.5bee56e36745271f76b0d86a3c4f8045.png

Zakon Malheur

HP: 20/20 | AC: 14 | Perception: +7
Fort: +4 | Ref: +4 | Will: +9
Hero Points: O | Focus Points: O

"Court is now in recess to allow the defense to confer with the public defender. The proceedings will resume in thirty minutes. All parties are expected to be back in their seats promptly." Earlier, Zakon had briefed Lerris on the charges but they would not be formally read out until the trial resumed. Happs, and his associates, were charged with several counts of criminal behavior. These include three counts of harassment and unlawful seizure of approximately 20 gold pieces, 2 silver pieces and 5 copper pieces worth of goods and valuables and aiding and abetting known criminals (namely Kressle and the man known as the Stag Lord). Potential charges of impersonating a government official (tax collector) were dropped, as they were not impersonating agents of Brevoy and were up front about being agents of the Stag Lord. One of them had also probably earned a charge of resisting arrest or obstruction of justice for attempting to flee during the trial which was, so far, the most serious of the offenses. After this recess, these men would be asked how they plead against these charges.

During the recess, however, he learned new information from Oleg and Svetlana. He asked Oleg (privately, if he wished) to approximate the value of the ring and then called Lerris to his bench and informed him of the discovery of the theft of the wedding ring and that these men were also accomplices to that crime, despite not personally threatening to cut anyone's hands off. He also confirmed with Oleg that he wished to represent himself, in this matter, or whether he wished to use this recess to ask one of the others - perhaps someone he trusted like Sija, to represent them. He assured both Oleg and Lerris that he would attempt to keep this simple and straightforward, as he understood that he was the only person in attendance with a formal background in the Law. "I believe we all share a goal of seeing these men get a fair trial while ensuring that justice is served."

image.png.4c4b77ae102cad34c4f41a5c079e932f.pngLerris Ninthborne

health-normal.svgHP: 32/32 |checked-shield.svg AC: 19 | awareness.svg Per: + 5 | Fort: +8 | Ref: +4 | Will: +8 | Hero: 1 | Languages: Common (Taldane), Hallit, Skald

"I think they've got more than a good shot." Lerris said he crossed his arms and Antonia leaned against him with that elbow, seemingly unmoving as he was used as a wall to prop herself up against. "We're not being charged for murder, which is a damn good start. Oleg and Svetlana don't seem to want your heads either, they just don't want to be bothered."

"So if we angle at a plea deal or a settlement, which I really recommend, I figure you fellas won't be having to spend any time in a cell at all. Just some er... community service, like Antonia said. Which and trust me, is far better than living in a cell." Lerris finished. And he wasn't just trying to assuage them, genuine he thought this had some merit. At least from the barebones law explanations he'd gotten from Zakon, he still wasn't sure he was using all of the terms correctly.

"And speaking of things you said. Don't go teasing me now, Antonia." Lerris looked down at the woman as she leaned against him, running four fingers through his hair. He took special care to not grunt in pain as she elbowed him in the chest. He was just tall, not made out of stone after all. "I much suspect Aroden will come crawling out of his grave before anyone calls Lerris Ninthborne their baron."

"But, anyways. Here's what I suggest as plea deal. Admittance of guilt of course. Some time spent working to put at ease your debts and crimes, I'm sure sure the judge will be come up with an accurate and fair number. No more than a few months likely." Lerris explained his idea to them plainly and honestly. He wasn't going to sugarcoat it, say that all would be forgiven with no work or effort on their part. He knew that wasn't case after all, besides. Anybody who truly wanted to move on from their past would understand such deal wasn't free. He had. "And finally, and most importantly, complete cooperation against the Stag Lord and any of his crew. No one will be expecting you to run at em' with swords and sticks, but information and such."

"Put all this together and we're looking at a really good deal. A proper second chance. The only issue that might present itself is well... putting it frankly. You." Lerris finished as his brown eyes softened and turned to each of the bandits in turn. They weren't judging, far from it. Understanding rather. Even when they finally fell upon the one who tried to run. "I'm going to say something you've probably heard before, so don't just write it off. But I understand, I really do. Take a look at my face and hands and you'll know why. Things haven't been easy for you, they never have been likely. And I'm not telling you they magically will be if you listen to me. But they can be better at least. You can walk with your heads held high and shoulders up, knowing Pharasma's gonna send you some place nice when its your time."

"And that all starts right here, right now. By trying a new way. If I could do it, so can you." Lerris' eyes finally fell upon Happs, he held a hand out towards the man. Inviting. "So, what say you? Willing to take a second shot at the honest life?"

Micah blushes at Antonia's compliment. "Aw, shucks. You're real purdy, too. I always wanted to have long hair like yours, but it's real hard to get good product out in the middle of a forest. I tried makin' some shampoo outta some plants once, but, uh... that's why I'm bald now."

Happs, however, looks crosses his arms indignantly. "I'll have you know, lady, that these boys would've crapped their guts out half a hundred times without me. Ain't no one 'round here knows the local plants an' animals better'n me. S'the whole reason I got pressed inta service. Kressle's good with numbers, but she don't know a maple leaf from a sprig of poison ivy. Maybe I ain't got a fancy education or know a buncha fine words, but I'm bettin' yer skinny behind wouldn't last a week out here without someone like me or that bear kid around."

He looks at Sija when she speaks and nods. "Well, we got a base southwest'a here, along the Thorn River. It's a two-day walk if ya know the way, maybe three if ya don't. She'll probably have six to eight underlings with her, an' trust me, her crew ain't gonna be as polite an' reasonable as mine."  [New location "Thorn River Bandit Camp" added to the map on Forge.]

Happs quiets and listens when Lerris speaks, considering his words and advice carefully. "So, what, you used ta live this life? An' now yer some hero adventurer, doin' Aldori's biddin'? Well... I ain't got much int'rest in workin' for that old harpy. But I got even less int'rest in hangin' from a rope. So, sure, I'll do 'community service.' Prob'ly ain't gonna be much diff'rent than was I was doin' before all this.

"As for admittin' guilt, well... " He shrugs and looks at his men. Everyone, save the bound would-be escapee, looks at him nervously. He sighs and bows his head for a moment before continuing. "I got pressed inta this about six months ago. Was jus' a trapper, mindin' my own business an' not botherin' anyone. But there's always been bandit gangs 'round these parts, y'see? Like, always. Since ancient times. 'Cause these lands have never been held for more'n a few years before everythin' falls apart. Folks say the Stolen Lands are cursed, that they hate the very idea of civilization. Makes it a great place for folks who ain't too fond of civilization themselves to hide out.

"Anyway, this Stag Lord... no one knows where he came from, but he started forcin' the gangs 'round here to fall in with him. Anyone who wouldn't, he killed. Eventually he started pickin' up strays like me what could be useful. I dunno much about most of these boys," 
he nods to his men, "'cause, well, ain't none of us much like ta talk about ours pasts. But the lady's right; ain't none of them particularly vicious. The real psychos are with Kressle... or with the Stag Lord."

He holds up his hands to forestall an obvious question. "'Fore you ask, I dunno where his base is, exactly. I think it's near the Tuskwater, the big lake down south, but I ain't never been there. Ain't even met the man himself. Jus' Kressle an' this creepy fella named Dovan. We gather any loot we take into a wagon at our camp, and Kressle an' a couple of her crew take it to wherever it's goin'."

Happs looks back at his companions for a moment, then nods and continues. "Anyway, I s'pose we're all guilty of robbin' Oleg and Svetlana here, like the judge said. We've robbed a handful'a merchants travelin' near the border, too. No one got hurt when it was jus' us, but... Kressle was with us sometimes, an'... " He sighs. "You gotta look out for your crew, even when they're bein' idiots."

"But you was usin' blunted arrows," Micah says, patting Happs comfortingly on the shoulder. "S'like you told me. Blunt weapons can't kill no one. S'why I use a big stick."

Happs happs the big man's arm and gives Lerris a sad, pleading look. "So... yeah. Robbery an'... accessories to murder. That gonna be enough fer the judge?"

-2x Lesser Antidote
-2x Minor Elixir of Life

Consumables:

Talismans:
-

Items:
-
| AbilitiesFocus Spells:
-Gravity Weapon

Abilities
-Darkvision
-Flurry
-Monster Hunter

Actions:
-Hunt Prey
-Twin Takedown
-Battle Medicine

Sija's eyes open wide at the honesty and forthright attitude the men show. "Well. You don't seem a bad sort after all. If that judge plans to hang you I'll be sure to put a stop to it. Oleg and Svetlana wouldn't be the type to stand for it either. Now, tell me when you'll be missed by this Kressle. And this Dovan... he didn't have some ridiculous thin moustache that he twirled like some storybook villain, did he?"

She turns to Lerris, "It seems very clear where the real threat here is. This Kressle can't be left to come back here again. I don't know your group too well. You know your way around a fight, I can tell. But that judge seems more comfortable behind a desk, that Thomas and his uncanny fey friend seem like a strong wind might knock them down, the boy with the pet bear seems too young, and the sword-lady seems all flash and no fire. Now people can surprise you, but this is dangerous work. Dangerous for you, and dangerous for these good people here if you fail." She pauses for a long second, "So even though you have some legal charter blah blah blah," she says, waving her hands, "I'm coming with you. I know which end of the sword to stick in a person, and I can stitch them up after. I brew a good cup of tea too, for what it's worth."

OOC/Actions

Other: 

Action 1: 

Action 2: 

Action 3: 

Free: 

Exploration Activity: 

Feats

-Monster Hunter

-Battle Medicine

-Natural Medicine

-Herbalist Dedication

--Advanced Alchemy

--Alchemical Crafting

-Twin Takedown

-Gravity Weapon

Appearance

Gear

Worn

-Clothing (Winter)

-Breastplate

-Backpack

-Belt Pouch

-Healer's tools

-Bandolier

Weapons

-Club

-Corset Knife

-2x Dandpatta (PC)

-Flyssa

-5x Darts

-Whip

Containers

Backpack

-Bedroll

-Climbing Kit

-Rations (2 weeks)

-5x Sacks

-5x Torches

-Waterskin

Bandoliers

-4x Flasks Oil

Belt/Pouch

-10x Chalk

-Crowbar

-Flint and Steel

-Soap

-2x Candles

-2gp 4sp 6cp

y0rRwhX.png

Thomas of Nowhere | checked-shield.svgAC: 18 | health-normal.svg HP: 30/30 | awareness.svg Per: +5 | Fort: +7 | Ref: +8 | Will: +7 | FP: 2

Æthelflæd | checked-shield.svgAC: 19 | awareness.svg Per: +4 | Fort: +7 | Ref: +8 | Will: +6

Thomas approaches Zakon with a cat-that-got-the-cream grin.
"Ye're welcome, suren ye are," he says, rubbing his hands together. "But I'll wager we can settle this out o'court, like. 'Sides, what'll ye do? Can't lock'em up an' ask our hosts tae feed an' water them, an' guard them too, aye? Can't rightly take'em along. Were I them, I'd pack up an' high-tail it wi' all our valuables, couple nights hence. How no send'em where we came from--wi' sealed letters vouchin' for them, like. I doubt any o'this lot ken th'trick tae open such an' re-seal it after. They make the trip there an' back here, we'll ken they're keen fer it."

He sidles closer to Lerris and Sija, and drapes a languid hand over his forehead. "Och, aye, weak as a kitten, Mam. A lover, nae a fighter. Suren I'll be puir glad tae have yer sword pointed awa' from me an' at this Kessle an' her coarse friends."

OOC/mechanics