Character Creation Q&A

Eborne1

14 hours ago, LDDragon said:

Just checking, is it possible for a monk to have both the lifting hand archetype and maneuver master archetypes? None of their replacement things overlap except for bonus feats, where they both add potential feats to the list.

Friendly inquiry: do the Elephant in the Room rules modifications affect these monk archetypes?  Deft Maneuvers replaces the "Improved" Combat Maneuvers so I just wondered ... ?  

It does and it's a boon to the archetype but the ability only adds options to the character's bonus feat choices at those levels and doesn't just automatically grant abilities.  So I think it's ok. Especially because I like combat maneuvers and would like to see more of them.  A fighter, for example, can choose deft maneuvers for any of their bonus feats at any level.        

Edited by Eborne1 (see edit history)

33 minutes ago, Lunermist said:

will we be allowed to retrain into archtypes that gain magic like abilities and stuff like that should magic return? 

You won't be able to 'retrain', the first level(s)... You will, however, be able to multiclass in any classes beyond the starting list that may become available as a result of the narrative.               

• 3 weeks later...

@Eborne1  I've had a character creation question on the back burner until you made selections. As I'm trying the Infiltrator archetype for a Ranger, the favored enemy selections have a particular importance not only for the vanilla +2 attack/damage bonuses etc., but for the choices of Infiltrator 'adaptations.' As a default and based on the early material about humans being the dominant species, I selected human as my first favored enemy (for level 1) albeit humans have a relatively weak list of adaptations.

So to my question: is there an enemy type e.g. animals or undead or humans or ... that might fall under GM guidance as a near term campaign 'type,' or that might be a better 'fit' given that our characters are going to be rediscovering themselves to some extent? Would Tannus/Vasheed have been likely to have animals, say, as a favored enemy given his antecedents; or, "you're about to head into the Valley of the Undead so ... "?

And ... thank you for the invitation to play.

Edited by Vedast (see edit history)

@Vedast I'll say that you can't go wrong with either Humans or Animals as a starting choice that will serve you well throughout the game and both seem fitting for Tannus, from what I can tell. Other than that tidbit, I would just suggest choosing favored enemies as you go along and in accordance with what you learn about the world and where you plan to venture within it.

No doubt I'll regret this the first few times we fight human guards or other groups, but I think I'll switch the level 1 favored enemy to Animals. Had Vasheed (I guess Tannus might end up being his group name!) been written up as a bounty hunter, Human might make in-game sense, but his Dream Narrative pretty much captures the Bedouin desert nomad archetype so Animals might make better in-game sense.

As noted, future favored enemies will reflect actual gameplay experience. And, in any case, adaptations don't kick in until 3rd level which might be ... some time in the future! 🙂

• 3 months later...
9 hours ago, LDDragon said:

I see this is recruiting again. If I wish to make a different application, should I make a new thread, or change my original thread?

However you want to do it is fine. Let me know if you want me to move your old app to the archive.

EitR has gone through some revisions over the years - most the meat of the rules are the same, though some nomenclature has shifted over the years - seeming to simplify them in use. The version 3.0 of the document handles things like the combat expertise, fighting defensively, power attack, deadly aim, etc. removals by providing two new 'stances' usable by any combat trained creature (BAB +1). Risky Strike and Defensive Stance. There also is included a new combat maneuver (Hamstring) to deal with some other similar feats that do the same thing (hamper mobility) but less elegantly. Finally, they made some tweaks to inflicting nonlethal damage with a lethal weapon - getting rid of the very penalizing -4 attack penalty, and instead removing the ability to crit.

I guess the point of this post was to:

1. Bring the updates to the attention of everyone
  2. Ask for clarification of which version of the rules are being used

ร—
ร—