Post Interest/Character Ideas or Discussion Here

Whitleyrr

5 hours ago, PureChance said:

How common is magic for everyday folk ? On a scale of I guess Lord of the Rings to Eberron. Does the average village have many magic users, or know the odd cantrip?

Magic is known, but not common outside of the major cities. Everyone will have heard of magic, some will have seen it, but few can utilize it. In a village like Hethton, it’s likely there’s a magic user, but probably not more than one.

Thanks. Further question - characters are described in your ad as heroes,  but are clearly all flawed people. How "heroic" vs I guess selfish or more morally grey do you imagine them to be? Or put another way I guess, in a situation where they choose between the "right" thing and the thing with most personal gain, or that is most expedient (assuming these are mutually exclusive), would you be expecting them to chose the right thing 100% of the time? 90%? 50%?

Finally relating to this, do you imagine all the characters having a vaguely redemptive arc, or would a tragic arc have a place too? Depending, obviously, how the story develops 

3 hours ago, PureChance said:

Thanks. Further question - characters are described in your ad as heroes,  but are clearly all flawed people. How "heroic" vs I guess selfish or more morally grey do you imagine them to be? Or put another way I guess, in a situation where they choose between the "right" thing and the thing with most personal gain, or that is most expedient (assuming these are mutually exclusive), would you be expecting them to chose the right thing 100% of the time? 90%? 50%?

Finally relating to this, do you imagine all the characters having a vaguely redemptive arc, or would a tragic arc have a place too? Depending, obviously, how the story develops 

Good question! I think a lot of that depends on how you write them initially and then again on how we co-create them during the game. Even flawed people are capable of heroic deeds; in fact, most of the time heroic deeds are done, it is by folks who would never describe themselves as heroes. The world we’re playing in is indeed a dark, even a fallen place, but it is not beyond redemption or without glimmers of hope. In some places hope will blaze forth like a beacon in the night. Will that be your character? I don’t know yet. But I’m excited to find out.

As for character arcs, I personally lean towards the redemptive, but am not incapable of writing or roleplaying out a tragic arc. 

Hey all, I’m enjoying what I’m seeing so far in the character apps. One thing I should clarify, and this is my fault for being unclear, is that you only need to write about why your character answered the summons of the mage. You don’t need to say more about that as the Prologue of the game will be the PCs encountering the mage. I said a bit about the village of Hethton in the description so you’d get some flavor for where the game will go, but it will begin with the PCs meeting the mage and one another. 

You can adjust your apps accordingly if you like, but it’s not necessary. The game will begin as I said above regardless of your app which may have initially said something else.

Again, I’m really enjoying what I’m reading. Y’all are gonna make this a tough choice, but I love that. If you’re still considering applying, please do so! There’s plenty of time before the Monday deadline!! Happy writing!

Edited by Whitleyrr (see edit history)

Hi! I have a bit of a strange question - would you consider players who are very new to MW? Your game caught my eye immediately and I'm considering applying. I only know from other experiences that new players are not usually considered due to their lack of history on the site.

If you are open to it, I would love the chance to apply.

Apply away, Sunduck! I’ll be learning the Baldr site along with all of you. Familiarize yourself with the site’s functions, particularly how dicerolling works and you should be good. 

Write up a great application and you stand as good a chance as anyone else!

Last day to get those applications in or polished up! I look forward to reading them thoroughly tomorrow (I’ve got a long plane trip - perfect!) and then announcing the players selected here tomorrow evening or Tuesday morning. 

Good luck everybody and thank you so much for applying!

@Karma Kameleon @SunDuck

Wanted to check in with you two as I finalize Jozelle's character sheet. All of us will be getting expertise, and wanted to see what you two were planning just so I don't step on any toes. I feel there's a lot of directions I can go with Jozelle for expertise, so happy to let you both choose first.