Leveling Up - General Questions

cailano

There would need to be an in-game change for Molly to change alignments rather than just acting against alignment. Swearing yourself to a Chaos god in return for something is a pretty good method. People don't often just decide to be evil, though.

2 minutes ago, cailano said:

There would need to be an in-game change for Molly to change alignments rather than just acting against alignment. Swearing yourself to a Chaos god in return for something is a pretty good method. People don't often just decide to be evil, though.

even if the have gone bat poop crazy from being controlled by what ever it was that was controlling him on the beach? 

1 hour ago, Tecumseh said:

FYI, it is very hard for Helge (Lawful) to heal anyone Chaotic. Per the rules, doing so is actually a sin and incurs her god's wrath.

Oof. Lyra shouldn't get hit then; she's Chaotic already.

9 minutes ago, Excior said:

even if the have gone bat poop crazy from being controlled by what ever it was that was controlling him on the beach? 

Yeah, but that was temporary, he didn't show any signs of lingering thoughts, and he even fought against a chaos lord within an hour afterwards.

9 minutes ago, Malkavian Grin said:

Oof. Lyra shouldn't get hit then; she's Chaotic already.

Yeah, but that was temporary, he didn't show any signs of lingering thoughts, and he even fought against a chaos lord within an hour afterwards.

I just saying that PTSD could set in later and cause him to become evil. 

Its doesent matter either way i was just checking. 

PTSD doesn't generally make people evil...

Anyway.

ONE MORE THING, you guys. This isn't an official part of leveling up per the DCC rules, but I saw someone post about it in a forum, and I like it, so let's try it as a house rule.

Pick any attribute you want and roll 3d6. Compare the result to the following table and adjust your character sheet accordingly.

Roll Effect
3 You've suffered an injury that doesn't heal right. -1 to the selected attribute
Less Than Your Attribute Score No change
Greater or Equal to your Attribute Score +1 to the selected attribute
18 +2 to the selected attribute

Why are we doing this? I think one of the best innovations in 3E was the idea that character attributes should increase as the PC gains experience. It makes sense that they would! In other OSR systems, I implement this idea as a fixed amount of points every few levels, but in this game we're going to embrace the DCC way and leave it up to the will of the dice gods.

We'll repeat this process whenever your characters level up. I call it the Zero-To-Hero Rule.

Good luck!

13 hours ago, cailano said:

PTSD doesn't generally make people evil...

Anyway.

ONE MORE THING, you guys. This isn't an official part of leveling up per the DCC rules, but I saw someone post about it in a forum, and I like it, so let's try it as a house rule.

Pick any attribute you want and roll 3d6. Compare the result to the following table and adjust your character sheet accordingly.

Roll Effect
3 You've suffered an injury that doesn't heal right. -1 to the selected attribute
Less Than Your Attribute Score No change
Greater or Equal to your Attribute Score +1 to the selected attribute
18 +2 to the selected attribute

Why are we doing this? I think one of the best innovations in 3E was the idea that character attributes should increase as the PC gains experience. It makes sense that they would! In other OSR systems, I implement this idea as a fixed amount of points every few levels, but in this game we're going to embrace the DCC way and leave it up to the will of the dice gods.

We'll repeat this process whenever your characters level up. I call it the Zero-To-Hero Rule.

Good luck!

I like it as well, 

your right about PTSD that was a bad example 

I'll repeat it in general questions:

We do not have wizards. Is there any other way to identify a magic item? (Though, even wizards do not do it, afaik)

The flail and the armour (?) emanate obvious power and belonged to a demon, what about anything else? How do we know?

2 hours ago, Dixi said:

I'll repeat it in general questions:

We do not have wizards. Is there any other way to identify a magic item? (Though, even wizards do not do it, afaik)

The flail and the armour (?) emanate obvious power and belonged to a demon, what about anything else? How do we know?

I do not think we have a way aside from testing, or paying some body. 

2 hours ago, Malkavian Grin said:

There was talk, somewhere (I can't find it), of Lyra changing from Thief to Wizard. I dunno where that landed. Lyra's sheet is still for Thief.

I was debating which way to go, but after reading a little on casting spells I realized it is exceptionally dangerous to be a wizard. If you use magic often you risk major failures and horrible side affects. So if you can't use magic a lot and you don't really gain much else, what is the point of being a wizard? This game is dangerous enough without risking killing your character everytime you cast a spell. 

15 minutes ago, Draidden said:

I was debating which way to go, but after reading a little on casting spells I realized it is exceptionally dangerous to be a wizard. If you use magic often you risk major failures and horrible side affects. So if you can't use magic a lot and you don't really gain much else, what is the point of being a wizard? This game is dangerous enough without risking killing your character everytime you cast a spell. 

I haven't looked into the magic, so I'll take your word for it. (makes me think it's even worse than WFRP) You can really die from just one spell? Like, your very first attempt at casting could be your last? XD

Still, wizards are fun, even if magic is dangerous. You just have to know when and where to risk it! Otherwise, it's ranged-attack time. I just know that not having someone that is familiar-ish with magic could (will) bite us in the ass eventually.

6 minutes ago, Malkavian Grin said:

I haven't looked into the magic, so I'll take your word for it. (makes me think it's even worse than WFRP) You can really die from just one spell? Like, your very first attempt at casting could be your last? XD

Still, wizards are fun, even if magic is dangerous. You just have to know when and where to risk it! Otherwise, it's ranged-attack time. I just know that not having someone that is familiar-ish with magic could (will) bite us in the ass eventually.

I thought I might try a wizard in this game but Molly's stats are just not good enough to be one.  In my opinion

Just now, Excior said:

I thought I might try a wizard in this game but Molly's stats are just not good enough to be one.  In my opinion

Fair point. Tabitha's not really suited to be a warrior, but here we are.

When everyone's stats are as bad as ours, we're not really good enough to be anything LOL.

Hence the Zero-to-Hero rule. Not that it helps much at the time of class selection.

In DCC, there's always a way to do everything. A lot of magic items can be figured out just by using them or spending time with them. Or you could pay someone to help if such a person is available.