Leveling Up - General Questions

cailano

5 hours ago, Dixi said:

Questions so far:

1. Do we keep our current Luck or does it reset?
2. If Draidden keeps Lyra, what would happen with Obraun?
3. Speaking of carrying things - can, say, Tabitha happens to grab Alphonse's weapon? Or someone else's?

1. Already answered.

2. Obraun would become one of those who fell overboard in the final scene. His fate would be unclear.

3. Nope. If you didn't post it, you didn't do it. One can hardly blame you, you were kind of running for your lives and you'd had a hard day.

So did we just save Hugo only to have him wash overboard?

I'm a little undecided about next steps. The logical course for Helge is a cleric, but I'm having trouble getting excited about spellcasters in DCC. I don't think I would enjoy the hit-or-miss mechanics. I'll go reread the rules.

5 hours ago, cailano said:

1. Already answered.

2. Obraun would become one of those who fell overboard in the final scene. His fate would be unclear.

3. Nope. If you didn't post it, you didn't do it. One can hardly blame you, you were kind of running for your lives and you'd had a hard day.

1. Did not see it in this topic, I'll check other.

2&3. Tabitha has no weapon. But Obraun picked up the magical flail. Technically, I posted first about Thugnar picking it up as well as armour. Can we keep the thing? 🙂 There is some poetic justice in it too - the very same weapon that killed Alphonse now is used to bring vengeance upon all evil in the world.

13 hours ago, cailano said:

I don't have any preferences, it's up to you guys what you play.

One of the main reasons I was thinking thief was because after looking into the wizard, casting of spells is very dangerous. While the spells can be awesome if they succeed, you could major league nerf your wizard if you get bad rolls. As a thief you can dabble in magic if you wish to, but you have lots of other skills to fall back on in the mean time.

And I assume that we cannot change alignment? I believe there was something mentioned about that being bad juju for the character.

As for what happens to Obraun, my understanding is he gets put on a shelf. And in the event that Lyra bites the big one, then he hops off and rejoins the crew. Basically it gives me a backup character in case my current one dies. So I am working on leveling both of them up.

I am curious about the flail. If it is magical, how do we determine that and what exactly its powers are. Obviously the "If" was rhetorical as the minute he grabbed it he felt powerful.

As for why Obraun got it instead of Thugnar, I believe that falls under the fact that you mentioned grabbing the armor to try to use it to help transport Alphonse. So you seemed a little more interested in the armor. And I am guessing that picking up the pieces of armor took the whole rounds actions so Obraun just happened to get to it first. 

I guess the big question with the armor is can it be resized to fit a dwarf as it was on what was described as a towering person. Not sure how DCC handles that type of stuff. 

Molly has the following ability scores

Str 4, Agi 14, Sta 12, Per 12 Int 11, Luc 11

I do not have much choice but to go thief with this character, Bar is not much better in his abilities but he suffered a -1 to Stamina from the flail attack of Mulan 

2 hours ago, Draidden said:

One of the main reasons I was thinking thief was because after looking into the wizard, casting of spells is very dangerous. While the spells can be awesome if they succeed, you could major league nerf your wizard if you get bad rolls...

Oh yes. The dark arts are a double-edged blade. DCC does that better than any system I can think of.

39 minutes ago, Excior said:

would Molly make a good wizard? 

I am just going to become a level 1 thief 

so I rolled a 5 with no Stamina bonus this gives me a total of 8 HP

with that -2 to hit rolls he might be better off becoming a Wizard because that -2 is going to limit his backstabbing with the sword a lot I would think. 

gained 2 for luck ( Did Molly use any luck I do not think he did if he did please remind me of his current total) otherwise his new luck score is  13

Edited by Excior (see edit history)
Name
rolling 1st level hit points to add to existing HP
1d6 5
luck for gaining level 1
1d4 2

2 hours ago, Draidden said:

As for what happens to Obraun, my understanding is he gets put on a shelf.

Actually, I think everyone that isn't a PC now ends up thrown overboard (including all of their stuff, like that flail). Hard to see how we could use them in later adventures after that.

3 hours ago, Draidden said:

And I assume that we cannot change alignment? I believe there was something mentioned about that being bad juju for the character.

I haven't read the rules on this, but I'd think perhaps going from 0 to 1st level might be one of the few times it could be allowed. But that's for @cailano to answer for sure. In general, I believe you're locked in.

5 hours ago, Dixi said:

1. Did not see it in this topic, I'll check other.

2&3. Tabitha has no weapon. -- the very same weapon that killed Alphonse now is used to bring vengeance upon all evil in the world.

See here. Luck stays the same but at the end of the adventure we get to add 1d4. 

And I do have a weapon, it's just a crappy 1d4 knife. I would love to be using that flail for The Revengening.