Selena, (im)PURE sniper

Abalon

SelenaPH.jpg.7a0ea5458d7f9abd88bdea5d3109df6d.jpgSelena the Slayer

Basic Information: An ex-PURE sniper, she left after getting Corrupted and almost killed herself. She tries to help other Corrupted as a mean to atone, but keeps her past a secret for obvious reasons. With definitive proof that the PURE are full of BS, she's determined to survive and take as many of their leaders as she can.

A Description of Your Character's Appearance:  An athletic woman, about 5'10. She's often covered in layers of dark fabric and leather from her outfit, so it's hard to tell what she looks like underneath. Even her face isn't a given, due to her gas mask. Under everything her body is... odd. She's not sure how to describe it besides "dark red", "unnatural" and "confusingly painless". She's often seen carrying a scoped rifle around.

A Description of Your Character's Personality and Demeanor: Pretty taciturn, she takes incredible care of all of her personal items, and sometimes offers to help organize stockpiles. When she's not out scavenging or hunting (be it animal or man), she often keeps watch over the camp, sleeping in short intervals rather than full nights. An interesting quirk is that she insists on burying people, be they recently killed or the initial victims of The Turning. The PURE do not get this kindness however. Whenever someone asks about her background, she gets paranoiac and quiet, sometimes straight up refusing to talk and ignoring the person

A Background Summary: 

Selena's father was a retired sniper, and him and his spotter buddy were happy telling her about all the ridiculous things they survived. Granted they left a lot out, since some of them were just plain awful. She grew to idealize them and she was often seen using toy guns in the backyard, even as a teenager. The "Little Sniper" eventually grew up to be a hunter and a terror in the gun range, about to settle down with her own house. But of course, life had other plans, and The Turning happened

Her entire family died in front of her, and at first she thought it was some sort of collective heart attack. But after getting no response from 911, and seeing the chaos outside, she realized that whatever happened was infinitely worse than she thought. So, with her family's arsenal, she hunkered down for the initial hell to pass. Sadly it was just the beginning of her problems, as the survivors were quickly enamored with the PURE's philosophy, and she ended up having to join them in order to not be ostracized or killed

At first she did believe that the Corrupted were to be killed. Not because they were the cause of everything, but because they were a danger to everyone. People can already kill others easily, and some can breathe fire now? Yeah, not taking any chances. But as she kept working for the PURE, and the notches on her rifle accumulated, she started to wonder if they were a bit harsh. Maybe not all of them were dangerous? Maybe they were just victims of fate too? Perhaps they could also become Knights? But she didn't voice those concerns, knowing what might happen. And so, she kept using her impressive gunplay to eliminate the Corrupted, which she started to secretly call the Changed

But it got even worse, because one day, her hands started to shift. What she thought was a boil started to expand, spreading to other parts of her body. And she realises that it was her turn to be Changed. In a panic, she hid it from everyone but it eventually ended up being revealed while on a patrol. At first she tried bargaining. After all she's done, were they seriously going to kill her on the spot? When she saw the glinting of knives, she got her answer, and she gave her own. While she was severely hurt, none of them lived to tell the tale of her real nature

Now she roams, alone, hiding her body and herself from sight, struggling under the weight of her crimes, fearing the PURE and wondering if there was a place for her in this world

Edited by Abalon (see edit history)

• 4 weeks later...

A few days left to finish up them bones if you want to get into the first lottery. (You can polish up details afterward)

Let me know if you need help figuring out a character sheet or whatever else.

Otherwise, you're welcome to finish at any time for future lotteries for when we need to replace the slain characters.

• 3 months later...

Were you unable to post? Sorry about that. I must've set the game to the wrong setting. I want people to be able to continue to apply. I guess I just need to set the individual IC forums to private. (still learning the new system)

Baghat's player has been removed from the game. I'll run him as an NPC for a very short period before he sees demise.

1 hour ago, Abalon said:

Aww, I liked the bard

God if that's how my character is introduced that would be horrible, please do it

Lol. I liked the bard too.

The next draft will likely be in a few days, so get a sheet and character picture together, so I can add you to the lottery.

Edited by Eborne1 (see edit history)

On 9/28/2023 at 6:00 PM, Eborne1 said:

FYI... The next lottery will be held on the 1st or 2nd. Let me know if you want to enter and if you need any help figuring out a character sheet and picture for Selena.

I'm gonna come in with Selena again. I already have the sheet so now I just need to find a picture and... write the backstory I forgot to write last time

God damnit me you're annoying

Btw I invented the "PURE Knight" thing since last time you said I could make it up, and it sounds like something they'd call themselves. I'm fine with renaming it if need be

Also why did I misremember the Corrupted as the Changed? Whatever it's going in the lore

Didn't notice all of the extra homebrew earlier, thankfully I should have put everything back in its place. Not the biggest fan of the image but it'll make a good placeholder until I find better

Edited by Abalon (see edit history)

After some thinking, I'm fine with changing her rebellion so it was recent, or she's still with the PURE (as a patrol member or watchman) at the time of introduction and the encounter with the PCs is the final straw for her. You decide, I'm fine with both

All Corrupted have some easily noticeable physical characteristics that cause them to stand out as being "Corrupted". So I would say that hers must be something that emerged more slowly over time. Perhaps hers became more apparent as she learned more and more about them and realized she'd been brain-washed. Perhaps she even came to know one and had secret rendezvous with them and together they sussed out her true nature, leading to some internal or external conflict.

I don't think at this point, she'd still be able to be a PURE soldier, unless she were intentionally using powers of disguise.

Yeah I did think of something like that. Could be interesting to workshop

As for disguise well she already has some decent abilities in that, and the Corruption only affects her skin, she doesn't grow horns or something dramatic. I could see her make up a bs reason why she covers most of her body at all times and the others following it... I mean, she's one of PURE's best soldiers, of course she's not Corrupted! *coughcough*

Also you really gonna argue with the quiet dude who can shoot your head off from a kilometer away? (Not even joking. Unless my math is wrong, if I use Hunter's Sight and everything else I could do that with only -3 in range penalty base, so +5.)

Then again, you're the boss. Plus I haven't been chosen