OOC Thread II: Judgment Day

Morph3us

Less than stellar on the climb attempt. And looking at the climbing kit I realize it's much less useful than I remembered, haha. For some reason I thought it gave advantage on climb checks, but it only keeps you from falling more than 25 feet, which in this gravity who knows how much fall damage that is, haha.

I was looking for a way to get advantage, but I don't really see anything.

@foxtrot636: I checked out of curiosity. If you fall 25' in normal gravity you reach just over 40 ft/s. In like 30% higher gravity you reach just over 46 ft/s. That's not quite as fast as fast as from falling 35' in normal gravity instead. So, it would only add +1d6.

https://www.omnicalculator.com/physics/free-fall

@Guardian3404: Looks like Gundin takes a little bit of damage too but then makes it on the second attempt. I think you only have the one rope but with 50' of it you can tie multiple people together with some slack in between each.

Unrelated:

My wife caught a stomach bug but is recovering fast. I don't think it will delay me from whenever I am next needed to post in-game.

Name
Damage
2d6 4,1

One swift recovery later, I am back!

I decided against the heavy gravity giving disadvantage after re-reading the climb rules. The reason is this ascent wouldn't be especially challenging in normal gravity: It's above the spray from the waves and the surface is plenty rough with options for handholds. Under normal gravity that means it wouldn't even need a check at all.

You're right that the climber's kit doesn't give advantage to a solo climber or stop from falling far enough to hurt. But, when Bhalgurn gets up to the top, maybe he could use it to make the climb much safer for the others. That would mean tossing the harness part down, anchoring it up top, and helping belay them.

• 4 weeks later...

"Do ya get the sense o' anythin' magical in the vicinity?" Bhalgurn asked Kutaeg and Grommash. "Not sure I believe in ghosts, but chairs don't rock themselves where I'm from..."

Kutaeg's spells are on his sheet but I don't see Grommash's. @Guardian3404 did you pick them out for today?

@Guardian3404 let me know he got a bit busy and is having trouble finding a routine to check in on MW. Maybe we should NPC him until he sorts it out?

For his spells, maybe the below, trying to pick stuff that work well based on artificer flavor, but whatever you think is good will work for @andersone81 and me.

Battle Smith spells: (lvl3) heroism and shield, (lvl5) branding smite and warding bond.

lvl 1 spells:

Faerie Fire, catapult, detect magic, snare

lvl 2 spells:

Arcane lock, heat metal, rope trick, web

Thanks for the heads up!

No objection to any of the choices.

At 7th level and with a +4 Int, I think he can only prepare 7/2+4=7 spells. You list 8 besides the Battle Smith ones. Am I missing something?

You prepare the list of artificer spells that are available for you to cast, choosing from the artificer spell list. When you do so, choose a number of artificer spells equal to your Intelligence modifier + half your artificer level, rounded down (minimum of one spell).