OOC Chat

TheRealSife

I think this would be a good time to introduce the concept of Story Points. In the Adventure Tab you will see that there is a thread called Story Point tracker, currently there are 4 Player points and 1 Game Master point.

Story points are a powerful resource that you can spend in three ways:

1. Upgrade your dice pool once for one skill check. This means one green ability die would be upgraded to a yellow proficiency die, or if your dice are all yellow already you would add one green die.

2. Upgrade the difficulty of an enemy's skill check once. This means one purple difficulty die becomes a red challenge die, etc.

3. Introduce facts and additional context into the story. This is really up to your imagination, some common examples would be to introduce terrain features, make something really improbably and lucky occur, just happen to have brought along piece of gear you need for something, or make it so that you and an NPC actually know each other and have some history together. This is a very versatile tool, and basically all you have to do is let me know what you have in mind and if it isn't too crazy I'll probably say go for it.

As the Game Master I can also spend story points to do each of these things

Story points are never gone, but once you guys spend a point it gets added to my pool and when I spend a point it gets added to your pool. So as we play the points are meant to flow back and forth between the players and the game master.

17 hours ago, Ipphli said:

So I think Chel is going to attempt to talk to the shady characters. What’s my difficulty?

So, Chelliyxx's difficulty is Hard (3 purple difficulty dice), but I am going to spend my story point to upgrade the difficulty to 2 purple difficulty dice and 1 red Challenge die.

Feel free to spend a point to upgrade Chelliyxx's roll as well or you can save the points for later.

Oh yeah, I remember reading about these. A very cool mechanic! If I recall, Savage Worlds has something similar. Could've been a different rules-lite system.

So, my question from before still stands (as it could impact this roll): How long can you hold onto Advancements? I definitely want to heal a bit, but I could use one to give Chelly a boost die (since it looks like he'll need it!).

1 hour ago, Malkavian Grin said:

Oh yeah, I remember reading about these. A very cool mechanic! If I recall, Savage Worlds has something similar. Could've been a different rules-lite system.

So, my question from before still stands (as it could impact this roll): How long can you hold onto Advancements? I definitely want to heal a bit, but I could use one to give Chelly a boost die (since it looks like he'll need it!).

Ah sorry missed this. Generally you have to spend advantage right away.

As to your earlier question about the in-game justification for taking or healing strain damage from rolls, you can think of it like getting stressed out which effects your will to go on. So earlier you may have succeeded in your knowledge roll, but maybe the things you recalled were troubling to you, stuff like that.

Sorry, meant Advantage not Advancement. I think I'm going to go ahead and be greedy and heal 2 Strain.

Okay, I'll try to keep that in mind for future rolls. I guess it makes sense, but I was just a little thrown from basically "taking damage" on a simple roll. I guess I have a lot to learn about Genesys. I suppose that means there's no such thing as a meaningless roll?

Yeah, you gain and lose Strain very quickly and easily. For a perception roll, could just be that you're so focused on your subject that you're less able to respond to other things. Since you're more likely to get lots of Threat (leading to Strain) on a difficult check and lots of Advantage when it's easier relative to your skill level, maybe it's easier to think of it as more "mental focus available" rather than "damage".

Okay, that was a fun post for me to write! I usually don't "get" politics but something about this setting is just very appealing.

Karrik is trying to prove his point of technical correctness and hoping to sway these people with reason and deduction. I don't know if I'm allowed to roll here, but I included Leadership since he's not trying to intimidate them or anything. He's trying to assert his authority as Keleres. I didn't include difficulty yet, and will add however much is warranted (again, if the roll is valid).

13 hours ago, Malkavian Grin said:

Karrik is trying to prove his point of technical correctness and hoping to sway these people with reason and deduction. I don't know if I'm allowed to roll here, but I included Leadership since he's not trying to intimidate them or anything. He's trying to assert his authority as Keleres. I didn't include difficulty yet, and will add however much is warranted (again, if the roll is valid).

Yeah you can definitely roll. Difficulty to sway these guys with words is Hard (3 purple difficulty die)

8 minutes ago, eltorin said:

Net zero, again, I have a hard time believing that. 😞

Seriously! At least Pelpionne can still try.

I need to go back and look, but I wonder if a Story Point might be in order somehow...

Karrik looks through the fine print of the contract and sees a loophole, pointing to how the repo company serves as a subsidiary of such and such and thus are subject to some vague Federation ruling. 😉 Could be interesting. But let's wait and see what Intro does.

1 hour ago, Malkavian Grin said:

Seriously! At least Pelpionne can still try.

I need to go back and look, but I wonder if a Story Point might be in order somehow...

Karrik looks through the fine print of the contract and sees a loophole, pointing to how the repo company serves as a subsidiary of such and such and thus are subject to some vague Federation ruling. 😉 Could be interesting. But let's wait and see what Intro does.

Success with a Triumph. Respect the power of snitching! 🙂

(Extra bonus ideas: secret spacer charts for the area we're going, up-to-date info, recent sightings that didn't hit the Council's radar, etc.?)

Edited by Intro (see edit history)

ร—
ร—