Chapter 01c: When Home Burns (A Parting Gift & the Kingfisher Festival)

Kamishiro_Rin

image.png.f43e797dc98446c97baef5b972307405.pngArtanis Brightblade

Human Knight of Solamnia 

AC: 18 (Chainmail, Shield) | HP: 15/15 (0 THP) | Speed: 30 ft.
Senses: passive Perception 11, Insight 13, Investigation 9
StrSave: +3
Athletics: +5

Carrying Capacity: 255 lb.
Lift/Push/Drag: 510 lb.
:
17 (+3) | DexInitiative: +2★
Save: −1
Acrobatics: −1
Slight-of-Hand: −1
Stealth: −1☆
★ Add Cha to Initiative (class feature)
☆ disadvantage on Dexterity (Stealth) checks from Chainmail Armor.
:
 8 (–1) | ConSave: +1: 13 (+1) | IntSave: -1
Arcana: -1
History: -1
Investigation: -1
Nature: -1
Religion: -1
:
 8 (-1) | WisSave: +3
Animal Handling: +3
Insight: +3
Medicine: +1
Perception: +1
Survival: +3
:
12 (+1) | ChaSave: +5
Deception: +3
Intimidation: +5
Performance: +3
Persuasion: +5
:
16 (+3)

Languages: You can speak, read, and write Common and Solamnic

DR3 vs nonmagical bludgeoning, slashing, piercing

My words,  | My thoughts,’  | My actions . . .

Artanis listens to both Decimus and Mery's replies carefully. "I don't really have any evidence, just some rumours I'd heard is all. About a specific renegade Aghar that is, and, well, I don't know all that many who do any form of magic. Who knows, perhaps the rumours were wrong entirely, or perhaps it's just not Huuni they were about. I just didn't want to end up in a difficult situation, so I thought I'd ask Decimus here quietly before sparking off any uncomfortable situations, what with him being part of the order as well." He chuckles awkwardly. "Although I seem to have done just the opposite. Still, I'm grateful for your clarification Decimus. Maybe I'll hear her story in time Mery - as long as there's no present danger though, that's what I cared about."

Artanis listens to Becklin carefully in anticipation of the box opening. When she reveals what's inside, his eyes widen and he finds a hand drifting forward to touch it almost reverently before he catches himself. It was just as he remembered, propped up against the barn, nary a mark on it. 

Hearing his name on Modri's lips shakes him from his reverie. "I... would be honoured to bear Ispin's shield" he manages to utter with awe. "Certainly for the re-enactment at least." His eyes sparkle with growing excitement as he continues "I can well imagine why Ispin would have enjoyed it, playing out those glorious battles of old sounds fantastic - a chance to be part of the glories of history! Probably the only chance we'll get these days anyway. Not that smaller fights are any less worthy, but..."

He brushes a hand over it, tracing the trees many branches. "So many found shelter beneath him, of all kinds. It seems wrong to keep it rooted in one place. Perhaps we can, between us, keep it travelling as Ispin did? Each bear it home for several seasons to keep his memory alive?" How exactly the logistics of such would work with each of their origins so far flung, and half their party itinerant at that, was clearly not something the young knight had considered. "I'll make sure it's right front and centre of the charge for today - hopefully I can provide a show even he would be proud of!"

OOC

Action: 

Bonus Action: 

Movement: 

Reaction: 

Object Interaction: 

Actions & Resources

Actions:

Longsword (versatile). Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 7 (1d8 + 3) slashing damage. Versatile damage: 8 (1d10 + 3) slashing damage.

Javelin (range, thrown) [3]. Thrown Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, ranged 30/120 ft., one target. Hit: 6 (1d6 + 3) piercing damage.

Battlefield Presence.When you take the Attack action, in place of making an attack, you can use your Battlefield Presence to grant a friendly creature that can see or hear you an additional attack the next time they take the Attack action during their turn. Any additional attacks granted that are unused at the start of your next turn are lost. A friendly creature can only gain one additional attack from this feature per round from this feature.

Bonus Actions:

Rallying Mark As a bonus action, you can expend a number of Leadership Dice (up to your per turn limit) to rally your allies to attack a hostile creature within 60 feet of you.

The next time damage is rolled against that target by an allied creature before the start of your next turn, they can add the Leadership Dice to the damage roll, and the attacking creature regains hit points equal to the amount rolled on the Leadership Dice.

Urgent Orders As a bonus action, you can expend a number of Leadership Dice (up to your per turn limit) to guide your allies in expeditious action.

Target an allied creature within 60 feet of you that can see or hear you, that creature can immediately use its reaction to move up to its movement speed (up to a maximum of 30 feet) without provoking opportunity attacks. Roll the leadership dice expended, the target gains temporary hit points equal to the value rolled.

Helpful Word As a bonus action, you can spend a Leadership Die to take the Help action. When you use the Help action to aid an ally in attacking a creature, the target of that attack can be within 30 feet of you, rather than within 5 feet of you, if your ally can see or hear you.

Class Features:

Precise Strike. 2/2 (Long Rest)

Leadership Dice (d6). 2/2 (Short Rest, 1/turn)

Lead the Charge. When you roll initiative you gain temporary hit points equal to your Charisma modifier + your proficiency bonus (5 THP).

spacer.png                       Meryelle "Mery" Keryndon

Level 2 Half-Elf Sage College of Lore Bard

AC: 13 (Leather Armor) | HP: 17/17 | Speed: 30 ft.
Senses:  Darkvision 60 ft; Passive Perception 11, Passive Insight 11, Passive Investigation 14
Str:Save: -1
Athletics: +0

Carrying Capacity: 120 lb.
Lift/Push/Drag: 240 lb.
8 (-1) | Dex:Initiative: +2
Save: +4
Acrobatics: +2
Slight-of-Hand: +2
Stealth: +2
14 (+4) | Con:Save: +2 14 (+2) | Int:Save: +2
Arcana: +4
History: +4
Investigation: +4
Nature: +3
Religion: +3
14 (+2) | Wis:Save: +0
Animal Handling: +1
Insight: +1
Survival: +1
11 (+0) | Cha:Save: +5
Deception: +5
Performance: +5
16 (+5)

Languages:  Common, Elven, Solamnic, Kharolian, and Draconic
Spell-casting: +5 or DC 131st 2/2

“My words,” | ‘My thoughts,’  | My actions

Mery tells Artanis, "You had good intentions.  I suppose it is I who made things awkward by intruding upon your good deed.  I apologize.  But before you hear her story, I need to speak to you privately.  Later is fine for that."

She tells Decimus, "In the back of my mind, I had considered Hunni as a possible subject for a book about people who overcome.  I'd need some of those questions I mentioned answered first before I could commit to it.  There's one particular question I have that you are uniquely equipped to find the answer to.  Perhaps we can talk about that later."

spacer.png

With the revealing of Ispin's green shield, Mery smiles in fond reminiscence, remembering it propped up against the wall that night he had had dinner with her family and a few of the tall tales Ispin had told in which the shield played a prominent role, including, she thought, the one Kai had mentioned.

When Artanis claims the shield, she nods approvingly.  "A good choice for the shield's new owner - someone who can put it to plenty of use."

She walks over to Darrett and says, "I prefer using a shortbow when I fight, and I use my rapier only when I must fight in close quarters, which I'm really not that well-suited for.  How are y'all handling archers?  I'm thinking that arrows that can actually wound someone are likely not the best choice for a re-enactment."

OOC

Action:  

Bonus Action: —

Movement: —

Reaction:

Actions & Resources

Actions:

Shortbow (simple, ranged, ammunition, two-handed). Ranged Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, ranged 80/320 ft., one target.
                                                                                   Hit:  (1d6 + 2) piercing damage. 

Dagger (light, ranged or melee). Ranged Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, ranged 20/80 ft., one target.
                                                   Hit: (1d4 + 2) piercing damage.
                                                                   Melee Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target.

Hit: (1d4+2) piercing damage.

Bonus Actions:

Healing Word

A creature of your choice that you can see within range regains hit points equal to 1d4 + your spellcasting ability modifier. This spell has no effect on undead or constructs.

At Higher Levels. When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 2nd level or higher, the healing increases by 1d4 for each slot level above 1st.

Bardic Inspiration (3 per long rest, for 1d6)

As a bonus action, a creature (other than yourself) within 60 ft. that can hear you gains an inspiration die (1d6). For 10 minutes, the creature can add it to one ability check, attack roll, or saving throw. This can be added after seeing the roll, but before knowing the outcome.

Ammunition:

20 arrows in quiver, 3 arrow bundles in backpack.

Spellcasting:

Mery is a 1st-level spellcaster. Her spellcasting ability is Charisma (spell save DC 13, +5 to hit with spell attacks). She has the following bards available for spontaneous casting from her first level slots: 

• Cantrips (2/2 slots): prestidigitation, vicious mockery
  • 1st level (3/3 slots): healing word, hideous laughter, cure wounds

Class Features:

• 3/3 Bardic Inspiration
  • Song of Rest (Use on any short rest - anyone who hears her performance and chooses to regain a hit die gains an extra 1d6 of HP.)
  • Jack of All Trades (add 1/2 proficiency bonus, rounded down, to any ability check you make that doesn't already include your proficiency bonus.)

OOC

OOC comments, if I have them, go here.

Edited by tbgg (see edit history)

Your visit to Vogler overlaps with the kickoff of the Kingfisher Festival, an annual celebration commemorating Solamnia’s victory over the forces of Istar during a clash near the town centuries ago. The festival takes its name from the kingfisher, a symbol of the Knights of Solamnia and a bird the fishers of Vogler consider lucky. Festivities culminate with the locals’ reenactment of the Battle of High Hill, a clash between Istarian and Solamnic soldiers.

When you return to town after visiting Thornwall Keep, the Kingfisher Festival is in full swing. Happy villagers drift from their homes toward the sounds of laughter and upbeat music at the village circle.

Colorful banners and paper decorations shaped like kingfishers decorate the village circle. Temporary stalls sell food and colorful crafts, and in the center of the circle, an ancient tree provides shade for happy picnickers. From a temporary stage, a band of local musicians brings a spirited song to a close as Mayor Raven Uth Vogler takes the stage.

You arrive at the center of town, by following Darrett’s lead, just in time to hear Mayor Raven Uth Vogler address the crowd: “Welcome, friends!” the mayor begins, raising her arms high. “Welcome to the Kingfisher Festival!”

Cheers and applause fill the circle. The mayor smiles widely. “Today is a day of not only revelry but also reflection. We are all here thanks to the courage of heroes who came before us. Let us honor our founders, our family, and all those who can’t be here to celebrate today. Enjoy your festival, Vogler, with good spirits, good times, and good friends! And look to the kingfishers for good luck!”

An energetic round of cheers follows the mayor’s words. With that, the Kingfisher Festival is officially underway.

Vogler’s village circle is the heart of the Kingfisher Festival’s events. Here, townsfolk share food and drink while a rotating series of enthusiastic local musicians take to the stage and encourage the crowd to dance. From the various stalls in the circle, You can buy a variety of fish-filled pastries, sweet drinks, and kingfisher-shaped crafts for 3 cp each.

spacer.png
The people of Vogler celebrate during the Kingfisher Festival

Traditional Kingfisher Festival events commemorate Vogler’s founding and history.

“I’m going to sign up for the season’s inaugural fish catch, where fishers try to catch the biggest fish during a set period!” Darret says. “Wanna join in?”

You can also carouse in the village circle, volunteer to perform on the festival stage, or socialize with locals.

Fish Catch

Traffic flows steadily from the village circle to the wharf. Here, the fish catch pits amateur fishers against the community’s best anglers, all competing to catch the largest fish. Those of you who go to the wharf are invited to participate in this popular event and, if you accept, you’re lent fishing poles and bait. At the end of each 30-minute contest, participants are given charming trophies, but bragging rights are the real prize at stake.

Edited by Kamishiro_Rin (see edit history)

21 hours ago, tbgg said:

She walks over to Darrett and says, "I prefer using a shortbow when I fight, and I use my rapier only when I must fight in close quarters, which I'm really not that well-suited for.  How are y'all handling archers?  I'm thinking that arrows that can actually wound someone are likely not the best choice for a re-enactment."

Darrett looks at her and scratches his head a moment. “Um . . . I mean . . . it is a reenactment . . . so obviously it’d be too dangerous to be shooting real arrows. If you’re asking where to get the safety arrows we use, those’ll be provided. They’re tipped with bouncy bulbs and painted bright colors that mark the ‘sides’ in the battle, and make it easy for the audience to see.”

spacer.pngColtan Bluetemper

Level 2 Neidar Folk Hero Forge Cleric

AC: 16/18 (Chain Mail +2 Shield) | HP: 21/21 (2d8+6+2) | Speed: 25 ft.
Senses: Darkvision 60 ft., Passive Perception 15, Insight 13, Investigation 12
StrSave: +2

Carrying Capacity: 210 lb.
Lift/Push/Drag: 420 lb.
:
14 (+2) | DexInitiative: −1

☆ Chain mail gives disadvantage
:
8 (–1) | ConSave: +3: 16 (+3) | IntSave: +0

Arcana: +0
History: +0
Investigation: +2
Nature: +0
Religion: +2
:
10 (+0) | WisSave: +5

Animal Handling: +5
Medicine: +3
Perception: +5
Survival: +5
:
16 (+3) | ChaSave: +2

Deception: +0
Intimidation: +0
Performance: +0
Persuasion: +2
:
10 (+0)

Languages: Speak, read, and write Common and Dwarvish

Coltan nods at Artanis bearing the Greenshield and follows Darrett to the festival.

At the offer of going fishing, the dwarf replies, "I wouldn't enjoy fishing. Enjoy. I'll wander the festival until the battle." He wishes the fishers the best of luck and heads to tour the festival with anyone else who wants to join him.

OOC

Action: Preceive

Bonus Action:

Movement:

Reaction:

Use Object:

Actions and Resources

Actions

+1 Holy Warhammer (versatile). Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target.
Hit: 1d8 + 3 magic, fire damage.
Versatile damage: 1d10 + 3 magic, fire damage.

Handaxe (light, thrown). Melee & Ranged Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, ranged 20/60 ft., one target.
Hit: 1d6 + 2 slashing damage.

Dagger (light, thrown). Melee & Ranged Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, ranged 20/60 ft., one target.
Hit: 1d4 + 2 piercing damage.

Spell-casting: +5 or DC 13 | 1st 3/3

Cantrips

1. Sacred Flame (V, S). Spell Attack: Dex DC 13, ranged 60 ft., one target.  Fail: 1d8 radiant damage.
  2. Word of Radiance (V, M). Spell Attack: Con DC 13, ranged 5 ft., each creature of your choice. Fail: 1d6 radiant damage.
  3. Light (V,M).  You touch one object that is no larger than 10 feet in any dimension. Until the spell ends, the object sheds bright light in a 20-foot radius and dim light for an additional 20 feet. The light can be colored as you like. Completely covering the object with something opaque blocks the light. The spell ends if you cast it again or dismiss it as an action.  If you target an object held or worn by a hostile creature, that creature must succeed on a Dexterity saving throw to avoid the spell.

1st level spells prepared

1. Bless (V,S,M).  You bless up to three creatures of your choice within 30 ft. Whenever a target makes an attack roll or a saving throw before the spell ends, the target can roll a d4 and add the number rolled to the attack roll or saving throw.  Concentration up to 1 minute.
  2. Cure Wounds (V,S).  A creature you touch regains a number of hit points equal to 1d8 + your spellcasting ability modifier. This spell has no effect on undead or constructs.
  3. Detect Magic (V,S) Ritual. For the duration, you sense the presence of magic within 30 feet of you. If you sense magic in this way, you can use your action to see a faint aura around any visible creature or object in the area that bears magic, and you learn its school of magic, if any.  The spell can penetrate most barriers, but it is blocked by 1 foot of stone, 1 inch of common metal, a thin sheet of lead, or 3 feet of wood or dirt.  Concentration up to 10 minutes.
  4. Healing Word (V) Bonus.  A creature of your choice that you can see within range regains hit points equal to 1d4 + your spellcasting ability modifier. This spell has no effect on undead or constructs.
  5. Guiding Bolt (V,S).  Make a ranged spell attack against the target within 120 feet. On a hit, the target takes 4d6 radiant damage, and the next attack roll made against this target before the end of your next turn has advantage

Channel Divinity: 1/1 short rest

Turn Undead.  Expend a use of your Channel Divinity as an action to make each undead that can see or hear you within 30 feet of you to make a Wisdom DC 13. If the creature fails its saving throw, it is turned for 1 minute or until it takes any damage.

Harness Divine Power.  As a bonus action, expend a use of your Channel Divinity to regain one expended spell slot, the level of which can be no higher than half your proficiency bonus (rounded up).

Name
Perception (spot signs of Reorx)
1d20+5 8

Human Knight of Solamnia 

:
:
:
:
:
16 (+3)

Artanis beams as he joins the crowd at the official opening, raising Ispin's shield proudly on his arm with his own cheer adding to the voices. Their good mood is infectious, even if the day hadn't already had him glowing. He walks proudly through the stalls, Solamnic regalia shining, and helps himself to the offered libations with generous tip. At Garret's invitation, he elbows the boisterous Kai. "Here, bet you've never fished like this before, fancy giving it a go?" His digs through his tabard pocket for a few coins, and points to the makeshift wooden bar nestled in the shade. "I'll give you a pint of Yalme's finest you can't land anything bigger than a minnow! Smallest fish buys the first round?" He looks around the rest of the group as Coltan disappears into the crowd, "anyone else want in on this? Kai here's got deep pockets," he adds with an exaggerated wink and elbow. Artanis is clearly having fun as he follows Darret over to collect one of the rods, giving a few experimental casts that quickly reveal absolutely no natural talent. "Hmmm, good whip to this one, I'll take it. No cheating now you hear Kai - I want to see both feet on the ground at all times!" With that, he sits down o the dock, dangling his own legs over the water, and tries to pick up a few tips from the old salt next to him.

OOC

Action: 

Bonus Action: 

Movement: 

Reaction: 

Object Interaction: 

Actions & Resources

Actions:

Longsword (versatile). Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 7 (1d8 + 3) slashing damage. Versatile damage: 8 (1d10 + 3) slashing damage.

Javelin (range, thrown) [3]. Thrown Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, ranged 30/120 ft., one target. Hit: 6 (1d6 + 3) piercing damage.

Battlefield Presence.When you take the Attack action, in place of making an attack, you can use your Battlefield Presence to grant a friendly creature that can see or hear you an additional attack the next time they take the Attack action during their turn. Any additional attacks granted that are unused at the start of your next turn are lost. A friendly creature can only gain one additional attack from this feature per round from this feature.

Bonus Actions:

Rallying Mark As a bonus action, you can expend a number of Leadership Dice (up to your per turn limit) to rally your allies to attack a hostile creature within 60 feet of you.

The next time damage is rolled against that target by an allied creature before the start of your next turn, they can add the Leadership Dice to the damage roll, and the attacking creature regains hit points equal to the amount rolled on the Leadership Dice.

Urgent Orders As a bonus action, you can expend a number of Leadership Dice (up to your per turn limit) to guide your allies in expeditious action.

Target an allied creature within 60 feet of you that can see or hear you, that creature can immediately use its reaction to move up to its movement speed (up to a maximum of 30 feet) without provoking opportunity attacks. Roll the leadership dice expended, the target gains temporary hit points equal to the value rolled.

Helpful Word As a bonus action, you can spend a Leadership Die to take the Help action. When you use the Help action to aid an ally in attacking a creature, the target of that attack can be within 30 feet of you, rather than within 5 feet of you, if your ally can see or hear you.

Class Features:

Lead the Charge. When you roll initiative you gain temporary hit points equal to your Charisma modifier + your proficiency bonus (5 THP).

;                       Meryelle "Mery" Keryndon

Senses:  Darkvision 60 ft; Passive Perception 11, Passive Insight 11, Passive Investigation 14

16 (+5)

Mery tells Darrett, "Yes, safety arrows were exactly what I was wondering about, and since it sounds like I can get some, I'll join in with the archers for the re-enactment.  Thank you."

She then tells her companions, "I'm going to take a round or two supporting the musicians, then I'm going to teach them a little dance we do in Palanthas."  She pulls out her pan flute as she walks over to the musicians' stage, playing an experimental scale as she walks to make sure the instrument sounds as expected.  Sure enough, it does, and as she nears the stage, she recognizes the song being played.  Raising the pipes to her lips, she begins a spritely harmony.  The lutenist seems to be in charge of the group, and his twinkling eyes seem to offer a clear invitation to join.  Grinning widely, she steps up onto the temporary stage and joins in the playing until this group of musicians makes to swap out for a new group.

As the groups are changing, she tells the new leader, a human man in his mid-30s with warm brown eyes, "Let me teach them a little dance step, then when I signal you, start playing My Kalaman Girl.  Or, if you don't know that one, anything in 4/4 time with a catchy rhythm will do."

When the musicians indicate that they do know My Kalaman Girl, she nods and steps off of the stage, calling out, "Hey Vogler, how would all of you like to learn a little dance step we do in the big city of Palanthas?  You don't need a partner, you just need yourself, and this is one even your kids can do.  So come on kids, it's time to show your parents how it's done!"  When a group of people of all ages comes running up, she holds out her arms to her side in a 'T' shape and says, "Stand this far apart - you can touch your neighbors' fingertips, but no more than that."  Putting her arms down again, she continues, "And if you run out of room, just start a new row behind the full one.  What we're going to do is called a line dance, and the more people who join in, the more fun we'll have."  

After taking a few minutes to both make sure the dancers are appropriately spaced and give stragglers a chance to join in, she returns to the front of the stage and faces her dancers again.  "Now you just do what I do, in the direction I'm doing it, and if I move forward or backward, you move forward or backward.  It may help you to count out beats of four as you move.  We start with a grapevine-right.  That's step right with your right foot, cross behind your right foot with your left, step right again with your right foot, and close left by bringing your left foot next to your right, and keep your weight on that right foot.  You can either tap your left foot to the ground or clap your hands to add some extra flair once you get the hang of it. Now repeat that - step right, step behind left, step right, and close left." Mery demonstrates the step as she instructs.  "Now we do 2 grapevine lefts - that's step left, step behind right, step left, and close right, and step left, step behind right, step left, and close right." 

"Now we step back 3 steps, starting with your right foot. That's 1-and-2-and-3, now tap the ground with that left foot.  You can also kick or knee left instead of tapping, just keep your weight on that right foot.  Now step forward left, tap your right toe to the ground behind your left heel.  Now step backward right and tap your left toe in front of your right foot."  She demonstrates.  "Now you lift your right leg and pivot to your left on your left foot.  I like to use kind of a skipping step to propel me into that turn, but whatever gets you there in time is fine." She demonstrates the pivot step a few times.  "And our right foot needs to be up so we can immediate start over with our grapevine-right.  A full Kalaman slide takes us through all 4 different directions."

"So let's do a full Kalaman slide before we ask the musicians to play."  She leads the group through the steps, calling out the steps in cadence.

Then turning to the musicians, she calls, "OK guys, HIT IT!" and leads the dancers through the dance, calling out encouragement and praise all the while.  At the end of the dance, she says, "OK dancers, let's give some thanks to our musicians here for their fine support because everyone knows that dancing is a lot less fun without music!"  And she turns up to the stage and applauds the musicians heartily, encouraging the dancers to follow suit.

spacer.png

Feeling like she's done her part to support the festival, Mery then disappears into the crowd, trying not to think about the dancing. 'It would be fun to dance, but...' She then shakes her head, remembering how every single time she'd ever asked someone to dance with her either got her either a curt refusal or else some man who was too handsy by far and left her feeling violated. 'No, Mery, you have a 100% failure rate at getting someone you can actually feel safe and have fun with to dance with you. Dancing isn't something that life is going to let you have fun at, except things like line dances that you can do without a partner. That's just the way it is - now don't whine about what you can't change and find something else to focus on. Surely there are other interesting things you can find to occupy your attention at this Festival.'

She wanders through the stalls, hoping to find anything related to drawing or sketching. 'If I can get use of some charcoal and an easel, I could make a sketch of Ispin at the Festival to show the others!'

OOC

Action:  

Reaction:

Actions & Resources

Actions:

Shortbow (simple, ranged, ammunition, two-handed). Ranged Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, ranged 80/320 ft., one target.

Dagger (light, ranged or melee). Ranged Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, ranged 20/80 ft., one target.

Bonus Actions:

Healing Word

A creature of your choice that you can see within range regains hit points equal to 1d4 + your spellcasting ability modifier. This spell has no effect on undead or constructs.

At Higher Levels. When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 2nd level or higher, the healing increases by 1d4 for each slot level above 1st.

As a bonus action, a creature (other than yourself) within 60 ft. that can hear you gains an inspiration die (1d6). For 10 minutes, the creature can add it to one ability check, attack roll, or saving throw. This can be added after seeing the roll, but before knowing the outcome.

Ammunition:

Spellcasting:

Mery is a 1st-level spellcaster. Her spellcasting ability is Charisma (spell save DC 13, +5 to hit with spell attacks). She has the following bards available for spontaneous casting from her first level slots: 

Class Features:

• 3/3 Bardic Inspiration
  • Song of Rest (Use on any short rest - anyone who hears her performance and chooses to regain a hit die gains an extra 1d6 of HP.)
  • Jack of All Trades (add 1/2 proficiency bonus, rounded down, to any ability check you make that doesn't already include your proficiency bonus.)

OOC

MerituuliToken.png.53f9774174cd1fbd27a1aa51cf1736c8.pngMerituuli Kaiutin

Level 2 Sea Elf Far Traveler Beast Master Ranger

AC: 18 (Scale Mail, +2 Shield) | HP: 24/24 (2d10+4+4) | Speed: 30 ft., Swim 30 ft.
Senses: passive Perception 17 (Expertise, Darkvision 60 ft.), Insight 15, Investigation 10
Str:Save: +3
Athletics: +3

Carrying Capacity: 180 lb.
Lift/Push/Drag: 360 lb.
12 (+1) | Dex:Initiative: +2
Sleight of Hand: +2
Stealth: +2☆

☆Disadvantage on Dexterity (Stealth) checks from Scale Mail Armor.
 14 (+2) | Con:Save: +2 14 (+2) | Int:Save: +0
Arcana: +0
History: +0
Investigation: +0
Nature: +2
Religion: +0
10 (+0) | Wis:Save: +3
Animal Handling: +5
Insight: +5
Medicine: +3
Perception: +7★
Survival: +5

★Expertise in Perception (Deft Explorer - Canny)
17 (+3) | Cha:Save: -1
Deception: -1
Intimidation: -1
Performance: -1
Persuasion: -1
 8 (-1)

Languages: Common, Elvish, Kenderspeak, Kharolian, Khur

“My words” | ‘My thoughts’  | My actions . . .

Merituuli nods in approval as Artanis takes the Greenshield, commenting, "I think it suits you, Artanis. Ispin would be proud. I like the idea of passing it around, too, keeping the memory alive amongst all of us. We'll have to work out the specifics... but that seems a good way to honor Ispin."

As the Kingfisher Festival winds into full gear, Merituuli finds himself swept up in the merriment, a wide smile plastered across his face. This is certain to be an experience! An elbow to his chest from Artanis grabs his attention, and it's followed by a challenge he can't ignore. "Never had reason to fish with one of these, but I've seen them used before. You're on, Brightblade! May you catch nothing but crayfish!" He takes his own fishing rod and sits near the knight, nodding to the others joining in on the competition.

Alright, Fisher, help me out here!

OOC

Action: —

Movement: —

Reaction: —

Actions & Resources

Actions:

Baculite Shell (Shillelagh). Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target.
Hit: 1d8+3 bludgeoning damage.

Thorn Whip. Melee Spell Attack: +5 to hit, range 30 ft., one target.
Hit: 1d6 piercing damage.

Heavy Crossbow (heavy, loading, two-handed). Ranged Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, range 100/400 ft., one target.
Hit: 1d10+2 piercing damage.

Dagger (finesse, light, thrown). Melee or Ranged Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, reach 5 ft. or range 20/60 ft., one target.
Hit: 1d4+2 piercing damage.

Baculite Shell (Quarterstaff) (versatile). Melee Weapon Attack: +3 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target.
Hit: 1d6+1 bludgeoning damage.
Versatile damage: 1d8+1 bludgeoning damage.

Net (thrown, special). Ranged Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, range 5/15 ft., one target.
Hit: A Large or smaller creature hit by a net is restrained until it is freed. A net has no effect on creatures that are formless, or creatures that are Huge or larger. A creature can use its action to make a DC 10 Strength check, freeing itself or another creature within its reach on a success. Dealing 5 slashing damage to the net (AC 10) also frees the creature without harming it, ending the effect and destroying the net.

Other:

Favored Foe. When you hit a creature with an attack roll, you can call on your mystical bond with nature to mark the target as your favored enemy for 1 minute or until you lose your concentration (as if you were concentrating on a spell).

The first time on each of your turns that you hit the favored enemy and deal damage to it, including when you mark it, you can increase that damage by 1d4.

You can use this feature to mark a favored enemy a number of times equal to your proficiency bonus, and you regain all expended uses when you finish a long rest.

This feature’s extra damage increases when you reach certain levels in this class: to 1d6 at 6th level and to 1d8 at 14th level.

Friend of the Sea. You can communicate simple ideas to any Beast with a swimming speed. It can understand your words but you cannot understand it in return.

Ammunition:

18/20 Crossbow Bolts

Class Features:

• 2/2 Favored Foe Marks
  • 2/2 1st Level Spell Slots

token_1.png.ba18d35c074c2d2a05b1e13a8e573631.pngDecimus - Initiate of High Sorcery | Bladesinger Wizard | Human

AC: 13  | HP: 14/14 | Speed: 30 ft | Spell-casting: +5 / DC 13
Senses: Passive Perception 12, Insight 12, Investigation 15
STR: Score: -1
Athletics: -1
| DEXScore: +3
Acrobatics: +3
Stealth: +3
Sleight of Hand: +3
:
 16 | CONScore: 214 | INTScore: +3
Arcana: +5
History: +5
Investigation: +5
Religion: +5
:
 16 | WISScore: 0

Animal Handling: 0
Insight: +2
Medicine: 0
Perception: +2
Survival: 0
:
 10 | CHAScore: -1

:

Languages: Common, Abyssal, Celestial, Primordial

FeatsWar CasterPrerequisite: The ability to cast at least one spell
You have practiced casting Spells in the midst of Combat, learning Techniques that grant you the following benefits:
You have advantage on Constitution Saving Throws that you make to maintain your Concentration on a spell when you take damage.
You can perform the somatic Components of Spells even when you have Weapons or a Shield in one or both hands.
When a Hostile creature’s Movement provokes an opportunity Attack from you, you can use your Reaction to Cast a Spell at the creature, rather than making an opportunity Attack. The spell must have a Casting Time of 1 Action and must target only that creature.

| FeaturesRitual CastingYou can cast a wizard spell as a ritual if that spell has the ritual tag and you have the spell in your spellbook. You don’t need to have the spell prepared.
Arcane RecoverYou have learned to regain some of your magical energy by studying your spellbook. Once per day when you finish a short rest, you can choose expended spell slots to recover. The spell slots can have a combined level that is equal to or less than half your wizard level (rounded up), and none of the slots can be 6th level or higher. For example, if you’re a 4th-level wizard, you can recover up to two levels worth of spell slots. You can recover either a 2nd-level spell slot or two 1st-level spell slots.
BladesongYou can invoke an elven magic called the Bladesong, provided that you aren't wearing medium or heavy armor or using a shield. It graces you with supernatural speed, agility, and focus. You can use a bonus action to start the Bladesong, which lasts for 1 minute. It ends early if you are incapacitated, if you don medium or heavy armor or a shield, or if you use two hands to make an attack with a weapon. You can also dismiss the Bladesong at any time (no action required). While your Bladesong is active, you gain the following benefits: You gain a bonus to your AC equal to your Intelligence modifier (minimum of +1). Your walking speed increases by 10 feet. You have advantage on Dexterity (Acrobatics) checks. You gain a bonus to any Constitution saving throw you make to maintain your concentration on a spell. The bonus equals your Intelligence modifier (minimum of +1). You can use this feature a number of times equal to your proficiency bonus, and you regain all expended uses of it when you finish a long rest.

| ActionsRapierATTACK: DEX [3]+ Proficiency [2]
RANGE: 5ft
MAGIC BONUS: 0
CRIT RANGE: 20
DAMAGE: 1d8 + DEX [3]
TYPE: Piercing
DESCRIPTION: melee weapon (martial, sword)

Bladesinging Rapier StrikeATTACK: DEX [3]+ Proficiency [2]

| SpellsCantrips
Blade WardBlade Ward
Abjuration cantrip
Casting Time:1 action
Range: Self
Target: Self
Components: V S
Duration: 1 round
Description:You extend your hand and trace a sigil of warding in the air. Until the end of your next turn, you have resistance against bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing damage dealt by weapon attacks.

Booming BladeBooming Blade
Evocation cantrip
Range: Self (5ft radius)
Target: One creature within the spell’s range
Components: V, M (a melee weapon worth at least 1 sp)
Description:You brandish the weapon used in the spell's casting and make a melee attack with it against one creature within 5 feet of you. On a hit, the target suffers the weapon attack’s normal effects and then becomes sheathed in booming energy until the start of your next turn. If the target willingly moves 5 feet or more before then, it immediately takes 1d8 thunder damage, and the spell ends. This spell’s damage increases when you reach certain levels. At 5th level, the melee attack deals an extra 1d8 thunder damage to the target on a hit, and the damage the target takes for moving increases to 2d8. Both damage rolls increase by 1d8 at 11th level (2d8 and 3d8) and again at 17th level (3d8 and 4d8).

Green Flame Blade1st Level Evocation
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: Self (5-foot radius)
Duration: Instantaneous
Classes: Sorcerer, Warlock, Wizard
Description: You brandish the weapon used in the spell's casting and make a melee attack with it against one creature within 5 feet of you. On a hit, the target suffers the weapon attack’s normal effects, and you can cause green fire to leap from the target to a different creature of your choice that you can see within 5 feet of it. The second creature takes fire damage equal to your spellcasting ability modifier. This spell’s damage increases when you reach certain levels. At 5th level, the melee attack deals an extra 1d8 fire damage to the target on a hit, and the fire damage to the second creature increases to 1d8 + your spellcasting ability modifier. Both damage rolls increase by 1d8 at 11th level (2d8 and 2d8) and 17th level (3d8 and 3d8).

1st-Level
Expeditious Retreat1st Level Transmutation
Casting Time: 1 bonus action
Duration: Concentration, up to 10 minutes
Classes: Artificer, Sorcerer, Warlock, Wizard
Description: This spell allows you to move at an incredible pace. When you cast this spell, and then as a bonus action on each of your turns until the spell ends, you can take the Dash action.

Magic Missile1st Level Evocation
Range: 120ft
Target: A creature of your choice that you can see within range
Classes: Sorcerer, Wizard
Description: You create three glowing darts of magical force. Each dart hits a creature of your choice that you can see within range. A dart deals 1d4 + 1 force damage to its target. The darts all strike simultaneously, and you can direct them to hit one creature or several. At Higher Levels: When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 2nd level or higher, the spell creates one more dart for each slot level above 1st.

Tensors Floating Disk1st Level Conjuration
Casting Time: 1 Action
Range: 30 Feet
Target: An unoccupied space of your choice that you can see within range
Components: V S M (A drop of mercury)
Duration: 1 Hour
Classes: Wizard
Description: This spell creates a circular, horizontal plane of force, 3 feet in diameter and 1 inch thick, that floats 3 feet above the ground in an unoccupied space of your choice that you can see within range. The disk remains for the duration, and can hold up to 500 pounds. If more weight is placed on it, the spell ends, and everything on the disk falls to the ground. The disk is immobile while you are within 20 feet of it. If you move more than 20 feet away from it, the disk follows you so that it remains within 20 feet of you. It can move across uneven terrain, up or down stairs, slopes and the like, but it can’t cross an elevation change of 10 feet or more. For example, the disk can’t move across a 10-foot-deep pit, nor could it leave such a pit if it was created at the bottom. If you move more than 100 feet from the disk (typically because it can’t move around an obstacle to follow you), the spell ends.

Tash's Hideous Laughter1st Level Enchantment
Components: V S M (Tiny tarts and a feather that is waved in the air)
Duration: Concentration, up to 1 minute
Classes: Bard, Wizard
Description: A creature of your choice that you can see within range perceives everything as hilariously funny and falls into fits of laughter if this spell affects it. The target must succeed on a Wisdom saving throw or fall prone, becoming incapacitated and unable to stand up for the duration. A creature with an Intelligence score of 4 or less isn’t affected. At the end of each of its turns, and each time it takes damage, the target can make another Wisdom saving throw. The target has advantage on the saving throw if it’s triggered by damage. On a success, the spell ends.

Identify1st Level Divination [Ritual]
Casting Time: 1 Minute
Range: Touch
Target: One object that you must touch throughout the casting of the spell
Components: V S M (A pearl worth at least 100 gp and an owl feather)
Classes: Artificer, Bard, Wizard
Description: You choose one object that you must touch throughout the casting of the spell. If it is a magic item or some other magic-imbued object, you learn its properties and how to use them, whether it requires attunement to use, and how many charges it has, if any. You learn whether any spells are affecting the item and what they are. If the item was created by a spell, you learn which spell created it. If you instead touch a creature throughout the casting, you learn what spells, if any, are currently affecting it.

Detect Magic1st Level Divination
Classes: Artificer, Bard, Cleric, Druid, Paladin, Ranger, Sorcerer, Wizard
Description: For the duration, you sense the presence of magic within 30 feet of you. If you sense magic in this way, you can use your action to see a faint aura around any visible creature or object in the area that bears magic, and you learn its school of magic, if any. The spell can penetrate most barriers, but it is blocked by 1 foot of stone, 1 inch of common metal, a thin sheet of lead, or 3 feet of wood or dirt.

Absorb Elements1st Level Abjuration
Casting Time: 1 Reaction, which you take when you take acid, cold, fire, lightning, or thunder damage
Components: S
Classes: Artificer, Druid, Ranger, Sorcerer, Wizard
Description: The spell captures some of the incoming energy, lessening its effect on you and storing it for your next melee attack. You have resistance to the triggering damage type until the start of your next turn. Also, the first time you hit with a melee attack on your next turn, the target takes an extra 1d6 damage of the triggering type, and the spell ends. At Higher Levels: When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 2nd level or higher, the extra damage increases by 1d6 for each slot level above 1st.

Charm Person1st Level Enchantment
Target: A humanoid you can see within range
Classes: Bard, Druid, Sorcerer, Warlock, Wizard
Description: You attempt to charm a humanoid you can see within range. It must make a Wisdom saving throw, and does so with advantage if you or your companions are fighting it. If it fails the saving throw, it is charmed by you until the spell ends or until you or your companions do anything harmful to it. The charmed creature regards you as a friendly acquaintance. When the spell ends, the creature knows it was charmed by you.
At Higher Levels: When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 2nd level or higher, you can target one additional creature for each slot level above 1st. The creatures must be within 30 feet of each other when you target them.

Comprehend Languages1st Level Divination [Ritual]
Components: V S M (A pinch of soot and salt)
Classes: Bard, Sorcerer, Warlock, Wizard
Description: For the duration, you understand the literal meaning of any spoken language that you hear. You also understand any written language that you see, but you must be touching the surface on which the words are written. It takes about 1 minute to read one page of text. This spell doesn’t decode secret messages in a text or a glyph, such as an arcane sigil, that isn’t part of a written language.
[Initiate of High Sorcery Feat]
Shield1st Level Abjuration
Casting Time: 1 reaction, which you take when you are hit by an attack or targeted by the magic missile spell
Duration: 1 Round
Description: An invisible barrier of magical force appears and protects you. Until the start of your next turn, you have a +5 bonus to AC, including against the triggering attack, and you take no damage from magic missile.

The celebrations are quite enjoyable, and Decimus finds himself getting quite swept up in the energy, even giving a mild applause when the Mayor announced the official start of the festivities. While the group is mingling, the Wizard gravitates to a small stall with a portly man with stained red lips and teeth, after a few brief words, the one eyed spellcaster leaves with a smile on his face and a small clay cup of sweet red wine in his hand as he wanders back just in time to hear Darrett claim he wanted to compete in the fishing contest, something that appeals greatly to him. Coltans decline is expected, he had already made his excitement for the reenactment known, and Modri is probably not too far behind him. Artanis and Merituuli have already entered themselves in a secondary competition amongst themselves, an open offer, which he mulls over for a moment as he watches Mery take her leave and head to the stage for an impromptu coaching session.

"I'll take that action, I've done some fishing in my time..."

Following the two to the dock, he scans the rods up and down, humming and hawing before selecting one that was quite worn. Settling himself down near the other two, he casts with the bait attached, then crosses his legs and seats the rod between his legs, resting on his calves, before leaning his sakkat forward and lying backward, his face covered with the hat, and closes his eyes. His technique had not failed him yet, maybe he would not catch anything in the thirty minutes, but if he was lucky, it would work itself out, maybe Branchla & Solinari had decided he would win this competition already.

spacer.png

OOCAction:

Bonus Action:

Movement:

Reaction:

How do we feel about bladesinging with a fishing rod?

Edited by tyrtaeus (see edit history)

token1.png.1f361b5b69f15cd7a9ff716bb787caee.pngHunni Collic

Gully Dwarf Mage of High Sorcery Hexblade Warlock

AC: 18 (Scale Mail+2 Shield +2 Dex) | HP: 17/17 (1d8+5+4) | Speed: 30 ft.
Senses: Darkvision, passive Perception 11, Insight 11, Investigation 9
StrSave: -1
:
8 (-1) | DexSave: +2
Stealth: +2☆
☆ disadvantage on Dexterity (Stealth) checks from Scale Mail Armor.

Initiative: +2
:
14 (+2) | ConSave: +2: 15 (+2) | IntSave: -1
Arcana: +1
History: +1
Nature: +1
:
:
Intimidation: +3
Persuasion: +3
:
17 (+3)

Languages: You can speak, read, and write Common, Gullytalk, Elven, and Dwarven

Hunni mostly just enjoys the festival, oohing and aaahing at everything going on. She joins in the dance, of course, and when Darret invites everyone to go fishing, she obviously accepts. "We... just bash the fish with these sticks?" she asks, privately judging the bashing tool to be way too flimsy and light for any serious bashing. "Or... What are you guys doing?"

OOC

Action:

Bonus Action:

Movement:

Reaction:

Actions and Resources

Actions

Eldritch Blast (cantrip). Ranged Spell Attack: + 5 to hit, range 120 ft, one target.
Hit: (1d10+3) force damage.

Infestation (cantrip). Spell: Constitution Save DC 13, range 30 ft, one target.
On failed save: (1d6) poison damage, and target must move 5' in a random direction (d4; 1-North, 2-South, 3-East, 4-West). 

Whip (finesse, reach). Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 10 ft., one target.
Hit: (1d4 + 3) slashing damage.

Battleaxe (versatile). Melee Weapon Attack: reach 5 ft., one target.
Hit: (1d8 - 1) slashing damage.
Versatile: (1d10 - 1) slashing damage.

☆ Note:  With Hex Warrior, can set one weapon to use Charisma instead of Strength or Dexterity for to-hit and damage.  Currently whip.

Bonus Actions

Hexblade's Curse.

Starting at 1st level, you gain the ability to place a baleful curse on someone. As a bonus action, choose one creature you can see within 30 feet of you. The target is cursed for 1 minute. The curse ends early if the target dies, you die, or you are incapacitated. Until the curse ends, you gain the following benefits:

• You gain a bonus to damage rolls against the cursed target. The bonus equals your proficiency bonus.
  • Any attack roll you make against the cursed target is a critical hit on a roll of 19 or 20 on the d20.
  • If the cursed target dies, you regain hit points equal to your warlock level + your Charisma modifier (minimum of 1 hit point).

You can’t use this feature again until you finish a short or long rest.

Grovel, Cower, and Beg (Reskinned Draconic Cry).

As a bonus action, you let out a cry at your enemies within 10 feet of you. Until the start of your next turn, you and your allies have advantage on attack rolls against any of those enemies who could hear you. You can use this trait a number of times equal to your proficiency bonus, and you regain all expended uses when you finish a long rest.

Spellcasting

Spell Slots:  2 / 2

Hunni is a spellcaster.  Her spell slots are at 1st level.  She has 2 spell slots.  Her spellcasting attribute is Charisma.  Spell Save DC 13.  Spell Attack Modifier +5.  She can use an arcane focus as a spellcasting focus.

• Cantrips:  Eldritch Blast, Infestation, Prestidigitation
  • Spells Known:  Armor of Agathys, Wrathful Smite, Hex, Dissonant Whispers, Unseen Servant
  • Invocations:  Devil's Sight, Agonizing Blast

token_1.png.ba18d35c074c2d2a05b1e13a8e573631.pngDecimus - Initiate of High Sorcery | Bladesinger Wizard | Human

AC: 13  | HP: 14/14 | Speed: 30 ft | Spell-casting: +5 / DC 13
Senses: Passive Perception 12, Insight 12, Investigation 15
STR: Score: -1
| DEXScore: +3
Acrobatics: +3
Stealth: +3
Sleight of Hand: +3
:
 16 | CONScore: 214 | INTScore: +3
Arcana: +5
History: +5
Investigation: +5
Religion: +5
:
 16 | WISScore: 0

Animal Handling: 0
Insight: +2
Medicine: 0
Perception: +2
Survival: 0
:
 10 | CHAScore: -1

:

Languages: Common, Abyssal, Celestial, Primordial

FeatsWar CasterPrerequisite: The ability to cast at least one spell
You have practiced casting Spells in the midst of Combat, learning Techniques that grant you the following benefits:
You have advantage on Constitution Saving Throws that you make to maintain your Concentration on a spell when you take damage.
You can perform the somatic Components of Spells even when you have Weapons or a Shield in one or both hands.
When a Hostile creature’s Movement provokes an opportunity Attack from you, you can use your Reaction to Cast a Spell at the creature, rather than making an opportunity Attack. The spell must have a Casting Time of 1 Action and must target only that creature.

| FeaturesRitual CastingYou can cast a wizard spell as a ritual if that spell has the ritual tag and you have the spell in your spellbook. You don’t need to have the spell prepared.
Arcane RecoverYou have learned to regain some of your magical energy by studying your spellbook. Once per day when you finish a short rest, you can choose expended spell slots to recover. The spell slots can have a combined level that is equal to or less than half your wizard level (rounded up), and none of the slots can be 6th level or higher. For example, if you’re a 4th-level wizard, you can recover up to two levels worth of spell slots. You can recover either a 2nd-level spell slot or two 1st-level spell slots.
BladesongYou can invoke an elven magic called the Bladesong, provided that you aren't wearing medium or heavy armor or using a shield. It graces you with supernatural speed, agility, and focus. You can use a bonus action to start the Bladesong, which lasts for 1 minute. It ends early if you are incapacitated, if you don medium or heavy armor or a shield, or if you use two hands to make an attack with a weapon. You can also dismiss the Bladesong at any time (no action required). While your Bladesong is active, you gain the following benefits: You gain a bonus to your AC equal to your Intelligence modifier (minimum of +1). Your walking speed increases by 10 feet. You have advantage on Dexterity (Acrobatics) checks. You gain a bonus to any Constitution saving throw you make to maintain your concentration on a spell. The bonus equals your Intelligence modifier (minimum of +1). You can use this feature a number of times equal to your proficiency bonus, and you regain all expended uses of it when you finish a long rest.

| ActionsRapierATTACK: DEX [3]+ Proficiency [2]

Bladesinging Rapier StrikeATTACK: DEX [3]+ Proficiency [2]

| SpellsCantrips
Blade WardBlade Ward
Abjuration cantrip
Description:You extend your hand and trace a sigil of warding in the air. Until the end of your next turn, you have resistance against bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing damage dealt by weapon attacks.

Booming BladeBooming Blade
Evocation cantrip
Range: Self (5ft radius)
Description:You brandish the weapon used in the spell's casting and make a melee attack with it against one creature within 5 feet of you. On a hit, the target suffers the weapon attack’s normal effects and then becomes sheathed in booming energy until the start of your next turn. If the target willingly moves 5 feet or more before then, it immediately takes 1d8 thunder damage, and the spell ends. This spell’s damage increases when you reach certain levels. At 5th level, the melee attack deals an extra 1d8 thunder damage to the target on a hit, and the damage the target takes for moving increases to 2d8. Both damage rolls increase by 1d8 at 11th level (2d8 and 3d8) and again at 17th level (3d8 and 4d8).

Green Flame Blade1st Level Evocation
Range: Self (5-foot radius)
Classes: Sorcerer, Warlock, Wizard
Description: You brandish the weapon used in the spell's casting and make a melee attack with it against one creature within 5 feet of you. On a hit, the target suffers the weapon attack’s normal effects, and you can cause green fire to leap from the target to a different creature of your choice that you can see within 5 feet of it. The second creature takes fire damage equal to your spellcasting ability modifier. This spell’s damage increases when you reach certain levels. At 5th level, the melee attack deals an extra 1d8 fire damage to the target on a hit, and the fire damage to the second creature increases to 1d8 + your spellcasting ability modifier. Both damage rolls increase by 1d8 at 11th level (2d8 and 2d8) and 17th level (3d8 and 3d8).

1st-Level
Expeditious Retreat1st Level Transmutation
Casting Time: 1 bonus action
Classes: Artificer, Sorcerer, Warlock, Wizard
Description: This spell allows you to move at an incredible pace. When you cast this spell, and then as a bonus action on each of your turns until the spell ends, you can take the Dash action.

Magic Missile1st Level Evocation
Range: 120ft
Description: You create three glowing darts of magical force. Each dart hits a creature of your choice that you can see within range. A dart deals 1d4 + 1 force damage to its target. The darts all strike simultaneously, and you can direct them to hit one creature or several. At Higher Levels: When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 2nd level or higher, the spell creates one more dart for each slot level above 1st.

Tensors Floating Disk1st Level Conjuration
Target: An unoccupied space of your choice that you can see within range
Components: V S M (A drop of mercury)
Classes: Wizard
Description: This spell creates a circular, horizontal plane of force, 3 feet in diameter and 1 inch thick, that floats 3 feet above the ground in an unoccupied space of your choice that you can see within range. The disk remains for the duration, and can hold up to 500 pounds. If more weight is placed on it, the spell ends, and everything on the disk falls to the ground. The disk is immobile while you are within 20 feet of it. If you move more than 20 feet away from it, the disk follows you so that it remains within 20 feet of you. It can move across uneven terrain, up or down stairs, slopes and the like, but it can’t cross an elevation change of 10 feet or more. For example, the disk can’t move across a 10-foot-deep pit, nor could it leave such a pit if it was created at the bottom. If you move more than 100 feet from the disk (typically because it can’t move around an obstacle to follow you), the spell ends.

Tash's Hideous Laughter1st Level Enchantment
Components: V S M (Tiny tarts and a feather that is waved in the air)
Duration: Concentration, up to 1 minute
Classes: Bard, Wizard
Description: A creature of your choice that you can see within range perceives everything as hilariously funny and falls into fits of laughter if this spell affects it. The target must succeed on a Wisdom saving throw or fall prone, becoming incapacitated and unable to stand up for the duration. A creature with an Intelligence score of 4 or less isn’t affected. At the end of each of its turns, and each time it takes damage, the target can make another Wisdom saving throw. The target has advantage on the saving throw if it’s triggered by damage. On a success, the spell ends.

Identify1st Level Divination [Ritual]
Casting Time: 1 Minute
Range: Touch
Target: One object that you must touch throughout the casting of the spell
Components: V S M (A pearl worth at least 100 gp and an owl feather)
Classes: Artificer, Bard, Wizard
Description: You choose one object that you must touch throughout the casting of the spell. If it is a magic item or some other magic-imbued object, you learn its properties and how to use them, whether it requires attunement to use, and how many charges it has, if any. You learn whether any spells are affecting the item and what they are. If the item was created by a spell, you learn which spell created it. If you instead touch a creature throughout the casting, you learn what spells, if any, are currently affecting it.

Detect Magic1st Level Divination
Classes: Artificer, Bard, Cleric, Druid, Paladin, Ranger, Sorcerer, Wizard
Description: For the duration, you sense the presence of magic within 30 feet of you. If you sense magic in this way, you can use your action to see a faint aura around any visible creature or object in the area that bears magic, and you learn its school of magic, if any. The spell can penetrate most barriers, but it is blocked by 1 foot of stone, 1 inch of common metal, a thin sheet of lead, or 3 feet of wood or dirt.

Absorb Elements1st Level Abjuration
Casting Time: 1 Reaction, which you take when you take acid, cold, fire, lightning, or thunder damage
Components: S
Classes: Artificer, Druid, Ranger, Sorcerer, Wizard
Description: The spell captures some of the incoming energy, lessening its effect on you and storing it for your next melee attack. You have resistance to the triggering damage type until the start of your next turn. Also, the first time you hit with a melee attack on your next turn, the target takes an extra 1d6 damage of the triggering type, and the spell ends. At Higher Levels: When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 2nd level or higher, the extra damage increases by 1d6 for each slot level above 1st.

Charm Person1st Level Enchantment
Target: A humanoid you can see within range
Classes: Bard, Druid, Sorcerer, Warlock, Wizard
Description: You attempt to charm a humanoid you can see within range. It must make a Wisdom saving throw, and does so with advantage if you or your companions are fighting it. If it fails the saving throw, it is charmed by you until the spell ends or until you or your companions do anything harmful to it. The charmed creature regards you as a friendly acquaintance. When the spell ends, the creature knows it was charmed by you.
At Higher Levels: When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 2nd level or higher, you can target one additional creature for each slot level above 1st. The creatures must be within 30 feet of each other when you target them.

Comprehend Languages1st Level Divination [Ritual]
Components: V S M (A pinch of soot and salt)
Classes: Bard, Sorcerer, Warlock, Wizard
Description: For the duration, you understand the literal meaning of any spoken language that you hear. You also understand any written language that you see, but you must be touching the surface on which the words are written. It takes about 1 minute to read one page of text. This spell doesn’t decode secret messages in a text or a glyph, such as an arcane sigil, that isn’t part of a written language.
Shield1st Level Abjuration
Casting Time: 1 reaction, which you take when you are hit by an attack or targeted by the magic missile spell
Duration: 1 Round
Description: An invisible barrier of magical force appears and protects you. Until the start of your next turn, you have a +5 bonus to AC, including against the triggering attack, and you take no damage from magic missile.

Chuckling from beneath his hat, Decimus tips it upward and looks at Hunni, for once she would be looking down at him as she asked her question. He supposed Gully Dwarves would not have experienced fishing before, since without the necessary tools, it was quite difficult, even for someone with patience and dexterity such as himself.

"No bashing needed, just some patience, and one of these..."

He fishes around in the bait bucket for a worm, and dangles it in front of her, before sitting up and reeling his rod back in.

"This is the bait, fish like to eat them, so we hook the worm on the edge like this-"

With one hand he prepares the hook with the bait, showing her each step, pointing out the reel as well.

"Once it's all set up, you cast the hook, and then all that is left is to be patient..."

With another practiced flick of his wrist, he casts out the hook into the deeper water, and rests the rod where it had been earlier, giving Hunni a small smile, before lowering his sakkat once more, and getting back into his napping position.

spacer.png

OOCAction:

Bonus Action:

Movement:

Reaction:

Those of you participating find one of Vogler’s best fishers, Mayor Raven, is in your group, along with a dozen other locals.

A fishing pole resting on her shoulder, Raven takes her place as one of the competitors and beckons other participants to line up with her along the docks. “It’s time to find out who among us kingfisher fisherfolk is the fisher king!” the mayor says as she casts her line into the Vingaard River. The competitors receive her pun with good-spirited groans and laughter, then cast their lines as well.

Participating in the Contest

The contest plays out in three 10-minute rounds. After a character spends 10 minutes fishing, roll on the Fish to Catch table to determine whether a fish tugs on their line and, if so, the DC of the Wisdom (Survival) check required to catch it. The character then makes a Wisdom (Survival) check, catching the fish if they succeed and losing it if they fail. A character has advantage on this check if they brought their own fishing gear to the contest rather than borrowing gear. If a character fails this check by 10 or more, they are pulled into the water and are out of the contest.

Repeat these rolls for every 10 minutes a character participates in the fish catch. After 30 minutes, the contest ends and a winner is determined.

Fish to Catch

d20 Catch DC Fish
1–3  No fish
4–7 8 Tiny river eel (1 ft. long)
8–11 10 Tiny cuirassed carp (1 ft. long)
12–15 11 Mature river eel (1½ ft. long)
16–18 12 Mature cuirassed carp (3 ft. long)
19 15 Greater cuirassed carp (5 ft. long)
20 18 Benebog the Line Breaker (8 ft. long)

When the mysterious half-elven woman joined the band with her pan-flute, a few people gave her a few weird looks, but that lasted only as long as it took for the music to start. Everyone enjoyed it even more as Mery’s pan-flute really livened the tunes.

Then Mery taught them a dance—and what really sold it was “a dance from the big city”! Everyone was very enthusiastic to learn the dance and heartily participated.

When Mery left the stage, it was to a standing ovation—but slight confusion as to why she was leaving. The band got back to playing and everyone went back to enjoying the festivities.

As she searched for an easel, canvas, and charcoal, she happened by a caricature artist. When she expressed interest, he was happy to lend her one of his easels and a canvas and some charcoals a couple of silver.

Human Knight of Solamnia 

:
:
:
:
:
16 (+3)

Thinking on Mery's advice, Artanis takes the time to chat with Huuni across the top of the reclining wizard. "So must be pretty unusual for one of your folk to join the Tower, hey?" he inquires pleasantly.

After a little while enjoying the sound of the river beneath the general hubbub of the town, and the company of friends and strangers alike, Artanis feels a tug on his line! He swiftly pulls forth a writhing grey tangle from the water - "Here, what do you think of this then Kai? Feeling nervous yet?" he calls over to the sea elf, wrestling the eel from his hook. "So Mayor Raven," he asks, trying to keep hold of the slippery creature "Is it catch and release, or do these all go towards tonights feast?"

OOC

Action: 

Bonus Action: 

Movement: 

Reaction: 

Object Interaction: 

Actions & Resources

Actions:

Bonus Actions:

Class Features:

Edited by PureChance (see edit history)
Name
Lucky Fish
1d20 12
Survival (DC11)
1d20+3 19

spacer.png                       Meryelle "Mery" Keryndon

16 (+5)

Mery cheerfully pays the two silver and tells the artist, "I need to set up down near the fishing area, but you have my promise that I'll return your supplies."

She takes the easel, canvas, and charcoal and lugs it over to the docks, then sets the easel up when she finds a vantage point that lets her view a group of the contestants face-on. She adds the canvas to the easel, then begins sketching, her charcoal skritch-skritch-skritching as she draws. She tunes out everything around her and focuses on the image she wants to create.

She draws the dock, then adds Ispin to the center, his hands easily three feet apart in a classic 'this big' gesture, his face alight with an almost childlike glee as he tells his story. To persuade people that this is Ispin, she puts some effort into getting a few key details right: the bushy eyebrows, the crinkles around his eyes, the laugh lines around his mouth. To Ispin's right, she adds a boy of perhaps 15 years, who she bases on one of the contestants. His attention is riveted on Ispin, an expression of amazement and a little hero-worship on his face. To Ispin's left, she adds a grizzled oldster of around 60 years, frowning in an unimpressed manner, but the glance of the eyes in Ispin's direction indicates far more interest in the story being told than the frown would suggest. Finally, she adds a few finishing details - a few boats on the water in the distance, and some fishing gear as well as fishing poles with their lines in the water for each of the three figures. Then she captions the sketch, The Fisherman's Tale.

Since she wants to return the artist's tools in a timely manner, she rushes a bit more than she might otherwise, and it shows in the finished work. It's definitely not the best she's capable of, but she thinks it does a reasonably good job of capturing Ispin's personality.

She then returns the tools to the caricature artist, thanks them, and then carries her sketch back toward where her other companions are fishing, stopping along the way to buy a limeade one of the vendors is selling. Arriving at the docks, she takes a seat near her companions, but doesn't speak to the fishers. It's not that she's trying to snub them, she just doesn't want to interrupt them.

Upon finishing her drink, she pulls out her pan flute and begins playing a song called The Sweet Sea, keeping the volume as low as she can. She's pretty sure that as long as the music isn't too loud or too close to the surface of the water, it shouldn't scare off the fish the others are trying to catch.

OOC

Action:  

Reaction:

Actions & Resources

Actions:

Bonus Actions:

Healing Word

Ammunition:

Spellcasting:

Class Features:

• 3/3 Bardic Inspiration

OOC

Name
Persuasion - how good is Mery's sketch?
1d20+5 9