Chapter 01c: When Home Burns (A Parting Gift & the Kingfisher Festival)

Kamishiro_Rin

spacer.png                       Meryelle "Mery" Keryndon

Level 2 Half-Elf Sage College of Lore Bard

AC: 13 (Leather Armor) | HP: 17/17 | Speed: 30 ft.
Senses:  Darkvision 60 ft; Passive Perception 11, Passive Insight 11, Passive Investigation 14
Str:Save: -1
Athletics: +0

Carrying Capacity: 120 lb.
Lift/Push/Drag: 240 lb.
8 (-1) | Dex:Initiative: +2
Save: +4
Acrobatics: +2
Slight-of-Hand: +2
Stealth: +2
14 (+4) | Con:Save: +2 14 (+2) | Int:Save: +2
Arcana: +4
History: +4
Investigation: +4
Nature: +3
Religion: +3
14 (+2) | Wis:Save: +0
Animal Handling: +1
Insight: +1
Medicine: +1
Perception: +1
Survival: +1
11 (+0) | Cha:Save: +5
Deception: +5
Intimidation: +5
Performance: +5
Persuasion: +5
16 (+5)

Languages:  Common, Elven, Solamnic, Kharolian, and Draconic
Spell-casting: +5 or DC 131st 2/2

“My words,” | ‘My thoughts,’  | My actions

With the Caricature Artist

Mery is happy to talk about drawing with the caricature artist, and receives his criticism with good grace. "Oh drawing is more of a side interest for me - I'm more of a scholar, but I took up drawing because pictures can really enhance the written word. I want to write a book one day, and I wanted to be able to illustrate it, too, if needed. I find, though, that I really enjoy drawing people, especially if it's not one of those portrait poses. I know portraits have their purpose, and I'm not trying to knock that or the artists who make them, it's just not what I enjoy doing. I like drawing people doing things with their attention focused elsewhere, like in this sketch, and it revealing something about the person. I might not be able to use anything like that in my book, but it at least gives me a lot of practice with living forms."

She then puts her sketch of Ispin back on the borrowed easel and begins adding some shading throughout. She also finds an out-of-the-way spot in the background to sneak in Ispin's shield. She wants to make this sketch a gift, and that means putting in her very best effort, so she is happy to take any criticism that can make the sketch the best it can be. 'Improving my shading means better sketches for my book, too!'

After she finishes, she studies the sketch for a moment, then turns to the caricature artist, a wide grin on her face. "You know, it is much better. Thank you for your lesson!"

With Young Lord Bakaris

On her way back to her companions, Mery encounters young Lord Bakaris. She's about to keep walking and pretend she doesn't see him when she remembers the number of times she had been hurting and people kept right on walking, leaving her alone in her pain. 'To make a difference, I can't do what everyone else does. Ispin might not have known what I was dealing with when he met me, but he made a difference for me. How can I not make an effort to try to pay that forward?'

She decides to go out on a limb and take a big gamble. She might not get anything for her effort, but what if she did? Or what if her words made no difference now, but later on they did? Wasn't it still worth making an attempt for the sake of a possible later benefit? "Greetings, young Lord Bakaris. You know, I've been thinking about you since our earlier encounter in the Brass Crab. I don't mean to say I've been having romantic thoughts about you, because I haven't, I've just been wondering what you deal with in your life and if you might not be dealing with something really hard. Hardship seems to be something that all people face, even though the nature of the hardship might be different between any two people."

"One of my big hardships was my mother's husband. He really didn't like me very much and was always criticizing me for different things, but even if I tried to follow his instructions, he still criticized, and it was never helpful criticism ever. And when he would catch me alone, he would say some of the most horrible things to me, like he wanted to completely destroy my confidence and any sense of self-worth I might have. So I would go tell my mother, and she would of course go to him and ask about it and he would claim I was being overly sensitive or taking things the wrong way. I wound up getting blamed for being an attention seeker, in the negative sense of the word. It got so bad, I began to think about taking my own life."

She continues earnestly, "Things finally started to turn around when I made a few friends and my mother inadvertently walked in on her husband verbally ripping me to shreds when I was about 16. The turnaround wasn't quick, and I've spent the last 7 years of my life working my tail off to pay back some money my stepfather wasn't happy about having to spend on me, having no time at all for a personal life. But now if he wants to complain about that money he spent on me, I can say, 'Screw you, I paid you back, and with ten percent interest on top of that. So shut up, because the debt has been paid in full.' It is apparent from Mery's tone and carriage that she has practiced exactly what she'd like to say to her mother's husband. "And I can have confidence because my actions back that up."

"I'm not trying to one-up you, Lord Bakaris, and I hope won't take what I'm saying that way. I just want to say that you're not alone in facing hardship, and although it might not seem like it right now, there are things you can do to improve your circumstances. And some people you might not expect it from might be willing to be friends with you. Ispin was like that with me. There is no reason on Krynn to think an adult male would want to befriend a 15-year-old girl, but Ispin did me, and I am here right now in no small way because of that."

"I'm likely going to be leaving Vogler tomorrow or the next day, but if you want to talk further about any of this before I go, feel free to leave a message for me at the Brass Crab. I can delay my leaving to accommodate talking with you if I have to. Or if you're just not ready yet, then whenever you are ready, for heaven's sake, find someone you can talk to, even if you have to manufacture a reason for a trip out of town in order to find someone to talk to who doesn't know you at all."

She places a gentle hand on the young lord's arm, for just a brief second, wanting to assure him of her sincerity, but not too long, so he doesn't take the gesture as being romantically motivated. "Underneath all your obnoxious prickliness, I believe there's a person worth knowing who is just hurting and struggling right now. And even if I never see you again, I will always wish you good things, like friends, happiness, and a solution to whatever's bothering you."

"Thank you for your time, young Lord Bakaris. I bid you a pleasant rest of the festival."

With that, the young scholar wanders off into the crowds.

OOC

Action:  Persuade Bakaris to talk to someone about his problems, if not now, then later. (Probably later, given the pending combat.) .

Bonus Action: —

Movement: —

Reaction:

Actions & Resources

Actions:

Shortbow (simple, ranged, ammunition, two-handed). Ranged Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, ranged 80/320 ft., one target.
                                                                                   Hit:  (1d6 + 2) piercing damage. 

Dagger (light, ranged or melee). Ranged Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, ranged 20/80 ft., one target.
                                                   Hit: (1d4 + 2) piercing damage.
                                                                   Melee Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target.

Hit: (1d4+2) piercing damage.

Bonus Actions:

Healing Word

A creature of your choice that you can see within range regains hit points equal to 1d4 + your spellcasting ability modifier. This spell has no effect on undead or constructs.

At Higher Levels. When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 2nd level or higher, the healing increases by 1d4 for each slot level above 1st.

Bardic Inspiration (3 per long rest, for 1d6)

As a bonus action, a creature (other than yourself) within 60 ft. that can hear you gains an inspiration die (1d6). For 10 minutes, the creature can add it to one ability check, attack roll, or saving throw. This can be added after seeing the roll, but before knowing the outcome.

Ammunition:

20 arrows in quiver, 3 arrow bundles in backpack.

Spellcasting:

Mery is a 1st-level spellcaster. Her spellcasting ability is Charisma (spell save DC 13, +5 to hit with spell attacks). She has the following bards available for spontaneous casting from her first level slots: 

• Cantrips (2/2 slots): prestidigitation, vicious mockery
  • 1st level (3/3 slots): healing word, hideous laughter, cure wounds

Class Features:

• 3/3 Bardic Inspiration
  • Song of Rest (Use on any short rest - anyone who hears her performance and chooses to regain a hit die gains an extra 1d6 of HP.)
  • Jack of All Trades (add 1/2 proficiency bonus, rounded down, to any ability check you make that doesn't already include your proficiency bonus.)

OOC

I'm having Mery wander off mostly because the timing seems pretty bad for a conversation between the two. Given how long this post is, I'll make a new one for Mery's combat actions.

Edited by tbgg (see edit history)
Name
initiative
1d20+3 7
Persuade Bakaris to talk to someone about his problems.
1d20+5 11

spacer.pngColtan Bluetemper

Level 2 Neidar Folk Hero Forge Cleric

AC: 18 (Chain Mail +2 Shield) | HP: 21/21 (2d8+6+2) | Speed: 25 ft.
Senses: Darkvision 60 ft., Passive Perception 15, Insight 13, Investigation 12
StrSave: +2

Athletics: +5

Carrying Capacity: 210 lb.
Lift/Push/Drag: 420 lb.
:
14 (+2) | DexInitiative: −1
Save: −1

Acrobatics: −1
Slight-of-Hand: −1
Stealth: −1☆

☆ Chain mail gives disadvantage
:
8 (–1) | ConSave: +3: 16 (+3) | IntSave: +0

Arcana: +0
History: +0
Investigation: +2
Nature: +0
Religion: +2
:
10 (+0) | WisSave: +5

Animal Handling: +5
Insight: +3
Medicine: +3
Perception: +5
Survival: +5
:
16 (+3) | ChaSave: +2

Deception: +0
Intimidation: +0
Performance: +0
Persuasion: +2
:
10 (+0)

Languages: Speak, read, and write Common and Dwarvish

Walking around the festival, Coltan had a chance to meet and chat with the villagers, many of whom would formed the militia with whom he now stood shoulder to shoulder. He smiled at them to encourage them. "We got this. We got this."

When the Istarian's started to charge, he steeled himself. His immediate neighbors made comments that these Istarians were so much better than last year. When the militia surged forward, Coltan gripped his shield and put one boot in front of the other heading toward the Istarians. He calls out, "For Vogler!"

OOC

Action: Preceive

Bonus Action:

Movement:

Reaction:

Use Object:

Actions and Resources

Actions

+1 Holy Warhammer (versatile). Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target.
Hit: 1d8 + 3 magic, fire damage.
Versatile damage: 1d10 + 3 magic, fire damage.

Handaxe (light, thrown). Melee & Ranged Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, ranged 20/60 ft., one target.
Hit: 1d6 + 2 slashing damage.

Dagger (light, thrown). Melee & Ranged Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, ranged 20/60 ft., one target.
Hit: 1d4 + 2 piercing damage.

Spell-casting: +5 or DC 13 | 1st 3/3

Cantrips

1. Sacred Flame (V, S). Spell Attack: Dex DC 13, ranged 60 ft., one target.  Fail: 1d8 radiant damage.
  2. Word of Radiance (V, M). Spell Attack: Con DC 13, ranged 5 ft., each creature of your choice. Fail: 1d6 radiant damage.
  3. Light (V,M).  You touch one object that is no larger than 10 feet in any dimension. Until the spell ends, the object sheds bright light in a 20-foot radius and dim light for an additional 20 feet. The light can be colored as you like. Completely covering the object with something opaque blocks the light. The spell ends if you cast it again or dismiss it as an action.  If you target an object held or worn by a hostile creature, that creature must succeed on a Dexterity saving throw to avoid the spell.

1st level spells prepared

1. Bless (V,S,M).  You bless up to three creatures of your choice within 30 ft. Whenever a target makes an attack roll or a saving throw before the spell ends, the target can roll a d4 and add the number rolled to the attack roll or saving throw.  Concentration up to 1 minute.
  2. Cure Wounds (V,S).  A creature you touch regains a number of hit points equal to 1d8 + your spellcasting ability modifier. This spell has no effect on undead or constructs.
  3. Detect Magic (V,S) Ritual. For the duration, you sense the presence of magic within 30 feet of you. If you sense magic in this way, you can use your action to see a faint aura around any visible creature or object in the area that bears magic, and you learn its school of magic, if any.  The spell can penetrate most barriers, but it is blocked by 1 foot of stone, 1 inch of common metal, a thin sheet of lead, or 3 feet of wood or dirt.  Concentration up to 10 minutes.
  4. Healing Word (V) Bonus.  A creature of your choice that you can see within range regains hit points equal to 1d4 + your spellcasting ability modifier. This spell has no effect on undead or constructs.
  5. Guiding Bolt (V,S).  Make a ranged spell attack against the target within 120 feet. On a hit, the target takes 4d6 radiant damage, and the next attack roll made against this target before the end of your next turn has advantage

Channel Divinity: 1/1 short rest

Turn Undead.  Expend a use of your Channel Divinity as an action to make each undead that can see or hear you within 30 feet of you to make a Wisdom DC 13. If the creature fails its saving throw, it is turned for 1 minute or until it takes any damage.

Harness Divine Power.  As a bonus action, expend a use of your Channel Divinity to regain one expended spell slot, the level of which can be no higher than half your proficiency bonus (rounded up).

token1.png.1f361b5b69f15cd7a9ff716bb787caee.pngHunni Collic

Gully Dwarf Mage of High Sorcery Hexblade Warlock

AC: 18 (Scale Mail+2 Shield +2 Dex) | HP: 17/17 (1d8+5+4) | Speed: 30 ft.
Senses: Darkvision, passive Perception 11, Insight 11, Investigation 9
StrSave: -1
Athletics: -1
:
8 (-1) | DexSave: +2
Stealth: +2☆
☆ disadvantage on Dexterity (Stealth) checks from Scale Mail Armor.

Initiative: +2
:
14 (+2) | ConSave: +2: 15 (+2) | IntSave: -1
Arcana: +1
History: +1
Investigation: -1
Nature: +1
Religion: -1
:
8 (-1) | WisSave: +3
Survival: +3
:
12 (+1) | ChaSave: +5
Intimidation: +3
Performance: +3
Persuasion: +3
:
17 (+3)

Languages: You can speak, read, and write Common, Gullytalk, Elven, and Dwarven

For the majority of the time, Hunni has a great time at the festival. She laughs as people fall in the water, oohs and ahhs at her little carved figurine, congratulates Merituuli on his victory.

She eats and parties, and generally has fun, and when time for the reenactment comes, she trades in her battleaxe for a dull spear; the whip stays at her side, of course, and seems to twitch jealously as she prepares another weapon.

Then, the actual reenactment happens. Hunni's eyes widen as she sees the mercenaries prepare their charge.

"The mercenaries have real weapons!" Hunni yells out, warningly, for her companions and the nearby millitia members. "Somebody stop the reenactment!" she screams, too late for anyone to stop the charge or the battle from happening.

OOC

Action:

Bonus Action:

Movement:

Reaction:

Actions and Resources

Actions

Eldritch Blast (cantrip). Ranged Spell Attack: + 5 to hit, range 120 ft, one target.
Hit: (1d10+3) force damage.

Infestation (cantrip). Spell: Constitution Save DC 13, range 30 ft, one target.
On failed save: (1d6) poison damage, and target must move 5' in a random direction (d4; 1-North, 2-South, 3-East, 4-West). 

Whip (finesse, reach). Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 10 ft., one target.
Hit: (1d4 + 3) slashing damage.

Battleaxe (versatile). Melee Weapon Attack: reach 5 ft., one target.
Hit: (1d8 - 1) slashing damage.
Versatile: (1d10 - 1) slashing damage.

☆ Note:  With Hex Warrior, can set one weapon to use Charisma instead of Strength or Dexterity for to-hit and damage.  Currently whip.

Bonus Actions

Hexblade's Curse.

Starting at 1st level, you gain the ability to place a baleful curse on someone. As a bonus action, choose one creature you can see within 30 feet of you. The target is cursed for 1 minute. The curse ends early if the target dies, you die, or you are incapacitated. Until the curse ends, you gain the following benefits:

• You gain a bonus to damage rolls against the cursed target. The bonus equals your proficiency bonus.
  • Any attack roll you make against the cursed target is a critical hit on a roll of 19 or 20 on the d20.
  • If the cursed target dies, you regain hit points equal to your warlock level + your Charisma modifier (minimum of 1 hit point).

You can’t use this feature again until you finish a short or long rest.

Grovel, Cower, and Beg (Reskinned Draconic Cry).

As a bonus action, you let out a cry at your enemies within 10 feet of you. Until the start of your next turn, you and your allies have advantage on attack rolls against any of those enemies who could hear you. You can use this trait a number of times equal to your proficiency bonus, and you regain all expended uses when you finish a long rest.

Spellcasting

Spell Slots:  2 / 2

Hunni is a spellcaster.  Her spell slots are at 1st level.  She has 2 spell slots.  Her spellcasting attribute is Charisma.  Spell Save DC 13.  Spell Attack Modifier +5.  She can use an arcane focus as a spellcasting focus.

• Cantrips:  Eldritch Blast, Infestation, Prestidigitation
  • Spells Known:  Armor of Agathys, Wrathful Smite, Hex, Dissonant Whispers, Unseen Servant
  • Invocations:  Devil's Sight, Agonizing Blast

Edited by KingGoblin (see edit history)
Name
Initiative
1d20+2 13

Sir Not-Appearing-in-This-Game McHolyGrail IIIModri

Hill Dwarf Outlander Wild Magic Barbarian

AC: 16 (+1Dex + 3Con + 2Shield ) | HP: 31/31 (2d12+6+4+1) | Speed: 25 ft.
Senses: passive Perception 11, Insight 11, Investigation 10
Str: 16 (+3) | Dex: 13 (+1) | Con: 16 (+3) | Int: 10 (+0) | Wis: 12 (+1) | Cha: 8 (-1)
Languages: You can speak, read, and write Common, Dwarvish, Elvish

With the people he paid drinks for, he's all too eager to regale them with the fight against the strange dragon-like creatures, each retelling more embellished and less accurate than the less, though at least the spirit is true. In turn, he's all too good an audience laughing at bad jokes, getting caught up in stories good and bad alike.

As the "mock" battle begins, a grim look takes over his face.

"No stopping, only fightin!" If there's any question to whether the wild dwarf is joking, he follows it up with one more comment. "Someone grab my hammer."

"AT ME YOU TRICKSY MICE! HAVE A REAL FIGHT, AHARHARHAR!"

And yet there's no joy in his laugh. He can respect the cleverness, but not the motive, whatever it may be. He rushes straight for the nearest mercenaries, the nearest traitors with only his prop spear and shield in hand.

OOC

Will move full 25' towards the enemies. Action to Dodge (and yell at them to get their attention). Bonus Action Rage.

Edited by Peacemonger (see edit history)
Name
Initiative
1d20+1 18

Senses:  Darkvision 60 ft; Passive Perception 11, Passive Insight 11, Passive Investigation 14

16 (+5)

Spell-casting: +5 or DC 131st 3/3 | Inspiration: 2/3

Mery gathers her 'safe' arrows, studying them a moment. 'Let's hope that the number 13 isn't an omen of bad luck!'

She finds a spot with the other archers, but doesn't even have time to put the blunted arrows into her quiver when Hunni and Modri alert everyone that the attack is real. Some of her growing up experiences have taught her to act first, think second, so she throws the blunted arrows to the ground, then pulls out one of the stacks of real arrows that she didn't turn in when she got her safety arrows and slides them into her quiver.

Taking a deep breath, she focuses on moving quickly, but feels like she's moving through molasses.

She looks around for someone to inspire, and seeing Modri racing toward an enemy, sings

🎵And I'll rise up
High like the waves 🎶
🎵I'll rise up
In spite of the ache 🎶
🎵I'll rise up
And I'll do it a thousand times again 🎶

OOC

Action:  Load arrows into quiver

Bonus Action: inspire Modri

Reaction:

Actions & Resources

Actions:

Shortbow (simple, ranged, ammunition, two-handed). Ranged Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, ranged 80/320 ft., one target.

Dagger (light, ranged or melee). Ranged Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, ranged 20/80 ft., one target.

Bonus Actions:

Healing Word

A creature of your choice that you can see within range regains hit points equal to 1d4 + your spellcasting ability modifier. This spell has no effect on undead or constructs.

At Higher Levels. When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 2nd level or higher, the healing increases by 1d4 for each slot level above 1st.

As a bonus action, a creature (other than yourself) within 60 ft. that can hear you gains an inspiration die (1d6). For 10 minutes, the creature can add it to one ability check, attack roll, or saving throw. This can be added after seeing the roll, but before knowing the outcome.

Ammunition:

Spellcasting:

Mery is a 1st-level spellcaster. Her spellcasting ability is Charisma (spell save DC 13, +5 to hit with spell attacks). She has the following bards available for spontaneous casting from her first level slots: 

Class Features:

• 3/3 Bardic Inspiration
  • Song of Rest (Use on any short rest - anyone who hears her performance and chooses to regain a hit die gains an extra 1d6 of HP.)
  • Jack of All Trades (add 1/2 proficiency bonus, rounded down, to any ability check you make that doesn't already include your proficiency bonus.)

OOC

Reminder: Mery rolled a 10 for initiative.

Music Credit: Rise Up, written by Jennifer Decilveo

Ignore dice rolls - I forgot I had to get Mery's real arrows situated in her quiver.

Name
Attack roll
1d20+4 6
damage, if any
1d6+2 3

token_1.png.ba18d35c074c2d2a05b1e13a8e573631.pngDecimus - Initiate of High Sorcery | Bladesinger Wizard | Human

AC: 13  | HP: 14/14 | Speed: 30 ft | Spell-casting: +5 / DC 13
Senses: Passive Perception 12, Insight 12, Investigation 15
STR: Score: -1
Athletics: -1
| DEXScore: +3
Acrobatics: +3
Stealth: +3
Sleight of Hand: +3
:
 16 | CONScore: 214 | INTScore: +3
Arcana: +5
History: +5
Investigation: +5
Religion: +5
:
 16 | WISScore: 0

Animal Handling: 0
Insight: +2
Medicine: 0
Perception: +2
Survival: 0
:
 10 | CHAScore: -1

Deception: -1
Intimidation: -1
Performance: -1
Persuasion: -1
:

Languages: Common, Abyssal, Celestial, Primordial

FeatsWar CasterPrerequisite: The ability to cast at least one spell
You have practiced casting Spells in the midst of Combat, learning Techniques that grant you the following benefits:
You have advantage on Constitution Saving Throws that you make to maintain your Concentration on a spell when you take damage.
You can perform the somatic Components of Spells even when you have Weapons or a Shield in one or both hands.
When a Hostile creature’s Movement provokes an opportunity Attack from you, you can use your Reaction to Cast a Spell at the creature, rather than making an opportunity Attack. The spell must have a Casting Time of 1 Action and must target only that creature.

| FeaturesRitual CastingYou can cast a wizard spell as a ritual if that spell has the ritual tag and you have the spell in your spellbook. You don’t need to have the spell prepared.
Arcane RecoverYou have learned to regain some of your magical energy by studying your spellbook. Once per day when you finish a short rest, you can choose expended spell slots to recover. The spell slots can have a combined level that is equal to or less than half your wizard level (rounded up), and none of the slots can be 6th level or higher. For example, if you’re a 4th-level wizard, you can recover up to two levels worth of spell slots. You can recover either a 2nd-level spell slot or two 1st-level spell slots.
BladesongYou can invoke an elven magic called the Bladesong, provided that you aren't wearing medium or heavy armor or using a shield. It graces you with supernatural speed, agility, and focus. You can use a bonus action to start the Bladesong, which lasts for 1 minute. It ends early if you are incapacitated, if you don medium or heavy armor or a shield, or if you use two hands to make an attack with a weapon. You can also dismiss the Bladesong at any time (no action required). While your Bladesong is active, you gain the following benefits: You gain a bonus to your AC equal to your Intelligence modifier (minimum of +1). Your walking speed increases by 10 feet. You have advantage on Dexterity (Acrobatics) checks. You gain a bonus to any Constitution saving throw you make to maintain your concentration on a spell. The bonus equals your Intelligence modifier (minimum of +1). You can use this feature a number of times equal to your proficiency bonus, and you regain all expended uses of it when you finish a long rest.

| ActionsRapierATTACK: DEX [3]+ Proficiency [2]
RANGE: 5ft
MAGIC BONUS: 0
CRIT RANGE: 20
DAMAGE: 1d8 + DEX [3]
TYPE: Piercing
DESCRIPTION: melee weapon (martial, sword)

Bladesinging Rapier StrikeATTACK: DEX [3]+ Proficiency [2]
RANGE: 5ft
MAGIC BONUS: 0
CRIT RANGE: 20
DAMAGE: 1d8 + DEX [3]
TYPE: Piercing
DESCRIPTION: melee weapon (martial, sword) 

| SpellsCantrips
Blade WardBlade Ward
Abjuration cantrip
Casting Time:1 action
Range: Self
Target: Self
Components: V S
Duration: 1 round
Description:You extend your hand and trace a sigil of warding in the air. Until the end of your next turn, you have resistance against bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing damage dealt by weapon attacks.

Booming BladeBooming Blade
Evocation cantrip
Casting Time:1 action
Range: Self (5ft radius)
Target: One creature within the spell’s range
Components: V, M (a melee weapon worth at least 1 sp)
Duration: 1 round
Description:You brandish the weapon used in the spell's casting and make a melee attack with it against one creature within 5 feet of you. On a hit, the target suffers the weapon attack’s normal effects and then becomes sheathed in booming energy until the start of your next turn. If the target willingly moves 5 feet or more before then, it immediately takes 1d8 thunder damage, and the spell ends. This spell’s damage increases when you reach certain levels. At 5th level, the melee attack deals an extra 1d8 thunder damage to the target on a hit, and the damage the target takes for moving increases to 2d8. Both damage rolls increase by 1d8 at 11th level (2d8 and 3d8) and again at 17th level (3d8 and 4d8).

Green Flame Blade1st Level Evocation
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: Self (5-foot radius)
Target: One creature within the spell’s range
Components: V, M (a melee weapon worth at least 1 sp)
Duration: Instantaneous
Classes: Sorcerer, Warlock, Wizard
Description: You brandish the weapon used in the spell's casting and make a melee attack with it against one creature within 5 feet of you. On a hit, the target suffers the weapon attack’s normal effects, and you can cause green fire to leap from the target to a different creature of your choice that you can see within 5 feet of it. The second creature takes fire damage equal to your spellcasting ability modifier. This spell’s damage increases when you reach certain levels. At 5th level, the melee attack deals an extra 1d8 fire damage to the target on a hit, and the fire damage to the second creature increases to 1d8 + your spellcasting ability modifier. Both damage rolls increase by 1d8 at 11th level (2d8 and 2d8) and 17th level (3d8 and 3d8).

1st-Level
Expeditious Retreat1st Level Transmutation
Casting Time: 1 bonus action
Duration: Concentration, up to 10 minutes
Classes: Artificer, Sorcerer, Warlock, Wizard
Description: This spell allows you to move at an incredible pace. When you cast this spell, and then as a bonus action on each of your turns until the spell ends, you can take the Dash action.

Magic Missile1st Level Evocation
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: 120ft
Target: A creature of your choice that you can see within range
Classes: Sorcerer, Wizard
Description: You create three glowing darts of magical force. Each dart hits a creature of your choice that you can see within range. A dart deals 1d4 + 1 force damage to its target. The darts all strike simultaneously, and you can direct them to hit one creature or several. At Higher Levels: When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 2nd level or higher, the spell creates one more dart for each slot level above 1st.

Tensors Floating Disk1st Level Conjuration
Casting Time: 1 Action
Range: 30 Feet
Target: An unoccupied space of your choice that you can see within range
Components: V S M (A drop of mercury)
Duration: 1 Hour
Classes: Wizard
Description: This spell creates a circular, horizontal plane of force, 3 feet in diameter and 1 inch thick, that floats 3 feet above the ground in an unoccupied space of your choice that you can see within range. The disk remains for the duration, and can hold up to 500 pounds. If more weight is placed on it, the spell ends, and everything on the disk falls to the ground. The disk is immobile while you are within 20 feet of it. If you move more than 20 feet away from it, the disk follows you so that it remains within 20 feet of you. It can move across uneven terrain, up or down stairs, slopes and the like, but it can’t cross an elevation change of 10 feet or more. For example, the disk can’t move across a 10-foot-deep pit, nor could it leave such a pit if it was created at the bottom. If you move more than 100 feet from the disk (typically because it can’t move around an obstacle to follow you), the spell ends.

Tash's Hideous Laughter1st Level Enchantment
Target: A creature of your choice that you can see within range
Components: V S M (Tiny tarts and a feather that is waved in the air)
Duration: Concentration, up to 1 minute
Classes: Bard, Wizard
Description: A creature of your choice that you can see within range perceives everything as hilariously funny and falls into fits of laughter if this spell affects it. The target must succeed on a Wisdom saving throw or fall prone, becoming incapacitated and unable to stand up for the duration. A creature with an Intelligence score of 4 or less isn’t affected. At the end of each of its turns, and each time it takes damage, the target can make another Wisdom saving throw. The target has advantage on the saving throw if it’s triggered by damage. On a success, the spell ends.

Identify1st Level Divination [Ritual]
Casting Time: 1 Minute
Range: Touch
Target: One object that you must touch throughout the casting of the spell
Components: V S M (A pearl worth at least 100 gp and an owl feather)
Classes: Artificer, Bard, Wizard
Description: You choose one object that you must touch throughout the casting of the spell. If it is a magic item or some other magic-imbued object, you learn its properties and how to use them, whether it requires attunement to use, and how many charges it has, if any. You learn whether any spells are affecting the item and what they are. If the item was created by a spell, you learn which spell created it. If you instead touch a creature throughout the casting, you learn what spells, if any, are currently affecting it.

Detect Magic1st Level Divination
Duration: Concentration, up to 10 minutes
Classes: Artificer, Bard, Cleric, Druid, Paladin, Ranger, Sorcerer, Wizard
Description: For the duration, you sense the presence of magic within 30 feet of you. If you sense magic in this way, you can use your action to see a faint aura around any visible creature or object in the area that bears magic, and you learn its school of magic, if any. The spell can penetrate most barriers, but it is blocked by 1 foot of stone, 1 inch of common metal, a thin sheet of lead, or 3 feet of wood or dirt.

Absorb Elements1st Level Abjuration
Casting Time: 1 Reaction, which you take when you take acid, cold, fire, lightning, or thunder damage
Components: S
Classes: Artificer, Druid, Ranger, Sorcerer, Wizard
Description: The spell captures some of the incoming energy, lessening its effect on you and storing it for your next melee attack. You have resistance to the triggering damage type until the start of your next turn. Also, the first time you hit with a melee attack on your next turn, the target takes an extra 1d6 damage of the triggering type, and the spell ends. At Higher Levels: When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 2nd level or higher, the extra damage increases by 1d6 for each slot level above 1st.

Charm Person1st Level Enchantment
Target: A humanoid you can see within range
Classes: Bard, Druid, Sorcerer, Warlock, Wizard
Description: You attempt to charm a humanoid you can see within range. It must make a Wisdom saving throw, and does so with advantage if you or your companions are fighting it. If it fails the saving throw, it is charmed by you until the spell ends or until you or your companions do anything harmful to it. The charmed creature regards you as a friendly acquaintance. When the spell ends, the creature knows it was charmed by you.
At Higher Levels: When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 2nd level or higher, you can target one additional creature for each slot level above 1st. The creatures must be within 30 feet of each other when you target them.

Comprehend Languages1st Level Divination [Ritual]
Components: V S M (A pinch of soot and salt)
Classes: Bard, Sorcerer, Warlock, Wizard
Description: For the duration, you understand the literal meaning of any spoken language that you hear. You also understand any written language that you see, but you must be touching the surface on which the words are written. It takes about 1 minute to read one page of text. This spell doesn’t decode secret messages in a text or a glyph, such as an arcane sigil, that isn’t part of a written language.
[Initiate of High Sorcery Feat]
Shield1st Level Abjuration
Casting Time: 1 reaction, which you take when you are hit by an attack or targeted by the magic missile spell
Duration: 1 Round
Classes: Sorcerer, Wizard
Description: An invisible barrier of magical force appears and protects you. Until the start of your next turn, you have a +5 bonus to AC, including against the triggering attack, and you take no damage from magic missile.
[Initiate of High Sorcery Feat]

Sitting on a log under a big tree reading his notes is a return to his normal life, and Decimus feels quite fulfilled by the peaceful action, even when the whole town was vibrating with excitement about the upcoming reenactment. Instead of a relaxing and enjoyable book of poetry though, he was hard at work, eyebrows furrowed, trying to untangle the weave in his mind and recall the complexities of the spells so that he could once again impart them onto the pages. It was frustrating work, and would likely take quite some time, but it was the sort of work he thrived at. So involved with the transcription was he, that when the 'combat' started, he was only vaguely aware of the noises in the background. Still working on his notes, it was not until he heard Hunni scream about real weapons that he managed to pull his nose from the book in his lap and gaze toward what was happening around the hill below. Luckily he still had a couple of his spells available to him, and as he pressed his back against the tree, using it to stand up quickly, an arcane enchantment spilled from his lips, his hands forming seals in timing with the words, the hairpin in his still damp hair glowing with ethereal energy as the magic infused itself in his body. There was nowhere within the walls of combat he could not reach at a moments notice with the Expeditious Retreat spell coursing through his muscles.

spacer.png

OOCAction: N/A

Bonus Action: Cast Expeditious Retreat

Movement: N/A

Reaction: N/A

Edited by tyrtaeus (see edit history)
Name
Initiative
1d20+3 2

image.png.f43e797dc98446c97baef5b972307405.pngArtanis Brightblade

Human Knight of Solamnia 

AC: 18 (Chainmail, Shield) | HP: 15/15 (5 THP) | Speed: 30 ft.
Senses: passive Perception 11, Insight 13, Investigation 9
StrSave: +3

Carrying Capacity: 255 lb.
Lift/Push/Drag: 510 lb.
:
17 (+3) | DexInitiative: +2★
★ Add Cha to Initiative (class feature)
☆ disadvantage on Dexterity (Stealth) checks from Chainmail Armor.
:
 8 (–1) | ConSave: +1: 13 (+1) | IntSave: -1
Arcana: -1
History: -1
Nature: -1
:
Animal Handling: +3
:
Deception: +3
:
16 (+3)

Languages: You can speak, read, and write Common and Solamnic

DR3 vs nonmagical bludgeoning, slashing, piercing

My words,  | My thoughts,’  | My actions . . .

Artanis approaches the champion Kai with a good-natured laugh. "Guess the drinks are on me then!" he declares, grasping the sea elf's forearm and shaking firmly, before teasing again "You sure you weren't whispering something to those fish?" He lets out an appreciative whistle as Benebog jumps free, scales glinting in the sunlight amidst coruscating spray. "Guess not, otherwise you'd have caught that beauty!"

He follows the crowd away from the wharf back towards the market place, tucking the wooden kingfisher away into his belt pouch. It would serve as a nice reminder of the journey. "Looks like we've got time for at least one round before the re-enactment, though I'll need to go sort out my armour before we start - have to make sure it's freshly oiled for something like this, especially with Ispin's shield on show." He heads back to the rickety wooden bar beneath the tree and buys his fellow competitors - Decimus, Huuni and Kai - their drink of choice, joining them for a pint before he heads back to the inn.

Atop the hill Artanis waves the Greenshield high for all to see, encouraging on the militia near him even has he makes idle chatter about their livelihoods and family. At the sound of the horn, Artanis charges down the hill with abandon, green shield leading the way. Through the clamour, he just about hears Huuni and Modri shout, slowing slightly in confusion as he sees Modri discard the padded weapon and draw his axe! "Cudgel? What's happening?" he tries to shout across the rabble, before making sure his own gear is strapped properly for battle, and not just a lark.

OOC

Action: 

Bonus Action: 

Movement: 

Reaction: 

Object Interaction: 

Actions & Resources

Actions:

Longsword (versatile). Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 7 (1d8 + 3) slashing damage. Versatile damage: 8 (1d10 + 3) slashing damage.

Javelin (range, thrown) [3]. Thrown Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, ranged 30/120 ft., one target. Hit: 6 (1d6 + 3) piercing damage.

Battlefield Presence.When you take the Attack action, in place of making an attack, you can use your Battlefield Presence to grant a friendly creature that can see or hear you an additional attack the next time they take the Attack action during their turn. Any additional attacks granted that are unused at the start of your next turn are lost. A friendly creature can only gain one additional attack from this feature per round from this feature.

Bonus Actions:

Rallying Mark As a bonus action, you can expend a number of Leadership Dice (up to your per turn limit) to rally your allies to attack a hostile creature within 60 feet of you.

The next time damage is rolled against that target by an allied creature before the start of your next turn, they can add the Leadership Dice to the damage roll, and the attacking creature regains hit points equal to the amount rolled on the Leadership Dice.

Urgent Orders As a bonus action, you can expend a number of Leadership Dice (up to your per turn limit) to guide your allies in expeditious action.

Target an allied creature within 60 feet of you that can see or hear you, that creature can immediately use its reaction to move up to its movement speed (up to a maximum of 30 feet) without provoking opportunity attacks. Roll the leadership dice expended, the target gains temporary hit points equal to the value rolled.

Helpful Word As a bonus action, you can spend a Leadership Die to take the Help action. When you use the Help action to aid an ally in attacking a creature, the target of that attack can be within 30 feet of you, rather than within 5 feet of you, if your ally can see or hear you.

Class Features:

Precise Strike. 2/2 (Long Rest)

Leadership Dice (d6). 2/2 (Short Rest, 1/turn)

Lead the Charge. When you roll initiative you gain temporary hit points equal to your Charisma modifier + your proficiency bonus (5 THP).

Name
Initiative
1d20+2 3

At the Festival

When Mery speaks to Lord Bakaris, her words seem to get through his thick, drunk skull and he grumbles some slurs before sloughing off.

A man approaches Mery and says, “Miss, I just wanna say ‘thank you’. This is the second time I’ve seen you talk that . . . dirty ponce into sodding off. Is there anything ye’d let me buy fer you? . . . In thanks, is all.”

Round I

The unexpected sound of metal clashing on armor rings across the field, silencing laughter and melodramatic boasts. A ribbon of red splashes over the grassy hill, followed by shocked screams. Any pretense of a reenactment shatters—High Hill is the site of a true battle once more. Within moments, all around you, armed mercenaries attack unprepared villagers fighting for their lives.

With the battle started, five warhorse-riding mercenaries exited the fray—a terrible thrum of fighting. They all race towards you up the hill, and only by virtue of the hill taking two feet of movement for every foot moved to climb, they’d have overrun you! You’re very fortunate that they merely dashed!

One of them, however, circles south, around the wall and begins scaling the hill from near the cart! As he rides by, he shoves his spear into the peasant woman who was manning the prop-weapons cart—the one where Mery had checked her arrows. The woman screams in agony as the spear thrust into her, but fortunate that she wasn’t killed right then.

“Aggie!” the man with her cried out as his wife fell to the ground.

The woman and the man crawl underneath the cart to take cover.

When Artanis calls out for Cudgel, he finds her mixed in the fray, fighting—quite impressively!—but she is nonetheless stuck in the fray.

Round II

Merc 1 takes a stab at Artanis. “I’ll be taking that shield with me, boy!” he growls. “How’d you get it!?” The spear flies past him as he dodges!

Merc 2 thrusts his spear at Modri. His attack is at disadvantage because Modri took the dodge action. Unfortunately, the single-handed spear-thrust hits its mark, dealing 3 piercing damage6 + 1 = 7 ÷ 2 = 3 (rounded down)

Because Modri is raging, the damage is cut in half.
to Modri!

Merc 3 stabs at Modri, but his spear thrust is wild and uncoordinated, and not even close!

Merc 4 tries to stab at Hunni, but he’s quite surprised at just how hard it is to hit her!

Merc 5 moves around for a better position, but otherwise can do nothing this round.

OOC

Party Initiative, Average 11.5

Enemy Initiative, Average 11.8

Merc Stats (please roll saves for them in your own posts)

• AC: 16
  • HP: 11
  • SVs: +1/+1/+1/+0/+0/+0
  • Merc 1: 11/11
  • Merc 2: 11/11
  • Merc 3: 11/11
  • Merc 4: 11/11
  • Merc 5: 11/11

The horses all take the dodge action, imposing disadvantage on your attacks against them.

Warhorse Stats (please roll saves for them in your own posts)

• AC: 11
  • HP: 19
  • SVs: +4/+1/+1/–4/+1/–2
  • Merc 1: 19/19
  • Merc 2: 19/19
  • Merc 3: 19/19
  • Merc 4: 19/19
  • Merc 5: 19/19

Ignore all the rolls after the Attack on Hunni. Those were eff-ups based on a misinterpretation of the rules.

spacer.png

Edited by Kamishiro_Rin (see edit history)
Name
roll
1d20+1 17
roll
1d20+1 5
roll
1d20+1 6
roll
1d20+1 10
roll
1d20+1 16
Merituuli Initiative
1d20+2 5
Ride-by Attack against the Peasant Woman
1d20+3 13
Piercing Damage from a Spear
1d6+1 1
Merc 1 Attack on Artanis
1d20+3 9
Merc 2 Attack on Modri (Disad)
keep(2d20,lowest,1)+3 15,18
Piercing Damage from a Spear on Modri
1d6+1/2 6
Merc 3 Attack on Modri (Disad)
keep(2d20,lowest,1)+3 2,2
Merc 4 Attack on Hunni
1d20+3 10
Ride-by Attack against the Peasant Woman (ad)
1d20+3 9
Merc 1 Attack on Artanis (ad)
1d20+3 6
Merc 3 Attack on Modri (re-roll)
1d20+3 6
Merc 2 Attack on Modri (Re-Roll)
1d20+3 20
Crit Damage on Modri
1d6 6

Sir Not-Appearing-in-This-Game McHolyGrail IIIModri

Hill Dwarf Outlander Wild Magic Barbarian

AC: 16 (+1Dex + 3Con + 2Shield ) | HP: 28/31 (2d12+6+4+1) | Speed: 25 ft.
Senses: passive Perception 11, Insight 11, Investigation 10
Str: 16 (+3) | Dex: 13 (+1) | Con: 16 (+3) | Int: 10 (+0) | Wis: 12 (+1) | Cha: 8 (-1)
Languages: You can speak, read, and write Common, Dwarvish, Elvish

Finally, someone manages a nick off Modri, but he can't say it's much of a wound. Is the world growing softer, or is the Dwarf getting tougher? "No wonder you little mice had to trick the village. I know alley cats that've given a better swipe than that you delicate, tender little thing!

"COME FOR MODRI! COME FOR A REAL WARRIOR!"

Not caring that his weapon in hand is blunt he makes a wild attack with it, and anyone with any combat sense can see the Dwarf is exposing his front... his side... he's practically begging to be stabbed.

OOC

Action to attack Mercenary to Modri's left. Reckless attack since he's already flanked, and because why not?

Name
Reckless Attack
keep(2d20,highest)+5 11,12
Non-Lethal Damage
1d6+5 5

16 (+5)

Spell-casting: +5 or DC 131st 3/3 | Inspiration: 1/3

Before the Re-Enactment

Mery turns wide eyes to the man, completely startled by his offer. "Oh, umm, I was just doing what anyone would have done - using what talents I have to try to make a difference. I'm Mery Keryndon, and I came to town for Ispin's funeral. It's a pleasure to meet you. I'll tell you what - I kind of need to get down to the re-enactment right now, but once the festivities are over, if you want to drop by the Brass Crab, I'll take you up on that offer. Alcohol doesn't really agree with me, but if we can find something non-alcoholic, you're welcome to buy me a drink. Maybe we can chat about life in Vogler."

Once she's learned the man's name, she heads down to the re-enactment, giving a friendly wave as she goes.

At the Re-Enactmentment

Deciding to let those of her friends who can handle melee combat handle the closest mercenaries, she seeks one in the rear her arrows can hit, and her attention settles on the one behind the mercenary who tried to attack Hunni. Nocking an arrow, she takes a moment to release her fear, then aims at the rider and looses, breaking out into a grin when the arrow strikes true! It doesn't seem to do a ton of damage, but she'll take what she can get.

"Take that, you betraying bugger!"

Fragments of a pre-Cataclysmic Ergothan battle song about Corij, the Ergothan name for Kiri-Jolith, float into her mind, and so she looks at Artanis and sings them, deciding to inspire the young knight.

🎵When your enemy presses in hard, do not fear
The battle belongs to Corij 🎶
🎵Take courage my friend, your redemption is near
The battle belongs to Corij 🎶
🎵And we sing glory and honor,
Power and strength to Corij🎶
🎵And we sing glory and honor,
Power and strength to Corij🎶

OOC

Action:  Shoot an arrow at Merc #5

Bonus Action: Inspire Artanis - 1d6

Reaction:

Actions & Resources

Actions:

Bonus Actions:

Healing Word

Ammunition:

Spellcasting:

Class Features:

• 3/3 Bardic Inspiration

OOC

Music Credit: The Battle Belongs to the Lord, by Jamie Owens-Collins with a few amendments by me to make it appropriate for Dragonlance.

Name
attack 1 vs Merc 5
1d20+4 17
damage, attack 1
1d6+2 2

image.png.f43e797dc98446c97baef5b972307405.pngArtanis Brightblade

Human Knight of Solamnia 

AC: 18 (Chainmail, Shield) | HP: 15/15 (5 THP) | Speed: 30 ft.
Senses: passive Perception 11, Insight 13, Investigation 9
StrSave: +3

Carrying Capacity: 255 lb.
Lift/Push/Drag: 510 lb.
:
17 (+3) | DexInitiative: +2★
★ Add Cha to Initiative (class feature)
☆ disadvantage on Dexterity (Stealth) checks from Chainmail Armor.
:
 8 (–1) | ConSave: +1: 13 (+1) | IntSave: -1
Arcana: -1
History: -1
Nature: -1
:
Animal Handling: +3
:
Deception: +3
:
16 (+3)

Languages: You can speak, read, and write Common and Solamnic

DR3 vs nonmagical bludgeoning, slashing, piercing

My words,  | My thoughts,’  | My actions . . .

As the horsemen charge up the hill, Artanis' training guides his actions. This battle is more familiar ground, similar to the reenactments he is used to, save for the real malice behind the mercenaries. Motivation can be dealt with later though, and he falls back to tactics easier to process. "Decimus!" he orders, "We need real weapons! The cart!" At least Modri, himself and Decimus are unarmed, but hopefully this will be corrected soon. Other aspects are in his hands to alter. "You want this shield?" he yells at his attacker, "try it!"

He shoves the greenshield into the rider, trying to force him from the horse. It's difficult to get the right leverage from below the mercenary, but Artanis takes inspiration from Mery's tune, and drives the shield deep. Luckily for Artanis, the mercenary has overextended in his strike, be it through inexperience or arrogance, and is unable to maintain his balance as he is thrown to the rocky ground.

With practiced ease Artanis swings himself up into the saddle, quieting the horse as he does so, and whirls it around to face the enemy. From astride the stallion he cries "For honour! For Vogler!", raising the Greenshield high for all to see, as he charges after Decimus to collect the weapons.

OOC

Action: Shove Merc1

Bonus Action: "Urgent Orders" on Decimus; gain 4THP and immediately move up to 30ft without provoking opportunity attacks

Movement: 5ft to mount horse

Reaction: 

Object Interaction: 

Mount Action: Disengage

Mount Movement: Towards the cart

Actions & Resources

Actions:

Longsword (versatile). Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 7 (1d8 + 3) slashing damage. Versatile damage: 8 (1d10 + 3) slashing damage.

Javelin (range, thrown) [3]. Thrown Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, ranged 30/120 ft., one target. Hit: 6 (1d6 + 3) piercing damage.

Battlefield Presence.When you take the Attack action, in place of making an attack, you can use your Battlefield Presence to grant a friendly creature that can see or hear you an additional attack the next time they take the Attack action during their turn. Any additional attacks granted that are unused at the start of your next turn are lost. A friendly creature can only gain one additional attack from this feature per round from this feature.

Bonus Actions:

Rallying Mark As a bonus action, you can expend a number of Leadership Dice (up to your per turn limit) to rally your allies to attack a hostile creature within 60 feet of you.

The next time damage is rolled against that target by an allied creature before the start of your next turn, they can add the Leadership Dice to the damage roll, and the attacking creature regains hit points equal to the amount rolled on the Leadership Dice.

Urgent Orders As a bonus action, you can expend a number of Leadership Dice (up to your per turn limit) to guide your allies in expeditious action.

Target an allied creature within 60 feet of you that can see or hear you, that creature can immediately use its reaction to move up to its movement speed (up to a maximum of 30 feet) without provoking opportunity attacks. Roll the leadership dice expended, the target gains temporary hit points equal to the value rolled.

Helpful Word As a bonus action, you can spend a Leadership Die to take the Help action. When you use the Help action to aid an ally in attacking a creature, the target of that attack can be within 30 feet of you, rather than within 5 feet of you, if your ally can see or hear you.

Class Features:

Precise Strike. 2/2 (Long Rest)

Leadership Dice (d6). 2/2 (Short Rest, 1/turn)

Lead the Charge. When you roll initiative you gain temporary hit points equal to your Charisma modifier + your proficiency bonus (5 THP).

Edited by PureChance (see edit history)
Name
Leadership Die
1d6 4
Athletics (Shove)
1d20+5 1
Inspiration!
1d6 2
Merc1 Contested Athletics
1d20+1 3
Merc1 DEX Sv (DC10)
1d20+1 7

spacer.pngColtan Bluetemper

Level 2 Neidar Folk Hero Forge Cleric

AC: 18 (Chain Mail +2 Shield) | HP: 21/21 (2d8+6+2) | Speed: 25 ft.
Senses: Darkvision 60 ft., Passive Perception 15, Insight 13, Investigation 12
StrSave: +2

Carrying Capacity: 210 lb.
Lift/Push/Drag: 420 lb.
:
14 (+2) | DexInitiative: −1

☆ Chain mail gives disadvantage
:
8 (–1) | ConSave: +3: 16 (+3) | IntSave: +0

Investigation: +2
Nature: +0
Religion: +2
:
10 (+0) | WisSave: +5

Perception: +5
:
16 (+3) | ChaSave: +2

Deception: +0
Intimidation: +0
Performance: +0
Persuasion: +2
:
10 (+0)

Languages: Speak, read, and write Common and Dwarvish

Coltan coped with his surprise at the real attack by following his companions to a defensible location near the wall. He dropped his padded hammer and pulled his holy hammer from his belt. The warm grip comforted him and reinforced his confidence in Reorx and the situation.

The smith waited for Artanis who put the cavalry rider on the ground. Then, he attempted to treat the prone man like a tent peg. But, his hammer glanced off the rider’s armour.

OOC

Action: Attack Merc 1

Bonus Action:

Movement: To be in melee with Merc 1

Reaction:

Use Object: Draw holy hammer

Actions and Resources

Actions

+1 Holy Warhammer (versatile). Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target.
Hit: 1d8 + 3 magic, fire damage.
Versatile damage: 1d10 + 3 magic, fire damage.

Handaxe (light, thrown). Melee & Ranged Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, ranged 20/60 ft., one target.
Hit: 1d6 + 2 slashing damage.

Dagger (light, thrown). Melee & Ranged Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, ranged 20/60 ft., one target.
Hit: 1d4 + 2 piercing damage.

Spell-casting: +5 or DC 13 | 1st 3/3

Cantrips

1. Sacred Flame (V, S). Spell Attack: Dex DC 13, ranged 60 ft., one target.  Fail: 1d8 radiant damage.
  2. Word of Radiance (V, M). Spell Attack: Con DC 13, ranged 5 ft., each creature of your choice. Fail: 1d6 radiant damage.
  3. Light (V,M).  You touch one object that is no larger than 10 feet in any dimension. Until the spell ends, the object sheds bright light in a 20-foot radius and dim light for an additional 20 feet. The light can be colored as you like. Completely covering the object with something opaque blocks the light. The spell ends if you cast it again or dismiss it as an action.  If you target an object held or worn by a hostile creature, that creature must succeed on a Dexterity saving throw to avoid the spell.

1st level spells prepared

1. Bless (V,S,M).  You bless up to three creatures of your choice within 30 ft. Whenever a target makes an attack roll or a saving throw before the spell ends, the target can roll a d4 and add the number rolled to the attack roll or saving throw.  Concentration up to 1 minute.
  2. Cure Wounds (V,S).  A creature you touch regains a number of hit points equal to 1d8 + your spellcasting ability modifier. This spell has no effect on undead or constructs.
  3. Detect Magic (V,S) Ritual. For the duration, you sense the presence of magic within 30 feet of you. If you sense magic in this way, you can use your action to see a faint aura around any visible creature or object in the area that bears magic, and you learn its school of magic, if any.  The spell can penetrate most barriers, but it is blocked by 1 foot of stone, 1 inch of common metal, a thin sheet of lead, or 3 feet of wood or dirt.  Concentration up to 10 minutes.
  4. Healing Word (V) Bonus.  A creature of your choice that you can see within range regains hit points equal to 1d4 + your spellcasting ability modifier. This spell has no effect on undead or constructs.
  5. Guiding Bolt (V,S).  Make a ranged spell attack against the target within 120 feet. On a hit, the target takes 4d6 radiant damage, and the next attack roll made against this target before the end of your next turn has advantage

Channel Divinity: 1/1 short rest

Turn Undead.  Expend a use of your Channel Divinity as an action to make each undead that can see or hear you within 30 feet of you to make a Wisdom DC 13. If the creature fails its saving throw, it is turned for 1 minute or until it takes any damage.

Harness Divine Power.  As a bonus action, expend a use of your Channel Divinity to regain one expended spell slot, the level of which can be no higher than half your proficiency bonus (rounded up).

Edited by JubalBreakbottle (see edit history)
Name
Hammer vs prone Merc 1
keep(2d20,highest,1)+5 10,8

MerituuliToken.png.53f9774174cd1fbd27a1aa51cf1736c8.pngMerituuli Kaiutin

Level 2 Sea Elf Far Traveler Beast Master Ranger

AC: 18 (Scale Mail, +2 Shield) | HP: 24/24 (2d10+4+4) | Speed: 30 ft., Swim 30 ft.
Senses: passive Perception 17 (Expertise, Darkvision 60 ft.), Insight 15, Investigation 10
Str:Save: +3
Athletics: +3

Carrying Capacity: 180 lb.
Lift/Push/Drag: 360 lb.
12 (+1) | Dex:Initiative: +2
Sleight of Hand: +2
Stealth: +2☆

☆Disadvantage on Dexterity (Stealth) checks from Scale Mail Armor.
 14 (+2) | Con:Save: +2 14 (+2) | Int:Save: +0
Investigation: +0
Nature: +2
Religion: +0
10 (+0) | Wis:Save: +3
Insight: +5
Perception: +7★

★Expertise in Perception (Deft Explorer - Canny)
17 (+3) | Cha:Save: -1
Deception: -1
Intimidation: -1
Performance: -1
Persuasion: -1
 8 (-1)

Languages: Common, Elvish, Kenderspeak, Kharolian, Khur

“My words” | ‘My thoughts’  | My actions . . .

Raising his final catch high, Merituuli yells out triumphantly just as Benebog breaches the water and splashes back down. Looking to Artanis with a grin, he responds, "I don't think even my fish whispering would've helped with that monster! That said - you owe me a drink!" With a good-natured slap on the back, he follows the knight to the makeshift bar, but not before starting his two new mage friends.

He frowns as he looks at what remains of Decimus's spellbook after his tumble, forlornly musing, "Wish I had brought some of that urchin ink. Hope you can work things out, sorry friend."

Hunni just became an odder and odder case by the moment. There was a name she mentioned that caught his ear even in his meditative state - Jezebelle. And she said she found Jezebelle...

"Hunni, this Jezebelle... when you say you found her, what do you mean? What kind of state was she in?"

At the reenactment, Merituuli gladly takes a blunted spear, but keeps the shell on his back as a good luck charm. It was a good thing, too, as apparently the mercenaries were carrying real weapons according to Hunni. That is confirmed quickly as they move in to slay innocent villagers. His face twisted in disgust, Merituuli tosses the blunt spear aside and grabs the shell from his back, focusing once more before a swirl of sea foam and breeze winds around it. He rushes towards the nearest combatant, ready to strike!

OOC

Action: Attack Merc 4!

Bonus Action: Cast Shillelagh.

Movement: Up to 30 ft. to nearest foe.

Reaction: —

Actions & Resources

Actions:

Baculite Shell (Shillelagh). Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target.
Hit: 1d8+3 bludgeoning damage.

Thorn Whip. Melee Spell Attack: +5 to hit, range 30 ft., one target.
Hit: 1d6 piercing damage.

Heavy Crossbow (heavy, loading, two-handed). Ranged Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, range 100/400 ft., one target.
Hit: 1d10+2 piercing damage.

Dagger (finesse, light, thrown). Melee or Ranged Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, reach 5 ft. or range 20/60 ft., one target.
Hit: 1d4+2 piercing damage.

Baculite Shell (Quarterstaff) (versatile). Melee Weapon Attack: +3 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target.
Hit: 1d6+1 bludgeoning damage.
Versatile damage: 1d8+1 bludgeoning damage.

Net (thrown, special). Ranged Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, range 5/15 ft., one target.
Hit: A Large or smaller creature hit by a net is restrained until it is freed. A net has no effect on creatures that are formless, or creatures that are Huge or larger. A creature can use its action to make a DC 10 Strength check, freeing itself or another creature within its reach on a success. Dealing 5 slashing damage to the net (AC 10) also frees the creature without harming it, ending the effect and destroying the net.

Other:

Favored Foe. When you hit a creature with an attack roll, you can call on your mystical bond with nature to mark the target as your favored enemy for 1 minute or until you lose your concentration (as if you were concentrating on a spell).

The first time on each of your turns that you hit the favored enemy and deal damage to it, including when you mark it, you can increase that damage by 1d4.

You can use this feature to mark a favored enemy a number of times equal to your proficiency bonus, and you regain all expended uses when you finish a long rest.

This feature’s extra damage increases when you reach certain levels in this class: to 1d6 at 6th level and to 1d8 at 14th level.

Friend of the Sea. You can communicate simple ideas to any Beast with a swimming speed. It can understand your words but you cannot understand it in return.

Ammunition:

18/20 Crossbow Bolts

Class Features:

• 2/2 Favored Foe Marks
  • 2/2 1st Level Spell Slots
Edited by PhoenixSlayer (see edit history)
Name
Initiative
1d20+2 12
To Hit
1d20+5 16
Magic Bludgeoning
1d8+3 5