Oasis: OOC Chat

Paxon

A place for general OOC conversation. If you want to ask questions about character creation, please use the dedicated Character Creation Q&A Thread.

There is also a Discord Server for this game: (to be created)

1 hour ago, relekorlagunis said:

What a perfect time for the Spheres Wiki to be down due to Russian hacking!

Geez, I know right? I was a little afraid at first when half my links didn't work. Hope they get everything cleared up.

I don't know how complete it is, but you an use the Internet Wayback Machine to access at least some of the content for now.

Wayback Machine: Spheres of Power

(So far, almost everything I've tried to look at has worked, but that hasn't been all that much as of yet. The Origins sphere didn't work, but I found a Google cahced version of it which, while not pretty, at least works):

Cached Origins sphere

Hesitant to use that Google Cache, since the server's been compromised before Wikidot locked everyone out. Probably nothing bad in the individual pages, but good practice to be wary of anything copying stuff from the site directly, since there's a chance it'll cache malicious data along with the rest of the site. Wayback machine should be fine if it goes back a bit, though, assuming there's an archive going back before the hacks... though I guess that's not super helpful since we don't know if it happened 10 hours ago or 10 days ago >.>

Here's a text-only version of that cached link. It's probably a lot uglier than the one above, but has most of the content besides the words and hyperlinks stripped out, so it's probably safe, in the off-chance there is stuff injected into the pages.
Text-only Cached Origins sphere

Ah, great idea on Wayback. I'm seeing this right after I gave some vague answers in the Q&A thread saying I need to wait to see the Wiki, I'll see if that works well enough that I can view the needed pages.

Well, throwing Nib's caution to the wind, I've been using the Wayback site quite a bit, and the Origin sphere is still the only thing I've come across that it doesn't have, and at this point I've visited the majority of martial spheres and classes, plus a number of archetypes, feats, etc. It seems pretty complete.

If anyone's interested in linking backgrounds, I'd be game for that. I only have a few inklings for my own at this point, so I'd love to work with someone to develop something interesting. (Assuming Pax is okay with that).

30 minutes ago, PigLickJF said:

If anyone's interested in linking backgrounds, I'd be game for that. I only have a few inklings for my own at this point, so I'd love to work with someone to develop something interesting. (Assuming Pax is okay with that).

Probably the best idea to what until all applications are made and the players are picked. It wouldn't do to forge some strong connections to other players, only for them not to be in the final game. We don't have too many characters at this point, but there's a good chance we will have more than I can accept before it's said and done. 

That all said, I won't stop you if you want to chat background with folks, even if you want to bounce ideas around. Just be warned of the above.

Oh yes, that's always a problem with linked backgrounds before selection, I realize that. But as long as no one's assuming the other person is going to be in the game, it can work. If one is accepted into the game and the other isn't, the other character is just some NPC, no different from any other characters in any background.

@Paxon With regards to the various 'Roles' for The Crew, is that something we should be aiming for when putting our characters together (ie should we build the character with a focus towards 'The Commander', or 'The Gunner', or whatever), or will that even be a consideration when you're choosing players?  I ask because I'm giving very serious thought to giving my character Oath Against Harm (he is a Doctor, after all) and if I do that, there are a couple Roles that he straight up wont fit (Gunner, for example).

Or are the Roles something we're going to hash out once The Crew is actually chosen?  And, if so (and if necessary), will we be able to make spot tweaks to our characters once that happens (ie to move around skill points, if someone ends up being The Driver, even though they didn't actually put points into that skill initially)?

8 hours ago, Arklytte said:

@Paxon With regards to the various 'Roles' for The Crew, is that something we should be aiming for when putting our characters together (ie should we build the character with a focus towards 'The Commander', or 'The Gunner', or whatever), or will that even be a consideration when you're choosing players?  I ask because I'm giving very serious thought to giving my character Oath Against Harm (he is a Doctor, after all) and if I do that, there are a couple Roles that he straight up wont fit (Gunner, for example).

Or are the Roles something we're going to hash out once The Crew is actually chosen?  And, if so (and if necessary), will we be able to make spot tweaks to our characters once that happens (ie to move around skill points, if someone ends up being The Driver, even though they didn't actually put points into that skill initially)?

You should probably have a role or two in mind that your character at least could fill. My intention putting together the positions in the tank was not to have certain characters locked into each one, rather that they could be flexible enough that most characters could take up that position in a pinch, or that everybody could pile out to deal with external threats while one stays and keeps the tank moving (or, of course, everyone leaves to go take care of something on foot). I will be selecting primarily based on good characters, and will be taking into consideration party balance both as far as tank roles and as far as traditional adventuring party roles (in which case, everyone likes a healer!). But I'm not going to be selecting based on "That's the gunner, that's the commander, that's the engineer..." etc. I'll still try not to end up with like 3 characters who are very clearly built 100% to be "The Gunner."

Yes, I am going to let the accepted players hash out the positions, how that is decided, what your tactics tend to be. And I'll give room for rebalancing characters before we begin; that is in part the intention of having your characters 85% percent done upon submission, there will be room for pushing some skill points and talents and feats around to make sure positions are covered and not overly accounted for. If I end up accepting 6 players, there will always be at least 1 PC not occupying a position. My hope is that operating the tank and interfacing with threats outside is dynamic and shifts around tactically, rather than something completely static.