Oasis: OOC Chat

Paxon

Yeah it feels a little more mysterious sometimes on Baldr. I usually check on the Overview tab first, which shows all new posts everywhere. That helps me track new posts coming up across this game forum. This OOC thread is a little less busy than Q&A though, so can be easier to miss

Yeah, I don't like this at all.
When I "Follow" a game or forum, I wish it would appear like it used to on the normal Myth-weaver's site. It would be nice if they implemented a "Classic" view, like how they did for Windows OS lol

From what I understand, and I could be wrong, it's because this game is set to a Public game, so there's no actual way to "join" the game (that I know of, at least).

But yah, I've brought up this exact issue in a thread and in Discord, so they're aware. 

40 minutes ago, Steel Warrior said:

Yeah, I don't like this at all.
When I "Follow" a game or forum, I wish it would appear like it used to on the normal Myth-weaver's site. It would be nice if they implemented a "Classic" view, like how they did for Windows OS lol

+1 times Infinity. 

Edited by Arklytte
Paxons game probably isn't the right place to get on my soapbox about BALDR. (see edit history)

1 hour ago, PigLickJF said:

From what I understand, and I could be wrong, it's because this game is set to a Public game, so there's no actual way to "join" the game (that I know of, at least).

But yah, I've brought up this exact issue in a thread and in Discord, so they're aware. 

Once we begin I'll set (or might need them to set it) to read only, or whatever option it is that has people join and otherwise closes.

For anyone interested, I put up a blank copy of a (very) basic character/application template.  Anyone who is having as much of an issue with this silly WYSIWYG editor as I am is more than welcome to swipe and use it.

Anyone who understands this blasted editor and can make nicer templates...please, feel free to share in the thread for the rest of us.  🤗

Edited by Arklytte (see edit history)

Yea, trying to redo formats in this system was probably the most annoying part of moving the BALDR. Not that I have actually done anything over here aside from what I have done in this game so far. But when you are used to copy/pasting a basic format that this system has no understanding of.., it took a bit to redo it in a manner that worked here.

3 hours ago, Arklytte said:

For anyone interested, I put up a blank copy of a (very) basic character/application template.  Anyone who is having as much of an issue with this silly WYSIWYG editor as I am is more than welcome to swipe and use it.

Anyone who understands this blasted editor and can make nicer templates...please, feel free to share in the thread for the rest of us.  🤗

Very nice, thanks for putting that up. I'm very much looking forward to DMing this game, and slightly dreading trying to learn a bunch of new (buggy/in-development still) formatting while I'm doing so. But hey, that's why I'm doing it on BALDR in the first place.

1 hour ago, Djacob91 said:

Yea, trying to redo formats in this system was probably the most annoying part of moving the BALDR. Not that I have actually done anything over here aside from what I have done in this game so far. But when you are used to copy/pasting a basic format that this system has no understanding of.., it took a bit to redo it in a manner that worked here.

Yep!

When I first started putzing around with it, I literally spent hours and hours trying to get even something basic together.  Something that would normally have taken me under a minute on OGMW, I literally could not do here.

I was...not happy, and may or may not have expressed it more than a little loudly (and not very politely) in a couple of places here.

Eventually, I managed to get some of the basics down, but it took far too long to manage.  I mean, FFS, I have multiple certifications in computer hardware, software, machine languages, etc, and I've worked in the IT industry for a couple decades.  I've been working with computers since they used frikken punch cards!  And yet, I couldn't even put together a simple form without getting incredibly frustrated.  I cant tell you how many times I literally threw my hands in the air, ranted out loud at my desk, and was forced to get up and walk away from my laptop, because I was in serious danger of committing violence...I was that irritated.

So, in hopes of sparing others that frustration, I thought, since I managed something incredibly basic, but that still looked halfway decent, I'd share.  🙂

tl;dr: WYSIWYG editors SUCK, and the fact that we are forced to use one, because Mobile Uber Alles, just pisses me right the heck off.

Edited by Arklytte (see edit history)

5 minutes ago, Paxon said:

Very nice, thanks for putting that up. I'm very much looking forward to DMing this game, and slightly dreading trying to learn a bunch of new (buggy/in-development still) formatting while I'm doing so. But hey, that's why I'm doing it on BALDR in the first place.

My pleasure.

I'm really looking forward to (hopefully) playing.  I'm also considering starting a game here, just for more practice.  I use a lot of forms and tables and whatnot on OGMW, and I'll need to figure out how to make them work here, since this irritating editor isn't going anywhere.  And neither am I, since, warts and all, I genuinely love MW. 🙂

Thanks for all that effort! Apparently not being able to nest X within Y is a known bug, so some fancier formatting alternatives should become possible at some points.

To get an img2 equivalent we appear to have to edit the HTML tags to add a Width attribute.

Quick update: I'll make the announcement later today on which players/characters I'm proceeding with for the game, as I make my final decisions and prepare next steps. There are just barely more finished apps than max spots I'd like to run with, so if you don't make it in, I hope you don't feel singled out. I've appreciated everyone's engagement and time spent putting a character together. I've also sent an admin message to get the game set to Read-Only instead of public, at which point I'll send invites to participants.

Welcome to all who are joining the game! I'm moving a few things around as I prepare. You also have a little homework as we prepare to start in earnest. Hopefully you've seen the announcement thread for details (I don't always know who looks at what, since this interface is fairly new to everyone).

In addition, I've added some helpful links to the overview page. Notably, I created a Discord server. I like to use Discord as the primary point for OOC communications, though we'll use both. Let me know if it's a problem or major barrier for you to use discord. The server is here: https://discord.gg/wRJtsmhp

I'll also use a combination of things for battle maps, but Roll20 will almost certainly be one at points where the engagement can be reduced down to a tight grid map, and there are enough moving pieces where that is necessary. When I can get away with it, I'll simply describe ranges and use theater-of-mind.