Oasis: OOC Chat

Paxon

2 hours ago, Steel Warrior said:

Hi,
Is there still room for more apps? I was a bit hesitant to move over to this site because the layout is so different.

I hear you on the hesitation - but also that’s why I’m trying it here. 
Yes there is room for more app, come on in and apply

10 hours ago, Paxon said:

I hear you on the hesitation - but also that’s why I’m trying it here. 
Yes there is room for more app, come on in and apply

Thanks! I am still trying to get used to it, I am used to seeing larger text also since I am on a 4k screen, so it's smaller than I like. Fortunately I can just zoom in. I will ask a question in the QA thread regarding a creation question, and thanks 🙂

I really need to start finding pics first, then developing my characters around them, because I always seems to come up with odd concepts then can't find a good picture, lol. I think at this point I've spent as much time browsing pictures as I have building my character. 😆

3 hours ago, PigLickJF said:

I really need to start finding pics first, then developing my characters around them, because I always seems to come up with odd concepts then can't find a good picture, lol. I think at this point I've spent as much time browsing pictures as I have building my character. 😆

Haha, I hear that. The perfect picture can really add a lot of characterization. When I am working the other way like you describe, matching a pic to a unique character concept, I often aim for more or a portrait/close-up picture, and let descriptions and imagination fill in the rest.

4 hours ago, PigLickJF said:

I feel this, so hard!!

Over the years, I've become a bit of a hoarder when it comes to cool character pics.  

I have a Pinterest so that I can flag anything  interesting I find there, and a deviantart as well.  I use imgur to host my character pics (and have TONS of stuff favorited there), and I have a huge folder full of stuff on my laptop.

Even with all that, I always seem to spend huge amounts of time looking for good character pics.

Edited by Arklytte (see edit history)

Quick note: I know there are several outstanding questions on the Q&A and on character threads. I'm usually a little slower to respond on weekends and this one is no exception. I'll get responses to everyone in the next couple days. Hope everyone is having a good weekend so far and keep those characters developing!

A lot of those I would worry about the weight distribution and how that would stress some of those joints. I mean, one of the reasons that simple treads work a lot better than legs is that they are much more stable and can carry the weight over a lot larger area, and so scale better with the square cube law. But some of the smaller ones could be really scary. I mean, if you take a mechanical head crab the size of a medium sized dog, with the leaping/head smashing tendencies, give it an smg, and tell it to hunt those intruders in that dark, possibly underground, probably dripping water somewhere in the background facility. That could be a fun mission/salvage operation for us to run. 

Hope those that had one enjoyed their long weekend! I'm back in action today and will slowly but surely working my way through replies to outstanding questions.

On 5/30/2022 at 5:55 AM, Steel Warrior said:

Found Crab Tanks 😉
https://imgur.com/gallery/kMhGOOp

Nice! In my searches for post-apocalyptic style tank art, I happened upon a crab tank or two myself. That is quite a trove of them though. Also it would definitely be a modification option (down the line) to add some sort of mechanical grasping appendage to the tank. Even a claw-like one, were the crew so inclined.