Character Creation Q&A

Paxon

You know how crossbows can be fired 1-handed at a penalty?  Can we get something similar for longarms?

There's a lot of neat rider effects out there for sunder builds, but a lot of them hinge on giving things the broken condition.  Unfortunately, it's looking like I'll be doing enough damage to take most objects from full to 0 in one hit.  Does destroying an object count as giving it the broken condition?  0 is less than half, after all.

If you want, you can always choose to stop at 1hp left on the item, thus ensuring the broken condition while still having the item around for later repairing after it no longer has an owner.

Yeah, but then A) you can't transfer the damage to the wielder with greater sunder, and B) You're still leaving them with weapon/armor they can use against you. 

And Pathfinder has much more generous item repair rules over 3.5, which reduces the "destroy your own loot" problem of sundering.

Hi, just found this game and hoping I can get an app done in time.

Paxon, have you given consideration to favored enemies (ranger)?  Obviously a bunch of categories just don't make sense; but how do the new beings fit into that system?

@plotdevice:  This may or may not help.  Its from the Custom Rules thread, second post, about 1/4 of the way down.

Monster Lore Skills and Categorization

With the changes in knowledge skills, use the following for identification of creature types.

• Wastes: Kaiju, monsters (magic beasts fall under this category), infected (undead)
  • Dungeoneering: Aberrations, oozes
  • Engineering: Constructs
  • Local: Humanoids
  • Nature: Animals (including mutated beasts), monstrous humanoids, plants, vermin

Edited by Arklytte (see edit history)

Thanks... I had missed that, but still leaves me unclear... in particular with regard to monstrous humanoids and magic beasts because I would have thought they didn't exist...

I was looking at the below and wondering what fit into which categories, or if they were just new categories all to themselves:

On 5/19/2022 at 3:51 PM, Paxon said:

Monsters

Creatures never before seen by human eyes emerged en masse during when the world broke. Some scientists at the time called the event the Collision, speculating that somehow several parallel universes collapsed into one another and our own. No serious study could be done on the phenomenon, given people were too busy dying. Either way, several new dangers face denizens of the wastes.

• Monsters is the catch-all term for new creatures who aren't like any animals, and are usually big and aggressive. They come in all shapes and sizes.

• Kaiju has stuck as a name for monsters of particularly massive size. They are big and powerful enough to demolish cities (given enough time), and nearly impossible to take down. If folks are smart, they get out of the way and hide when one is coming through. Their behaviors are mysterious, and many communities have their own speculations, but they don't automatically smash humans or their settlements on site.

• Dinos are monsters that actually resembled prehistoric dinosaurs, and are suddenly thriving again. It lends some credence to the theory that our world collapsed with a timeline in which many dinosaurs hadn't become extinct yet.

• Beasts is commonly used nomenclature for creatures a little more like you would have found before the Collision,  but also different. Maybe mutated, maybe evolved in some parallel way, these are creatures that are not always aggressive, but can still be quite dangerous.

Humanoid Dangers

• Infected: pretty much zombies. Some sort of viral infection that still persists and spreads like the plague through certain areas of the wastes, highly contagious and turning anyone infected into mindless rage machines that try to eat anything that moves.

• Primals: Also suddenly appearing when the world broke, these large, primitive-looking humanoids are cunning and dangerous. Their traditions vary, but they tend to be hostile towards humans and carve out their own hunting territories.

• Marauders and Scavengers: Smaller scale dangerous gangs that are on the lookout for vulnerable travelers or settlements, killing without compunction to steal whatever they can.

• Warbands: Larger clan-like groups who tend to conquer larger areas, or at least claim and threaten zones and pose a constant danger if not on the lookout. Violent, cruel, they have been known to completely destroy whole settlements if they don't otherwise get what they want. Warbands around the area the game starts include:

• Boneshavers: degenerate and vicious, this group carves up their own bodies as much as their victims. They collect the bones of those they kill, and are rumored to eat their flesh as well.

• The Iron Teeth: A more mechanized warband, they run raids in their cobbled-together vehicles which are often decorated with grinning, sharp metal mouths.

Edited by PlotDevice (see edit history)

Think "magical beasts" is just using PF terms for them so it's easier for us to understand what they are mechanically; they're not literally magical beasts, but they're animalistic, maybe smarter than your typical animal, have a host of abilities and mutations that let them do weird stuff, and retain interactions with various abilities that interact with magical beasts (like Elysian Bronze, though that's going to have to be reflavoured as something else to match with the theme). These creatures are probably referred to as just "Beasts" in your quoted section.

2 hours ago, Arklytte said:

Can we use Enhanced Armaments/Defenses to add Weapon/Armour/Shield qualities to our equipment?  Or are they limited to Enhancement bonuses to hit/damage only?

I had asked if I could use the Equipment special properties for my Enhanced Defenses Boon + Unarmed defenses + Zodiac Tattoos and it was approved.
So John is going to have anti-ballistic.
With the zodiac tattoos/Enhanced defenses I am treated as having +1 masterwork leather, so I only pay the cost difference from going from +1 to +2.  450gp.

Edited by Steel Warrior (see edit history)

I imagine it probably depends on what you are looking at for the qualities. Something like Distance, Keen, Impact, and probably even Bane should be all fine. Something like Called or Brilliant Energy would be a bit harder to fit in a non-magical world though.

5 hours ago, Djacob91 said:

I imagine it probably depends on what you are looking at for the qualities. Something like Distance, Keen, Impact, and probably even Bane should be all fine. Something like Called or Brilliant Energy would be a bit harder to fit in a non-magical world though.

I was assuming he meant the current equipment upgrades that were available in the character creation rules.

https://test.myth-weavers.com/index.php?/topic/746-additional-options-and-custom-rules/