TRELLUNND (OOC)

Vedast

Is there anyone in the party that is not fatigued due either to lack of sleep or heat/physical effort? Tik & Tannus are both fatigued due to lack of sleep from the night previous making weapons and were unable to rest sufficiently during the day to relieve this. Ochiro failed his heat fatigue roll. Based on Lassen's template, he is fatigued. I don't know about Horas or Oz or Frood (though surely he's fatigued from yelling and screaming).

Who has the knowledge to harvest the dogs and how long does that take? How much more time until dawn? Who would have the navigational skill to stay on track to find the lake and are those the same individuals with the harvesting knowledge so that they can't do both?

My point being that any characters that will travel separately and have to bear a weighty load of water on a return trip will almost certainly need sleep (8 hours) to remove the fatigued condition as there would be a good chance of them falling exhausted if they set out already fatigued (see below).

So my thought was that we need to rest up the character's chosen to travel to find the lake/water to alleviate the fatigued condition. They then travel by day to the lake (perhaps becoming fatigued again), but if they can refresh from finding water, before loading up to make the return trek by evening/night.

An exhausted character moves at half speed, cannot run or charge, and takes a –6 penalty to Strength and Dexterity. After 1 hour of complete rest, an exhausted character becomes fatigued. A fatigued character becomes exhausted by doing something else that would normally cause fatigue.

• I believe Oz and Horas are the only ones not fatigued right now. Though they will become fatigued if they don't sleep.
  • It's near midnight. The sky will be light in about 5 hours and it will be too hot to sleep in about 9 hours.
  • Harvesting food and material from the dogs requires a survival check as well as a craft check to make waterskins.
  • Navigating at night is also a survival check.

Lassen is sleeping, and will make checks appropriate for Craft/Survival when he awakens, should nothing untoward happen before then. He will stay with Grace and others (hoping to find shade) or strike out for water, depending on what other choose.

On 7/22/2023 at 1:25 AM, Eborne1 said:

Do I gather correctly that the consensus is to stay and rest up, cook, eat and craft waterskins, then split up or depart altogether at first light?

I agree. Jinx will try and craft waterskins.

I've added some posts in Discord to try to mitigate this situation. Please have a look. Any feedback is welcome, either there or here.

@Jammerwoch I've sent you an invite link, but it might have expired. Please let me know if you need a new one.

GM

1a. By a "Constitution Save," do you mean an 'attribute check' s.t. only the CON bonus applies, not one's class bonus to FORT saves?

1b. Does Tannus' Desert Child Trait apply: Benefits: You gain a + 4 trait bonus on saving throws made to resist the effects of being in hot conditions and a +1 trait bonus on saving throws against fire effects. The italicized text does not limit only to FORT saves. Flavor-wise, I suppose it comes down to whether being born and raised in a desert environment inures one to water deprevation.

2. I would like Tannus (and Horas) to attempt a, what, Survival or Perception check vs. a mirage. Both should be latently aware of such risks due to their class. You could make such checks on their behalf as 'hidden' (obviously, Hora's check can't really be hidden) so that our characters would not be aware of success or failure of their perception of the water's reality. Tannus' perception and survival bonuses are both +5 so it makes no difference mechanically as to which check category is tested.

Edited by Vedast (see edit history)

@Vedast 

• 1a. Correct d20+CON bonus
  • 1b. I don't think the bonus applies to dehydration, as that could happen anywhere and isn't necessarily a direct result of the heat.
  • 2. How can you be so sure "The Mirage" refers to the water? The rangers may realize the inherent possibility of a mirage existing in the desert, but that knowledge wouldn't necessarily allow them to see through a mirage more clearly than anyone else. No check... sorry.

24 minutes ago, Eborne1 said:

@Vedast 

• 2. How can you be so sure "The Mirage" refers to the water? The rangers may realize the inherent possibility of a mirage existing in the desert, but that knowledge wouldn't necessarily allow them to see through a mirage more clearly than anyone else. No check... sorry.

I'm not "sure," but mirages are commonly associated with the apparent presence of water. It seems perfectly prudent and legitimate to question its appearance and to utilize game mechanics provided to attempt to resolve such a question.

Edited by Vedast (see edit history)

I agree with you it is both prudent and legitimate to question the thing possibly being a mirage. (Otherwise, I wouldn't have tossed out the bone) However, for the sake of suspense and the scene's current narrative, I'm afraid I must insist that any perception/survival checks in regard to the water being a mirage (at this time) would only serve to convince Tannus that it very well could be, only at his current distance away from it, he just can't be sure.

--> The characters are lost and slowly dying of thirst in the middle of a hostile desert, without any memory or possessions. It just wouldn't be right if there weren't a sense of helplessness involved.

Due to the fact that the appearance of shimmering water has persisted in relatively the same place for the past 36 hours, the characters should be fairly certain that there's at least SOMETHING out there...

Edited by Eborne1 (see edit history)

@Luthiel Sounds right. Sorry for the lag folks. Pushing through some life goop. I'll have something out soon.

It looks like Tannus will continue for the water while the rest will seek shelter in the cave. Let me know if there are any discrepancies.