OOC Chat Chapter One - Mirabar

bwatford

@bwatford Can a Dire Wolf get up and down the ladder?

If not, what do you all think Drift should do? Mechanically, he should probably stay as a wolf to preserve the wild shape charge, but then he's just kind of sitting around upstairs if he does that. I'm fine with that. I just start to feel bad if I haven't posted in a while, but I'm still here.

It seems like we might have a dungeon crawl waiting down below. I'd hate to think that we'll be done below for the next 3 months of game play. But maybe the room is just one encounter you can sit out.

Does Billy ever adjudicate stuff not covered in the rules by creating patches? For example, the are no rules governing the interaction between jumping and falling damage. But I kinda makes sense that if you can jump 15 feet into the air and then land without damage, that you should be able to jump "down" fifteen feet without taking damage. So you might be able to lessen the 30-foot-drop damage by jumping down?

Just a thought.

For now I'd say wait to see if we manage to open a door. If we move beyond the range of the message cantrip, I'd say turn back into a kitty and come join us.

BTW, Copper plans to send Drift major updates via Message, e.g. "We're going through the southern most door on the east wall." Her role as communications officer would have been something they were taught or developed during their training.

1 minute ago, Gralhruk said:

I think we need to deal with the forge before we go dungeon crawling. I'm game to see what's behind the door but not further yet.

Sure, but how do we "deal with the forge?"

The plan is:

1. We use the forge to forge/repair the Trash King's item--which we've been told will take a lot of time.

2. We then use the Trash King's secret weapon to deactivate the forge.

BUT, we can't get with 10 feet of the forge or we burn. So...?

We see if there's a solution down in Ice World?

3 hours ago, BobtheWizard said:

Can a Dire Wolf get up and down the ladder?

A wolf can not climb a ladder, up or down.

3 hours ago, Wizard of the Coat said:

Does Billy ever adjudicate stuff not covered in the rules by creating patches?

I do when necessary, if you jumped 15 foot in the air, which is not possible, even with an 18 strength your high jump is 7 feet with a running start.
D&D 5e Jump Calculator (fexlabs.com)

But if you could jump ten feet up then you would still take 1d6 bludgeoning damage from the fall back down. That is RAW and RAI rules.

That said, lowering oneself down by hanging from an edge can reduced the drop by the height plus 2 feet of the individual. So a 6 foot individual could drop down 15 feet that way without damage as 8 feet would be its body and arm length.

In this situation the Dire Wolf has to squeeze even to fit in the trapdoor but he is a large size creature so could negate the fall damage to 1d6. The problem will be getting back up.

we can't get with 10 feet of the forge or we burn. So...?

Well, I hope the fire resistant Genasi can bend that rod quickly.

I'd hate to think that we'll be done below for the next 3 months of game play.

The two doors down below are arcane locked and heavily iced over, so doubtful the party can get even get in them.

12 hours ago, bwatford said:

Well, I hope the fire resistant Genasi can bend that rod quickly.

Oh, I didn't realize that was an option.

12 hours ago, bwatford said:

The two doors down below are arcane locked and heavily iced over, so doubtful the party can get even get in them.

So, should I take this as an answer to Copper's investigation check or should I wait for an update in the IC thread.

Hey, good job single-handedly doing the forge work! Sorry it ended up being just Hachi.

In theory, Andraste ought to be able to melt some of the ice on the door (1d10 Fire Bolt damage). With the help of Hachilah's Produce Flame it ought to go even quicker. Do ya'll want to go for that?

On 2/29/2024 at 9:16 AM, Gralhruk said:

We didn't shut the forge down, did we?

I don't think so. We never used the portal clicker, but we probably ought to get out of the ice box when we do.