OOC Chat Chapter One - Mirabar

bwatford

Congratulations to all six of you, get settled in, introduce yourselves and make sure your posting templates are ready to play. I will probably launch the game thread sometime tomorrow or Monday. Still need to customize some things to your characters before posting it.

Wow! I'm excited to be here, playing with all of you in a bwatford game!

Introductions: I'm likely the resident "old fart" of the group. I've been playing D&D since it reached the west coast in the 70s. The hobby (D&D and RPG in general) has been a meaningful part of my personal life. I played as a kid in middle/high school (still keep in contact with a couple of my D&D friends from when I was 15), through several degrees in college, and with my own kids once they were old enough to play (I currently play a D&D campaign via Zoom with my adult kids).

I enjoy writing as well as D&D, so Myth Weavers (Baldr) is a good fit for me. I joined Myth Weavers back in 2008, so I know most of you (we've applied to the same games or I've read some of your posts on the MW boards) and have played with about half of you before--which leads me to conclude this is gonna be a great group! I've mostly been a player on MW, but I've run a few games. I've mostly played D&D and various versions of Star Wars RPGs, though I've played several of other systems. More recently, I've been interested in rules-lite systems (like PbtA and Fate Core).

I'm in the GMT-4 (Eastern Daylight Time) zone. I can post weekdays (breaks at work and evenings) and--because we're now empty nesters--have more posting time available on weekends.

Edited by Wizard of the Coat (see edit history)

Reading through the PC roster, I've noticed they are almost all females (written/played by mostly males). Should be interesting.

@bwatford Are you OK with post-selection tweaks to our characters based on the party composition (e.g. changes to spell selection, skill proficiencies...)?

9 minutes ago, Wizard of the Coat said:

Reading through the PC roster, I've noticed they are almost all females (written/played by mostly males). Should be interesting.

@bwatford Are you OK with post-selection tweaks to our characters based on the party composition (e.g. changes to spell selection, skill proficiencies...)?

Don't make too many changes yet based on my character. I'm going to change him to a Druid to cover WIS skills. Since we were almost identical mechanically and I liked your app, I talked to Billy about changing my mechanics if we both got in. I'm just working on details and waiting on approval.

I'm excited to play with all of you. They were all great apps.

Edited by BobtheWizard (see edit history)

Oops, didn't introduce myself - how rude. I'm Leo, and I live in France. I started playing D&D with the red boxes in the eighties, and have since played games such as Call of Cthulhu, Star Wars, AD&D 1e, D&D 3.x, Pathfinder, and of course D&D 5e. I, too, enjoy writing as well as Role-Playing games - in fact, it is my favorite hobby, together with playing the piano. My children are still at home with us, so I suspect I have a little less time to post on weekends, but I will do my best. A pleasure to play with you all... and is it just me, or we don't have a cleric? 😉

7 minutes ago, BobtheWizard said:

Don't make too many changes yet based on my character. I'm going to change him to a Druid to cover WIS skills. Since we were almost identical mechanically and I liked your app, I talked to Billy about changing my mechanics if we both got in. I'm just working on details and waiting on approval.

I'm excited to play with all of you. They were all great apps.

Gotcha! Thanks for the heads up. I'm excited to see the Druid version of Drift.

2 minutes ago, Wizard of the Coat said:

You were ninja'd by Bob--who answered your question.

By the way, I usually just go by Wizard on Myth Weavers. Unless BottheWizard usually goes by Wizard?

Nope. Usually just Bob. Feel free to take Wizard.

I always abbreviate Wizard's handle to WotC 😉 - but anyway, you can call me Gral. Looking forward to gaming with you all!

I've played D&D since '81 or so (red box Basic), but didn't play much at all in the 90's. I found PbP as 3e was released and have been playing that way ever since. Weekends are not good for me posting wise - a lot of RL there - but weekdays are fine.

Drift has been changed to a Druid if everyone is ok with that.

I made a character that falls hopelessly in love with almost every woman he meets, and ended up in a party with only women, so at some point over the past year, he would have expressed his love for each of your characters. Whether it was reciprocated or not, he would have moved on in a few weeks. Feel free to have either rebuffed him, enjoyed the tryst, or be angry at him for betraying you and moving on. I suspect most of you would have just rebuffed him. In which case he would have flirted with you for a couple weeks and then moved on. But it's your choice.

Edited by BobtheWizard (see edit history)

2 hours ago, Wizard of the Coat said:

I am ok, with post-selection tweaks.

It will probably be tomorrow before I can finish up the starting game post, much of it is completed, just need to add in some knowledge checks and then some private stuff for certain characters.

I will be making heavy use of the private feature for characters in post so that it gives characters something to share with their companions in the next post, so things feel more organic.

To do so, a lot of knowledge checks, etc. will be made off camera and behind the scenes, so no need to roll any dice unless I specifically ask for them. I will make skill checks offscreen based on your post and actions in game and then use private tags to relay that information.

Rise and Fall of Vecna is an epic campaign, and as none of you have been to the Doomed Forgotten Realms before, there will be a lot of things to learn, as your characters remember things one way and reality is now another. So take notes. You might want to create a community note thread in the library that is public and you might want to keep private notes hidden in your character thread.

Because of the slow nature of pbp, I will cover sections / scenes with broad strokes to move us forward but will at least give your character a chance to interact in each area or sometime in the scene. There will also be huge set pieces where things slow down to a more turn by turn type of actions, so I am going to label each of my post with what type of scene we are in.

Social - Time goes quickly in these scenes so you can feel free to post any actions that can be accomplished over a course of around 10-15 minutes of in game time. In this mode of play, shields are not equipped, weapons are not drawn, and the atmosphere is much more relaxed. Feel free to play with the scenery and NPC's to help bring the scene to life.

Exploration - This means you are being more cautious, and your guard is up, shield is readied, and your weapon is at the ready but not yet drawn. Your post covers about 3-5 minutes of in game time.

Combat - While we may not be fighting anything in this mode, we are in round-by-round actions which is usually due to possible threat. Your shield is readied, your weapon drawn, your post should include action as they would in combat (move, action, bonus action, manipulate)