OOC Chat Chapter One - Mirabar

bwatford

Just now, Wizard of the Coat said:
Look at us: we're finding new bugs for the Devs to fix on Baldr! Hooray!

@bwatford I was just about to crash when you posted the game thread. It looks great! And I'm excited to post! But I need to crash. I'll check in and post when I wake up.

It should be fixed now.

Billy, I had a question: is having the Warcaster feat necessary for a paladin to cast spells in melee? Suppose Cassandra takes the Magic Initiate feat later on (say choosing the Sorcerer class for 2 cantrips and the Shield 1st level spell); will she need Warcaster in order to cast Shield during a fight?

Also, will she be able to cast Shield using her paladin spell slots?

Paladins and clerics can mark their shield with their god to use it as a material component, and while it's in your hand it can be manipulated like a somatic component.

The only thing is that a spell that has somatic components but not material component, cannot be cast with a full hand.

In the case of the shield spell, since it only had somatic components and no material components you need a free hand to cast it or have the war caster feat.

And paladin spell slots can only be used to cast spells that are on the paladin spell list unless you are multiclass and can cast spells from a different class.

@bwatford Still working on my post--which is turning out to be long. A few quick questions.

Once the group finds themselves out in the cold on the street of Mirabar...

1. What happens when Copper reaches out mentally to her familiar? Or could the familiar possibly be in its extradimensional pocket? I assume no familiar, but let me know if I'm wrong.

2. Do we have spell slots (for casting spells that do not require material components)? I assume not, but let me know if I'm wrong.