Year 2946: Don't leave the path

Vladim

[Post 166]

Author : Old Overholt

Date : Oct 22 '16 7:05pm

Hearing Indunn's call that Ellerina was safe, Nori shouted in response, "Couldn't agree more!" His physical attention, however, seems to be focused on the two Attercops in front of him as he tries to keep them at bay with the threat of his axe pointed forward, ready to strike should one of them decide to go for him. "Let's move!" he calls out to his cousin and brother-in-arms, trying to ensure Hepti does not succumb to his desires and cause the group to remain any longer than they have to.

[Post 167]

Author : CrimsonKnight16

Date : Oct 22 '16 10:31pm

Hepti wanted to stay and kill more spiders, but it was obvious that was suicide. He begrudgingly followed his cousin away from battle. "Just try teh follow me, ye damned spiders! I'll chop every last one of ye into tiny bits and have ye fer dinner!" Unfortunately, Hepti was going to have to wait for another day to slay his fill of spiders. He was thankful, at least, for his chance to kill a few of them while they rescued Ellerina. He taunted the spiders a bit more as they ran, not-so-secretly hoping one or two would actually be dumb enough to follow them.

[Post 168]

Author : Born on the Bayeux

Date : Oct 23 '16 3:45am

"He who flees spiders today slays them tomorrow, mighty Spider-slayer!"  True, it was not worthy of any bard but Bella hoped her words would spur their newest member into flight.  For herself, Bella was keeping up with the tallest of the tall in retreat for the most part.

[Post 169]

Author : Vladim

Date : Oct 24 '16 4:11am

The spiders made a few half-hearted attempts to attack as the fellowship retreated, but the axes of the dwarves and Gramtyngs blade quickly discouraged them from pursuing. Instead, they fell upon the dead ponies and mules, of which there were a few, and started fighting over their carcasses, while the remaining attercops quickly begun to hunt the retreating orcs.

Before long, the distant grunts and screams of the orcs, accompanied by the eerie noises of feasting spiders, were all the company could hear. Breathless, the companions regrouped with Baldor, Belgo, and the still-unconscious Arphel. The merchants boy, Belgo, had already gathered the surviving ponies and mules and was examining the supplies. When he saw Gramtyng, he nearly embraced him, as it was the Horse-lord that who had planned the ambush. I hope you slaughtered them all! the child remarked with grim fascination. The father, still dumbfounded, tried to moderate the sons enthusiasm, but Belgo gave him a long, cold stare.

Under the moonlight, the fellowship could see that Ellerina had not suffered any wounds and, other than the shock, she was well. The high elf thanked Bella for freeing her and extended her gratitude to the rest. Stories of Bilbos bravery had reached me, yet I had never expected to be the beneficiary of the courage of Hobbits. I thank you all; I am forever in your dept, and when the journey is over, I will find some way to repay you…

Her attention quickly turned to Arphel, and the elf tried to put all the healing skills of her folk to the task of reviving the ranger.

--------

Exhausted but victorious, the company found its way back to the elf-path, a task that took several hours. They arrived just before dawn and were in no state to march on, so they simply set up camp and rested. Travelling would have to wait for later; recovering from the ordeal was the priority.

The Bride joined Ellerina in trying to make Arphel comfortable. It is no wonder she is feverish, the elf remarked, for there is orc-poison coursing through her blood. She may yet recover, but we must find shelter soon. She will not live if we remain on the road.

@ everyone: Now that combat is over, everyone can regain a number of endurance points equal to their Heart rating by taking a short rest. You can role-play if you wish to, but for more extensive RPing, I would recommend the next scene (it is mainly an RP scene). Also, please give me a travel check (TN 14).

Edit: Oh, and I forgot before, but +2 XP to everyone.

@ Born: Bella is the only character who may attempt to repair the failing relationship between father and son. If successful, this will have significant impact in the current adventure. To do so, please post some relevant RP and the skill check you find appropriate (e.g. persuade, courtesy, that sort of thing).

@ Dio: It is clear to you that Belgo looks up to you and wants to be a warrior, after you planned the ambush. You may discourage, encourage or ignore this; your call.

[Post 170]

Date : Oct 25 '16 12:42am

In my debt?  It was simply enough for a little hobbit to be thanked by a child of the Valar.  Bella had now been given a story as heirloom for nieces and nephews and later grand-nieces and grand-nephews.  Bella was considered by those from the so-far-away Shire to be a confirmed spinster.  But Bella was not offended.  She feared it to be a accurate, if presumptuous, assessment.  She simply nodded in gratitude for the acknowledgement.

Thoughts of family and displaced maternal instinct spurred Bella on.  There was one child right now she could help reconcile with his kin.  They arrived in time to hear the grim edge in Belgo's bitterness.  Perhaps such bleak assessment was the necessary perspective of a seasoned warrior but it was like a spider's sting to hear it in one so young.  "We did what was necessary to survive, Belgo.  Extra blood shed, ours or theirs, doesn't serve anyone. Cling to your living kin rather than fretting over dead enemies."

Yes, if Tolkien says spider's sting, then they sting in Middle-Earth. :danceorc:

[Post 171]

Author : Diofant

Date : Oct 26 '16 12:20am

Gramtyng had managed, with some effort, to hack away the spider threads binding Leasere and with a brief movement of his legs, nudged his faithful mount onward, clearing the path for the rest of the companions. The feeling of wind in hair had been indescribable: It seemed like years since he'd galloped like this, and soon, they would return to the stifling cover of the blackened treetops of Mirkwood, and he would have to dismount. The horse, sensing its rider's mirth, neighed and gave an enthusiastic kick to a nearby orc. Slowly, ever slowly, the battle-madness left Gramtyng, and as the dark canopy closed over his head, he was once more calm. Dismounting, he walked alongside the others to where they left Belgo and Baldor; young Belgo's words caught him off-guard: he did not think he had given the boy that kind of impression. The child's eyes seemed alight with the same kind of fire that was within the eyes of children of the Mark when they heard stories of battles... he supposed children must have been the same no matter where you went, dreaming of adventures. But reality was much less glorious and sobering, he knew, recalling his arguments with his father and his own attempts to stop the progression of the national curse.

"Belgo, I'm..." He coughed into his fist, unsure how to put this: He seldom spoke to children. The most he did was in Mountain Hall, when a small pack of curious kids, uncaring that he was a stranger, bombarded the weary man with questions of distant lands. They made for grateful listeners, at least... But the responsibility for their growth frightened the bard, and her mother's talks of his marriage seemed quite concerning, as he enjoyed his freedom quite thoroughly, in the past. "...Not the best role model here, but let me explain something. Battle is different for every warrior, but losing yourself to anything, taking it to an extreme, always ends poorly. Moderation and all that... Well, I'm pretty bad at this. Still - the thing is this. I was angry; very angry, at orcs that stole Ellerina, Leasere, and who did that to Arphel. But even with my recklessness - we came for our companions, not to feed Mirkwood our enemies' blood. As soon as we got them out - we were out of there." He feverishly recalled his previous arguments with Fastred about similar things, and the examples he'd given. Not much came to mind. "Even from a tactical view: We could have continued fighting to truly punish the evildoers for their acts, but then we would risk our saved companions' lives - and if they died, what was the point of this skirmish to begin with? That's why, even if you do get angry, especially in battle - you must temper it with reason, and never lose sight of your final goal. Not only in battle, even. Obsession is not a pretty lady, lad."

[Post 172]

Date : Oct 26 '16 3:29am

Belgo listened carefully to Bella first, then Gramtyng, as the two companions tried to make similar points... He seemed to understand what the two of them were saying, indicating a level of maturity not always found in children his age.

'Still...' he said to Bella and Gramtyng, '...Without your bravery, Ellerina and Arphel would be lost. I know that I am only a boy now, but I will not be a boy forever...

One day I will be a warrior, and I will be brave enough to stand up against orcs and other monsters... even dragons! King Bard showed it is possible.' He turned to Gramtyng: 'Will you teach me how to fight, and ride, and be a good swardsman, like the Horse-lords of your country?'

--------------

The company wakes up at dawn on the next day, and begins to journey forth along the Elf-path for the next leg of their journey. The fellowship spends several days on the road, with excellent weather, but unable to find a refuge nearby… Yet the makeshift shelter Ellerina prepares each night seems sufficient, because Arphels condition does not worsen. The rangers body seems to be fighting the poison and, slowly but surely, winning.

When not tending to Arphel, Ellerina is distant, as if lost in her thoughts.

Baldor also appears to slowly recover, although he is still strange and occasionally distant, and does not always seem to recognize his own boy. But after two days on the road, he starts inventorying his goods, carefully cataloguing what he still has, and what he is missing. The task serves the role of quiet meditation for the old man, and he is satisfied with the results, thanking Nori profusely for recovering his goods with every opportunity he gets.

--------------

On the fifth day, the good weather that the fellowship had been enjoying takes a dramatic turn to the worse. Storm clouds descend on Mirkwood, turning the forest as dark as midnight. High winds tear through the tree-tops, sending hails of leaves and twigs down on the company. Larger branches creak ominously, and rotten boughs crack and tumble. The clouds open as though some great hand picked up the whole of the Long Lake and dumped it on the forest. Thunder and lightning crash overhead, incredibly loud and perilously close, and water starts trickling along the trees more and more copiously until dozens of little streams and rills start winding their way through the forest floor. The torrential rain soaks everyone to the bone and makes further travel impossible.

Scouting ahead of the party, Bella spots an unusual sight at some distance from the Elf-Path. There is a huge dead hollow tree up ahead, and a thin plume of woodsmoke rises from the top. Clearly, the hollow tree is someones home, but whether it is the refuge of a hunter or the den of some foul beast, the companions cannot know. Still, when Bella mentions the tree, Ellerina urges the company to investigate-she is certain that Arphel will not make it if they remain outside in the unforgiving storm.

The Bride and Bella see their Fatigue score rise by 2 points. Hepti gains an advancement point in movement.

In addition, all companions should make a Corruption test at TN 14 (1d12 plus a number of d6s equal to Wisdom). Failure does NOT increase the number of Shadow points, but makes the companion temporarily Miserable (unable to spend Hope to add Attribute bonuses). The Misery is a concequence of accumulated fatigue and the bad weather.

The company can choose to avoid exploring the Hollow tree. In such a case, everyone sees their Fatigue increased by 3 points, and there is a good chance that Arphel dies.

[Post 173]

Author : Old Overholt

Date : Oct 26 '16 5:38pm

Acting as the guide, Nori sets an even pace for those following behind him, trying to make it easy for child, wounded, and vigorous a like to make their way along the Elf-path. And while he doesn't move with haste, he does keep a moderately strenuous march, knowing that time is not necessarily on Arphel's side even if she appears to be fighting the poison well.

When the group makes camp, he often finds himself in the company of Baldor - assisting the recovering fellow by taking stock of what goods he has and assisting in making minor repairs as he can. It's most idle chit-chat, Nori "talking shop" about the wares Baldor has brought with him and what he intends to do with them or sell them for. If anything, Nori is just trying to provide a reassuring figure for Baldor given the strife with his son and the embarrassment of his rescue from the Attercops.

----------

When the rain begins to pour on the fifth day, Nori trudges along at the same pace, but his griping and complaining seem to go tit-for-tat with it. He curses being drenched and the foliage that occasionally smacks him in the face or gets caught in his beard, often wiping his face clear of whatever nature has thrown at him and flinging it down to the ground with a snap of his arm. Eventually, the downtrodden dwarf seems to have reached at crossroads with his tolerance for the weather and continuing on. "Confounded clouds!" he cries out to the heavens above, raising a fist to shake at them in furious anger.

Turning about to face the traveling party after receiving news from Bella about the hollow tree, Nori says to his friends, "I can't take trudging through this blasted precipitation one minute longer. And I doubt it's doing anyone else any good. I say we go knock on this tree and see what comes out... it might just invite us in out of this horrid weather." His squinted eyes, trying to block out the rain, look to the rest of those gathered, as if taking a vote or looking for objections.

[Post 174]

Date : Oct 28 '16 5:07am

Bella was gratified to see that her words and, especially Gram's, had a positive effect on Belgo.  And the boys own words were that of a maturing young man.  "Bard indeed." She mummured to Gramtyng, complementing the warrior's wise choice of words.

Ellrina and Baldor seemed quiet rather than conflicted and Bella supressed her urge to comfort and meddle.  And things went well until the storm.  When the smoke from the hollowed tree was visible, it wasn't even a choice to Bella.

"Please, Fellows, we must inquire about shelter there.  Arphel cannot endure much more of this storm."

[Post 175]

Date : Oct 28 '16 7:03am

'Let us move then!' says Idunn, whose strength and endurance strained under the heavy rain. The journey had left her exhausted and eager to return to Mountain Hall, for she was unaccustomed to travelling such great distances. 'If anyone wants to stay in the rain, let them do so!' She had tried hard not to let the hardships affect her tone towards her companions, but the torrential rain had brought her close to her breaking point.

The companions willing to approach the tree quickly see that there is no actual door for entering it. But searching around the base of the tree reveals a short, small tunnel that runs between the roots and into the hollow interior. From outside, the companions can only see a small fire illuminating the interior, but not much else. The interior looks dry, warm and inviting, and there does not seem to be anyone or anything moving inside-at least not as far as the companions can see from the outside.

[Post 176]

Author : Diofant

Date : Oct 28 '16 6:23pm

This was again, a bit sudden. Having attempted to suppress the pleasures of combat as much as he could all his life - and in so doing, the national curse as well - and fought with his father against adhering to the culture that glorified death and (in his view) meaningless sacrifice... It was odd to say the least to hear a child ask so seriously to be trained in things he'd rejected so long. Certainly, children were easily excitable and often longed for the glories of the Kingsguard or the Shieldmaidens - some, of the laurels of the master huntsman, following in Folca King's footsteps... Not many desired the path of a minstrel and record keeper. Then again, his people had been one ever forged by war, so it was unsurprising. Regardless of his beliefs, he could not belittle Belgo, and perhaps it would be best if the lad did learn it from him, and not from a son or daughter of the Mark who had progressed further into the Fey Mood's curse. He did not trust Baldor's good judgement; but the man was the boy's father, and regardless what he thought of him, he did not want to further the split between parent and child, and have them end up in similar circumstances as he and his own father did.

"In the Mark, Belgo, we have a tradition." Gramtyng began slowly, considering how to best put this. "Fathers give their sons, when they are still young, to one of the Eored - thats what we call our cavalry. These young men are called esquires - they get their own horse, and assist in knightly matters. The esquire makes certain the Rider's weapons are sharp, armour mended, that they wear their best clothes, drink from their best goblet and so on - they learn etiquette that way. The Rider, on the other hand, teaches the esquire all that you mentioned, and makes certain of his ward's safety." Of course, if given all this right now, the boy would likely agree... Esquires in Rohan began their apprenticeships at about 14 or 15 - but given how mature Belgo had shown himself to be so far, perhaps 12 was a better age for this. That way the parent and child would have 2 years to reconcile and reforge their trust - perhaps by then, Belgo would want to follow in his father's footsteps, even, instead of that of a exiled Horselord.

"If you want to take this path, and will not change your mind, then in two years time, you can join me as my esquire." He wanted to say 'if your father allows you' but decided against that - the last thing the boy needed right now was more mention of how his father who couldnt even remember him, had the power to deny his dream. Despite what he may have thought of Baldor for acting like a fool and endangering their companions, ripping him away from his son without so much as a word would have been simply inhumane. Hearing what Bella said, the minstrel nodded his thanks to her words; in his view, his words had been clumsy and poorly placed - he was used to singing to three audiences: The lords of the Golden Hall as they feasted in silence, rowdy tavern patrons in varying degrees of drunkenness, and attractive women he attempted to win favor of. Inspirational speeches? Sure. But educational inspirational speeches for children? Not so much. Still... Perhaps it was good enough. Bella seemed to think so, perhaps he wasnt as bad as he thought!

--------------------After the rain begins and the tree is found--------------------

"The animals cant take much more of this either!" Yelled back Gramtyng, trying to reply to Nori over the sound of the rain. "Doubt they can fit in the tree but maybe some thicker canopy..." For himself, he agreed with the others - a nice rain every now and then was good but this downpour wasnt helping anyone, except maybe Hepti, who got covered in spiderguts not too long ago. He could have used a bath himself... But this was just a little ridiculous. Gramtyng crawled inside as quickly as he could after tying Leasere to a tree, tossing a measure of cloth over him to shield him from the rain, and making sure the ponies were secure. He unsheathed his sword, but remained wary, holding his shield at the ready.

[Post 177]

Date : Oct 31 '16 1:43am

Belgo lowered his head in response to the Horse-lord's words. 'You could still teach me how to fight. he finally said, the dissapointment clear in his voice. 'There may be more foul creatures in the forest. At least show me how to defend myself!'

A few yards away, Baldor, engaged in conversation with Nori, took notice of Gramtyng and Belgo. The few sentences he overheard made Belgo's desires clear to him. He gave both Gramtyng and Belgo a dissaproving look, but Belgo was immune to it, and kept pressing the Rohirrim.

-----------

Baldor breathes a sigh of relief; Belgo, too, seems thankful for the unexpected chance of shelter. Carefully, Ellerina lifts Arphel from the mule she had been placed on and enters the hollow tree. Of the remaining companions, those wishing to enter follow her inside.

Inside, the entrance tunnel opens into a single round room. The walls are the dead wood of the tree, and the roof is a mix of bark and thatch that keeps most of the wind and rain out. There is a ring of stones in the middle of the room, and a small cooking-fire burns there, radiating pleasant heat around it. Above it, some curious hunks of meat are cooking on a spit. Other unidentifiable bits of meat hang from the ceiling on long black strings. There is a single bed of leaves and furs near the fire. Jars of water and baskets of fruit sit in a cool muddy hollow at the back of the room.

This is the handiwork of a Woodman. the Bride says soon after entering. I would recognize it anywhere. Whoever lives here cannot be far. Perhaps this is the shelter of a lone hunter, and he can let us stay the night.

Exhausted, she removes her rain-soaked cloak, which has been made heavy with water, and places it to dry by the fire. Ellerina decides to place Arphel on the bed of leaves and furs, as the poisoned ranger is drenched in water, and shivering with cold or fever.

I made a mistake with the Misearable condition (thanks to Dio for pointing it out). Miserable PCs normally cannot spend Hope AND those that roll a Sauron (11) on the Feat die suffer a bout of Madness and gain 1 point of permanent shadow (plus a negative trait associated with their Calling).

But because I messed up, lets assume for now that the second part (bout of madness possibility) does not apply in this condition. So there is no danger of gaining permanent Shadow here.

For now, you can interact with some of the PCs/NPCs, or Search around for more clues as to the hunters identity (Search TN 14), or use Persuade (TN 14) to tell Ellerina to not put Arphel on the hunters bed (bad manners), or use Awareness to keep an ear and an eye open for anyone approaching (TN 14), or use Hunting (TN 14) to identify the meat. Or any other creative way to use your skills.  

[Post 178]

Author : CrimsonKnight16

Date : Nov 1 '16 3:47am

Hepti was in foul spirits. They hadn't seen a single spider since he had joined the fellowship. Day after day he spent travelling across the land, and still not a single tiny arachnid had crawled out from behind a rock for him to crush. Still, he had the company of friends, and he could share stories of his spider-slaying around the camp fire each night. That would have to suffice for now.

The problem at hand, was who lived in this house. It wasn't a spider, for sure. Not enough webs covering everything. With that possibility out of the way, Hepti inspected the house more closely in an attempt to determine what kind of not-spider would take up residence in an old tree.

1d12 3d6tLM EDIT: Pass. +1 advancement point on perception group. Information onwhat is discovered sent via PM.

[Post 179]

Date : Nov 2 '16 9:53am

Time passes as the companions tend to different tasks. Hepti examines the interior of the hollow tree while his cousin Nori ponders about who might reside here. Ellerina removes Arphel's rain-soaked cloak and boots, while Gramtyng inspects the meats and the Bride and Bella stand vigilant by the entrance. However, it is the stout Hobbit that first hears the hunter return...

@ Born: As only Bella hears the hunter, she can warn the companions. If the companions are not warned, they will be caught unawares.

@ Everyone: If Bella warns the fellowship, you can choose to either ready your weapons or keep them lowered. Readying your weapons will give you an advantage if there is combat, but will likely offend the hunter if you choose to talk to him (increasing the TNs of social encounters). This increase in the TN will be applied if two or more companions ready their weapons.

An exception will be made if Intimidation (Awe) is used to 'convince' the hunter, as weapons in open display might help with this kind of 'persuading'.

If anyone draws a weapon, the Bride will object, as she thinks she can reason with a Woodman. I might role-play it if there is lag time between player posts.

Remember, all of this only applies if Bella warns you-if she doesn't, then you don't hear the hunter approach, and I will therefore move to the next scene. This will happen in a couple of real-world days.

[Post 180]

Date : Nov 3 '16 5:30am

As soon as she detected the hunter's presence, Bella informed the others through very discreet hand gestures and, if necessary, whispers...

Bella is trying to let her Fellowship know about the hunter in the most subtle way possible.  I have left this post rather short as both Bella and Vladim know how to do this better than me...