Jump to content

Year 2946: Don't leave the path


Vladim

Recommended Posts

            * * *     Myth-Weavers Thread  * * *

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Thread : Year 2946: Don't leave the path
Started at Jun 29 '16 12:22am by Dramacydal
Visit at https://www.myth-weavers.com/showthread.php?t=363457
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 1]
Author : Dramacydal
Date : Jun 29 '16 12:22am
Thread Title : Year 2946: Don't leave the path

http://i1032.photobucket.com/albums/a403/ScotThomas8/fae60ef7-6f81-4b8a-b965-467115fe01c6_zpsbkyhxp96.jpg[/IMG]"]It is the year 2946 of the Third Age, and the lands east of the Misty Mountains are astir. From the cloud-shrouded peaks above the High Pass to the spider-infested gloom of the forest of Mirkwood, paths long-deserted are trodden once again.Busy merchants carry their wares to new markets, messengers bring tidings from foreign realms, and kings send forth armed men to extend their influence and the rule of law. 

Some say that a new age of freedom has begun, a time for adventure and great deeds to reclaim glories lost in long centuries of oppression and decline.But adventures are not really things that people go out and look for. They are dangerous and rarely end well. While it is true that a handful of valiant individuals set out to make their mark on the world, for others it seems that adventure chooses them as though it is the path they are fated to tread. 

They are restless warriors, curious scholars and wanderers,always eager to seek what was lost or explore what was forgotten. Ordinary people call them adventurers, and when they return successful, they call them heroes. But if they fail, no one will even remember their names.

Making your way back to Dale, specifically the Knights Stave, people and patrons alike greet you to warm camaraderie and fellowship. Instantly making new friends, your fellowship is celebrated this night as within the morning the Great Hunt will start. A man with a stained white shirt, apparently the cook takes the large game bird from Baderac and smiles.

 His missing teeth and whiskers give sign that he is sloth and apparently to busy or cares little about his appearance. Your table is center to the room with a simple cotton linen draped over the elongated and warped wooden table. Sitting upon the used and rickety wooden chairs, Serving maids bring tankards of ale and fresh wooden cutlery of plates filled with enriched peasant breads and sides of fruit and grapes. In an instance song can be heard from all around celebrating the Autumn Festival.

 After sometime drinking on your alcoholic beverage, people are front row busy trying to order tankards for themselves. There was the lone barkeep that was taken direct orders from the demanding patrons. The Knights Stave was busy around this time of year and always brought in a great crowd during the Festival. The pictures of age old artists depict the Dale and some famous people of the land. 

Finally the serving maids brought out the large bird roasted to a golden brown and stuffed with apples, pine nuts and sweat bread stuffing. The turkey looked absolutely divine and to top it off more ale flowed this night, sometimes spilling onto the floor. The smell of the feast as others ordered some compliments of food themselves as the stale pipe smoke and smell of stale ale filled the air. The sign of excitement was in the air.

As the night drew on, the festive entertainment was met with casual talk to one another and the union of shared experiences. The customary tradition of 'breaking bread' was something simply to be freely enjoyed in the time of prosperity. But soon as the night waned on, people were leaving and returning home, with the Tavern closing in a few moments, you turn to people that you shared worldly talk with and are again customarily appreciated because of your Fellowship winning some of the events at Farmer Meads.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 2]
Author : Maester1216
Date : Jun 29 '16 11:10pm

Arphel's steely blue eyes gave off an intense, grim air to anyone who met their gaze. She sat in one of the corner booths that the Knight's Stave Inn had she propped her left foot up against the table whilst staring out onto the starry night. The festivities might have been a pleasant means to unwind after her long travels through the High Pass, but the grimness and stern that so permeated the sons and daughters of Arnor hung like a cloak around her person. 

A slight draft ruffled her auburn hair and, almost instinctively, she flexed and readjusted the shoulder section of her hauberk while her mind wandered to other matters. Dale was... not to her liking. Fat merchants and aristocrats dotted on themselves while the working men and women struggled amidst the city's own troubles; she despised it. Their Kingdom had, not so long ago, been a set of ruins under the Tyranny of Dragons, but instead of relishing and rebuilding their lost heritage they turned to earthly pursuits and pleasures rather than the difficult task of reforming Dale into the Kingdom it once was.

"I will never allow that to happen to my lands. When my appointed King takes the throne from those Southern weaklings Isildur's rightful heir will take the necessary steps to see Arnor rise to its aged greatness. Of that I do not doubt." She clenched her gloved fist in frustration, but seeing her comrades had her breath a calming sigh, seeping from her stout as she turned her sights once more to the star.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 3]
Author : Old Overholt
Date : Jun 30 '16 12:49pm

Nori has perches himself at the corner of the long table, his legs dangling over a stool short enough for him to climb up on, but too tall for him to place his feet firmly on the ground. For what seems like a significant portion of the night, he's been running a little shop inside the in, a small swatch of cloth serving as his store front where he's laid out a variety of bracelets, rings, and other bangles he's fashioned. Some slightly inebriated patron has been hooked by the dwarf into a sales pitch, Nori trying to sell him on one of his wares. 

"Now this ring here," Nori tells him, stretching out a sausage finger to tap on the silver circlet with an intricate wrap of ivy about it and an emerald set as the center stone. "Your lady friend will adore! I took this off a Hill-man who had me pressed up against the tree, his spear INCHES from running through my n- WAIT!" Apparently, the stories have been getting old as the patron waves off the dwarf, ready to get some sleep rather than drop coin on some trinket. "BAH!" the dwarf exclaims in mild frustration, flustered with the lack of a sale. 

As he folds up the cloth, binding his wares within the pouch with a thin leather strap, he must hear the last bits of Arphel's statement as Nori quickly asks , "Aragorn? He's just a boy, isn't he? What's a boy know about greatness?" The dwarf doesn't seem annoyed by Arphel's musings, more amused by being a thorn in the conversation as the slightest of grins starts appear across his face, the right corner of his lips - almost hidden behind his bushy red-brown beard - rise upward on his cheek.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 4]
Author : Neopopulas
Date : Jun 30 '16 1:58pm

http://i749.photobucket.com/albums/xx133/DMNeopopulas/Drawn/19aa956d-0f54-422c-8026-79529f4d4fa1_zpsyvinpius.jpg[/IMG]"]

"Inches from your what?" it comes with an amused sound from Elerrina. Elerrina was about as elfy as an elf can get, tall and slender frame belying hidden strength, she carries herself with an unmatched grace and poise that its hard to ignore and impossible to deny. She had been listening with some amusement as the dwarf attempted to pawn his wares off on the, well, unwary. She had decided not to interfere, it was far too entertaining, at least at the time. 

She eases herself down with a clinking creak into a chair nearby "Blood knows greatness as much as deeds knows valour.. But we will see soon enough" the lifespan of a man, even one of ancient blood, was not so long for an elf to wait "if the blood of Isildur is enough."

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 5]
Author : Diofant
Date : Jun 30 '16 5:00pm

Gramtyng grinned, brushing his fingers across the strings of his lute, the instrument emitting a melodious note, causing several patrons, about to leave, to turn hopefully. A minstrel was not meant to sit in a corner and brood after all, he was to be the center of attention, and behold his captive audience with as much grace as any king. That is what Aldor taught him, but what did an old man know of outside the Mark? Him and his solemn ballads, singing of dead men long buried and their deaths; it was more like he was a genealogy tree record than anything as exciting as Aldor promised it would be... His smiled waned a bit, thinking about how the blind old man would react at his being sent to this place, in search of the history of a people he didn't feel a part of, and whom never failed to remind him where he was born. 

That part was refreshing, the minstrel decided, sipping his ale. Just a tad. Fengel King's mood swings, the grimaces, the insults from the more vocal ones about the 'ill-fortune bringer in the Golden Hall' and 'spawn of Dwimorberg', the dirty looks... really though, Gramtyng thought, arming himself with a fork and knife and attacking the roast venison and mushrooms with twice as much vigor as his sword instructors saw in the practice yard from him - really, those looks wouldn't be bad if they came from pretty girls, but as it stood, those were a different kind. Wasn't like all the folks in Edoras were like that, most didn't give half a rat's arse about Fastred's failure of a son. Complainin' about it wasn't gonna help any, and everyone hated a whiner, so what was the point of dwelling on it, mused Gramtyng, sinking his teeth into the succulent venison. 

Besides... Not much to complain about, not really. He was never hungry, neither growing up nor here, he'd had enough coin to spend on pleasant nothings, even if there were not many of those, and more would have been welcome... No more people breathing down his neck trying to instill into him the Rohirrim 'spirit'. He liked horses, he liked songs, and he enjoyed mead and ale. Surely, that was enough to be Rohirrim? Leading the charge of the Eorlingas was not his place, and was absolutely not for everyone. Hunting... That wasn't a bad choice, but he preferred hunting of a different kind. The minstrel put down his fork and knife and wiped his mouth, washing his food down with some ale. This city was pleasant enough, too. Too many people to care who the other was, and a much larger audience range - perfect for his purposes. 

As he finished his food, his ears picked up pieces of conversations from his new friends, and he listened in interestingly, lighting a pipe - another thing he normally wouldn't have been doing in Edoras. What an excellent time-waster! Made for a good thing to do while thinking up rhymes to a song. Left your hands free, too, so you could test out notes on the lute. The dwarf had an interesting story going, though he only caught pieces of it. He grinned when the prospective customer decided it wasn't worth the time and left. It was a good thing he participated in those contests, after all; if he ever intended to return to the Golden Hall, he would actually have to take Fengel King's command seriously, and accumulate some lore on his ancestors. And to do that... he needed a fellowship of people who he could count on. Taking the pipe out of his mouth, he have a small wave, trying to get Nori's attention:

"Friend Nori, may I suggest you try to challenge the possible buyer instead of explaining why he should buy your ring? I am not a merchant, but I know at least some things about capturing someone's attention." He let out a small puff of smoke, enjoying the flavor of the herb, and clapped his hands together, gesturing to get his meaning across as he explained: "Your stories are interesting, but to engage them for your cause, maybe something they have to react to? Like a riddle? It might entertain them and catch them up."

http://i.imgur.com/PL6i5Hx.png

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 6]
Author : Who_Am_I
Date : Jun 30 '16 5:53pm

Carrying over a sturdy chair he had acquired from another table, with a smile and a thankful nod of his head doing much to discourage any angry response, Duilin places it carefully so that he could sit with his eyes directed towards the door of the Knight’s Stave. The wary traveller lets out a content sigh of relief as he slowly sinks into the chairs comfortable embrace, eyes flickering about the party he had come to know over several years to rest lastly on Arphel before darting to the door once more as it swings open. He still wears his hauberk of mail links beneath travelling clothes meant to ward against the chill of autumn and the coming winter, the cowl of his cloak perched on his head so as to cast his face mostly in shadow, but a careful movement of his hand brushes the cowl back and frees his shoulder length brown hair from its confines. Duilin retrieves a pipe from a pouch upon his person, stuffing it with a fragrant pipeweed before lighting it with the fire of a candle upon the table. The stem of the pipe slides between his lips as Duilin slides backwards into the chair, placing his right elbow upon the arm and resting his chin upon his hand as he inhales slowly before releasing a small circle of smoke from his mouth. 

”Inches from a location perhaps best not spoken of in polite company, Nori?” Duilin speaks softly as he allows his eyes to drift back over those sitting around the table, chin tilted down in a such a way that he studies the Dwarf beneath his eyebrows. ”A story, perhaps, for a night drawn close around a warm fire?” The young ranger offers, shifting his gaze to the door once more as someone walks through though they quickly settle amongst a table of friends. As a platter of the golden turkey appears before him on the table, Duilin smiles his thanks to the serving maid and retrieves a small, curved blade in the style of the Elves to spear a roasted potato with and pop it into his mouth. ”Perhaps instead we could speak of the road yet to be taken, the travels of tomorrow?”

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 7]
Author : Born on the Bayeux
Date : Jul 1 '16 5:29am

It was no small feat to keep the small feet of Belladonna Bracegirdle from wandering the streets and alleys of Dale.  Bella meandered for sheer joy.  Every day among the big folk showed how much larger Rhovanion and Eriador were than the humble Shire.  She felt a pang of homesickness for quiet Harbottle.  Bella missed it terribly and not for the first time.  But if I were home, I would probably be married off and only wishing of adventure.  Bella thought in consolation.

Exploring usually dispelled gloom and brought cheer.  But now there was a man-sized repast waiting for her at the Knight's Stave and she would not miss that for a dragon-horde.  Big folk were usually surprised at how much the unfamiliar halfling could consume in food, drink and, if fortunate, pipe-weed.  While Bella was always surprised that such giants could exist on at most three meals a day.  And even among hobbits, the Bracegirdles were known for a prodigious appetite, their surname often referred to the reinforced and 'braced' girdles the clan was known for.  Bella herself was spared the family's impressive 'stature' through the walking and exploring.

But tonight she was going to fix that.  If she didn't burst a stitch in her clothing, it was because the innkeeper would run out of provisions.  Entering the Knight's Stave, Bella carefully dodged and avoided the milling big folk like a shadow.  She would have told an onlooker that she was as skilled a burgular as Old Bilbo but in truth she was largely ignored like a inconsequential child.  How had the old codger hidden so well in his stories, she wondered but Bilbo had just winked and nodded.

Bella let out a muffled yelp as one of countless booted feet trod on her furred foot.  The same toes that had printed the snow-capped Misty Mountains without complaint along with blunting Mirkwood's splinters now stung in protest and Bella hopped to the seat kept reserved for her by her Fellowship.  A few hops (and a discreet helping hand from one of her companions) and Bella was seated high enough to see the table.  By waving her arms, she eventually got the attention of a serving wench and even more eventually convinced the girl to bring a man's feast to a halfling's table.

While she was waiting for the always-too-long-in-coming repast, she smiled at her companions.  Arphel had chosen the most quiet and shaded part of the noisy and firelit inn.  No mean feat and Arphel is even more quiet and shaded than that.  Dulin was the more expressive of the two Rangers and the promise of a tale was almost as a fine meal.  Almost.  But Bella did not have to choose tonight.

Nearby was Elerrina.  Bella always enjoyed observing the elf.  She would tell herself that she was trying to remember enough to tell her grandchildren one day.  The elves were leaving for other shores, not to return.  Soon they would only be memories.  In any case, Bella was becoming a 'confirmed spinster' and there might be no grandchildren to tell.

Ah, Nori was selling his wares.  If there was time before the story, Bella would once again be the 'ordinary customer' impressed by the craftsmanship of such dwarven creations.  She would be so happy to spend a few meager coins on such quality.  Later the trinket and coin might be swapped back so the show could begin at the next town over.

The victuals finally arrived.  Content and in good company, Bella began her first pint and plate...

OOC:
1.  Hi, everyone!  It is good to game with you.  Even if I am not selected, this little thread is a pleasure. 🙂
2. Let me know if I characterized any you wrong,  I will amend. :danceorc:

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 8]
Author : Neopopulas
Date : Jul 1 '16 6:15am

http://i749.photobucket.com/albums/xx133/DMNeopopulas/Drawn/19aa956d-0f54-422c-8026-79529f4d4fa1_zpsyvinpius.jpg[/IMG]"]

"Ahh, Belladonna. What meal are you on by now?" gentle chiding, said in jest and not uncommon either. She was, after all, well known for it "And does the table have room for it?"

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 9]
Author : Old Overholt
Date : Jul 1 '16 12:16pm

Turning back to his meal, the prospect of profitable trade vanishing rapidly as others make their exit from the inn, Nori shakes his head as he places the bag of jewelry just a little off to the right of his place - out of the way of his food and drink, but close enough to keep an eye on. Looking upon the turkey leg that's probably gone a little cold by now, the dwarf licks his lips as he leans forward, having to strain slightly to get over the table and grab ahold of the drumstick. His eyes flicker to Gramtyng as the Rohirrim gives his advice, the dwarf looking slightly annoyed by what's said and appearing as if he is about to say something, when Duilin and Elerrina comment on his choice of words in the story telling. 

Extending the turkey leg out to point at the Ranger and the Elf, Nori wags the delicacy at the two as he playfully chides them back. "You were there," he reminds them. "I don't need to say it. Had you waited any longer, Duilin, he would have given me a piercing to remember," Nori then adds, before taking a large bite out of the turkey leg. Shreds of meat and skin protrude from his lips and wild beard before slowly being pulled back into his mouth by his teeth. 

Chomping loudly - almost to the point of vulgar, but clearly a voracious eater with little regard for manners - his eyes catch the arrival of Belladona, offering the hobbit a quick wink of the eye as she hops up onto her chair. But his attention quickly carries back to the citizen of Rohan as Nori reaches out to take his own flaggon of ale. "A fool and his money are soon - and rightfully - parted," he advises. "I don't need to confuse the poor sap in the process. Besides, when was the last time someone told you a random riddle about their pendant or sword? No - they tell you where they got it or who it belonged to before. The story, the history is what matters." And with that, the dwarf seems to toast himself to the thought - his tone more of stubbornness than any real contempt for Gramtyng's suggestion.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 10]
Author : Vladim
Date : Jul 1 '16 1:48pm

http://i1050.photobucket.com/albums/s419/Svorinn/The _bride_zpsh8yahesv.png

The Bride felt as comfortable in the crowded tavern as a fish out of water. She was used to roaming the forests, but not the hustle and bustle of big cities. Seated at the corner, she was able to observe much of what was happening and hear the conversations around her. Luckily, the commotion and arguments all around meant that there was little need for her to say anything.

She passed some food to her great wolf-hound. Like her, he was also not used to such commotion, but the beast’s attention was now focused entirely on the meat, which it devoured almost as voraciously as the dwarf. Unlike her, he (the mastiff) was a simple creature, she thought, as she focused her attention on the conversation at hand.

Intrigued by the young man from Rohan, she finally gathered the courage to break her silence. Addressing him, she said: ’Would you like to share a tale, a tune or a riddle from your lands, horse-lord? The food and ale seem to hold more interest for our dwarven companion, but perhaps the remaining travelers are interested in the stories of your countrymen.’ 

Not sure if I can keep posting during the coming week. It will depend on Internet availability only-in principle, I should have lots of free time. Please just ignore me if I cannot keep the posts coming 🙂

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 11]
Author : Diofant
Date : Jul 1 '16 10:54pm

"Ever practical, I see." Smiled the young minstrel at the dwarf's indignant reply, and raised his mug. "I meant no offence. And of course, the riddle has to fit to the item, not be something random! Now, if you could weave the riddle about the item and its circumstances, then it would work. Believe me, Nori, if you sat through some of Meduseld's stories, you would have a different opinion on history mattering." Savoring another sip of the ale, he put the mug down, hearing the Woodsman's request, and grinned, wiping his fingers on a rag that was left behind on the table. He may have been somewhat careless about his beard, but treating his instrument poorly was akin to stomping on your food before you ate it. He picked it up with an almost reverent air, and gently brushed his fingers across the strings, observing the lute with a keen stare, suddenly focused, the usual smirk vanishing and replacing a look of concentration. 

"Well now. As I've said, the songs of the Golden Hall are seldom cheerful; they are a somber, traditional sort, sung amidst the dimly lit columns for the pleasure of old lords that wish to relive the days of glory. They are not the sort one would sing in company such as this for entertainment; I've always preferred the more cheerful tunes you would usually hear in a tavern." He stroked the chords of the lute thoughtfully, extracting the tune he desired and smiling, a bit absentmindedly, at his success. His own taste in songs was different from most of his kinsmen, but even so, there were good songs that he enjoyed, even with his somewhat unusual views. What would he sing to them? The Ballad of the Horse-Lord that fell from his horse, which got him here? Too simplistic and whiny. Who wanted to hear that again, much less sing it? It was part of the joke, but they did not know of the joke's origin. 

Ahh... but there was one, a song that he liked. Sad, but... It felt gratifying to sing it. Garmtyng cleared his throat a bit and looked up from his instrument: "I was going to suggest a riddle instead of a song, but I've remembered a good one. This is a song of Eorl the Young and his horse Felar, known also as the Lament of the Rohirrim." The minstrel cleared his throat one more time, and shut his eyes slowly, placing his hands upon his lute's strings properly, his breathing becoming more even, as if he had been preparing to go to sleep. It was an old practice that Aldor had taught, to pace himself in such a manner, in preparation for the song. His fingers then struck the chords, and he began to sing quietly, enough for his companions to hear, but not carry further. It had been very unlike his usual style, but this sort of song called for a different style of singing.

"Where now the horse and the rider? Where is the horn that was blowing?
Where is the helm and the hauberk, and the bright hair flowing?
Where is the hand on the harpstring, and the red fire glowing?
Where is the spring and the harvest and the tall corn growing?
They have passed like rain in the mountain, like a wind through the meadow;
The days have gone down in the west behind the hills into shadow.
Who shall gather the smoke from the dead wood burning
Or behold the flowing years from the Sea returning?"

Gramtyng had stretched the final line as best he could, as properly as he could: this sort of song couldn't simply be cut off as normal, it had to have its own finish, its own end; though there was more to it, he didn't wish to continue. Opening his eyes, the smile returned to the rohirrim's face, as he put aside the lute and reached for his pipe. "I hope I didn't disappoint you too badly, there. Part of the reason I'd come to this place was to compose my own songs; everything from drinking songs and battle songs to perhaps a ballad worthy of being passed on. Pretty difficult though! Well. If that doesnt tickle your fancy, I have a few riddles." His people have once dwelt here, Fengel King claimed. Surely there were some pieces of lore to bring back, if he even wanted to. Perhaps not for a while.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 12]
Author : Maester1216
Date : Jul 1 '16 11:38pm

"It was alright I suppose. The Rohirrim it would seem have a great appreciation for oral history." Arphel responded matter of factly. She nods to those she is closest to within the group, Bella and Duilin, before returning to a wistful glance at the starry night. "The stars.... sometimes I wonder what they would have been like so many years ago. To gaze up from the spires of Annuminas or the walls of Fornost and not only see the beauty of the skies... but the strength that their light fell upon." A melancholic tone enters her voice as she finishes; she fidgets in her seat before turning back from the others attentions.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 13]
Author : Neopopulas
Date : Jul 2 '16 2:22pm

http://i749.photobucket.com/albums/xx133/DMNeopopulas/Drawn/19aa956d-0f54-422c-8026-79529f4d4fa1_zpsyvinpius.jpg[/IMG]"]

"There are great sights to behold still" there is a faint sigh though "But such wonders have past, it is true..."

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 14]
Author : Born on the Bayeux
Date : Jul 3 '16 2:43am

Bella smiled through mouthfuls at Elerrina's good-natured jape.  "Well, certainly not the last plate, I hope.  And I am making room on the table one mouthful at a time."  She nodded back at Nori.  She could never tell whether dwarves were dour when they were happy or happy when they were dour.  It was a secret challenge to Bella to make Nori smile now and then.  But who could tell under than magnificent beard?

When she though the Bride wasn't looking, Bella tossed the mighty hound a gobbet of meat.  The beast snatched it out of the air easily.  Bella didn't think the Bride would mind but didn't want to take chances.  For a Bracegirdle to share something off of her plate was a tribute indeed.  What a riding-hound that would make for any hobbit.  But the Bride, let alone the hound, probably would not warm to the idea.

Gramtyng had many accolades for his songs and would have many more in the future.  But tonight at least, he had one unique tribute, his evocative verses had stilled the fork of a hungry hobbit.  A minor songstress herself, Bella was enjoying the novelty of being entertained rather than being the entertainer.

Arphel's wistful longing for vistas long gone had struck a chord with Bella.  Even if never still, my tiny feet will only walk a fraction of this world and only for the eleventy-something years granted to lucky hobbits.  But she would not add to Arphel's melacholy with her own.  "Listen to Elerrina, Arphel, there are sights still to see even for us emphemeral souls."

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 15]
Author : Vladim
Date : Jul 3 '16 3:17am

http://i1050.photobucket.com/albums/s419/Svorinn/The _bride_zpsh8yahesv.png

The Bride thanked Gramtyng politely as he concluded his song. The lyrics had reminded her of the Woodmen's past, and their waning in recent years, and of the darkness that had returned to the forest where they dwelt. As she returned to her previous silence, a sadness begun growing in her, making the festive atmosphere feel alien. She looked towards Arphel, noting that a similar mood had taken the elf.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 16]
Author : Old Overholt
Date : Jul 6 '16 1:29pm

A euphemism for Nori's attitude would be "set in his ways" - the dwarf adhering to his entrenched ideas of how to carry on business bubbling to the surface as he playfully waves off the Rohirim. He's not angry, he's not hostile - he's just a dwarf being given advice. And it appears to bounce off him like an arrow to a troll. Stacking the bone from his turkey leg on a few others that had been previously cleaned, he voraciously eats throughout The Lament of the Rohirrim, occupied with filling his stomach as opposed to his soul. But when Gramtyng has finished, he does get an appreciative bang of the dwarf's fist on the table three times. At least it was heard, right?

Nori's eyes flick to the quick gesture from the hound as it snatches the meat out of the air, figuring it must have gotten a treat, but doesn't see who might have tossed it. He snorts in amusement of sorts as the beast gobbles down it's delight before pinching up some of the stuffing between his fingers and shoving it in his mouth, leaving yellow-brown crumbs scattered throughout his beard. The dog has better table etiquette than this dwarf, but oh what flavors he'll save...

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 17]
Author : Diofant
Date : Jul 7 '16 12:33am

"Your wastin' your time, blondie. Giving advice to a dwarf, pah." A dusty-looking dwarf chuckled from behind a small cloud of smoke. Standing up, he walked over to his cousin, observing his enthusiastic annihilation of the plate of meat before him. His gaze followed the bone as it was snatched up by the hound, and he let out another quiet 'Ha!', a small cloud of smoke emerging from his mouth as he laughed. "I assure you, cousin, your neck was in no immediate danger from that malnourished troll. Poor thing wouldnt be able to put a hole through your beard even on its better days."

He took the pipe out of his mouth and pointed at Nori with the mouthpiece: "...'Specially not now, when you've taken to reinforcing it with every meal's leftovers: It's better than your hauberk!" Blain sat down on the bench beside his cousin heavily, and waved his hand at the Innkeep for more food - all that was required by now, really, as the man knew what this dwarf in particular made a diet of. Cant have been good for him, but he sent over another flank of roast boar, drowning in gravy, flanked on either side by a whole loaf of bread and on the other, with several boiled potatoes still in their skins. "AH! Dinner, excellent!"The dwarf managed to spear the meat with his form, raising it about the plate, as the gravy cascaded down as a waterfall. He had already bit into a potato, and was now about to dip a large chunk of the bread he was brought into the sauce, but then remembered something, and fished out from his pockets what looked like a small water-skin, uncorking it with his teeth for lack of free hand, and pouring it all over the potatoes and meat. It was a ghastly, purpleish liquid that gave off the distinct scent of onions, garlic, peppers, and something else that made even Blain's eyes water - whether it was the spice or the dwarf was moved to tears remained to be seen. 

As he prepared to bite into the pig, a woman came by, pausing for a moment, and looking towards the innkeeper for assurance. She was waved away, causing her to sigh and put down the plate of vegetables - a great selection of radishes, celery, carrots, and cucumbers - with a loud and very intentional 'clank', in front of the dwarf, moving his plate with meat away. The dwarf growled something, too occupied with the boar, and used the side of his arm to brush the plate with potatoes and meat back towards him, and the vegetables back. The woman pursed her lips and folded her arms, tapping her foot. "Wot?" Blain looked up, scowling, with mouth still half-full. "Yer pekt m' ta wot?" He swallowed and wiped his mouth, now more legible: "Just what am I to do with this?"

"What do ya think you do with it, the idea is - you eat it, dolt!" The old woman answered in a tired voice. "You cant eat meat, gravy, potatoes, and bread every day, three times a day!" The dwarf shifted back, chewing slower, as if he just saw some dangerous animal: "You want me to eat food my food eats? Never happenin'." The woman growled something, and retreated back towards the front of the inn, followed by the dwarf's incredulous stare. "Mad..." He whispered in awe. "Oi, did you get that?" He shoved Nori with his elbow, then looked, bewildered, around the room: "She wanted me to eat carrots!" His gaze wandered to the Hobbit, who was working her way through her own meal: "CARROTS, Bella!" His face grew sour as he grabbed the mug of ale, drinking in large gulps. "Oof... Bit too much of a kick this time..." Blain stared accusingly at the 'waterskin' that lay abandoned on the table.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 18]
Author : Neopopulas
Date : Jul 7 '16 3:24am

http://i749.photobucket.com/albums/xx133/DMNeopopulas/Drawn/19aa956d-0f54-422c-8026-79529f4d4fa1_zpsyvinpius.jpg[/IMG]"]

"Not to make a big deal about it, my friend, but you would be less round and winded if you ate more carrots and less.. well anything else" Though said it jest, it was probably true, or at least she believed it was. Not that elves weren't prone to a little excess, but they also seemed to have a lot more tolerance for it.

"But then, you wouldn't be you then.."

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 19]
Author : Born on the Bayeux
Date : Jul 8 '16 4:29am

Through full cheeks, Bella smiled at Blain.  She resembled a well-fed hamster, a comment often directed at hobbits who never seemed offended.  "Carrots!  Perish the thought, Blain.  Of course, if you don't want them..."  Bella liked Blain.  He was a rare dwarf who could appreciate a warm meal as well as cold stone.  At Elerrina's reply, Bella asked spontaneously, "Do elves get fat?"  For anyone else, the question would be rude.  But to the curious Bella, the question was as innocent as if asked by a curious child...

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 20]
Author : Old Overholt
Date : Jul 8 '16 1:37pm

Nori glances down at the crumbs in his beard when his cousin brings up the "reinforcement". Picking a piece of stuffing out of the hair on his chin, he examines the bit of food with mild amusement before murmuring aloud to Blain, "It's still not as impressive as Aunt Asabelle's" before popping the morsel into his mouth so that it can join the others in his stomach.

As his cousin pours whatever 'gravy' he's brought with him, Nori playfully sticks the hand nearest his cousin out and helps tip the flask up a little higher with an extended pointer to make sure Blain gets a healthy portion of the concoction. "That's it," he says with a partially full mouth. "Drown it all." Chuckling as he draws his hand back, he continues to gorge himself, but watches the exchange between Blain and the barmaid with interest. 

When he's ribbed, Nori lets out a belch as he's given a rough nudge in the side by his cousin. "Ooooh," he bellows out. "Didn't know that was hiding down there." Chuckling, he looks to his cousin and then to the plate of carrots before adding, "Father always said your family had a wild hair... didn't know he meant 'hare'."

His eyes then turn to Bella across the way as she chows down on the vegetables. "Aye..." he says in confirmation of her question. "In fact, most of them I find quite full of themselves," Nori adds, reaching for his flagon and then quietly toasting Elerrina with a knowing smile.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 21]
Author : Neopopulas
Date : Jul 8 '16 1:40pm

http://i749.photobucket.com/albums/xx133/DMNeopopulas/Drawn/19aa956d-0f54-422c-8026-79529f4d4fa1_zpsyvinpius.jpg[/IMG]"]

"A fat elf? Not that i have ever met" she laughs just thinking about it, shaking her head "Nor have i met a skinny hobbit either. But stranger things in this world, i am sure.. Stranger things."

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 22]
Author : Vladim
Date : Jul 8 '16 7:45pm

http://i1050.photobucket.com/albums/s419/Svorinn/The _bride_zpsh8yahesv.png

Lost in her own thoughts, the Bride paid little attention to the food and idle conversation, which in any case held little interest for her. At times the exchanges between the dwarves caught her ear, forcing her to conclude that these folks were much alike each other. She kept that thought to herself.

Feeling that the dinner will proceed along the same lines for many hours, the Bride decides it is time to go. Quietly, she lifts herself from her chair, offering a laconic excuse. 'A long day will dawn tomorrow. I plan to take part in the Great Hunt, if Bard's men extend their invitation to outsiders. Goodnight.'

The wolf-hound hesitates, showing interest in both the food and his new friends. But a few words from the huntress are enough to ensure his obedience. 'Come, Bondolf. We must go.'

And that's probably my last post for the next two weeks. Sorry to leave the scene like that, but real life will keep me from posting anyway. Plus it seems fitting, given this PCs stoic, laconic and serious personality, and her lack of courtesy skills.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 23]
Author : Dramacydal
Date : Jul 9 '16 1:36am

http://i1032.photobucket.com/albums/a403/ScotThomas8/fae60ef7-6f81-4b8a-b965-467115fe01c6_zpsbkyhxp96.jpg[/IMG]"]Soon the embers from the fire seemed to glow like speckles of hot coal. Stoking the fire, a blast of smoke filters in the Knight's Stave. the great meal has been finished and the serving plates have been taken away by serving maids. Pipe weed is lit by some, as the drink still flows. The feeling is somber and more sober as the night wanes on. With news of King Bard's recent illness, little is known about the lengths the Great Hall will enact to resolve the territory issues with the Dwarves of Lonely Mountain of Erebor. 

It was Bard the Bowman who shot the lethal black tipped arrow to Smaugs underbelly that fell the dragon of the mountain. Bard would lay claim to a lot of the treasure which he used to rebuild Lake Town. It is said that Bain, Bard the Bowman's son will succeed Bard after King Bard is no more. 

What statement to draw on as the legend told of how Isildur cut the one ring from Sauron's finger. Even as far east, there was some patrons in disagreement. With the Line of Stewarts effectively disallowing anyone not of Gondor bloodline to openly rule Gondor, Denethor II is the current stewart of Gondor to rule. His son Boromir is said to be next in line to effectively rule the kingdom of Gondor as the next line of the stewart. 

Warm conversation and fellowship are met as everyone here is mostly from eastern Eriador. Bella the fool of a took is a hobbit treasure hunter from the shire who knows of Bilbo quite fondly. Remembering times when Bella avoided marriage to take up a life of adventurer. Bella know Gramtyng as the rider of Rohan, northwest of Gondor and staunch ally of the people from there. The Rorhirrim are herders and farmers who have had to protect their borders from the infringing orcs and goblins from Mordor.

Gramtyng is far from his home much like Elerrina from Rivendell, Duilin of the North and a dunedain warden from Dunedan or what  the elves like to call westerner in elvish called Adun. Even the Bride has difficulty expressing herself as the Bride. The Woodman is  far from home as well. Nori on the other hand is a dwarf from the lonely mountains selling his trinkets and wares with the hopes of getting rich and living a prosperous way of life. 

Soon after a moment of silence happens. Whether is was from a silent revelry or the camaraderie of friendship, respect is given to any willing to take the lead in conversation, a young boy enters the tavern. He couldn't be more than ten years old and begins to speak. 

滴elp! Please help! My father ・his guards ・they池e going to kill him! We池e going to Mirkwood and they池e going to kill him! He told me to run! Find help! Help!・

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 24]
Author : Maester1216
Date : Jul 9 '16 1:52am

"What direction were you heading?" Arphel springs into action finally, her steely blue eyes focused on the boy. "And how well armed are the guards?" She practically ran for the exit, adjusting the sword at her belt and bow along her back while fidgeting with the straps of her mail hauberk.

Arphel was thankful for the action; she felt uncomfortable in this township, longing for the sheltered canopy of the forests and wide open spaces of the wilds. And while her companions were welcomed... she hesitated to be to friendly with them. The Ranger's life had bred in her something of a hardened detachment attributed to soldiers; it is often easier to accept the loss of a comrade when you barely know them. And in war a clouded mind can be a dangerous obstacle.

She glanced to the others. "Duilin, come with for some preliminary scouting. Elerrina, I need you to gather the others and follow behind us a ways; Duilin and I will assess the situation before we strike." She motioned for the other Ranger to follow her as she motioned for the boy and stay close as they departed.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 25]
Author : Old Overholt
Date : Jul 9 '16 9:20pm

Nori takes a deep sip of his ale, watching as Arphel eagerly tears herself away from the tavern. When he sets his mug down, it's with a bit of a bang rather than gently, showing either annoyance or excitement in what's about to happen. "I swear," he grumbles aloud as the Dunedain is nearly out the door after barking her 'orders'. "She'd walk into a dragon's mouth if someone told her their dog was lost in there." The dwarf doesn't seem to be in too much of a hurry to leave his seat, a half eaten plate of food in front of him in what could probably be mistaken as an eating contest with the hobbit catty-corner to him. Picking up a rib, Nori wags it at the boy, but directs his attention to his comrades all around. "Do we even know who this boy, much less who his father, is?" he asks indignantly.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 26]
Author : Maester1216
Date : Jul 9 '16 9:36pm

"I cannot speak for you master Dwarf, but a Ranger does not abandon those in need. We will discern what information we can along the way... but if you would rather sit here, polishing your gems and stuffing for face, then by all means" she waves her hand dismissively at her surroundings. "Do so. Anyone else with the grit and desire to help can go with Elerrina." She leans down to speak with the boy, her face as soft and comforting as she can muster. "I know this might be difficult but it could prove useful to us; why was your father heading into Mirkwood? hope for trade with the Elves? He must have known those woods to be still dangerous."

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 27]
Author : Neopopulas
Date : Jul 10 '16 3:20am

http://i749.photobucket.com/albums/xx133/DMNeopopulas/Drawn/19aa956d-0f54-422c-8026-79529f4d4fa1_zpsyvinpius.jpg[/IMG]"]

"Mirkwood can be a dangerous place" she gives her bowstring a bit of a test and stands "Well if nothing else we now have to go and rescue Arphel.. Again.." 

"Lets nto dally overlong."

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 28]
Author : Diofant
Date : Jul 10 '16 4:00am

1d12 2d6t 

"A gem caked in mud is a gemstone still"  Muttered the Rohirrim under his breath, recalling an old story.((Invoking Old Songs Virtue))

Gramtyng's hand inches towards his sword but stops; there is no reason for panic... not yet, anyway. Instead, the minstel sighs and swings his lute onto his  back, his pipe long packed away. Despite his dislike for the glorification of war, he still had the training beat into him, and being slow to pack and react, slowly to be ready to ride, was suicide. The rangers attitude  was another matter, but one you've met one commander who liked giving orders, you've met them all. Besides,  Arphel was out from the sticks, courtesy and such were likely to be foregone in favor of sheer survival.

"I dont enjoy being ordered around any more than you, friend Nori, but surely you can see reason behind the rough speech of our friend here. A child wants our help; that is enough."

The minstrel leapt to his feet lightly, patting a few stray crumbs off his leather armor, then finally following Arphel; regardless what he told Nori about the neccesity of following orders  quickly, he himself was not going to drop to the floor when anyone said 'carpet'. Of course, if he thought it necessary, he wouldnt think  twice of it. But he disagreed with Arphel's plan, and there was no time for a discussion; so, they would talk as they ran as time, after all, was of the essence. "How many guards, kiddo?" He fell in to a steady pace on the child's other side. There  was no point bringing Leasere, a man galloping on a horse would only be cause for alarm. "I am a poor ambusher, I'm afraid - better that I go with you. Let's discuss leadership and courtesy some other time, shall we? Around the fire, with a nice hot meal. Just so we dont end up having... confrontations."

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 29]
Author : Born on the Bayeux
Date : Jul 10 '16 5:45am

"A skinny hobbit?!"  Bella tried to imagine such a thing.

She was still trying to fathom such a atrocity later when the gathering had turned to stories and song.  Bella had shared her pipeweed with those cultured enough to appreciate it.  The local crop wasn't Old Toby but it would suffice.  At the talk of the One Ring, Bella blew a ring of fading smoke to show what she thought of such stories.  

It was then that the boy had entered the Knight's Stave with his frantic entreaty.  Caught between her plate of Elevenses and a quest for glory, Bella leapt to the challenge.  Well, perhaps there was a moment of soul-searching and an extra bite or two.  Bella sped off after her fellowship, little legs working twice as fast merely to keep up...

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 30]
Author : Who_Am_I
Date : Jul 10 '16 6:05pm

Though not as quick to jump out of his seat as Arphel, Duilin nevertheless taps out the ashes of his pipe into his hand before stowing the pipe in the pouch it had been retrieved from. The ashes he brushes between his hands so that it mixes with the sweat in his palms which he then smudges across his face so that when he slides his hood back up to shade it, there remains little that can be seen of his features. The sword he slides an inch from its scabbard, ensuring that the blade slid free, before nodding his readiness to Arphel. ”We will tread carefully and ensure that our path is secure, or at least not as treacherous as it has otherwise been when haste has won over judgement. Peace, friends.” There was a calming edge to Duilin’s voice, that of a man who is used to speaking and being He is Lordly, after all ;), a maker of peace and spreader of stories all in one. ”Speak up child, time is hardly on our side in this matter.”

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 31]
Author : Dramacydal
Date : Jul 10 '16 7:11pm

http://i1032.photobucket.com/albums/a403/ScotThomas8/fae60ef7-6f81-4b8a-b965-467115fe01c6_zpsbkyhxp96.jpg[/IMG]"]Belgo痴 words tumble out in a terrified flood. The company can piece together the story: his father Baldor is a merchant of Dale. He has a caravan of trade goods, and intended to bring it across Mirkwood. He hired seven guards for protection, but these guards have now turned on him. The caravan is nearby ・if the company hurry, they can rescue Baldor. "What direction were you heading? And how well armed are the guards?", exclaims Arphel. Then Belgo says while out of breath. "The company are out in the countryside near the Long Lake. They are armed with a bunch of short swords."

 "I know this might be difficult but it could prove useful to us; why was your father heading into Mirkwood? hope for trade with the Elves? "I must have known those woods to be still dangerous." He explains that his father Baldor set out from Lake-town with me and the seven thugs. He is a merchant and a travelling trader, and his four ponies are carrying iron tools and toys from Dale that he intends to sell to the folk of Woodland Hall. My father has arranged with the Elves for passage through their lands. He knows that Mirkwood is dangerous, and so he looked in Esgaroth for guards who were brave enough to risk the crossing of the forest. It seems that he chose poorly."

As Belgo words trail off while traveling upon horses through the grasslands along the Long River, there is a grouping of trees lit with campfire as the horses nigh in frustration that they were woken from their sleep. The terrain features is sparsely dotted trees along the long river. You can see the seven thugs toying with Baldor as he waves a thick stick as it slams into one of the thugs face;leaving a welt and red mark. There are ponies tethered to a tree, the wagon near by from which to hide behind but it is on the other side of their encampment. Belgo points in the direction that his father is over there. Kneeling behind a few loosely scattered rocks that were tall enough to support cover, it appears that each of you have surprise therefore can act in initiative first.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 32]
Author : Old Overholt
Date : Jul 10 '16 7:25pm

His pride or his resistance having taken enough beating, it's only when Bella chooses action (mostly) over food that Nori begrudgingly removes himself from his chair. Hoisting his gear over his right shoulder and grabbing a rib for the road, the dwarf is probably the last to leave the tavern, bringing up the rear of the Fellowship. He's neither racing to adventure nor dragging his feet - he might just have resigned himself to the anchor of the group, making sure no one or nothing is left behind, staying in close proximity to the last of the companions and trying to remain vigilant of what they might not know around them.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 33]
Author : Maester1216
Date : Jul 10 '16 7:44pm

Arphel studied her foes as she pulled the bow from around her back and knocked an arrow, aiming at one of the thugs farthest from the group. She whispered briefly to Duilin. "We strike from back to front; kill the two near the Ponies, then Wagons, then we dispose of the other three. On my command... let fly." She pulled the string of her bow taught as aim for her target; she whispered softly. 1.... 2.... 3.. She let fly her arrow.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 34]
Author : Who_Am_I
Date : Jul 10 '16 10:01pm

Duilin moved up as quietly as he could to Arphel, testing the draw on his bow and wishing he had spent more time practicing with the weapon and less with the sword that hung at his hip. Still, the ranger drew an arrow from the quiver balanced against the weight of the sword, nocked it against the string of the bow and breathed to calm his hands before moving in a smooth motion that he knew conceptually at the very least. As the bow was brought up, he drew back the string with two fingers on either side of the nocked arrow, the muscles in his shoulders and back tensing at the pull of the bow as he brought the string back so that it was in line with his cheek and he could sight down the arrow. Another breath as Arphel counted them down and, as she hit one, he released his arrow as smoothly as he could so that it would strike its target at the same time. As long as his aim were true, of course.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 35]
Author : Diofant
Date : Jul 10 '16 10:12pm

The minstrel let out a low, melodic whistle at the news Belgo had told them. "Seven men, huh? Your father is either a very careful man, or hmm... well, dont know much of Mirkwood." He was going to say '...or he carries more than toys and iron toos.' but that would sound too thug-like to a terrified child who was already having trust issues. What did it matter if his father was a coward or not? Still... it was a more than a little odd: seven men whom were hired abandoned their employer just like that, out here, without even waiting to go far outside the city, where they could have robbed him easier. The very idea of robbing him was odd, too: toys and tools? These had  to be very -specific- bandits. 

1d12 1d6t (you did say the other thread is for COMBAT rolls only) (activating virtue of old songs)
"Dress a goat in silk, and its still a goat." Muttered the minstrel - an old saying that came to mind. "Nope." Concluded Gramtyng. "Definetly do not agree with Arphel there." Killing thugs like this, regardless of what they did and did not do, was not their place. Who could put a value on life? Maybe kings and judges, but not common folks like them. Indeed, he would have much preferred to simply persuade or intimidate these thugs into running; it did not seem like anyone had hurt the merchant just yet - more than that, even, the man managed to give one of the idiots a good whack already!

He cursed his decision to not bring Leasere along - he  could have used his old friend right now. The sight of an armored man, twirling spinning a good blade above his head, death-song of the Rohirrim upon his lips usually was enough to send even orcs running, much less some random ruffians. Still grumbing under his breath, the minstrel nocked an arrow and drew back a shot without any great motivation. Didnt feel right to do this like this; he hated himself for allowing these sort of thoughts to break his usual sneering outlook on life. His mood completely spoiled, he drew back an arrow, stille his breath, aimed, and loosed his shot at the same time a Arphel's. There was something to say about the intimidating factor of a synchronized volley.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 36]
Author : Neopopulas
Date : Jul 11 '16 5:11am

http://i749.photobucket.com/albums/xx133/DMNeopopulas/Drawn/19aa956d-0f54-422c-8026-79529f4d4fa1_zpsyvinpius.jpg[/IMG]"]

Elerrina had taken her time, keeping up with the back of the group but she had decided that she would, at very least, see what the situation was before she came to any conclusions.. But now, seeing the situation for what it was - at very least, very uneven odds - she decided something had to be done.

Knocking an arrow with the smooth grace of long practice she takes aim at the thug near the wagon and legs fly.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 37]
Author : Dramacydal
Date : Jul 11 '16 12:20pm

http://i1032.photobucket.com/albums/a403/ScotThomas8/fae60ef7-6f81-4b8a-b965-467115fe01c6_zpsbkyhxp96.jpg[/IMG]"]"We strike from back to front; kill the two near the Ponies, then Wagons, then we dispose of the other three. On my command... let fly." She pulled the string of her bow taught as aim for her target; she whispered softly. 1.... 2.... 3.. She let fly her arrow.

As the arrow zipped into the clearing of camp and men, the night did little to impede the arrow from it's mark. Even the foliage and trees did little to stop the ranger from her precise arrow shot. With a thud, the arrow sunk deep into one of the guarded thugs who gasped in pain."What the *&^%" as the man became wounded from the arrow protruding from the meat of his shoulder to chest.

Duilin who released his arrow the same time as Arphel did not fair as well. With the shot missing it's mark by several meters, this alerted the rest of the guards as well as the thug who was wounded from Arphel's bow shot. As most of them searched to see where the shot comes from, but through no avail, they cannot see through the starry night and much beyound the campfire of their camp. They do however withdraw their short swords. 

"Seven men, huh? Your father is either a very careful man, or hmm... well, dont know much of Mirkwood.", excalims Gramtyng the minstrel of Rohan. Belgo just remains huddled away from the fighting and whispers, "Even though we had passage through Mirkwood, our father could not score a vanguard of Thranduil's men to accompany us through the enchanted forests. We were left with hiring guards to assist us."

Elerinna felt hand to hand combat was more to her liking as the high elf from Rivendell jumps into the clearing and has an open stance with one of the closer guards near the wagon. Swinging her longsword, she scores a lethal hit that creates a deep gash in the mans abdomen. Soon blood profusely pours from the wounded guard as he gasps in pain and shock.

I believe Bella and Nori still have their turns to post actions.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 38]
Author : Old Overholt
Date : Jul 11 '16 12:36pm

Watching the Elf rush to aide the others firing arrows into the trees ahead and then the shouts of the 'guards' sounding their alert, the dwarf at the back of the pack shakes his head before grumbling something under his breath. Spotting a large, discernible tree nearby, Nori chucks his backpack and gear into its trunk so that he can find it later, leaving him equipped with just his armor and his long-hafted axe. Staying near Bella's side with the axe held in both hands, the dwarf tells her, "He may have hired seven... who led him into a trap with seven more. Keep your eyes open."

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 39]
Author : Diofant
Date : Jul 11 '16 6:12pm

Gramtyng grimaced as his arrow did little more than annoy the thugs, and pulled the second from his quiver. It seemed like their foes still haven't realized where they were; strange, really, considering they should have understood where the shots were coming from. Then again, he didnt really expect overly much from bandits who were so inept as to attempt to rob a toy merchant without even waiting for them to go further from the city, where the kid would have no chance to bring help. Dunledings were much more organized, but then again they had to be; the Riders of the Mark had little mercy for raiders. 

Maybe they could spare a few once they had the numerical advantage... he was fairly confident in his intimidation skill, as with any tactics involving his voice and narration, of course. A proper bard had to know how to manipulate his audience into the proper emotions necessary for the tale he spun; to capture the audience's hearts was a complex dance. There, he had been Aldor's attentive student: after all, it also helped to woo women. 

Cutting his reminiscence short, Gramtyng nocked a second arrow, drew, aimed, controlled his breath, and fired once more, this time not bothering to wait for the others. At this point, they simply had to squeeze off as many shots as they could.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 40]
Author : Born on the Bayeux
Date : Jul 12 '16 4:10am

The extra mouthfuls wasn't what slowed down Bella, or depending on her tiny legs once she leapt off of her comrade's horse.  It was the sight of a bad situation getting worse.  She didn't even have time to express gratitude for Nori's protective presence by her side.

Hobbits, or halflings as the locals usually said, were often thought to be cowardly and soft.  It would be closer to say peaceful and appreciative of comfort.  They certainly did not often have the bloodlust and greed she now saw in Men.  Even dwarves only go mad for gold, men so often look for reasons for madness.

She yelled to the cruel strangers, "Are there not enemies of Free Folk enough that they must now fight among themselves?  Hundreds of slain orcs have dulled my comrade's blades but sharpened their skills.  Yield now or join them!  Is there no other way for you to learn that gold means nothing to the dead?!"

Bella prayed the fools would listen for their own sake...


1. I apologize for the delay in responding.  It has been a busy week in real-life.
2. While most hobbits are brave when needed, few of them relish violence.  It is in Bella's character to make at least one attempt to Persuade the thugs to surrender.
3. This justifies a Persuade roll, I think, which I will roll in the Dice Thread.  I will play off of Dramacydle's reply in either thread.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 41]
Author : Neopopulas
Date : Jul 12 '16 12:04pm

http://i749.photobucket.com/albums/xx133/DMNeopopulas/Drawn/19aa956d-0f54-422c-8026-79529f4d4fa1_zpsyvinpius.jpg[/IMG]"]

Continuing to engage from behind the rest she fires a second arrow towards the men near the wagon. The quicker she can thin the herd the better for everyone.

"No point in trying to convince this sort of ilk my friend..."

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 42]
Author : Diofant
Date : Jul 13 '16 5:15am

"Believe me, Bella, I'd much rather not pointessly kill these men either before they even had a chance to do any lasting harm, but time was of the essence!" Threw the minstrel over his shoulder, grasping for yet another arrow in frustration of this whole  situation. "If just one more arrow hits its mark, I will try to end this with no further blood spilled." The hobbit had the right idea, he knew, but taking a kinder tone with raiders and looters was a mistake one didnt make twice. Once at least one more arrow had pierced flesh, the numerical advantage would give his already (doubtlessly an uncontestedly) authoritative voice enough power to convince the poor saps to surrender, and from there, they were a problem for the city guard.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 43]
Author : Who_Am_I
Date : Jul 14 '16 9:59am

Duilin doesn't hesitate to retrieve and nock another arrow, sighting down the shaft and brushing his cheek with the fetching as he draws back the bow and lets fly once more. A silent promise is made as he releases the string, to practice more with the bow as they travel as his father would likely be ashamed of him should he see such lacklustre archery time after time...

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 44]
Author : Born on the Bayeux
Date : Jul 15 '16 4:36am

Her fellows had been right all along.  Deep down, she had known it as well.  There was no chance for words now, there may never have been a chance.  Bella sighed, "Aye. But I wanted that words were at least ventured."  With great sadness, she began to nock an arrow.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 45]
Author : Old Overholt
Date : Jul 15 '16 2:21pm

Gripping his hands about the shaft of his axe, the skins on his hands making a dull squeaking sound as the juices from his meal rubs across the wood, Nori keeps a look out at the side of the hobbit as she raises her bow. He doesn't turn his eyes to her directly - instead watching for any potential surprises coming out of the woods - and says to her in a gruff aside, "We should'ave tried those words before we put an arrow in'them."

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 46]
Author : Dramacydal
Date : Jul 16 '16 2:32am

http://i1032.photobucket.com/albums/a403/ScotThomas8/fae60ef7-6f81-4b8a-b965-467115fe01c6_zpsbkyhxp96.jpg[/IMG]"] “Be off!” he shouts, “This is none of your business! We have been cheated by Baldor and we want what is rightly ours. Leave before we come after you." Then some more volleys of arrows zip into the sinking ground around the guard speaker. 

Dropping their swords, the five remaining thugs run deep into the night, away from their personal possessions and belongings. Baldor is physically shaken but has not received any harm from the attacking guards.  Calling out into the night, the merchant thanks you by shouting into the forest and outlying rocks near a body of water. 

"Thank you, thank you. I do not know what I would have done if you hadn't saved my life!", then his boy Belgo runs into the encampment as soon as it is safe from danger and hugs his father. "Father, father I did like you said and went to get help. There are women, men and a dwarf with a hobbit that came to your rescue. Please father, meet them so that you can get to know them."

Then the two wait for any of the fellowship to enter camp and begin a friendly discussion with Baldor and Belgo. There are two deceased guards  that died from the unfortunate attack. "Sometimes it is wise to show power to get the point across", spoke the young but wise ten year old. With a nod from his merchant father, the two of them sit and with a puff of their cheeks , are relieved to have survived the betrayal.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 47]
Author : Diofant
Date : Jul 16 '16 3:53am

As more arrows took to the air, Gramtyng had decided now was an opportune time to put his trade to use, and see just how well Blind Aldor had taught him. He carefully replaced his bow on its spot behind him, and instead rose up to his feet, walking out of the bushes he took refuge in. Now was a time to be bold and theatrical, not hide himself. He'd had a half-dozen of good entrance scenarios, he had partricularly favoured the one where he held up a sword that was on fire - but he had no lamp oil right now, so that would have to wait. Ideally for never, really; as much as he loved theatrics and they were his bread and butter, leading the charge was not something he enjoyed. To compose a good song based on an event, you had to observe from the sidelines, after all.

There was a sound of hissing steel as the Rohirrim withdrew his sword from its sheathe - a universal sound announcing an unvoiced threat in any place in Middle-Earth. The promise of violence could not be ignored: that was what Gramtyng counted on. "You have made a grievous error in judgement, attacking the man who hired you, and in such an inept and clumsy way! Look -  you were seven, and are now five. Leave, and never return! In Rohan, your heads would decorate pikes outside Edoras as a warning to other fools - but here, maybe you can escape the guards, if you start running now. Persist, and you may escape the guards... but not me and my companions!" 

OOC: this is basically the speech that goes along with my Awe roll; my apologies, my wifi was bein a bit spotty, so I was late. After the bandits ran off:

Gramtyng sheathed is sword with a flourish and a click of steel, making a mental note to collect his two arrows. Best sort of combat this; minimal casualies, no wounds, and voice being enough to drive of thieving scum. Though they ran, the rider's eyes were on the road the bandits took to escape. How odd. They were 'cheated'? What was this, some excuse they felt they needed to rob the man, or... It was interesting. Perhaps the merchant paid them too little...? But for what? They JUST left the city.

"You've got a smart son, Baldor! Ran straight into the Knight's Stave, where we were and lead us down the quickes path." He paused, brushing a few stray leaves off his cloak: "What were those imbeciles yelling about 'cheating' and the like?" Gramtyng considered he situation, gaze becoming grim when he spotted the two bodies and their belongings. "We cant leave em for the vultures... No matter what they were. What do you reckon we should do with their things? Hand em off to the city guard?"

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 48]
Author : Neopopulas
Date : Jul 16 '16 5:13am

http://i749.photobucket.com/albums/xx133/DMNeopopulas/Drawn/19aa956d-0f54-422c-8026-79529f4d4fa1_zpsyvinpius.jpg[/IMG]"]

"I better not find out we were mislead.." Trusting men.. never a good idea, sometimes she forgot that.. "Best find out who they are, if we can."

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 49]
Author : Maester1216
Date : Jul 17 '16 10:06pm

"Is what they said true man? You cheated them?" Arphel strode forward firmly and commandingly like an officer, her steely blue eyes sizing up this humble merchant. "While that does not excuse their actions... I think it prudent to get the whole story." She narrowed her eyes at the man.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 50]
Author : Neopopulas
Date : Jul 18 '16 11:15am

http://i749.photobucket.com/albums/xx133/DMNeopopulas/Drawn/19aa956d-0f54-422c-8026-79529f4d4fa1_zpsyvinpius.jpg[/IMG]"]

There is a sigh from Elerrina says much.. Her opinion of men was not exactly at its peak today.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 51]
Author : Old Overholt
Date : Jul 18 '16 12:31pm

This situation apparently under control, Nori remains in a state of heightened alert. He grumbles to the hobbit on his left, "I'll be back - going to grab my things before the thieving lot in these woods make off with them." Slowly walking backward at first, the dwarf eventually turns to make the short jaunt back to the tree where he left his gear and collect his things.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 52]
Author : Born on the Bayeux
Date : Jul 19 '16 3:57am

http://i756.photobucket.com/albums/xx208/kookalouris/Bella_zpsoctracah.png

By the time Bella was prepared, the fight was over.  The living were no longer in danger and the dead were forever beyond it.  She relaxed, accidentally loosing her arrow.  Fortunately, her instinctive dislike for combat had made her keep the bow pointed downward and away from any people.  The arrow buried a few inches of itself in the ground a few feet away.

With slight embarrassment, Bella pulled at the arrow until the soil surrendered it.  Her tiny form made this nonchalant instant a long, conspicuous moment.  She blushed slightly and went to follow Nori.  Her brave fellow had been her protector and she had been touched by his caring.  And this close to Mirkwood, no one should be alone.  And there is no such thing as far enough away from Mirkwood for these tiny feet, Bella thought.


Her caution at not aiming at anyone casually should make the loosing of an arrow seem more forgivable.  Bella is equally fond of Nori and I have learned that PCs shouldn't separate and at least two together means there can be conversation (plot-advancing and character-revealing).  It is the whole reason Sam was with Frodo in Mordor.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 53]
Author : Dramacydal
Date : Jul 20 '16 12:01am

http://i1032.photobucket.com/albums/a403/ScotThomas8/fae60ef7-6f81-4b8a-b965-467115fe01c6_zpsbkyhxp96.jpg[/IMG]"]"Is what they said true man? You cheated them?" Arphel strode forward firmly and commandingly like an officer, her steely blue eyes sizing up this humble merchant. "While that does not excuse their actions... I think it prudent to get the whole story." She narrowed her eyes at the man. "Not one bit of it. Is that what they told you? You can't trust a beggar from the Dale anymore than a took being late for dinner.", exclaimed Baldor the merchant. "Besides, they lied to me as well. They told me they would take me through Mirkwood without problem. There was initially three but because of King Thranduil's elves knowing of our plight, Valmer went and searched for an extra four men to help with any problems. If you know what I mean. I think now that he just wanted extra muscle to intimidate me out of my wagon and coin. Didn't care one bit that when my wife died during Smaug's destruction of Lake-Town did I realize that I had to start over and sell everything I could to keep me and my boy from starving. We could use the help getting through Mirkwood. Would you help us in our plea?"

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 54]
Author : Maester1216
Date : Jul 20 '16 12:12am

"Yes we will." Arphel gives a look to Duilin; its one of expectation, rather than desire. She briefly readjusts her armour before sifting through the dead bandits to retrieve her arrows... though she gives one last cursory glance of the merchant, seeking to discern any hidden motives behind his words.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 55]
Author : Diofant
Date : Jul 20 '16 12:31am

"Y'know, I get the feelin' you're forgetting something. We're adventurers, to be sure, but we've got to eat too - how much are you paying for this escort job, Baldor? No offence, I see well enough you've not had the best of luck, but then again, neither do we." Garmtyng had finished finding his two arrows, and now returned to find their self-appointed leader to have accepted the job for them. He'd been a bit unhappy about that, but it's not like he would have declined it, himself. Minstrel fees could only put so much food on the table, and there was Leasere too - he'd sooner starve than his horse be fed badly. "I need to go get Leasere before we head off, and we need provisions - and bury these two and their things. I'd rather not pillage bandits."

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 56]
Author : Maester1216
Date : Jul 20 '16 12:35am

"You want food? Hunt. Water? Find a stream. I won't stop you but I'm not a mercenary; I won't accept payment for helping him." Arphel only barely flicks a glance to Gramtyng as she speaks; she had little patience for those who prioritized personal gain over simple altruism. "Duilin we should go on ahead, do some scouting. Elerrina your elf eyes would be of great help to us in that regard." She turns to face the two when she speaks, her voice clear and authoritative.

Her eyes glance over Baldor, his every motion and gesture and explosion of intent and meaning. She studies him slowly, trying to tease out a hidden meaning to his airs and stance.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 57]
Author : Diofant
Date : Jul 20 '16 1:11am

"That..." Gramtyng chuckled, securing his pack's straps. "Is entirely your choice. We helped this man out, as it would be heartless to do otherwise. But trekking across the Mirk for free? That's more than being generous, that's more than a bit eccentric." He waved off her suggestion dismissively, turning back to the merchant: "My aim in life isnt to be an eternal wanderer, so I do need to save up. Besides; it is only fair, is it not? He was going to pay those men; now that they fled, and he wants us to escort him, he would be paying us. And another thing, Arphel. Before you go making plans or barking orders - seriously, try consulting the rest of us. We're all in this together, after all, and disagreements due to assumptions would be highly dangerous out there."

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 58]
Author : Dramacydal
Date : Jul 21 '16 1:04am

http://i1032.photobucket.com/albums/a403/ScotThomas8/fae60ef7-6f81-4b8a-b965-467115fe01c6_zpsbkyhxp96.jpg[/IMG]"]"Yes, I agree to pay. Get me to the Forest Gate where I can sell my wares and I shall  deed a prosperous treasure to each of you for helping. It is only fair I believe. For you will have'd earned my trust far more than you think. I can tell all of you to be of good character and stock. A Rohan, Hobbit of the Shire, Dwarf of Grey Mountains, and several Dunedain Rangers. Yes, you shall gain coin for a prosperous lifestyle for a month indeed.", exclaimed Baldor.

Then when most or all in agreement and small talk out of the way, Belgo leads the horses by riding upon them with a wagon tethered to their reigns. The travel is fair, but endurance and the heavy weight of gear and items seem to weigh heavily upon your back. For those without a horse to travel on, Baldor has several ponies to ride upon making it a little easier to travel. 

As you approach Mirkwood, the gnarly forest begins to come into view and close distance from your approaching caravan. Upon reaching the edge of Mirkwood, you can't but help feel that something is watching you. An evil presence to be sure, a feeling of impending doom reaches from the pit of your stomach as fear begins to set in. Mirkwood has a long history of being located in the North Wilderland of Middle-Earth.

There are a few elves ready and waiting for Baldor. They eye you suspiciously but see that you travel with a Dwarf and as well a High Elf of Rivendell. They help Baldor and Belgo unload their wares upon rafts that will carry them west to Forest Gate and towards the Halls of the Elvenking. Even the ponies and horses bare the weight of the rafts as they slowly traverse the Forest River. 

After several days of slow travel, the land on either side of the rafts rises and turns stony and wooded, and the company pass into the shadow of the trees. It is as though the rafts are sailing up a dark tunnel, as the branches interlace overhead into a dark canopy. The company glimpse tall hills in gaps between the trees, until the river widens and the trees grow thinner once again. Here, a bay opens, and huts cling close to a shingly shore. The Elves steer down a stream which flows out of a rocky canyon. The canyon walls grow higher and higher, until the rafts pass a portcullis and suddenly they find themselves in the caves of the Elvenking.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 59]
Author : Maester1216
Date : Jul 21 '16 1:20am

Arphel remains ever attentive over the several days of travel, her eyes watching the riverbed and forest line for any signs of trouble; even with the presence of Elves she knew of Mirkwood's dark history... and did not doubt that some orcs still maintained a presence within the massive forest. Her taught muscles appear poised for an attack from all directions.

The caves of the Elvenking provide her some respite, but Arphel's soldier nature would prevent her from fully letting her guard down.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 60]
Author : Neopopulas
Date : Jul 21 '16 2:54am

http://i749.photobucket.com/albums/xx133/DMNeopopulas/Drawn/19aa956d-0f54-422c-8026-79529f4d4fa1_zpsyvinpius.jpg[/IMG]"]

It was times like this that Elerrina would often think to herself over whether this was exactly something that she should be doing. She could still be at home, in workshop or library. But it never lasts long, despite the long lives of elves, time can still seem finite at times. She knew that this age would not last forever and were she to stay at home, she would certainly miss something important.

"Tis a shame about Mirkwood.. Still it has seen better days i think."

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 61]
Author : Born on the Bayeux
Date : Jul 22 '16 5:24am

http://i756.photobucket.com/albums/xx208/kookalouris/Bella_zpsoctracah.png (http://www.myth-weavers.com/showthread.php?t=363603)

The journey to Mirkwood was hard on Bella although she tried hard not to let it show.  For once, the little hobbit did not need admonishment to stay on the path.  Well, at least not too often.  More than a few steps into the dense tangle of forest and you might lose your way.  It had almost happened once too often.  At times, Bella squinted into the forest so intently she could have sworn she saw webs.

When the fellowship finally entered the caves of the Elvenking, Bella was relieved.  Even the dark and chill were welcome for they weren't endless trees.


I am playing Bella a little weary and thus possibly careless as she has a Hazard coming up...

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 62]
Author : Diofant
Date : Jul 22 '16 11:09pm

"Nori?" Gramtyng scratched his head. "He's from Erebor. Glad to see you're willing to agree to fees, I hate arguing about that stuff." He walked away to pack his bags, fetch Leasere, and of course, attend to the grim task that Bella volunteered for as well; burying the two dead bandits. He'd shot arrows at them, even if he did miss, it seemed improper to just burn them like they were orcs, as would be done in Rohan. There was always the chance to correct things with words, he grimly concluded, shovel digging into the dirt, but once blood was shed, it was a slim chance. Perhaps he ought to have been quicker at scaring the thugs than he was, and two lives could have been spared. Had these been orcs, he wouldnt have given this a second thought... But these were humans. Same as him. Perhaps not entirely evil men, who had families, maybe. Finishing up the burial, he thrust their swords into the dirt where the graves were, and shoveled the bandits belongings into a third pit. He wanted none of their money nor weapons; desperate though he may have been to gather gold for Leasere and himself to live well, to lower himself to marauding those who havent wronged him was too much.

---Later...---

Gramtyng poured over the maps of their way, trying to figure out for himself if there was a better path to take but could not find anything that would cause them to change course from the one Nori had proposed earlier. Just as well, if he, an outsider, could come up with a better path than Nori for these parts, that would have been... odd. He looked up from the map, patting Leasere on the neck to calm him - not required, as the palfrey was well trained, but by now it was almost mechanical. His gaze had wandered to the trees as the rafts neared the protcullis, and among the treeline, he spotted something odd. Due to his father's insistence on either King's Guard or the Peerless Hunter career choices, Gramtyng liked to think he knew most animals by their footprint, much less silhouette, but this...?

It was hunched over, moving on all fours, but the legs had been bent the way a human's might, so it had not been some malnourished mongrel or forest cat. The head was too large and too round, almost oversized for its body. A goblin? A very small and starved one, maybe? The monstrel reached for his bow, but in the next second his eyes met those of the critter, and he knew it was not a goblin: What filthskin, after all, had blue eyes like that? They had been cold, almost fishlike, but the intelligence within was absolutely not that of an animal. He decided to bring it to the Rangers and Elf's attention later, maybe the Bride's as well; perhaps at camp. 

The rest of the trip passed by without incident; the minstrel lead the horse off the raft and helped others unpack their things. When Ellerina voiced her pity about the forest, he tapped his head slightly, trying to recall something, and replied: "It was called... Greenwood the Great before, wasnt it?"

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 63]
Author : Dramacydal
Date : Jul 23 '16 7:19am

http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r634/Dramacydle8/3cbeefff-0ba9-46b7-9270-bf499829fb3c_zpsxc3dnmpq.jpg[/IMG]"]

Mirkwood was inhabited by Elves from the earliest times. From the earliest times, Mirkwood was a former vestige of it's once proud glory. After the Necromancer described as a darkening or shadow of evil influenced the depths of Mirkwood, this shadow forever changed Greenwood the Great to what it is now called. Mirkwood Forest. Now ettercaps, spiders, and a dizzying and overwhelming feeling of being miserable and corruption seem to take over. 

With Thranduil having escaped and lost most of his territory and now resides on the Forest River of the Halls of the Elvenking, Thranduil is a lot like his elven brethern. Full of distrust and animosity towards any of the other cultures and races of Middle-Earth, Thranduil is afraid to leave his home and retake Mirkwood. 

Soon the Elves of Mirkwood un load Baldor's wares upon the moist packed earth of the underground dwelling called the Halls of the Elvenking. The facial expression of the Elves are that of distrust and are eager to move on from this laborious endeavor. You are taken to an area that opens up to an expansive room but after some short moments, you find them locking you inside the room. The bars are made of strong wood, and are tied together by sinewy weeds and wood fibers of the trees of Mirkwood. 

They leave you with your gear at least. A Beorn's saying goes as this, "Without force of strength is not like having a weapon of steel." Remembering casually to yourself. Baldor pleads with you that this is temporary and they do not want you roaming the halls. If it not for Nori, their trust might have spoken in better volumes to you. Still it is a safe place to rest.", Belgo says as the short and wise ten year old is full of expressing comments. 

Lindar, an Elf of Mirkwood sees this as an opportunity to stand on the other side of the guarded gate of wood. "Baldor, these are not the ones that you traveled with in Esgaroth. Do my eyes deceive me?", mentioned Lindar. Baldor exclaims of the situation on the open road near Long Lake. With a sigh of relief, Lindar seems to believe him but does not trust you or even perhaps the ones Baldor originally traveled with. 

"In two days, I will travel with you to the end of King Thranduils realm. Here our agreement and pact written in the gold of coin will be fullfilled." Then Baldor nods in approval and finds a seat and unrolls a backpack with a blanket and uses some worn clothes as a pillow. "While it's not the cleanest of places to sleep, nor the most comfortable, at least we are safe." Then Belgo pipes up, "At least for now."

OOC: Original prose on Mirkwood written by Loremaster to convey successful Lore test and his reasons by Master.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 64]
Author : Maester1216
Date : Jul 23 '16 2:26pm

"That's something at least. We will need the rest.... though I am loathe to be trapped like a rat in a cage in a region such as this." Arphel slides down the nearest wall in exhaustion, shooting a few imperious, distrusting glances at Lindar before going over her equipment; tightening her bow string, taking a whetstone to her blades and readjusting any loose straps on her hauberk. A brief glance falls on Gramtyng before she begins speaking.

"It was called Greenwood, long ago.... before the Dark One came. A foul Necromancer seized Dol Guldur in the South, and from their spread a corrupting, entropic evil that darkened and befouled this forest. Now? There is only Mirkwood, even in the Northern forest under the Elves, Darkness has been eating at this land for a very long time."

A tone of solemnity enters her voice as she finishes; she holds her blade close to her chest. Her eyes fall on Bella, a slight smile spreading at the corner of her mouth."Have I told you the tales of Arnor before little one?" She gives the hobbit an expectant look.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 65]
Author : Neopopulas
Date : Jul 23 '16 2:33pm

http://i749.photobucket.com/albums/xx133/DMNeopopulas/Drawn/19aa956d-0f54-422c-8026-79529f4d4fa1_zpsyvinpius.jpg[/IMG]"]

"Thranduil is not overly trusting, of late.. " she motions around "Though i suppose it goes without saying..." Fighting about their arrangement was pointless, though she took more than a little umbrage at it, she wasn't going to let it show.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 66]
Author : Diofant
Date : Jul 24 '16 2:50am

Gramtyng nodded at the information Arphel shares, and mentally noted the parts that came as news to him, thanking her, before turning to his lute, strumming it somewhat absentmindedly as he sits in the corner, while Ellerina voices her opinion: "Not overly trusting indeed, but isnt it a tad odd that you, and elf, had to go through this as well?" The minstrel raised an eyebrow at this notion. "Mayhaps you could go talk to Lindar? Or at the very least ask for something warm to drink... Dont know about you, but I'm a bit chilly, myself. Some mulled wine or warm mead would hit the spot - but making a fire in here is well..." Gramtyng flashed a smile: "...Inadvisable. I'd offer a song, but... I am not so arrogant as to expect them want to listen to mine."

((Rolling Insight to maybe roll for a Social Encounter advantage? Up to you Drama, I just feel like Gramtyng would try to get a better sleeping place. If not, ignore the Insight Roll.))

Gramtyng sized up the elf, studying him as best he could, attempting to see how he could best approach him. He didnt want to offend him, after all, and was not sure if he even could get his message across, but he certainly would try, for that warm bed or at least warm drink! "Early to bed and early to rise makes you sore, bored, and bleary of eyes..." He recalled an old saying.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 67]
Author : Vladim
Date : Jul 24 '16 4:10am

http://i1050.photobucket.com/albums/s419/Svorinn/The _bride_zpsh8yahesv.png

The Bride elected to remain silent during most of the journey, contributing what skills she had to the fellowship. And while she did not participate in the confrontation with the bandits, she had remained in hiding, alert, ready, and with dagger in hand, should those criminals engage them in melee. In the end, however, it did not come to that, something she was thankful for. Hunting and killing Free folk were entirely different things, after all.

She did not mind escorting Baldor, as she was heading through Mirkwood anyway, and there was strength in numbers. Yet the age of her new companions-an old man and a child-did worry her somewhat.

At the elven-king's hall, The Bride finally decided to break her silence. Stories of the Woodmen said that the elves were immortal and wise, so they could know about her quarry, the mythical Beast of Mirkwood. Perhaps there was valuable information to be gathered here. So she spoke thusly to Lindar:

’I shall sleep wherever you say and abide by all your customs, Master elf.’ she says hurriedly, eager to get to her point. ’But you should know that I also bring dark tidings from the realm of the Woodmen; dire news that your king would be interested in hearing. Would you lead us to him?'

Ok, back safely from the last leg of my trip. Posting may still be a bit spotty (I have one more flight to make).

I wanted to bring a bit of the Bride's background into play, in particular her connection with the Werewolf of Mirkwood. However, if you think that this derails the game too much, feel free to ignore it or play it down. I just thought it might be a good reason for requesting an audience.

I wanted to convey that the Bride is direct and impatient, i.e. poor Courtesy skills, but can be an imposing, stern figure when motivated. Therefore, I will complement the text above with an Awe roll; the goal is to convey that she is indeed dead serious and knows what she is talking about. If appropriate, I would also like to invoke her Forthright trait to represent her honesty.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 68]
Author : Dramacydal
Date : Jul 24 '16 5:34am

http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r634/Dramacydle8/3cbeefff-0ba9-46b7-9270-bf499829fb3c_zpsxc3dnmpq.jpg[/IMG]"]

"Master Elf?!Dire Tidings? Indeed Woodsmen of the Wilderland.",now exclaimed a more humble servant than master as Lindar speaks again."I'am but overseer of the cellar, my word matters little but your fellowship does travel with an Elf but I do not know of her. Your tidings speak volumes woman. While it's my responsibility that none of you wander the Halls of the Elvenking, I do not like seeing you couped in this dwelling. Come and leave this begotten shelter." Then Lindar unlocks the wooden gate to the room as your fellowship exits the small room; he leads you throughout the grand Halls of the Elvenking. 

The underground is mostly carved out of hewn stone as torches fitted in metal sconces align the uneven walls. As the flaming oil seems to drip down from the carried torch that Lindar carries, the Elf of Mirkwood swiftly walks through a network of corridors and causeways; passing elves who neither care or do. Finally arriving at Thranduil's chambers, the statuesque elf-king of Mirkwood sits upon a chiseled rocky throne that is brightly illuminated by torch light. There are several sentries guarding the king and Thranduils demeanor is of distrust much like the others. With narrow almond eyes, looking you over. He sizes up your party with a narcissistic and haughty demeanor.

Then he speaks, "What is the meaning of this intrusion Lindar? I did not summon these....these people! I do not carry myself in the company of even a dwarf let alone that one. But you, High Elf of Rivendell, I have heard of you. Ellerina is it? Why do you travel with vagabonds and nay sayers? You should be in the company of your brethern. Should you not? And you little one, you should take heed and caution for the very spiders of Mirkwood will eat you alive.", then a boastful laughter errupts from Thranduil. It's as if he is mocking your very presence.

Lindar speaks up when the laughter seems to cease. "Wise king....the human woman has dark tidings from her people. I thought it could not wait lest I leave them were they lay." "Very well, all of you are trying my patience but I grow with boredom each day so please entertain me."then King Thranduil gives you his attention. You have succeeded in what many have tried and failed to do. Communnicate with the King, even let alone see him.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 69]
Author : Neopopulas
Date : Jul 24 '16 6:08am

http://i749.photobucket.com/albums/xx133/DMNeopopulas/Drawn/19aa956d-0f54-422c-8026-79529f4d4fa1_zpsyvinpius.jpg[/IMG]"]

Ellerina offers a small courtesy bow "Good king Thranduil" lifting her head she straightens above her companions "Strange times make for stranger fellows. It seems we adopted the merchant, to a point, but as you hear, there is more than that. Only something worth your time, would we bring to you now."

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 70]
Author : Maester1216
Date : Jul 24 '16 6:09am

Arphel steps forward ahead of the Bride, bowing smoothly and graciously before removing her hood; the deep auburn of her hair is a striking contrast in the gloom of the throne room, accentuated further by her piercing blue eyes. "You honour us with this audience Your Eminence, even in the face of the grim news we carry. I am Arphel, Daughter of Aglaril of the Dunedain and a Ranger of the North. Accompanying is my comrade in arms Duilin and Gramtyng of the Rohirrim. You have already I see been made aware of the wise Elerrina of Rivendell, the stalwart Nori of Erebor, the kindly Bella Bracegirdle of the Shire and the... Bride of the Wilderland, whom brings tidings to your noble court."

The ranger steps aside so as to allow the Bride the floor of discussion, rejoining the others at the front of the group.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 71]
Author : Old Overholt
Date : Jul 24 '16 8:03pm

The dwarf of Erebor places his attention on the hall as opposed to the people, studying the intricate work used to craft the great hall. His focus wanders the towering columns, scanning the expertly done carvings and inlays. There's appreciation and wonder coming from his eyes - maybe even a sort of inspiration for later works. Few could say they've ever stepped foot in this place, but how many would be able to have a design from that hall carved into the handle of an axe or spear? How many would pay for such an extravagance? Nori could find out if he could commit any of it to memory and that's just what he appears to be doing as opposed to paying attention to the conversation at hand.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 72]
Author : Vladim
Date : Jul 24 '16 11:53pm

http://i1050.photobucket.com/albums/s419/Svorinn/The _bride_zpsh8yahesv.png

The huntress from Mountain Hall had never before visited the domain of kings, so she did not know how to carry herself in the presence of one as powerful or as noble as Thranduil. Yet she somehow sensed the ancient king's power, which inspired both fear and respect. Hesitantly, with trembling voice, and averting her eyes from his, she spoke to the great king of the elves.

’Lord Thranduil, your people have long shared this forest with the free Men of the Woodland Realm. Now, a great evil has returned to the forest, a foul creature that threatens both our peoples. I speak of the Beast of Mirkwood. It has awakened once again, and has already claimed the lives of many good Woodmen. You know the history of this forest better than even our greatest sages. I bring you these dire news so that we can do something about it, to end this threat before it becomes even greater.’

She took a step back and lowered her head slightly, awaiting the king's response.

This is probably the last post I can make for the next couple of days, so please feel free to push forward without depending on the Bride for a response. Or, feel free to NPC the Bride for a while, if her participation is critical. Up to the Loremaster.

I will complement this with a persuade roll in the dice thread.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 73]
Author : Diofant
Date : Jul 26 '16 2:43am

"Well, that... That went well." Muttered Gramtyng as he strummed his lute out of habit, standing out of the way. Clearly, he wasnt going to get a turn to speak at this glorious gathering, much less sing, and suggesting he compete in song with an elf as a trick to get them to stay would be ridiculous. It was uncertain if they would be able to benefit from being called to the Feast Hall, but then again... It would be rude for someone as important as a king to simply send off people from a Feast with nothing, even if he did not wish they stayed - but then again, Thranduil was an elf, so his customs likely varied. From his human perspective he was being downright rude but he understood to keep his mouth shut and not make things worse than what they were, simply admiring he surroundings instead.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 74]
Author : Born on the Bayeux
Date : Jul 26 '16 4:29am

http://i756.photobucket.com/albums/xx208/kookalouris/Bella_zpsoctracah.png (http://www.myth-weavers.com/showthread.php?t=363603)

The thought of the Tales of Arnor told by such a master storyteller as Arphel was enough to make Bella forget her weariness from the journey or even her hungryness.  She listened with rapt attention and asked Arphel if she could include the account in her future book.

The tale still kept her interest even in the Halls of the Elvenking.  She had hoped to see where the barrels were cast into the river as Bilbo had said.  But she had not dared to ask the stern elven guides.  Somehow being stared at disapprovingly by an elf was somehow worse than all of the other races.  And Bella knew enough of that.

Besides, those elf eyes seemed to see everything.  How did well-padded Bilbo (a complement) stay so hidden?  Bella could still not imagine how..

It took being in the presence of the Elf King Thranduil to bring Bella to the present.  She curtsied, bowed, and then showed the knee in the King's presence, just to be sure.  What does one do when presented before the Elven King?  It would be wise to be polite.  Your kinsman is likely the last hobbit the King has encountered and he probably still isn't quite over Bilbo's trickery.  No one remembers like an elf.

For all of Bilbo's former wickedness, Bella still couldn't help but smile slightly at the thought...


My apologies for taking so long to reply.  Real-life has been stalking me like a Ringwraith.  Nothing worrying, just suddenly quite busy.

That is why this post is structured so.  I can flash back to Bella listening intently at Arphel's masterful retelling of the Tales of Arnor.  Bella (for once) will remain quiet in the presence of the King, remembering the impression a former hobbit guest made here.   I imagine the wise if stuffy King is not fooled...

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 75]
Author : Dramacydal
Date : Jul 26 '16 10:15am

http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r634/Dramacydle8/3cbeefff-0ba9-46b7-9270-bf499829fb3c_zpsxc3dnmpq.jpg[/IMG]"]As Arphel stepped forward after interupting Ellerina's spoken words. The distraught king leans forward and solemn squinted eyes, looks at Arphel speak but is indifferent to the rabblings of the Dunedain. Intent on hearing of the female elf of Rivendell, Thranduil smiles and nods in approval as he emphatically would like to hear from the Bride. 

"I know of this...this beast woman of honor. I share the same dislike of your people for the abomination has been a curse in our side for sometime. I hear of the tales that even this far throughout the realm of the Wilderlands and to the distant realm of Mirkwood. I hear of the carnage of it's path of woven destruction. Aimless corrupt of the shadow, it's mere presence has both plagued our people for sometime. 

But rest assured woman of human decent, it's presence is a mere drop in the still pond of deceitful creatures that lurk in the presence of our paths. It is but one of many corrupting influences that I deal with on a daily basis. I have come to realize that if it's death be made, then so by fate it is done. But I shall not worry so of this troubling news for I carry the burden of my peoples existence to carry out a meaningful life here. Aye, it is not the former glory of our people but it shall suffice. Aye?"

"Lindar tells me the food, rest and shelter is inadequate. This troubles me so. I am not a cruel king am I not?", looking to each one of you emphatically in the eye. Looking deep within your soul and essence of being. "I am a wise ruler; a kind man that wishes to see you rested and on your way in due time.", in a booming voice, King Thranduil speaks loudly so that everyone can hear him."People of Mirkwood, Elves of Middle-Earth. Extend their rest to two days and nights. Grant them a presence at the feast hall and shelter them in warm blankets.

 For now you have made a friend of the Elves of Mirkwood. Go here for the path you tread shall come to pass, but do not stray away from the path nor drink from the water of Mirkwood.", then a hearty laugh can be heard from King Thranduil. As you are dismissed, Lindar takes you to a place reserved for the king's company and then the feast hall to eat. Two days and nights have passed and you are ready to embark on the next leg of your journey.  

All fatigue has been lifted including the hazard from Bella. 1 Advancement Point | 1 Experience Point to all participating players

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 76]
Author : Vladim
Date : Jul 29 '16 9:26am

http://i1050.photobucket.com/albums/s419/Svorinn/The _bride_zpsh8yahesv.png

(At the Halls of the Elvenking)

The Bride’s heart sank at the Elvenking’s words, but she knew there was nothing more to be said to change Thranduil’s mind. Perhaps one day, when the dreaded Beast would venture deeper into their territory, the elves would show greater determination in hunting it down… but for now it was a problem for the Woodmen alone.

She nodded, accepted the hospitality politely, and rejoined her company soon after.

(On the road again)

On the morning of their departure, the Bride approached Arphel and the rest of her companions. Arphel’s words during their audience made her think that the Ranger had accepted the mantle of leadership earlier, but she did not know what roles were given to her or her companions. In preparation for their journey, she made an effort to learn.

’Arphel, will you be the one to lead us through the Elf-Road and Mirkwood?’ she asked the Dunedain, before suggesting how she could contribute to the journey.

’I know parts of Mirkwood, but I have never travelled through the Elf-Road before. I am also a huntress for my people at Mountain-hall, and could keep us fed throughout the journey. My hound is keen of smell and hearing, and will warn us if enemies are upon us.’

In game terms, what she is saying is that she can be Scout (has Explore 3), Hunter (has Hunting 3) and Look-out (Wo)Man (has Awareness 2 and her dog allows her to roll the Feat die twice and keep the better result). She is probably not suited to be Guide.

Endurance: 24/24 (Fatigue: 14)
Hope: 14/16
Advancement points-Personality: 1
Advancement points-General: 1
Experience: 1

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 77]
Author : Diofant
Date : Jul 30 '16 3:28am

Gramtyng chose to withhold any comment that simply danced on his tongue; quite a feat for the chatty Rohirrim who made a living from his speeches. In an uncharacteristically gesture, he stopped strumming the lute, as he always did when he did not know what to do with his hands or when he was nervous, and, replacing it behind himself, wordlessly clapped The Bride on her shoulder. He held his hand there for a brief moment before letting go; he knew the woman was far too wise to show frustration or annoyance at the elven king's dismissal of her warning, especially when Lindar had so obviously judged it to be worthy of worry. He'd had precious little information about the subject, himself; even during their travels prior to this, when they wandered Wilderland and eventually had come to Dale through Mirkwood, The Bride had avoided the subject of the Beast of Mirkwood as best she could - oh, she'd said a few things, but mostly, he'd picked it up from the other inhabitants of Mountain Hall, who explained the story to him. 

Short, tragic, brief.

He'd only asked because, at first, he wanted to know what manner of woman he'd been trusting his life to by going with her as a guide. He ended up thanking his lucky stars that something in him prevented him from speaking to her in the usual manner as he did to most women - as The Bride was certainly pretty enough - not that he'd ever discriminated against more plain-looking women. Now that he'd known her story, or at least the brief outline of it, he knew he could trust her. Seeing the king simply wave off her story was... perhaps a bit more aggravating than he'd expected. He wondered if he'd ended up gripping her shoulder a bit harder than he thought he did, as while the minstrel's mouth remained smiling, his eyes were not. 

He glanced upwards at the king, briefly, nodded, and walked over to the feast table, where his companions had already arranged themselves. He'd drank a bit, but did not savour the wine's bouquet as he thought he would; his mind had been preoccupied thinking up something else. The Beast of Mirkwood... Wilderland had many fables, some graceful, some terrifying. The company of hunters that tried to kill it at the time had failed, they said. That was all they said. He would have to study how the woodmen hunted and better himself; though their techniques had failed them then, never would it be said that Gramtyng was unwilling to learn. Odd, how the knowledge of hunting his father had beaten into him seemed to be coming in useful... Still, he reasoned, chewing in a somewhat mechanical manner: 

This beast was still a beast, no matter how intelligent, how old, and ferocious. If a beast escaped your trap, or you failed to bring down your prey, that merely meant there was a lesson to be learned for next time. What if - only if - one pitted one fable of Wilderland against another? The Steed of the Moon... Huntin' on foot was never the way of The Mark. Horse and Rider could triumph against any beast; if the Steed existed, of course. Wouldn't that be a wonder... To even touch such an animal, much less ride it. Would it be of the blood of Felarof? The way the stories describe it, it could be nothing else but a Mearas, but how old are these stories? A Mearas lives as long as a man, but the stories are even older... Another breed of Mearas?

Gramtyng thoughtfully ripped apart a piece of bread, eating it bit by bit as he considered the idea of a mounted hunt against this monstrosity. The biggest issue was the woods, of course; they would need a nice clearing where the horses could run and the beast would lose the advantage. Traps and the like would have to be employed too... But this was ultimately The Bride's quest, not his. He could only offer her his help - of course he would. Not helping a friend resolve something as painful as what she'd went through would be entirely heartless. He would have to justify it somehow, though, so as she wouldnt think too much about it; perhaps the usual thing about writing a song about its death? After all, he reasoned, raising his head with an altogether different expression alien to his face, no longer a good-natured smile but a grim snarl.

...The only place for a Beast's head was not its shoulders, but adorning a Hunter's Wall.

--------------------On the Road--------------------

"I'd sooner vote for Nori to lead us through this place, honestly; he's plenty experienced, and we all know he's prone to doubting everything most folks take for granted." He looked at Nori before continuing, waving his hand a bit: "I'm trying to say you always look before you leap - and I'd sooner trust my life to someone who doubts every bit of road, see. Maybe just my experiences with this place and travelling alone before that..." He shuddered a bit, remembering that unfortunate time when the only companion he'd had for the road was Leasere. Unfortunately, he was a horse, and was utterly deprived of a sense of humor, not to mention utterly lacking a sense for music! "No offense, Arphel. You're an amazing tracker and I dont remember anything escaping your notice, but my vote's with Nori here." He made a calming gesture. Arphel might have been effectively a block of ice in shape of a woman, but his trust of her eyes was not exaggerated. "As for little ol' me, I think I could help out with the food supplies - my father'd intended me to be a hunter, after all. Besides, not like we cant have several hunters - saving some food up for a dark day is a great idea, as I learned on that mountain pass..."

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 78]
Author : Born on the Bayeux
Date : Jul 30 '16 4:30am

http://i756.photobucket.com/albums/xx208/kookalouris/Bella_zpsoctracah.png (http://www.myth-weavers.com/showthread.php?t=363603)

Since there was no way out of Mirkwood except through, Bella was as glad as could be that the Fellowship was on its way.  She didn't want to tempt the Elvenking's hospitality any longer.  It was right that they did discuss who would be the best scout for this particular route.  All of the scouts were skilled but each knew some territories better than others.  Bella hoped this would not lead to bad feeling.

"I feel that, between us all, we will be sure in our way.  And, trust me, I have to make twice the steps." Bella laughed at that.  She was always buoyed by the company of the Fellowship.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 79]
Author : Maester1216
Date : Jul 30 '16 5:17pm

"Tell me, has Master Nori made any move to lead us? I think not. Until someone declares otherwise it is only fitting that I take charge of our Fellowship." Arphel does not deign to look back at Gramtyng but does lock eyes with The Bride when she speaks up. "Duilin and I can handle scouting, that said you and your hound would be of great aid in keeping our food supplies at a comfortable level... and your experience could prove useful in hunting this Beast you speak of. I am not from these lands and, beyond the evil endemic to all of Middle-Earth, cannot speak from experience; you claimed it to be a werewolf? I will need to look into this when I can."

Her even, calm voice did wonders to cover up Arphel's bitterness and resentment; the Elves, irrespective of their hospitality, had proven themselves cowards and rogues in the face of this evil. Such people were worthy of nothing less than contempt.

Arphel briefly turned back to The Bride, and inquisitive look on her face. "It occurs to me that I do not know your true name Bride. If we are to travel together it seems only fitting that we know each other by more than a simple title."

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 80]
Author : Old Overholt
Date : Jul 30 '16 6:27pm

THUNK!

The dull sound of an axe burying itself into the ground can be heard after Arphel makes her comment. The long handle of his axes pointing back up at him, it appears the dwarf has placed it in the ground in a fit of disgust or perhaps to prevent him from using it. Walking around the tree limb like grip of his weapon, the dwarf's face has turned a shade of red brighter than his beard. "Why you pompous, anvil-dropping, gas spore..." he starts to say, his words flowing out almost quicker than he can think of them. His eyes are locked on Arphel as the dwarf berates the woman. "... you incompetent, toe-biting tunnel worm... What gives you the right?"

The anger and frustration in the dwarf almost has him hoping off the ground as he spews forth his irritation at Arphel. He's stopped short about four or five feet from her so he can look up at her without having to crane his neck too far. "You may think you know what's best for us, but so far you've proved to be no more useful than a cave gherkin. Master Nori hasn't made any move to lead us as you've run into the thick of things like a stupid child time and again with no consideration for those with you whatsoever." The volume of his voice elevates a little. "Master Nori may not act as quick as some, but that's because he's not as foolhardy to think everything needs to be solved with the tip of a sword." Now the dwarf is outright shouting. "Master Nori isn't going to get those who choose to travel with him killed because his eyes are on the road, not up his own arse!"

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 81]
Author : Maester1216
Date : Jul 30 '16 10:16pm

Arphel's eyes do not widen. Her face betrays neither anger nor consternation at the dwarf's action as she leans down to make eye contact with him.

"Do you know war, master dwarf? The chaos of battle, spilled blood and shattered shields... and the all encompassing fear of the unknown? I do. I have spent my life defending the men and women of the kindly West from Orcs, Trolls, Goblins and all too mundane threats such as mortal brigands. People I have cared a great deal for have fallen to these foes... and the first thing that came to my mind is simply... why. Why did these brave children of the Dunedain die?"

Arphel's face takes on a severe tone. "Because it is war, master Dwarf. In war there will be loss, there will be casualties... and I will not let that fact render me incapable of making a decision. I know my duty, I am steadfast in what I must do... and I know that any sacrifice I make is one needed for the greater good of all. If you cannot accept that harsh fact... then you mark yourself as unfit for leadership." The Ranger extricates herself from the dwarf's presence and resumes walking, her eyes taking in her surroundings as she takes point.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 82]
Author : Diofant
Date : Jul 31 '16 1:31am

"I declare otherwise, then. A Fellowship doesn't need someone to bark orders. A Fellowship requires unity and agreement from its members. It is not an army, and not YOUR army besides. Nori has made no move to lead us? Let's review where you've lead us." Gramtyng counted on his fingers: "You took charge to save Baldor, but ended up murdering two men and encouraging us to kill all of them. Who dug the graves, by the way? Certainly not you; me and Bella. Why did the brave children of the Dunedain have to die? Very touching. Did you consider what the orphans of the men you killed this morning might have to say about that?"

The bard folded his hands across the chest, legs a shoulder width apart, as he glared at the Ranger: "You broke down negotiations with King Thranduil due to idle curiosity. And even now, you're being quite rude. Having you as a leader is a liability. You are not nearly diplomatic or persuasive enough to have a claim to that spot - as can be seen from our current issue. 'If you cannot accept it, too bad'? Those are the words of a tyrant, not a leader; and I can tell you plenty about tyrants. Or war, for that matter." 

The minstrel unfolded his hands, a smile gracing his lips with a smile a glimpse of which might have inspired an orc to scale a smooth granite wall. "As for my own views... before you open your mouth next, Arphel, kindly remove the stick you've up your arse: the leaves have grown out your ears; its an embarrassment. Nobody here volunteered to be YOUR sacrifices in the name of YOUR war. Nobody here has voiced their acceptance of you as their leader, so until such a time comes, it will stay that way." He had considered adding that The Bride clearly did not wish to be referred to by name, as all she gave was her... title? But the Woodsman girl could speak for herself, and did not need his defense.

He unfolded his arms and sighed, rubbing his head in a manner that suggested a headache: "Seriously, why are we having this conversation? How many times did we have each other's backs by now? The only thing we were deciding was who would guide us through Mirkwood, not even who would be leader... I'm pretty used to the ice queen act by now but damn, Arphel, lighten up already."

((As previously discussed... This is entirely in-character for Gramtyng due to his issues with orders and leaders being part of the reason he left The Mark.))

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 83]
Author : Vladim
Date : Jul 31 '16 10:55am

http://i1050.photobucket.com/albums/s419/Svorinn/The _bride_zpsh8yahesv.png

The Bride could do little but stand by helplessly as her companions squabbled. She feared for their unity, for they had not even taken a step towards the heart of Mirkwood yet, where real danger lay. Still, judging by what little she knew of Nori and Arphel, she was inclined to believe that the dwarf would make the wiser guide.

'We need not tarry with needless quarrels.' she stated, hoping that her companions would see that this was true. 

'However, Master Nori is correct. I do not indend to march to war, Arphel. I am no soldier. I know little of dwarves, but I have heard that they are all well-travelled. Master Nori's skills and experience will see us safely through Mirkwood.'

Speaking in favor of Nori, she nevertheless approached Arphel quietly and tried to give some form of answer to her previous question: 'Let us speak of the werewolf and my people's ways at a later time;' she remarked, 'we must journey by daylight, and we have wasted much time already.'

Endurance: 24/24 (Fatigue: 14)
Hope: 14/16
Advancement points-Personality: 1
Advancement points-General: 1
Experience: 1

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 84]
Author : Neopopulas
Date : Jul 31 '16 11:57am

http://i749.photobucket.com/albums/xx133/DMNeopopulas/Drawn/19aa956d-0f54-422c-8026-79529f4d4fa1_zpsyvinpius.jpg[/IMG]"]

"Are the children quite done shouting, then?" Elerrina had stayed quiet throughout the little squabble because, where she to answer honestly, she found it all very childish. She also knew that sometimes you just had to let them shout themselves out, they would grow bored of it soon enough, nothing truly lasted all that long, in the grand scheme of things.

She really didn't care who led the way through the wood, she didn't think that it would change much and were things to go poorly, it would fall to the entire group to solve the problem anyway. But so long as it did not come to blows, it probably wouldn't change anything.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 85]
Author : Old Overholt
Date : Aug 1 '16 12:21pm

When Arphel leans down to look him in the eyes, Nori takes a step forward, not backing down from the insult or the Ranger trying to exert control over the group's direction. "We're not at war," Nori barks back at Arphel simply, raising his arms on either side of him and turning slightly at his waist, indicating he's referring to the small group as opposed to any other abstract collective. "And if you think we are, then you can lead yourself off the next cliff."

When the Ranger walks off, it leaves the dwarf fuming. You could probably boil a kettle on his head judging from the redness in his face. He snorts and flubbers his lips, sounding like a bull who is ready to charge. His dander up, he turns about and grabs his axe out of the ground. Throwing it over his shoulder, he exclaims to no one in particular, "The height of arrogance that one! Thranduil is more reasonable than her. An orc can use her bones to pick their teeth for all I care."

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 86]
Author : Born on the Bayeux
Date : Aug 2 '16 5:44am

http://i756.photobucket.com/albums/xx208/kookalouris/Bella_zpsoctracah.png (http://www.myth-weavers.com/showthread.php?t=363603)

Bella hated discord and strife.  And now there were both in the Fellowship.  Why was such a need to lead others so precious in Big Folk?  Best to nip this in the bud before some words could not be unsaid.  If it were not too late already.

"Please, my brave fellows, we may not all be experienced enough to be guides but I venture that we are all experienced enough to judge it.  So why do we not vote  both on our initial guide and each contentious decision thereafter?  Not all soldiers agree with every general but, unified, an army can survive error better than the divided can." The hobbit hoped her entreaty would be entertained.

Bella considered that she might volunteer as guide.  Not for her skill in guiding but in possibly managing the storms of dissent.  Even though I do not know the way.  She thought.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 87]
Author : Dramacydal
Date : Aug 6 '16 5:01pm

http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r634/Dramacydle8/3cbeefff-0ba9-46b7-9270-bf499829fb3c_zpsxc3dnmpq.jpg[/IMG]"]

After disparaging remarks have left the Fellowship at odds with one another, to each their own took up their role for the journey across the expansive Mirkwood. The trip was around 160 miles and through here on this path anything could happen. As Nori took up the guide, the short and stout dwarf from the lonely mountains trudged through the snarly and entangled forest. 

A few of the fellowship's hearts were burdened over the bickering and fighting. It seemed that even in King Thranduils halls no one was safe from the corruption of the shadow. As your anguish seems to burden the more you travel with Arphel the scout, it seems Arphel is unflinching in these times. No fatigue nor anguish has settled in her. 

There were many camp nights up until this sixth night. A few lookouts but you could feel the weight of the blighted land upon your shoulders. Thinking over to the last six days and how the Fellowship had been unusually quiet the more the group traveled. It seemed Belgos and Baldor were lost in thought and aloof to their surroundings.  Belgo wears a talisman around his neck that he tells others that it reminds him of his lost mother who lost her life in Laketown. 

But as the others were lost in thought and small talk among themselves. The bride finds a gigantic wolf like paw print,  in the mud. It is definitely from a wolf but the beast must be the size of a bear. It is determined that the print is fresh and only a day old. It could be anywhere in the vicinity. But it could be the maddening effects of Mirkwood at play here. 

Arphel finds a nice place to camp for the night. It is an open field that Elerrina remembers the clearing as being an former feasting hall of King Thranduil before he was pushed back to where his kingdom is now. Although this area hasn't been used in many years, A sparkling stream of fresh water runs along the edge of the clearing. Upon the sixth night the camp decides to make camp. Young Belgo throws himself down on the grassy floor and announces that he is much too tired to travel any more that day.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 88]
Author : Born on the Bayeux
Date : Aug 8 '16 1:53am

http://i756.photobucket.com/albums/xx208/kookalouris/Bella_zpsoctracah.png (http://www.myth-weavers.com/showthread.php?t=363603)

So many harsh words had been spoken, Bella didn't think that other words would do more than inflame.  She stayed silent, at least as silent as a hobbit could stand to be.  The Fellowship in general also seemed to be keeping their thoughts close.

At least Mirkwood was yielding, step by step.  Although the wide lands beyond were still shielded by the gnarled trees, Bella knew they were out there and a step closer every moment.

Bella did try and interact with Belgo.  It was said that halflings were much like children, which hobbits almost always took to be a complement.  When Belgo suggested a rest, it seemed a good idea.  The Fellowship might be able to press further but the group didn't need more strain.  She did wonder about the pendant Belgo wore, seeing if the design of the talisman matched Belgo's explanation of it.


Bella is curious about the talisman, as she is curious about everything.  But she will not question or question further if she feels that would cause Belgo discomfort.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 89]
Author : Vladim
Date : Aug 8 '16 7:36am

http://i1050.photobucket.com/albums/s419/Svorinn/The _bride_zpsh8yahesv.png

As the fellowship ventured deeper and deeper into the forest, the Bride’s thoughts wandered between the Elvenking’s words and that of her quarry. Despite her efforts to learn more from her elders in Mountain Hall, she knew little of the creature, for none with knowledge was willing to speak of it. From the little she could piece together, however, she knew that it was a terrible foe, one that had claimed the lives of countless Woodmen for many years before she was born.

Preoccupied as she was, she focused on the journey, paying little attention to the petty resentments within their Company. 

When, on the noon of the sixth day, she discovers the paw-print, a single-minded sense of duty takes hold of her, although fear is not entirely absent from her heart. She (I will include a hunting roll and more information in the dice thread) and even ventures for a few yards into the surrounding forest, wishing to find more tracks, that would lead her to the monster’s lair.

At camp, she is made uneasy by her discovery, and is torn between remaining with the company and exploring the surrounding region. ’You saw it as well!’ she says to any companion that says anything to her. ’The Beast of Mirkwood is prowling here, so we had better be prepared for the worst!’ 

She says little else, Will include Awareness roll in the dice thread

As far as I understand, PCs are allowed 2 actions (dice rolls) for each day of travelling (page 162 of the Rulebook), so I will make the Hunting and Awareness rolls my actions.

I also think it fits narratively for the Bride to be standing guard, so if no-one objects, I would like to assign her as Look-out Woman from now on. We anyway lack this role covered currently.

Endurance: 22/24 (Fatigue: 14)
Hope: 14/16
Shadow points: 1
Advancement points-Personality: 1
Advancement points-General: 1
Experience: 3
Fellowship focus: Gramtyng

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 90]
Author : Maester1216
Date : Aug 8 '16 10:44pm

Arphel falls down a good three or four yards away from the Fellowship's main camp, exhaustion finally setting in after so many hours of travel. Curling up under a tree, her ears somewhat perked up to The Bride's rambling's before drifting off into a well deserved slumber.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 91]
Author : Old Overholt
Date : Aug 9 '16 2:40am

Slogging through the woods, Nori moves at a moderate pace for his short stature, occasionally stopping to orient himself or note natural landmarks. It shouldn't be hard for the others to keep up, but without having to duck and his own stamina keeping him moving, a few might find themselves winded. The dwarf sings softly to himself as he moves along, entertaining himself with jovial drinking songs from long ago.

After making camp, the dwarf pulls out his tools and begins to work on engraving the crossguard for some future sword.  

*CLINK, CLINK*

The onglette begins to carve an intricate flourish from within Thrandruil's halls - a detailed web of antlers.

*CLINK, SCREETCH*

The mention of the Beast of Mirkwood causes Nori to miss his intended mark and put a blemish on his work. Glancing up towards the Bride with a look of astonishment, he grips his punch tightly. His ears perk a little and his eyes shift, focusing along the wooded area. In a hushed tone, he asks, "Here? Now?"


[r=1,1]Experience: 3 / 13[r=2,1]Valour: 1[r=3,1]Wisdom: 2
[r=1,2]Fatigue / Endurance: 20 / 32 (32)[r=2,2]Shadow / Hope: 2 / 10 (10)
[r=1,1]Personality: -[r=2,1]Movement: 2[r=3,1]Perception: -[r=4,1]Survival: -[r=5,1]Custom: -[r=6,1]Vocation: -
[r=1,2]Fellowship: -[r=2,2]Advancement Points: -[r=3,2]Treasure: -[r=4,2]Standing: -
[r=1,1]Bonuses: +2 to all Common skill rolls (except Custom skills)

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 92]
Author : Born on the Bayeux
Date : Aug 12 '16 6:16am

http://i756.photobucket.com/albums/xx208/kookalouris/Bella_zpsoctracah.png (http://www.myth-weavers.com/showthread.php?t=363603)

Even in the Old Forest of Buckland, it was easy enough to believe that a monster could be nearby.  And that was in daylight.  Here in the dark of Mirkwood, the Bride's warning seemed almost stating the obvious, almost daring a beast to attack.

"Belgo", she said, "have you ever used a weapon?"  With his father's permission, of course, Bella would try and arm the boy.  It was a pity someone so long might have to live with such a terrible knowledge.  But better than dying without it.

"Don't be afraid." She smiled at Belgo. I wonder if I am talking to myself. "Us little folk will stick together."  


Bella would like to give Belgo a weapon, if his father allows.  The weapon would be gauged to Belgo's estimated skill and maturity.  It could just be a sling-shot.

As far as Bella is concerned, the weapon is as much a placebo for Belgo as a true weapon.  If the Fellowship couldn't stop a threat, Belgo doesn't really have a chance.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 93]
Author : Dramacydal
Date : Aug 13 '16 9:09pm

http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r634/Dramacydle8/3cbeefff-0ba9-46b7-9270-bf499829fb3c_zpsxc3dnmpq.jpg[/IMG]"]

Hearing Bella inquire about the Talisman, Belgo's interest peaked and brought about  attention from the little boy. Turning to face the little hobbit, Belgo says that the talisman was a gift from his mother, one of the last memorable moments of the boy.

"Aye little ms. my mother gifted me with this pendant right before the dragon  decimated our home of Laketown. It was one of the last  times spent with my  mother. I remember her graceful presence, the sparkle of the gem as she placed it over my head. I too smiled with her. I miss her deeply."

Then the revelry of it all seemed to make Belgo look forward at something but absolutely nothing. A thousand yard stare broken by the silent revelry with talk of arming the boy with a sling. " I'd do my best mam to help if it's not too much from the rest. I'm real handy with the sling, it's funny how you picked a weapon that I used to shoot ravens that were pecking my fathers apple stock from the small land he owned before the decimation. "

With Baldor hearing the little boy speak, one could tell how proud of his boy as he was. With an affirmative nod and then a slight gesture to find respite by the fresh water, Baldor dismounts from his pony and approaches the fresh water stream to drink. 

What seemed like mere moments as Nori inquired about the beast of Mirkwood, the more the Bride looked upon the bear like size of the wolf print, the more it resembled the matching print of the Werewolf. It seemed the more the bride thought about it the more her unique skills at hunting, the more reasoned the notion of the creature being near here recently. 

As the Bride was silent; deep in thought, some may have gathered to look upon the print. The creature had killed many woodsmen. Brother and family members of her ilk. It had also killed the only man the Bride came to love. Her soon to be husband. Upon a large hunt, her husband had yet to return to the camp. News of his passing was met with extreme sadness and grief from the Bride. She ultimately had to settle a score with the creature so that her loved one did not die in vain.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 94]
Author : Diofant
Date : Aug 15 '16 1:40am

Gramtyng returned from his hunt for extra supplied entirely unsuccessfully: His arrows flew the wrong way, he could not hunt on horseback the way he was used to, he spooked his prey (an excellent deer!)... No, nothing could be worse, he decided, mood entirely glum, but as he walked out of the woods, coming upon The Bride speaking to the other companions about her findings, he wished he'd kept his mouth shut about what could and could not be worse. His mouth twisted in a grimace, but he controlled his emotions with a bit of strain, forcibly stretching his mouth in his usual, oh-so-certain-of-himself smirk and walked up to his companions.

"Well, no luck on the hunt, sadly but eh, we've still provisions! No reason to be upset just yet. Now, who wants to hear a tale? Or a song?"

The minstrel thought to raise his friends spirits the old fashioned way; songs had a way of chasing away the darkness, even within a place like Mirkwood... No, especially within a place like Mirkwood, he corrected himself. That is where these songs were needed most; that and the unity that had been so fragile.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 95]
Author : Vladim
Date : Aug 15 '16 2:32am

http://i1050.photobucket.com/albums/s419/Svorinn/The _bride_zpsh8yahesv.png

'Not far from here, master-dwarf.' said the Bride to Nori, although she could not hear the howls of wolves from within the forest. 'I will take the first watch.' she said to her companions. 'Sleep lightly,' she added ominously, 'and with your blades by your sides.'

She was compelled to go back to where the paw-print was and try to track the Beast, yet she knew that venturing deep into Mirkwood would be foolish. The Beast had slain her loved one, who was a hunter far better than her, and all of his companions. Even the great elvenking was wary of the creature. Against such a foe, no man or woman would stand a chance. The best she could do was to protect Baldor, Belgo and her companions.

It was just at that time that Gramtyng returned empty-handed from his hunt. The bard was cheerful again, and while the Bride's mood was dark, a song or a story would distract the companions from their gloomy surroundings, especially the child. She nodded in agreement at the fellow huntsman's proposal, before offering a few words of advice.

'Sing no songs tonight, Gramtyng. The Beast of the forest is keen of hearing and does not fear Men, nor dwarves, elves or halflings. If you have tales for the telling, then tell them quietly.'

For anyone who may be interested, the real name of the Bride is Idunn, daughter of Theodwin. Currently, only Gramtyng and the people of Mountain-Hall should know her real name, but it may eventually be revealed to other companions.

Her hound's name is Uthred-this should be common knowledge to all companions.

Endurance: 20/24 (Fatigue: 14)
Hope: 14/16
Shadow points: 1
Advancement points-Personality: 1
Advancement points-General: 2
Experience: 3
Fellowship focus: Gramtyng
Fellowship role: Look-out Woman

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 96]
Author : Old Overholt
Date : Aug 15 '16 12:44pm

The dwarf seems quite unsettled by The Bride's response. Nori firms his jaw and gulps down somethign in his throat before taking a deep breath in through his broad nose. Slowly, he begins to put away his tools and works-in-progress, his eyes notably glancing towards the trees now that he's on edge.

His wares put away, Nori begins preparing a place for him to sleep near the fire. Fluffing his pack out to make a pillow of sorts, he then lays out a thick rug like material to act as bedding. Lying on top of the bedding - flat on his back - Nori brings his axe to rest by his right side, tucked neatly against his body for easy access. He folds his hands over his chest as he looks skyward, exhaling as he tries to relieve some of the stress. "Just nothing about dogs or wolves if you do," he grumbles out, seemingly towards Gramtyng. "I've got one chasing me in the darkness - don't need another chasing me in my dreams."


[r=1,1]Experience: 3 / 13[r=2,1]Valour: 1[r=3,1]Wisdom: 2
[r=1,2]Fatigue / Endurance: 20 / 32 (32)[r=2,2]Shadow / Hope: 0 / 10 (10)
[r=1,1]Personality: -[r=2,1]Movement: 2[r=3,1]Perception: -[r=4,1]Survival: -[r=5,1]Custom: -[r=6,1]Vocation: -
[r=1,2]Fellowship: -[r=2,2]Advancement Points: -[r=3,2]Treasure: -[r=4,2]Standing: -
[r=1,1]Bonuses: +2 to all Common skill rolls (except Custom skills)

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 97]
Author : Born on the Bayeux
Date : Aug 18 '16 5:09am

http://i756.photobucket.com/albums/xx208/kookalouris/Bella_zpsoctracah.png (http://www.myth-weavers.com/showthread.php?t=363603)

With the talk of Belgo's late mother, Bella was eager to offer her sling to Belgo to help add cheer.  Upon hearing of how skilled the boy was at repelling ravens, Bella spoke up, "Aye, and it is also good at dropping apples from such trees close enough to the fence."  A pause after reflection.  "I mean to say, that mischevious young hobbits, were quite skilled at such.  Other mischevious young hobbits, that is."  At least as far as Old Farmer Maggot knows, to be sure.  Bella smiled at the memory and still hoped the old farmer was doing well back at the so-far-away Shire.

Her nostalgic thoughts occupied Bella's mind enough that she barely noticed Baldor slipping off to the river.  There was a slight nagging feeling Bella couldn't identify that was quickly chased off by the promise of one of Gramtyng's tales, even if it had to be told quietly.


My bad.  I completely forgot about the Elven King's warning about not drinking from the banks of the river.  Bella would probably pull the warning out of the mathom (http://lotr.wikia.com/wiki/Mathom)-house of her mind given time but others (if any) would catch the threat before her, most likely.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 98]
Author : Diofant
Date : Aug 18 '16 5:50pm

"Very well!" Gramtyng made a show of dusting off his bedroll, sending old leaves everywhere and grinning. Flourish and style were important for setting the story, and improved the mood, after all. Taking a seat, he stretched one leg out and bent the other at the knee, resting his arm on it, while using the other to gesture and help his story along. Usually, he would have to take a more animated stance, but for the kind of story he'd planned now, this would work fine. This story had been more than likely well known to Arphel and Duilin, perhaps even Ellerina, but it was a simple tale, as Nori requested, that would perhaps allow the companions to shift their thoughts away from this place and consider the possibilities it presented. 

"The story I will tell you tonight." He started quietly, his face suddenly serious and without his usual grin. "Is that of the Amon Hen and Amon Lhaw, or the Hill of Seeing and the Hill of Hearing." He fell silent for a moment, gathering his thoughts and recalling his wanders throughout Rohan and Gondor with Aldor. "South of here, if you were to follow the Great Anduin, lies the Enchanted Wood of Lothlorien, and beyond that, Fangorn its neighbor, pass through the desolation of the Brown Lands, then the great rolling plains of Eastemnet..." He made a slow, sweeping gesture with his free hand. "If you were determined, and sailed past the hills of Emyn Muil, you would hear the endless roar of Rauros, as it empties into Nen Hithoel, and witness its cold, gleaming waters, walled in by steep grey hills." 

The minstrel recalled the chill that swept through him as he stood there atop the stair, looking over Rauros and Tol Brandir. "...Rauros is cut in two by the middle of the two hill: Tol Brandir, upon whose ground no man's foot had ever treaded. Flanking it are Amon Hen and Amon Lhaw, which I wanted to tell you of. These outposts upon the Hills of Seeing and Hearing were to mark the borders of the realm of Gondor, but they have an intriguing power to the place: One who sits upon the chair of Amon Lhaw, and concentrates on a place in Middle-Earth... In some cases, nothing will happen, and the waterfall continues its song - but sometimes, Rauros is forced silent to the observer, and they will hear something of significance in the region they'd concentrated on. It is always something that is happening right now, in a place far removed from Amon Lhaw. My mentor had heard Thengel King's command to the guard to seek him out, this way. As for Amon Hen..."

Aldor's vivid description had come to mind when he had mentioned the Hill of Seeing: The bard severely doubted that the old man had wanted to see what he saw, as it was his last vision - but mentioning this in present company was... Unwise, as dramatic as it had been. After all, Baldor's story made it clear how he would have reacted to something like that. He would just have to keep silent on that part. "...The Hill of Seeing follows a similar idea. The observer would seat themselves upon the stone throne, and gaze out across Nen Hithoel, towards the Entwash... Calling to mind the place they wanted to see, a vision would be shown, of something important that had been happening there at the time. My mentor had a ...vision at Amon Hen as well - fortune did not favor me and I did not. That is the story of the Twin Border Hills." Gramtyng fell silent at this, recalling Aldor's screams as the vision of Smaug's dragonfire, the burning Laketown and the subsequent demise of the dragon had seared his eyes. 

((OOC: Go ahead and warn Baldor, Vladim, I think Gramtyng is too immersed in his memory))

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 99]
Author : Vladim
Date : Aug 19 '16 12:35am

http://i1050.photobucket.com/albums/s419/Svorinn/The _bride_zpsh8yahesv.png

The Bride listened carefully of these strange names: Gondor, Lothlorien, Entwash… those were places she had never seen or even heard of, and she wondered how much more there was that she did not know about the world.

As Gramtyng concluded his story, she caught Baldor out of the corner of her eye, who was trying to drink from the stream. How quickly he had forgotten of king Thranduil’s words! Roused to action, the Bride quickly ran to the travelling merchant’s direction.

’FOOLISH OLD MAN!’ she cried. ’HAVE YOU FORGOTTEN KING THRANDUIL’S WARNING?’ With her shouting, she tried to capture Baldor’s attention before he had the chance to drink from the waters, that were likely poisoned or contaminated.

@Bayeux: Just a minor point, I think there has not been talk about the Bride’s background, despite Dramacydle mentioning this in his post. These are early days, so I wanted to delay revealing this info until the Bride builds stronger bonds with her companions. So please treat it as OOC information for the moment, and I will make it IC when the opportunity arises.

@ Dramacydle: I will include the appropriate common skill check in the dice thread.

Endurance: 22/24 (Fatigue: 14)
Hope: 14/16
Shadow points: 1
Advancement points-Personality: 1
Advancement points-General: 1
Experience: 3
Fellowship focus: Gramtyng

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 100]
Author : Dramacydal
Date : Aug 20 '16 3:21am

http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r634/Dramacydle8/3cbeefff-0ba9-46b7-9270-bf499829fb3c_zpsxc3dnmpq.jpg

But alas it is too late, Baldor can be seen wiping excess water from the fresh stream from off his face. "“Who are you? Where am I? Where... there is fire under the Mountain! Those fools have woken the dragon! I must find Halla! I... you’ve kidnapped me! You rogues! Where is Belgo?”

Belgo exclaims to his father who is near by, " Here I' am Father!" but Baldor sees Belgo as little boy. "No you couldn't be! Oh please help me find my son!" Then Baldor takes off through the forest of Mirkwood. He is running at top speed avoiding many of the entangling and ensnaring thickets of bushes, trees, and briars. 

Chasing him and leaving the boy with the ponies and goods, you follow Baldor through the forest of Mirkwood in pursuit of the old merchant. There is a covered trail that is smaller in size than the trail your originally on, but this one is made naturally. Coming to a clearing, there is an expansive and open area that beckons a looming Castle ahead. 

The broken ruins are among a sea of green trees hid by a mortared stone wall that is broken and dilapidated. In some parts the keep is broken and fell in on itself leaving only an L shape near by that Baldor runs into the very depths of the haunted place. Both tower and wall are full of cob webs and strands of webbing to and from each end of the perimeter.

As soon as you follow Baldor into this very place, Baldor can be seen caught in the very webbing of the Castle Ruin.  To get to Baldor you will need to climb the wall, and avoid getting caught in the webs.  The wall is thirty feet high and tricky to climb. 

Climbing the wall is a prolonged action requiring three Athletics tests. Who has followed Baldor here.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 101]
Author : Vladim
Date : Aug 20 '16 10:05am

http://i1050.photobucket.com/albums/s419/Svorinn/The _bride_zpsh8yahesv.png

’Curse you Baldor!’ said the Bride under her breath, ’you senile old fool!’ as she ran right after the merchant into the forest. She had hoped to catch him before he had the opportunity to venture too deeply, yet the old man was fast. When she saw the ruins, all covered in webs, she knew that they were in grave danger.

She pointed to Baldor’s direction to any companion who might have followed her, as she considered their options for rescuing the old fool… again.

The Bride is willing to attempt the climb, although Athletics is not what she is best at. If another companion wishes to step forward however, the Bride will remain nearby and keep her eyes and ears open for danger.

Endurance: 20/24 (Fatigue: 14)
Hope: 14/16
Shadow points: 1
Advancement points-Personality: 1
Advancement points-General: 2
Experience: 3
Fellowship focus: Gramtyng
Fellowship role: Look-out Woman

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 102]
Author : Old Overholt
Date : Aug 22 '16 1:11pm

Sitting up immediately, axe at the ready, Nori looks about - shifting his attention in the direction of The Bride's cries and shouts. Judging by the disoriented and disconnected thoughts that are uttered from his lips, it can probably be assumed that Nori was drifting into slumber shortly before the excitement. "What? Where? What's going on?" the dwarf exclaims as his eyes search the darkness, catching a glimpse of The Bride pointing in the direction Baldor had headed. Looking for the Rohirrim and the Hobbit, trying to take assessment of the camp, Nori asks from his still seated position, "Is everyone alright?"

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 103]
Author : Diofant
Date : Aug 22 '16 4:53pm

http://i.imgur.com/PL6i5Hx.pngGramtyng, son of Fastred (http://www.myth-weavers.com/showthread.php?t=364654)

It was very uncomfortable to leap to a standing position from a sitting one without some manner of go-between but at this point, there was very little choice, so he did whatever he could to get on his feet. He froze for a moment when he heard Idunn yelling at Baldor, which utterly shattered his trance-like reminiscence. He heard Baldor's small rant before he dashed off; Nori's questions caught him already running off into the the thick of the woods, off the path, and after the mad merchant. "Baldor drank from the stream - doesn't seem to remember anything - ran off, chasing him!"  

Though Baldor was off 'finding himself', that still left Belgo... And Leasere, and their supplies. Just because the man who hired them decided to act crazy, was no reason for the rest of them to go crazy: His companions were far too smart to abandon that - chances are half woul dstay behind to guard - after all, restrining an old man and dragging him back to camp should not take a lot of effort for two or three people. He was confident in his legs' ability to catch up to Baldor, and The Bride's charge had worried him, due to the recent discovery of the footprint. Who knew what would happen if she came across another... 

Following after the Woodsman huntress, he muttered to nobody in particular: "This job's just become really not worth it for the payment..." But an oath was an oath: Agreed price was one gold, and that is what it would be. So thinking, he'd nearly run into The Bride, who seemed reached a large decrepit castle, walls mostly collapsed and the rest filled with cobwebs, while Baldor ran past it all, and seemed to have gotten stuck ahead. Gramtyng gave a low whistle, inspecting the area: "Great... Well you and I both know where this is going, right?" He sighed and scratched his head in frustration. "All right well, I'm going to go try and cut him out of that mess, mind covering for me?" An oath was give... An oath had to be carried out to the end. 

Gramtyng sized up the wall, rubbing his hands together, and caught hold of a nearby outcropping of rock, muttering more complaints under his breath: 'Lousy - ugh - stonework, going to lose - ow - half by skin here and then - dammit - go swinging in the webs and their - hate this - bloody spiders I hope they're all dead - smells about as good as a dead goblin. Never going to hear the end of this, bloody merchant and bloody river and this bloody forest! One thing after another..." He seemed to have been making some progress despite his complaints, but who knew what would happen next?

Name: Gramtyng, son of Fastred

Culture: Rider of Rohan  Standard of Living: Martial
Cultural blessing: Fey Mood
  Calling: Scholar  Shadow weakness: Lure of Secrets
Specialties: Minstrelsy, Story-telling, Rhymes of Lore
Distinctive features: Fair, Reckless
 Body: 5 Heart: 5 Wits: 4
 Body (favoured): 8 Heart (favoured): 6 Wits (favoured): 6

-Common Skills-
[r=1,1]Awe ••         [r=2,1]Inspire ••     [r=3,1]Persuade  [r=4,1]Personality •
[r=1,2]Athletics •••   [r=2,2]Travel ••      [r=3,2]Stealth             [r=4,2]Movement ••
[r=1,3]Awareness • [r=2,3]Insight ••      [r=3,3]Search   [r=4,3]Perspective ••
[r=1,4]Explore •         [r=2,4]Healing  [r=3,4]Hunting ••             [r=4,4]Survival 
[r=1,5]Song ••        [r=2,5]Courtesy •  [r=3,5]Riddle •      [r=4,5]Custom •
[r=1,6]Craft •      [r=2,6]Battle •• [r=3,6]Lore •              [r=4,6]Vocation •
 
-Weapon Skills- Sword: 3 Dagger: 1 Bow: 1 -Rewards-: 
-Virtues-: Old Songs And Children Tales
-Gear- Sword damage: 5 edge: 10 injury: 16 enc: 2
 Bow damage: 5 edge: 10 injury: 14 enc: 1
 Dagger damage: 3 edge: G injury: 12 enc: 0
 Leather corslet enc: 8
 Helm enc: 6
 Shield enc: 3
 Leasere enc: -4

Endurance: 27 Starting Endurance: 27 Fatigue from Encumbrance: 16 Fatigue from Travel: 2 Total Fatigue: 18 
Hope: 13 Starting Hope: 13 Temporary Shadow: 1 Permanent Shadow: 0 Total Shadow: 0 
Armour: 2 Headgear: 4 
Parry: 4 Shield: 2 
Damage: 5 Ranged: 5 
Wisdom: 2 Valour: 1 
Experience: 0 Total Experience: 3 
Fellowship: 6 Advancement: 7 Treasure: 1 Standing: 0

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 104]
Author : Dramacydal
Date : Aug 22 '16 11:18pm

http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r634/Dramacydle8/3cbeefff-0ba9-46b7-9270-bf499829fb3c_zpsxc3dnmpq.jpg

"Curse you Baldor! You senile old fool!", exclaimed Indunn as Baldor makes his retreat through the woods and into the mid evening clearing. It seemed Nori was a bit surprised by the whole thing. "Is everyone alright?" as the Bride and Gram give chase to the old merchant. 

Gram mentions under his breath,  "This job's just become really not worth it for the payment... Great... Well you and I both know where this is going, right?  All right well, I'm going to go try and cut him out of that mess, mind covering for me?"

'Lousy - ugh - stonework, going to lose - ow - half by skin here and then - dammit - go swinging in the webs and their - hate this - bloody spiders I hope they're all dead - smells about as good as a dead goblin. Never going to hear the end of this, bloody merchant and bloody river and this bloody forest! One thing after another..."

The spiral staircase in the tower is mostly intact, Gram can easily make his way up to the top. From there, you can see a ‘bridge’ of spider-webs running from the tower to the top of the wall, but  can also see dozens of spiders nesting on the far side of the ruined keep. The spiders seem to be sleeping, but any vibration on the web will alert them.

OOC: I need three successful stealth test to avoid waking the sleeping spiders.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 105]
Author : Born on the Bayeux
Date : Aug 23 '16 3:43am

http://i756.photobucket.com/albums/xx208/kookalouris/Bella_zpsoctracah.png (http://www.myth-weavers.com/showthread.php?t=363603)

Happily lost in Gramtyng's telling of such a compelling tale, Bella was rapt in attention even in the dark of Mirkwood.  She made sure to see that young Belgo was safe but otherwise was focused on a master storyteller.  She would have to copy this tale later in her book (with Gram's permission, of course, and possibly even credit).  The presence of Baldor was at the fringes of her consciousness.

Until the commotion at the stream and Baldor's inexplicable and mad dash into the wilderness broke through the tale.  Why is the father running? Bella wondered. And then she saw the river between them and she realized with a sickening certainty.  The River!  The Elven-King even warned us against drinking from it!  Bella spoke out, "O fool, fool, fool of a Took! I have a mathom-house for a head."

But for the guilt, Bella would have simply protected Belgo while Indunn and Gram retrieved Baldor.  Given her estimate of her two companions, if Morgoth himself was waiting for Baldor. Bella imagined there would be only a slight delay as the two seperated Morgoth's head as a trophy.  But Bella felt responsible for failing both father and son.  She grabbed Belgo's hand to make sure the boy didn't rush into the darkness in a foolish attempt to rescue Baldor.  That's my foolish attempt.  "Stay with me and we will both retrieve your father."  

Bella looked for the safest place nearby for both tiny figures to ford the stream...


Bella is not thinking straight out of guilt.  Her hope is to both find Baldor and keep Belgo safe (by taking him with her).  The words of a friend can talk her into remaining at the camp with Belgo.  Otherwise, Bella will follow to the scene where Gram is trying to rescue Baldor from the webbing.

With Gram a skilled climber and already in a more advantageous position than Bella, Bella will distract any spiders with thrown rocks if that seems feasible.  Otherwise, Bella will risk herself as bait for the spiders.

Let me make whatever rolls are necessary, or if it saves time, Dramacydle, feel free to make the rolls.  I mention only that only because this is a particular complex, fast-moving scene.

For this post, and for all succeeding, I am linking Bella's portrait to her character thread for easier reference.  I am also including a tiny status bar at the bottom of Bella's post to help with bookkeeping.  If it distracts, I will remove it.


STATUS: 3 ADVANCEMENT POINTS TO SPEND

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 106]
Author : Old Overholt
Date : Aug 24 '16 12:30pm

Seeing Bella take Belgo's hand and start to eye the river, he must sense that the hobbit does not to stay put in the camp. "Bella, wait!" he grunts out as he pushes himself to his feet, using his axe as an old man might a cane. "It's bad enough those three are charging out into the woods in the dark, you don't need to be going to," the dwarf adds as he gets his bearings and then proceeds to job up towards the hobbit. Exchanging a glance between Bella and Belgo, thankfully both at or near his eye level, Nori tells them, "You needn't go alone. We should stick together, whatever the case. We don't know what else is out there."


[r=1,1]Experience: 3 / 13[r=2,1]Valour: 1[r=3,1]Wisdom: 2
[r=1,2]Fatigue / Endurance: 20 / 32 (32)[r=2,2]Shadow / Hope: 2 / 10 (10)
[r=1,1]Personality: -[r=2,1]Movement: 2[r=3,1]Perception: -[r=4,1]Survival: -[r=5,1]Custom: -[r=6,1]Vocation: -
[r=1,2]Fellowship: -[r=2,2]Advancement Points: -[r=3,2]Treasure: -[r=4,2]Standing: -
[r=1,1]Bonuses: +2 to all Common skill rolls (except Custom skills)

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 107]
Author : Vladim
Date : Aug 24 '16 10:48pm

http://i1050.photobucket.com/albums/s419/Svorinn/The _bride_zpsh8yahesv.png

The Bride looked around nervously as Gramtyng completed his climb. The quietness around her was eerie, but she feared breaking it. She had not forgotten about the werewolf.

As Gramtyng looked around from the webs down below, Idunn gestured quietly; a silent message understood by fellow hunters, meant to convey a simple question: Is everything alright? She did not intend to make any noise, but she was prepared to climb down the webs herself if Gramtyng gestured for her to come.

She is essentially ready to do whatever Gramtyng indicates is necessary.

@ Dramacydle: Let me know if I need to do any rolls and I will provide them.

@ Born / Lee: Should we assume your guys (and Belgo) are here?

Endurance: 20/24 (Fatigue: 14)
Hope: 14/16
Shadow points: 1
Advancement points-Personality: 1
Advancement points-General: 2
Experience: 3
Fellowship focus: Gramtyng
Fellowship role: Look-out Woman

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 108]
Author : Diofant
Date : Aug 25 '16 2:59am

http://i.imgur.com/PL6i5Hx.pngGramtyng, son of Fastred (http://www.myth-weavers.com/showthread.php?t=364654)

Making it up the wall and quickly but carefully running up the spiral staircase, Gramtyng had taken a good look at the situation: it was not great. Baldor was trapped below, encased in webs, spiders sleeping nearby - and one false step would alert them if these were anything like the the common spiders. He knew himself well enough to understand he didnt stand a chance at sneaking past them but... Perhaps Idunn might. He saw her signalling, shook his head to deny the idea of 'all right, and pointed down, mimicking something wrapped around himself. Then beckoned her, trying to explain his idea by more gestures: Tying something around his waist, lowering down, then hacking something with a sword, being pulled up. He then put his head on an incline on his folded hands and made a sleeping face then wiggled his fingers to mimic a spider. What an odd benefit of being a bard, making a pantomime before an audience of spiders...

Name: Gramtyng, son of Fastred

Culture: Rider of Rohan  Standard of Living: Martial
Cultural blessing: Fey Mood
  Calling: Scholar  Shadow weakness: Lure of Secrets
Specialties: Minstrelsy, Story-telling, Rhymes of Lore
Distinctive features: Fair, Reckless
 Body: 5 Heart: 5 Wits: 4
 Body (favoured): 8 Heart (favoured): 6 Wits (favoured): 6

-Common Skills-
[r=1,1]Awe ••         [r=2,1]Inspire ••     [r=3,1]Persuade  [r=4,1]Personality •
[r=1,2]Athletics •••   [r=2,2]Travel ••      [r=3,2]Stealth             [r=4,2]Movement ••
[r=1,3]Awareness • [r=2,3]Insight ••      [r=3,3]Search   [r=4,3]Perspective ••
[r=1,4]Explore •         [r=2,4]Healing  [r=3,4]Hunting ••             [r=4,4]Survival 
[r=1,5]Song ••        [r=2,5]Courtesy •  [r=3,5]Riddle •      [r=4,5]Custom •
[r=1,6]Craft •      [r=2,6]Battle •• [r=3,6]Lore •              [r=4,6]Vocation •
 
-Weapon Skills- Sword: 3 Dagger: 1 Bow: 1 -Rewards-: 
-Virtues-: Old Songs And Children Tales
-Gear- Sword damage: 5 edge: 10 injury: 16 enc: 2
 Bow damage: 5 edge: 10 injury: 14 enc: 1
 Dagger damage: 3 edge: G injury: 12 enc: 0
 Leather corslet enc: 8
 Helm enc: 6
 Shield enc: 3
 Leasere enc: -4

Endurance: 27 Starting Endurance: 27 Fatigue from Encumbrance: 16 Fatigue from Travel: 2 Total Fatigue: 18 
Hope: 13 Starting Hope: 13 Temporary Shadow: 1 Permanent Shadow: 0 Total Shadow: 0 
Armour: 2 Headgear: 4 
Parry: 4 Shield: 2 
Damage: 5 Ranged: 5 
Wisdom: 2 Valour: 1 
Experience: 0 Total Experience: 3 
Fellowship: 6 Advancement: 7 Treasure: 1 Standing: 0

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 109]
Author : Vladim
Date : Aug 25 '16 4:25am

http://i1050.photobucket.com/albums/s419/Svorinn/The _bride_zpsh8yahesv.png

Idunn understood all that Gramtyng pantomimed. His gesture for ‘spider’ would have proved challenging, were they not surrounded by webs, which made for effective clues. As she was the lighter of the two, it made sense for Gramtyng to lower her, instead of her pulling him up.

She turned to her knapsack and pulled out a long piece of rope. She first passed the rope through a sturdy-looking branch above her, before tying one end around her waist, and then passing the rope around her shoulder to make an improvised harness. Her betrothed had shown her how to do this to secure herself, when they hunted amongst the trees. She then gently lowered the other end towards Gramtyng and tried to stabilize herself as the horse-lord started lowering her towards Baldor… and the spiders, which she could now see at a distance.

This should be interesting 🙂

Endurance: 20/24 (Fatigue: 14)
Hope: 14/16
Shadow points: 1
Advancement points-Personality: 1
Advancement points-General: 2
Experience: 3
Fellowship focus: Gramtyng
Fellowship role: Look-out Woman

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 110]
Author : Born on the Bayeux
Date : Aug 25 '16 6:22am

I am putting this reply in both this thread and the OOC thread because I don't want to gum up the plot (any further).

I don't mind where Nori confronts Bella.  Bella will listen to her friend.  For tactical sense, it would probably be best if the two never left the camp unprotected.  For story sense, it might be fun that all of them are together with the spiders.

If so, assume that Bella was at fault for charging away so fast, it took Nori that far to confront her.  This is Bella's fault and she will accept the blame later without protest.

Time is against me tonight and I will post tomorrow.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 111]
Author : Born on the Bayeux
Date : Aug 29 '16 4:42pm

http://i756.photobucket.com/albums/xx208/kookalouris/Bella_zpsoctracah.png (http://www.myth-weavers.com/showthread.php?t=363603)

It was a too common misunderstanding among too many big folk that halflings were a boring, passionless people.  They cared not for dwarven gold, elvish tradition or men's love of power.  But hobbits did care about the quiet virtues, such a love of community.

And, despite their brief acquantaince, Baldor was part of the her community, her fellowship.  And he was the father of young Belgo, who Bella was quite fond of.  And Bella had failed them both.  She ran with a warg's tenacity and single-mindedness, dragging Belgo behind her.  She would put it right.

Nori's words and their good sense finally caused Bella to stop and assess her situation.  The camp!  It is unguarded.  Perhaps it had still been the right decision to charge after the other members of the Fellowship but it should have been arrived at calmly.

Bella was able to keep wits enough to not make an exceptional amount of noise, certainly not more than Baldor.  So she probably hadn't made this situation much worse by her appearance.  She could see enough of Gram and Indunn to see them particularly sacrificing speed for stealth and knew to be quiet.  The slight increase in webbing was enough to hint at what everyone was being quiet from.  Certainly, the spiders were never far from Bella's mind and nightmares.  She gestured for Belgo to be silent, hoping the young lad had better sense than she had shown up to now.

Seeing Nori, she mouthed quietly, "Thank you and forgive me, Dwarvish for 'friend'."  It was doubtful he could perceive the entire sentence under the circumstances but Bella hoped Nori got the sentiment.


My sincere and heartfelt apologies to you all.  I wrote this post four days ago and I thought I had actually posted it.  Bella will be cooperative to any plan so that I don't slow the game down any more.

I think I have done this right and chosen the best options.  Let me know what I have gotten wrong (and my apologies).

Nori's reason has finally stopped Bella.  But it took all of the way to the spiders to do it (which Bella feels bad about).  As I see it, Bella, Belgo an Nori are together but easily in the perceptible range of at least Indunn who is in contact with Gram.  Now finally quiet, Bella is watching Indunn for orders or guidance (as are likely Nori and maybe Belgo).  The normally retiring Bella is willing to fight the spiders hand-to-mandible if needed out of responsibility.


STATUS: 3 ADVANCEMENT POINTS TO SPEND

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 112]
Author : Old Overholt
Date : Aug 29 '16 5:16pm

Nori doesn't hesitate to follow behind Bella, the dwarf keeping up with the quick pace, huffing and grunting as he charges through the brush of Mirkwood, keeping the hobbit and the boy in visual sight. Both hands grip his axe, keeping it at the ready as he's unsure what kind of beasts or creatures they might encounter through the frantic race to aide The Bridge, Gramtyng, and Baldor. The dwarf has a mixture of urgency to keep up with Bella, but at the same time, an apprehension to look out on all sides of them as well as behind them. This is the second time he's charged into a situation in recent days - tempting fate/luck once again. 

Only once does Bella stop does Nori slow his sprint to a jaunt and finally a sure-footed walk. Sallying up two the child and the halfling, the dwarf looks towards the webs and the pair of fellow adventures trying to save Baldor. Reaching out, he tries to rest his hand on one of Bella's shoulders. Whether it's to calm her, reassure her, or suggest she go no further, it isn't exactly clear. But the dwarf is there and silent as the dead - his eyes searching to make sense of what is going on and what might happen.


[r=1,1]Experience: 3 / 13[r=2,1]Valour: 1[r=3,1]Wisdom: 2
[r=1,2]Fatigue / Endurance: 20 / 32 (32)[r=2,2]Shadow / Hope: 2 / 10 (10)
[r=1,1]Personality: -[r=2,1]Movement: 2[r=3,1]Perception: -[r=4,1]Survival: -[r=5,1]Custom: -[r=6,1]Vocation: -
[r=1,2]Fellowship: -[r=2,2]Advancement Points: -[r=3,2]Treasure: -[r=4,2]Standing: -
[r=1,1]Bonuses: +2 to all Common skill rolls (except Custom skills)

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 113]
Author : Diofant
Date : Aug 30 '16 12:20am

http://i.imgur.com/PL6i5Hx.pngGramtyng, son of Fastred (http://www.myth-weavers.com/showthread.php?t=364654)

After they'd finished tying Idunn securely with the rope, and she tossed it over the branch, Gramtyng took a few steps back and moved his feet far apart, steeling himself so there was no chance of dropping their Scout while she attempted the daring rescue of an insane old man. He had felt a bit sour about that - he should have been the one going down there, but for her, pulling him up along with another would likely be impossible... That and he hadn't been the best as sneaking past anything more threatening than a snoring innkeeper. Of course, in these sort of stories, the situation would have been ideally a little different; Baldor was very far from the damsel in distress of those kind of stories. Then again, the heroes of those stories rarely 'fished' for their rescue object in the way that he and Idunn had been trying right now. 

So thinking, he lowered the Woodsman girl towards the spiderwebs; doing a double-take when he noticed one of them twitch in the web. Clearly they had MUCH less time than he thought they did, and there was no real way to let Idunn know... Clenching his teeth, he shook his head and gave in to the nature of his people, channeling his Invoking Reckless for Third AP point in Movement since its an Extraordinary Success into what he had seen was the only true option: The spiders would awaken in a few moments, and several more stirred, legs twitching disgustingly as they began to rise. Then... He would just have to give them another target! Gramtyng spared another glance to the thick branch that had supported the rope and mentally begged it to hold out, as he unsheathed his sword and leapt forward, off the wall, holding onto the rope. Half-running, half-falling down the slightly inclined wall, he did not pull the rope, allowing it to slide between his fingers, other on his sword: This way, Idunn would descend rapidly, but he, being heavier, would reach the webs before her, use her as a counterweight, hang onto the rope to slow his fall enough to be safe, then allow her to be grab Baldor. Then, he would pull them up - he'd been confident in his muscles for that at least - after that he just had to climb up the wall, kick any spiders off, and escape.

In reality, things had went a little differently... He'd descended safely, though not comfortably, ended up slamming the entire spiderweb with his full weight, and awakening the spiders resting nearby. "Shame I dont have a torch..." He muttered, helping Idunn descend. To his horror, however, that was not going nearly as good as he thought as his hands started to slip from the sweat, eliciting a great deal of anger from the minstrel: allow his first real friend to get injured like that, and probably trapped in the spiderweb? "Uh-uh. Nope. NOT HAPPENING." Hissed the Rohirrim. Using 1 Hope Point to turn my Athletics failure into a Success: Athletics is not Favoured for me but Gramyng's Body is 5, and the roll was 11, so a 16 should be enough to pass it, as the TN was 12. Naturally, as The Bride is Gramyng's Fellowship Focus, the 1 Hope is refunded immediately., he made a quick gesture wrapping the the rope around his upper arm, and pulling hard: it had stopped her rapid descent, though yanked on his arm a bit painfully. Grimacing, he'd lowered her to the ground quickly, hacking at the webs around Baldor. "They were waking up, no choice, sorry. Help me out! We gotta go - fast - no telling how many are here. I'll pull you and Baldor up first, then follow. Damn! If I knew this would happen I'd have lit a torch earlier."

Name: Gramtyng, son of Fastred

Culture: Rider of Rohan  Standard of Living: Martial
Cultural blessing: Fey Mood
  Calling: Scholar  Shadow weakness: Lure of Secrets
Specialties: Minstrelsy, Story-telling, Rhymes of Lore
Distinctive features: Fair, Reckless
 Body: 5 Heart: 5 Wits: 4
 Body (favoured): 8 Heart (favoured): 6 Wits (favoured): 6

-Common Skills-
[r=1,1]Awe 封         [r=2,1]Inspire 封     [r=3,1]Persuade  [r=4,1]Personality ・
[r=1,2]Athletics 封・  [r=2,2]Travel 封      [r=3,2]Stealth             [r=4,2]Movement 封・
[r=1,3]Awareness ・[r=2,3]Insight 封      [r=3,3]Search   [r=4,3]Perspective 封
[r=1,4]Explore ・        [r=2,4]Healing  [r=3,4]Hunting 封             [r=4,4]Survival 
[r=1,5]Song 封        [r=2,5]Courtesy ・ [r=3,5]Riddle ・     [r=4,5]Custom ・
[r=1,6]Craft ・     [r=2,6]Battle 封 [r=3,6]Lore ・             [r=4,6]Vocation ・
 
-Weapon Skills- Sword: 3 Dagger: 1 Bow: 1 -Rewards-: 
-Virtues-: Old Songs And Children Tales
-Gear- Sword damage: 5 edge: 10 injury: 16 enc: 2
 Bow damage: 5 edge: 10 injury: 14 enc: 1
 Dagger damage: 3 edge: G injury: 12 enc: 0
 Leather Corslet enc: 8
 Helm enc: 6
 Shield enc: 3
 Leasere enc: -6

Endurance: 27 Starting Endurance: 27 Fatigue from Encumbrance: 14 Fatigue from Travel: 2 Total Fatigue: 16 
Hope: 13 Starting Hope: 13 Temporary Shadow: 1 Permanent Shadow: 0 Total Shadow: 0 
Armour: 2 Headgear: 4 
Parry: 4 Shield: 2 
Damage: 5 Ranged: 5 
Wisdom: 2 Valour: 1 
Experience: 0 Total Experience: 3 
Fellowship: 6 Advancement: 8 Treasure: 1 Standing: 0

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 114]
Author : Vladim
Date : Aug 30 '16 10:49am

http://i1050.photobucket.com/albums/s419/Svorinn/The _bride_zpsh8yahesv.png

The Bride was grateful to be standing on firm soil again-even if said soil was covered in spiderwebs. Quickly, she pressed her ear against Baldor’s chest to ensure that he still had a heartbeat. She also helped Gramtyng free the old man of the webs. If Baldor was still alive, it was time for him to start running again, something that he had already proven to excel at. 

She could see her companions at a distance, so she and Gramtyng could hold back the monsters while the dwarf and the rest escorted Baldor back to safety.

’I can defend myself as good as any man of Rohan!’ she said to Gramtyng stubbornly, as she prepared her buckler and readied her spear. ’Nori and the rest have followed as,’ she continued, pointing to her companions, ’they can see to the old fool’s safety!’ 

If she and Baldor survived this, the two of them would be having a little talk...

1. Do you want a Healing check for trying to figure out if Baldor is still alive?
2. Can I roll Battle for combat advantages and Spear as an opening volley?
3. Can Ellerina join us, given that she is supposedly still around? It would give Howler a chance to start posting.

Endurance: 20/24 (Fatigue: 14)
Hope: 14/16
Shadow points: 1
Advancement points-Personality: 1
Advancement points-General: 2
Experience: 3
Fellowship focus: Gramtyng
Fellowship role: Look-out Woman

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 115]
Author : Diofant
Date : Aug 30 '16 9:43pm

http://i.imgur.com/PL6i5Hx.pngGramtyng, son of Fastred (http://www.myth-weavers.com/showthread.php?t=364654)

"I don't doubt your fighting prowess, Idunn, just Baldor's ability to hobble away alone!"  Gramtyng had pulled his shield from his back as well, glancing side to see, anticipating an attack to come shortly. "He'll need help - and our friends have Belgo with them! We cant fight like this: We need to retreat, thats why I'm saying I'll buy time. But... it looks like I'm not convincing you out of a fight. Fine then!" He grinned, feeling his blood begin to boil, the old curse of the Fey Mood that he desperately struggled to hold back trying to surge to the surface again; the battle-rage of the Rohirrim when they rode against the black tides, and their only song was violence and death. "Lets not get into any heroic tales yet... We've got a mission ahead bigger than this one! Back to back, fight for a while, then escape."  He moved as he spoke, taking up a position so neither of them would be caught Gramtyng will assume Open Stance if we're fighting. If we get a Volley, he has a bow, and combat advantages should get us some bonuses I think.. "See if you can scatter a few... The less we fight the better."  

Gramtyng is suggesting that you try to scare the spiders, and that they dont commit to a long fight. If we have Ellerina, we have a better shot (forgive the pun) at this. Maybe we can even find Hepti somewhere around here and he could strike a heroic entrance if he isnt passed out in one of these cocoons around us...

Name: Gramtyng, son of Fastred

Culture: Rider of Rohan  Standard of Living: Martial
Cultural blessing: Fey Mood
  Calling: Scholar  Shadow weakness: Lure of Secrets
Specialties: Minstrelsy, Story-telling, Rhymes of Lore
Distinctive features: Fair, Reckless
 Body: 5 Heart: 5 Wits: 4
 Body (favoured): 8 Heart (favoured): 6 Wits (favoured): 6

-Common Skills-
[r=1,1]Awe ••         [r=2,1]Inspire ••     [r=3,1]Persuade  [r=4,1]Personality •
[r=1,2]Athletics •••   [r=2,2]Travel ••      [r=3,2]Stealth             [r=4,2]Movement •••
[r=1,3]Awareness • [r=2,3]Insight ••      [r=3,3]Search   [r=4,3]Perspective ••
[r=1,4]Explore •         [r=2,4]Healing  [r=3,4]Hunting ••             [r=4,4]Survival 
[r=1,5]Song ••        [r=2,5]Courtesy •  [r=3,5]Riddle •      [r=4,5]Custom •
[r=1,6]Craft •      [r=2,6]Battle •• [r=3,6]Lore •              [r=4,6]Vocation •
 
-Weapon Skills- Sword: 3 Dagger: 1 Bow: 1 -Rewards-: 
-Virtues-: Old Songs And Children Tales
-Gear- Sword damage: 5 edge: 10 injury: 16 enc: 2
 Bow damage: 5 edge: 10 injury: 14 enc: 1
 Dagger damage: 3 edge: G injury: 12 enc: 0
 Leather Corslet enc: 8
 Helm enc: 6
 Shield enc: 3
 Leasere enc: -6

Endurance: 27 Starting Endurance: 27 Fatigue from Encumbrance: 14 Fatigue from Travel: 2 Total Fatigue: 16 
Hope: 13 Starting Hope: 13 Temporary Shadow: 1 Permanent Shadow: 0 Total Shadow: 0 
Armour: 2 Headgear: 4 
Parry: 4 Shield: 2 
Damage: 5 Ranged: 5 
Wisdom: 2 Valour: 1 
Experience: 0 Total Experience: 3 
Fellowship: 6 Advancement: 8 Treasure: 1 Standing: 0

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 116]
Author : Dramacydal
Date : Aug 31 '16 1:19am

http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r634/Dramacydle8/3cbeefff-0ba9-46b7-9270-bf499829fb3c_zpsxc3dnmpq.jpg

As Baldor is raised in the nick of time, An opulent red eyed Attercop awakens to see that it's next meal is missing and senses the Fellowship a top the walled ruined bridge. As it's mandibles begin to click, it leaves at once; climbing to the top as the four begin to take up stances against the offensive spider. 

It raises it's hind legs to show the belly of the Attercop, which looks like a slimy fresh underside. It's hairy mandibles click, as a few other spiders begin to stir down below. As your Fellowship inches backward ever so slowly across the bridge. You finally take a look to the bottom and below is a thirty foot drop. It looks like anything that falls down the ravine underneath will likely die from the fall. 

The sun is setting at this point, as the orange hue of the sun begins to set in the west. Mountains and more foliage of Mirkwood is the landscape around this lone Castle Ruin. This place speaks of evil as it appears Baldor has regained sanity from drinking the fresh but magical waters of Mirkwood.  Then the Attercop lowers itself down and begins to inch quickly towards Gram, Indunn, Bella and Nori. 

Soon the bridge begins to shake at some points. Perhaps the spiders made this place home and were weightless a top the bridge, but with the four heroes and the Attercop a top it, portions of the bridge begin to giveaway. A small step here and there, one false move and the outcome could be disastrous. 

With weapons drawn, there is the chance of fleeing this place of evil or fighting this creature of the night. Known for inhabiting Mirkwood for nearly 2000 years, the spiders of Mirkwood were not a champion to the likes of Sauron nor any other faction of evil but inherently predescessors of their own birth right. 

Soon loud clicking can be heard from below. It's only a matter of time before the place is overrun with more Attercops. In mere minutes, the time will be night and with no burning torch or light of day, the creatures will bite with venomous abandon and paralyze your flight. 

OOC: For those who wish to join combat. Roll combat advantages and a battle roll with Feat Die.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 117]
Author : Vladim
Date : Aug 31 '16 8:16am

http://i1050.photobucket.com/albums/s419/Svorinn/The _bride_zpsh8yahesv.png

Idunn nodded quietly at her Rohanese companion as she pointed her spear towards the advancing spider… The arrival of Nori and Bella had put additional strain on the webs and, looking down, the Bride could see that they were all in grave danger, even if they somehow managed to fight off the legions of awakening spiders.

’Fall back!’ she said to her newly arrived companions, Nori and Bella. ’See that Baldor and his son are safe!’ she continued, shoving the recently freed merchant towards the trio of Nori, Bella and Belgo.

She turned to Gramtyng, ready to follow his lead. Although she was not keen on fighting under such precarious conditions, she was proud, and would not leave Gramtyng alone if he chose to hold back the spiders.

The Bride will follow Gramtyng’s lead: If he flees, so will she, but if he remains, she will too, assuming the Forward stance.

Dio, it is your call; if Gramtyng chooses to fight, I hereby authorize you to roll Battle for the Bride (she only has 1 dot).

Endurance: 20/24 (Fatigue: 14)
Hope: 14/16
Shadow points: 1
Advancement points-Personality: 1
Advancement points-General: 2
Experience: 3
Fellowship focus: Gramtyng
Fellowship role: Look-out Woman

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 118]
Author : CrimsonKnight16
Date : Sep 1 '16 12:00am

Hepti squinted his eyes at the old fortress, trying to make out the numbers of the enemy.  He'd like to rush in there right now and kill every last one of those eight-legged bastards, but a den of this size would be impossible to clear without help.  As the dwarf was plotting how to best get people to join his cause, he spotted movement near the castle.  He felt a strange mix of excitement and dread as he noticed a small group rushing straight into the fortress.  The group probably wasn't equipped to clear out the whole nest, but at least he had an excuse to slay a few monsters rescuing them.

The spider hunter barreled toward the fortress as fast as his short legs would take him.  After what felt like an eternity of running, he finally made it to the keep.  After frantically looking about, he found the group on a spiderweb bridge, right in front of a waking Attercop.  His blood began to boil at the sight of its grotesque, spiny limbs and unblinking eyes.  He let out a mighty battle cry and charged past the group with his axe held high, determined to bury it in his mortal foe's carapace.

1d12 2d6t

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 119]
Author : Born on the Bayeux
Date : Sep 3 '16 3:58am

http://i756.photobucket.com/albums/xx208/kookalouris/Bella_zpsoctracah.png (http://www.myth-weavers.com/showthread.php?t=363603)

Bella rested her own hand on the hand of Nori resting on her own shoulder without thinking or regret.  She was glad to have her companion here and also wroth with herself that Nori was also now in the danger she had helped bring about.  Certainly the presence of Belgo had brought out her maternal side but now her thoughts were going where this 'confirmed spinster' rarely imagined.

The momentary distraction went away and now both Indunn and Gram had pushed the dazed form of Baldor towards the three of them.  He seemed dazed at first glance but regaining his senses.  At Indunn's cry to "Fall Back!", Bella herself almost ran to the forefront to challenge the attercop directly.  But it was a narrow bridge and the two big warriors needed what little space was allowed them.  Reluctantly, Bella began to try and lead Baldor and Belgo back off the bridge.  Something snapped nearby, maybe a strand of webbing or a minor plank of the bridge.  But it was clear that Baldor and Belgo (at least) were a weighty danger to everyone else until they retreated.


Combat is tougher (but perhaps more rewarding) with each additional PC involved.  So Bella will hang back unless ordered forward by another PC.  She does realize that her, Belgo and Baldor are more of a hindrance on this bridge than a help (barring a change in the situation and/or Bella's perceptions).

Thinking ahead, Bella will see if there is webbing on this bridge.  Should the bridge break, an awful-but-better-than-death choice might be for the PCs to stick themselves to the webbing.  It's a difficult visual to convey in text but the final fight scene in Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom might help as an inspiration.

Were we playing in practically any other fantasy setting, I would likely play Bella as having a crush on brave Nori (with leecarver's approval only, of course).  But romance is almost non-existent in Tolkien.  There are very few women even mentioned and it seems that any romance is merely a plot complication in this unique genre at best.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 120]
Author : Old Overholt
Date : Sep 4 '16 4:23am

http://www.leecarver.com/rpg/nori.jpg
Hearing The Bride should in the distance, Nori immediately takes two large steps in front of Bella, letting out a grunt and gripping his axe with both hands. His toughened skin causes the handle of the axe to sing as it rubs across the wooden surface, the dwarf ready to put the weapon through whomever or whatever should come their way.

As Baldor comes stumbling towards them, he growls to the man, "For the sake of all that shines, get behind us!" He seems impatient, ready to charge head, or swing his axe, or something. But he remains there to shield the others in a defensive posture. It's only once Baldor, Belgo, and Bella are all behind him that Nori starts to urge them back the way they came. If they had sent Baldor forward, The Bridge and Gramtyng will be sure to follow, and who knows with what behind them.

... that is, until he sees Hepti speeding past him, crying out into the blackness with his weapon ready. His shoulders shrinking somewhat as he realizes what's happening, Nori shakes his head and rumbles, "That daft, venom-thirsty git!" It's said more in disappointment than anger or malice, as if the rust-haired dwarf wasn't surprised.


[r=1,1]Experience: 3 / 13[r=2,1]Valour: 1[r=3,1]Wisdom: 2
[r=1,2]Fatigue / Endurance: 20 / 32 (32)[r=2,2]Shadow / Hope: 2 / 10 (10)
[r=1,1]Personality: -[r=2,1]Movement: 2[r=3,1]Perception: -[r=4,1]Survival: -[r=5,1]Custom: -[r=6,1]Vocation: -
[r=1,2]Fellowship: -[r=2,2]Advancement Points: -[r=3,2]Treasure: -[r=4,2]Standing: -
[r=1,1]Bonuses: +2 to all Common skill rolls (except Custom skills)

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 121]
Author : Vladim
Date : Sep 7 '16 2:50am

http://i1050.photobucket.com/albums/s419/Svorinn/The _bride_zpsh8yahesv.png

The Bride had heard the stories about the spiders of Mirkwood, but had never encountered one. These foul creatures did not infest the forests near Mountain Hall, unlike the orc and goblin tribes. Upon seeing the ettercap, she instinctively took a few steps back, but when the creature suddenly lunged forward, the Bride swung her axe wildly, closing her eyes for a moment as the blow connected.

The axe met with some resistance, which the huntress felt, and when she opened her eyes a split-second later, she saw that the spider had lost one of its forelegs. It now lay on the ground, twitching in a horrific manner. The ettercap seemed to reconsider its attack for a moment, but then it lunged forward again, determined to avenge the loss of its limb…

I think it makes sense for Hepti and/or Gram to describe another blow and/or have the killing blow, since they both scored hits in the die thread.

In the heat of battle, the Bride has not noticed that the dwarf standing next to her is actually a new companion, and not Nori. She will certainly react to Hepti’s presence later!

Endurance: 20/24 (Fatigue: 14)
Hope: 14/16
Shadow points: 1
Advancement points-Personality: 1
Advancement points-General: 2
Experience: 3
Fellowship focus: Gramtyng
Fellowship role: Look-out Woman

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 122]
Author : Born on the Bayeux
Date : Sep 7 '16 5:07am

http://i756.photobucket.com/albums/xx208/kookalouris/Bella_zpsoctracah.png (http://www.myth-weavers.com/showthread.php?t=363603)

Bella tried to get the stupified Baldor to her side.  "Belgo, look after your father!" She shouted.  This way I can just look after you.  Bella thought.

But then Bella was surprised as a dwarf, another dwarf, ran past Nori and herself to help Gram and Indunn with the dying spider...

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 123]
Author : Diofant
Date : Sep 8 '16 1:14am

http://i.imgur.com/PL6i5Hx.pngGramtyng, son of Fastred (http://www.myth-weavers.com/showthread.php?t=364654)

Gramtyng swept the surroundings once more, looking for an advantageous position to stand in, but there truly wasnt much around apart from swaying spiderweb. Still, there was a bit of an area where the spiderwebs had been attached to a bit of As I understand it, thats what the great success in Athletics and Battle was for, finding and exploiting a better staging ground. Correct me if I'm wrong!, perhaps a large chunk of gate that the spiderwebs kept afloat in the abyss, or a still-standing section of the floor: He was unsure. The swaying of the ground bothered him, who spent much of his life in the saddle, very little. Spiders, on the other hand... Them he really was not a fan of. The horse-lord took up a position on slightly bent knees, shield moved to cover his stomach and thighs - he very much doubted the spider could reach as high as his face, but made a disgusted grimace when he imagined that thing leaping at him. Emboldened by Idunn's example, Gramtyng snarled and stabbed his sword between the attercop's mandibles, kicking it in the face and off his sword. As he did so, a roaring mess of beard, mail, fur, and axe barreled past him, making the bard squint a bit. "Either my ale's been spiked, or Nori's managed to split in two..." He muttered. "Oi Nori? You still in one piece? Because there's another you over here!"

Name: Gramtyng, son of Fastred

Culture: Rider of Rohan  Standard of Living: Martial
Cultural blessing: Fey Mood
  Calling: Scholar  Shadow weakness: Lure of Secrets
Specialties: Minstrelsy, Story-telling, Rhymes of Lore
Distinctive features: Fair, Reckless
 Body: 5 Heart: 5 Wits: 4
 Body (favoured): 8 Heart (favoured): 6 Wits (favoured): 6

-Common Skills-
[r=1,1]Awe ••         [r=2,1]Inspire ••     [r=3,1]Persuade  [r=4,1]Personality •
[r=1,2]Athletics •••   [r=2,2]Travel ••      [r=3,2]Stealth             [r=4,2]Movement •••
[r=1,3]Awareness • [r=2,3]Insight ••      [r=3,3]Search   [r=4,3]Perspective ••
[r=1,4]Explore •         [r=2,4]Healing  [r=3,4]Hunting ••             [r=4,4]Survival 
[r=1,5]Song ••        [r=2,5]Courtesy •  [r=3,5]Riddle •      [r=4,5]Custom •
[r=1,6]Craft •      [r=2,6]Battle •• [r=3,6]Lore •              [r=4,6]Vocation •
 
-Weapon Skills- Sword: 3 Dagger: 1 Bow: 1 -Rewards-: 
-Virtues-: Old Songs And Children Tales
-Gear- Sword damage: 5 edge: 10 injury: 16 enc: 2
 Bow damage: 5 edge: 10 injury: 14 enc: 1
 Dagger damage: 3 edge: G injury: 12 enc: 0
 Leather Corslet enc: 8
 Helm enc: 6
 Shield enc: 3
 Leasere enc: -6

Endurance: 27 Starting Endurance: 27 Fatigue from Encumbrance: 14 Fatigue from Travel: 2 Total Fatigue: 16 
Hope: 12 Starting Hope: 13 Temporary Shadow: 1 Permanent Shadow: 0 Total Shadow: 0 
Armour: 2 Headgear: 4 
Parry: 4 Shield: 2 
Damage: 5 Ranged: 5 
Wisdom: 2 Valour: 1 
Experience: 0 Total Experience: 3 
Fellowship: 6 Advancement: 9 Treasure: 1 Standing: 0

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 124]
Author : CrimsonKnight16
Date : Sep 10 '16 12:45am

Hepti charged with reckless abandon past the group of adventurers, his axe poised to taste spider flesh.  When he was but inches from the disgusting creature, he planted his feet as best he could on the unstable surface, and put all of his momentum into one mighty swing of his axe.  The heavy wedge of steel crushed its way through both legs and carapace, blowing apart the spider's body.  Grey-green goo splattered in every direction, covering both Hepti and the party behind him.  "Hooooo boy we've got a popper!" Hepti triumphantly cheered while wiping the spider's entrails from his eyes.  "Hepti Spiderbane, Son of Hopi, Slayer of Spiders, at yer service.  Ye'd best start runnin' now, I think."

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 125]
Author : Dramacydal
Date : Sep 10 '16 11:32pm

http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r634/Dramacydle8/3cbeefff-0ba9-46b7-9270-bf499829fb3c_zpsxc3dnmpq.jpg

In a matter of seconds, the Attercop was no more. A fleeting memory of impending danger as well as the notion to heed Hepti's warning and run. There were a few more spiders that seemed to waken, as their tiny red eyes awoke, their seething hatred and animosity fueled their speed of movement, inching ever closer to the Fellowship. 

The spiders crawled with a gracious presence as their spiny and narrow legs carried them closer to your immediate surroundings. One of the Attercops was central to Gramtyng and Heptl; while the other two were in close presence behind the central giant spider. 

Then the makeshift bridge began to become broken webbing, former rocky outcroppings and hewn stone that fell thirty feet to it's new home upon the bottom ravine of this former elven castle ruin. Behind the three encroaching spiders were a dozen more awaken and looking to eat. Disturbed from their slumber, they slowly climb strands of webbing, moving at lightining speed. 

With no fire nor torches to scare them away, thoughts of running back from where you came from may have crossed your mind at one time or another. Or perhaps this was what legends were made of. As Hepti joined forces, he may have been enough to equal the playing field of combat this day while assisting Indunn, Nori, Bella and Gram.

Baldor was coming to although quite visibly distraught and upset, he still was symptomatic from drinking from the fresh water of Mirkwood. Blabbering to himself, he was in the way, and everyone knew it although the rescue didn't go as planned. Gram was never really stealthful anyway, and the presence of a greater evil, perhaps the shadow could be felt very strong in this area.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 126]
Author : Vladim
Date : Sep 12 '16 4:46am

http://i1050.photobucket.com/albums/s419/Svorinn/The _bride_zpsh8yahesv.png

The Bride turned her head in disgust at the spider-gore, before finally realizing that the dwarf standing by her was not Nori. Dwarves looked similar to her, because she had not seen that many in Mountain-Hall. 

’Indeed!’ she said to the new arrival, ’and you had best start running with us, if you value your beard! We can thank each other later, when we are far away from the spider-nest!’

True to her words, she takes several steps back, while fastening her axe to her belt, and preparing her spear for a parting shot, should one be necessary.

Assuming Rearwind stand. The Bride aims to escape combat in this (2nd) round, but if two companions stay in melee, she will assist with a ranged attack. I will provide the ranged attack if necessary.

Endurance: 20/24 (Fatigue: 14)
Hope: 14/16
Shadow points: 1
Advancement points-Personality: 1
Advancement points-General: 2
Experience: 3
Fellowship focus: Gramtyng
Fellowship role: Look-out Woman

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 127]
Author : Diofant
Date : Sep 13 '16 5:12pm

http://i.imgur.com/PL6i5Hx.pngGramtyng, son of Fastred (http://www.myth-weavers.com/showthread.php?t=364654)

Gramtyng was in complete agreement with Idunn: Before, them holding off the attackers then escaping would have made sense, but the way this was going, the 'floor' wasnt going to hold. Several feverish plans ran through his mind as he contemplated severing the web where it was bound to the floor to deter the spiders from following them but... Ultimately, spiders could jump - far better than he and his companions. Now if they had fire, then they could have lit the web on fire and dissuade them from following but like THIS... "Agreed" Growled the bard, disappointedly sheathing his sword with a click. "Had we some fire, I could have stayed and delayed them, but if we dont run now, I'm afraid there's not gonna be enough of us to sing about."

Gramtyng follows the Bride in retreating to Rearward Stance. Will roll Athletics when its my turn to do so (since Rearward goes last)

Name: Gramtyng, son of Fastred

Culture: Rider of Rohan  Standard of Living: Martial
Cultural blessing: Fey Mood
  Calling: Scholar  Shadow weakness: Lure of Secrets
Specialties: Minstrelsy, Story-telling, Rhymes of Lore
Distinctive features: Fair, Reckless
 Body: 5 Heart: 5 Wits: 4
 Body (favoured): 8 Heart (favoured): 6 Wits (favoured): 6

-Common Skills-
[r=1,1]Awe ••         [r=2,1]Inspire ••     [r=3,1]Persuade  [r=4,1]Personality •
[r=1,2]Athletics •••   [r=2,2]Travel ••      [r=3,2]Stealth             [r=4,2]Movement •••
[r=1,3]Awareness • [r=2,3]Insight ••      [r=3,3]Search   [r=4,3]Perspective ••
[r=1,4]Explore •         [r=2,4]Healing  [r=3,4]Hunting ••             [r=4,4]Survival 
[r=1,5]Song ••        [r=2,5]Courtesy •  [r=3,5]Riddle •      [r=4,5]Custom •
[r=1,6]Craft •      [r=2,6]Battle •• [r=3,6]Lore •              [r=4,6]Vocation •
 
-Weapon Skills- Sword: 3 Dagger: 1 Bow: 1 -Rewards-: 
-Virtues-: Old Songs And Children Tales
-Gear- Sword damage: 5 edge: 10 injury: 16 enc: 2
 Bow damage: 5 edge: 10 injury: 14 enc: 1
 Dagger damage: 3 edge: G injury: 12 enc: 0
 Leather Corslet enc: 8
 Helm enc: 6
 Shield enc: 3
 Leasere enc: -6

Endurance: 27 Starting Endurance: 27 Fatigue from Encumbrance: 14 Fatigue from Travel: 2 Total Fatigue: 16 
Hope: 12 Starting Hope: 13 Temporary Shadow: 1 Permanent Shadow: 0 Total Shadow: 0 
Armour: 2 Headgear: 4 
Parry: 4 Shield: 2 
Damage: 5 Ranged: 5 
Wisdom: 2 Valour: 1 
Experience: 0 Total Experience: 4 
Fellowship: 6 Advancement Generic: 3 Treasure: 1 Standing: 0

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 128]
Author : Old Overholt
Date : Sep 14 '16 3:00pm

http://www.leecarver.com/rpg/nori.jpg
Nori instinctively is disdainfully closes his eyes as Hepti's axe head buries itself inside the arachnid, sending gore and goop flying in every which direction - several sizable globs landing on those of the fellowship bringing up the rear. Letting on an exasperated sigh, he slowly opens his eyes, but does not wipe the spider juice from his armor, his face, or his weapon. Instead, his neck slowly turns to look at The Bridge and Gramtyng as they suggest a quick retreat. His eyes then drop towards the crumbling bridge beneath them and the dwarf begins to back up slowly as the impending fall becomes more and more a reality.

"Easy does it your three," he says to the trio behind him: Bella, Baldor, and Belgo. "We'll all make it out of here in one piece, just no playing about," Nori warns them, now taking purposeful steps backwards. Nori positions himself like a gentle bulldozer - none of the three behind him are going to get out in front of him and risk their safety, guiding them back the way they came while Gramtyng, Hepti, and Indunn retreat from the oncoming horde of spiders. Hopefully, he can get Bella, Belgo, and Baldor off the bridge before Gramtyng, The Bridge, and his cousin add their weight to the localized, crumbling area.


[r=1,1]Experience: 3 / 13[r=2,1]Valour: 1[r=3,1]Wisdom: 2
[r=1,2]Fatigue / Endurance: 20 / 32 (32)[r=2,2]Shadow / Hope: 2 / 10 (10)
[r=1,1]Personality: -[r=2,1]Movement: 2[r=3,1]Perception: -[r=4,1]Survival: -[r=5,1]Custom: -[r=6,1]Vocation: -
[r=1,2]Fellowship: -[r=2,2]Advancement Points: -[r=3,2]Treasure: -[r=4,2]Standing: -
[r=1,1]Bonuses: +2 to all Common skill rolls (except Custom skills)

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 129]
Author : Born on the Bayeux
Date : Sep 16 '16 4:48am

http://i756.photobucket.com/albums/xx208/kookalouris/Bella_zpsoctracah.png (http://www.myth-weavers.com/showthread.php?t=363603)

"Yes.  Let's retreat.  And quickly too, please, for I have the shortest legs to retreat with."  Bella nodded to Hepti while guiding Belgo, who was guiding Baldor, off of the bridge.  There would be time for proper introductions later.  Right now, it was important that the less impressive trio merely stopped being the bridge blockage for the greater members of the Fellowship.


A short post.  Sometimes they are called for.


UPDATE:  FOUR ADVANCEMENT POINTS AND ONE EXPERIENCE POINT.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 130]
Author : Dramacydal
Date : Sep 17 '16 3:22am

http://i1032.photobucket.com/albums/a403/ScotThomas8/images_zps9kfz6v1u.jpg

With the remaining light from the sun extinguishing itself, stepping from ledge to ledge and web to ledge, the falling debris lands upon the rocky outcropping below. As chase gives way through the ruins of the former castle, there is no time at all to look behind you. Running as much as your stamina can take you, you may have figured to make it to the forest clearing and there would be a chance. 

The trees could serve as an obstacle and impede the Attercops from coming straight towards you. The position could be well defended and even your flank might be protected by one or more defenders. But needing to look behind you, you see a few of the great spiders fall from the collapsing bridge of which you barely cross in the nick of time. 

Not wanting to press your luck, each of you retreat safely back through the Mirkwood and find Ellerina and Arphel missing. It seems they have been kidnapped and taken away by someone, looking to be a group of orcs far away from the land of shadow. Even the horses, Baldor's wagon and mules are gone. Foot prints of the orcs seem to have a sizable distance away from your position as Belgo runs to his father and hugs him.

Baldor is in disbelief and still does not recognize his son. His memory is still diminished some and while he now recognizes his boy, there is no smile or relief of his survival, only the haunting memories of the loss of his wife. Belgo can sense this and seems to be at a lose. He cannot understand why his father is troubled so. Toying with his amulet that his mother had given to him, with his head held low, a lone tear falls upon his cheek. The tear is cold to the touch as he does not wipe it, for being afraid of being caught to cry.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 131]
Author : Vladim
Date : Sep 18 '16 10:18pm

http://i1050.photobucket.com/albums/s419/Svorinn/The _bride_zpsh8yahesv.png

As they retreated towards the path, the Bride simmered with anger against Baldor, who had endangered the entire fellowship with his foolish actions. She wished to give the old man a piece of her mind as soon as they got back to the campsite, but upon returning, and finding no-one behind, she knew that her anger would have to wait.

She quickly examined the tracks, piecing together the obvious information that a host of orcs had raided the camp while they dealt with the spiders. She knew that the task before her was daunting, but she was not prepare to leave any companion at the mercy of orcs, even one as arrogant as Arphel.

I will include a hunting roll in the dice thread. The Bride wishes to discover additional information through the tracks: how many orcs there are, where they are heading and, if possible, if Arphel and Ellerina were injured in the combat.

Endurance: 20/24 (Fatigue: 14)
Hope: 14/16
Shadow points: 1
Advancement points-Personality: 1
Advancement points-General: 3
Experience: 4
Fellowship focus: Gramtyng
Fellowship role: Look-out Woman

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 132]
Author : Old Overholt
Date : Sep 19 '16 3:02pm

http://www.leecarver.com/rpg/nori.jpg
Arriving at the camp, urging Bella, Belgo, and Baldor along as he does so, Nori slows his jog to a walk of bewilderment as he sees the camp veritably empty. Letting the head of his axe fall to the ground and bury itself in the soil, his mouth remains slightly ajar as he looks about, muttering in dismay, "Cursed... Blasted... Confounded..." To say he's irritated is to put it mildly.

Seeing Indunn begin to follow the tracks left, Nori looks to the treeline and shrubbery to see if anything has remained behind for them: good or bad. Maybe Ellerina or Arphel left behind some clue. Or perhaps one of the orcs left behind a trinket of some sort he could use later. Might as well salvage what you can in a bad situation, right?

As he begins to walk around the camp in a close perimeter to the three he had watched over before, Nori raises his voice, calling out to Hepti judging by the manner in which he speaks. "You certainly know when to make an entrance, /cousin/," he says, accenting the last word sharply.


21 on the search - Gandalf and 9.

[r=1,1]Experience: 3 / 13[r=2,1]Valour: 1[r=3,1]Wisdom: 2
[r=1,2]Fatigue / Endurance: 20 / 32 (32)[r=2,2]Shadow / Hope: 2 / 10 (10)
[r=1,1]Personality: -[r=2,1]Movement: 2[r=3,1]Perception: -[r=4,1]Survival: -[r=5,1]Custom: -[r=6,1]Vocation: -
[r=1,2]Fellowship: -[r=2,2]Advancement Points: -[r=3,2]Treasure: -[r=4,2]Standing: -
[r=1,1]Bonuses: +2 to all Common skill rolls (except Custom skills)[r=2,1]Fellowship Focus: Bella

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 133]
Author : Diofant
Date : Sep 20 '16 2:08pm

http://i.imgur.com/PL6i5Hx.pngGramtyng, son of Fastred (http://www.myth-weavers.com/showthread.php?t=364654)

Gramtyng's anger could not be encompassed with words alone. His hands shook, curling and uncurling into fists, as he felt around for his sword's handle, his usually calm grey eyes darkening with rage. Be wanted to lash out, to fault the idiot merchant who was paying them pocket change in return for all this trouble, and now - now their companions were kidnapped by orcs, supplies gone, and Leasere - Leasere, his last link to home, the horse that he considered practically family, who he starved to feed right; THAT horse, his faithful companion, was taken by orcs and going to be eaten by some filth?! A growl more befitting a wolf escaped from the Rohirrim as he finally looked up from the ground. "Not. Happening." Gramtyng knelt, inspecting the ground. At this point, it did not matter what would happen: He could no more leave Leasere to the orcs than he could Arphel or Ellerina. And if by chance, they were already dead... he would cut the hearts out of those that did it, and decorate their spears with their own heads, beside a pyre of their bodies, as per Rohirrim tradition. 

Besides... Even if they left everything and ran - a coward's way! - what would they do in Mirkwood with no supplies? What would this addled merchant do on the other side of Mirkwood with nothing to sell? It would have been easiest to return to Esgaroth, he had no business in the lands of the Beornings with nothing to trade. "We can't leave this be. I know its getting dark, but we need our friends back. Every minute we waste is more danger to them. Baldor needs his trinkets back... We need our supplies. So lets light some torches, and get going."

Name: Gramtyng, son of Fastred

Culture: Rider of Rohan  Standard of Living: Martial
Cultural blessing: Fey Mood
  Calling: Scholar  Shadow weakness: Lure of Secrets
Specialties: Minstrelsy, Story-telling, Rhymes of Lore
Distinctive features: Fair, Reckless
 Body: 5 Heart: 5 Wits: 4
 Body (favoured): 8 Heart (favoured): 6 Wits (favoured): 6

-Common Skills-
[r=1,1]Awe 封         [r=2,1]Inspire 封     [r=3,1]Persuade  [r=4,1]Personality ・
[r=1,2]Athletics 封・  [r=2,2]Travel 封      [r=3,2]Stealth             [r=4,2]Movement 封・
[r=1,3]Awareness ・[r=2,3]Insight 封      [r=3,3]Search   [r=4,3]Perspective 封
[r=1,4]Explore ・        [r=2,4]Healing  [r=3,4]Hunting 封             [r=4,4]Survival 
[r=1,5]Song 封        [r=2,5]Courtesy ・ [r=3,5]Riddle ・     [r=4,5]Custom ・
[r=1,6]Craft ・     [r=2,6]Battle 封 [r=3,6]Lore ・             [r=4,6]Vocation ・
 
-Weapon Skills- Sword: 3 Dagger: 1 Bow: 1 -Rewards-: 
-Virtues-: Old Songs And Children Tales
-Gear- Sword damage: 5 edge: 10 injury: 16 enc: 2
 Bow damage: 5 edge: 10 injury: 14 enc: 1
 Dagger damage: 3 edge: G injury: 12 enc: 0
 Leather Corslet enc: 8
 Helm enc: 6
 Shield enc: 3
 Leasere enc: -6

Endurance: 27 Starting Endurance: 27 Fatigue from Encumbrance: 14 Fatigue from Travel: 2 Total Fatigue: 16 
Hope: 12 Starting Hope: 13 Temporary Shadow: 1 Permanent Shadow: 0 Total Shadow: 0 
Armour: 2 Headgear: 4 
Parry: 4 Shield: 2 
Damage: 5 Ranged: 5 
Wisdom: 2 Valour: 1 
Experience: 0 Total Experience: 4 
Fellowship: 6 Advancement: 3 Treasure: 1 Standing: 0

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 134]
Author : Vladim
Date : Sep 23 '16 7:13pm

After briefly studying the tracks, the Bride determines the number and general direction of the orcs. ’A great host took them.’ she says to her companions. ’Two dozen orcs, or more. They headed deep into the forest,’ she adds, indicating the direction, ’but the tracks are fresh. They cannot be far.’

Gramtyng is unable to confirm or refute the Bride’s statement, but upon re-examining the tracks, he is inclined to agree that the Fellowship is dealing with no small number of orcs.

In the meanwhile, Nori examines the camp more closely and makes a few interesting discoveries. First, there is no blood or any indication of violence. The orcs must have overwhelmed the camp and taken his companions without a fight. The companions are most likely still alive! In addition, a set of tracks is  separated from the rest, and Nori, with his keen abilities, can tell that they belong to Arphel. Her tracks follow those of the orcs, but from a different direction, suggesting that she somehow escaped capture and is now tracking the orcs.

’Two dozen!’ says Baldor in desperation. He seems to have regained his senses, but is now overwhelmed by the task ahead of them.

’Coward!’ cries Belgo, his son, lighting a torch near the still-burning campfire. The boy seems eager to follow the company into the forest. The Bride follows his example, lighting a torch and preparing for the orc-hunt. 'We must go now!' she says.

Fellowship points 6/6

Nori receives 1 advancement point in the Perception group. The Bride receives one advancement point in the survival group.

For those venturing into the forest, please light a torch and make a test with one of the following skills. You can choose which one. 
Athletics to move fast
Stealth to move quietly
Awareness to remain alert to your surroundings
Search to keep looking for clues as you track the orcs
Alternatively, you can attempt some other action, if you want (choose some other skill that is appropriate).

Endurance: 20/24 (Fatigue: 14)
Hope: 14/16
Shadow points: 1
Advancement points-Personality: 1
Advancement points-Survival: 1
Advancement points-General: 3
Experience: 4
Fellowship focus: Gramtyng
Fellowship role: Look-out Woman

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 135]
Author : Born on the Bayeux
Date : Sep 24 '16 3:54am

http://i756.photobucket.com/albums/xx208/kookalouris/Bella_zpsoctracah.png (http://www.myth-weavers.com/showthread.php?t=363603)

During the brief interlude between fleeing spiders and hunting orcs, Bella was able to courtsey and stay, "Well met, Hepti, Slayer of Spiders.  I am Bella, er... Bracer of Girdles."

The cry of Coward! snapped Bella back to her present.  "Nay! Belgo, your father is still muddled.  I should have been realized he was drinking from the forbidden water."  Bella was trying to keep both Baldor and Belgo together but their extreme reactions to each other was making that difficult.


Vladim, if Bella is confident that Baldor and Belgo can be trusted to be left alone, she will follow the others into the forest.  Or if the two are moving into the forest with the Fellowship, Bella will follow them as well.  She would really prefer they don't go into the forest but she really doesn't want to seperate the party in this twisted wood.


STATUS:  FOUR ADVANCEMENT POINTS AND ONE EXPERIENCE POINT.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 136]
Author : Born on the Bayeux
Date : Sep 25 '16 2:27am

http://i756.photobucket.com/albums/xx208/kookalouris/Bella_zpsoctracah.png (http://www.myth-weavers.com/showthread.php?t=363603)

Belgo did not heed Bella but followed the others into the forest.  But this might be a blessing.  Being among the Fellowship was the safest place for Belgo, as much as safe could mean anything here in Mirkwood.

That left the confused Baldor but he was still just one soul to comfort and shepherd.  "Come along, Baldor, let's go follow your boy."  She spoke gently like unto a small child.  Bella and Baldor followed after the Fellowship, the little hobbit keeping her senses keen.  Even the smallest of adventurers could perceive as well as the biggest...


Bella is rolling a Feat Die and two Success Dice, one for each point in the skill of Awareness.
1d12+2d6


STATUS:  FOUR ADVANCEMENT POINTS AND ONE EXPERIENCE POINT.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 137]
Author : Old Overholt
Date : Sep 25 '16 8:09pm

http://www.leecarver.com/rpg/nori.jpg
Spotting Arphel's tracks - separate and apart from the orcs - Nori pauses, clearly surprised by the finding. A small smile creeps across his face, but remains mostly hidden beneath his beard. "Stubborn mule," he murmurs to himself before calling back to the others as they prepare their torches. "Looks like the Ranger is after them as well!"

Turning about, he briskly makes his way back to the axe he left buried in the ground, grabbing the handle as he passes it buy and lifting it out of its earthen sheath. Swinging the axe over his left shoulder, blade pointed down, he saunters towards the fire and asks, "Should we follow her? She may need our help if she's caught up with them. Or do you want to split up so we cover more ground?" Nori's eyes flicker between the others gathered, seeing the rush to move forward, but clearly looking for some consensus to be reached before they charge into the darkness.

Name: Nori, Son of Glom
Culture: Dwarves of the Lonely Mountain  Standard of Living: Rich
Cultural blessing: Redoubtable (starting Fatigue threshold is Encumbrance rating o fall items carried and then subrtracting favoured Heart score from total)
Calling: Treasure Hunter  Shadow weakness: Dragon-Sickness
Specialties: Smith-Craft, Trading, Burglary
Distinctive features: Bold, Robust
 Body: 6 Heart: 4 Wits: 4
 Body (favoured): 8 Heart (favoured): 7 Wits (favoured): 5

-Common Skills-
[r=1,1]Awe          [r=2,1]Inspire ••     [r=3,1]Persuade  [r=4,1]Personality 
[r=1,2]Athletics •   [r=2,2]Travel •••      [r=3,2]Stealth             [r=4,2]Movement •••
[r=1,3]Awareness  [r=2,3]Insight •••      [r=3,3]Search •••   [r=4,3]Perspective •
[r=1,4]Explore ••         [r=2,4]Healing  [r=3,4]Hunting              [r=4,4]Survival 
[r=1,5]Song •       [r=2,5]Courtesy   [r=3,5]Riddle •••      [r=4,5]Custom 
[r=1,6]Craft •••      [r=2,6]Battle • [r=3,6]Lore               [r=4,6]Vocation •
 

-Weapon Skills- Axes: 2 Short Sword: 1 Dagger: 1 

-Rewards-: 

-Virtues-: Stiff Neck of the Dwarves

-Gear- Long-hafted Axe damage: 5/7 edge: G injury: 18/20 enc: 3
 Dagger damage: 3 edge: G injury: 12 enc: 0
 Coat of Mail enc: 16
 Helm enc: 6 (3)
 Shield enc: 3


Endurance: 32 Starting Endurance: 32 Fatigue from Encumbrance: 20 Fatigue from Travel: 0 Total Fatigue: 20 
Hope: 10 Starting Hope: 10 Temporary Shadow: 2 Permanent Shadow: 0 Total Shadow: 2 
Armour: 4D Headgear: +4 
Parry: 4 Shield: 4 
Damage: 6 Ranged: -
Wisdom: 2 Valour: 1 
Experience: 4 Total Experience: 14 
Fellowship: ? Advancement: 3 Treasure: ? Standing: 0

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 138]
Author : Vladim
Date : Sep 27 '16 1:35am

http://i1050.photobucket.com/albums/s419/Svorinn/The _bride_zpsh8yahesv.png'We should stay together.' replies the Bride to Nori. 'Splitting up is what got us into this mess in the first place.'

She eyes Baldor angrily as she makes the final remark, leaving no doubt as to who she blames for their current situation.

@ Born: (1) I think you forgot to roll your success dice-you can still try, but if you don't by the time of my next post, I will roll them for you; (2) I think you have 4 XP just like everyone else, so you can correct your current status.

@ Lee: Despite the Bride's words, you can attempt to split up, although that may have some disadvantages (e.g. PCs might get outnumbered more easily). If you split, I will try to run to parallel narratives until the two groups rejoin. But for reasons of pacing, I would like to avoid extensive OOC back-and-forths to decide who will be in which group. 

If you want to split, just decide who is going with you, and if the other PC(s) accept(s), I will allow it. Otherwise I will avoid splitting the party.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 139]
Author : Diofant
Date : Sep 27 '16 5:40pm

http://i.imgur.com/PL6i5Hx.pngGramtyng, son of Fastred (http://www.myth-weavers.com/showthread.php?t=364654)

Gramtyng's attempt at interpreting the tracks had yielded nothing, ultimately, but it seemed like there were others who could accomplish more there - he blamed his anger for clouding his vision and forgetting the most basic of tricks Fastred had taught him about hunting and tracking. He'd realized, somewhat belatedly, that they gained a new companion, though his good mood vanished entirely, like a sun covered by a cloud. "Greetings, Hepti, son of Hopi. I am Gramtyng, a bard of the Golden Hall. Any kin of Nori is friend to us. As you can see we've got trouble - kidnapped companions, supplies, ponies... Forgive me for not being the most polite of men - but whoever had taken my companions will have hell to pay." The bard's sword howled, severing a dead branch on his way. When he heard Baldor's exclamation, he froze for a moment, before turning his head slowly and giving the merchant a look that was far from friendly, but suppressed it and continued moving as quickly as he could. He nodded at Idunn's words. "Arphel, out of all of us, is most capable at hiding herself and following a trail. She is a Ranger, after all... But Ellerina is captured - and if Leasere is dead, I will carve into the orcs the true meaning of 'Fey Mood'." The last few words were practically snarled, as Gramtyng's fingers tightened on the hilt of his sword until they were white as bone. 

Name: Gramtyng, son of Fastred

Culture: Rider of Rohan  Standard of Living: Martial
Cultural blessing: Fey Mood
  Calling: Scholar  Shadow weakness: Lure of Secrets
Specialties: Minstrelsy, Story-telling, Rhymes of Lore
Distinctive features: Fair, Reckless
 Body: 5 Heart: 5 Wits: 4
 Body (favoured): 8 Heart (favoured): 6 Wits (favoured): 6

-Common Skills-
[r=1,1]Awe ••         [r=2,1]Inspire ••     [r=3,1]Persuade  [r=4,1]Personality •
[r=1,2]Athletics •••   [r=2,2]Travel ••      [r=3,2]Stealth             [r=4,2]Movement •••
[r=1,3]Awareness • [r=2,3]Insight ••      [r=3,3]Search   [r=4,3]Perspective ••
[r=1,4]Explore •         [r=2,4]Healing  [r=3,4]Hunting ••             [r=4,4]Survival 
[r=1,5]Song ••        [r=2,5]Courtesy •  [r=3,5]Riddle •      [r=4,5]Custom •
[r=1,6]Craft •      [r=2,6]Battle •• [r=3,6]Lore •              [r=4,6]Vocation •
 
-Weapon Skills- Sword: 3 Dagger: 1 Bow: 1 -Rewards-: 
-Virtues-: Old Songs And Children Tales
-Gear- Sword damage: 5 edge: 10 injury: 16 enc: 2
 Bow damage: 5 edge: 10 injury: 14 enc: 1
 Dagger damage: 3 edge: G injury: 12 enc: 0
 Leather Corslet enc: 8
 Helm enc: 6
 Shield enc: 3
 Leasere enc: -6

Endurance: 27 Starting Endurance: 27 Fatigue from Encumbrance: 14 Fatigue from Travel: 2 Total Fatigue: 16 
Hope: 12 Starting Hope: 13 Temporary Shadow: 1 Permanent Shadow: 0 Total Shadow: 0 
Armour: 2 Headgear: 4 
Parry: 4 Shield: 2 
Damage: 5 Ranged: 5 
Wisdom: 2 Valour: 1 
Experience: 0 Total Experience: 4 
Fellowship: 6 Advancement: 3 Treasure: 1 Standing: 0

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 140]
Author : Vladim
Date : Sep 28 '16 1:03am

Having agreed to pursue the orcs, the Fellowship leaves the path yet again to delve into the forest. The orcs are many and the tracks they left obvious, making it easy to follow them into the dense growth of Mirkwood.

With Nori having pointed out Arphel’s tracks, Hunt or Search of 2 can periodically spot the ranger’s tracks, which are never too far from the main orc-tracks. The most obvious explanation is that Arphel followed the orcs, making occasional short pauses to hide behind trees or bushes.

Gramtyng is the one to lead the company, moving fast within the forest, perhaps motivated by a desire for vengeance. In this way, he urges the rest of the company to keep up, lest they become separated again. The Bride remains aware of her surroundings, while Bella is frequently distracted by the unfamiliar, disturbing sounds of the feathered creatures of the night. Many times she catches glimpses of shining eyes watching back at her, only to disappear moments later with a sound of flapping wings.

The Bride is the first to discover the signs of a fight, about half an hour after the fellowship has left the path. Broaken branches soon lead to traces of blood, and a few yards after that, the company discovers the dead bodies of two orcs. One more orc lies further still, very near a humanoid shape sitting with its back against the trunk of a large tree. It is the body of Arphel, although at a distance it is unclear if she still draws breath.

You can attempt to examine Arphel’s wounds, and if she is still alive, try to heal them (give me a healing check). However, doing so will delay you from the pursuit of the orcs: I will increase the difficulty of the following chase-related tests accordingly depending on how much time you spend with Arphel.

Endurance: 20/24 (Fatigue: 14)
Hope: 14/16
Shadow points: 1
Advancement points-Personality: 1
Advancement points-Perception: 1
Advancement points-Survival: 1
Advancement points-General: 3
Experience: 4
Fellowship focus: Gramtyng
Fellowship role: Look-out Woman

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 141]
Author : Vladim
Date : Sep 29 '16 4:19am

http://i1050.photobucket.com/albums/s419/Svorinn/The _bride_zpsh8yahesv.pngThe Bride quickly hurries to Arphel's broken body and Invoking Leech-craft 

'She still lives!' she exclaims to her companions, surprised. 'Her wounds are great and many, but she draws breath!' It is a testament to the strength of the Dunedain, for such injuries would certainly kill a man of lesser blood.

As the Bride administers first aid, Arphel awakens, but she is delirious. At first, she believes the party to be orcs, but her companions reassure her, and she eventually sees them for who they are.

'I... I have failed you all...' she says, mustering all the strength she has left in her. 'I can sense my death approaching. Go, rescue Elerrina! Do not waste your time here!'

Ok, I want to give you guys a few options:
1. You can attempt to heal Arphel, but it is a task of Severe Difficulty (Healing TN 18). Failure will result in Arphel's death.
2. You can also try healing her as a prolonged action. If you choose to do so, I need you to accumulate 3 successes at TN 16 or 4 successes at TN 14. The advantage is that failures will not result in Arphel's death (but any Eye of Sauron will). Great / Extraordinary successes will count for more. The disadvantage is that this will take more time, and thus delay you more.
3. If the companion providing the healing fails (Arphel dies), (s)he gains an automatic Shadow point. The other companions will have to roll for Corruption when they hear of Arphel's death, or if they are present. 
4. You can also leave a companion behind to act as healer. The Bride can be easily persuaded to fill this role (no check required).
5. Any companion can choose to talk to Arphel and give her hope, or explain that her death is not vain. Make a Persuade or Inspire check (TN 14) to do so. Success will reduce the TN of the corruption check; failure might increase it. In addition, the healer will get to roll for corruption if the speech is succesful.

Endurance: 20/24 (Fatigue: 14)
Hope: 14/16
Shadow points: 1
Advancement points-Personality: 1
Advancement points-Perception: 1
Advancement points-Survival: 1
Advancement points-General: 3
Experience: 4
Fellowship focus: Gramtyng
Fellowship role: Look-out Woman

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 142]
Author : Born on the Bayeux
Date : Sep 30 '16 3:12am

First, I apologize for any rolls I might have missed.  It's been a busy week in real-life but I will try and do better.

Bella, still feeling guilt (deserved or otherwise) about Baldor's river poisoning, would (in-character) want Arphel healed.  Bella has some slight talent in this skill but she certainly won't stand in the way of a better healer.

But, out-of-character, if we are losing both Arphel and the Bride, it might be better if one stayed to take care of the other.  Can a good plot reason be given for leaving the both of them behind?  As I understand it, a healer left alone with a dying patient in Mirkwood would soon lead to two bulges in an Attercop's web larder.

Whatever is decided, I am cool with whatever our shiny new GM decides... :danceorc:

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 143]
Author : Vladim
Date : Oct 3 '16 2:05am

Working together, the Bride and Bella manage to tend to Arphel's wounds with the limited resources available to them faster than they would if working individually. The Ranger remains unconcious for the duration of the treatment, sparing her the pain and agony of the process.

When all is done, Arphel has a weak, but stable, pulse and is breathing regularly, if a bit weakly. While some time has elapsed, the orc-trails are still clear. Should the fellowship move swiftly, it would still be possible to catch up with the orcs.

I left the details purposely unspecified, so that you can fill them in with your own descriptions and RP, should you want to.

While I am not following the rule book to the letter, I would like each companion to assume a fellowship role for the next post, and make the appropriate check. On a success, the advantages will be conveyed to all PCs, as specified below.

The Guide should make a Travel check at TN 16 to lead the fellowship to the orcs. Failure means that all companions gain 2 points of Fatigue. An Eye of Sauron will double this amount.

The Scout should make an Explore check at TN 16. Success means that the orcs will be encountered at Favorable ground-I will lower the TN for the Battle check for combat advantages. Failure will have no concequence, but an Eye of Sauron will raise the Battle TN.

The Huntsman should make a Hunting check at TN 16. Success meant that the Fellowship ambushes the orcs. Failure will have no concequence, but an Eye of Sauron will result in the Fellowship's ambush instead (provided that the Look-out man also failed).

The Look-out man should make an Awareness check at TN 16. Success means that the felloship remains particularly aware of their surroundings-for the Battle check that will precede combat, all companions can roll the Feat die twice and get the best result. Failure will have no concequence, but an Eye of Sauron will result in the Fellowship's ambush instead (provided that the Huntsman also failed).

I will fill empty spots with the Bride and / or Hepti if necessary. Good luck!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 144]
Author : Diofant
Date : Oct 3 '16 3:04am

I will poke him to post again... he said he would but its a little rough for him right now, I think.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 145]
Author : CrimsonKnight16
Date : Oct 3 '16 3:27am

"Well, shame as it is there's no way I'll be able to get rid o' that spider nest any time soon.  And seein' as you've been takin' such good care o' me cousin, I can help ya out with... whatever it is yer doin'."  Of course, the heavy-handed dwarf would probably do more harm than good if he tried to heal the fellowship's injured companion, but tracking was a necessary skill for any aspiring spider hunter.  "I can help ye find the orcs, and maybe put some hurt to 'em too."

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 146]
Author : Old Overholt
Date : Oct 3 '16 11:59am

http://www.leecarver.com/rpg/nori.jpg
Nori watches over the shoulders of Bella and The Bride as they go about tending to Arphel, his eyes occasionally glancing towards the woods for signs of hostility. Seeing the pain Arphel is in before she passes out along with the blood and other machinations the hobbit and Woodswoman must go through, the dwarf shakes his head in disgust and pulls back. As the minutes pass, he begins to anxiously pace a circle about the spot where they found the wounded ranger, his hands gripping his axe tightly as his pensiveness begins to build. Only when the pair seem relieved and ease back from their work does Nori draw back closer. Seeing the more relaxed Arphel breathing and the relieved look on the healers' faces, Nori lowers his axe, still holding it in his right hand, as he pats Bella on the shoulder with his free left hand and gives The Bride an appreciative nod in acknowledgment of her work. 

"We'll want to get moving now," he says grimly. "I'll carry her and set the pace so we don't lose her," Nori then adds, glancing to the nearly comatose Arphel as he eases his pack off his back and sets about attaching his axe to it. "I'll need some help getting her on my shoulders..." he murmurs as he begins tightening the leather straps.


18 on the travel/guide roll. Phew.


Name: Nori, Son of Glom
Culture: Dwarves of the Lonely Mountain  Standard of Living: Rich
Cultural blessing: Redoubtable (starting Fatigue threshold is Encumbrance rating o fall items carried and then subrtracting favoured Heart score from total)
Calling: Treasure Hunter  Shadow weakness: Dragon-Sickness
Specialties: Smith-Craft, Trading, Burglary
Distinctive features: Bold, Robust
 Body: 6 Heart: 4 Wits: 4
 Body (favoured): 8 Heart (favoured): 7 Wits (favoured): 5

-Common Skills-
[r=1,1]Awe          [r=2,1]Inspire ••     [r=3,1]Persuade  [r=4,1]Personality 
[r=1,2]Athletics •   [r=2,2]Travel •••      [r=3,2]Stealth             [r=4,2]Movement •••
[r=1,3]Awareness  [r=2,3]Insight •••      [r=3,3]Search •••   [r=4,3]Perspective •
[r=1,4]Explore ••         [r=2,4]Healing  [r=3,4]Hunting              [r=4,4]Survival 
[r=1,5]Song •       [r=2,5]Courtesy   [r=3,5]Riddle •••      [r=4,5]Custom 
[r=1,6]Craft •••      [r=2,6]Battle • [r=3,6]Lore               [r=4,6]Vocation •
 

-Weapon Skills- Axes: 2 Short Sword: 1 Dagger: 1 

-Rewards-: 

-Virtues-: Stiff Neck of the Dwarves

-Gear- Long-hafted Axe damage: 5/7 edge: G injury: 18/20 enc: 3
 Dagger damage: 3 edge: G injury: 12 enc: 0
 Coat of Mail enc: 16
 Helm enc: 6 (3)
 Shield enc: 3


Endurance: 32 Starting Endurance: 32 Fatigue from Encumbrance: 20 Fatigue from Travel: 0 Total Fatigue: 20 
Hope: 10 Starting Hope: 10 Temporary Shadow: 2 Permanent Shadow: 0 Total Shadow: 2 
Armour: 4D Headgear: +4 
Parry: 4 Shield: 4 
Damage: 6 Ranged: -
Wisdom: 2 Valour: 1 
Experience: 4 Total Experience: 14 
Fellowship: ? Advancement: 3 Treasure: ? Standing: 0

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 147]
Author : Diofant
Date : Oct 4 '16 12:08am

http://i.imgur.com/PL6i5Hx.pngGramtyng, son of Fastred (http://www.myth-weavers.com/showthread.php?t=364654)

The bard's expression, already grim, had turned completely dark upon witnessing the spectacle before them. "Didnt think I'd see you again like this, Arphel..." Gramtyng ran his palm through his hair, a gesture that for him, meant he was failing to contain himself. "We all fail, my friend." He replied to her usual heroic speech, kneeling to better hear the ranger's words: "All that matters is you're not 'just' you - and even if you've given up on yourself, it doesnt mean we have given up on you. I know it may be hard to process for a Ranger, given your upbringing, but you can rely on us. Its what makes us better than -them-." He gave a venomous look deeper into the woods. "No matter how much I may disagree with you, you're still one of us, and you're still our companion. But we will have time to discuss this later. Now, we hunt orc." The minstrel sprang to his feet and helped Nori pull Arphel on his shoulders. He was certain in Idunn's healing capabilities, as he'd experienced them himself, and Bella was incredibly resourceful, so he'd never doubted their efforts would not succeed. 

He was no healer. His job was a bit different. 

Stepping to clean spot, away from where Hepti had been attempting to do the same thing he had, Gramtyng carefully examined the patch of earth around the fallen orc body furthest from Arphel. It occured to him that they never checked if all of these orcs were actually dead - he gestured for his companions to see if they were, while he moved on, shifting aside small obstacles the dark forest presented him, sifting through the evidence of the brutes' passage carefully and patiently, so unlike his usual over-the-top performance in just about anything else he did. If there really were two dozen orcs - minus three here - plus the ponies, Leasere, and the likely struggling Ellerina... Then there should have been a pathway only a blind man could miss somewhere here; he only had to find traces of it. The odd orc that went a bit around, perhaps a scout, or an animal they spooked, traces left behind by Ellerina herself - she'd been smart enough to try and do such a thing, of course, so who know? Something had to be here. It had to be. How overjoyed Fastred would be, to see the dark spark ignite in his son's eyes, which he fostered as best he could, teaching him the hunt, trying to teach him the joy of battle... But it took something like this, to truly embrace his lineage after all.

Name: Gramtyng, son of Fastred

Culture: Rider of Rohan  Standard of Living: Martial
Cultural blessing: Fey Mood
  Calling: Scholar  Shadow weakness: Lure of Secrets
Specialties: Minstrelsy, Story-telling, Rhymes of Lore
Distinctive features: Fair, Reckless
 Body: 5 Heart: 5 Wits: 4
 Body (favoured): 8 Heart (favoured): 6 Wits (favoured): 6

-Common Skills-
[r=1,1]Awe ••         [r=2,1]Inspire ••     [r=3,1]Persuade  [r=4,1]Personality ••
[r=1,2]Athletics •••   [r=2,2]Travel ••      [r=3,2]Stealth             [r=4,2]Movement •••
[r=1,3]Awareness • [r=2,3]Insight ••      [r=3,3]Search   [r=4,3]Perspective ••
[r=1,4]Explore •         [r=2,4]Healing  [r=3,4]Hunting ••             [r=4,4]Survival •
[r=1,5]Song ••        [r=2,5]Courtesy •  [r=3,5]Riddle •      [r=4,5]Custom •
[r=1,6]Craft •      [r=2,6]Battle •• [r=3,6]Lore •              [r=4,6]Vocation •
 
-Weapon Skills- Sword: 3 Dagger: 1 Bow: 1 -Rewards-: 
-Virtues-: Old Songs And Children Tales
-Gear- Sword damage: 5 edge: 10 injury: 16 enc: 2
 Bow damage: 5 edge: 10 injury: 14 enc: 1
 Dagger damage: 3 edge: G injury: 12 enc: 0
 Leather Corslet enc: 8
 Helm enc: 6
 Shield enc: 3
 Leasere enc: -6

Endurance: 27 Starting Endurance: 27 Fatigue from Encumbrance: 14 Fatigue from Travel: 2 Total Fatigue: 16 
Hope: 12 Starting Hope: 13 Temporary Shadow: 1 Permanent Shadow: 0 Total Shadow: 0 
Armour: 2 Headgear: 4 
Parry: 4 Shield: 2 
Damage: 5 Ranged: 5 
Wisdom: 2 Valour: 1 
Experience: 0 Total Experience: 4 
Fellowship: 6 Advancement: 3 Treasure: 1 Standing: 0

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 148]
Author : Vladim
Date : Oct 4 '16 1:49am

There is no doubt that Arphel catches some of Gramtyng’s kind words, despite her dreadful state, while the two women tend to her wounds. She does not respond, for there is little strength left in her, but Gramtyng feels that his words have had considerable effect. 

The Ranger, convinced that the fellowship will not abandon her despite her own advice, stubbornly clings onto life. She endures the pain admirably for several gruelling minutes, before the ordeal becomes overwhelming, causing her to pass out.

But she breathes yet, and whatever her drive may be-vengeance, friendship, or a sense of greater purpose-she now has a reason to keep breathing.

Nori leads the company deeper into the forest, with Arphel over his shoulders. The Ranger occasionally awakens for brief intervals before lapsing into unconsciousness again. During these brief spells of consciousness, she mutters sentences that make no sense, but a few words seem to carry some meaning.

’Cut off the head…’ she whispers to Nori, ’…and the rest will scatter…’

Nori can tell that Arphel is referring to the leader of the orcs. The Ranger seems to be saying that the orc-band will break if their leader is slain.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 149]
Author : Vladim
Date : Oct 4 '16 3:54am

As Nori guides the group, Gramtyng makes sure that the companions remain on the right track. After more than an hour of travelling, Gramtyng notices that the tracks change, becoming deeper as if the orcs have started running. In the trees nearby, he sees the traces of spider-webs. The orcs must have seen them too, and must be picking up their pace to avoid encountering any Mirkwood spiders.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 150]
Author : Born on the Bayeux
Date : Oct 5 '16 5:00am

http://i756.photobucket.com/albums/xx208/kookalouris/Bella_zpsoctracah.png (http://www.myth-weavers.com/showthread.php?t=363603)

Bella had added what healing she knew to the considerable skill of the Fellowship.  It was now up to the will of the Valar but Arphel had defied many odds before.

She decided she would due her best to scout ahead.  Although Bella was not sure she would deserve the title of Scout but she might still aid in the  task...


Bella will take the role of Scout unless any other character wants it (and then she would defer to them).  I will roll her Explore roll in the Dice thread.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 151]
Author : Vladim
Date : Oct 5 '16 6:09am

With the guidance of Nori, the Fellowship travels through the forest, steadily decreasing the distance between them and the orcs. After about two hours’ worth of marching, Gramtyng determines that the orcs are near, and urges the companions to ready themselves for battle.

The dim moonlight does not fully penetrate the dense foliage, but despite the darkness, the companions can make out the shapes of the orcs. They are not far from where they are standing. More evident are their voices, for they appear to be loudly arguing amongst themselves. Thankfully, both Ellerina and  Gramtyng’s horse, Leasere, appear to be unharmed. Ellerina’s hands are tied and the rope is secured to one of the ponies. Leasere is seen close to the tallest, largest orc in the foul company-evidently the leader of the pack.

As the companions observe the orcs quarrel, they notice dark shapes moving through the tries. The shapes of slender, hairy limbs betray the presence of Mirkwood spiders. They must have been attracted by the sounds of the orcs. Before the Fellowship has any time to react, the spiders come down upon the orcs from many directions. 

These are not the sleepy spiders that captured Baldor: they are starving, and as soon as they slay an orc or a pony, they immediately begin devouring the corpse or fighting with others of their kind to protect their kill. 

Although the orcs fight back, it is clear that they are overwhelmed. This is the only opportunity the fellowship will have. They must act quickly and with determination, before the spiders slay everyone.

Thanks to Gramtyng, the Fellowship ambushes the orcs. Roll Battle vs. TN 12 for advantages. A Success gives you an additional d6, a great Success two and an Extraordinary Success 3. These extra dice can be donated to any other player and used for any common skill check during the fight (see below).

In addition, each member of the Fellowship gets two opening volleys (ranged attacks) before the enemies notice them and have time to engage them.

There are 3 tasks to be performed. Each player should choose one task. More than one player can perform the same task. In addition, players can aid by simply engaging enemies in combat. By doing so, they will lower the TNs for the companion they are aiding.
(1) Rescue Ellerina: Getting to her requires a Stealth or Athletics check (TN 14) or the slaying of two orcs. Cutting her lose requires a dagger check (TN 10). 
(2) Rescue Leasere: The orc chieftain has the horse close to him. Getting to him requires an Athletics check (TN 14) or the slaying of two orcs. Then, the chieftain must be intimidated (Awe or Battle, TN 14) or slain to recover the horse.
(3) Recover the supplies: Some of the mules and ponies have been slain. The supplies have to be quickly loaded onto the surviving pack animals by rigging an improvised harness (Craft TN 14) while another companion intimidates (Awe or Battle, TN 14) or fights off the spiders.

Any other actions or ideas are of course welcome!

Failure on certain checks is likely to involve more combat, while Eyes of Sauron may have additional negative consequences. In addition, I will be tracking the number of foes slain as well as the time taken. If you slay many, it is possible that some of the tests become easier. But if you take too much time, the spiders may still overwhelm you.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 152]
Author : Born on the Bayeux
Date : Oct 7 '16 5:36am

http://i756.photobucket.com/albums/xx208/kookalouris/Bella_zpsoctracah.png (http://www.myth-weavers.com/showthread.php?t=363603)

Battle was a madness all of its own.  Her Fellowship had ambushed the orcs with true skill.  And, to be honest, the spiders attacking the orcs also helped.  Bella loosed two volleys of arrows and it could be said that at least she didn't impale any of her comrades.

Hobbits were largely ignored by history, certainly there were no hobbit warriors of legend.  Bella decided to play on her kind's inobtrusiveness.  "I might rescue Ellerina, if that serves...?!"


A short post.  Bella has not distinguished herself in combat particularly as asset or drawback.  She is asking, in-character, my question out-of-character; Bella will volunteer to try and free Ellerina if that suits the party.  While not an expert on anything this battle requires, Stealth is still her best skill available.

In any case, Bella will defer to the Fellowship's wishes.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 153]
Author : Diofant
Date : Oct 7 '16 2:46pm

http://i.imgur.com/PL6i5Hx.pngGramtyng, son of Fastred (http://www.myth-weavers.com/showthread.php?t=364654)

The bard pulled his bow off his shoulder with practiced precision, his fingers finding the fleltching of an arrow in his hip-quiver while positioning the bow properly. He had his target - the large orc giving orders amidst the chaos of the spider ambush, who stood beside Leasere. His first arrow struck true, hitting the orc in the sholder - a shame, he aimed for the throat. The second shot impacted near the orc's feet: Gramtyng was by no means a great shot. More importantly, he had a chance to see the battlefield fully before he shot again, and whatever it was, it pushed him past any limit he knew he had. His hands shook as he took the second shot, and as it failed, he replaced the bow with an utterly calm expression on his face. 

He no longer felt concerned or fearful. His anger evaporated, swept away like smoke in the wind. He felt a chill, if it could be called that, and a kinda of mad, crazed glee. The orc, having traced the source of the arrow, gave a battlecry, which the son of Rohan answered with only laughter. It was an abnormal, whooping kind of laugh you may expect from a corpse, if a corpse could talk; the minstrel even looked like a corpse, having gone entirely white below his tan, face dissolving into a strange, stretched smile as if a snarl permanently frozen. On his face, only the eyes betrayed the sheer magnitude of the Rohorrim's rage.

"DEATH." He announced loudly, drawing his sword and shield, and charging at the orc.

Gramtyng is assuming Open Stance and going to get Leasere back. He is now in the Fey Mood, what the rohirrim call battle-madness

Name: Gramtyng, son of Fastred

Culture: Rider of Rohan  Standard of Living: Martial
Cultural blessing: Fey Mood
  Calling: Scholar  Shadow weakness: Lure of Secrets
Specialties: Minstrelsy, Story-telling, Rhymes of Lore
Distinctive features: Fair, Reckless
 Body: 5 Heart: 5 Wits: 4
 Body (favoured): 8 Heart (favoured): 6 Wits (favoured): 6

-Common Skills-
[r=1,1]Awe ••         [r=2,1]Inspire ••     [r=3,1]Persuade  [r=4,1]Personality ••
[r=1,2]Athletics •••   [r=2,2]Travel ••      [r=3,2]Stealth             [r=4,2]Movement •••
[r=1,3]Awareness • [r=2,3]Insight ••      [r=3,3]Search   [r=4,3]Perspective ••
[r=1,4]Explore •         [r=2,4]Healing  [r=3,4]Hunting ••             [r=4,4]Survival •
[r=1,5]Song ••        [r=2,5]Courtesy •  [r=3,5]Riddle •      [r=4,5]Custom •
[r=1,6]Craft •      [r=2,6]Battle •• [r=3,6]Lore •              [r=4,6]Vocation •
 
-Weapon Skills- Sword: 3 Dagger: 1 Bow: 1 -Rewards-: 
-Virtues-: Old Songs And Children Tales
-Gear- Sword damage: 5 edge: 10 injury: 16 enc: 2
 Bow damage: 5 edge: 10 injury: 14 enc: 1
 Dagger damage: 3 edge: G injury: 12 enc: 0
 Leather Corslet enc: 8
 Helm enc: 6
 Shield enc: 3
 Leasere enc: -6

Endurance: 27 Starting Endurance: 27 Fatigue from Encumbrance: 14 Fatigue from Travel: 2 Total Fatigue: 16 
Hope: 12 Starting Hope: 13 Temporary Shadow: 1 Permanent Shadow: 0 Total Shadow: 0 
Armour: 2 Headgear: 4 
Parry: 4 Shield: 2 
Damage: 5 Ranged: 5 
Wisdom: 2 Valour: 1 
Experience: 0 Total Experience: 4 
Fellowship: 6 Advancement: 3 Treasure: 1 Standing: 0

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 154]
Author : Born on the Bayeux
Date : Oct 10 '16 4:45am

http://i756.photobucket.com/albums/xx208/kookalouris/Bella_zpsoctracah.png (http://www.myth-weavers.com/showthread.php?t=363603)

Bella moved to quietly free Ellerina...


A very short post because its resolution truly depends on Bella's middlin' Stealth skill.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 155]
Author : Old Overholt
Date : Oct 10 '16 5:43pm

http://www.leecarver.com/rpg/nori.jpg
Drawing up close on the orcs admist their strife with the spiders, Nori slows to a snails pace, eventually finding a stout tree under which to prop Arphel up against. With the ranger out of harms way, the dwarf sneaks to the edge of the treeline with the rest of his companions to assess the situation unfolding before them. He's about to turn to speak with Gramtyng when he catches site of the Rohorrim already pulling back his bow and launching a shot at the creature. The decision as to what to do had been made. 

Placing his right hand on Bella's back, just between her shoulder blades, he says in a muted shouted, "Go and keep your head /lower/!" He words are not meant to be gruff or abrasive, merely to give Bella a clear answer and an ever so brief exclamation of concern. There was too much to handle and too quickly that one could not give all members of the group full consideration. His eyes turning to see their camp gear and belogings along with Baldor's wares, Nori looks for his cousin and says in that same whispered grunt as he used with Bella, "Come on, Cobweb Cranium! Keep those foul things off me and I'll get the cart hooked back up so we can get out of here. The rest know what they're doing."


18 on the travel/guide roll. Phew.


Name: Nori, Son of Glom
Culture: Dwarves of the Lonely Mountain  Standard of Living: Rich
Cultural blessing: Redoubtable (starting Fatigue threshold is Encumbrance rating o fall items carried and then subrtracting favoured Heart score from total)
Calling: Treasure Hunter  Shadow weakness: Dragon-Sickness
Specialties: Smith-Craft, Trading, Burglary
Distinctive features: Bold, Robust
 Body: 6 Heart: 4 Wits: 4
 Body (favoured): 8 Heart (favoured): 7 Wits (favoured): 5

-Common Skills-
[r=1,1]Awe          [r=2,1]Inspire ••     [r=3,1]Persuade  [r=4,1]Personality 
[r=1,2]Athletics •   [r=2,2]Travel •••      [r=3,2]Stealth             [r=4,2]Movement •••
[r=1,3]Awareness  [r=2,3]Insight •••      [r=3,3]Search •••   [r=4,3]Perspective •
[r=1,4]Explore ••         [r=2,4]Healing  [r=3,4]Hunting              [r=4,4]Survival 
[r=1,5]Song •       [r=2,5]Courtesy   [r=3,5]Riddle •••      [r=4,5]Custom 
[r=1,6]Craft •••      [r=2,6]Battle • [r=3,6]Lore               [r=4,6]Vocation •
 

-Weapon Skills- Axes: 2 Short Sword: 1 Dagger: 1 

-Rewards-: 

-Virtues-: Stiff Neck of the Dwarves

-Gear- Long-hafted Axe damage: 5/7 edge: G injury: 18/20 enc: 3
 Dagger damage: 3 edge: G injury: 12 enc: 0
 Coat of Mail enc: 16
 Helm enc: 6 (3)
 Shield enc: 3


Endurance: 32 Starting Endurance: 32 Fatigue from Encumbrance: 20 Fatigue from Travel: 0 Total Fatigue: 20 
Hope: 10 Starting Hope: 10 Temporary Shadow: 2 Permanent Shadow: 0 Total Shadow: 2 
Armour: 4D Headgear: +4 
Parry: 4 Shield: 2 
Damage: 6 Ranged: -
Wisdom: 2 Valour: 1 
Experience: 4 Total Experience: 14 
Fellowship: ? Advancement: 3 Treasure: ? Standing: 0

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 156]
Author : CrimsonKnight16
Date : Oct 10 '16 10:46pm

Today was a good day.  Had Nori's group not stumbled into the spider's nest, Hepti might be sipping on warm stew, waiting for the dawn to break so he could further scout the spiders' lair.  Now, he stood before the largest gathering of spiders he had ever seen.  His only regret was that he couldn't stay to kill them all.  Thankfully, it appeared that Nori had the supplies under control, which meant Hepti got to be the distraction.

"Come on, Cobweb Cranium! Keep those foul things off me and I'll get the cart hooked back up so we can get out of here. The rest know what they're doing."

"Thought ye'd never ask." Hepti stepped out from the bushes, ready to massacre as many of the giant arachnids as he could before Nori got his friend to safety.  He raised his axe above his head and charged at the nearest spider.  "RUE THE DAY YE CROSSED PATHS WITH HEPTI SPIDERBANE!"

1d12 3d6t

Forward stance.  9 damage from axe plus 6 from body for getting a 6.  Total 15 damage.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 157]
Author : Vladim
Date : Oct 11 '16 1:58am

http://i1050.photobucket.com/albums/s419/Svorinn/The _bride_zpsh8yahesv.pngUpon seeing the madness of the Rohirrim seize Gramtyng, Idunn rushed to his aid. Putting her safety at risk, she threw herself into the melee, narrowly avoiding the orcs and spiders that were busying themselves by attacking one another. 

Before she could know it, the two companions were at the heart of the struggle, facing the orc chieftain as he tried to coordinate his men. As Gramtyng stabbed the great orc, the Bride swang her axe against one of his henchmen.

The Bride assumes the Forward stance for the time being, and attacks an orc henchman.

LM post incoming.Endurance: 20/24 (Fatigue: 14)
Hope: 14/16
Shadow points: 1
Advancement points-Personality: 1
Advancement points-Movement: 1
Advancement points-Perception: 1
Advancement points-Survival: 1
Advancement points-Vocation: 1
Advancement points-General: 3
Experience: 4
Fellowship focus: Gramtyng
Fellowship role: Look-out Woman

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 158]
Author : Vladim
Date : Oct 11 '16 7:09am

It is reasonable to assume that all PCs can see what is going on with regards to their companions. PCs in the same group (i.e. Nori and Hepti or the Bride and Gram) can directly help one another, but helping companions not in the same group will require skill tests and/or combat as described in my previous post. This represents the need to get to them in the chaos of the fight.

Bella

As the tall-folk charged into the fray and the dwarves secured the supplies and held back the spiders, Bella moved quietly, unseen by spiders and orcs alike. For a hobbit, it was easy to sneak amidst the confusion and reach Ellerina swiftly. 

As she approached Ellerina, Bella could see that the elf was hiding, waiting for the perfect opportunity to escape into the forest. But even her keen elven eyes did not notice Bella before she made herself apparent. Upon seeing her hobbit companion, Ellerina regained hope, and the arrival of her friend postponed her plans of a running escape. 

’Bella!’ exclaimed Ellerina quietly, ’I did not think I’d see you again! Quickly, release me before the spiders notice us!’

As posted earlier, cutting Ellerina free requires a dagger check at TN 10. Remember, all PCs should have at least a single point in dagger. An alternative would be to ask Ellerina to quietly follow you away from the battlefield (both of you will need to make Stealth checks of TN 14) or make a run for it (Athletics TN 14).

Hepti and Nori

As Nori transferred the supplies, Hepti stood forward, placing himself as a barrier between the ponies and the spiders. The spiders moved hesitantly, but there were many, and their accumulating numbers quickly made them confident. 

Before long, a particularly big attercop jumped on Hepti, but the dwarf cut the spider down with one fell swoop of his great axe. The killing did not deter the remaining spiders: another attercop, seeing an opening in the stout warrior’s defences, jumped on Hepti from the side, quickly covering him in sticky webs produced from its bloated abdomen. Before Hepti could react, he felt the sharp pierce of the creature’s sting thrust against his chest. Luckily, his steel mail protected him from the worst effects of the attack… but Hepti was now trapped in the webs, and more spiders were coming…

Behind him, Nori was making great progress with the harnesses… indeed, by that point, the most important supplies were secured. Upon completing his task, Nori saw the spider stinging his cousin, while another attercop also leapt on Hepti, doubtlessly driven by great hunger.  

As stated in the dice thread, Hepti is stung for 3 damage, and is also trapped in the webs. He cannot change stances and his Parry is halved, making him easy to sting (TN 8). Hepti can keep attacking (there are now 2 attercops who will try to kill Hepti in the next round) or can attempt to break free with an Athletics check (TN 13).

Nori can join the fray, taking some heat off Hepti, or can help him by breaking/cutting the webs for him (Dagger TN 10 or Athletics TN 13). Both dwarves can see that there are more spiders than they can ever hope to defeat in the long term. Eventually they will have to run, but killing many spiders may also deter the rest.

Gramtyng and Idunn

Gramtyng charged against the orc chieftain in the heart of the battle, closely followed by Idunn. The man of Rohan thrust his blade with such speed that the great orc’s attempts to parry it with his large shield did nothing to save him. Gramtyng felt the resistance from the orc’s armour, but although he failed to wound the creature, it was clear that a few more solid blows like this one would surely fell the orc.

Angered, the mighty orc swung his great axe so viciously that, when the blow connected, it knocked all the air out of the young warrior’s lungs and nearly dropped him to the ground. A lesser orc quickly joined his leader, attempting to exploit the opportunity by quickly slashing with his knife, but Gram’s quick reaction ensured that the knife did little but bite against his shield.

A few steps away from him, the Bride dodged the knives of two orcs and smashed her axe against one’s chest, nearly felling him in one blow. The orcs, realizing that the two companions were not going to be defeated easily, redoubled their efforts.

As stated in the dice thread, Gram takes 5 damage. In the next round, the chieftain and the mook will attack Gram, while the Bride will also be attacked by the two mooks. 

Gram can clearly see the fear in the orc chieftain’s eyes, though he may actually be more worried about the spiders than the fellowship. Awe is still a valid option; in fact, because the chieftain has suffered damage, the check is now easier (TN 12).

Round: 2
Fellowship points: 6/6
Spiders slain (by party): 1
Orcs slain (by Arphel): 3
Damage to orc chieftain: 10 points

Other: A few (3-4) orcs have been injured or slain by the spiders' surprise attack.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 159]
Author : Diofant
Date : Oct 12 '16 2:51pm

http://i.imgur.com/PL6i5Hx.pngGramtyng, son of Fastred (http://www.myth-weavers.com/showthread.php?t=364654)

The hit the orc landed on him did little to reduce the anger the Rohirrim had felt, nor did it snap him out of his fey mood - but the force of it did cause him to stagger - as he did so, he got a good view of Hepti being relentlessly attacked by numerous spiders, though he had been fighting bravely and even broke their webbing. He saw with a strange clarity what it was that was necessary, an eerie calm that was not impeded by the strange defiant battle fury of the Rohirrim. More than that, it was a chance to inflict MORE casualties on his foes. Catching another attack on his shield, Gram folded his lips slightly and gave a sharp whistle, signaling Leasere. The horse, trained to understand such signals, wheeled around, attempting to resposition, but the large orc growled, yanking at its reins. But the minstrel had known this would happen, and used the momentary distraction to launch himself at the orc, booming laughter somehow overcoming the screams of orcs for a moment.

Gramtyng lashed out with no regard for himself: it was an inaccurate, almost amateur swing of the sword - from the right, making a slight loop, point aimed towards the orc's neck. He had gotten close enough to the orc to touch him, and when the orc had pulled his head back just in time form his distraction by the horse and avoided the blow - he received a shield into his face, followed by a headbutt- not any real attack but the sheer tenacity of it had been abnormal. The bard looked up at the orc seconds after he headbutted him in the chin, and moved his lips to a semblance of a bloody smile, eyes that of a being much too far gone. He did not know if it was his place face, his eyes, or the smile of a madman that did it but the orc stumbled, visibly recoiled in fear, and let got of the reigns. The orc might not have known what fey mood was, but it seemed to impression Gramtyng had given him had, that of a man that cared not if he lived or died - was enough.

It was all the bard needed. He leapt forward, using the smaller orc who bent low in his attemptnto stab him as a footstool - he ended the jump landing cleanly in the saddle; he extended his arm, shield worn on the upper half, towards the Bride, and with her help pulled the Woodswoman behind himself. Making certain she was secure, the Rohirrim clapped Leasere on the side,  and the faithful horse reared, leaping over a fallen orc and galloping in the direction of Hepti. Horses normally would leap over anything on the ground - but a trained horse, which Leasere was, could on command trample their foes. The Rohirrim laughed once more, directing the horse through the thick of things - he heard the crunch of bones and a death-scream of an orc once. Ah, it was a better day than he thought it would. For all his frenzy, he made sure to bend forward a bit, so The Bride would have an easier time - it might have been tough for her who was not used to riding. Still, this was the fastest way to take care of their issues, as much as Gramtynf desired to behead the orc leader. 

"Death!" The fierce shout once more left his mouth amidst a burst of laughter.

Name: Gramtyng, son of Fastred

Culture: Rider of Rohan  Standard of Living: Martial
Cultural blessing: Fey Mood
Calling: Scholar  Shadow weakness: Lure of Secrets
Specialties: Minstrelsy, Story-telling, Rhymes of Lore
Distinctive features: Fair, Reckless
 Body: 5 Heart: 5 Wits: 4
 Body (favoured): 8 Heart (favoured): 6 Wits (favoured): 6

-Common Skills-
[r=1,1]Awe ••         [r=2,1]Inspire ••     [r=3,1]Persuade  [r=4,1]Personality •••
[r=1,2]Athletics •••   [r=2,2]Travel ••      [r=3,2]Stealth             [r=4,2]Movement •••
[r=1,3]Awareness • [r=2,3]Insight ••      [r=3,3]Search   [r=4,3]Perspective ••
[r=1,4]Explore •         [r=2,4]Healing  [r=3,4]Hunting ••             [r=4,4]Survival •
[r=1,5]Song ••        [r=2,5]Courtesy •  [r=3,5]Riddle •      [r=4,5]Custom •
[r=1,6]Craft •      [r=2,6]Battle •• [r=3,6]Lore •              [r=4,6]Vocation •
 
-Weapon Skills- Sword: 3 Dagger: 1 Bow: 1 -Rewards-: 
-Virtues-: Old Songs And Children Tales
-Gear- Sword damage: 5 edge: 10 injury: 16 enc: 2
 Bow damage: 5 edge: 10 injury: 14 enc: 1
 Dagger damage: 3 edge: G injury: 12 enc: 0
 Leather Corslet enc: 8
 Helm enc: 6
 Shield enc: 3
 Leasere enc: -6

Endurance: 27 Starting Endurance: 27 Fatigue from Encumbrance: 14 Fatigue from Travel: 2 Total Fatigue: 16 
Hope: 12 Starting Hope: 13 Temporary Shadow: 1 Permanent Shadow: 0 Total Shadow: 0 
Armour: 2 Headgear: 4 
Parry: 4 Shield: 2 
Damage: 5 Ranged: 5 
Wisdom: 2 Valour: 1 
Experience: 0 Total Experience: 4 
Fellowship: 6 Advancement: 3 Treasure: 1 Standing: 0
[r=1,1]Horse [r=1,2]Leasere
[r=2,1]Type [r=2,2]Radhors(Palfrey)
[r=3,1]Size [r=3,2]Medium
[r=4,1]Charge Damage [r=4,2]+3
[r=5,1]Riding Modifier [r=5,2]-2
[r=6,1]Encumbrance [r=6,2]-6
[r=7,1]Price [r=7,2]2g
[r=8,1]Status [r=8,2]2

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 160]
Author : Vladim
Date : Oct 13 '16 6:11am

http://i1050.photobucket.com/albums/s419/Svorinn/The _bride_zpsh8yahesv.pngAfter dodging the sharp knives of the orcs, the Bride moved quickly, lowering her axe again against her enemy. This second blow was enough to fell the creature. Its companion quickly thrust his knife against the Woods-woman and while the blade failed to draw blood, it hit the Bride's armor with great force, bruising her flesh underneath.

Before the Bride had any time to retaliate, she saw Gramtyng gracefully climb on his horse and turn towards her direction. She extended her hand, grabbing the horse-lord's arm as he rode past her and allowing him to lift her. As the Rohirrim rode to Hepti's aid, the Bride cast her glance behind. She saw the orcs begin to scatter, following their leader's example. The spiders, noticing the retreat, were quick to fall upon their fleeing enemies, easily picking them off from behind.

Max endurance: 24 Fatigue from travelling: 4 Endurance loss from damage: 5 Encumbrance: 14
Hope: 14/16
Shadow points: 1
Advancement points-Personality: 1
Advancement points-Movement: 1
Advancement points-Perception: 1
Advancement points-Survival: 1
Advancement points-Vocation: 1
Advancement points-General: 3
Experience: 4
Fellowship focus: Gramtyng
Fellowship role: Look-out Woman   Ok, I need Nori and Hepti to declare stances, as well as Bella's action, to move us into round 3 🙂

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 161]
Author : Vladim
Date : Oct 14 '16 12:48am

With their leader fleeing, the orcs begin to scatter to all directions, choosing to run into the forest rather than face the spiders. The spiders quickly pursue them, picking them off as they run. Still, about a dozen spiders remain in the battlefield, as they are hungry for the flesh of Men and Dwarves.

Bella

Bella releases Ellerina so quickly that the elf has time to retrieve her great bow from a dead mule nearby. She releases an arrow against one of the Attercops, but misses. 'Quickly!' she says to Bella, 'We must regroup!' She then starts moving towards the rest of the Fellowship, who are fighting off the spiders.

Hepti, Nori, Gramtyng and Idunn

While Nori's attack misses the swift Attercop, Hepti does manage to break free from the webbing. The spiders attack again, but the dwarves, fighting together, are able to repell them. The other spiders notice the dwarves and join the battle.

Not far from where the dwarves stand, Gramtyng approaches the spiders from behind at full gallop...

If Nori and Hepti stay their ground, they will be facing two Attercops each in the next round. However, it is likely that they will have the help of Gramtyng and Idunn.

As all objectives have been accomplished, the company can now retreat. Due to the chaos of combat, retreat is easy, so no rolls will be required. Simply describe how your character manages to escape.   Round: 3
Fellowship points: 6/6
Spiders slain (by party): 1
Orcs slain (by Arphel): 3
Orcs slain (by party): 2
Current status: The orcs are fleeing, pursued by most of the spiders. Around 12 spiders remain on the battlefield.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 162]
Author : Born on the Bayeux
Date : Oct 14 '16 4:34am

http://i756.photobucket.com/albums/xx208/kookalouris/Bella_zpsoctracah.png (http://www.myth-weavers.com/showthread.php?t=363603)

Bella even impressed herself by how fast she freed Ellerina.  She was awed by how fast the elf recovered, grabbed her mighty bow (elves seemed born to them) and fired a bolt at the attercop.   For herself, Bella's best bet was to use her much smaller bow and skill to support her newly-freed companion.


Bella will use her bow to cover her friends.  If she needs to retrieve her bow (possibly having to put it aside for the sneaking to bound Ellerina), she will do that if reasonably safe.  She does not want to risk her ability to defend by taking spurious (given her skill) offensive shots.  Bella figures that her companions can pick off the opposition and Bella is only required if the spiders get really close.  If she can fire without compromising her defense, she will.  My apologies if I caused any delay by not rolling sooner.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 163]
Author : Diofant
Date : Oct 18 '16 9:23pm

http://i.imgur.com/PL6i5Hx.pngGramtyng, son of Fastred (http://www.myth-weavers.com/showthread.php?t=364654)

Mounted atop Leasere, sword is one hand, shield in another, the Rohirrim felt more alive than he had in a long time. Perhaps there was no escaping the curse of one's blood; this thrill and rush was something that he could never gain any other way, from anything else. Song burst from his mouth, drowned by laughter, as he ran down the orcs without a care, galloping towards where Hepti and Nori fought. Reminder: 'Leasere' just means 'Jester' in the tongue of Rohan., feeling his rider's merriment and excitement, had went faster, happy to be reunited with his rider. They had reached the other end of the clearing in mere moments, and as Gramtyng swung his sword side to side, warding off spiders, he shouted: "We are victorious! Leave the maggots to fight maggots - we have what we came for, friends! Orc, Spider, it matters not - we will outwit and outfight any!"

Name: Gramtyng, son of Fastred

Culture: Rider of Rohan  Standard of Living: Martial
Cultural blessing: Fey Mood
Calling: Scholar  Shadow weakness: Lure of Secrets
Specialties: Minstrelsy, Story-telling, Rhymes of Lore
Distinctive features: Fair, Reckless
 Body: 5 Heart: 5 Wits: 4
 Body (favoured): 8 Heart (favoured): 6 Wits (favoured): 6

-Common Skills-
[r=1,1]Awe ••         [r=2,1]Inspire ••     [r=3,1]Persuade  [r=4,1]Personality •••
[r=1,2]Athletics •••   [r=2,2]Travel ••      [r=3,2]Stealth             [r=4,2]Movement •••
[r=1,3]Awareness • [r=2,3]Insight ••      [r=3,3]Search   [r=4,3]Perspective ••
[r=1,4]Explore •         [r=2,4]Healing  [r=3,4]Hunting ••             [r=4,4]Survival •
[r=1,5]Song ••        [r=2,5]Courtesy •  [r=3,5]Riddle •      [r=4,5]Custom •
[r=1,6]Craft •      [r=2,6]Battle •• [r=3,6]Lore •              [r=4,6]Vocation •
 
-Weapon Skills- Sword: 3 Dagger: 1 Bow: 1 -Rewards-: 
-Virtues-: Old Songs And Children Tales
-Gear- Sword damage: 5 edge: 10 injury: 16 enc: 2
 Bow damage: 5 edge: 10 injury: 14 enc: 1
 Dagger damage: 3 edge: G injury: 12 enc: 0
 Leather Corslet enc: 8
 Helm enc: 6
 Shield enc: 3
 Leasere enc: -6

Endurance: 27-5+3 Starting Endurance: 27 Fatigue from Encumbrance: 14 Fatigue from Travel: 2 Total Fatigue: 16 
Hope: 12 Starting Hope: 13 Temporary Shadow: 1 Permanent Shadow: 0 Total Shadow: 0 
Armour: 2 Headgear: 4 
Parry: 4 Shield: 2 
Damage: 5 Ranged: 5 
Wisdom: 2 Valour: 1 
Experience: 0 Total Experience: 4 
Fellowship: 6 Advancement: 3 Treasure: 1 Standing: 0
[r=1,1]Horse [r=1,2]Leasere
[r=2,1]Type [r=2,2]Radhors(Palfrey)
[r=3,1]Size [r=3,2]Medium
[r=4,1]Charge Damage [r=4,2]+3
[r=5,1]Riding Modifier [r=5,2]-2
[r=6,1]Encumbrance [r=6,2]-6
[r=7,1]Price [r=7,2]2g
[r=8,1]Status [r=8,2]2

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 164]
Author : Vladim
Date : Oct 19 '16 2:12am

http://i1050.photobucket.com/albums/s419/Svorinn/The _bride_zpsh8yahesv.pngAs soon as Gramtyng reached the dwarven duo, the Bride leapt from Leasere, eager to take their side as the spiders converged upon them. 

Despite her unfamiliarity with horses, her jump was well-timed, and she was able to land next to Nori. 'We have Ellerina! she explained to the dwarves, 'It is time to leave this place!'

As soon as she finished her sentence, a hungry Attercop tried to ensnare her, but the Bride was able to push the creature back, for the time being at least...

Endurance: 22/24 Fatigue: 18
Hope: 14/16
Shadow points: 1
Advancement points-Personality: 1
Advancement points-Movement: 1
Advancement points-Perception: 1
Advancement points-Survival: 1
Advancement points-Vocation: 1
Advancement points-General: 3
Experience: 4
Fellowship focus: Gramtyng
Fellowship role: Look-out Woman   Athletics check is in the dice thread. For this round, the Bride cannot attack (unless she gets a Great Success), so she assumes Defensive.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 165]
Author : Vladim
Date : Oct 20 '16 4:08am

With Gramtyng and the Bride joining the two dwarven cousins in battle, and with Ellerina and Bella letting lose arrows to distract the spiders, before regrouping with the rest, the fellowship had once again gathered. The elf and the Hobbit remained behind while the rest of the company defended against the spiders, whose attacks have thus far failed.

While no-one had suffered a wound yet, one of the Attercops did manage to hinder Leasere, by covering the Rohirrim's horse in webs. The horse seemed unsettled, for it had nevered encountered spiders before, but Gramtyng was able to control it.

Undeterred, the Attercops pressed on, although some of their kind chose to scavange on the dead mules and ponies.

Round 4. As before, it is possible to retreat without any rolls. If you stay, there will be 2 Attercops per each companion not in Rearward for this round.

Gramtyng's Rally gives everyone 3 Endurance point-remember that this does not lower your Travel fatigue.

As there are no clear rules on what to do when horses are ensnared, I will simply consider the horse easier to hit (-2 to TN) and more difficult to control with athletics (+2 to TN). However, Gram can still change stances, and his Parry is unaffected.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 166]
Author : Old Overholt
Date : Oct 22 '16 7:05pm

http://www.leecarver.com/rpg/nori.jpgHearing Indunn's call that Ellerina was safe, Nori shouted in response, "Couldn't agree more!" His physical attention, however, seems to be focused on the two Attercops in front of him as he tries to keep them at bay with the threat of his axe pointed forward, ready to strike should one of them decide to go for him. "Let's move!" he calls out to his cousin and brother-in-arms, trying to ensure Hepti does not succumb to his desires and cause the group to remain any longer than they have to.

Name: Nori, Son of Glom
Culture: Dwarves of the Lonely Mountain  Standard of Living: Rich
Cultural blessing: Redoubtable (starting Fatigue threshold is Encumbrance rating o fall items carried and then subrtracting favoured Heart score from total)
Calling: Treasure Hunter  Shadow weakness: Dragon-Sickness
Specialties: Smith-Craft, Trading, Burglary
Distinctive features: Bold, Robust
 Body: 6 Heart: 4 Wits: 4
 Body (favoured): 8 Heart (favoured): 7 Wits (favoured): 5

-Common Skills-
[r=1,1]Awe          [r=2,1]Inspire ••     [r=3,1]Persuade  [r=4,1]Personality 
[r=1,2]Athletics •   [r=2,2]Travel •••      [r=3,2]Stealth             [r=4,2]Movement •••
[r=1,3]Awareness  [r=2,3]Insight •••      [r=3,3]Search •••   [r=4,3]Perspective •
[r=1,4]Explore ••         [r=2,4]Healing  [r=3,4]Hunting              [r=4,4]Survival 
[r=1,5]Song •       [r=2,5]Courtesy   [r=3,5]Riddle •••      [r=4,5]Custom 
[r=1,6]Craft •••      [r=2,6]Battle • [r=3,6]Lore               [r=4,6]Vocation •
 

-Weapon Skills- Axes: 2 Short Sword: 1 Dagger: 1 

-Rewards-: 

-Virtues-: Stiff Neck of the Dwarves

-Gear- Long-hafted Axe damage: 5/7 edge: G injury: 18/20 enc: 3
 Dagger damage: 3 edge: G injury: 12 enc: 0
 Coat of Mail enc: 16
 Helm enc: 6 (3)
 Shield enc: 3


Endurance: 32 Starting Endurance: 32 Fatigue from Encumbrance: 20 Fatigue from Travel: 0 Total Fatigue: 20 
Hope: 10 Starting Hope: 10 Temporary Shadow: 2 Permanent Shadow: 0 Total Shadow: 2 
Armour: 4D Headgear: +4 
Parry: 4 Shield: 2 
Damage: 6 Ranged: -
Wisdom: 2 Valour: 1 
Experience: 4 Total Experience: 14 
Fellowship: ? Advancement: 3 Treasure: ? Standing: 0

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 167]
Author : CrimsonKnight16
Date : Oct 22 '16 10:31pm

Hepti wanted to stay and kill more spiders, but it was obvious that was suicide. He begrudgingly followed his cousin away from battle. "Just try teh follow me, ye damned spiders! I'll chop every last one of ye into tiny bits and have ye fer dinner!" Unfortunately, Hepti was going to have to wait for another day to slay his fill of spiders. He was thankful, at least, for his chance to kill a few of them while they rescued Ellerina. He taunted the spiders a bit more as they ran, not-so-secretly hoping one or two would actually be dumb enough to follow them.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 168]
Author : Born on the Bayeux
Date : Oct 23 '16 3:45am

http://i756.photobucket.com/albums/xx208/kookalouris/Bella_zpsoctracah.png (http://www.myth-weavers.com/showthread.php?t=363603)

"He who flees spiders today slays them tomorrow, mighty Spider-slayer!"  True, it was not worthy of any bard but Bella hoped her words would spur their newest member into flight.  For herself, Bella was keeping up with the tallest of the tall in retreat for the most part.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 169]
Author : Vladim
Date : Oct 24 '16 4:11am

The spiders made a few half-hearted attempts to attack as the fellowship retreated, but the axes of the dwarves and Gramtyng’s blade quickly discouraged them from pursuing. Instead, they fell upon the dead ponies and mules, of which there were a few, and started fighting over their carcasses, while the remaining attercops quickly begun to hunt the retreating orcs.

Before long, the distant grunts and screams of the orcs, accompanied by the eerie noises of feasting spiders, were all the company could hear. Breathless, the companions regrouped with Baldor, Belgo, and the still-unconscious Arphel. The merchant’s boy, Belgo, had already gathered the surviving ponies and mules and was examining the supplies. When he saw Gramtyng, he nearly embraced him, as it was the Horse-lord that who had planned the ambush. ’I hope you slaughtered them all!’ the child remarked with grim fascination. The father, still dumbfounded, tried to moderate the son’s enthusiasm, but Belgo gave him a long, cold stare.

Under the moonlight, the fellowship could see that Ellerina had not suffered any wounds and, other than the shock, she was well. The high elf thanked Bella for freeing her and extended her gratitude to the rest. ’Stories of Bilbo’s bravery had reached me, yet I had never expected to be the beneficiary of the courage of Hobbits. I thank you all; I am forever in your dept, and when the journey is over, I will find some way to repay you…’

Her attention quickly turned to Arphel, and the elf tried to put all the healing skills of her folk to the task of reviving the ranger. 

--------

Exhausted but victorious, the company found its way back to the elf-path, a task that took several hours. They arrived just before dawn and were in no state to march on, so they simply set up camp and rested. Travelling would have to wait for later; recovering from the ordeal was the priority.

The Bride joined Ellerina in trying to make Arphel comfortable. ’It is no wonder she is feverish,’ the elf remarked, ’for there is orc-poison coursing through her blood. She may yet recover, but we must find shelter soon. She will not live if we remain on the road.’

@ everyone: Now that combat is over, everyone can regain a number of endurance points equal to their Heart rating by taking a short rest. You can role-play if you wish to, but for more extensive RPing, I would recommend the next scene (it is mainly an RP scene). Also, please give me a travel check (TN 14).

Edit: Oh, and I forgot before, but +2 XP to everyone.

@ Born: Bella is the only character who may attempt to repair the failing relationship between father and son. If successful, this will have significant impact in the current adventure. To do so, please post some relevant RP and the skill check you find appropriate (e.g. persuade, courtesy, that sort of thing).

@ Dio: It is clear to you that Belgo looks up to you and wants to be a warrior, after you planned the ambush. You may discourage, encourage or ignore this; your call.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 170]
Author : Born on the Bayeux
Date : Oct 25 '16 12:42am

http://i756.photobucket.com/albums/xx208/kookalouris/Bella_zpsoctracah.png (http://www.myth-weavers.com/showthread.php?t=363603)

In my debt?  It was simply enough for a little hobbit to be thanked by a child of the Valar.  Bella had now been given a story as heirloom for nieces and nephews and later grand-nieces and grand-nephews.  Bella was considered by those from the so-far-away Shire to be a confirmed spinster.  But Bella was not offended.  She feared it to be a accurate, if presumptuous, assessment.  She simply nodded in gratitude for the acknowledgement.

Thoughts of family and displaced maternal instinct spurred Bella on.  There was one child right now she could help reconcile with his kin.  They arrived in time to hear the grim edge in Belgo's bitterness.  Perhaps such bleak assessment was the necessary perspective of a seasoned warrior but it was like a spider's sting to hear it in one so young.  "We did what was necessary to survive, Belgo.  Extra blood shed, ours or theirs, doesn't serve anyone. Cling to your living kin rather than fretting over dead enemies."


Yes, if Tolkien says spider's sting, then they sting in Middle-Earth. :danceorc:

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 171]
Author : Diofant
Date : Oct 26 '16 12:20am

http://i.imgur.com/PL6i5Hx.pngGramtyng, son of Fastred (http://www.myth-weavers.com/showthread.php?t=364654)

Gramtyng had managed, with some effort, to hack away the spider threads binding Leasere and with a brief movement of his legs, nudged his faithful mount onward, clearing the path for the rest of the companions. The feeling of wind in hair had been indescribable: It seemed like years since he'd galloped like this, and soon, they would return to the stifling cover of the blackened treetops of Mirkwood, and he would have to dismount. The horse, sensing its rider's mirth, neighed and gave an enthusiastic kick to a nearby orc. Slowly, ever slowly, the battle-madness left Gramtyng, and as the dark canopy closed over his head, he was once more calm. Dismounting, he walked alongside the others to where they left Belgo and Baldor; young Belgo's words caught him off-guard: he did not think he had given the boy that kind of impression. The child's eyes seemed alight with the same kind of fire that was within the eyes of children of the Mark when they heard stories of battles... he supposed children must have been the same no matter where you went, dreaming of adventures. But reality was much less glorious and sobering, he knew, recalling his arguments with his father and his own attempts to stop the progression of the national curse.

"Belgo, I'm..." He coughed into his fist, unsure how to put this: He seldom spoke to children. The most he did was in Mountain Hall, when a small pack of curious kids, uncaring that he was a stranger, bombarded the weary man with questions of distant lands. They made for grateful listeners, at least... But the responsibility for their growth frightened the bard, and her mother's talks of his marriage seemed quite concerning, as he enjoyed his freedom quite thoroughly, in the past. "...Not the best role model here, but let me explain something. Battle is different for every warrior, but losing yourself to anything, taking it to an extreme, always ends poorly. Moderation and all that... Well, I'm pretty bad at this. Still - the thing is this. I was angry; very angry, at orcs that stole Ellerina, Leasere, and who did that to Arphel. But even with my recklessness - we came for our companions, not to feed Mirkwood our enemies' blood. As soon as we got them out - we were out of there." He feverishly recalled his previous arguments with Fastred about similar things, and the examples he'd given. Not much came to mind. "Even from a tactical view: We could have continued fighting to truly punish the evildoers for their acts, but then we would risk our saved companions' lives - and if they died, what was the point of this skirmish to begin with? That's why, even if you do get angry, especially in battle - you must temper it with reason, and never lose sight of your final goal. Not only in battle, even. Obsession is not a pretty lady, lad."

Name: Gramtyng, son of Fastred

Culture: Rider of Rohan  Standard of Living: Martial
Cultural blessing: Fey Mood
Calling: Scholar  Shadow weakness: Lure of Secrets
Specialties: Minstrelsy, Story-telling, Rhymes of Lore
Distinctive features: Fair, Reckless
 Body: 5 Heart: 5 Wits: 4
 Body (favoured): 8 Heart (favoured): 6 Wits (favoured): 6

-Common Skills-
[r=1,1]Awe ••         [r=2,1]Inspire ••     [r=3,1]Persuade  [r=4,1]Personality •••
[r=1,2]Athletics •••   [r=2,2]Travel ••      [r=3,2]Stealth             [r=4,2]Movement •••
[r=1,3]Awareness • [r=2,3]Insight ••      [r=3,3]Search   [r=4,3]Perspective ••
[r=1,4]Explore •         [r=2,4]Healing  [r=3,4]Hunting ••             [r=4,4]Survival •
[r=1,5]Song ••        [r=2,5]Courtesy •  [r=3,5]Riddle •      [r=4,5]Custom •
[r=1,6]Craft •      [r=2,6]Battle •• [r=3,6]Lore •              [r=4,6]Vocation •
 
-Weapon Skills- Sword: 3 Dagger: 1 Bow: 1 -Rewards-: 
-Virtues-: Old Songs And Children Tales
-Gear- Sword damage: 5 edge: 10 injury: 16 enc: 2
 Bow damage: 5 edge: 10 injury: 14 enc: 1
 Dagger damage: 3 edge: G injury: 12 enc: 0
 Leather Corslet enc: 8
 Helm enc: 6
 Shield enc: 3
 Leasere enc: -6

Endurance: 27-5+3 Starting Endurance: 27 Fatigue from Encumbrance: 14 Fatigue from Travel: 2 Total Fatigue: 16 
Hope: 12 Starting Hope: 13 Temporary Shadow: 1 Permanent Shadow: 0 Total Shadow: 0 
Armour: 2 Headgear: 4 
Parry: 4 Shield: 2 
Damage: 5 Ranged: 5 
Wisdom: 2 Valour: 1 
Experience: 0 Total Experience: 4 
Fellowship: 6 Advancement: 3 Treasure: 1 Standing: 0
[r=1,1]Horse [r=1,2]Leasere
[r=2,1]Type [r=2,2]Radhors(Palfrey)
[r=3,1]Size [r=3,2]Medium
[r=4,1]Charge Damage [r=4,2]+3
[r=5,1]Riding Modifier [r=5,2]-2
[r=6,1]Encumbrance [r=6,2]-6
[r=7,1]Price [r=7,2]2g
[r=8,1]Status [r=8,2]2

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 172]
Author : Vladim
Date : Oct 26 '16 3:29am

Belgo listened carefully to Bella first, then Gramtyng, as the two companions tried to make similar points... He seemed to understand what the two of them were saying, indicating a level of maturity not always found in children his age. 

'Still...' he said to Bella and Gramtyng, '...Without your bravery, Ellerina and Arphel would be lost. I know that I am only a boy now, but I will not be a boy forever... 

One day I will be a warrior, and I will be brave enough to stand up against orcs and other monsters... even dragons! King Bard showed it is possible.' He turned to Gramtyng: 'Will you teach me how to fight, and ride, and be a good swardsman, like the Horse-lords of your country?'

--------------

The company wakes up at dawn on the next day, and begins to journey forth along the Elf-path for the next leg of their journey. The fellowship spends several days on the road, with excellent weather, but unable to find a refuge nearby… Yet the makeshift shelter Ellerina prepares each night seems sufficient, because Arphel’s condition does not worsen. The ranger’s body seems to be fighting the poison and, slowly but surely, winning.

When not tending to Arphel, Ellerina is distant, as if lost in her thoughts.

Baldor also appears to slowly recover, although he is still strange and occasionally distant, and does not always seem to recognize his own boy. But after two days on the road, he starts inventorying his goods, carefully cataloguing what he still has, and what he is missing. The task serves the role of quiet meditation for the old man, and he is satisfied with the results, thanking Nori profusely for recovering his goods with every opportunity he gets.

--------------

On the fifth day, the good weather that the fellowship had been enjoying takes a dramatic turn to the worse. Storm clouds descend on Mirkwood, turning the forest as dark as midnight. High winds tear through the tree-tops, sending hails of leaves and twigs down on the company. Larger branches creak ominously, and rotten boughs crack and tumble. The clouds open as though some great hand picked up the whole of the Long Lake and dumped it on the forest. Thunder and lightning crash overhead, incredibly loud and perilously close, and water starts trickling along the trees more and more copiously until dozens of little streams and rills start winding their way through the forest floor. The torrential rain soaks everyone to the bone and makes further travel impossible.

Scouting ahead of the party, Bella spots an unusual sight at some distance from the Elf-Path. There is a huge dead hollow tree up ahead, and a thin plume of woodsmoke rises from the top. Clearly, the hollow tree is someone’s home, but whether it is the refuge of a hunter or the den of some foul beast, the companions cannot know. Still, when Bella mentions the tree, Ellerina urges the company to investigate-she is certain that Arphel will not make it if they remain outside in the unforgiving storm.

The Bride and Bella see their Fatigue score rise by 2 points. Hepti gains an advancement point in movement.

In addition, all companions should make a Corruption test at TN 14 (1d12 plus a number of d6s equal to Wisdom). Failure does NOT increase the number of Shadow points, but makes the companion temporarily Miserable (unable to spend Hope to add Attribute bonuses). The Misery is a concequence of accumulated fatigue and the bad weather.

The company can choose to avoid exploring the Hollow tree. In such a case, everyone sees their Fatigue increased by 3 points, and there is a good chance that Arphel dies.   Endurance: 24/24 Fatigue: 20
Hope: 14/16
Shadow points: 1
Advancement points-Personality: 1
Advancement points-Movement: 1
Advancement points-Perception: 1
Advancement points-Survival: 1
Advancement points-Vocation: 1
Advancement points-General: 3
Experience: 6
Fellowship focus: Gramtyng
Fellowship role: Look-out Woman

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 173]
Author : Old Overholt
Date : Oct 26 '16 5:38pm

http://www.leecarver.com/rpg/nori.jpgActing as the guide, Nori sets an even pace for those following behind him, trying to make it easy for child, wounded, and vigorous a like to make their way along the Elf-path. And while he doesn't move with haste, he does keep a moderately strenuous march, knowing that time is not necessarily on Arphel's side even if she appears to be fighting the poison well.

When the group makes camp, he often finds himself in the company of Baldor - assisting the recovering fellow by taking stock of what goods he has and assisting in making minor repairs as he can. It's most idle chit-chat, Nori "talking shop" about the wares Baldor has brought with him and what he intends to do with them or sell them for. If anything, Nori is just trying to provide a reassuring figure for Baldor given the strife with his son and the embarrassment of his rescue from the Attercops. 

----------

When the rain begins to pour on the fifth day, Nori trudges along at the same pace, but his griping and complaining seem to go tit-for-tat with it. He curses being drenched and the foliage that occasionally smacks him in the face or gets caught in his beard, often wiping his face clear of whatever nature has thrown at him and flinging it down to the ground with a snap of his arm. Eventually, the downtrodden dwarf seems to have reached at crossroads with his tolerance for the weather and continuing on. "Confounded clouds!" he cries out to the heavens above, raising a fist to shake at them in furious anger.

Turning about to face the traveling party after receiving news from Bella about the hollow tree, Nori says to his friends, "I can't take trudging through this blasted precipitation one minute longer. And I doubt it's doing anyone else any good. I say we go knock on this tree and see what comes out... it might just invite us in out of this horrid weather." His squinted eyes, trying to block out the rain, look to the rest of those gathered, as if taking a vote or looking for objections.

Name: Nori, Son of Glom
Culture: Dwarves of the Lonely Mountain  Standard of Living: Rich
Cultural blessing: Redoubtable (starting Fatigue threshold is Encumbrance rating o fall items carried and then subrtracting favoured Heart score from total)
Calling: Treasure Hunter  Shadow weakness: Dragon-Sickness
Specialties: Smith-Craft, Trading, Burglary
Distinctive features: Bold, Robust
 Body: 6 Heart: 4 Wits: 4
 Body (favoured): 8 Heart (favoured): 7 Wits (favoured): 5

-Common Skills-
[r=1,1]Awe          [r=2,1]Inspire ••     [r=3,1]Persuade  [r=4,1]Personality 
[r=1,2]Athletics •   [r=2,2]Travel •••      [r=3,2]Stealth             [r=4,2]Movement •••
[r=1,3]Awareness  [r=2,3]Insight •••      [r=3,3]Search •••   [r=4,3]Perspective •
[r=1,4]Explore ••         [r=2,4]Healing  [r=3,4]Hunting              [r=4,4]Survival 
[r=1,5]Song •       [r=2,5]Courtesy   [r=3,5]Riddle •••      [r=4,5]Custom 
[r=1,6]Craft •••      [r=2,6]Battle • [r=3,6]Lore               [r=4,6]Vocation •
 

-Weapon Skills- Axes: 2 Short Sword: 1 Dagger: 1 

-Rewards-: 

-Virtues-: Stiff Neck of the Dwarves

-Gear- Long-hafted Axe damage: 5/7 edge: G injury: 18/20 enc: 3
 Dagger damage: 3 edge: G injury: 12 enc: 0
 Coat of Mail enc: 16
 Helm enc: 6 (3)
 Shield enc: 3


Endurance: 32 Starting Endurance: 32 Fatigue from Encumbrance: 20 Fatigue from Travel: 0 Total Fatigue: 20 
Hope: 10 Starting Hope: 10 Temporary Shadow: 2 Permanent Shadow: 0 Total Shadow: 2 
Armour: 4D Headgear: +4 
Parry: 4 Shield: 2 
Damage: 6 Ranged: -
Wisdom: 2 Valour: 1 
Experience: 4 Total Experience: 14 
Fellowship: ? Advancement: 3 Treasure: ? Standing: 0

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 174]
Author : Born on the Bayeux
Date : Oct 28 '16 5:07am

http://i756.photobucket.com/albums/xx208/kookalouris/Bella_zpsoctracah.png (http://www.myth-weavers.com/showthread.php?t=363603)

Bella was gratified to see that her words and, especially Gram's, had a positive effect on Belgo.  And the boys own words were that of a maturing young man.  "Bard indeed." She mummured to Gramtyng, complementing the warrior's wise choice of words.

Ellrina and Baldor seemed quiet rather than conflicted and Bella supressed her urge to comfort and meddle.  And things went well until the storm.  When the smoke from the hollowed tree was visible, it wasn't even a choice to Bella.

"Please, Fellows, we must inquire about shelter there.  Arphel cannot endure much more of this storm."

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 175]
Author : Vladim
Date : Oct 28 '16 7:03am

http://i1050.photobucket.com/albums/s419/Svorinn/The _bride_zpsh8yahesv.png'Let us move then!' says Idunn, whose strength and endurance strained under the heavy rain. The journey had left her exhausted and eager to return to Mountain Hall, for she was unaccustomed to travelling such great distances. 'If anyone wants to stay in the rain, let them do so!' She had tried hard not to let the hardships affect her tone towards her companions, but the torrential rain had brought her close to her breaking point.

The companions willing to approach the tree quickly see that there is no actual door for entering it. But searching around the base of the tree reveals a short, small tunnel that runs between the roots and into the hollow interior. From outside, the companions can only see a small fire illuminating the interior, but not much else. The interior looks dry, warm and inviting, and there does not seem to be anyone or anything moving inside-at least not as far as the companions can see from the outside.

Endurance: 24/24 Fatigue: 20
Hope: 14/16
Shadow points: 1
Advancement points-Personality: 1
Advancement points-Movement: 1
Advancement points-Perception: 1
Advancement points-Survival: 1
Advancement points-Vocation: 1
Advancement points-General: 3
Experience: 6
Fellowship focus: Gramtyng
Fellowship role: Look-out Woman

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 176]
Author : Diofant
Date : Oct 28 '16 6:23pm

http://i.imgur.com/PL6i5Hx.pngGramtyng, son of Fastred (http://www.myth-weavers.com/showthread.php?t=364654)

This was again, a bit sudden. Having attempted to suppress the pleasures of combat as much as he could all his life - and in so doing, the national curse as well - and fought with his father against adhering to the culture that glorified death and (in his view) meaningless sacrifice... It was odd to say the least to hear a child ask so seriously to be trained in things he'd rejected so long. Certainly, children were easily excitable and often longed for the glories of the Kingsguard or the Shieldmaidens - some, of the laurels of the master huntsman, following in Folca King's footsteps... Not many desired the path of a minstrel and record keeper. Then again, his people had been one ever forged by war, so it was unsurprising. Regardless of his beliefs, he could not belittle Belgo, and perhaps it would be best if the lad did learn it from him, and not from a son or daughter of the Mark who had progressed further into the Fey Mood's curse. He did not trust Baldor's good judgement; but the man was the boy's father, and regardless what he thought of him, he did not want to further the split between parent and child, and have them end up in similar circumstances as he and his own father did. 

"In the Mark, Belgo, we have a tradition." Gramtyng began slowly, considering how to best put this. "Fathers give their sons, when they are still young, to one of the Eored - thats what we call our cavalry. These young men are called esquires - they get their own horse, and assist in knightly matters. The esquire makes certain the Rider's weapons are sharp, armour mended, that they wear their best clothes, drink from their best goblet and so on - they learn etiquette that way. The Rider, on the other hand, teaches the esquire all that you mentioned, and makes certain of his ward's safety." Of course, if given all this right now, the boy would likely agree... Esquires in Rohan began their apprenticeships at about 14 or 15 - but given how mature Belgo had shown himself to be so far, perhaps 12 was a better age for this. That way the parent and child would have 2 years to reconcile and reforge their trust - perhaps by then, Belgo would want to follow in his father's footsteps, even, instead of that of a exiled Horselord.

"If you want to take this path, and will not change your mind, then in two years time, you can join me as my esquire." He wanted to say 'if your father allows you' but decided against that - the last thing the boy needed right now was more mention of how his father who couldnt even remember him, had the power to deny his dream. Despite what he may have thought of Baldor for acting like a fool and endangering their companions, ripping him away from his son without so much as a word would have been simply inhumane. Hearing what Bella said, the minstrel nodded his thanks to her words; in his view, his words had been clumsy and poorly placed - he was used to singing to three audiences: The lords of the Golden Hall as they feasted in silence, rowdy tavern patrons in varying degrees of drunkenness, and attractive women he attempted to win favor of. Inspirational speeches? Sure. But educational inspirational speeches for children? Not so much. Still... Perhaps it was good enough. Bella seemed to think so, perhaps he wasnt as bad as he thought!

--------------------After the rain begins and the tree is found--------------------

"The animals cant take much more of this either!" Yelled back Gramtyng, trying to reply to Nori over the sound of the rain. "Doubt they can fit in the tree but maybe some thicker canopy..." For himself, he agreed with the others - a nice rain every now and then was good but this downpour wasnt helping anyone, except maybe Hepti, who got covered in spiderguts not too long ago. He could have used a bath himself... But this was just a little ridiculous. Gramtyng crawled inside as quickly as he could after tying Leasere to a tree, tossing a measure of cloth over him to shield him from the rain, and making sure the ponies were secure. He unsheathed his sword, but remained wary, holding his shield at the ready. 

Name: Gramtyng, son of Fastred

Culture: Rider of Rohan  Standard of Living: Martial
Cultural blessing: Fey Mood
Calling: Scholar  Shadow weakness: Lure of Secrets
Specialties: Minstrelsy, Story-telling, Rhymes of Lore
Distinctive features: Fair, Reckless
 Body: 5 Heart: 5 Wits: 4
 Body (favoured): 8 Heart (favoured): 6 Wits (favoured): 6

-Common Skills-
[r=1,1]Awe 封         [r=2,1]Inspire 封     [r=3,1]Persuade  [r=4,1]Personality 封・
[r=1,2]Athletics 封・  [r=2,2]Travel 封      [r=3,2]Stealth             [r=4,2]Movement 封・
[r=1,3]Awareness ・[r=2,3]Insight 封      [r=3,3]Search   [r=4,3]Perspective 封
[r=1,4]Explore ・        [r=2,4]Healing  [r=3,4]Hunting 封             [r=4,4]Survival ・
[r=1,5]Song 封        [r=2,5]Courtesy ・ [r=3,5]Riddle ・     [r=4,5]Custom ・
[r=1,6]Craft ・     [r=2,6]Battle 封 [r=3,6]Lore ・             [r=4,6]Vocation ・
 
-Weapon Skills- Sword: 3 Dagger: 1 Bow: 1 -Rewards-: 
-Virtues-: Old Songs And Children Tales
-Gear- Sword damage: 5 edge: 10 injury: 16 enc: 2
 Bow damage: 5 edge: 10 injury: 14 enc: 1
 Dagger damage: 3 edge: G injury: 12 enc: 0
 Leather Corslet enc: 8
 Helm enc: 6
 Shield enc: 3
 Leasere enc: -6

Endurance: 27-5+3+2(Full) Starting Endurance: 27 Fatigue from Encumbrance: 14 Fatigue from Travel: 2 Total Fatigue: 16 
Hope: 12 Starting Hope: 13 Temporary Shadow: 1 Permanent Shadow: 0 Total Shadow: 0 
Armour: 2 Headgear: 4 
Parry: 4 Shield: 2 
Damage: 5 Ranged: 5 
Wisdom: 2 Valour: 1 
Experience: 0 Total Experience: 4 
Fellowship: 6 Advancement: 3 Treasure: 1 Standing: 0
[r=1,1]Horse [r=1,2]Leasere
[r=2,1]Type [r=2,2]Radhors(Palfrey)
[r=3,1]Size [r=3,2]Medium
[r=4,1]Charge Damage [r=4,2]+3
[r=5,1]Riding Modifier [r=5,2]-2
[r=6,1]Encumbrance [r=6,2]-6
[r=7,1]Price [r=7,2]2g
[r=8,1]Status [r=8,2]2

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 177]
Author : Vladim
Date : Oct 31 '16 1:43am

Belgo lowered his head in response to the Horse-lord's words. 'You could still teach me how to fight. he finally said, the dissapointment clear in his voice. 'There may be more foul creatures in the forest. At least show me how to defend myself!'

A few yards away, Baldor, engaged in conversation with Nori, took notice of Gramtyng and Belgo. The few sentences he overheard made Belgo's desires clear to him. He gave both Gramtyng and Belgo a dissaproving look, but Belgo was immune to it, and kept pressing the Rohirrim.

-----------

Baldor breathes a sigh of relief; Belgo, too, seems thankful for the unexpected chance of shelter. Carefully, Ellerina lifts Arphel from the mule she had been placed on and enters the hollow tree. Of the remaining companions, those wishing to enter follow her inside.

Inside, the entrance tunnel opens into a single round room. The walls are the dead wood of the tree, and the roof is a mix of bark and thatch that keeps most of the wind and rain out. There is a ring of stones in the middle of the room, and a small cooking-fire burns there, radiating pleasant heat around it. Above it, some curious hunks of meat are cooking on a spit. Other unidentifiable bits of meat hang from the ceiling on long black strings. There is a single bed of leaves and furs near the fire. Jars of water and baskets of fruit sit in a cool muddy hollow at the back of the room.

http://i1050.photobucket.com/albums/s419/Svorinn/The _bride_zpsh8yahesv.png’This is the handiwork of a Woodman.’ the Bride says soon after entering. ’I would recognize it anywhere. Whoever lives here cannot be far. Perhaps this is the shelter of a lone hunter, and he can let us stay the night.’ 

Exhausted, she removes her rain-soaked cloak, which has been made heavy with water, and places it to dry by the fire. Ellerina decides to place Arphel on the bed of leaves and furs, as the poisoned ranger is drenched in water, and shivering with cold or fever.

I made a mistake with the Misearable condition (thanks to Dio for pointing it out). Miserable PCs normally cannot spend Hope AND those that roll a Sauron (11) on the Feat die suffer a bout of Madness and gain 1 point of permanent shadow (plus a negative trait associated with their Calling).

But because I messed up, let’s assume for now that the second part (bout of madness possibility) does not apply in this condition. So there is no danger of gaining permanent Shadow here.

For now, you can interact with some of the PCs/NPCs, or Search around for more clues as to the hunter’s identity (Search TN 14), or use Persuade (TN 14) to tell Ellerina to not put Arphel on the hunter’s bed (bad manners), or use Awareness to keep an ear and an eye open for anyone approaching (TN 14), or use Hunting (TN 14) to identify the meat. Or any other creative way to use your skills.   Endurance: 24/24 Fatigue: 20
Hope: 14/16
Shadow points: 1
Advancement points-Personality: 1
Advancement points-Movement: 1
Advancement points-Perception: 1
Advancement points-Survival: 1
Advancement points-Vocation: 1
Advancement points-General: 3
Experience: 6
Fellowship focus: Gramtyng
Fellowship role: Look-out Woman

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 178]
Author : CrimsonKnight16
Date : Nov 1 '16 3:47am

Hepti was in foul spirits. They hadn't seen a single spider since he had joined the fellowship. Day after day he spent travelling across the land, and still not a single tiny arachnid had crawled out from behind a rock for him to crush. Still, he had the company of friends, and he could share stories of his spider-slaying around the camp fire each night. That would have to suffice for now.

The problem at hand, was who lived in this house. It wasn't a spider, for sure. Not enough webs covering everything. With that possibility out of the way, Hepti inspected the house more closely in an attempt to determine what kind of not-spider would take up residence in an old tree.

1d12 3d6tLM EDIT: Pass. +1 advancement point on perception group. Information onwhat is discovered sent via PM.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 179]
Author : Vladim
Date : Nov 2 '16 9:53am

Time passes as the companions tend to different tasks. Hepti examines the interior of the hollow tree while his cousin Nori ponders about who might reside here. Ellerina removes Arphel's rain-soaked cloak and boots, while Gramtyng inspects the meats and the Bride and Bella stand vigilant by the entrance. However, it is the stout Hobbit that first hears the hunter return...

@ Born: As only Bella hears the hunter, she can warn the companions. If the companions are not warned, they will be caught unawares.

@ Everyone: If Bella warns the fellowship, you can choose to either ready your weapons or keep them lowered. Readying your weapons will give you an advantage if there is combat, but will likely offend the hunter if you choose to talk to him (increasing the TNs of social encounters). This increase in the TN will be applied if two or more companions ready their weapons.

An exception will be made if Intimidation (Awe) is used to 'convince' the hunter, as weapons in open display might help with this kind of 'persuading'. 

If anyone draws a weapon, the Bride will object, as she thinks she can reason with a Woodman. I might role-play it if there is lag time between player posts.

Remember, all of this only applies if Bella warns you-if she doesn't, then you don't hear the hunter approach, and I will therefore move to the next scene. This will happen in a couple of real-world days.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 180]
Author : Born on the Bayeux
Date : Nov 3 '16 5:30am

http://i756.photobucket.com/albums/xx208/kookalouris/Bella_zpsoctracah.png (http://www.myth-weavers.com/showthread.php?t=363603)

As soon as she detected the hunter's presence, Bella informed the others through very discreet hand gestures and, if necessary, whispers...


Bella is trying to let her Fellowship know about the hunter in the most subtle way possible.  I have left this post rather short as both Bella and Vladim know how to do this better than me...

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 181]
Author : Diofant
Date : Nov 7 '16 11:15pm

http://i.imgur.com/PL6i5Hx.pngGramtyng, son of Fastred (http://www.myth-weavers.com/showthread.php?t=364654)

Gramtyng, like the rest of the company, had been curious about this odd refuge they'd found themselves in: However the meats hanging on the ceiling smelled a little odd, and did not look like the carcasses of typical forest animals... Then again, this was Mirkwood. What on earth did this hunter even find that was edible? Try as he might, he could not figure out what animals the meat had come from. Ashamed, he continued looking around, until Bella had indicated something was about to enter. The Minstrel made sure his sword was sheathed, but easily retrievable from its place, and once again affirmed the belts that held the shield in place on his arm: he did not wish to appear hostile, but carrying a shield that way at least would not alert the owner... he hoped.

Name: Gramtyng, son of Fastred

Culture: Rider of Rohan  Standard of Living: Martial
Cultural blessing: Fey Mood
Calling: Scholar  Shadow weakness: Lure of Secrets
Specialties: Minstrelsy, Story-telling, Rhymes of Lore
Distinctive features: Fair, Reckless
 Body: 5 Heart: 5 Wits: 4
 Body (favoured): 8 Heart (favoured): 6 Wits (favoured): 6

-Common Skills-
[r=1,1]Awe ••         [r=2,1]Inspire ••     [r=3,1]Persuade  [r=4,1]Personality •••
[r=1,2]Athletics •••   [r=2,2]Travel ••      [r=3,2]Stealth             [r=4,2]Movement •••
[r=1,3]Awareness • [r=2,3]Insight ••      [r=3,3]Search   [r=4,3]Perspective ••
[r=1,4]Explore •         [r=2,4]Healing  [r=3,4]Hunting ••             [r=4,4]Survival •
[r=1,5]Song ••        [r=2,5]Courtesy •  [r=3,5]Riddle •      [r=4,5]Custom •
[r=1,6]Craft •      [r=2,6]Battle •• [r=3,6]Lore •              [r=4,6]Vocation •
 
-Weapon Skills- Sword: 3 Dagger: 1 Bow: 1 -Rewards-: 
-Virtues-: Old Songs And Children Tales
-Gear- Sword damage: 5 edge: 10 injury: 16 enc: 2
 Bow damage: 5 edge: 10 injury: 14 enc: 1
 Dagger damage: 3 edge: G injury: 12 enc: 0
 Leather Corslet enc: 8
 Helm enc: 6
 Shield enc: 3
 Leasere enc: -6

Endurance: 27-5+3+2(Full) Starting Endurance: 27 Fatigue from Encumbrance: 14 Fatigue from Travel: 2 Total Fatigue: 16 
Hope: 12 Starting Hope: 13 Temporary Shadow: 1 Permanent Shadow: 0 Total Shadow: 0 
Armour: 2 Headgear: 4 
Parry: 4 Shield: 2 
Damage: 5 Ranged: 5 
Wisdom: 2 Valour: 1 
Experience: 0 Total Experience: 4 
Fellowship: 6 Advancement: 3 Treasure: 1 Standing: 0
[r=1,1]Horse [r=1,2]Leasere
[r=2,1]Type [r=2,2]Radhors(Palfrey)
[r=3,1]Size [r=3,2]Medium
[r=4,1]Charge Damage [r=4,2]+3
[r=5,1]Riding Modifier [r=5,2]-2
[r=6,1]Encumbrance [r=6,2]-6
[r=7,1]Price [r=7,2]2g
[r=8,1]Status [r=8,2]2

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 182]
Author : Vladim
Date : Nov 8 '16 1:19am

Before long, the sounds that Bella originally heard becomes audible to the entire company: there is scratching outside, as if someone is wiggling their way through the narrow, short tunnel into the hollow tree. Almost simultaneously, an incredibly rank smell fills the tree, no doubt emanating from the hunter. The companions can see the tip of a spear before the hunter himself appears. 

http://i1050.photobucket.com/albums/s419/Svorinn/hermit_zpsfbfvnsqt.pngA rail-thin old man stands surprised before the group. His bald head is covered in dark spots and blemishes, and the few hairs that randomly grow from his diseased scalp are white and wild. His ankles and wrists are scarred and marks from old wounds can be seen on his forehands. Despite the heavy rain, the man is dressed very lightly. His filthy, tattered old rags are in such a worn state that he appears almost half-naked. These rags are clearly the source of the awful odour, and the companions get a whiff with every movement he makes.

The hunter’s eyes open wide as soon as he notices the company. He quickly levels his spear at the fellowship and shrieks in alarm: 

’Ah! Intruders! What are you doing in my tree?’Gramtyng can tell, from the look in the hunter's eyes, that there is probably something wrong with him... mentally. He seems a bit unhinged. The scars and markings also suggest that he was a prisoner somewhere, many years ago, and most likely tortured.Nori can tell that the hunter is unhinged-probably paranoid, maybe even insane. From the looks he has been giving Nori and Hepti, it is clear that he does not like dwarves.
This is a social encounter, and we will be following the rules for those.

The first thing you can do is to roll Insight (TN 14) to gain bonus dice for this encounter (success=1 die, great success=2 dice, extraordinary success=3 dice). Rolls of Insight may also reveal additional information.

Then, you must introduce yourselves. You can do so as a group with a single spokesman or individually. If you choose a single spokesman, then (s)he should make a Courtesy check (for a polite reply), an Awe check (Intimidation) or a Riddle check (lying). The TN is in all cases 14.

If you introduce yourselves individually, you can also attempt Courtesy (replying with good manners), Awe (stating your name, lineage, deeds and/or exploits to impress the hunter) or Riddle (lying/concealing information about your identity).

If the spokesman fails, the company will be kicked out. If individual companions fail, then the PCs that failed cannot participate actively in the following discussion, but are not kicked out.

Remember, you may have traits or specializations that are applicable here for gaining automatic successes.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 183]
Author : Diofant
Date : Nov 9 '16 1:30am

http://i.imgur.com/PL6i5Hx.pngGramtyng, son of Fastred (http://www.myth-weavers.com/showthread.php?t=364654)

Gramtyng raised his free hand calmingly, showing he was unarmed. Times like these, with people like this, one had to speak gently and quietly, without needless shows of teeth he'd been so fond of. After all, in the animal kingdom, that was a show of hostility... The man was obviously on edge, and had suffered much. His clothes, his personal hygiene, even the way he aged... It was saddening to look upon a man reduced to such a state. What made him this way? The bard wondered. Of course, it was nothing he'd ask him. The spear pointed at them was a bit unnerving, but with such a thin old man, it concerned the minstrel more that he would hurt himself, not them. "Peace, friend." He gestured towards Arphel and Ellerina: "We've had a nasty run-in with orcs and spiders, and our companion was severely wounded. The orcs are lie dead... But she is burning up with a fever. We could not carry her through this rain; my sincerest apologies for intruding upon your cozy home. We are escorting a merchant and his son - Baldor and Belgo - through Mirkwood: I am Gramtyng of the Rohirrim, this is The Bride of Mountain Hall, Nori of the Lonely Mountain, Hepti of the Iron Hills, Bella of the Shire, Ellerina of Rivendell, and Arphel... Of the Dunedain."

Name: Gramtyng, son of Fastred

Culture: Rider of Rohan  Standard of Living: Martial
Cultural blessing: Fey Mood
Calling: Scholar  Shadow weakness: Lure of Secrets
Specialties: Minstrelsy, Story-telling, Rhymes of Lore
Distinctive features: Fair, Reckless
 Body: 5 Heart: 5 Wits: 4
 Body (favoured): 8 Heart (favoured): 6 Wits (favoured): 6

-Common Skills-
[r=1,1]Awe ••         [r=2,1]Inspire ••     [r=3,1]Persuade  [r=4,1]Personality •••
[r=1,2]Athletics •••   [r=2,2]Travel ••      [r=3,2]Stealth             [r=4,2]Movement •••
[r=1,3]Awareness • [r=2,3]Insight ••      [r=3,3]Search   [r=4,3]Perspective ••
[r=1,4]Explore •         [r=2,4]Healing  [r=3,4]Hunting ••             [r=4,4]Survival •
[r=1,5]Song ••        [r=2,5]Courtesy •  [r=3,5]Riddle •      [r=4,5]Custom ••
[r=1,6]Craft •      [r=2,6]Battle •• [r=3,6]Lore •              [r=4,6]Vocation •
 
-Weapon Skills- Sword: 3 Dagger: 1 Bow: 1 -Rewards-: 
-Virtues-: Old Songs And Children Tales
-Gear- Sword damage: 5 edge: 10 injury: 16 enc: 2
 Bow damage: 5 edge: 10 injury: 14 enc: 1
 Dagger damage: 3 edge: G injury: 12 enc: 0
 Leather Corslet enc: 8
 Helm enc: 6
 Shield enc: 3
 Leasere enc: -6

Endurance: 27-5+3+2(Full) Starting Endurance: 27 Fatigue from Encumbrance: 14 Fatigue from Travel: 2 Total Fatigue: 16 
Hope: 12 Starting Hope: 13 Temporary Shadow: 1 Permanent Shadow: 0 Total Shadow: 0 
Armour: 2 Headgear: 4 
Parry: 4 Shield: 2 
Damage: 5 Ranged: 5 
Wisdom: 2 Valour: 1 
Experience: 0 Total Experience: 4 
Fellowship: 6 Advancement: 3 Treasure: 1 Standing: 0
[r=1,1]Horse [r=1,2]Leasere
[r=2,1]Type [r=2,2]Radhors(Palfrey)
[r=3,1]Size [r=3,2]Medium
[r=4,1]Charge Damage [r=4,2]+3
[r=5,1]Riding Modifier [r=5,2]-2
[r=6,1]Encumbrance [r=6,2]-6
[r=7,1]Price [r=7,2]2g
[r=8,1]Status [r=8,2]2

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 184]
Author : Vladim
Date : Nov 9 '16 2:28am

http://i1050.photobucket.com/albums/s419/Svorinn/hermit_zpsfbfvnsqt.png’A run-in with nasties, eh? Orcs and spiders, eh? I know them well!’ 

The mentioning of orc-slaying seems to have reassured the hermit, who lowers his spear and kneels by the burning Arphel. ’They got her good, the nasties!’ he says, after placing his filthy hand on Arphel’s forehead. He closes his eyes and quietly hums a tune.

Outside, the storm is still raging. Yet after a few moments, the hunter stands up. He looks at the companions as if he does not recognize them, even though Gramtyng introduced the fellowship only a few minutes earlier. ’She can stay, but what do you want? Off you go now! The tree is small, and it is mine. You can return for your companion in the morning!’

The Introduction was successful, so now all companions can attempt to convince the hunter to let them stay with any skill they want. I let you choose the appropriate skills and/or traits here.

The Tolerance for the encounter is 2, meaning that if the fellowship accumulates 3 failures, they fail the encounter and are kicked out.

Also, feel free to make a Lore check (TN 16) to recognize the tune the old man hummed.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 185]
Author : Vladim
Date : Nov 10 '16 1:30am

http://i1050.photobucket.com/albums/s419/Svorinn/The _bride_zpsh8yahesv.pngThe Bride steps forth, clearly annoyed at the hermit’s dismissal of the fellowship. She does not hide her feelings, her tone clearly indicating frustration and disapproval. 

’You are a Woodman, are you not? I too am one of your folk. We Woodmen have survived in Mirkwood only by helping one another-or have you forgotten it? 

The tree may be small, but we need to stay here and tend to our companion. Give us some hospitality-we shall be off as soon as the storm clears!’

I’ll use Awe and invoke Gruff.   Endurance: 24/24 Fatigue: 20
Hope: 13/16
Shadow points: 1
Advancement points-Personality: 2
Advancement points-Movement: 1
Advancement points-Perception: 1
Advancement points-Survival: 1
Advancement points-Vocation: 1
Advancement points-General: 3
Experience: 6
Fellowship focus: Gramtyng
Fellowship role: Look-out Woman

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 186]
Author : Vladim
Date : Nov 10 '16 1:46am

http://i1050.photobucket.com/albums/s419/Svorinn/hermit_zpsfbfvnsqt.png     http://i1050.photobucket.com/albums/s419/Svorinn/The _bride_zpsh8yahesv.pngThe hermit eyes the Bride intently, squinting as she makes her blunt request. 'You ask for hospitality, but you have not even told me your name! How do I know that you are a Wood-woman? 

The Shadow lurks in this forest-a great darkness waiting to spread. The light drove it away, but it is growing again. That's why I hide in my tree, and stay away from Men. The shadow crawls into the hearts of Men and turns them into beasts worse than orcs. Why, all of you could be servants of the shadow!'

The man lowers his spear again, this time towards the Bride, as if he just had an epiphany. For a moment, the Bride remains silent, as she cannot find words to speak, but she quickly regains her composure.

'I am Idunn, daughter of Theodwin, huntress of Mountain Hall! Lower your spear! We are not servants of the Shadow. We only seek your aid!' 

The strange man lowers his spear, but remains uncertain. 'Speak for yourself, woman! Have your companions no voice?' He eyes the dwarves, making his distrust evident.

Endurance: 24/24 Fatigue: 20
Hope: 13/16
Shadow points: 1
Advancement points-Personality: 2
Advancement points-Movement: 1
Advancement points-Perception: 1
Advancement points-Survival: 1
Advancement points-Vocation: 1
Advancement points-General: 3
Experience: 6
Fellowship focus: Gramtyng
Fellowship role: Look-out Woman

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 187]
Author : Old Overholt
Date : Nov 10 '16 4:48am

http://www.leecarver.com/rpg/nori.jpgNori's fists tighten as the spear is pointed in their direction, the dwarf not having readied his weapon during his cursory search of the Woodsman's encampment. He gives the old man a stern eye, clearly not pleased with being threatened, but allowing Indunn to do the initial pleading and appeasement with the Woodsman. 

When his companion reveals her name - identifying herself not to just one of her people, but the group as a whole - Nori gives her a quick glance, shocked to hear the confession. But the old man still presents a mild threat at this point and draws the dwarf's attention back to him. In a gruff tone, he responds to the inquiry made of him and his cousin. "Aye, we have a voice," Nori starts to say. "But we have axes and swords as well," he further states, making it known they were willing to defend themselves given the clear apprehension the Woodsman has for them. "Didn't think they were necessary, and still don't - we just need to keep our friend alive and we'll be on our way. And you can continue to... 'hide out' here, without anyone else coming to bother you - at least not because of us."

Name: Nori, Son of Glom
Culture: Dwarves of the Lonely Mountain  Standard of Living: Rich
Cultural blessing: Redoubtable (starting Fatigue threshold is Encumbrance rating o fall items carried and then subrtracting favoured Heart score from total)
Calling: Treasure Hunter  Shadow weakness: Dragon-Sickness
Specialties: Smith-Craft, Trading, Burglary
Distinctive features: Bold, Robust
 Body: 6 Heart: 4 Wits: 4
 Body (favoured): 8 Heart (favoured): 7 Wits (favoured): 5

-Common Skills-
[r=1,1]Awe          [r=2,1]Inspire ••     [r=3,1]Persuade  [r=4,1]Personality 
[r=1,2]Athletics •   [r=2,2]Travel •••      [r=3,2]Stealth             [r=4,2]Movement •••
[r=1,3]Awareness  [r=2,3]Insight •••      [r=3,3]Search •••   [r=4,3]Perspective •
[r=1,4]Explore ••         [r=2,4]Healing  [r=3,4]Hunting              [r=4,4]Survival 
[r=1,5]Song •       [r=2,5]Courtesy   [r=3,5]Riddle •••      [r=4,5]Custom 
[r=1,6]Craft •••      [r=2,6]Battle • [r=3,6]Lore               [r=4,6]Vocation •
 

-Weapon Skills- Axes: 2 Short Sword: 1 Dagger: 1 

-Rewards-: 

-Virtues-: Stiff Neck of the Dwarves

-Gear- Long-hafted Axe damage: 5/7 edge: G injury: 18/20 enc: 3
 Dagger damage: 3 edge: G injury: 12 enc: 0
 Coat of Mail enc: 16
 Helm enc: 6 (3)
 Shield enc: 3


Endurance: 32 Starting Endurance: 32 Fatigue from Encumbrance: 20 Fatigue from Travel: 0 Total Fatigue: 20 
Hope: 10 Starting Hope: 10 Temporary Shadow: 2 Permanent Shadow: 0 Total Shadow: 2 
Armour: 4D Headgear: +4 
Parry: 4 Shield: 2 
Damage: 6 Ranged: -
Wisdom: 2 Valour: 1 
Experience: 4 Total Experience: 14 
Fellowship: ? Advancement: 3 Treasure: ? Standing: 0

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 188]
Author : Vladim
Date : Nov 11 '16 7:55am

http://i1050.photobucket.com/albums/s419/Svorinn/hermit_zpsfbfvnsqt.pngNori’s words seem to throw the hermit off a bit. He raises his spear, ensuring that the sharp tip points safely to the roof, and approaches the two dwarves. Then, without warning, You can of course resist his attempt, but he is not being violent or malicious, and the outcome does not change even if you don’t let him pull your beards, as if he is examining a rare exhibit. 

He is eventually satisfied: ’I can see you are no orclings.’ he announces with pride and satisfaction, as he rests his spear against the wall of the hollow tree.

He turns towards Gramtyng, who he presumes to be the leader of the company, and announces his decision. ’Very well! Please step outside for a moment while I consider the matter.’ The Bride protests, but the hermit insists, and thus the fellowship has to, once again, wait in the rain, but only for a short while. 

Companions who try to eavesdrop from the tunnel hear the old man arguing with himself for a little while.

’I have decided that you are not agents of the Shadow!’ he finally proclaims. ’You can stay the night, but you best be off by tomorrow. I am not in the business of running an inn!’

This encounter is essentially over, as the Fellowship got what they wanted-shelter. You can still role-play with the hermit, though, should you want to. This may or may not require a skill check, depending on what you ask of him.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 189]
Author : Vladim
Date : Nov 11 '16 8:22am

The companions finally settle down to rest for a while. Outside, the storm rages on, but as the hours pass, the thunder and rain diminish until nothing but the gentle sound of raindrops breaking against the hollow tree’s roof can be heard.

The hermit does not seem to mind that Arphel is occupying his bed, and his attention soon focuses on the small squirrel cooking on the fire. He voraciously devours the meat, throws the bones in a corner, and then looks at each companion expectedly for a gift of food.

After being allowed to return, Ellerina continues tending to Arphel, making sure to do the best she can for the ranger, under the circumstances. When she finally completes her tasks, she remains silent. Her expression betrays deep sadness, and she remains distant unless addressed.

Belgo, excited by Gramtyng’s promise to be his squire, makes sure to help the horse-lord with every task, ensuring that his clothes are dried, his bedroll is placed nearest the fire and the rain is wiped off his sword, and he in general performs whatever task Gramtyng asks of him.

His father, Baldor, on the other hand, remains with the dwarves. The tension between father and son has eased slightly, perhaps because of the difficult march in the rain. The Bride, too, approaches the dwarves, after she has made preparations for the night. She recalls that she never introduced herself properly to Hepti, as she wasn’t sure she fully trusted the newcomer. Indeed, few dared to travel alone in Mirkwood, and she doubted Hepti’s story, but the spider-slayer had proven himself useful and he was, after all, Nori’s cousin.

http://i1050.photobucket.com/albums/s419/Svorinn/The _bride_zpsh8yahesv.png’Now you know my name.’ she said to the dwarves. ’We are nearing Mountain-Hall with each day, and we will no doubt arrive there soon.’ 

She turns to Hepti, for he was the one she knew less about. ’I have explained to your cousin that my chieftain, Hartfast, is looking for dwarven miners and artisans. We have mines at Mountain-Hall, and he would like dwarves to train our folk and expand our mines. He has promised to me that he’d offer a small holding to every dwarf, in exchange for their advice and expertise. Would you consider his offer?’

@ Lee: I wanted to make the same offer to Nori in the intro thread (in lake-town) but we never got that far… In any case, please assume that the Bride has already made the same offer to Nori, and that Nori can assume to receive a holding in Mountain-Hall, in exchange for his help, if he would accept. Wether he accepts it or not, is up to Nori-perhaps he is still considering it? Perhaps this is his reason for travelling with the fellowship? Just wanted to give your PC some hooks and ties with the Mirkwood setting.

@ everyone: Because of the dry shelter, you can remove the ‘Miserable’ condition if you had it.   Endurance: 24/24 Fatigue: 20
Hope: 13/16
Shadow points: 1
Advancement points-Personality: 2
Advancement points-Movement: 1
Advancement points-Perception: 1
Advancement points-Survival: 1
Advancement points-Vocation: 1
Advancement points-General: 3
Experience: 6
Fellowship focus: Gramtyng
Fellowship role: Look-out Woman

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 190]
Author : CrimsonKnight16
Date : Nov 12 '16 7:31pm

"Aye, I don't mind teachin' yer folks a thing er two. I'm a fighter before a miner, but isn't a dwarf out there doesn't know how to swing a pickaxe." Hepti scratched his beard, thinking more on The Bride's offer. A holding might be useful for supplying his spider hunts. And if his cousin was going, he might as well help out.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 191]
Author : Born on the Bayeux
Date : Nov 15 '16 5:40am

http://i756.photobucket.com/albums/xx208/kookalouris/Bella_zpsoctracah.png (http://www.myth-weavers.com/showthread.php?t=363603)

Bella was grateful to the old man for allowing such squatters in his humble abode.  Many would not be so trusting, especially anywhere near Mirkwood.  He did seem a little Tookish to Bella.  In other words, a little too eccentric to be in the middle of town but likely encourage to live on the fringes.  And here was quite fringe.

Bella could understand.

"I used to help run an inn back in the Shire.  I would like to recompense you for your generousity, good Sir.  My name is Bella, how may I be of service?"


A short post.  I have been busy in Real Life and may be so for a few more days.  I appreciate everyone's patience.

But at the same time, Bella would feel indebted to the lonely stranger for his pressed-upon hospitality.  She is also intensely curious, and this old man intrigues her.  Bella will try and draw him out with small talk but won't approach actual rudeness (Bracegirdles are too well-mannered for that :)).  She will do whatever honest work is appropriate.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 192]
Author : Vladim
Date : Nov 15 '16 9:01am

http://i1050.photobucket.com/albums/s419/Svorinn/The _bride_zpsh8yahesv.png'Good.' says the Bride, and then, turning to Nori, she continues. 

'I think we should arrange an apprenticeship for Belgo, then. Baldor is too old, and will surely get himself and his son killed if he keeps travelling through Mirkwood like this. 

What do you think, master Nori? Master Hepti? Would you be willing to teach him the secrets of your trade? Your holdings will need workers, after all, and if you say Belgo is your apprentice, Hartfast will not question your choice.'

Having overheard Idunn's words, Baldor seems to object, but the woods-woman insists. 'It is true. You are too old to be a trader, and certainly in no shape to be braving Mirkwood anytime soon. This is a great opportunity, provided that Hartfast agrees.'

Belgo, too, does not seem particularly enthusiastic with the idea, but keeps quiet for the time being.

Endurance: 24/24 Fatigue: 20
Hope: 13/16
Shadow points: 1
Advancement points-Personality: 2
Advancement points-Movement: 1
Advancement points-Perception: 1
Advancement points-Survival: 1
Advancement points-Vocation: 1
Advancement points-General: 3
Experience: 6
Fellowship focus: Gramtyng
Fellowship role: Look-out Woman

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 193]
Author : Vladim
Date : Nov 15 '16 9:10am

http://i1050.photobucket.com/albums/s419/Svorinn/hermit_zpsfbfvnsqt.png'Service? I don't need any service!' says the hermit to Bella, and returns to his business without sharing his name. 

However, as soon as Bella produces some food, he returns his attention to her, and eyes the supplies eagerly. His growling stomach indicates that he is starving, and he gladly gobbles up whatever Bella or any other companion offer to him.

The Bride looks on at her fellow Woodsman with a mixture of pity and disgust.

Up to Bella, or anyone else who gives food to him, to continue the interaction.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 194]
Author : Vladim
Date : Nov 17 '16 6:17am

The hermit eventually falls asleep, content with the food offered to him, and the companions soon follow. Ellerina is the last one to fall asleep-she does so next to Arphel.

In the middle of the night, Arphel unexpectedly wakes up, making enough noise to rouse any companion from their sleep. The ranger does not recognize her surroundings, and seems to have just woken up from a long nightmare. ’The woods!’ she says with shaking voice, ’Do not listen to their whispers!’

Ellerina quickly reassures her and, thankful for her recovery, embraces her. But Arphel, though conscious, is still feverish, so Ellerina prepares a cold compress with some rain-water she gathers from outside.

---------------------------------------------------------------

http://i1050.photobucket.com/albums/s419/Svorinn/hermit_zpsfbfvnsqt.pngBy dawn, the storm has passed, and the companions prepare to depart. As they stand outside, saying their good-byes to the half-mad hermit, the latter presents a broken piece of metal-once part of an axe head-covered in runes. He urges Bella to take it.

Passing it to the hobbit’s little hands, he says: ’Take it! The Shadow hides in things, so it is better to have nothing of value, because the darkness could be hiding in a stone, or an egg-shell, or a gemstone or a ring. I’ve carried this axe-head for too long, and now I want you to take it away.’

Mechanics:
1. As stated earlier, Miserable companions can remove this condition.
2. Because of the rest, companions with any Travel fatigue can reduce this by one point.
3. Also, each PC recovers one spent point of Hope, because of Arphel’s recovery.
4. A Craft or Lore check (TN 14) identifies the broken axe-head as belonging to the famous weapon Wolf-biter, a famous weapon of the Woodmen. Woodmen recognize this immediately without a roll (post below...)
5. Everyone receives one Advancement point and one XP for this scene.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 195]
Author : Vladim
Date : Nov 17 '16 6:28am

http://i1050.photobucket.com/albums/s419/Svorinn/The _bride_zpsh8yahesv.pngThe Bride instantly recognizes the artefact of her people and, with it, also the identity of the mad hermit. 

’That is Wolf-biter’ she says, surprised, ’and that makes you Berengar, Warden of Rhosgobel and emissary of the Brown Wizard! Though I was but a child when you visited Mountain-Hall, I can recognize you now!’

The hermit seems as surprised as the Bride when he hears his name. He freezes in panic and becomes white-pale. But when Idunn tries to approach him, he drops his spear and instantly runs towards the dense heart of the forest. 

Because she used her spear against the orcs, the Bride can now remove two points of encumbrance.   Endurance: 24/24 Fatigue: 17
Hope: 14/16
Shadow points: 1
Advancement points-Personality: 2
Advancement points-Movement: 1
Advancement points-Perception: 1
Advancement points-Survival: 1
Advancement points-Vocation: 1
Advancement points-General: 4
Experience: 7
Fellowship focus: Gramtyng
Fellowship role: Look-out Woman

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 196]
Author : Diofant
Date : Nov 17 '16 4:53pm

http://i.imgur.com/PL6i5Hx.pngGramtyng, son of Fastred (http://www.myth-weavers.com/showthread.php?t=364654)

The conversation with the mad hermit out of the way, Gramtyng had taken to taking cleaning his armor and helmet, showing Belgo how to properly maintain the equipment - he doubted it would be particularly difficult, as Baldor had doubtless taught the lad how to take care of ponies for the caravan, and various other equipment, as it was just him and his father. He'd explained the how and the why - most importantly the why, really; he remembered himself as a child, and being told to 'just do something' without being told what it accomplished was infuriating. Metal needed to be cleaned so it would not rust - the sword's blade especially must have been kept well-oiled so that it could be pulled freely of the sheathe. A moment late for that sort of thing could cost you your life - even more so on horseback, where you were not quite as free in your movements. "As for the armor, well..." The Horse-lord explained, grinning: "If you're gonna recklessly charge on horseback, might as well look good while doing it." When Idunn commented about how Baldor was too old, he noddded grimly - the man was a danger to himself like this - and the kid still had his whole life before him. It was sad, really - he was not an old man, but to face Mirkwood at his age made him old...

--------------I--------------

The night passed without any misadventures, but there was some disturbance due to Arphel's fever - Mirkwood's sounds at night were also, of course, not the best accompaniment to a restful sleep, but you did what you had to. "Gotta be able to sleep no matter where, and no matter what time. Tired warrior is a dead warrior." He explained to Belgo as he rolled up his bedroll, preparing to head out. He eyed the little interaction that Idunn and the hermit she called Berengar shared, but merely shrugged and re-adjusted his sword on his belt: This was not entirely his business, after all. If his friend felt she needed his opinion or help, she'd just ask him. Besides... In matters of craftsmanship, Nori and Hepti were probably more useful anyway. That name though... A bit curious. He recalled hearing something about it during the stay in Mountain Hall: The most he could remember was pieces of the song, as the song was entirely about just the sort of thing he did not think should be encouraged: A grim tale of a hero and his axe, ultimately tragedy and doom befalling him. The details of it escaped him... he was certain if he wanted to, he could ask Idunn for details of it, as after all, she grew up there. "We good to continue?"

Ok wel now I feel really bad about Vladim having to talk to himself for 4 posts... Sorry man.

EDIT: Invoked Rhymes of Lore to earn the Second Advancement Point. I also realized I could just make that success a Great Success with my Virtue, so it would work either way. Bu I dont think a Great Success would really do much here.

Name: Gramtyng, son of Fastred

Culture: Rider of Rohan  Standard of Living: Martial
Cultural blessing: Fey Mood
Calling: Scholar  Shadow weakness: Lure of Secrets
Specialties: Minstrelsy, Story-telling, Rhymes of Lore
Distinctive features: Fair, Reckless
 Body: 5 Heart: 5 Wits: 4
 Body (favoured): 8 Heart (favoured): 6 Wits (favoured): 6

-Common Skills-
[r=1,1]Awe ••         [r=2,1]Inspire ••     [r=3,1]Persuade  [r=4,1]Personality •••
[r=1,2]Athletics •••   [r=2,2]Travel ••      [r=3,2]Stealth             [r=4,2]Movement •••
[r=1,3]Awareness • [r=2,3]Insight ••      [r=3,3]Search   [r=4,3]Perspective ••
[r=1,4]Explore •         [r=2,4]Healing  [r=3,4]Hunting ••             [r=4,4]Survival •
[r=1,5]Song ••        [r=2,5]Courtesy •  [r=3,5]Riddle •      [r=4,5]Custom ••
[r=1,6]Craft •      [r=2,6]Battle •• [r=3,6]Lore •              [r=4,6]Vocation ••
 
-Weapon Skills- Sword: 3 Dagger: 1 Bow: 1 -Rewards-: 
-Virtues-: Old Songs And Children Tales
-Gear- Sword damage: 5 edge: 10 injury: 16 enc: 2
 Bow damage: 5 edge: 10 injury: 14 enc: 1
 Dagger damage: 3 edge: G injury: 12 enc: 0
 Leather Corslet enc: 8
 Helm enc: 6
 Shield enc: 3
 Leasere enc: -6

Endurance: 27-5+3+2(Full) Starting Endurance: 27 Fatigue from Encumbrance: 14 Fatigue from Travel: 4 Total Fatigue: 18 
Hope: 12 Starting Hope: 13 Temporary Shadow: 2 Permanent Shadow: 0 Total Shadow: 2 
Armour: 2 Headgear: 4 
Parry: 4 Shield: 2 
Damage: 5 Ranged: 5 
Wisdom: 2 Valour: 1 
Experience: 0 Total Experience: 4 
Fellowship: 6 Advancement: 3 Treasure: 1 Standing: 0
[r=1,1]Horse [r=1,2]Leasere
[r=2,1]Type [r=2,2]Radhors(Palfrey)
[r=3,1]Size [r=3,2]Medium
[r=4,1]Charge Damage [r=4,2]+3
[r=5,1]Riding Modifier [r=5,2]-2
[r=6,1]Encumbrance [r=6,2]-6
[r=7,1]Price [r=7,2]2g
[r=8,1]Status [r=8,2]2

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 197]
Author : Vladim
Date : Nov 18 '16 1:35am

http://i1050.photobucket.com/albums/s419/Svorinn/The _bride_zpsh8yahesv.pngIdunn stands next to the hollow tree's entrance, bewildered, as the hermit makes his escape. Her expression is one of confusion. 'That man was-is-one of the greatest warriors of the Woodmen... what happened to him to drive him mad?' she says, more to herself than anyone else.

After a moment of silent thought, she turns to Bella and explains what must be done. 'We need to bring this to Hartfast,' she explains, referring to Wolfbiter, 'and we must let Radagast know of what happened to Berengar.' With those words, she lifts her travelling equipment and gets ready for the last leg of the journey. At the same time, she ponders on whether the axe found its way to her as a means to defeat the dreaded werewolf...

I forgot in the last post, but can you all give me a Travel check (TN 14) and a Corruption (Wisdom) check (TN16) for the last leg of the journey?   Endurance: 24/24 Fatigue: 19
Hope: 14/16
Shadow points: 1
Advancement points-Personality: 2
Advancement points-Movement: 1
Advancement points-Perception: 1
Advancement points-Survival: 1
Advancement points-Vocation: 1
Advancement points-General: 4
Experience: 7
Fellowship focus: Gramtyng
Fellowship role: Look-out Woman

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 198]
Author : Old Overholt
Date : Nov 18 '16 2:33pm

http://www.leecarver.com/rpg/nori.jpg"He'll need to learn how to repair his armor, especially if the horse-lord is going to teach him how to fight," Nori jokes as Indunn inquires about whether one of the dwarves will allow Belgo to apprentice with one of them. The dwarf casts a knowing and teasing smile towards Gramtyng as he jests about the Rohirrim's battle prowless, completely aware that it's a jab without any teeth and more a means to escape the dreariness of the wet and cramped quarters. His attention shifting back to the Bride, Nori adds, "I can teach him the basics he'll need... enough that if it's something he wants to do, he can continue his learning anywhere."

----------

As the group stands outside and Bella is presented with the axe head, Nori leans over to take a closer look at it as Indunn explains the significance of the weapon. His eyes run over the runes carved into the metal, examining all it's subtle detail, his intrigue more into the design and visible history of the weapon as opposed to its importance to the Woodsmen. Just another piece he can mentally file away in his small treasure trove of patterns to incorporate in future works.

Name: Nori, Son of Glom
Culture: Dwarves of the Lonely Mountain  Standard of Living: Rich
Cultural blessing: Redoubtable (starting Fatigue threshold is Encumbrance rating o fall items carried and then subrtracting favoured Heart score from total)
Calling: Treasure Hunter  Shadow weakness: Dragon-Sickness
Specialties: Smith-Craft, Trading, Burglary
Distinctive features: Bold, Robust
 Body: 6 Heart: 4 Wits: 4
 Body (favoured): 8 Heart (favoured): 7 Wits (favoured): 5

-Common Skills-
[r=1,1]Awe          [r=2,1]Inspire ••     [r=3,1]Persuade  [r=4,1]Personality 
[r=1,2]Athletics •   [r=2,2]Travel •••      [r=3,2]Stealth             [r=4,2]Movement •••
[r=1,3]Awareness  [r=2,3]Insight •••      [r=3,3]Search •••   [r=4,3]Perspective •
[r=1,4]Explore ••         [r=2,4]Healing  [r=3,4]Hunting              [r=4,4]Survival 
[r=1,5]Song •       [r=2,5]Courtesy   [r=3,5]Riddle •••      [r=4,5]Custom 
[r=1,6]Craft •••      [r=2,6]Battle • [r=3,6]Lore               [r=4,6]Vocation •
 

-Weapon Skills- Axes: 2 Short Sword: 1 Dagger: 1 

-Rewards-: 

-Virtues-: Stiff Neck of the Dwarves

-Gear- Long-hafted Axe damage: 5/7 edge: G injury: 18/20 enc: 3
 Dagger damage: 3 edge: G injury: 12 enc: 0
 Coat of Mail enc: 16
 Helm enc: 6 (3)
 Shield enc: 3


Endurance: 32 Starting Endurance: 32 Fatigue from Encumbrance: 20 Fatigue from Travel: 0 Total Fatigue: 20 
Hope: 10 Starting Hope: 10 Temporary Shadow: 2 Permanent Shadow: 0 Total Shadow: 2 
Armour: 4D Headgear: +4 
Parry: 4 Shield: 2 
Damage: 6 Ranged: -
Wisdom: 2 Valour: 1 
Experience: 5 Total Experience: 15 
Fellowship: ? Advancement: 4 Treasure: ? Standing: 0

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 199]
Author : Born on the Bayeux
Date : Nov 19 '16 5:13am

http://i756.photobucket.com/albums/xx208/kookalouris/Bella_zpsoctracah.png (http://www.myth-weavers.com/showthread.php?t=363603)

Bella was terribly touched by the hermit's gift.  Now revealed as Berengar, a former Warden of some reknown, Bella almost dropped the axe-head, its weight now more than physical.  The gift was given with such deliberate import, there was no honorable way it could be refused.  "Our gratitude, Master Berengar, this shall be borne by those of our fellowship best able to reclaim its purpose."

But there was still the matter of the lonely hermit, a shade of what had been so much more, Bella could hear the respect and sadness in the Bride's voice.  It was not her place to speak for the Fellowship when it could speak for itself.  But Bella babbled from blind compassion rather than wise contemplation, "Master Berenger, would you wish to travel with us back to the company of other Men?"


I believe the most respectful choice is this situation would be to offer Wolf-Biter to one of the two dwarves, who know how to appreciate a good axe.  But Bella and Vladim would know the ettiquitte better than I so I will accept Vladim's thoughts if Bella would have a better idea.

It was presumptuous of Bella to offer Berengar escort without consulting with the Fellowship first.  But it is very much in character for the soft-hearted Hobbit.  Feel free to chew her out IC. :danceorc:

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 200]
Author : Vladim
Date : Nov 20 '16 9:21am

Sorry, I should have made it clear that the hermit is not available for bantering, as he has already run away:

The hermit seems as surprised as the Bride when he hears his name. He freezes in panic and becomes white-pale. But when Idunn tries to approach him, he drops his spear and instantly runs towards the dense heart of the forest.

But you are free to chase after him if you want.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 201]
Author : Vladim
Date : Nov 21 '16 1:49am

The few days after the storm see the sun rising on warm mornings, unusually so for this time of year. Even though the fellowship travels under the shadow of Mirkwood, all companions feel the temperature rising, and the heat becomes exhausting, especially towards noon. Sometimes, through gaps in the canopy, some companions can see the open sky and scorching sun above. In the filtered sunlight, they also see stones scored with ruins, not far from the elf-path, or piled rocks, that show that Men once lived in these parts of the forest.

An discreet presence follows the company, and companions occasionally catch glimpses of eyes looking back at them. It is the hermit, who for the first day keeps close to the companions, but whenever one of them cries to him or tries to approach him, he scurries away into the forest. On the second day, he appears less frequently, and by the third day he is nowhere to be seen. 

On the third day, towards midday, the accumulated exhaustion of the entire journey starts to exact its toll on the company. A sense of fatigue and sleepiness seems to creep out of the ground and overwhelm them. Flies buzz all around, and water trickling from a hundred rills sounds like a half-whispered lullaby. The majority of the fellowship, including Baldor, Belgo and the wounded Arphel, start feeling downhearted and worn out, so the companions agree to stop for a midday break. A place not far from the path is chosen and, after a quick meal, most companions decide to take a nap. Those who failed their Wisdom checks-Gram, Nori, Bella and maybe Hepti-fall asleep and start having those dreams.

As Gramtyng dozes off, a distant sound fills his ears. At first it is faint, but as his sleep grows deeper, the song becomes clearer. It is a beautiful tune, sang in the tongues of the elves-by far the most beautiful that the horse-lord has ever heard. Gramtyng becomes convinced that the fair elven maiden singing it cannot be far. 

The hypnotic song, now becoming more and more audible, seems to be coming from behind some old trees, just a few yards from the campsite. Gramtyng feels himself drawn towards the location…   Nori quickly sinks into a deep, but restless sleep. Something about the ruins that he saw throughout the journey seemed familiar, yet he could not remember. But as his sleep becomes deeper, he slowly remembers what it was. Dwarves dwelt in these lands alongside men, many ages ago, yet they abandoned the old forest when the Necromancer’s evil influence spread. They left their treasures behind-piles of coin and weapons and armour of great craftsmanship, that has not been matched since…

Nori feels himself drawn towards some old trees, not far from the campsite. He senses that a cache, forgotten by its long-dead owners, lies there, and in it great treasures can be found…   Bella quickly falls asleep, as the fatigue of the journey is overwhelming. As soon as she closes her eyes, she dreams of all the civilizations that once prospered here-great kingdoms of Men that are no more. In her dreams, the ruins that remain become great palaces; the piles of stone great castles, and it is so vivid that she can even envision the Men themselves, with their wonderful, embroiled clothes and beautiful jewellery.

As she slowly wakes up, she is drawn to a patch of old trees, not far from the campsite, for in her dream, it was there that the greatest palace stood. While the palace is probably no more, she is eager to see its ruins…   If Hepti fails his corruption check, he dreams about a den of spiders being near the campsite, and feels compelled to go slay his hated foes...   It is up to you guys if you decide to resist the temptation to explore, or to sleep-walk towards the trees. I will not punish you for giving in, as Belgo and Idunn’s shouting (see below) will eventually break the spell and wake everyone up. This is just an opportunity to further develop your characters.

http://i1050.photobucket.com/albums/s419/Svorinn/The _bride_zpsh8yahesv.pngIdunn’s shouts quickly break the spell of the ancient woods over the companions, and they are all roused from their half-sleep to see Belgo running into the forest, crying out ’Mother!’ and clasping his talisman. 

’Get back, child!’ shouts Idunn, and runs after him, trying to catch him.

Endurance: 24/24 Fatigue: 19
Hope: 14/16
Shadow points: 1
Advancement points-Personality: 2
Advancement points-Movement: 1
Advancement points-Perception: 1
Advancement points-Survival: 1
Advancement points-Vocation: 1
Advancement points-General: 4
Experience: 7
Fellowship focus: Gramtyng
Fellowship role: Look-out Woman

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 202]
Author : Old Overholt
Date : Nov 22 '16 1:33pm

http://www.leecarver.com/rpg/nori.jpgNori's eyes shoot open as his dream abruptly concludes with him turning about a tree to spot something glimmering. He didn't quite see what it was, but he knew it was something of rare quality. Pushing himself up off the ground, he blinks his eyes as he looks about the campsite, his eyes scanning the trees - perhaps wondering if someone was watching them from the darkness. It's then he sees a patch of trees identical to those in his dreams. Narrowing his eyes to focus, he runs his tongue along the inside of his mouth and swallows, his anxiety quickly starting to build.

Now pressing his hands to the ground and rising to his feet, the dwarf quickly smooths out his clothes as he proceeds in the direction of the trees. His walk is heavy-footed, his body less awake than his mind. The dwarf is cautious to check his surroundings, not just for natural pitfalls and obstructions, but creatures as well. Step-by-step, he draws closer and closer to the trees from his dreams. "It can't be," he murmurs quietly to himself as he draws closer to a thick trunk identical to the one near the close of his dream. And just as he's about to turn the corner, he hears Idunn shout.

The Woodswoman's voice breaks Nori's focus, causing him to jerk his head in her direction. Searching for whatever has caused her to cry out, he see's a small figure running away from the camp. Gritting his teeth, Nori exchanges a few glances between Idunn and the thicket, as if trying to weigh which one he wanted to tend to first. Eventually, his "better" side appeals to his senses and the dwarf turns his body away from the trees. It's then he proceeds to jog towards Idunn, calling out as he approaches, "What's going on? Who... Belgo?"

Name: Nori, Son of Glom
Culture: Dwarves of the Lonely Mountain  Standard of Living: Rich
Cultural blessing: Redoubtable (starting Fatigue threshold is Encumbrance rating o fall items carried and then subrtracting favoured Heart score from total)
Calling: Treasure Hunter  Shadow weakness: Dragon-Sickness
Specialties: Smith-Craft, Trading, Burglary
Distinctive features: Bold, Robust
 Body: 6 Heart: 4 Wits: 4
 Body (favoured): 8 Heart (favoured): 7 Wits (favoured): 5

-Common Skills-
[r=1,1]Awe          [r=2,1]Inspire ••     [r=3,1]Persuade  [r=4,1]Personality 
[r=1,2]Athletics •   [r=2,2]Travel •••      [r=3,2]Stealth             [r=4,2]Movement •••
[r=1,3]Awareness  [r=2,3]Insight •••      [r=3,3]Search •••   [r=4,3]Perspective •
[r=1,4]Explore ••         [r=2,4]Healing  [r=3,4]Hunting              [r=4,4]Survival 
[r=1,5]Song •       [r=2,5]Courtesy   [r=3,5]Riddle •••      [r=4,5]Custom 
[r=1,6]Craft •••      [r=2,6]Battle • [r=3,6]Lore               [r=4,6]Vocation ••
 

-Weapon Skills- Axes: 2 Short Sword: 1 Dagger: 1 

-Rewards-: 

-Virtues-: Stiff Neck of the Dwarves

-Gear- Long-hafted Axe damage: 5/7 edge: G injury: 18/20 enc: 3
 Dagger damage: 3 edge: G injury: 12 enc: 0
 Coat of Mail enc: 16
 Helm enc: 6 (3)
 Shield enc: 3


Endurance: 32 Starting Endurance: 32 Fatigue from Encumbrance: 20 Fatigue from Travel: 0 Total Fatigue: 20 
Hope: 10 Starting Hope: 10 Temporary Shadow: 3 Permanent Shadow: 0 Total Shadow: 2 
Armour: 4D Headgear: +4 
Parry: 4 Shield: 2 
Damage: 6 Ranged: -
Wisdom: 2 Valour: 1 
Experience: 5 Total Experience: 15 
Fellowship: ? Advancement: 4 Treasure: ? Standing: 0

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 203]
Author : Vladim
Date : Nov 22 '16 3:20pm

http://i1050.photobucket.com/albums/s419/Svorinn/The _bride_zpsh8yahesv.pngThe Bride pauses only for a moment, enough to explain in no uncertain terms what has just happened. 'The boy,' she says, 'he ran away, as if posessed by some spirit! Come, let us find him before he runs into trouble.' 

She points to the direction-Nori feels-nay, he knows with absolute certainty-that something of great significance to him, related to his vivid dream, lies in that direction. Yet the Bride does not wait for the dwarf, or anyone else for that matter, to explain her what they just dreamt of. She simply runs after the lad, whether any other companions follow or not.

Endurance: 24/24 Fatigue: 19
Hope: 14/16
Shadow points: 1
Advancement points-Personality: 2
Advancement points-Movement: 1
Advancement points-Perception: 1
Advancement points-Survival: 1
Advancement points-Vocation: 1
Advancement points-General: 4
Experience: 7
Fellowship focus: Gramtyng
Fellowship role: Look-out Woman

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 204]
Author : Born on the Bayeux
Date : Nov 24 '16 5:23am

http://i756.photobucket.com/albums/xx208/kookalouris/Bella_zpsoctracah.png (http://www.myth-weavers.com/showthread.php?t=363603)

Bella knew that there was no reason to expect her dream palace to be in that tangle of trees.  But if there had even been a ghost of such majesty and riches, it was worth exploring.  She wasn't even aware that her bare hobbit feet were carrying her in that direction.  And if there was no trace of what she had expected, she mused dreamily, there would be something even more precious; a mystery.

It was Indunn and Belgo's shouting that awoke her from her spell.  How long had they been shouting?  Now with a clearer head, Bella found herself much closer to that strange copse that any cautious hobbit had any reason to be...


My apologies for my delay in responding.  Real-life has piled on me like the orcs of Moria.

As far as Bella talking to the (it turns out) retreating Berengar, we can ignore it or assume that Bella might have asked and been rebuffed later.  It's not like Bella could have forced Berengar to follow the Fellowship and she is too much Bracegirdle to be rudely insistent.

Bella can be woke by her friends anywhere between the safety of the Fellowship and the threat of the trees as suits Vladim.  When more lucid, Bella's first thought will be to protect Belgo.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 205]
Author : Diofant
Date : Nov 25 '16 2:06am

http://i.imgur.com/PL6i5Hx.pngGramtyng, son of Fastred (http://www.myth-weavers.com/showthread.php?t=364654)

The next part of the trip was quite uneventful. They trudged along the path, with the madman that sheltered them lurking in bushes - sometimes he spotted him, sometimes someone else. It was at first a bit unnerving, but then merely annoying. If he'd wanted to travel with them, he could simply have asked; but then again... Idunn claimed the man was a hero, and now had been reduced to THIS. How? Why? What manner of evil force could have cowed someone like that into a mad hermit who was scared of his own name? He would have to inquire later... But for now, Gramtyng tried to give Belgo as much attention as he could, feeling that it would have been bad of him to dissuade the enthusiastic boy from his chosen path. 

On the third day, the air grew warm and somehow heavy, a spring's gentle song resounding in the bard's ears like the best music of the Golden hall. The grass and shade were inviting, enticing him to lie down, have some sleep, and forget about the pain in his legs. The others seemed to have felt the same way, and before long, they made camp and rested. As he dozed off, leaning against the tree, he dreamt of a song unlike any other: an elf-song, though he'd heard precious few to recognize it, and knew not the language, something he'd been meaning to try to resolve. And ah, with such a beautiful voice, the maiden singing it would be even more beautiful! He'd simply had to see her, to at least express his gratitude! The bard, even in his dreams, had no illusions that his own appearance, despite being held as quite handsome by most women he knew and who cared about that sort of thing - would ultimately be of no interest to an elven woman. After all, he was no Beren. 

Even waking up, the gentle caress of the song continued to echo within his ears, and, smiling like an idiot, he began walking in the direction he was certain it was coming from. He was drawn out from the dream by Idunn's voice - one which he normally found quite pleasing to listen to, and now sounded like the cawing of a crow. He shook his head, slapping himself slightly, before he could process what she was saying. Belgo ran off. What was happening? Some... trick? Belgo had run off in the same direction... And even Nori was walking there? Strange. Bizarre. But right now, it didnt matter; he had to help Belgo. Without another word, Gramtyng dashed off into the bushes, towards the place Idunn pointed, where his squire-to-be had vanished to.

Name: Gramtyng, son of Fastred

Culture: Rider of Rohan  Standard of Living: Martial
Cultural blessing: Fey Mood
Calling: Scholar  Shadow weakness: Lure of Secrets
Specialties: Minstrelsy, Story-telling, Rhymes of Lore
Distinctive features: Fair, Reckless
 Body: 5 Heart: 5 Wits: 4
 Body (favoured): 8 Heart (favoured): 6 Wits (favoured): 6

-Common Skills-
[r=1,1]Awe ••         [r=2,1]Inspire ••     [r=3,1]Persuade  [r=4,1]Personality •••
[r=1,2]Athletics •••   [r=2,2]Travel ••      [r=3,2]Stealth             [r=4,2]Movement •••
[r=1,3]Awareness • [r=2,3]Insight ••      [r=3,3]Search   [r=4,3]Perspective ••
[r=1,4]Explore •         [r=2,4]Healing  [r=3,4]Hunting ••             [r=4,4]Survival •
[r=1,5]Song ••        [r=2,5]Courtesy •  [r=3,5]Riddle •      [r=4,5]Custom ••
[r=1,6]Craft •      [r=2,6]Battle •• [r=3,6]Lore •              [r=4,6]Vocation ••
 
-Weapon Skills- Sword: 3 Dagger: 1 Bow: 1 -Rewards-: 
-Virtues-: Old Songs And Children Tales
-Gear- Sword damage: 5 edge: 10 injury: 16 enc: 2
 Bow damage: 5 edge: 10 injury: 14 enc: 1
 Dagger damage: 3 edge: G injury: 12 enc: 0
 Leather Corslet enc: 8
 Helm enc: 6
 Shield enc: 3
 Leasere enc: -6

Endurance: 27-5+3+2(Full) Starting Endurance: 27 Fatigue from Encumbrance: 14 Fatigue from Travel: 4 Total Fatigue: 18 
Hope: 12 Starting Hope: 13 Temporary Shadow: 2 Permanent Shadow: 0 Total Shadow: 2 
Armour: 2 Headgear: 4 
Parry: 4 Shield: 2 
Damage: 5 Ranged: 5 
Wisdom: 2 Valour: 1 
Experience: 0 Total Experience: 4 
Fellowship: 6 Advancement: 3 Treasure: 1 Standing: 0
[r=1,1]Horse [r=1,2]Leasere
[r=2,1]Type [r=2,2]Radhors(Palfrey)
[r=3,1]Size [r=3,2]Medium
[r=4,1]Charge Damage [r=4,2]+3
[r=5,1]Riding Modifier [r=5,2]-2
[r=6,1]Encumbrance [r=6,2]-6
[r=7,1]Price [r=7,2]2g
[r=8,1]Status [r=8,2]2

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 206]
Author : Vladim
Date : Nov 28 '16 2:14am

Either guided by their dreams and intuitions, or because of following Belgo and the Bride, the companions all walk to the same location: a thick forest, not too far from the path, that looks dark and foreboding. As the company approaches, they see Belgo, entranced near the edge of a circle of stones that looks as if they once formed the lips of a well. Thick roots surround it, and an old, rotten rope, tied to one of the branches above, descends into the hole. 

http://i1050.photobucket.com/albums/s419/Svorinn/Well_zpscffcjujf.png

Belgo remains still for a few moments, and even if the companions try to warn him or call him, he remains oblivious. Then, without warning, he falls into the well, making no sound… Within moments, more than a dozen tentacles that look like roots and branches issue forth from the well with great force, and attack every living thing that is close to the well.

Ok, so I’d like to speed this combat scene up, because combat in PbP takes long, and because I don’t necessarily want to read a blow-by-blow account of the whole thing. Therefore, I’d like to resolve the mechanics OOC before we all write a summary of what happens.

For this reason, it would be great if you could give me a summary of the strategy/tactics of your PC.  This should include the following:
(1) Starting stance (Forward/Open/Defensive/Rearward)
(2) Actions (attack and weapon/mode of attack, or other action)
(3) Condition(s) for changing stance
(4) What your PC does if grabbed by a tentacle (this foe can grab PCs, and you can attempt to escape with an athletics check, or keep fighting (but your parry will be reduced, and you cannot change stances while grabbed)
(5) What will your PC do when Weary or Wounded
(6) What are you willing to spend Hope for
(7) At which point your PC will consider retreating

Then, please post some dice rolls, ideally enough for 5 rounds, including attacks but also other checks that may be useful (other actions, Athletics checks to escape tentacles, Protection rolls in case they are needed). I will post the Bride’s tactics below as an example.

The goal is not to punish PCs, so if anything dramatic occurs (i.e. chance someone dies) I will pause the flow one round before this occurs and go back to round-by-round combat. Additionally, I will post the enemy’s stats and strategy, for greater transparency. 

This is just an experiment, so if the majority of you object strongly to this approach, please let me know and I will do this the standard way (round-by-round).

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 207]
Author : Vladim
Date : Nov 28 '16 2:17am

http://i1050.photobucket.com/albums/s419/Svorinn/Thing_in_well_zpssvalbu2a.png

The Thing in the Well will start by attacking companions in a close combat stance (Forward, Open, Defensive). It will focus on (1) anyone who does damage; (2) those in forward; (3) those in Open; (5) those in Defensive.
If it succeeds in hitting a PC, it will apply its Seize Victim ability to Strangle them.
If reduced to half endurance or wounded, it will get desperate and start spending Hate to attack all companions in close combat stance.   Idunn will: 
•    Start in Forward and attack the creature with her axe (two-handed). 
•    If her endurance falls to 10 points, or is she is wounded, she will switch to Defensive stance and use her axe one-handed (with a buckler in the other hand).
•    If she is seized by a tentacle, she will attempt escaping with an Athletics check, and continue doing so until she succeeds.
•    If Weary (but not wounded and with endurance > 10), she will attempt to use Intimidate foe from forward once, before resuming her attacks.
•    She will spend Hope to succeed at an otherwise failed Protection test, or to do extra damage (+6) on an Extraordinary success with her axe.
•    She will try to escape combat only if it is clear that there is no hope in winning (multiple companions lose too much endurance and/or are wounded), but only after explicitly saying it to the company, and will try to allow weaker companions to escape first.

   Arphel and Ellerina will stay in Rearward and shoot arrows at the creature. If there aren’t enough companions in close combat, Arphel, who is Wounded and Weary, will not shoot. They will only enter melee if the company is in grave danger, as they feel they owe their lives to their companions.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 208]
Author : Born on the Bayeux
Date : Nov 28 '16 5:13am

Vladim, Thank you for this experimental combat scenario.  As a GM myself, I am looking for ways to speed up combat and I am also looking forward to seeing how this test plays out.

In general, Bella wishes to protect Belgo and realizes that the source of the tentacles in deep inside the well and cannot be damaged by archery from this position.  Bella will try to get to a point where she can at least determine Belgo's current circumstances.  Likely, this is at least peering into the well.

In game terms, this translates to:

1.  A Forward stance.  Bella's main concern is to locate Belgo as fast as possible, sacrificing (perhaps unwisely) safety for speed.
2. Bella is running towards the well.  She will stop to fight the tentacles with her dagger if she can't otherwise dodge them.  Depending on circumstances, this could mean five rolls of Athletics and/or Dagger in any combination.
3. Bella will not change her Forward Stance as long as she believes there is the merest chance she can save Belgo.  Either Belgo would have to be killed or Bella would have to absolutely conclude she could not help him.  In that case, she will change her stance to protect her companions, or otherwise to escape.
4. If Bella is grabbed by a tentacle, she will alternate Athletics and Dagger rolls in a desparate attempt to be free.
5. Bella keeps fighting, weary or wounded, as long as there is a chance (she believes) she can help Belgo.
6. Bella will spend Hope to escape a tentacle after three rounds or if she believes her next roll stops her or a Companion from dying.
7. Bella won't retreat if it would leave a Companion in danger.  If there is no one in danger, she will retreat.

I have probably misunderstood or just plain missed something.  And any combat can lead to choices no one could forsee.  So feel to roll or act for Bella if it seems right, Vladim. :danceorc:

I will put the dice rolls in the dice thread.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 209]
Author : CrimsonKnight16
Date : Nov 29 '16 10:17pm

Sorry for my bouts of inactivity everyone. It's the last few weeks of my last semester of college, so I am pretty swamped with work. Just wanted to let you know that I'm not inactive from lack of interest.

Being the crazy son-of-a-gun that he is, Hepti is going to charge right in and start hacking away. The best way to help Belgo right now is to kill that thing.

1. Forward stance. Main priority is doing as much damage to the tentacles as possible, especially those that are attacking other people. He's trying to damage this thing enough that it runs away or hides.
2. If someone gets grabbed he will immediately try to chop off the tentacle grabbing them.
3. If he gets grabbed he will try athletics to break out if he cannot hit it with his axe.
4. If he falls below 10 endurance or is wounded, will switch to defensive stance and attempt to get out of the tentacles' range until recovered.
5. If a companion is in danger of being killed, Hepti will ignore the other rules and attempt to help them to safety, whether that means defending them from tentacles or carrying them to safety.
6. Will spend hope on a failed protection roll.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 210]
Author : Diofant
Date : Nov 30 '16 3:44am

http://i.imgur.com/PL6i5Hx.pngGramtyng, son of Fastred (http://www.myth-weavers.com/showthread.php?t=364654)


1) Starting Stance: Open. 
2) Combat Strategy: Attacking with a Sword.
3) Condition to change Stance: Wounded, move to Defensive.
4) If Grappled: Escape with Athletics.
5) If Wounded: Defensive. If Weary: Start using Inspire with the Virtue to rally the companions. Also do this if at least two companions have taken a beating(A bit before they're Weary)
6) Protection tests, if necessary to hit with a Piercing Blow, Protect Companion on Idunn, or if great success on inspire.
7) Will not, unless Belgo is rescued. If someone else is left in danger, he will do his utmost to save them, especially Idunn. In the worst case, he will give his life to let the rest of his companions get away.

Name: Gramtyng, son of Fastred

Culture: Rider of Rohan  Standard of Living: Martial
Cultural blessing: Fey Mood
Calling: Scholar  Shadow weakness: Lure of Secrets
Specialties: Minstrelsy, Story-telling, Rhymes of Lore
Distinctive features: Fair, Reckless
 Body: 5 Heart: 5 Wits: 4
 Body (favoured): 8 Heart (favoured): 6 Wits (favoured): 6

-Common Skills-
[r=1,1]Awe ••○○○○         [r=2,1]Inspire ••○○○○     [r=3,1]Persuade ○○○○○○  [r=4,1]Personality •••/○
[r=1,2]Athletics •••○○○   [r=2,2]Travel ••○○○○      [r=3,2]Stealth ○○○○○○             [r=4,2]Movement •••/○
[r=1,3]Awareness •○○○○○ [r=2,3]Insight ••○○○○      [r=3,3]Search ○○○○○○   [r=4,3]Perspective ••○/○
[r=1,4]Explore •○○○○○         [r=2,4]Healing ○○○○○○  [r=3,4]Hunting ••○○○○            [r=4,4]Survival •○○/○
[r=1,5]Song ••○○○○        [r=2,5]Courtesy •○○○○○  [r=3,5]Riddle •○○○○○      [r=4,5]Custom ••○/○
[r=1,6]Craft •○○○○○      [r=2,6]Battle ••○○○○ [r=3,6]Lore •○○○○○              [r=4,6]Vocation ••○/○
 
-Weapon Skills- Sword •••○○○ Dagger •○○○○○ Bow •○○○○○ -Rewards-: 
-Virtues-: Old Songs And Children Tales
-Gear- Sword damage: 5 edge: 10 injury: 16 enc: 2
 Bow damage: 5 edge: 10 injury: 14 enc: 1
 Dagger damage: 3 edge: G injury: 12 enc: 0
 Leather Corslet enc: 8
 Helm enc: 6
 Shield enc: 3
 Leasere enc: -6

Endurance: 27-5+3+2(Full) Starting Endurance: 27 Fatigue from Encumbrance: 14 Fatigue from Travel: 4 Total Fatigue: 18 
Hope: 12 Starting Hope: 13 Temporary Shadow: 2 Permanent Shadow: 0 Total Shadow: 2 
Armour: 2 Headgear: 4 
Parry: 4 Shield: 2 
Damage: 5 Ranged: 5 
Wisdom: 2 Valour: 1 
Experience: 0 Total Experience: 4 
Fellowship: 6 Advancement: 3 Treasure: 1 Standing: 0
[r=1,1]Horse [r=1,2]Leasere
[r=2,1]Type [r=2,2]Radhors(Palfrey)
[r=3,1]Size [r=3,2]Medium
[r=4,1]Charge Damage [r=4,2]+3
[r=5,1]Riding Modifier [r=5,2]-2
[r=6,1]Encumbrance [r=6,2]-6
[r=7,1]Price [r=7,2]2g
[r=8,1]Status [r=8,2]2

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 211]
Author : Old Overholt
Date : Dec 1 '16 1:36pm

http://www.leecarver.com/rpg/nori.jpgI'm not sure if I've covered everything appropriately since I'm still not entirely comfortable with the combat system, but here's what I'm thinking based on @Vlad's request and what I've see others put forth...

 Starting stance: Open
 Actions: Is there a tree nearby that could be chopped/pushed down in the thing's direction within three or so rounds? If no, attack with axe (two-handed).
 Conditions for changing stance: Defensive if wounded or endurance drops to 10 
 If grappled: Escape with athletics 
 If weary: Use inspire to urge companions onward
 If wounded: Take defensive stance.
 For hope: Protect companion from dying, especially Bella 
 Retreat: Only when all fellowship/party members are safe and/or unsaveable 

Name: Nori, Son of Glom
Culture: Dwarves of the Lonely Mountain  Standard of Living: Rich
Cultural blessing: Redoubtable (starting Fatigue threshold is Encumbrance rating o fall items carried and then subrtracting favoured Heart score from total)
Calling: Treasure Hunter  Shadow weakness: Dragon-Sickness
Specialties: Smith-Craft, Trading, Burglary
Distinctive features: Bold, Robust
 Body: 6 Heart: 4 Wits: 4
 Body (favoured): 8 Heart (favoured): 7 Wits (favoured): 5

-Common Skills-
[r=1,1]Awe          [r=2,1]Inspire ••     [r=3,1]Persuade  [r=4,1]Personality 
[r=1,2]Athletics •   [r=2,2]Travel •••      [r=3,2]Stealth             [r=4,2]Movement •••
[r=1,3]Awareness  [r=2,3]Insight •••      [r=3,3]Search •••   [r=4,3]Perspective •
[r=1,4]Explore ••         [r=2,4]Healing  [r=3,4]Hunting              [r=4,4]Survival 
[r=1,5]Song •       [r=2,5]Courtesy   [r=3,5]Riddle •••      [r=4,5]Custom 
[r=1,6]Craft •••      [r=2,6]Battle • [r=3,6]Lore               [r=4,6]Vocation ••
 

-Weapon Skills- Axes: 2 Short Sword: 1 Dagger: 1 

-Rewards-: 

-Virtues-: Stiff Neck of the Dwarves

-Gear- Long-hafted Axe damage: 5/7 edge: G injury: 18/20 enc: 3
 Dagger damage: 3 edge: G injury: 12 enc: 0
 Coat of Mail enc: 16
 Helm enc: 6 (3)
 Shield enc: 3


Endurance: 32 Starting Endurance: 32 Fatigue from Encumbrance: 20 Fatigue from Travel: 0 Total Fatigue: 20 
Hope: 10 Starting Hope: 10 Temporary Shadow: 3 Permanent Shadow: 0 Total Shadow: 2 
Armour: 4D Headgear: +4 
Parry: 4 Shield: 2 
Damage: 6 Ranged: -
Wisdom: 2 Valour: 1 
Experience: 5 Total Experience: 15 
Fellowship: ? Advancement: 4 Treasure: ? Standing: 0

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 212]
Author : Vladim
Date : Dec 2 '16 3:28am

Idunn hits the creature for 7 damage but is hit for 5 damage, and is seized by a tentacle. Endurance 19/24, and becomes Weary.
Ellerina and Arphel miss.
Bella climbs down the well but is immediately hit for 9 damage, and seized by a tentacle. Endurance 14/23.
Hepti hits for 15 damage, but is also hit for 9 damage and seized by a tentacle. Endurance 23/32.
Gramtyng does not hit, but can activate Fey Mood if he so wishes. He is also hit for 5 damage, and is seized by a tentacle. Endurance 22/27
Nori hits for 7 damage but is hit for 5 damage, and is seized by a tentacle. Endurance 27/32

The creature’s endurance is 16/45, and Hate points are 5/6.

Idunn attempts to escape from the tentacle but fails.
Ellerina and Arphel miss.
Bella attacks the tentacle with her short sword, dealing 5 damage and wounding the creature.
Hepti hits for 15 damage.
Gramtyng escapes with Athletics; because of his great success, he can attack immediately, dealing 5 damage.
Nori tries to escape with Athletics, but fails.

The creature, having been reduced to 0 endurance AND Wounded, is slain. End of Combat scene.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 213]
Author : Born on the Bayeux
Date : Dec 2 '16 6:50am

http://i756.photobucket.com/albums/xx208/kookalouris/Bella_zpsoctracah.png (http://www.myth-weavers.com/showthread.php?t=363603)

The abomination was dead finally.  Bella cursed that such a thing had ever been alive.  Her own short sword was sticking out of a tentacle, like a oversized shrimp skewer from the coast of her beloved Shire.  Oh, if I ever get to see old Bilbo again, for once I will have a tale to tell.

The heat of battle was fading from Bella now, leading to a weariness and pain beyond even its dissipation.  She put a hand to her torso and the palm was now bloodied.  She looked to make sure Belgo was safe, perhaps even crying out for his welfare before slumping over and all became darkness...


Not having a word for adrenalin in Middle-Earth, 'heat of battle' suffices.  I am working on a mini-stats sheet and it should be a permanent addition to my posts in a few days.  In the meantime, as a stopgap, Bella's masthead is a link to her character thread (the first post being her character sheet).  If not exactly unconscious, Bella has just momentarily passed out to add a dramatic (and literal) fade to black...

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 214]
Author : CrimsonKnight16
Date : Dec 3 '16 4:52am

Hepti wiped the sweat from his brow and rested his axe on his shoulder. It wasn't quite as satisfying as spider slaying, but it was still a good fight. "You ok Nori?" he called to his cousin, who had spent most of the fight struggling in a tentacle, "Thing hits bloody hard doesn't it? Good thing we hit harder!" Hepti drew his arms out wide, exposing his chest to initiate a victory chest bump with Nori.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 215]
Author : Vladim
Date : Dec 3 '16 5:01am

Idunn waded into the fight with little consideration for her own safety, casting her shield aside so that she could cut down the foul creature's tentacles more effectively. Out of the corner of her eye, she noticed the little hobbit throw herself into the well, but assumed that her companion was seized by the same madness that had taken hold of Belgo. She struck one tentacle with her axe, but there were many, and though one fell, another quickly seized her, and started squeezing...

Yet her companions were cutting down many, especially Hepti who, although restricted, cut down several of the thing's appendages. Unbeknown to the Bride, Bella had placed herself near the heart of the creature, and with a thrust of her small, sharp blade, inflicted a viscious wound upon it. The gnarled tentacles immediately released all companions, and slithered back into the well, to forever dissapear beneath the mud...

As stated elsewhere, end of Combat scene. 3 XP for everyone.

This is essentially the end of the adventure. You can still do some RPing, try to revive Belgo, etc, but basically all goes well from now. I'll make more posts to role-play NPCs (if necessary) and introduce the new PCs, but what happens next is essentially up to you (though as far as I understand several PCs plan to winter in Mountain Hall for plot-related reasons).

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 216]
Author : Vladim
Date : Dec 5 '16 10:32pm

The journey proceeds uneventfully after the encounter with the Thing in the Well. Belgo is revived and, shedding bitter tears, admits that he dreamt of his mother calling him. Baldor recalls his own vivid intuitions, that overwhelmed him after drinking from the Enchanted Stream, and father and son gain new understanding of each other's experiences in Mirkwood, and are thus reunited. Baldor is convinced that he may be getting too old for traveling through the forest, and accepts Idunn's offer to stay in Mountain Hall. Meanwhile, Belgo's burning desire for adventure is not extinguished, but it is now tempered by new wisdom obtained during the journey.

----------------------------------------
http://i1050.photobucket.com/albums/s419/Svorinn/forest_gate_zps6hixsf1w.png

Although worn from the long journey, the companions reach the Forest Gate after a few days, and the end of their journey. The company emerges into the blazing sunlight and a refreshing breeze. From here, Baldor intends to travel south with his son, and take him to Mountain Hall. Idunn volunteers to act as his guide and welcomes all her companions to join; she promises the same hospitality that Gramtyng received, and even holdings for any dwarves. However, these lands are protected by Beorn's folk, so there is little danger of bandits, and Baldor no longer needs the company's services. He therefore +2 Treasure each and bids his farewell to any companion not continuing the journey with him.

If any companion follows the Bride's advice, and seeks to spend the winter in Mountain Hall, they find that Idunn was true to her word, and that the people of her village are a hospitable, if curious, folk. Even more curiously, The new PCs essntially join the party and can interact with everyone else.

This is the end of the Adventuring Phase. Thanks for sticking with me everyone!

Please restore your endurance to its maximum value.

You can now choose where to spend the Fellowship-in Mountain Hall or elsewhere. If you choose the former, I have posted some setting information on the village of Mountain Hall inthe Setting folder. At the end of that thread there are also Fellowship undertakings to choose from (you can choose one, or  propose your own if you want, and I will try to be accomodating).

Additionally, you can spend your hard-earned XP and Advancement points to upgrade your characters. I have posted rules on how to do so in the rules thread.

Dwarves who choose to spend the fellowship phase in Mountain Hall will automatically receive a Holding (a small part of the mines; rating of 9) from the chieftain, Hartfast, in exchange for their services. This includes Ipphli's character. The rules for running holdings can be found in the rules thread.

Players who have a Fellowship focus also receive +1 Hope. If you don't have a focus, you can still choose another PC as a focus and gain this benefit (let me know who will be your focus). This choice is not set in stone, and can be changed later on.

Please detail your XP/AP expenditure in your character thread, and update your character sheet accordingly!

Finally, you can post a final wrap-up post for your character, detailing what (s)he does during the fellowship phase from an IC point of view. Every player who does so will gain +1 Advancement point.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 217]
Author : Diofant
Date : Dec 6 '16 3:54am

http://i.imgur.com/PL6i5Hx.pngGramtyng, son of Fastred (http://www.myth-weavers.com/showthread.php?t=364654)

As the tendrils rose from the well, once again the minstrel felt his blood ring out in his ears, a sickeningly sweet sensation overtaking him the curse of his people whisper to him. Growling, he brushed it aside and unsheathed his sword, charging in, cutting at the tendrils as he did: His aim was to help Bella retrieve Belgo. Then, they could deal with this thing at their leisure. Emboldened by the whistle of arrows overhead, he struck at a particularly large tendril, but missed, and saw the world turn upside down as the thing dangled him by his foot, giving him a clear view of the pit where Bella had been, also grappled - other companions had been having similar issues, it seemed. The bard shouted a warcry, and cut at the tendril holding him, twisting about in mid-air and using his whole weight to sink the sword deep into another tendril, nailing it to the ground. In moments, Bella had found something, some manner of weakspot - and it was done. Gramtyng leapt into the well after Bella, concerned with Belgo's well being, and assisted any others who helped pull him out. He allowed the boy to ride on Leasere to raise his spirits a bit, but his own did not until they saw the end of their trek through Mirkwood. At this point, payment was an afterthought...

Whistling a merry tune, Gramtyng walked through Mountain Hall's yard, looking around for something of interest to do. After spending weeks wandering Mirkwood, he'd been perfectly happy to sit in the sun with half-lidded eyes, like some manner of cat - but there was too much to do and experience to spend a day like that. Earlier, he'd played some dice with some of the Woodsmen, and found out about a market at Trader's Isle -  The river folk, or 饌folc as they were called, were organizing one and they, by the sound of it, had all manner of curiosities to see and buy. Gramtyng had also considered practicing his horsemanship to not forget some of the tricks he'd learned, but in the end, his curiosity won out, and he'd went over to the Isle, pockets jingling with newly-earned coins.

Much later, with considerably lighter pockets and an even better mood, he returned from the Isle: He hadn't found anything he really wanted to buy, but the wine was amazing, and the food had a local flavor he never experienced before - and the women were quite good looking and far more cheerful then the girls he'd seen at Mountain Hall. After the oppressing darkness of Mirkwood and the events that happened there... it was truly amazing to hear laughter like that again, and feel that here, the darkness had no hold. For once, he did not consider what to do next and how to find the Steed: After all, he'd have a great deal of time starting now. 

The new arrivals to Mountian Hall interested him, but they mostly spoke with Hartfast, so Gramtyng had left them be unless they would visit the common room, where he'd sat in the corner, away from general mirth, and with a very serious face scrawled something in a large leather-bound journal, at times becoming clearly agitated, and others practically laughing. The answer was very simple: the minstrel wanted to record all that had happened to them while the events were fresh in his mind, to later edit and embellish as necessary. Now, he figured, was not a time to tell stories as he could not make them as complete as he wanted - and the loud, boisterous atmosphere of the common room was just the motivation he needed.

He'd also talked to Hartfast a great deal, and ended up spending an entire day in his house, befor he went out of Mountain Hall for a while, stubbornly looking for something, and one day, returned triumphant, but pale: he held a mail shirt, made with some skill though filthy and encrusted with mud now. He knew these, as they were one of the items that marked a distinguished man or woman of the Mark - an old mail shirt, made in Gondor in old days. Later, he admitted that he was looking for clues to the other Rohirrim's presence - and that it was most strange that the mail shirt could be found along his route, and in this state. After all, its not like he threw off his armor and ran off. Where was he, and who was he? Clearly, some manner of important The idea is that Rewards are received from your people, but Gramtyng's are very far, so its not like he can ride back for one. So, I used Vladim's earlier idea about a Rohirrim that passed through these parts - or perhaps the armor is even older and dates back to the Eothed. Still, it is only an Ancient Mail of Gondor Reward, I just needed a way to receive it.

Apart from the market and the mail shirt, he found another way to spend time - pranking Idunn. It felt, at times, like she was trying to bore a hole through him, what with that disapproving gaze of hers, especially when he indulged in his old pastimes. Still, it was only harmless things - but acting extra eccentric earned a scowl or two. His trip to the market had netted him an all-time high score, and it might have been even higher if she knew how he spent his time there. The bard was practically intoxicated with the life around him, the freedom to do as he willed and nobody to tell him off. Still, its not like he wanted her angry at him just because of a joke, so he'd taken to spend more time practicing his archery and writing in his journal. Oh, how he cursed now refusing his father's lessons of horse archery: there had been so much he wanted to understand, but there had been nobody to teach him, here. Here, only experience was the teacher. 

http://i.imgur.com/bd5qNJH.png?1


[R=1,1]Experience: 2 (10)
[R=2,1]Valour: 2
[R=3,1]Wisdom: 2


[r=1,1]Name: Gramtyng, son of Fastred
[r=1,2]Culture: Riders of Rohan
[r=2,1]Standard of Living: Martial
Individuals belonging to a Martial culture often live according to their status in the military hierarchy, with simple warriors and soldiers sleeping together in a common area; probably as part of the household of a renowned chieftain or noble. Meals are usually consumed in large halls, with seats and tables arranged to observe rules of precedence or respect. Clothing reflects the military status of an individual as well, or that of his family.

Martial player-heroes have enough resources to look after themselves, and to pay for such things as simple accommodation and meals. Ever mindful of the cost of any luxury, they often lead an austere life, or resort to haggling to lower the price of whatever they are trying to get hold of.
[r=1,3]Culture Blessing: The Men of the Mark are a generous folk, but when war is upon them, then they are fell to their enemies as they are loyal to their friends. When the lust of battle is on them, they appear as men stricken with grief, their faces deathly white, or as madmen ready to laugh at despair. The Riders of Rohan may enter a battle-fury if they roll an 11 or 12 on any attack or Protection roll. When this happens, they may choose to gain a point of Shadow, to add one Success die (up to a maximum of 6) to all their close combat attack rolls until the end of the battle.
[r=2,2]Calling: "Speak no secrets! Here is a scholar in the Ancient Tongue."
For you, knowledge makes the wild world a less threatening place to live in. Strangers become friends if addressed properly, yellowed maps in lost books replace a fear of the unknown with curiosity and wonder of places you have yet to explore, songs composed in ages past strengthen the weariest of hearts. A love of learning guides your every step, and illuminates the way for you and those who listen to your advice.
Favoured Skill Groups: Perception, Vocation
Trait: Rhymes of Lore
Shadow Weakness: Lure of Secrets
[r=2,3]Shadow weakness: Lure of Secrets
"The roots of those mountains must be roots indeed; there must be great secrets buried there which have not been discovered since the beginning."
Inquisitiveness and curiosity are desirable virtues in an individual, but knowledge can be put to malicious use and learned individuals can look down on others as ignorant fools. Secrets are dangerous, as the very desire of uncovering them may corrupt the heart.


[r=1,1]Background: Minstrel of the Golden Hall The history of Rohan is not written in any book or tome. Instead it is secreted in the verses of those songs you were taught by your mother and father. You have sung for the living and the dead, and your voice has filled even the Golden Hall of Meduseld. But new deeds worthy of song
occur each day as a darkness gathers and you would be there to witness them first-hand and weave them into legend.
Basic Attributes: Body 5. Heart 5. Wits 4.
Favoured Skill: Song
[r=1,2]Specialties: You have been trained in the arts of singing and playing one or more musical instruments, according to the tradition of the wandering minstrels. Your musical lore runs deeper than most, as you partake of the knowledge of musicians coming from foreign lands., You are a masterful narrator of deeds and stories, able to weave plots and facts with passion and vividness., Rhymes of Lore are brief compositions in verse created by many cultures to remember significant facts from ancient history. Your knowledge of them can supplement a test of Lore, but is used especially in conjunction with any Custom skill (Courtesy, Song or Riddle). Scholars may credit much of their knowledge to rhymes.
[r=1,3]Distinctive Features: You are considered beautiful by most people, even by those not belonging to your folk., You often do not think about the consequences of your actions, daring to do things that others are afraid to even contemplate doing.
[r=1,1]Body: 5 (8)
[r=2,1]Heart: 5 (6)
[r=3,1]Wits:  4 (6)
[r=1,1]Awe ●●○○○○        [r=2,1]Inspire ●●○○○○     [r=3,1]Persuade ○○○○○○ [r=4,1]Personality 
[r=1,2]Athletics ●●●○○○○   [r=2,2]Travel ●●○○○○      [r=3,2]Stealth ○○○○○○     [r=4,2]Movement
[r=1,3]Awareness ●○○○○○ [r=2,3]Insight ●●○○○○      [r=3,3]Search ○○○○○○       [r=4,3]Perspective
[r=1,4]Explore ●○○○○○         [r=2,4]Healing ○○○○○○  [r=3,4]Hunting ●●○○○○    [r=4,4]Survival
[r=1,5]Song ●●●○○○         [r=2,5]Courtesy ●○○○○○  [r=3,5]Riddle ●○○○○○        [r=4,5]Custom
[r=1,6]Craft ●○○○○○      [r=2,6]Battle ●●○○○○   [r=3,6]Lore ●●○○○○    [r=4,6]Vocation
[r=1,1]Damage 5 ()[r=2,1]Parry 4 (+2)[r=3,1]Armour 3d (+1)

[r=1,1]Weapon           [r=2,1]Damage  [r=3,1]Edge   [r=4,1]Injury  [r=5,1]Enc
[r=1,2]Sword ●●●○○○                  [r=2,2]5                     [r=3,2]10                 [r=4,2]16                 [r=5,2]2
[r=1,3]Bow ●●○○○○                  [r=2,3]5                  [r=3,3]10                 [r=4,3]14            [r=5,3]1
[r=1,4]Dagger ●○○○○○○○                       [r=2,4]3                     [r=3,4]12                 [r=4,4]0                  [r=5,4]0
[r=1,5]                     [r=2,5]                    [r=3,5]               [r=4,5]                  [r=5,5]

[r=1,1]--Rewards--[r=2,1]--Virtues--
[r=1,2]Ancient Mail from Gondor (mail armour)
Many armouries in Rohan hold a vast array of weapons, helms and suits of armour created by smiths from the south, gifts from Gondor to the Kings of the Riddermark. A warrior wearing one of those coats of bright mail on the battlefield is sure to lift the hearts of his companions. When you are wearing your Ancient Mail from Gondor, you may employ the combat task Rally Comrades from a forward stance. When you choose to do so, you are also allowed to attack.[r=2,2]Old Songs and Children's Tales
"They are ... wise but unlearned, writing no books but singing many songs, after the manner of the children of Men before the Dark Years."
In these strange days you have learnt that the songs of the old days tell of many things that have been long forgotten, and what is often deemed to be the matter of legends may return to walk under the Sun. There is worth in each word of every rhyme, and wisdom in each dark stave of songs that have come down from father to son in the House of Eorl.

When you succeed in a roll using Inspire, Travel, Insight, Healing, Riddle or Lore, check your Song rating: if it is equal to or higher than the rating of the skill you used, upgrade the quality of the roll by one level (a success becomes a great success, and a great success is turned into an extraordinary one). 

Additionally, if the roll produced a 12 you gain 1 point of Hope (you may gain a maximum of 1 Hope point per
session this way).

When you choose this virtue, mark the skills listed above on your character sheet as a reminder. It is worth noting that using this ability does not imply that you suddenly burst into song, but rather that you run over snatches of old rhymes from your memory, murmuring a few words or maybe singing softly to yourself.
[r=1,3][r=2,3]
[r=1,4][r=2,4]
[r=1,5][r=2,5]
[r=1,6][r=2,6]
[r=1,7][r=2,7]

[r=1,1]Armour: Mail Shirt
(enc: 12 | Protection: 3d)
[r=1,2]Headgear: Cap of Iron and Leather
(enc: 2 | Protection: +1)
[r=1,3]Shield: Shield
(enc: 3 | Protection: +2)
[r=1,4]
[r=1,5]
[r=2,1]Endurance: 27 
(Start: 27 | Enc. Fatigue: 14 | Travel: 0)
[r=2,2]Hope: 13 
(Start: 13 | T. Shadow: 2 | P. Shadow: 0)
[r=3,1]Weary:
[r=3,2]Miserable:
[r=3,3]Wounded:

[r=1,1]Fellowship ( 9 )
[r=2,1]Advancement ( 2 )
[r=3,1]Treasure ( 2 )
[r=4,1]Standing ( 1 )


Company

[r=1,1]Guide Nori
[r=1,2]Scout Bella
[r=1,3]Huntsman Gramtyng
[r=1,4]Look-out Man Idunn
[r=1,5]Fellowship Focus Idunn
[r=2,1] Borin
[r=2,2] Hepti
[r=2,3] Almarion
[r=2,4]
[r=2,5]

Fellowship Phase

[r=1,1]Sanctuaries Mountain Hall?
[r=1,2]Patron 
[r=2,1]
[r=2,2]
[r=1,1]Horse [r=1,2]Leasere
[r=2,1]Type [r=2,2]Radhors(Palfrey)
[r=3,1]Size [r=3,2]Medium
[r=4,1]Charge Damage [r=4,2]+3
[r=5,1]Riding Modifier [r=5,2]-2
[r=6,1]Encumbrance [r=6,2]-6
[r=7,1]Price [r=7,2]2g
[r=8,1]Status [r=8,2]2
Gramtyng is a young man of a 20 winters, who originally hails from Harrowdale: whose smirk and attitude have earned him the disfavor of his father. Fastred had intended for his son to qualify for the Kings guard, eventually, or at the very least become a great hunter. Unfortunately, the boy's head was full of adventure, lore, songs, some less... intended for a noble audience. After one particular slipup in the Golden Hall, where he very nearly insulted one of the guards with a reckless, not entirely untrue song, which involved the guard falling off his horse comically, the King laughed, but suggested the lad go to learn respect. This, apparently, had meant that Gramtyng had to go and learn of the origins of his people, back in Wilderland. Saddened to say goodbye to the mead of Edoras, but happy to go out and earn a name for himself, and perhaps lore he was interested in, Gramtyng nudged Leasere onward, towards his first destination: The newly-rebuilt Laketown. The site of death of a dragon, where else would he obtain the source for perfect song?

[r=1,1]Year
[r=2,1]Event Description
[r=1,2]Spring 2946
[r=2,2]The Company is hired by Baldor to escort him through Mirkwood after they save him from thugs. The Company spends a few days in the Halls of Thranduil before continuing. Idunn finds a footprint of the Werewolf of Mirkwood. Baldor drinks from the Enchanted stream and is stolen by spiders. Hepti joins. Arphel is poisoned and Ellerina is stolen by orcs. The Company tracks them down and frees them as the orcs are overrun by spiders. Belgo, Baldor's son, expresses interest in becoming Gramtyng's Squire. Berengar, once hero of the Woodsmen and wielder of Wolfbiter, is met - now a mad hermit who shelters the companions for a night. The company runs into an enchanted well with an unidentified monster within, which Bella kills. The journey ends, and the Fellowship spends time in Mountain Hall. 
[r=1,3]-
[r=2,3]-
[r=1,4]
[r=2,4]
[r=1,5]
[r=2,5]
[r=1,6]
[r=2,6]
[r=1,7]
[r=2,7]
[r=1,8]
[r=2,8]
[r=1,9]
[r=2,9]
[r=1,10]
[r=2,10]
[r=1,11]
[r=2,11]


4 EXP - Bows 1 to Bows 2
4 EXP - Valour 1 to Valour 2(Ancient Mail of Gondor)
9 AP - Song 2 to Song 3
6 AP - Lore 1 to Lore 2

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 218]
Author : Old Overholt
Date : Dec 6 '16 1:31pm

http://www.leecarver.com/rpg/nori.jpg"Aye," Nori grumbles as he takes a knee, supporting himself on his right side with the head of his axe buried into the ground and the shaft acting as a temporary cane or crutch. "Haven't been squeezed like that since Cousin Gadrin's last visit," the dwarf goes on to state, making reference to a distant relative of Hepti and Nori's that didn't shy away from hugs. Shaking his head to clear it of the cobwebs and fatigue of battle, Nori grunts as he pushes himself up to his feet and walks wearily towards Hepti. What the other dwarf is given is not so much an exuberant chest bump, but more of a chest tap and a tired pat on the back. "Glad to have you here, cousin..." Nori murmurs before the display gets too mushy. 

Shortly after the dwarves have congratulated each other, Nori begins to survey the contained chaos of small battlefield. Seeing Gramtyng jump into the well to retrieve their "fallen" comrades, Nori immediately jogs to the edge of the well to act as an anchor in lifting them out. "Come on ye silly sods," Nori says as he reaches out to assist the Rohirrim. Nori takes special care with the hobbit passed out from exhaustion, loading her into the cart so that she can ride the first leg of the journey out of the woods.

<< I'll probably add more here too once I figure out what I'm going to do. >>

Name: Nori, Son of Glom
Culture: Dwarves of the Lonely Mountain  Standard of Living: Rich
Cultural blessing: Redoubtable (starting Fatigue threshold is Encumbrance rating o fall items carried and then subrtracting favoured Heart score from total)
Calling: Treasure Hunter  Shadow weakness: Dragon-Sickness
Specialties: Smith-Craft, Trading, Burglary
Distinctive features: Bold, Robust
 Body: 6 Heart: 4 Wits: 4
 Body (favoured): 8 Heart (favoured): 7 Wits (favoured): 5

-Common Skills-
[r=1,1]Awe          [r=2,1]Inspire &#8226;&#8226;     [r=3,1]Persuade  [r=4,1]Personality 
[r=1,2]Athletics &#8226;   [r=2,2]Travel &#8226;&#8226;&#8226;      [r=3,2]Stealth             [r=4,2]Movement &#8226;&#8226;&#8226;
[r=1,3]Awareness  [r=2,3]Insight &#8226;&#8226;&#8226;      [r=3,3]Search &#8226;&#8226;&#8226;   [r=4,3]Perspective &#8226;
[r=1,4]Explore &#8226;&#8226;         [r=2,4]Healing  [r=3,4]Hunting              [r=4,4]Survival 
[r=1,5]Song &#8226;       [r=2,5]Courtesy   [r=3,5]Riddle &#8226;&#8226;&#8226;      [r=4,5]Custom 
[r=1,6]Craft &#8226;&#8226;&#8226;      [r=2,6]Battle &#8226; [r=3,6]Lore               [r=4,6]Vocation &#8226;&#8226;
 

-Weapon Skills- Axes: 2 Short Sword: 1 Dagger: 1 

-Rewards-: 

-Virtues-: Stiff Neck of the Dwarves

-Gear- Long-hafted Axe damage: 5/7 edge: G injury: 18/20 enc: 3
 Dagger damage: 3 edge: G injury: 12 enc: 0
 Coat of Mail enc: 16
 Helm enc: 6 (3)
 Shield enc: 3


Endurance: 32 Starting Endurance: 32 Fatigue from Encumbrance: 20 Fatigue from Travel: 0 Total Fatigue: 20 
Hope: 11 Starting Hope: 10 Temporary Shadow: 3 Permanent Shadow: 0 Total Shadow: 3 
Armour: 4D Headgear: +4 
Parry: 4 Shield: 2 
Damage: 6 Ranged: -
Wisdom: 2 Valour: 1 
Experience: 10 Total Experience: 20
Fellowship: 9 Advancement: 11 Treasure: 2 Standing: 1

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 219]
Author : Vladim
Date : Dec 7 '16 12:32am

http://i1050.photobucket.com/albums/s419/Svorinn/The _bride_zpsh8yahesv.pngHartfast was happy for Idunn&#8217;s return, and even happier that she brought dwarves with her. The mines of Mountain Hall needed miners, after all, and Hartfast was ambitious, and eager to expand his holdings.

Idunn told Hartfast of everything that there was to be told about their eventful journey: the spiders, the orcs, Berengar and everything else. She also brought tidings from Esgaroth and the Woodland Realm, and had many tales to share in the Great Hall. Indeed, small crowds of Woodmen would often gather around her-children as well as grownups-to hear of Mirkwood and Esgaroth and the elves. Idunn did not feel comfortable with her new role as story-teller, for she was no bard or minstrel, but she did her best to please her audiences while remaining factual, and In case anyone else is considering Valour/Wisdom upgrades, you can assume that this is how word gets out about your achievements.

Privately, Idunn thought about the Werewolf, for the beast continued to haunt her dreams and memories. Her time with Arphel and Gramtyng had convinced her that, despite the Woodmen&#8217;s skills in the Hunt, putting down the beast would be a task for warriors, not hunters. And although she was no warrior herself, she cast aside her leather armour, and started working on a shirt of mail. She purchased links of iron from Mountain Hall&#8217;s trading post and, little by little, with trial and error, If anyone skilled in Craft wishes to help, I think it could make a nice RP opportunity. She makes herself a mail shirt, so this should be simple enough and well within the skills of, say, dwarves. by the end of winter.

She still met with her friends and companions-even if she did not wish to, Mountain Hall was small, and it was nigh impossible to avoid anyone. But the ties of fellowship had persisted, and I am happy to role-play with Ipphli and Aurore, if they would like to. It could help a lot with the transition, in my opinion. She frequently met with her closest comrade, Gramtyng, yet she did not approve of his idleness and his pastimes. In particular, she mistrusted the river-folk, for although she had never visited their market, she had been brought up with tales of their greed and deception. When Gramtyng departed for Trader&#8217;s Isle, she tried to hide her disapproval, but she was never good in hiding her intentions, so what she thought of the eafolk was evident.

-------------------------------------------

As winter turned to spring, Idunn grew tired of Mountain Hall. Despite Gerold&#8217;s hospitality, she had never enjoyed staying in the village for long. The attention of the Woodmen, enhanced by her recent adventures, as well as Hartfast&#8217;s requests, made her long to be in the forest once again. Thus, she made up her mind to spend most of the following months in the Wolfswood. There, she could stay in the tree-lodge and hunt daily. The journey to the Wolfswood was uneventful. Travel +1 Yet even the Wolfswood seemed small and oppressive, for she had hunted in the depths of Mirkwood, which was much bigger and offered greater variety of quarries. Indeed, after travelling through Mirkwood, Wisdom +1 and Natural Watchfulness Her recent experiences in the greatest of forests awoke memories of hunting with her betrothed near Woodmen-town. Hound of Mirkwood-Harass Enemy She was satisfied with the results-she had known Uthred to be a clever and capable companion, and discovered that their bond had strengthened as a result of their journeys.

Still, she could not remain in the Wolfswood indefinitely. Other than the usual journeys for restocking and selling supplies, she had to consider Hartfast, who often sought her opinion. Besides, she felt that Baldor and Belgo were her responsibility to some extent, as were those of her companions who had decided to call Mountain Hall their home, however temporary. So she returned from time to time, curious to see how they were doing, and to provide aid and guidance when it was needed.

Endurance: 24/24 Fatigue: 15
Hope: 15/16
Shadow points: 1
Advancement points-Personality: 0
Advancement points-Movement: 0
Advancement points-Perception: 0
Advancement points-Survival: 0
Advancement points-Vocation: 0
Advancement points-General: 3
Experience: 2
Fellowship focus: Gramtyng
Fellowship role: Huntress

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 220]
Author : Ipphli
Date : Dec 7 '16 7:35pm

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/79/66/a0/7966a08a8b27fdeb5c9813d715bdb749.jpgBorn, son of Dorin

Borin had arrived in Mountain Hall in the company of Ewald of Dale and his men, a part of their group and yet separate from them. He had his own reasons for being there, and set about them almost right away. He introduced himself to Hartfast, whom he was told led these people. The old man assumed the dwarf was responding to his call for dwarves to aid the Woodmen. While not why he'd come, a spark of greed leapt up in Borin as he listened to the proposal. It seemed straightforward enough to the dwarf. And, truth be told, it had been too long since he dealt with something as simple as mining. Most of his time spent with stone was for fortifications or rebuilding ancient halls. To simply dig for ore and gems was almost a luxury. 

So Borin spent much of his days instructing the Woodmen on how to go about handling stone. He was pleased that these men seemed to know at least a little something about mining, or at least enough for him to build on without having to strat from scratch. A few even showed promise. Borin spent his nights in the company of his students or Hartfast, or both. He regaled them with tales of his encounters with orcs, trolls, and worse along the borders of the Grey Mountains. He hinted at wanting to retake his ancient homeland, testing to see how such an idea was taken. He doubted the Woodmen would send much aid, but at this point every little bit would help. 

The grizzled soldier was pleased to see other dwarves in the settlement, and was looked forward to the chance to sit and talk with them. Apparently there were other strangers about as well, including a man from far-distant Rohan. He was mildly curious to hear what brought him so far, but he had bigger concerns most days than to indulge his curiosity. 

Eventually, Borin led the men into the mountains, seeking a suitable place to start a new mine. He'd toured the existing mines already, pointing out where he would dig, or which supports probably needed reinforcing. But now, now was the time for Borin to start his own mine, the one promised him by Hartfast himself. He spent days scouting the area. It had to be close to Mountain Hall, for the safety and security of the men who would work it, for Borin knew he would not be making Mountain Hall his new home. 

Soon the new mineshaft was sunk deep into the earth. It was more profitable than Borin realized, more so than he'd expected. Hartfast seemed pleased by the fact and, despite Borin's worries to the contrary, kept up his end of the bargain, allowing Borin to keep the mine. It would take some time before it showed any true profits, but the dwarf was hopefully. Either money, from what he could sell of what the mine produced, or metals for use in weapons and armor, either would make him one very happy dwarf indeed. 

Name: Borin, son of Dorin

Culture: Dwarf of the Grey Mountains  Standard of Living: Frugal
Cultural blessing: Redoubtable
  Calling: Wanderer  Shadow weakness: Wandering-madness
Specialities: Mountaineer, Stone-craft, Folk-lore
Distinctive features: Determined, Lordly
 Body: 7 Heart: 3 Wits: 4
 Body (favoured): 8 Heart (favoured): 6 Wits (favoured): 6

-Common Skills- Awe: 2 Inspire: 2 Persuade: 2 
 Athletics: 1 Travel: 3 Stealth: 1 
 Awareness: 0 Insight: 1 Search: 1 
 Explore: 2 Healing: 1 Hunting: 1 
 Song: 1 Courtesy: 2 Riddle: 1 
 Craft: 3 Battle: 2 Lore: 1 
-Weapon Skills- (Axes): 2 Dagger: 1 Short sword: 1 -Rewards-: Helm of Awe
-Virtues-: 
-Gear- Axe damage: 5 edge: G injury: 18 enc: 2
 Short sword damage: 5 edge: 10 injury: 14 enc: 1
 Dagger damage: 3 edge: G injury: 12 enc: 0
 Mail shirt enc: 12
 Helm enc: 6
 Shield enc: 3

Endurance: 31 Starting Endurance: 31 Fatigue from Encumbrance: 18 Fatigue from Travel: 0 Total Fatigue: 18 
Hope: 9 Starting Hope: 9 Temporary Shadow: 0 Permanent Shadow: 0 Total Shadow: 0 
Armour: 3 Headgear: 4 
Parry: 4 Shield: 2 
Damage: 0 Ranged: 0 
Wisdom: 2 Valour: 2 
Experience: 6 Total Experience: 10 
Fellowship: 0 Advancement: Movement 1 Treasure: 1 Standing: 0 
Holdings: Mountain Hall mine (8)

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 221]
Author : CrimsonKnight16
Date : Dec 9 '16 2:49am

Hepti set to work with his holding with his own special brand of enthusiasm. Between lectures about the dangers of spiders, and what to do if you ever saw one, Hepti instructed the men on proper mining technique. He taught them how to survey the stone for weak spots, and how to put your weight behind the the swing without exhausting yourself. The workers were apprehensive about the eccentric dwarf at first, but when they struck their first seam of iron they realized Hepti wasn't as mad as he sometimes seemed.

Once the miners had the hang of things Hepti set about improving the defenses of the holding, placing crude traps around the perimeter and patrolling several times a day. He could never be sure when the spiders might show up to get their revenge.

Hepti made sure to visit Nori often during the construction of the mines. He made wagers with his cousin on whose mine would be deeper each week. More often than not Hepti lost, but both holds' men worked harder knowing they were competing against someone else.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 222]
Author : Vladim
Date : Dec 10 '16 3:43am
Thread Title : Epilogue: A bittersweet farewell

The winter comes and goes without troubles. The arrival of the dwarves in the small village of Mountain Hall brings with it a sense of hope in future prosperity, and many of the village&#8217;s families are eager to make sure that their sons and daughters apprenticed to one of Durin&#8217;s folk. The guests from Dale also make Hartfast and the village elders feel important, and many a night are spent in the Great Hall, making great plans for the future of the Woodmen, now that the shadow of Dol Guldur has been lifted. The tales that the adventurers carry capture the imaginations of the young, and many are eager to see the big wide world that lies beyond their doorstep.

On a fine spring morning, the village is visited by another group of travellers. They are more remarkable than all of the other guests, for they are immortal elves from faraway lands. To the people of Mountain Hall, who have never seen an elf, these creatures are nobler and more beautiful than anyone they have previously met. 

Despite the unexpected visit, Hartfast quickly organizes a great feast, and the elves are welcomed into the Great Hall.

http://i1050.photobucket.com/albums/s419/Svorinn/Ellerina_zpsli0vghe1.pngAmong the elves is an old companion: Ellerina, the high elf of Rivendell. After rejoining with her companions, she explains the purpose of her visit. &#8217;It is good to meet you, one last time, before leaving Wilderland.&#8217; 

She explains that she will soon travel to the undying lands, where all elves go when overcome with grief. &#8217;Had it not been for your actions, I would have been captured, enslaved and tortured, for who knows how many years.&#8217; Her tone now clearly betrays her grief, and she counsels her companions on things to come: &#8217;There is a darkness returning to the woods&#8230; I sense that this darkness has not been vanquished, and it will soon tighten its grip on Mirkwood again, and bring strife into the heart of the Free Folk.&#8217; 

She continues: &#8217;I know a few words of the Dark Tongue of Mordor, and I can tell with certainty that the orcs were taking me to the fortress your folk call Fenbridge.&#8217;

The companions have heard of this name. During their stay with the Woodmen, they learnt much about the other settlements, and know that Fenbridge castle is near Rhosgobel. It was the greatest outpost of Dol Guldur, guarding the way to the Necromancer&#8217;s seat of power. When the Wise drove the Necromancer out of Dol Guldur, the orcs of Fenbridge scattered. Yet now they have returned, even though their defeat was only a few years ago. This is an ill omen for the Woodmen and all the Free Folk indeed&#8230;

&#8217;I cannot fight this fight, but you have courage and wisdom, and I know that, through your actions, you will push back the darkness, and perhaps seal the Enemy&#8217;s defeat. But although I leave now, I shall gift you with the blessings of Rivendell, for this is a fight that will affect us all. Know that you are always welcome in the house of Elrond.&#8217;

http://i1050.photobucket.com/albums/s419/Svorinn/Irime_zpsxxzoksq1.pngAnother elf approaches. She wears a gown of shimmering white and cloud-grey silks, unmarked and untorn, despite the long journey to Mountain Hall. Her face is hidden by a grey veil, but her arms are adorned with silver bracelets, and upon her finger a ring glimmers with its own inner light. Simply being in her presence inspires awe and wonderment, for she must be one of the oldest Noldor, a creature from the First Age, of whom but a few remain in Middle-Earth. She leans to Ellerina, says something in a strange tongue, and then observes the adventurers with her blue eyes. They seem to gaze directly into their spirit. She then says a few words in that old and forgotten language. Although incomprehensible, her words are beautiful and calming, and she also offers a &#8217;Thank you&#8217; in the tongue of Men afterwards. Ellerina then steps forward, and presents the companions with gifts from the elves.

These items are meant to be mostly for flavour, and as a result they are of very simple, but superior, craftsmanship and provide a very small bonus at a very specific circumstance. They are tailored to each companion, according to the skills they used in the first adventure.

To Gramtyng, Ellerina gifts a set of reigns, that grant a +1 modifier when using Athletics for riding a horse.
To Bella, Ellerina gifts a cloak that grants a +1 modifier when using Stealth in Mirkwood.
To Nori, Ellerina gifts a pair of sturdy boots, that somehow fit him perfectly. They grant a +1 modifier to Travel checks when travelling in Mirkwood.
To Hepti, Ellerina gifts a staff that grants a +1 modifier to Hunting when tracking spiders.
To Idunn, Ellerina gifts a coil of rope that grants a +1 modifier to Athletics when climbing.

If you even spend a fellowship phase with the elves (Rivendell or Woodland realm), then you can spend 1 XP and your undertaking to improve this gift. Then, you lose the +1 modifier, but are allowed to make two rolls of the Feat die and take the best result. The specific skill & circumstance still applies.

Also, if you spend a fellowship phase in Lake-town, you can sell your item for 1 Treasure (this is not an Undertaking and can be done automatically.

End of chapter.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Post 223]
Author : Born on the Bayeux
Date : Dec 10 '16 7:02am

http://i756.photobucket.com/albums/xx208/kookalouris/Bella_zpsoctracah.png (http://www.myth-weavers.com/showthread.php?t=363603)

Bella did not fall into darkness or a far green country under a swift sunrise.  At least not yet.  The thing had perished before permanently maiming the little hobbit.  And, more importantly, Bella had her fellows looking after her.

Her recovering injuries had made the trip out of Mirkwood a blur she had real desire to recall.  Parting with Belgo and Baldor was its own trial.  She had grown to care for them both.  She did invite them to the Shire on the small chance that she would be home and Men would even notice the tiny Shire out of all of Eriador.

At least there were many new and old souls at the Great Hall to meet.  The only regret was Ellerina's leaving.  It was good to see the elf hale and hearty but sad to see her go.  All elves seemed to be leaving these days, for one reason or another.  They might all be gone in her lifetime.  Bella accepted the beautiful cloak, light as smoke and as subtle as the mist.

After a tearful and unelvenly bear hug to Ellerina, Bella addressed the new elf in her presence.

"Greeting to you, great lady.  I am Bella of the Shire."


I wanted to get at least the IC text in tonight.  Bella will try and interact with Borin next.  I will try and get the updated stats and stat block up by Sunday.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Downloaded from Myth-Weavers (https://www.myth-weavers.com) at Jul 1 '22 5:09am.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

√ó
√ó
  • Create New...