Year 2946: Don't leave the path

Vladim

[Post 16]

Author : Old Overholt

Date : Jul 6 '16 1:29pm

A euphemism for Nori's attitude would be "set in his ways" - the dwarf adhering to his entrenched ideas of how to carry on business bubbling to the surface as he playfully waves off the Rohirim. He's not angry, he's not hostile - he's just a dwarf being given advice. And it appears to bounce off him like an arrow to a troll. Stacking the bone from his turkey leg on a few others that had been previously cleaned, he voraciously eats throughout The Lament of the Rohirrim, occupied with filling his stomach as opposed to his soul. But when Gramtyng has finished, he does get an appreciative bang of the dwarf's fist on the table three times. At least it was heard, right?

Nori's eyes flick to the quick gesture from the hound as it snatches the meat out of the air, figuring it must have gotten a treat, but doesn't see who might have tossed it. He snorts in amusement of sorts as the beast gobbles down its delight before pinching up some of the stuffing between his fingers and shoving it in his mouth, leaving yellow-brown crumbs scattered throughout his beard. The dog has better table etiquette than this dwarf, but oh what flavors he'll save...

[Post 17]

Author : Diofant

Date : Jul 7 '16 12:33am

"Your wastin' your time, blondie. Giving advice to a dwarf, pah." A dusty-looking dwarf chuckled from behind a small cloud of smoke. Standing up, he walked over to his cousin, observing his enthusiastic annihilation of the plate of meat before him. His gaze followed the bone as it was snatched up by the hound, and he let out another quiet 'Ha!', a small cloud of smoke emerging from his mouth as he laughed. "I assure you, cousin, your neck was in no immediate danger from that malnourished troll. Poor thing wouldnt be able to put a hole through your beard even on its better days."

He took the pipe out of his mouth and pointed at Nori with the mouthpiece: "...'Specially not now, when you've taken to reinforcing it with every meal's leftovers: It's better than your hauberk!" Blain sat down on the bench beside his cousin heavily, and waved his hand at the Innkeep for more food - all that was required by now, really, as the man knew what this dwarf in particular made a diet of. Cant have been good for him, but he sent over another flank of roast boar, drowning in gravy, flanked on either side by a whole loaf of bread and on the other, with several boiled potatoes still in their skins. "AH! Dinner, excellent!" The dwarf managed to spear the meat with his form, raising it about the plate, as the gravy cascaded down as a waterfall. He had already bit into a potato, and was now about to dip a large chunk of the bread he was brought into the sauce, but then remembered something, and fished out from his pockets what looked like a small water-skin, uncorking it with his teeth for lack of free hand, and pouring it all over the potatoes and meat. It was a ghastly, purplish liquid that gave off the distinct scent of onions, garlic, peppers, and something else that made even Blain's eyes water - whether it was the spice or the dwarf was moved to tears remained to be seen.

As he prepared to bite into the pig, a woman came by, pausing for a moment, and looking towards the innkeeper for assurance. She was waved away, causing her to sigh and put down the plate of vegetables - a great selection of radishes, celery, carrots, and cucumbers - with a loud and very intentional 'clank', in front of the dwarf, moving his plate with meat away. The dwarf growled something, too occupied with the boar, and used the side of his arm to brush the plate with potatoes and meat back towards him, and the vegetables back. The woman pursed her lips and folded her arms, tapping her foot. "Wot?" Blain looked up, scowling, with mouth still half-full. "Yer pekt m' ta wot?" He swallowed and wiped his mouth, now more legible: "Just what am I to do with this?"

"What do ya think you do with it, the idea is - you eat it, dolt!" The old woman answered in a tired voice. "You cant eat meat, gravy, potatoes, and bread every day, three times a day!" The dwarf shifted back, chewing slower, as if he just saw some dangerous animal: "You want me to eat food my food eats? Never happenin'." The woman growled something, and retreated back towards the front of the inn, followed by the dwarf's incredulous stare. "Mad..." He whispered in awe. "Oi, did you get that?" He shoved Nori with his elbow, then looked, bewildered, around the room: "She wanted me to eat carrots!" His gaze wandered to the Hobbit, who was working her way through her own meal: "CARROTS, Bella!" His face grew sour as he grabbed the mug of ale, drinking in large gulps. "Oof... Bit too much of a kick this time..." Blain stared accusingly at the 'waterskin' that lay abandoned on the table.

[Post 18]

Author : Neopopulas

Date : Jul 7 '16 3:24am

"Not to make a big deal about it, my friend, but you would be less round and winded if you ate more carrots and less.. well anything else" Though said it jest, it was probably true, or at least she believed it was. Not that elves weren't prone to a little excess, but they also seemed to have a lot more tolerance for it.

"But then, you wouldn't be you then.."

[Post 19]

Author : Born on the Bayeux

Date : Jul 8 '16 4:29am

Through full cheeks, Bella smiled at Blain.  She resembled a well-fed hamster, a comment often directed at hobbits who never seemed offended.  "Carrots!  Perish the thought, Blain.  Of course, if you don't want them..."  Bella liked Blain.  He was a rare dwarf who could appreciate a warm meal as well as cold stone.  At Elerrina's reply, Bella asked spontaneously, "Do elves get fat?"  For anyone else, the question would be rude.  But to the curious Bella, the question was as innocent as if asked by a curious child...

[Post 20]

Date : Jul 8 '16 1:37pm

Nori glances down at the crumbs in his beard when his cousin brings up the "reinforcement". Picking a piece of stuffing out of the hair on his chin, he examines the bit of food with mild amusement before murmuring aloud to Blain, "It's still not as impressive as Aunt Asabelle's" before popping the morsel into his mouth so that it can join the others in his stomach.

As his cousin pours whatever 'gravy' he's brought with him, Nori playfully sticks the hand nearest his cousin out and helps tip the flask up a little higher with an extended pointer to make sure Blain gets a healthy portion of the concoction. "That's it," he says with a partially full mouth. "Drown it all." Chuckling as he draws his hand back, he continues to gorge himself, but watches the exchange between Blain and the barmaid with interest.

When he's ribbed, Nori lets out a belch as he's given a rough nudge in the side by his cousin. "Ooooh," he bellows out. "Didn't know that was hiding down there." Chuckling, he looks to his cousin and then to the plate of carrots before adding, "Father always said your family had a wild hair... didn't know he meant 'hare'."

His eyes then turn to Bella across the way as she chows down on the vegetables. "Aye..." he says in confirmation of her question. "In fact, most of them I find quite full of themselves," Nori adds, reaching for his flagon and then quietly toasting Elerrina with a knowing smile.

[Post 21]

Date : Jul 8 '16 1:40pm

"A fat elf? Not that i have ever met" she laughs just thinking about it, shaking her head "Nor have i met a skinny hobbit either. But stranger things in this world, i am sure.. Stranger things."

[Post 22]

Author : Vladim

Date : Jul 8 '16 7:45pm

Lost in her own thoughts, the Bride paid little attention to the food and idle conversation, which in any case held little interest for her. At times the exchanges between the dwarves caught her ear, forcing her to conclude that these folks were much alike each other. She kept that thought to herself.

Feeling that the dinner will proceed along the same lines for many hours, the Bride decides it is time to go. Quietly, she lifts herself from her chair, offering a laconic excuse. 'A long day will dawn tomorrow. I plan to take part in the Great Hunt, if Bard's men extend their invitation to outsiders. Goodnight.'

The wolf-hound hesitates, showing interest in both the food and his new friends. But a few words from the huntress are enough to ensure his obedience. 'Come, Bondolf. We must go.'

And that's probably my last post for the next two weeks. Sorry to leave the scene like that, but real life will keep me from posting anyway. Plus it seems fitting, given this PCs stoic, laconic and serious personality, and her lack of courtesy skills.

[Post 23]

Author : Dramacydal

Date : Jul 9 '16 1:36am

Soon the embers from the fire seemed to glow like speckles of hot coal. Stoking the fire, a blast of smoke filters in the Knight's Stave. the great meal has been finished and the serving plates have been taken away by serving maids. Pipe weed is lit by some, as the drink still flows. The feeling is somber and more sober as the night wanes on. With news of King Bard's recent illness, little is known about the lengths the Great Hall will enact to resolve the territory issues with the Dwarves of Lonely Mountain of Erebor.

It was Bard the Bowman who shot the lethal black tipped arrow to Smaugs underbelly that fell the dragon of the mountain. Bard would lay claim to a lot of the treasure which he used to rebuild Lake Town. It is said that Bain, Bard the Bowman's son will succeed Bard after King Bard is no more.

What statement to draw on as the legend told of how Isildur cut the one ring from Sauron's finger. Even as far east, there was some patrons in disagreement. With the Line of Stewarts effectively disallowing anyone not of Gondor bloodline to openly rule Gondor, Denethor II is the current stewart of Gondor to rule. His son Boromir is said to be next in line to effectively rule the kingdom of Gondor as the next line of the stewart.

Warm conversation and fellowship are met as everyone here is mostly from eastern Eriador. Bella the fool of a took is a hobbit treasure hunter from the shire who knows of Bilbo quite fondly. Remembering times when Bella avoided marriage to take up a life of adventurer. Bella know Gramtyng as the rider of Rohan, northwest of Gondor and staunch ally of the people from there. The Rorhirrim are herders and farmers who have had to protect their borders from the infringing orcs and goblins from Mordor.

Gramtyng is far from his home much like Elerrina from Rivendell, Duilin of the North and a dunedain warden from Dunedan or what  the elves like to call westerner in elvish called Adun. Even the Bride has difficulty expressing herself as the Bride. The Woodman is  far from home as well. Nori on the other hand is a dwarf from the lonely mountains selling his trinkets and wares with the hopes of getting rich and living a prosperous way of life.

Soon after a moment of silence happens. Whether is was from a silent revelry or the camaraderie of friendship, respect is given to any willing to take the lead in conversation, a young boy enters the tavern. He couldn't be more than ten years old and begins to speak.

Help! Please help! My father ・his guards ・they are going to kill him! We are going to Mirkwood and they are going to kill him! He told me to run! Find help! Help!・

[Post 24]

Author : Maester1216

Date : Jul 9 '16 1:52am

"What direction were you heading?" Arphel springs into action finally, her steely blue eyes focused on the boy. "And how well armed are the guards?" She practically ran for the exit, adjusting the sword at her belt and bow along her back while fidgeting with the straps of her mail hauberk.

Arphel was thankful for the action; she felt uncomfortable in this township, longing for the sheltered canopy of the forests and wide open spaces of the wilds. And while her companions were welcomed... she hesitated to be to friendly with them. The Ranger's life had bred in her something of a hardened detachment attributed to soldiers; it is often easier to accept the loss of a comrade when you barely know them. And in war a clouded mind can be a dangerous obstacle.

She glanced to the others. "Duilin, come with for some preliminary scouting. Elerrina, I need you to gather the others and follow behind us a ways; Duilin and I will assess the situation before we strike." She motioned for the other Ranger to follow her as she motioned for the boy and stay close as they departed.

[Post 25]

Date : Jul 9 '16 9:20pm

Nori takes a deep sip of his ale, watching as Arphel eagerly tears herself away from the tavern. When he sets his mug down, it's with a bit of a bang rather than gently, showing either annoyance or excitement in what's about to happen. "I swear," he grumbles aloud as the Dunedain is nearly out the door after barking her 'orders'. "She'd walk into a dragon's mouth if someone told her their dog was lost in there." The dwarf doesn't seem to be in too much of a hurry to leave his seat, a half eaten plate of food in front of him in what could probably be mistaken as an eating contest with the hobbit catty-corner to him. Picking up a rib, Nori wags it at the boy, but directs his attention to his comrades all around. "Do we even know who this boy, much less who his father, is?" he asks indignantly.

[Post 26]

Author : Maester1216

Date : Jul 9 '16 9:36pm

"I cannot speak for you master Dwarf, but a Ranger does not abandon those in need. We will discern what information we can along the way... but if you would rather sit here, polishing your gems and stuffing for face, then by all means" she waves her hand dismissively at her surroundings. "Do so. Anyone else with the grit and desire to help can go with Elerrina." She leans down to speak with the boy, her face as soft and comforting as she can muster. "I know this might be difficult but it could prove useful to us; why was your father heading into Mirkwood? hope for trade with the Elves? He must have known those woods to be still dangerous."

[Post 27]

Date : Jul 10 '16 3:20am

"Mirkwood can be a dangerous place" she gives her bowstring a bit of a test and stands "Well if nothing else we now have to go and rescue Arphel.. Again.."

"Lets not dally overlong."

[Post 28]

Author : Diofant

Date : Jul 10 '16 4:00am

1d12 2d6t

"A gem caked in mud is a gemstone still"  Muttered the Rohirrim under his breath, recalling an old story.((Invoking Old Songs Virtue))

Gramtyng's hand inches towards his sword but stops; there is no reason for panic... not yet, anyway. Instead, the minstel sighs and swings his lute onto his  back, his pipe long packed away. Despite his dislike for the glorification of war, he still had the training beat into him, and being slow to pack and react, slowly to be ready to ride, was suicide. The rangers attitude  was another matter, but one you've met one commander who liked giving orders, you've met them all. Besides,  Arphel was out from the sticks, courtesy and such were likely to be foregone in favor of sheer survival.

"I dont enjoy being ordered around any more than you, friend Nori, but surely you can see reason behind the rough speech of our friend here. A child wants our help; that is enough."

The minstrel leapt to his feet lightly, patting a few stray crumbs off his leather armor, then finally following Arphel; regardless what he told Nori about the neccesity of following orders  quickly, he himself was not going to drop to the floor when anyone said 'carpet'. Of course, if he thought it necessary, he wouldnt think  twice of it. But he disagreed with Arphel's plan, and there was no time for a discussion; so, they would talk as they ran as time, after all, was of the essence. "How many guards, kiddo?" He fell in to a steady pace on the child's other side. There  was no point bringing Leasere, a man galloping on a horse would only be cause for alarm. "I am a poor ambusher, I'm afraid - better that I go with you. Let's discuss leadership and courtesy some other time, shall we? Around the fire, with a nice hot meal. Just so we dont end up having... confrontations."

[Post 29]

Author : Born on the Bayeux

Date : Jul 10 '16 5:45am

"A skinny hobbit?!"  Bella tried to imagine such a thing.

She was still trying to fathom such a atrocity later when the gathering had turned to stories and song.  Bella had shared her pipeweed with those cultured enough to appreciate it.  The local crop wasn't Old Toby but it would suffice.  At the talk of the One Ring, Bella blew a ring of fading smoke to show what she thought of such stories. 

It was then that the boy had entered the Knight's Stave with his frantic entreaty.  Caught between her plate of Elevenses and a quest for glory, Bella leapt to the challenge.  Well, perhaps there was a moment of soul-searching and an extra bite or two.  Bella sped off after her fellowship, little legs working twice as fast merely to keep up...

[Post 30]

Author : Who_Am_I

Date : Jul 10 '16 6:05pm

Though not as quick to jump out of his seat as Arphel, Duilin nevertheless taps out the ashes of his pipe into his hand before stowing the pipe in the pouch it had been retrieved from. The ashes he brushes between his hands so that it mixes with the sweat in his palms which he then smudges across his face so that when he slides his hood back up to shade it, there remains little that can be seen of his features. The sword he slides an inch from its scabbard, ensuring that the blade slid free, before nodding his readiness to Arphel. We will tread carefully and ensure that our path is secure, or at least not as treacherous as it has otherwise been when haste has won over judgement. Peace, friends. There was a calming edge to Duilins voice, that of a man who is used to speaking and being He is Lordly, after all ;), a maker of peace and spreader of stories all in one. Speak up child, time is hardly on our side in this matter.