Year 2946: Don't leave the path

Vladim

[Post 76]

Author : Vladim

Date : Jul 29 '16 9:26am

(At the Halls of the Elvenking)

The Brides heart sank at the Elvenkings words, but she knew there was nothing more to be said to change Thranduils mind. Perhaps one day, when the dreaded Beast would venture deeper into their territory, the elves would show greater determination in hunting it down… but for now it was a problem for the Woodmen alone.

She nodded, accepted the hospitality politely, and rejoined her company soon after.

(On the road again)

On the morning of their departure, the Bride approached Arphel and the rest of her companions. Arphels words during their audience made her think that the Ranger had accepted the mantle of leadership earlier, but she did not know what roles were given to her or her companions. In preparation for their journey, she made an effort to learn.

Arphel, will you be the one to lead us through the Elf-Road and Mirkwood? she asked the Dunedain, before suggesting how she could contribute to the journey.

I know parts of Mirkwood, but I have never travelled through the Elf-Road before. I am also a huntress for my people at Mountain-hall, and could keep us fed throughout the journey. My hound is keen of smell and hearing, and will warn us if enemies are upon us.

[Post 77]

Author : Diofant

Date : Jul 30 '16 3:28am

Gramtyng chose to withhold any comment that simply danced on his tongue; quite a feat for the chatty Rohirrim who made a living from his speeches. In an uncharacteristically gesture, he stopped strumming the lute, as he always did when he did not know what to do with his hands or when he was nervous, and, replacing it behind himself, wordlessly clapped The Bride on her shoulder. He held his hand there for a brief moment before letting go; he knew the woman was far too wise to show frustration or annoyance at the elven king's dismissal of her warning, especially when Lindar had so obviously judged it to be worthy of worry. He'd had precious little information about the subject, himself; even during their travels prior to this, when they wandered Wilderland and eventually had come to Dale through Mirkwood, The Bride had avoided the subject of the Beast of Mirkwood as best she could - oh, she'd said a few things, but mostly, he'd picked it up from the other inhabitants of Mountain Hall, who explained the story to him.

Short, tragic, brief.

He'd only asked because, at first, he wanted to know what manner of woman he'd been trusting his life to by going with her as a guide. He ended up thanking his lucky stars that something in him prevented him from speaking to her in the usual manner as he did to most women - as The Bride was certainly pretty enough - not that he'd ever discriminated against more plain-looking women. Now that he'd known her story, or at least the brief outline of it, he knew he could trust her. Seeing the king simply wave off her story was... perhaps a bit more aggravating than he'd expected. He wondered if he'd ended up gripping her shoulder a bit harder than he thought he did, as while the minstrel's mouth remained smiling, his eyes were not.

He glanced upwards at the king, briefly, nodded, and walked over to the feast table, where his companions had already arranged themselves. He'd drank a bit, but did not savour the wine's bouquet as he thought he would; his mind had been preoccupied thinking up something else. The Beast of Mirkwood... Wilderland had many fables, some graceful, some terrifying. The company of hunters that tried to kill it at the time had failed, they said. That was all they said. He would have to study how the woodmen hunted and better himself; though their techniques had failed them then, never would it be said that Gramtyng was unwilling to learn. Odd, how the knowledge of hunting his father had beaten into him seemed to be coming in useful... Still, he reasoned, chewing in a somewhat mechanical manner:

This beast was still a beast, no matter how intelligent, how old, and ferocious. If a beast escaped your trap, or you failed to bring down your prey, that merely meant there was a lesson to be learned for next time. What if - only if - one pitted one fable of Wilderland against another? The Steed of the Moon... Huntin' on foot was never the way of The Mark. Horse and Rider could triumph against any beast; if the Steed existed, of course. Wouldn't that be a wonder... To even touch such an animal, much less ride it. Would it be of the blood of Felarof? The way the stories describe it, it could be nothing else but a Mearas, but how old are these stories? A Mearas lives as long as a man, but the stories are even older... Another breed of Mearas?

Gramtyng thoughtfully ripped apart a piece of bread, eating it bit by bit as he considered the idea of a mounted hunt against this monstrosity. The biggest issue was the woods, of course; they would need a nice clearing where the horses could run and the beast would lose the advantage. Traps and the like would have to be employed too... But this was ultimately The Bride's quest, not his. He could only offer her his help - of course he would. Not helping a friend resolve something as painful as what she'd went through would be entirely heartless. He would have to justify it somehow, though, so as she wouldnt think too much about it; perhaps the usual thing about writing a song about its death? After all, he reasoned, raising his head with an altogether different expression alien to his face, no longer a good-natured smile but a grim snarl.

...The only place for a Beast's head was not its shoulders, but adorning a Hunter's Wall.

--------------------On the Road--------------------

"I'd sooner vote for Nori to lead us through this place, honestly; he's plenty experienced, and we all know he's prone to doubting everything most folks take for granted." He looked at Nori before continuing, waving his hand a bit: "I'm trying to say you always look before you leap - and I'd sooner trust my life to someone who doubts every bit of road, see. Maybe just my experiences with this place and travelling alone before that..." He shuddered a bit, remembering that unfortunate time when the only companion he'd had for the road was Leasere. Unfortunately, he was a horse, and was utterly deprived of a sense of humor, not to mention utterly lacking a sense for music! "No offense, Arphel. You're an amazing tracker and I dont remember anything escaping your notice, but my vote's with Nori here." He made a calming gesture. Arphel might have been effectively a block of ice in shape of a woman, but his trust of her eyes was not exaggerated. "As for little ol' me, I think I could help out with the food supplies - my father'd intended me to be a hunter, after all. Besides, not like we cant have several hunters - saving some food up for a dark day is a great idea, as I learned on that mountain pass..."

[Post 78]

Author : Born on the Bayeux

Date : Jul 30 '16 4:30am

Since there was no way out of Mirkwood except through, Bella was as glad as could be that the Fellowship was on its way.  She didn't want to tempt the Elvenking's hospitality any longer.  It was right that they did discuss who would be the best scout for this particular route.  All of the scouts were skilled but each knew some territories better than others.  Bella hoped this would not lead to bad feeling.

"I feel that, between us all, we will be sure in our way.  And, trust me, I have to make twice the steps." Bella laughed at that.  She was always buoyed by the company of the Fellowship.

[Post 79]

Author : Maester1216

Date : Jul 30 '16 5:17pm

"Tell me, has Master Nori made any move to lead us? I think not. Until someone declares otherwise it is only fitting that I take charge of our Fellowship." Arphel does not deign to look back at Gramtyng but does lock eyes with The Bride when she speaks up. "Duilin and I can handle scouting, that said you and your hound would be of great aid in keeping our food supplies at a comfortable level... and your experience could prove useful in hunting this Beast you speak of. I am not from these lands and, beyond the evil endemic to all of Middle-Earth, cannot speak from experience; you claimed it to be a werewolf? I will need to look into this when I can."

Her even, calm voice did wonders to cover up Arphel's bitterness and resentment; the Elves, irrespective of their hospitality, had proven themselves cowards and rogues in the face of this evil. Such people were worthy of nothing less than contempt.

Arphel briefly turned back to The Bride, and inquisitive look on her face. "It occurs to me that I do not know your true name Bride. If we are to travel together it seems only fitting that we know each other by more than a simple title."

[Post 80]

Author : Old Overholt

Date : Jul 30 '16 6:27pm

THUNK!

The dull sound of an axe burying itself into the ground can be heard after Arphel makes her comment. The long handle of his axes pointing back up at him, it appears the dwarf has placed it in the ground in a fit of disgust or perhaps to prevent him from using it. Walking around the tree limb like grip of his weapon, the dwarf's face has turned a shade of red brighter than his beard. "Why you pompous, anvil-dropping, gas spore..." he starts to say, his words flowing out almost quicker than he can think of them. His eyes are locked on Arphel as the dwarf berates the woman. "... you incompetent, toe-biting tunnel worm... What gives you the right?"

The anger and frustration in the dwarf almost has him hoping off the ground as he spews forth his irritation at Arphel. He's stopped short about four or five feet from her so he can look up at her without having to crane his neck too far. "You may think you know what's best for us, but so far you've proved to be no more useful than a cave gherkin. Master Nori hasn't made any move to lead us as you've run into the thick of things like a stupid child time and again with no consideration for those with you whatsoever." The volume of his voice elevates a little. "Master Nori may not act as quick as some, but that's because he's not as foolhardy to think everything needs to be solved with the tip of a sword." Now the dwarf is outright shouting. "Master Nori isn't going to get those who choose to travel with him killed because his eyes are on the road, not up his own arse!"

[Post 81]

Date : Jul 30 '16 10:16pm

Arphel's eyes do not widen. Her face betrays neither anger nor consternation at the dwarf's action as she leans down to make eye contact with him.

"Do you know war, master dwarf? The chaos of battle, spilled blood and shattered shields... and the all encompassing fear of the unknown? I do. I have spent my life defending the men and women of the kindly West from Orcs, Trolls, Goblins and all too mundane threats such as mortal brigands. People I have cared a great deal for have fallen to these foes... and the first thing that came to my mind is simply... why. Why did these brave children of the Dunedain die?"

Arphel's face takes on a severe tone. "Because it is war, master Dwarf. In war there will be loss, there will be casualties... and I will not let that fact render me incapable of making a decision. I know my duty, I am steadfast in what I must do... and I know that any sacrifice I make is one needed for the greater good of all. If you cannot accept that harsh fact... then you mark yourself as unfit for leadership." The Ranger extricates herself from the dwarf's presence and resumes walking, her eyes taking in her surroundings as she takes point.

[Post 82]

Author : Diofant

Date : Jul 31 '16 1:31am

"I declare otherwise, then. A Fellowship doesn't need someone to bark orders. A Fellowship requires unity and agreement from its members. It is not an army, and not YOUR army besides. Nori has made no move to lead us? Let's review where you've lead us." Gramtyng counted on his fingers: "You took charge to save Baldor, but ended up murdering two men and encouraging us to kill all of them. Who dug the graves, by the way? Certainly not you; me and Bella. Why did the brave children of the Dunedain have to die? Very touching. Did you consider what the orphans of the men you killed this morning might have to say about that?"

The bard folded his hands across the chest, legs a shoulder width apart, as he glared at the Ranger: "You broke down negotiations with King Thranduil due to idle curiosity. And even now, you're being quite rude. Having you as a leader is a liability. You are not nearly diplomatic or persuasive enough to have a claim to that spot - as can be seen from our current issue. 'If you cannot accept it, too bad'? Those are the words of a tyrant, not a leader; and I can tell you plenty about tyrants. Or war, for that matter."

The minstrel unfolded his hands, a smile gracing his lips with a smile a glimpse of which might have inspired an orc to scale a smooth granite wall. "As for my own views... before you open your mouth next, Arphel, kindly remove the stick you've up your arse: the leaves have grown out your ears; its an embarrassment. Nobody here volunteered to be YOUR sacrifices in the name of YOUR war. Nobody here has voiced their acceptance of you as their leader, so until such a time comes, it will stay that way." He had considered adding that The Bride clearly did not wish to be referred to by name, as all she gave was her... title? But the Woodsman girl could speak for herself, and did not need his defense.

He unfolded his arms and sighed, rubbing his head in a manner that suggested a headache: "Seriously, why are we having this conversation? How many times did we have each other's backs by now? The only thing we were deciding was who would guide us through Mirkwood, not even who would be leader... I'm pretty used to the ice queen act by now but damn, Arphel, lighten up already."

((As previously discussed... This is entirely in-character for Gramtyng due to his issues with orders and leaders being part of the reason he left The Mark.))

[Post 83]

Date : Jul 31 '16 10:55am

The Bride could do little but stand by helplessly as her companions squabbled. She feared for their unity, for they had not even taken a step towards the heart of Mirkwood yet, where real danger lay. Still, judging by what little she knew of Nori and Arphel, she was inclined to believe that the dwarf would make the wiser guide.

'We need not tarry with needless quarrels.' she stated, hoping that her companions would see that this was true.

'However, Master Nori is correct. I do not indend to march to war, Arphel. I am no soldier. I know little of dwarves, but I have heard that they are all well-travelled. Master Nori's skills and experience will see us safely through Mirkwood.'

Speaking in favor of Nori, she nevertheless approached Arphel quietly and tried to give some form of answer to her previous question: 'Let us speak of the werewolf and my people's ways at a later time;' she remarked, 'we must journey by daylight, and we have wasted much time already.'

[Post 84]

Author : Neopopulas

Date : Jul 31 '16 11:57am

"Are the children quite done shouting, then?" Elerrina had stayed quiet throughout the little squabble because, where she to answer honestly, she found it all very childish. She also knew that sometimes you just had to let them shout themselves out, they would grow bored of it soon enough, nothing truly lasted all that long, in the grand scheme of things.

She really didn't care who led the way through the wood, she didn't think that it would change much and were things to go poorly, it would fall to the entire group to solve the problem anyway. But so long as it did not come to blows, it probably wouldn't change anything.

[Post 85]

Author : Old Overholt

Date : Aug 1 '16 12:21pm

When Arphel leans down to look him in the eyes, Nori takes a step forward, not backing down from the insult or the Ranger trying to exert control over the group's direction. "We're not at war," Nori barks back at Arphel simply, raising his arms on either side of him and turning slightly at his waist, indicating he's referring to the small group as opposed to any other abstract collective. "And if you think we are, then you can lead yourself off the next cliff."

When the Ranger walks off, it leaves the dwarf fuming. You could probably boil a kettle on his head judging from the redness in his face. He snorts and flubbers his lips, sounding like a bull who is ready to charge. His dander up, he turns about and grabs his axe out of the ground. Throwing it over his shoulder, he exclaims to no one in particular, "The height of arrogance that one! Thranduil is more reasonable than her. An orc can use her bones to pick their teeth for all I care."

[Post 86]

Date : Aug 2 '16 5:44am

Bella hated discord and strife.  And now there were both in the Fellowship.  Why was such a need to lead others so precious in Big Folk?  Best to nip this in the bud before some words could not be unsaid.  If it were not too late already.

"Please, my brave fellows, we may not all be experienced enough to be guides but I venture that we are all experienced enough to judge it.  So why do we not vote  both on our initial guide and each contentious decision thereafter?  Not all soldiers agree with every general but, unified, an army can survive error better than the divided can." The hobbit hoped her entreaty would be entertained.

Bella considered that she might volunteer as guide.  Not for her skill in guiding but in possibly managing the storms of dissent.  Even though I do not know the way.  She thought.

[Post 87]

Author : Dramacydal

Date : Aug 6 '16 5:01pm

After disparaging remarks have left the Fellowship at odds with one another, to each their own took up their role for the journey across the expansive Mirkwood. The trip was around 160 miles and through here on this path anything could happen. As Nori took up the guide, the short and stout dwarf from the lonely mountains trudged through the snarly and entangled forest.

A few of the fellowship's hearts were burdened over the bickering and fighting. It seemed that even in King Thranduils halls no one was safe from the corruption of the shadow. As your anguish seems to burden the more you travel with Arphel the scout, it seems Arphel is unflinching in these times. No fatigue nor anguish has settled in her.

There were many camp nights up until this sixth night. A few lookouts but you could feel the weight of the blighted land upon your shoulders. Thinking over to the last six days and how the Fellowship had been unusually quiet the more the group traveled. It seemed Belgos and Baldor were lost in thought and aloof to their surroundings.  Belgo wears a talisman around his neck that he tells others that it reminds him of his lost mother who lost her life in Laketown.

But as the others were lost in thought and small talk among themselves. The bride finds a gigantic wolf like paw print,  in the mud. It is definitely from a wolf but the beast must be the size of a bear. It is determined that the print is fresh and only a day old. It could be anywhere in the vicinity. But it could be the maddening effects of Mirkwood at play here.

Arphel finds a nice place to camp for the night. It is an open field that Elerrina remembers the clearing as being an former feasting hall of King Thranduil before he was pushed back to where his kingdom is now. Although this area hasn't been used in many years, A sparkling stream of fresh water runs along the edge of the clearing. Upon the sixth night the camp decides to make camp. Young Belgo throws himself down on the grassy floor and announces that he is much too tired to travel any more that day.

[Post 88]

Date : Aug 8 '16 1:53am

So many harsh words had been spoken, Bella didn't think that other words would do more than inflame.  She stayed silent, at least as silent as a hobbit could stand to be.  The Fellowship in general also seemed to be keeping their thoughts close.

At least Mirkwood was yielding, step by step.  Although the wide lands beyond were still shielded by the gnarled trees, Bella knew they were out there and a step closer every moment.

Bella did try and interact with Belgo.  It was said that halflings were much like children, which hobbits almost always took to be a complement.  When Belgo suggested a rest, it seemed a good idea.  The Fellowship might be able to press further but the group didn't need more strain.  She did wonder about the pendant Belgo wore, seeing if the design of the talisman matched Belgo's explanation of it.

Bella is curious about the talisman, as she is curious about everything.  But she will not question or question further if she feels that would cause Belgo discomfort.

[Post 89]

Date : Aug 8 '16 7:36am

As the fellowship ventured deeper and deeper into the forest, the Brides thoughts wandered between the Elvenkings words and that of her quarry. Despite her efforts to learn more from her elders in Mountain Hall, she knew little of the creature, for none with knowledge was willing to speak of it. From the little she could piece together, however, she knew that it was a terrible foe, one that had claimed the lives of countless Woodmen for many years before she was born.

Preoccupied as she was, she focused on the journey, paying little attention to the petty resentments within their Company.

When, on the noon of the sixth day, she discovers the paw-print, a single-minded sense of duty takes hold of her, although fear is not entirely absent from her heart. She (I will include a hunting roll and more information in the dice thread) and even ventures for a few yards into the surrounding forest, wishing to find more tracks, that would lead her to the monsters lair.

At camp, she is made uneasy by her discovery, and is torn between remaining with the company and exploring the surrounding region. You saw it as well! she says to any companion that says anything to her. The Beast of Mirkwood is prowling here, so we had better be prepared for the worst!

She says little else, Will include Awareness roll in the dice thread

As far as I understand, PCs are allowed 2 actions (dice rolls) for each day of travelling (page 162 of the Rulebook), so I will make the Hunting and Awareness rolls my actions.

I also think it fits narratively for the Bride to be standing guard, so if no-one objects, I would like to assign her as Look-out Woman from now on. We anyway lack this role covered currently.

[Post 90]

Date : Aug 8 '16 10:44pm

Arphel falls down a good three or four yards away from the Fellowship's main camp, exhaustion finally setting in after so many hours of travel. Curling up under a tree, her ears somewhat perked up to The Bride's rambling's before drifting off into a well deserved slumber.