Chapter 01d: When Home Burns (Back in Vogler)

Kamishiro_Rin

Date

On This Palast, the 22nd Day of Brookgreen,
in the 351st Year After the Cataclysm
(Monday, March 22, 351 AC)

The 2nd Day of the Campaign

Back in Vogler

After returning to Vogler, Mayor Raven, Cudgel, and Becklin ask you all to join them at the Brass Crab as Darrett and other villagers tend to the wounded. The Kingfisher Festival’s levity is abandoned as worried locals seek refuge or mill about the village circle, uncertain how to help.

The Brass Crab’s owner, Yalme, had prepared the tavern’s common room for a night of celebration, but those plans are quickly abandoned when you all arrive with the village leaders. Mayor Raven leads the conversation, prioritizing the following points:

• Raven already instructed trusted villagers to tend to the wounded and to recover the bodies of those murdered at High Hill.
  • Raven wants to understand why the Ironclad Regiment attacked. Clearly Cudgel was betrayed, but why? The captive mercenary might have answers to these questions.
  • Vogler’s leaders need to know whether other dangerous mercenaries are afoot.
  • To those of you who used magic—particularly healing magic or other evidence of a god’s power—Raven asks if the you can use your talents to help her people. Since Mery actively tried to hide her use of magic, I’ll leave it to her to decide if she’s included in this. The others—Coltan, Merituuli, Hunni, and Decimus—are all asked.

Cudgel has only one concern: discovering the fate of the rest of her troops. She plans to return to her camp once the mercenary has been interrogated. She won’t be deterred, and she refuses to let anyone go with her; if her mercenaries have betrayed her, she doesn’t want anyone else walking into danger.

Mayor Raven lets you all pose your own concerns and plans, but ultimately she urges everyone—except Cudgel—to stay in the village tonight as they try to learn more. In the meantime, Raven encourages you all to join Cudgel in interrogating the surviving mercenary. If you have such concerns or plans, please put them in a section of your post labeled “Back in Vogler” (like above).

Mercenary Interrogation

The mercenary captured during the Battle of High Hill is a low-ranking soldier in the Ironclad Regiment named Svilnt Sunderlit.

Mayor Raven gives Cudgel and you all leeway in conducting the interrogation. Raven doesn’t oppose the use of coercive magic, but she refuses to let anyone harm the captive. Cudgel initially tries to lead the interrogation, but she struggles to contain her anger at her betrayal. She soon retreats to watch from a distance as you all lead things—though she occasionally interjects at particularly angering news.

The captive mercenary is brought in with their chest and arms bound by a fishing net. At first, the mercenary only mocks you all and refuses to reveal anything but their name—and even then, only confirming it when Cudgel says it and slaps him. However, Mery’s honeyed wordsI’m going to carry over the roll tbgg made from this post: https://test.myth-weavers.com/index.php?/topic/5784-chapter-the-third-when-home-burns—a-parting-gift-the-kingfisher-festival/page/8/#comment-79224 seem to do the trick. You all learn the following information:

• Gragonis planned to kill Cudgel and take control of the Ironclad Regiment.
  • Several days ago, Gragonis headed into the woods west of the mercenary camp, then returned with a considerable amount of gold.
  • Afterward, Gragonis hired his most loyal mercenaries to attack the Vogler militia during the reenactment. He planned to then raid Vogler.
  • The mercenary doesn’t know who gave Gragonis the gold he used to pay off the mercenaries.
  • A few mercenaries remained at their camp, including Jeyev, Cudgel’s other lieutenant. The mercenary thinks the others at the camp are loyal to Cudgel—the ones Gragonis paid accompanied him to the reenactment.

A Tense Evening

When you all are done questioning the mercenary, the captive is placed under guard in a nearby shed. Cudgel heads out soon after, intent on verifying the mercenary’s story at her camp. She promises to return by the following dawn.

Mayor Raven is eager to learn more about Gragonis’s meeting in the woods west of town, despite not wanting anyone else to leave the village. She plans to send out local hunters in the morning, but she responds with gratitude if you all offer to investigate the woods instead. Raven offers to send Darrett with you as a guide—a task to which he will eagerly agree.

Edited by Kamishiro_Rin (see edit history)

spacer.pngColtan Bluetemper

Level 3 Neidar Folk Hero Forge Cleric

AC: 16/18 (Chain Mail +2 Shield) | HP: 31/31 (3d8+9+3) | Speed: 25 ft.
Senses: Darkvision 60 ft., Passive Perception 15, Insight 13, Investigation 12
StrSave: +2

Athletics: +5

Carrying Capacity: 210 lb.
Lift/Push/Drag: 420 lb.
:
14 (+2) | DexInitiative: −1
Save: −1

Acrobatics: −1
Slight-of-Hand: −1
Stealth: −1☆

☆ Chain mail gives disadvantage
:
8 (–1) | ConSave: +3: 16 (+3) | IntSave: +0

Arcana: +0
History: +0
Investigation: +2
Nature: +0
Religion: +2
:
10 (+0) | WisSave: +5

Animal Handling: +5
Insight: +3
Medicine: +3
Perception: +5
Survival: +5
:
16 (+3) | ChaSave: +2

Deception: +0
Intimidation: +0
Performance: +0
Persuasion: +2
:
10 (+0)

Languages: Speak, read, and write Common and Dwarvish

After Coltan completes his last sweep of the battlefield of wounded who can be saved, he follows behind the mayor's entourage toward the Brass Crab. His heart his heavy. Without the divine interventions of the healing magic of Reorx more would have died. Hopefully the witness of Reorx's return will be spread. He carries his holy hammer through Vogler with magical blue flames surrounding the head, like a torch, to lead the way.

Back at Vogler

At the Brass Crab, he first goes to wash his face and hands trying to clean the death from his person. Afterwards, he returns to the common room and council. He sets his flaming hammer on a table and pours himself a beer from a barrel into a tankard. When asked about his magical abilities, the dwarf replies, "aye. The gods have returned. I am an apprentice of Reorx and can channel some of His divine power. I have done all that I can for the wounded today."

OOC

Action: Cast Light on holy hammer

Bonus Action:

Movement:

Reaction:

Use Object:

Actions and Resources

Actions

+1 Holy Warhammer (versatile). Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target.
Hit: 1d8 + 3 magic, fire damage.
Versatile damage: 1d10 + 3 magic, fire damage.

Warhammer (versatile). Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target.
Hit: 1d8 + 2 bludgeoning damage.
Versatile damage: 1d10 + 2 bludgeoning damage.

Handaxe (light, thrown). Melee & Ranged Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, ranged 20/60 ft., one target.
Hit: 1d6 + 2 slashing damage.

Dagger (light, thrown). Melee & Ranged Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, ranged 20/60 ft., one target.
Hit: 1d4 + 2 piercing damage.

Spell-casting: +5 or DC 13 | 1st 4/4 | 2nd 2/2

Cantrips

1. Sacred Flame (V, S). Spell Attack: Dex DC 13, ranged 60 ft., one target.  Fail: 1d8 radiant damage.
  2. Word of Radiance (V, M). Spell Attack: Con DC 13, ranged 5 ft., each creature of your choice. Fail: 1d6 radiant damage.
  3. Light (V,M).  You touch one object that is no larger than 10 feet in any dimension. Until the spell ends, the object sheds bright light in a 20-foot radius and dim light for an additional 20 feet. The light can be colored as you like. Completely covering the object with something opaque blocks the light. The spell ends if you cast it again or dismiss it as an action.  If you target an object held or worn by a hostile creature, that creature must succeed on a Dexterity saving throw to avoid the spell.

1st level spells prepared

• Identify (V,S,M) Ritual. You choose one object that you must touch throughout the casting of the spell. If it is a magic item or some other magic-imbued object, you learn its properties and how to use them, whether it requires attunement to use, and how many charges it has, if any. You learn whether any spells are affecting the item and what they are. If the item was created by a spell, you learn which spell created it. If you instead touch a creature throughout the casting, you learn what spells, if any, are currently affecting it.
  • Searing Smite (V). The next time you hit a creature with a melee weapon attack during the spell's duration, your weapon flares with white-hot intensity, and the attack deals an extra 1d6 fire damage to the target and causes the target to ignite in flames. At the start of each of its turns until the spell ends, the target must make a Constitution saving throw. On a failed save, it takes 1d6 fire damage. On a successful save, the spell ends. If the target or a creature within 5 feet of it uses an action to put out the flames, or if some other effect douses the flames (such as the target being submerged in water), the spell ends.
  1. Bless (V,S,M).  You bless up to three creatures of your choice within 30 ft. Whenever a target makes an attack roll or a saving throw before the spell ends, the target can roll a d4 and add the number rolled to the attack roll or saving throw.  Concentration up to 1 minute.
  2. Cure Wounds (V,S).  A creature you touch regains a number of hit points equal to 1d8 + your spellcasting ability modifier. This spell has no effect on undead or constructs.
  3. Detect Magic (V,S) Ritual. For the duration, you sense the presence of magic within 30 feet of you. If you sense magic in this way, you can use your action to see a faint aura around any visible creature or object in the area that bears magic, and you learn its school of magic, if any.  The spell can penetrate most barriers, but it is blocked by 1 foot of stone, 1 inch of common metal, a thin sheet of lead, or 3 feet of wood or dirt.  Concentration up to 10 minutes.
  4. Healing Word (V) Bonus.  A creature of your choice that you can see within range regains hit points equal to 1d4 + your spellcasting ability modifier. This spell has no effect on undead or constructs.
  5. Guiding Bolt (V,S).  Make a ranged spell attack against the target within 120 feet. On a hit, the target takes 4d6 radiant damage, and the next attack roll made against this target before the end of your next turn has advantage

2nd-Level Spells Prepared

• Heat Metal (V,S,M) Concentration. Choose a manufactured metal object, such as a metal weapon or a suit of heavy or medium metal armor, that you can see within range. You cause the object to glow red-hot. Any creature in physical contact with the object takes 2d8 fire damage when you cast the spell. Until the spell ends, you can use a bonus action on each of your subsequent turns to cause this damage again. If a creature is holding or wearing the object and takes the damage from it, the creature must succeed on a Constitution saving throw or drop the object if it can. If it doesn't drop the object, it has disadvantage on attack rolls and ability checks until the start of your next turn.
  • Magic Weapon (V,S) Concentration. You touch a nonmagical weapon. Until the spell ends, that weapon becomes a magic weapon with a +1 bonus to attack rolls and damage rolls.
  • 6. Spiritual Weapon (V,S) Bonus. When you cast the spell, you can make a melee spell attack against a creature within 5 feet of the weapon. On a hit, the target takes force damage equal to 1d8 + your spellcasting ability modifier. As a bonus action on your turn, you can move the weapon up to 20 feet and repeat the attack against a creature within 5 feet of it.

Channel Divinity: 1/1 short rest

Turn Undead.  Expend a use of your Channel Divinity as an action to make each undead that can see or hear you within 30 feet of you to make a Wisdom DC 13. If the creature fails its saving throw, it is turned for 1 minute or until it takes any damage.

Harness Divine Power.  As a bonus action, expend a use of your Channel Divinity to regain one expended spell slot, the level of which can be no higher than half your proficiency bonus (rounded up).

Artisan's Blessing. You conduct an hour-long ritual that crafts a nonmagical item that must include some metal: a simple or martial weapon, a suit of armor, ten pieces of ammunition, a set of tools, or another metal object (see chapter 5, "Equipment," in the Player's Handbook for examples of these items). The creation is completed at the end of the hour, coalescing in an unoccupied space of your choice on a surface within 5 feet of you.  The thing you create can be something that is worth no more than 100 gp. As part of this ritual, you must lay out metal, which can include coins, with a value equal to the creation. The metal irretrievably coalesces and transforms into the creation at the ritual's end, magically forming even nonmetal parts of the creation. The ritual can create a duplicate of a nonmagical item that contains metal, such as a key, if you possess the original during the ritual.

Edited by JubalBreakbottle (see edit history)

spacer.png                       Meryelle "Mery" Keryndon

Level 3 Half-Elf Sage College of Lore Bard

AC: 13 (Leather Armor) | HP: 18/25 | Speed: 30 ft.
Senses:  Darkvision 60 ft; Passive Perception 11, Passive Insight 11, Passive Investigation 14
Str:Save: -1
Athletics: +0

Carrying Capacity: 120 lb.
Lift/Push/Drag: 240 lb.
8 (-1) | Dex:Initiative: +2
Save: +4
Acrobatics: +3
Slight-of-Hand: +3
Stealth: +4
14 (+4) | Con:Save: +2 14 (+2) | Int:Save: +2
Arcana: +4
History: +4
Investigation: +4
Nature: +4
Religion: +4
14 (+2) | Wis:Save: +0
Animal Handling: +1
Insight: +1
Medicine: +1
Perception: +1
Survival: +1
11 (+0) | Cha:Save: +5
Deception: +7
Intimidation: +5
Performance: +5
Persuasion: +7
16 (+5)

Languages:  Common, Elven, Solamnic, Kharolian, and Draconic
Spell-casting: +5 or DC 131st 4/4 2nd 2/2 | Bardic Inspiration: 0/3

“My words,” | ‘My thoughts,’  | My actions

Back in Vogler

When Mayor Raven asks Coltan, Decimus, Hunni, and Kai to use their magic to aid Vogler, Mery intentionally seeks out Yalme, pulling out the sketch she made of Ispin telling his fisherman's tale. "Yalme, I made this sketch to give Vogler something to remember Ispin by. Is there a place he frequented a lot that might make a good home for the sketch? I'm even willing to gift it to the Brass Crab, if you think it belongs here."

Upon finishing her business with Yalme, she takes the Doss lute and carries it back to her room at the inn, keeping it wrapped in its protective covering. When she returns back to the common room, she asks Decimus, "Can you help me learn whether the lute is more than just a musical instrument at some point, and if so, what exactly it does?"

She also approaches Artanis. "Excuse me, Ser Artanis, but I would like to keep the horse I mounted. Might I trouble you to teach me the basics of horse care and riding at some point? I am happy to pay you for your time. I also think the saddle needs adjusting. When I was on the horse, I couldn't get my feet into those loops you use to help you balance." Her tone is completely businesslike, but her eyes show a hint of uncertainty, although what she is uncertain about is unclear.

Mercenary Interrogation

During the interrogation, Mery is anything but uncertain, and her words have the desired effect of getting the traitorous mercenary to talk. Despite the fact that the answers only lead to more questions, she feels a sense of satisfaction with the progress she's helped the town to make. For the time being, she refuses to think about the dead. 'I'll think about that later. For now, the town needs someone clear-minded.'

A Tense Evening

To the Mayor's concerns, Mery comments, "I think it's just possible that the mercs might be in league with those lizards we encountered before we arrived in Vogler. I understand Draconic, which is the language the lizards speak. I'd like to volunteer to go with the hunters you send out, Mayor Raven. If the two groups really are working together, having someone who can understand the lizards might be crucial to understanding their plans."

OOC

Action: 

Bonus Action: —

Movement: —

Reaction:

Mount Movement:

Mount Action: —

Actions & Resources

Actions:

Shortbow (simple, ranged, ammunition, two-handed). Ranged Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, ranged 80/320 ft., one target.
                                                                                   Hit:  (1d6 + 2) piercing damage. 

Dagger (light, ranged or melee). Ranged Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, ranged 20/80 ft., one target.
                                                   Hit: (1d4 + 2) piercing damage.
                                                                   Melee Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target.

Hit: (1d4+2) piercing damage.

Bonus Actions:

Healing Word

A creature of your choice that you can see within range regains hit points equal to 1d4 + your spellcasting ability modifier. This spell has no effect on undead or constructs.

At Higher Levels. When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 2nd level or higher, the healing increases by 1d4 for each slot level above 1st.

Bardic Inspiration (3 per long rest, for 1d6)

As a bonus action, a creature (other than yourself) within 60 ft. that can hear you gains an inspiration die (1d6). For 10 minutes, the creature can add it to one ability check, attack roll, or saving throw. This can be added after seeing the roll, but before knowing the outcome.

Ammunition:

20 arrows in quiver, 3 arrow bundles in backpack.

Spellcasting:

Mery is a 2nd-level spellcaster. Her spellcasting ability is Charisma (spell save DC 13, +5 to hit with spell attacks). She has the following bard spells available for spontaneous casting from her first level slots: 

• Cantrips (2/2 slots): prestidigitation, vicious mockery
  • 1st level (4/4 slots): healing word, hideous laughter, cure wounds, unseen servant
  • 2nd (2/2 slots): aid, heat metal

Class Features:

• 3/3 Bardic Inspiration, recovered after a long rest
  • Song of Rest (Use on any short rest - anyone who hears her performance and chooses to regain a hit die gains an extra 1d6 of HP.)
  • Jack of All Trades (add 1/2 proficiency bonus, rounded down, to any ability check you make that doesn't already include your proficiency bonus.)
  • Bardic College = College of Lore. Gain expertise in 2 skills you already have proficiency in, and proficiency in 3 new skills. (Choosing Persuasion and Deception for Expertise, adding Nature, Stealth, and Religion for Proficiency.)

OOC

@PureChance Would appreciate a response on this. It doesn't need to be done immediately, but in the next game day or so would be great. Not being able to get your feet into the stirrups makes riding a lot more dangerous, which is something I imagine Artanis would understand better than Mery does. Modern saddles have buckles that you can adjust to lengthen/shorten the stirrups to fit the rider's legs. I tried to find out when adjustable stirrups were invented, but while I found a ton of info about the evolution of the saddle, I couldn't find that, so I guess just assume these have the adjustable stirrups. As to the rest, if you don't know what's involved, you can just say that Artanis instructs Mery in basic horse care and riding. It would probably take 1-2 hours to do all of that.

Edited by tbgg (see edit history)

MerituuliToken.png.53f9774174cd1fbd27a1aa51cf1736c8.pngMerituuli Kaiutin

Level 3 Sea Elf Far Traveler Beast Master Ranger

AC: 18 (Scale Mail, +2 Shield) | HP: 34/34 (3d10+6+6) | Speed: 30 ft., Swim 30 ft.
Senses: passive Perception 17 (Expertise, Darkvision 60 ft.), Insight 15, Investigation 10
Str:Save: +3
Athletics: +3

Carrying Capacity: 180 lb.
Lift/Push/Drag: 360 lb.
12 (+1) | Dex:Initiative: +2
Acrobatics: +2
Sleight of Hand: +2
Stealth: +2☆

☆Disadvantage on Dexterity (Stealth) checks from Scale Mail Armor.
 14 (+2) | Con:Save: +2 14 (+2) | Int:Save: +0
Investigation: +0
Nature: +2
Religion: +0
10 (+0) | Wis:Save: +3
Insight: +5
Perception: +7★

★Expertise in Perception (Deft Explorer - Canny)
17 (+3) | Cha:Save: -1
Deception: -1
Intimidation: -1
Performance: -1
Persuasion: -1
 8 (-1)

Languages: Common, Elvish, Kenderspeak, Kharolian, Khur

“My words” | ‘My thoughts’  | My actions . . .

Back in Vogler

Returning to the Brass Crab, Merituuli looks about the common room, which had just recently been set up for a night of celebration - a celebration that was less than appropriate now, given the betrayal that had just occurred. He shares the leaders' concerns as to whether more mercenaries remain - "There's a chance some may have escaped during the chaos of the battle, currently laying low. We should keep an active watch around the town to be safe."  When Mayor Raven asks about his magical talents, Merituuli ponders for a moment and replies, "Well, I don't have any healing magic, as far as I'm aware. To be entirely honest, I'm... kind of new to this in general. I'm still getting a hang of it, but I might be able to help in other ways?"

Mercenary Interrogation

Merituuli remains quiet as the remaining mercenary is interrogated, though his face betrays just how angry he gets as the interrogation proceeds. All this death for a bit of damned gold... what a waste. The fact that Gragonis had gone into the woods west of the camp and received gold from someone catches his attention. Just who would want Cudgel and Vogler destroyed? On top of that, I thought I heard one of the mercs shout that they wanted the Greenshield... He whispers that little tidbit to Artanis, letting the cooler head of the knight take the lead on such questioning.

A Tense Evening

Before Cudgel goes, Merituuli gives her a strained smile and says, "Come back safe, alright? I'm not ready to lose another mentor figure. One is more than enough." He gladly offers his services in investigating the area of the woods that the deal went down in. "That's a bit more related to my skills, Mayor Raven. Kalasääski and I will be able to get a good survey of the area." He scratches the feathered head of his newfound osprey companion for emphasis.

OOC

Action: —

Bonus Action: —

Movement: —

Reaction: —

Actions & Resources

Actions:

Baculite Shell (Shillelagh). Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target.
Hit: 1d8+3 bludgeoning damage.

Thorn Whip. Melee Spell Attack: +5 to hit, range 30 ft., one target.
Hit: 1d6 piercing damage.

Heavy Crossbow (heavy, loading, two-handed). Ranged Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, range 100/400 ft., one target.
Hit: 1d10+2 piercing damage.

Dagger (finesse, light, thrown). Melee or Ranged Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, reach 5 ft. or range 20/60 ft., one target.
Hit: 1d4+2 piercing damage.

Baculite Shell (Quarterstaff) (versatile). Melee Weapon Attack: +3 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target.
Hit: 1d6+1 bludgeoning damage.
Versatile damage: 1d8+1 bludgeoning damage.

Net (thrown, special). Ranged Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, range 5/15 ft., one target.
Hit: A Large or smaller creature hit by a net is restrained until it is freed. A net has no effect on creatures that are formless, or creatures that are Huge or larger. A creature can use its action to make a DC 10 Strength check, freeing itself or another creature within its reach on a success. Dealing 5 slashing damage to the net (AC 10) also frees the creature without harming it, ending the effect and destroying the net.

Bonus Actions:

Primal Companion: Take Action. As a bonus action on your turn you command your Primal Companion to take another action. That action can be one in its stat block or some other action. You can also sacrifice one of your attacks when you take the Attack action to command the beast to take the Attack action. If you are incapacitated, the beast can take any action of its choice, not just Dodge.

Other:

Favored Foe. When you hit a creature with an attack roll, you can call on your mystical bond with nature to mark the target as your favored enemy for 1 minute or until you lose your concentration (as if you were concentrating on a spell).

The first time on each of your turns that you hit the favored enemy and deal damage to it, including when you mark it, you can increase that damage by 1d4.

You can use this feature to mark a favored enemy a number of times equal to your proficiency bonus, and you regain all expended uses when you finish a long rest.

This feature’s extra damage increases when you reach certain levels in this class: to 1d6 at 6th level and to 1d8 at 14th level.

Friend of the Sea. You can communicate simple ideas to any Beast with a swimming speed. It can understand your words but you cannot understand it in return.

Ammunition:

20/20 Crossbow Bolts

Class Features:

• 2/2 Favored Foe Marks
  • 3/3 1st Level Spells

Sir Not-Appearing-in-This-Game McHolyGrail IIIModri

Hill Dwarf Outlander Wild Magic Barbarian

AC: 16 (+1Dex + 3Con + 2Shield ) | HP: 30/44 (3d12+9Con Modifier 3*Level+6Tough Feat: 2*Level+3Dwarven Toughness: 1*Level) | Speed: 25'
Senses: passive Perception 11, Insight 11, Investigation 10
Str: 16 (+3) | Dex: 13 (+1) | Con: 16 (+3) | Int: 10 (+0) | Wis: 12 (+1) | Cha: 8 (-1)
Languages: You can speak, read, and write Common, Dwarvish, Elvish

Rages: 2/3 | Magic Awareness: 2/2

Mercenary Interrogation

Modri is uncharacteristically quiet during the interrogation, even afterwards. Mocking an opponent during a fight is fair game to the Dwarf. Kicking him once the fight is over is another matter. He just tries to size up the man, what kind of person sells out for so little? In truth, Modri doesn't know the amount, but feels whatever it is, it is still small compared to the deed asked of them.

He only shakes his head as they leave.

A Tense Evening

"Right. Came to town to pay respects, resupply, and be on my way. Seems like there's a lot of work to be done though. Can stay around for awhile longer until this mess is cleaned up. Ispin would've. Count me in for this exploring about." Modri gives a curt nod.

Deep inside there is a gnawing worry in him that he doesn't want to show. It's more than just a mess. No, it's a full blown disaster, he knows this. He misses the simplicity of the wilds. Still, nothing to be done about it but endure. The thoughts are distracting enough that he doesn't feel the other changes happening within.

OOC

For flavor, rolling Insight on the captured mercenary.

Name
Insight on captured mercenary
1d20+1 1

AC: 16/18 (Chain Mail +2 Shield) | HP: 31/31 (3d8+9+3) | Speed: 25 ft.

:

:

:

:

:
10 (+0)

Mercenary Interrogation

Mery certainly had a way with words when she wanted. Coltan concludes from the interrogation. He kept quiet just letting his flaming blue warhammer do any intimidation. When it appears that they were at the end, the smith asks, "did we recover that considerable gold paid to Gregonis? Where was it minted? If not local, might tell us something about the buyer."

A Tense Evening

Coltan gruffly wishes Cudgel well when she prepares to depart. "Sometimes, it's alright to let people help you. But, I recognize dwarven stubbornness when I see it."

"Should we wait for the hunters? Darrett, how far can we get to the woods if we leave now?" The smith did not enjoy sitting and drinking after Cudgel left. He wanted to get moving. Discover wants going on. Potentially get the jump on their adversaries with the element of surprise.

OOC

Action: Cast Light on holy hammer

Bonus Action:

Movement:

Reaction:

Use Object:

Actions and Resources

Actions

+1 Holy Warhammer (versatile). Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target.

Handaxe (light, thrown). Melee & Ranged Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, ranged 20/60 ft., one target.

Dagger (light, thrown). Melee & Ranged Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, ranged 20/60 ft., one target.

Cantrips

1. Sacred Flame (V, S). Spell Attack: Dex DC 13, ranged 60 ft., one target.  Fail: 1d8 radiant damage.
  2. Word of Radiance (V, M). Spell Attack: Con DC 13, ranged 5 ft., each creature of your choice. Fail: 1d6 radiant damage.
  3. Light (V,M).  You touch one object that is no larger than 10 feet in any dimension. Until the spell ends, the object sheds bright light in a 20-foot radius and dim light for an additional 20 feet. The light can be colored as you like. Completely covering the object with something opaque blocks the light. The spell ends if you cast it again or dismiss it as an action.  If you target an object held or worn by a hostile creature, that creature must succeed on a Dexterity saving throw to avoid the spell.

• Identify (V,S,M) Ritual. You choose one object that you must touch throughout the casting of the spell. If it is a magic item or some other magic-imbued object, you learn its properties and how to use them, whether it requires attunement to use, and how many charges it has, if any. You learn whether any spells are affecting the item and what they are. If the item was created by a spell, you learn which spell created it. If you instead touch a creature throughout the casting, you learn what spells, if any, are currently affecting it.
  • Searing Smite (V). The next time you hit a creature with a melee weapon attack during the spell's duration, your weapon flares with white-hot intensity, and the attack deals an extra 1d6 fire damage to the target and causes the target to ignite in flames. At the start of each of its turns until the spell ends, the target must make a Constitution saving throw. On a failed save, it takes 1d6 fire damage. On a successful save, the spell ends. If the target or a creature within 5 feet of it uses an action to put out the flames, or if some other effect douses the flames (such as the target being submerged in water), the spell ends.
  1. Bless (V,S,M).  You bless up to three creatures of your choice within 30 ft. Whenever a target makes an attack roll or a saving throw before the spell ends, the target can roll a d4 and add the number rolled to the attack roll or saving throw.  Concentration up to 1 minute.
  2. Cure Wounds (V,S).  A creature you touch regains a number of hit points equal to 1d8 + your spellcasting ability modifier. This spell has no effect on undead or constructs.
  3. Detect Magic (V,S) Ritual. For the duration, you sense the presence of magic within 30 feet of you. If you sense magic in this way, you can use your action to see a faint aura around any visible creature or object in the area that bears magic, and you learn its school of magic, if any.  The spell can penetrate most barriers, but it is blocked by 1 foot of stone, 1 inch of common metal, a thin sheet of lead, or 3 feet of wood or dirt.  Concentration up to 10 minutes.
  4. Healing Word (V) Bonus.  A creature of your choice that you can see within range regains hit points equal to 1d4 + your spellcasting ability modifier. This spell has no effect on undead or constructs.
  5. Guiding Bolt (V,S).  Make a ranged spell attack against the target within 120 feet. On a hit, the target takes 4d6 radiant damage, and the next attack roll made against this target before the end of your next turn has advantage

• Heat Metal (V,S,M) Concentration. Choose a manufactured metal object, such as a metal weapon or a suit of heavy or medium metal armor, that you can see within range. You cause the object to glow red-hot. Any creature in physical contact with the object takes 2d8 fire damage when you cast the spell. Until the spell ends, you can use a bonus action on each of your subsequent turns to cause this damage again. If a creature is holding or wearing the object and takes the damage from it, the creature must succeed on a Constitution saving throw or drop the object if it can. If it doesn't drop the object, it has disadvantage on attack rolls and ability checks until the start of your next turn.
  • Magic Weapon (V,S) Concentration. You touch a nonmagical weapon. Until the spell ends, that weapon becomes a magic weapon with a +1 bonus to attack rolls and damage rolls.
  • 6. Spiritual Weapon (V,S) Bonus. When you cast the spell, you can make a melee spell attack against a creature within 5 feet of the weapon. On a hit, the target takes force damage equal to 1d8 + your spellcasting ability modifier. As a bonus action on your turn, you can move the weapon up to 20 feet and repeat the attack against a creature within 5 feet of it.

Turn Undead.  Expend a use of your Channel Divinity as an action to make each undead that can see or hear you within 30 feet of you to make a Wisdom DC 13. If the creature fails its saving throw, it is turned for 1 minute or until it takes any damage.

Harness Divine Power.  As a bonus action, expend a use of your Channel Divinity to regain one expended spell slot, the level of which can be no higher than half your proficiency bonus (rounded up).

Artisan's Blessing. You conduct an hour-long ritual that crafts a nonmagical item that must include some metal: a simple or martial weapon, a suit of armor, ten pieces of ammunition, a set of tools, or another metal object (see chapter 5, "Equipment," in the Player's Handbook for examples of these items). The creation is completed at the end of the hour, coalescing in an unoccupied space of your choice on a surface within 5 feet of you.  The thing you create can be something that is worth no more than 100 gp. As part of this ritual, you must lay out metal, which can include coins, with a value equal to the creation. The metal irretrievably coalesces and transforms into the creation at the ritual's end, magically forming even nonmetal parts of the creation. The ritual can create a duplicate of a nonmagical item that contains metal, such as a key, if you possess the original during the ritual.

token1.png.1f361b5b69f15cd7a9ff716bb787caee.pngHunni Collic

Gully Dwarf Mage of High Sorcery Hexblade Warlock

AC: 18 (Scale Mail+2 Shield +2 Dex) | HP: 24/24 (hd 3d8) | Speed: 30 ft.
Senses: Darkvision, passive Perception 11, Insight 11, Investigation 9
StrSave: -1
Athletics: -1
:
8 (-1) | DexSave: +2
Acrobatics: +2
Slight-of-Hand: +2
Stealth: +2☆
☆ disadvantage on Dexterity (Stealth) checks from Scale Mail Armor.

Initiative: +2
:
14 (+2) | ConSave: +2: 15 (+2) | IntSave: -1
Arcana: +1
History: +1
Investigation: -1
Nature: +1
Religion: -1
:
8 (-1) | WisSave: +3
Survival: +3
:
12 (+1) | ChaSave: +5
Deception: +5
Intimidation: +3
Performance: +3
Persuasion: +3
:
17 (+3)

Languages: You can speak, read, and write Common, Gullytalk, Elven, and Dwarven

Back in Vogler

Back at the Brass Crab, Hunni is somewhat subdued. She does some more crying, although that seems to be normal for her at this point, and tries to help out as best she can. The young gully dwarf clutches her new staff, though, and the whip at her side seems, well, angry.

"My magics are... More suited to killing, than healing. Sorry," she sniffles, when asked if she can help the villagers.

Mercenary Interrogation

When the time comes to interrogate the mercenaries, Hunni sits in the back, and doesn't manage to do much to help or hinder. Frankly, it appears that she doesn't have the stomach for it, and doesn't think it likely that she can be any more intimidating than the rest of the warriors currently talking to the prisoner.

A Tense Evening

"I don't mind going into the woods, too. But after the horse kicked me... I'll need a night to heal up, in case there is a threat out there." Hunni seems sad as she says this, as though aware she might be letting people down. "Of course, if anyone is still out there after hiring the mercenaries, they are probably waiting for them to start raiding the town. If there is any danger, it might be here, in a village without a militia..."

Her words trail off, as she seems to become aware of the threat she is describing. The idea that either the ones that hired Gragonis are already gone, or the idea that if they aren't, they are probably going to march on the village tonight. The helpless village, even more so if the adventurers aren't present to defend it.

"It might be a better idea to go out in the morning."

OOC

Action:

Bonus Action:

Movement:

Reaction:

Actions and Resources

Actions

Eldritch Blast (cantrip). Ranged Spell Attack: + 5 to hit, range 120 ft, one target.
Hit: (1d10 + cha) force damage.

Infestation (cantrip). Spell: Constitution Save DC 13, range 30 ft, one target.
On failed save: (1d6) poison damage, and target must move 5' in a random direction (d4; 1-North, 2-South, 3-East, 4-West). 

Improved Pact Weapon varies, usually whip (+1 to hit, damage, spell focus)

Whip (finesse, reach). Melee Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, reach 10 ft., one target.
Hit: (1d4 + 4) slashing damage.

Battleaxe (versatile). Melee Weapon Attack: reach 5 ft., one target.
Hit: (1d8 - 1) slashing damage.
Versatile: (1d10 - 1) slashing damage.

Staff of the Python (versatile). Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target.
Hit: (1d6 +3) bludgeoning damage.
Versatile: (1d8 +3) bludgeoning damage.

☆ Note:  With Hex Warrior, can set one weapon to use Charisma instead of Strength or Dexterity for to-hit and damage.  Normally Staff of the Python, but also always Pact Weapon.

Bonus Actions

Hexblade's Curse.

Starting at 1st level, you gain the ability to place a baleful curse on someone. As a bonus action, choose one creature you can see within 30 feet of you. The target is cursed for 1 minute. The curse ends early if the target dies, you die, or you are incapacitated. Until the curse ends, you gain the following benefits:

• You gain a bonus to damage rolls against the cursed target. The bonus equals your proficiency bonus.
  • Any attack roll you make against the cursed target is a critical hit on a roll of 19 or 20 on the d20.
  • If the cursed target dies, you regain hit points equal to your warlock level + your Charisma modifier (minimum of 1 hit point).

You can’t use this feature again until you finish a short or long rest.

Grovel, Cower, and Beg (Reskinned Draconic Cry).

As a bonus action, you let out a cry at your enemies within 10 feet of you. Until the start of your next turn, you and your allies have advantage on attack rolls against any of those enemies who could hear you. You can use this trait a number of times equal to your proficiency bonus, and you regain all expended uses when you finish a long rest.

Spellcasting

Spell Slots:  2 / 2, cast at 2nd level

Hunni is a spellcaster.  Her spell slots are at 1st level.  She has 2 spell slots.  Her spellcasting attribute is Charisma.  Spell Save DC 13.  Spell Attack Modifier +5.  She can use an arcane focus as a spellcasting focus.

• Cantrips:  Eldritch Blast, Infestation, Prestidigitation
  • Spells Known:  Armor of Agathys, Wrathful Smite, Hex, Dissonant Whispers, Unseen Servant, Blur
  • Invocations:  Improved Pact Weapon, Agonizing Blast

image.png.f43e797dc98446c97baef5b972307405.pngArtanis Brightblade

Human Knight of Solamnia 

AC: 18 (Chainmail, Shield) | HP: 22/22 () | Speed: 30 ft.
Senses: passive Perception 11, Insight 13, Investigation 9
StrSave: +3

Carrying Capacity: 255 lb.
Lift/Push/Drag: 510 lb.
:
17 (+3) | DexInitiative: +2★
★ Add Cha to Initiative (class feature)
☆ disadvantage on Dexterity (Stealth) checks from Chainmail Armor.
:
 8 (–1) | ConSave: +1: 13 (+1) | IntSave: -1
Arcana: -1
History: -1
Nature: -1
:
Animal Handling: +3
:
Deception: +3
Persuasion: +7*
:
16 (+3)

Languages: You can speak, read, and write Common and Solamnic

DR3 vs nonmagical bludgeoning, slashing, piercing

My words,  | My thoughts,’  | My actions . . .

Back in Vogler

Artanis happily takes the reins from Mery as they arrive back in town, holding her ride steady for her to dismount, before leading both horses round to the stables behind the inn. Inside he's accosted by the smell of dust and dry straw, the building clearly not heavily used. He quickly puts about tidying up two stalls, leading both animals inside gently, before unhooking tack and saddle from each in turn and giving them a vigorous rub down. He chats away quietly to each as he does so, checking them over for any injuries, as well as just getting a general idea of their health. "Not sure of your names lads," he murmurs, "and your previous riders aren't in any position to share. I know you didn't know what they were up to, but it wasn't the best. I'm sorry you didn't all make it too. Perhaps some new names for a new start?" His own bay stallion offered a snort in response, warm air snuffling his hand. "You were a pretty fiery one out there you know? Stubborn too. What about Tiergan?" The horse shifts slightly, leaning up against Artanis and he laughs, "You like it? Sure then." He looks over to the other gelding waiting its turn still "You'll have to wait on Mery I think, I'm sure she'll be much better at this than I, growing up amongst scholars."

A little while later he joins the others in the common room, happy to hear the Mayor taking charge. Clearly a good man, to maintain a cool head against such events - Artanis was sure he'd never expected such a battle border town or no. Even the keep was largely historic. At Mery's request he replies kindly, waving away her offer of payment "Sure, I've just got them both away, but we can get you all fitted later this evening, and don't be silly about the money, it'll be a pleasure,"

"I'll need to teach you how to look after him a bit too if you're going to be keeping him, you can consider good care payment enough if you really like. Learning to ride properly will take a bit longer than just today, but whilst we're both in town I'm happy to put aside some time each evening. They'll need exercised anyway."

Mercenary Interrogation / A Tense Evening

During the interrogation, Artanis puts most of his energy into holding back Cudgel, largely through words but once having to grab the woman's arm. He hardly blamed her for his anger. He's just happy that Mery managed to play on the man's all to human guilt rather than any more coercive methods having to be explored. He isn't sure he could have stood back and let that happen to be honest, and is relieved none of his new companions have put him in such a situation. Kai's whisper prompts his only interruption of the proceedings. Whilst he isn't surprised that they'd be after such an artifact, especially with the rumours of its magical ability, he does want to find out if there was anything more to it. He's also reminded to ask Coltan or Decimus to help understand that magic the wizard had identified.

At the event comes to a close and Cudgel storms off, he begins wonder what will happen to their prisoner now. He has shown some remorse, and execution feels wrong. But equally there'll be no place for him amongst Cudgel's men nor the villagers. A mercenary should have some skill living off the land right? Perhaps he could find redemption in exile. Once the interrogation is concluded he asks the Mayor quietly what will happen to the man, making sure Cudgel is well out of earshot!

As they gather round the table he looks to his companions he nods heavily in agreement with Mery. "Seems too much of a coincidence we saw those monsters out raiding, and now Gragonis was paid to do the same. Who else but an evil god would want to attack a village like this?"

He nods towards Kai and Modri, "Your help will be invaluable I think - and Habbukak," he addresses towards the oddly alert osprey. "I've experience with the outdoors but I'm no woodsman. I'll just need to grab my armour again." Like Coltan, he is drawn to immediate action, though Huuni's words arrest his rise.

"You're right Hunni, I hadn't thought of that. If we catch them unawares like Gragonis did us we'd have the advantage, but I'm not sure that's worth the risk of them slipping by us and hurting more innocent people. We should organise a watch. Hopefully Cudgel returns with the rest of the loyal Ironclads tomorrow, and perhaps they can defend the town whilst we investigate?" he suggests as he takes his seat again.

OOC

Action: 

Bonus Action: 

Movement: 

Reaction: 

Object Interaction: 

Actions & Resources

Actions:

Longsword (versatile). Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 7 (1d8 + 5) slashing damage. Versatile damage: 8 (1d10 + 3) slashing damage.

Javelin (range, thrown) [3]. Thrown Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, ranged 30/120 ft., one target. Hit: 6 (1d6 + 3) piercing damage.

Battlefield Presence.When you take the Attack action, in place of making an attack, you can use your Battlefield Presence to grant a friendly creature that can see or hear you an additional attack the next time they take the Attack action during their turn. Any additional attacks granted that are unused at the start of your next turn are lost. A friendly creature can only gain one additional attack from this feature per round from this feature.

Bonus Actions:

Rallying Mark As a bonus action, you can expend a number of Leadership Dice (up to your per turn limit) to rally your allies to attack a hostile creature within 60 feet of you.

The next time damage is rolled against that target by an allied creature before the start of your next turn, they can add the Leadership Dice to the damage roll, and the attacking creature regains hit points equal to the amount rolled on the Leadership Dice.

Urgent Orders As a bonus action, you can expend a number of Leadership Dice (up to your per turn limit) to guide your allies in expeditious action.

Target an allied creature within 60 feet of you that can see or hear you, that creature can immediately use its reaction to move up to its movement speed (up to a maximum of 30 feet) without provoking opportunity attacks. Roll the leadership dice expended, the target gains temporary hit points equal to the value rolled.

Helpful Word As a bonus action, you can spend a Leadership Die to take the Help action. When you use the Help action to aid an ally in attacking a creature, the target of that attack can be within 30 feet of you, rather than within 5 feet of you, if your ally can see or hear you.

Class Features:

Precise Strike. 2/2 (Long Rest)

Leadership Dice (d6). 3/3 (Short Rest, 1/turn)

Lead the Charge. When you roll initiative you gain temporary hit points equal to your Charisma modifier + your proficiency bonus (5 THP).

Edited by PureChance (see edit history)

token_1.png.ba18d35c074c2d2a05b1e13a8e573631.pngDecimus - Initiate of High Sorcery | Bladesinger Wizard | Human

AC: 13  | HP: 14/14 | Speed: 30 ft | Spell-casting: +5 / DC 13
Senses: Passive Perception 12, Insight 12, Investigation 15
STR: Score: -1
| DEXScore: +3
Stealth: +3
Sleight of Hand: +3
:
 16 | CONScore: 214 | INTScore: +3
Arcana: +5
History: +5
Investigation: +5
Nature: +3
Religion: +5
:
 16 | WISScore: 0

Animal Handling: 0
Insight: +2
Medicine: 0
Perception: +2
Survival: 0
:
 10 | CHAScore: -1

:

Languages: Common, Abyssal, Celestial, Primordial

FeatsWar CasterPrerequisite: The ability to cast at least one spell
You have practiced casting Spells in the midst of Combat, learning Techniques that grant you the following benefits:
You have advantage on Constitution Saving Throws that you make to maintain your Concentration on a spell when you take damage.
You can perform the somatic Components of Spells even when you have Weapons or a Shield in one or both hands.
When a Hostile creature’s Movement provokes an opportunity Attack from you, you can use your Reaction to Cast a Spell at the creature, rather than making an opportunity Attack. The spell must have a Casting Time of 1 Action and must target only that creature.

| FeaturesRitual CastingYou can cast a wizard spell as a ritual if that spell has the ritual tag and you have the spell in your spellbook. You don’t need to have the spell prepared.
Arcane RecoverYou have learned to regain some of your magical energy by studying your spellbook. Once per day when you finish a short rest, you can choose expended spell slots to recover. The spell slots can have a combined level that is equal to or less than half your wizard level (rounded up), and none of the slots can be 6th level or higher. For example, if you’re a 4th-level wizard, you can recover up to two levels worth of spell slots. You can recover either a 2nd-level spell slot or two 1st-level spell slots.
BladesongYou can invoke an elven magic called the Bladesong, provided that you aren't wearing medium or heavy armor or using a shield. It graces you with supernatural speed, agility, and focus. You can use a bonus action to start the Bladesong, which lasts for 1 minute. It ends early if you are incapacitated, if you don medium or heavy armor or a shield, or if you use two hands to make an attack with a weapon. You can also dismiss the Bladesong at any time (no action required). While your Bladesong is active, you gain the following benefits: You gain a bonus to your AC equal to your Intelligence modifier (minimum of +1). Your walking speed increases by 10 feet. You have advantage on Dexterity (Acrobatics) checks. You gain a bonus to any Constitution saving throw you make to maintain your concentration on a spell. The bonus equals your Intelligence modifier (minimum of +1). You can use this feature a number of times equal to your proficiency bonus, and you regain all expended uses of it when you finish a long rest.

| ActionsRapierATTACK: DEX [3]+ Proficiency [2]
RANGE: 5ft
MAGIC BONUS: 0
CRIT RANGE: 20
DAMAGE: 1d8 + DEX [3]
TYPE: Piercing
DESCRIPTION: melee weapon (martial, sword)

Bladesinging Rapier StrikeATTACK: DEX [3]+ Proficiency [2]

| SpellsCantrips
Blade WardBlade Ward
Abjuration cantrip
Casting Time:1 action
Range: Self
Target: Self
Components: V S
Duration: 1 round
Description:You extend your hand and trace a sigil of warding in the air. Until the end of your next turn, you have resistance against bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing damage dealt by weapon attacks.

Booming BladeBooming Blade
Evocation cantrip
Range: Self (5ft radius)
Target: One creature within the spell’s range
Components: V, M (a melee weapon worth at least 1 sp)
Description:You brandish the weapon used in the spell's casting and make a melee attack with it against one creature within 5 feet of you. On a hit, the target suffers the weapon attack’s normal effects and then becomes sheathed in booming energy until the start of your next turn. If the target willingly moves 5 feet or more before then, it immediately takes 1d8 thunder damage, and the spell ends. This spell’s damage increases when you reach certain levels. At 5th level, the melee attack deals an extra 1d8 thunder damage to the target on a hit, and the damage the target takes for moving increases to 2d8. Both damage rolls increase by 1d8 at 11th level (2d8 and 3d8) and again at 17th level (3d8 and 4d8).

Green Flame Blade1st Level Evocation
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: Self (5-foot radius)
Duration: Instantaneous
Classes: Sorcerer, Warlock, Wizard
Description: You brandish the weapon used in the spell's casting and make a melee attack with it against one creature within 5 feet of you. On a hit, the target suffers the weapon attack’s normal effects, and you can cause green fire to leap from the target to a different creature of your choice that you can see within 5 feet of it. The second creature takes fire damage equal to your spellcasting ability modifier. This spell’s damage increases when you reach certain levels. At 5th level, the melee attack deals an extra 1d8 fire damage to the target on a hit, and the fire damage to the second creature increases to 1d8 + your spellcasting ability modifier. Both damage rolls increase by 1d8 at 11th level (2d8 and 2d8) and 17th level (3d8 and 3d8).

1st-Level
Expeditious Retreat1st Level Transmutation
Casting Time: 1 bonus action
Duration: Concentration, up to 10 minutes
Classes: Artificer, Sorcerer, Warlock, Wizard
Description: This spell allows you to move at an incredible pace. When you cast this spell, and then as a bonus action on each of your turns until the spell ends, you can take the Dash action.

Magic Missile1st Level Evocation
Range: 120ft
Target: A creature of your choice that you can see within range
Classes: Sorcerer, Wizard
Description: You create three glowing darts of magical force. Each dart hits a creature of your choice that you can see within range. A dart deals 1d4 + 1 force damage to its target. The darts all strike simultaneously, and you can direct them to hit one creature or several. At Higher Levels: When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 2nd level or higher, the spell creates one more dart for each slot level above 1st.

Tensors Floating Disk1st Level Conjuration
Casting Time: 1 Action
Range: 30 Feet
Target: An unoccupied space of your choice that you can see within range
Components: V S M (A drop of mercury)
Duration: 1 Hour
Classes: Wizard
Description: This spell creates a circular, horizontal plane of force, 3 feet in diameter and 1 inch thick, that floats 3 feet above the ground in an unoccupied space of your choice that you can see within range. The disk remains for the duration, and can hold up to 500 pounds. If more weight is placed on it, the spell ends, and everything on the disk falls to the ground. The disk is immobile while you are within 20 feet of it. If you move more than 20 feet away from it, the disk follows you so that it remains within 20 feet of you. It can move across uneven terrain, up or down stairs, slopes and the like, but it can’t cross an elevation change of 10 feet or more. For example, the disk can’t move across a 10-foot-deep pit, nor could it leave such a pit if it was created at the bottom. If you move more than 100 feet from the disk (typically because it can’t move around an obstacle to follow you), the spell ends.

Tash's Hideous Laughter1st Level Enchantment
Components: V S M (Tiny tarts and a feather that is waved in the air)
Duration: Concentration, up to 1 minute
Classes: Bard, Wizard
Description: A creature of your choice that you can see within range perceives everything as hilariously funny and falls into fits of laughter if this spell affects it. The target must succeed on a Wisdom saving throw or fall prone, becoming incapacitated and unable to stand up for the duration. A creature with an Intelligence score of 4 or less isn’t affected. At the end of each of its turns, and each time it takes damage, the target can make another Wisdom saving throw. The target has advantage on the saving throw if it’s triggered by damage. On a success, the spell ends.

Identify1st Level Divination [Ritual]
Casting Time: 1 Minute
Range: Touch
Target: One object that you must touch throughout the casting of the spell
Components: V S M (A pearl worth at least 100 gp and an owl feather)
Classes: Artificer, Bard, Wizard
Description: You choose one object that you must touch throughout the casting of the spell. If it is a magic item or some other magic-imbued object, you learn its properties and how to use them, whether it requires attunement to use, and how many charges it has, if any. You learn whether any spells are affecting the item and what they are. If the item was created by a spell, you learn which spell created it. If you instead touch a creature throughout the casting, you learn what spells, if any, are currently affecting it.

Detect Magic1st Level Divination
Classes: Artificer, Bard, Cleric, Druid, Paladin, Ranger, Sorcerer, Wizard
Description: For the duration, you sense the presence of magic within 30 feet of you. If you sense magic in this way, you can use your action to see a faint aura around any visible creature or object in the area that bears magic, and you learn its school of magic, if any. The spell can penetrate most barriers, but it is blocked by 1 foot of stone, 1 inch of common metal, a thin sheet of lead, or 3 feet of wood or dirt.

Absorb Elements1st Level Abjuration
Casting Time: 1 Reaction, which you take when you take acid, cold, fire, lightning, or thunder damage
Components: S
Classes: Artificer, Druid, Ranger, Sorcerer, Wizard
Description: The spell captures some of the incoming energy, lessening its effect on you and storing it for your next melee attack. You have resistance to the triggering damage type until the start of your next turn. Also, the first time you hit with a melee attack on your next turn, the target takes an extra 1d6 damage of the triggering type, and the spell ends. At Higher Levels: When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 2nd level or higher, the extra damage increases by 1d6 for each slot level above 1st.

Charm Person1st Level Enchantment
Target: A humanoid you can see within range
Classes: Bard, Druid, Sorcerer, Warlock, Wizard
Description: You attempt to charm a humanoid you can see within range. It must make a Wisdom saving throw, and does so with advantage if you or your companions are fighting it. If it fails the saving throw, it is charmed by you until the spell ends or until you or your companions do anything harmful to it. The charmed creature regards you as a friendly acquaintance. When the spell ends, the creature knows it was charmed by you.
At Higher Levels: When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 2nd level or higher, you can target one additional creature for each slot level above 1st. The creatures must be within 30 feet of each other when you target them.

Comprehend Languages1st Level Divination [Ritual]
Components: V S M (A pinch of soot and salt)
Classes: Bard, Sorcerer, Warlock, Wizard
Description: For the duration, you understand the literal meaning of any spoken language that you hear. You also understand any written language that you see, but you must be touching the surface on which the words are written. It takes about 1 minute to read one page of text. This spell doesn’t decode secret messages in a text or a glyph, such as an arcane sigil, that isn’t part of a written language.
[Initiate of High Sorcery Feat]
Shield1st Level Abjuration
Casting Time: 1 reaction, which you take when you are hit by an attack or targeted by the magic missile spell
Duration: 1 Round
Description: An invisible barrier of magical force appears and protects you. Until the start of your next turn, you have a +5 bonus to AC, including against the triggering attack, and you take no damage from magic missile.
2nd-Level
Misty Step2nd Level Conjuration
Casting Time: 1 Bonus Action
Components: V
Description: Briefly surrounded by silvery mist, you teleport up to 30 feet to an unoccupied space that you can see.

Shadow Blade2nd Level Illusion
Components: V, S
Duration: ConcentrationUp to 1 minute/em>
Description: You weave together threads of shadow to create a sword of solidified gloom in your hand. This magic sword lasts until the spell ends. It counts as a simple melee weapon with which you are proficient. It deals 2d8 psychic damage on a hit and has the finesse, light, and thrown properties (range 20/60). In addition, when you use the sword to attack a target that is in dim light or darkness, you make the attack roll with advantage.
If you drop the weapon or throw it, it dissipates at the end of the turn. Thereafter, while the spell persists, you can use a bonus action to cause the sword to reappear in your hand.
At Higher Levels When you cast this spell using a 3rd- or 4th-level spell slot, the damage increases to 3d8. When you cast it using a 5th- or 6th-level spell slot, the damage increases to 4d8. When you cast it using a spell slot of 7th level or higher, the damage increases to 5d8.

Back in Volger

Arriving back at the Brass Crab, the town is uncomfortably quiet. There are people working hard, but the usual chatter that filled the air was nonexistent, and Decimus felt the hairs on the back of his neck stand on end in unease. The storm had just passed, but he could not stop himself from thinking that they were about to weather an even greater one. While they recovered in the inn, he said little to most of the townsfolk, the only memorable moment was needing to apologize when the mayor requested magical aid, pontificating that his magic was not the sort that would really be of any use in this situation, unless there was someone who needed languages comprehended, which was about the most supplementary spell he had the skill to cast. When Mery requested his assistance in recognizing what sort of magical properties the lute she now carried possessed, he had to shrug half-heartedly at her request, as unfortunately, he was no closer to having the ingredients for the spell now than he had been earlier.

"If we get the chance to get some supplies, I can acquire the materials necessary for the spell, but unless we had a pearl of some reasonable value in that hoard, I don't have the ability to Identify it just yet... There is also the matter of this..."

Pulling his still sodden spellbook from his robes, he held it out. The arcane symbols and evocations required for him to perform the spell were ruined, and until he took the time to get them back on paper, he would be useless without them. Sighing, another apology passed his lips and he moved on as she went to speak with Artanis about her new mount. The Wizard was still a little disappointed with himself regarding his own attempts at wrangling the remarkable creature, he would have felt quite capable atop such a magnificent stallion. But alas. While the others interrogate the captured enemy, he takes his time working on getting his new Spellbook up to date. Two of the spells were ok and are easily transmutable, but he began to work on Identify, getting the spell back in the new book so that he could be as useful as possible to his friends more quickly. By the time the interrogation is over, and the others have filled him in, it seems as though Cudgel is preparing to storm the gates, much to the Mayors chagrin. Going alone, while honorable, in his opinion is quite stupid. While none of his skills here would be any use here, assisting Cudgel in her search was more in line with his skills. He had made it through the battle without a scratch, and even though he was operating with fewer spells than he would like, what he could currently perform was more than enough for a scouting mission.

A Tense Evening

"I'll join the morning scouting party as well, my skills are suited for little else..."

Decimus sat quietly as the evening moved by ever so slowly. Cudgel had gone and the Wizard was full of an uncomfortable energy that made him unable to sleep, which was unfortunate given it was his favourite activity. Alongside the others, he had volunteered to scout in the forest in the morning, but he had a growing uneasiness in his chest that only contributed to his sleepless feeling. Instead, he focuses on repairing his spellbook, but in such an agitated state, progress was slow. Unlike the rest, the battle had not weighed heavily on him, he was neither wounded, nor had he exhausted his magic, the only signs that he had been involved at all were the stains of blood and earth on his robes. It was too late in the night to fix it now, and given the current circumstances, it seemed rather silly he was worried about it at all.

spacer.png

OOCAction:

Bonus Action:

Movement:

Reaction:

Edited by tyrtaeus (see edit history)

spacer.png                       Meryelle "Mery" Keryndon

Level 3 Half-Elf Sage College of Lore Bard

AC: 13 (Leather Armor) | HP: 18/25 | Speed: 30 ft.
Senses:  Darkvision 60 ft; Passive Perception 11, Passive Insight 11, Passive Investigation 14
Str:Save: -1
Athletics: +0

8 (-1) | Dex:Initiative: +2
Slight-of-Hand: +3
Stealth: +4
14 (+4) | Con:Save: +2 14 (+2) | Int:Save: +2
Arcana: +4
History: +4
Investigation: +4
Nature: +4
Religion: +4
14 (+2) | Wis:Save: +0
Survival: +1
11 (+0) | Cha:Save: +5
Deception: +7
Performance: +5
Persuasion: +7
16 (+5)

Languages:  Common, Elven, Solamnic, Kharolian, and Draconic
Spell-casting: +5 or DC 131st 4/4 2nd 2/2 | Bardic Inspiration: 0/3

“My words,” | ‘My thoughts,’  | My actions

When Artanis agrees to her request, a weight lifts off of Mery's shoulders. At the same time. she feels off-balance, like a child who has just been given a gift only to realize they aren't completely sure what to do with it. After several seconds, she manages to get out, "That would be most acceptable. I thank you, and shall look forward to both the lessons and the riding, for my horse's sake. He deserves more competent care than I can currently provide."

Decimus' response concerns her. She places a hand on his arm and gazes earnestly into his one good eye. "No, you misunderstand me. I asked you to do this only because I saw the appreciation in your eye when you saw the lute. I simply thought that you might enjoy being able to handle such a fine instrument and learn its secrets. I am in no rush - I can't even play the thing. Take as much time as you need to repair your spellbook and acquire the necessary pearl." Lowering her tone so that only Decimus can hear her, she speaks a single additional sentence to the wizard, her manner soft and gentle.

For Tyrtaeus only

"And Decimus, there's one other thing - you have more value than simply what you can do for other people." She debates saying more, but decides this is enough. For now.

When the wizard suggests a morning scouting run, she is quick to add, "If Artanis does not need me for horse lessons in the morning or if we can arrange things so I can both have the lessons AND scout with you, I should like to join you. I also have some capacity for scouting, and if we encounter any of the lizards, I can understand them without magical means. Two are better than one, because they can help each other in the event of unexpected trouble."

She tells Hunni, "I could cast a healing spell on you if you wanted. However, if you are right and Vogler is still in danger, it might be better to save it against a possible ambush during the night, as it could save a life. Personally, I think Ser Artanis has the right idea - and I would second his notion that an overnight watch is called for. An alert watch could avoid the need of having any lives that need saving with my spell."

To the group at large, she announces, "I myself can see better than most humans in natural darkness, so should definitely stand one of the watches. You can consider me the first volunteer for watch duty. But if I'm getting up early to scout with Decimus, an earlier watch would definitely be better for me, one of the first two, if that would be possible."

OOC

Action: 

Bonus Action: —

Movement: —

Reaction:

Mount Movement:

Mount Action: —

Actions & Resources

Actions:

Shortbow (simple, ranged, ammunition, two-handed). Ranged Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, ranged 80/320 ft., one target.
                                                                                   Hit:  (1d6 + 2) piercing damage. 

Dagger (light, ranged or melee). Ranged Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, ranged 20/80 ft., one target.
                                                   Hit: (1d4 + 2) piercing damage.
                                                                   Melee Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target.

Hit: (1d4+2) piercing damage.

Bonus Actions:

Healing Word

A creature of your choice that you can see within range regains hit points equal to 1d4 + your spellcasting ability modifier. This spell has no effect on undead or constructs.

At Higher Levels. When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 2nd level or higher, the healing increases by 1d4 for each slot level above 1st.

Bardic Inspiration (3 per long rest, for 1d6)

As a bonus action, a creature (other than yourself) within 60 ft. that can hear you gains an inspiration die (1d6). For 10 minutes, the creature can add it to one ability check, attack roll, or saving throw. This can be added after seeing the roll, but before knowing the outcome.

Ammunition:

20 arrows in quiver, 3 arrow bundles in backpack.

Spellcasting:

Mery is a 2nd-level spellcaster. Her spellcasting ability is Charisma (spell save DC 13, +5 to hit with spell attacks). She has the following bard spells available for spontaneous casting from her first level slots: 

• Cantrips (2/2 slots): prestidigitation, vicious mockery
  • 1st level (4/4 slots): healing word, hideous laughter, cure wounds, unseen servant
  • 2nd (2/2 slots): aid, heat metal

Class Features:

• 3/3 Bardic Inspiration, recovered after a long rest
  • Song of Rest (Use on any short rest - anyone who hears her performance and chooses to regain a hit die gains an extra 1d6 of HP.)
  • Jack of All Trades (add 1/2 proficiency bonus, rounded down, to any ability check you make that doesn't already include your proficiency bonus.)
  • Bardic College = College of Lore. Gain expertise in 2 skills you already have proficiency in, and proficiency in 3 new skills. (Choosing Persuasion and Deception for Expertise, adding Nature, Stealth, and Religion for Proficiency.)

OOC

OOC comments, if I have them, go here.

Edited by tbgg (see edit history)

Date

On This Palast, the 22nd Day of Brookgreen,
(Monday, March 22, 351 AC)

The 2nd Day of the Campaign

spacer.png Ser Becklin Uth Viharin Darrett Highwater, Ser Becklin’s Squire Ridomir “Cudgel” Ironsmile Mayor Raven Uth Vogler
Yalme Ser Becklin Uth Viharin Darrett Highwater,
Ser Becklin’s Squire
Ridomir “Cudgel” Ironsmile Mayor Raven Uth Vogler

“Aye. The gods have returned. I am an apprentice of Reorx and can channel some of His divine power. I have done all that I can for the wounded today.”

Mayor Raven thanks Coltan for his efforts and asks if he would help them erect a proper shrine to Reorx—a sentiment echoed eagerly by the several people who had witnessed the miraculous healing he’d performed.

“Yes! We’d like to learn more about Reorx!” they chorus.

“Where can we get his symbols? Could you make them for us?” One of them asks.

When Hunni says, “My magics are... More suited to killing, than healing. Sorry,” and Merituuli says, “Well, I don’t have any healing magic, as far as I’m aware. To be entirely honest, I’m... kind of new to this in general. I’m still getting a hang of it, but I might be able to help in other ways?”, the mayor nods.

“Anything is better than nothing, so ply your talents where you can. I have dread feeling that you’ll be doing a lot more of that killing in the near future. Still, you all have my—and Vogler’s—thanks.”

When Mery gives the picture to Yalme, she accepts it happily through her tears. “This attack . . . all these dead . . . it’s so horrible . . . but this picture is beautiful—a light in the darkness. Thank you, Miss Mery!”

When it appears that they were at the end, Coltan asks, “did we recover that considerable gold paid to Gregonis? Where was it minted? If not local, might tell us something about the buyer.”

Cudgel answers him. “All that money you looted—and I fully endorse that it is yours by right of conquest—is basically the pay those mercenaries have earned thus far but haven’t already spent on booze, gambling, and softer company.”

Mayor Raven holds up a single gold coin confiscated from the bound mercenary they’re interrogating. Inspecting it, watching the candlelight glint off it, she comments, “These, however, are certainly no coin I’ve ever seen. Pray tell, what city or country mints gold coins with a five-headed dragon on one side and visage of a deathknight on the other?” She passes the coin around to the party. To them, she says, “If you find any of those in your loot—or any other coin of similar make, I’ll exchange them for our coins—I’d rather you not be called into question using any of these, and I can just melt them down and send the material to the royal mint for re-minting . . . though, if you want to keep a couple of each just to show for discrete investigations in the future . . .”

Before Cudgel goes, Merituuli gives her a strained smile and says, “Come back safe, alright? I’m not ready to lose another mentor figure. One is more than enough.”

“Thank you, Merituuli,” she answers. “We haven’t known one another for long—just a day, if that—but it’s an honor to be thought of that way. The way you and your companions fought, it brought honor to my late friend, Ispin. Don’t worry, I’ll be back with a report. If I’m not back by tomorrow, highsun, then don’t waste valuable lives or resources trying to find me; work towards securing Vogler against any further incursion. We mercenaries . . . we fight, but we’re not soldiers ready to lay siege to a well defended town, so if worse comes to worse, making it not worth their while will make them head to where they can find more profitable work.”

“I think it’s just possible that the mercs might be in league with those lizards we encountered before we arrived in Vogler,” Mery says. “I understand Draconic, which is the language the lizards speak. I’d like to volunteer to go with the hunters you send out, Mayor Raven. If the two groups really are working together, having someone who can understand the lizards might be crucial to understanding their plans.”

“Then your skills will be invaluable,” Mayor Raven answers. “Especially if we capture any—if they can be captured. However, I don’t want any of you doing anything reckless and ending up killed.”

“That’s a bit more related to my skills, Mayor Raven. Kalasääski and I will be able to get a good survey of the area.” Merituuli scratches the feathered head of his newfound osprey companion for emphasis.

“Your group is proving perfect for the job. I was just about to send a band of our best hunters to go investigate, but you lot seems better suited.”

“Right. Came to town to pay respects, resupply, and be on my way. Seems like there’s a lot of work to be done though. Can stay around for awhile longer until this mess is cleaned up. Ispin would’ve. Count me in for this exploring about.” Modri gives a curt nod.

“Consider our supplies—whatever you need—fully, and freely, at your disposal, Mr. Modri,” the mayor says.

“Should we wait for the hunters? Darrett, how far can we get to the woods if we leave now?” The smith did not enjoy sitting and drinking after Cudgel left. He wanted to get moving. Discover wants going on. Potentially get the jump on their adversaries with the element of surprise.

Darrett answers that he doesn’t know how long it’ll take, but he’s familiar with the area, so he can guide you until you find what you’re looking for.

Artanis says, “Seems too much of a coincidence we saw those monsters out raiding, and now Gragonis was paid to do the same. Who else but an evil god would want to attack a village like this?”

Mayor Raven holds up that dragon coin again. “Hmm . . . I wonder just what ‘evil god’ that might be, Ser Artanis?” She winks at him. The situation is serious, but some levity might just be in order, lest they drown in the oppressive atmosphere.

“I don’t mind going into the woods, too. But after the horse kicked me... I’ll need a night to heal up, in case there is a threat out there.” Hunni seems sad as she says this, as though aware she might be letting people down. “Of course, if anyone is still out there after hiring the mercenaries, they are probably waiting for them to start raiding the town. If there is any danger, it might be here, in a village without a militia…” Her words trail off, as she seems to become aware of the threat she is describing. “It might be a better idea to go out in the morning.”

“You’re right Hunni, I hadn’t thought of that. If we catch them unawares like Gragonis did us we’d have the advantage, but I’m not sure that’s worth the risk of them slipping by us and hurting more innocent people. We should organise a watch. Hopefully Cudgel returns with the rest of the loyal Ironclads tomorrow, and perhaps they can defend the town whilst we investigate?” Artanis suggests as he takes his seat again.

“As much as I’d rather not wait . . .” Mayor Raven says, “I agree it’s better for you all to rest up and be refreshed and fully ready to face what you might tomorrow. All of you look terribly exhausted. I think what I’ll do is have my hunters patrol the area—but leave the scouting to you on the morrow.”

“I’ll join the morning scouting party as well, my skills are suited for little else...” Decimus says.

“Don’t count yourself short Mr. Decimus,” Mayor Raven says. “Oh, and I’ve heard that you had a very unfortunate accident during the fishing contest—of course, I saw you fall in the water, and like everyone else, I thought it was merely funny. I have since been given to understand that your valuable spell book has been nearly ruined! In thanks for your valiant fight on High Hill, I’d like to offer from the town’s coffers the value of the spells you need to replace.”

To Mery, the Mayor says, “I’m sure Ser Artanis can help you with your new horse after you get back from scouting—the earlier you go, the better . . . and I didn’t know you could heal, too! Anything you can do would be most appreciated! Finally, if you’d like to join the patrol tonight, I was just about to head out and organize the first watch. Just follow me. To the rest of you, I bid you a good night. Rest up, heal up, and get ready for anything tomorrow morning—crack of dawn, if you would be so kind.”

With that she gets up and leaves, taking Mery with her.

She organizes a patrol and Mery’s watch lasts for one hour—there’s quite enough people that it needn’t be for very long: just enough to ‘circle’ the village a couple of times. Nothing of note happens.

The Next Day

Date

On This Magetag, the 23rd Day of Brookgreen,
(Tuesday, March 23, 351 AC)

The 3rd Day of the Campaign

At the crack of dawn, on the morning after the attack at High Hill, you all head into the woods west of Vogler with Darrett Highwater, where Gragonis met with a mysterious sponsor.

You find a small wooded area an hour west of the village. Spending an hour searching the woods, you find strange tracks. Some of these tracks are boot prints, while others are clawed, reptilian feet. The tracks wind north through the woods.

Following the tracks takes more than an hour, leading you all from the woods into rugged hills. In a valley, you see the following:

The woods give way to a ledge overlooking a shallow valley. In the distance, dozens of low fires illuminate hundreds of red tents. Among them move patrols of hooded, shadowy, humanlike figures. Over a thousand soldiers occupy the camp—an entire army.

Edited by Kamishiro_Rin (see edit history)

AC: 18 (Chain Mail +2 Shield) | HP: 31/31 (3d8+9+3) | Speed: 25 ft.

:

:

:

:

:
10 (+0)

About Last Night

Coltan was happy with the attention on Reorx by the mayor and fellow Volgerians, "Reorx is the Worldsmith. With his forging hammer and the direction of the High God, Reorx forged the world, the stars, and the souls of mortals into existence from the essence of Chaos. That's why his symbol is the smith's forging hammer. He has returned and blessed me with this holy hammer." He displays his bluish steel warhammer which continues to burn with a heatless, magical blue flame.

Listening to the answer to his question about the minted gold, the smith holds his breath when he sees the five-headed dragon. "As I suspected. Reorx's return is not by chance. The Queen of Darkness has returned, too. And, She will seek to dominate again. That symbol is Hers." The dwarf stops drinking more than thin beer after that revelation. Quiet in silent contemplation about what the potential ramifications of Her return could mean.

The Next Day

Coltan barely slept during the night, restless to pursue the potential lead and emissary of the Queen. He patiently waited by the door for his companions to be ready.

The smith demonstrates that he is a surprisingly good tracker. All those years on the road with his parents, he replies when he pulls more than his weight finding clues along the way.

Arriving at the overlook, the dwarf sharply inhales when he sees the thousand-soldier army. After slowly releasing his breath, he asks, "Artanis, do you recognize those banners? Please say that they are friendlies." Volger was not ready for another battle.

OOC

Action: Track

Bonus Action:

Movement:

Reaction:

Use Object:

Actions and Resources

Actions

Cantrips

token_1.png.ba18d35c074c2d2a05b1e13a8e573631.pngDecimus - Initiate of High Sorcery | Bladesinger Wizard | Human

AC: 13  | HP: 14/14 | Speed: 30 ft | Spell-casting: +5 / DC 13
Senses: Passive Perception 12, Insight 12, Investigation 15
STR: Score: -1
| DEXScore: +3
Stealth: +3
Sleight of Hand: +3
:
 16 | CONScore: 214 | INTScore: +3
Arcana: +5
History: +5
Investigation: +5
Nature: +3
Religion: +5
:
 16 | WISScore: 0

Animal Handling: 0
Insight: +2
Medicine: 0
Perception: +2
Survival: 0
:
 10 | CHAScore: -1

:

Languages: Common, Abyssal, Celestial, Primordial

FeatsWar CasterPrerequisite: The ability to cast at least one spell
You have practiced casting Spells in the midst of Combat, learning Techniques that grant you the following benefits:
You have advantage on Constitution Saving Throws that you make to maintain your Concentration on a spell when you take damage.
You can perform the somatic Components of Spells even when you have Weapons or a Shield in one or both hands.
When a Hostile creature’s Movement provokes an opportunity Attack from you, you can use your Reaction to Cast a Spell at the creature, rather than making an opportunity Attack. The spell must have a Casting Time of 1 Action and must target only that creature.

| FeaturesRitual CastingYou can cast a wizard spell as a ritual if that spell has the ritual tag and you have the spell in your spellbook. You don’t need to have the spell prepared.
Arcane RecoverYou have learned to regain some of your magical energy by studying your spellbook. Once per day when you finish a short rest, you can choose expended spell slots to recover. The spell slots can have a combined level that is equal to or less than half your wizard level (rounded up), and none of the slots can be 6th level or higher. For example, if you’re a 4th-level wizard, you can recover up to two levels worth of spell slots. You can recover either a 2nd-level spell slot or two 1st-level spell slots.
BladesongYou can invoke an elven magic called the Bladesong, provided that you aren't wearing medium or heavy armor or using a shield. It graces you with supernatural speed, agility, and focus. You can use a bonus action to start the Bladesong, which lasts for 1 minute. It ends early if you are incapacitated, if you don medium or heavy armor or a shield, or if you use two hands to make an attack with a weapon. You can also dismiss the Bladesong at any time (no action required). While your Bladesong is active, you gain the following benefits: You gain a bonus to your AC equal to your Intelligence modifier (minimum of +1). Your walking speed increases by 10 feet. You have advantage on Dexterity (Acrobatics) checks. You gain a bonus to any Constitution saving throw you make to maintain your concentration on a spell. The bonus equals your Intelligence modifier (minimum of +1). You can use this feature a number of times equal to your proficiency bonus, and you regain all expended uses of it when you finish a long rest.

| ActionsRapierATTACK: DEX [3]+ Proficiency [2]

Bladesinging Rapier StrikeATTACK: DEX [3]+ Proficiency [2]

| SpellsCantrips
Blade WardBlade Ward
Abjuration cantrip
Description:You extend your hand and trace a sigil of warding in the air. Until the end of your next turn, you have resistance against bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing damage dealt by weapon attacks.

Booming BladeBooming Blade
Evocation cantrip
Range: Self (5ft radius)
Description:You brandish the weapon used in the spell's casting and make a melee attack with it against one creature within 5 feet of you. On a hit, the target suffers the weapon attack’s normal effects and then becomes sheathed in booming energy until the start of your next turn. If the target willingly moves 5 feet or more before then, it immediately takes 1d8 thunder damage, and the spell ends. This spell’s damage increases when you reach certain levels. At 5th level, the melee attack deals an extra 1d8 thunder damage to the target on a hit, and the damage the target takes for moving increases to 2d8. Both damage rolls increase by 1d8 at 11th level (2d8 and 3d8) and again at 17th level (3d8 and 4d8).

Green Flame Blade1st Level Evocation
Range: Self (5-foot radius)
Classes: Sorcerer, Warlock, Wizard
Description: You brandish the weapon used in the spell's casting and make a melee attack with it against one creature within 5 feet of you. On a hit, the target suffers the weapon attack’s normal effects, and you can cause green fire to leap from the target to a different creature of your choice that you can see within 5 feet of it. The second creature takes fire damage equal to your spellcasting ability modifier. This spell’s damage increases when you reach certain levels. At 5th level, the melee attack deals an extra 1d8 fire damage to the target on a hit, and the fire damage to the second creature increases to 1d8 + your spellcasting ability modifier. Both damage rolls increase by 1d8 at 11th level (2d8 and 2d8) and 17th level (3d8 and 3d8).

1st-Level
Expeditious Retreat1st Level Transmutation
Casting Time: 1 bonus action
Classes: Artificer, Sorcerer, Warlock, Wizard
Description: This spell allows you to move at an incredible pace. When you cast this spell, and then as a bonus action on each of your turns until the spell ends, you can take the Dash action.

Magic Missile1st Level Evocation
Range: 120ft
Description: You create three glowing darts of magical force. Each dart hits a creature of your choice that you can see within range. A dart deals 1d4 + 1 force damage to its target. The darts all strike simultaneously, and you can direct them to hit one creature or several. At Higher Levels: When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 2nd level or higher, the spell creates one more dart for each slot level above 1st.

Tensors Floating Disk1st Level Conjuration
Target: An unoccupied space of your choice that you can see within range
Components: V S M (A drop of mercury)
Classes: Wizard
Description: This spell creates a circular, horizontal plane of force, 3 feet in diameter and 1 inch thick, that floats 3 feet above the ground in an unoccupied space of your choice that you can see within range. The disk remains for the duration, and can hold up to 500 pounds. If more weight is placed on it, the spell ends, and everything on the disk falls to the ground. The disk is immobile while you are within 20 feet of it. If you move more than 20 feet away from it, the disk follows you so that it remains within 20 feet of you. It can move across uneven terrain, up or down stairs, slopes and the like, but it can’t cross an elevation change of 10 feet or more. For example, the disk can’t move across a 10-foot-deep pit, nor could it leave such a pit if it was created at the bottom. If you move more than 100 feet from the disk (typically because it can’t move around an obstacle to follow you), the spell ends.

Tash's Hideous Laughter1st Level Enchantment
Components: V S M (Tiny tarts and a feather that is waved in the air)
Duration: Concentration, up to 1 minute
Classes: Bard, Wizard
Description: A creature of your choice that you can see within range perceives everything as hilariously funny and falls into fits of laughter if this spell affects it. The target must succeed on a Wisdom saving throw or fall prone, becoming incapacitated and unable to stand up for the duration. A creature with an Intelligence score of 4 or less isn’t affected. At the end of each of its turns, and each time it takes damage, the target can make another Wisdom saving throw. The target has advantage on the saving throw if it’s triggered by damage. On a success, the spell ends.

Identify1st Level Divination [Ritual]
Casting Time: 1 Minute
Range: Touch
Target: One object that you must touch throughout the casting of the spell
Components: V S M (A pearl worth at least 100 gp and an owl feather)
Classes: Artificer, Bard, Wizard
Description: You choose one object that you must touch throughout the casting of the spell. If it is a magic item or some other magic-imbued object, you learn its properties and how to use them, whether it requires attunement to use, and how many charges it has, if any. You learn whether any spells are affecting the item and what they are. If the item was created by a spell, you learn which spell created it. If you instead touch a creature throughout the casting, you learn what spells, if any, are currently affecting it.

Detect Magic1st Level Divination
Classes: Artificer, Bard, Cleric, Druid, Paladin, Ranger, Sorcerer, Wizard
Description: For the duration, you sense the presence of magic within 30 feet of you. If you sense magic in this way, you can use your action to see a faint aura around any visible creature or object in the area that bears magic, and you learn its school of magic, if any. The spell can penetrate most barriers, but it is blocked by 1 foot of stone, 1 inch of common metal, a thin sheet of lead, or 3 feet of wood or dirt.

Absorb Elements1st Level Abjuration
Casting Time: 1 Reaction, which you take when you take acid, cold, fire, lightning, or thunder damage
Components: S
Classes: Artificer, Druid, Ranger, Sorcerer, Wizard
Description: The spell captures some of the incoming energy, lessening its effect on you and storing it for your next melee attack. You have resistance to the triggering damage type until the start of your next turn. Also, the first time you hit with a melee attack on your next turn, the target takes an extra 1d6 damage of the triggering type, and the spell ends. At Higher Levels: When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 2nd level or higher, the extra damage increases by 1d6 for each slot level above 1st.

Charm Person1st Level Enchantment
Target: A humanoid you can see within range
Classes: Bard, Druid, Sorcerer, Warlock, Wizard
Description: You attempt to charm a humanoid you can see within range. It must make a Wisdom saving throw, and does so with advantage if you or your companions are fighting it. If it fails the saving throw, it is charmed by you until the spell ends or until you or your companions do anything harmful to it. The charmed creature regards you as a friendly acquaintance. When the spell ends, the creature knows it was charmed by you.
At Higher Levels: When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 2nd level or higher, you can target one additional creature for each slot level above 1st. The creatures must be within 30 feet of each other when you target them.

Comprehend Languages1st Level Divination [Ritual]
Components: V S M (A pinch of soot and salt)
Classes: Bard, Sorcerer, Warlock, Wizard
Description: For the duration, you understand the literal meaning of any spoken language that you hear. You also understand any written language that you see, but you must be touching the surface on which the words are written. It takes about 1 minute to read one page of text. This spell doesn’t decode secret messages in a text or a glyph, such as an arcane sigil, that isn’t part of a written language.
Shield1st Level Abjuration
Casting Time: 1 reaction, which you take when you are hit by an attack or targeted by the magic missile spell
Duration: 1 Round
Description: An invisible barrier of magical force appears and protects you. Until the start of your next turn, you have a +5 bonus to AC, including against the triggering attack, and you take no damage from magic missile.
2nd-Level
Misty Step2nd Level Conjuration
Components: V
Description: Briefly surrounded by silvery mist, you teleport up to 30 feet to an unoccupied space that you can see.

Shadow Blade2nd Level Illusion
Components: V, S
Duration: ConcentrationUp to 1 minute/em>
Description: You weave together threads of shadow to create a sword of solidified gloom in your hand. This magic sword lasts until the spell ends. It counts as a simple melee weapon with which you are proficient. It deals 2d8 psychic damage on a hit and has the finesse, light, and thrown properties (range 20/60). In addition, when you use the sword to attack a target that is in dim light or darkness, you make the attack roll with advantage.
If you drop the weapon or throw it, it dissipates at the end of the turn. Thereafter, while the spell persists, you can use a bonus action to cause the sword to reappear in your hand.
At Higher Levels When you cast this spell using a 3rd- or 4th-level spell slot, the damage increases to 3d8. When you cast it using a 5th- or 6th-level spell slot, the damage increases to 4d8. When you cast it using a spell slot of 7th level or higher, the damage increases to 5d8.

As he laments his skills the Mayor is complimentary, an unnecessary but welcome thought. Decimus thanks her for the monetary compensation, bowing deeply, his robes gathering around him as his hat almost touches the floor.

"Many thanks Mayor Raven, Solinari will smile upon you and your folk for aiding one of his White Cloaks..."

The gold is deposited in one of the many pockets beneath his robes, and he backs away to once more work on his spellbook, scribing runes and accessing the weave, the gold coins he was just granted being put to good use.

The Next Day

Yawning and rubbing the sleep from his eye, Decimus was glad that he was not the only one sleep seemed to escape. He had managed to get one more spell in his book over the course of the day after the battle yesterday, and he was getting back to normal. Luckily after the battle, he had acquired enough inspiration to get some more impressive spells in his repertoire, but there was still work to be done. Coltan seemed adept at finding their trail, enough so that the Wizard did not ask questions of the Cleric, instead, following the path until they began to slow their pace, even someone not paying attention at all could not mistake the sounds of an army ahead. As they broke through the foilage and approached a cliffside, the one eyed spellcaster felt his stomach drop. It was not a strong force that they had reckoned with back there, it was a small contingent, a scouting group. Whatever Gragonis was to this group was a drop in the bucket.

"I'm not so sure they need any more friends..."

spacer.png

OOCAction:

Bonus Action:

Movement:

Reaction:

Name
Investigation: Identities of Military
1d20+5 7

image.png.f43e797dc98446c97baef5b972307405.pngArtanis Brightblade

Human Knight of Solamnia 

AC: 19 (Chainmail, Shield +1) | HP: 22/22 () | Speed: 30 ft.
Senses: passive Perception 11, Insight 13, Investigation 9
StrSave: +3

Carrying Capacity: 255 lb.
Lift/Push/Drag: 510 lb.
:
17 (+3) | DexInitiative: +2★
★ Add Cha to Initiative (class feature)
☆ disadvantage on Dexterity (Stealth) checks from Chainmail Armor.
:
 8 (–1) | ConSave: +1: 13 (+1) | IntSave: -1
Arcana: -1
History: -1
Nature: -1
:
Animal Handling: +3
:
Deception: +3
Persuasion: +7*
:
16 (+3)

Languages: You can speak, read, and write Common and Solamnic

DR3 vs nonmagical bludgeoning, slashing, piercing

My words,  | My thoughts,’  | My actions . . .

About Last Night

Artanis too draw a serious expression at the pronouncement of the Dragon Queen's return, though he cannot suppress a simmering excitement beneath - the gods have returned, and with them surely the age of heroes as well. The dissonance between his future battles and todays melee seems to go unaddressed by his imagination. Following the Mayor's dismissal, Artanis confirms to Mery that he would be more than happy to measure her up before her ride out tomorrow morning if she would prefer that to this evening, though agrees lessons on riding and care would have to wait for their return.

Before retiring for the night he takes out the Greenshield again, polishing its pristine surface. "You protected Ispin all those years, so I hope you're proud of protecting me and Vogler today. I hope he would be too," he reflects as he cares for it. "Decimus mentioned there was Abjuration magic on you, that's the magic of protecting right?"

The Next Day

Artanis rises without difficulty despite the previous days exertions, the habit ingrained into him from his farming youth. Grabbing a bowl of oatmeal for himself, he heads out back to brush down and saddle up the horses in preparation for the days activities whilst he waits for the others to appear. As they do, he heads back inside to don his own armour, sword, and Greenshield - feeling the protective magics settle reassuringly over him as he does so.

He's happy to let Coltan and Kai take the lead on their navigation after Darren leads them westward, frowning at the sight of the footprints. Even he can recognise the significance of such. "Clearly our encounter was no coincidence, and it's as we suspected," he voices out loud what all must have been thinking. As they crest the hill to gaze upon the army, he shares his companions concern. "I'm afraid not Coltan, I see no banners of Solamnia before us..."

After a moments longer consideration he turns to Darrett authoritatively. "You should carry word back to Ser Becklin so that she warn the rest of the Order. This is an army to challenge Solamnia itself, not just a mere village. Mayor Raven may be best to organise an evacuation."

Turning again to the rest of the group he continues speculatively "An army such as this would have no need of hiring mercenaries to deal with Vogler, perhaps their true intention was to hide their advance - let any word of conquered towns be blamed on bandits of now. If so, Vogler's noble defence yesterday has thwarted their plans."

OOC

Action: 

Bonus Action: 

Movement: 

Reaction: 

Object Interaction: 

Actions & Resources

Actions:

Longsword (versatile). Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 7 (1d8 + 5) slashing damage. Versatile damage: 8 (1d10 + 3) slashing damage.

Javelin (range, thrown) [3]. Thrown Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, ranged 30/120 ft., one target. Hit: 6 (1d6 + 3) piercing damage.

Battlefield Presence.When you take the Attack action, in place of making an attack, you can use your Battlefield Presence to grant a friendly creature that can see or hear you an additional attack the next time they take the Attack action during their turn. Any additional attacks granted that are unused at the start of your next turn are lost. A friendly creature can only gain one additional attack from this feature per round from this feature.

Bonus Actions:

Rallying Mark As a bonus action, you can expend a number of Leadership Dice (up to your per turn limit) to rally your allies to attack a hostile creature within 60 feet of you.

The next time damage is rolled against that target by an allied creature before the start of your next turn, they can add the Leadership Dice to the damage roll, and the attacking creature regains hit points equal to the amount rolled on the Leadership Dice.

Urgent Orders As a bonus action, you can expend a number of Leadership Dice (up to your per turn limit) to guide your allies in expeditious action.

Target an allied creature within 60 feet of you that can see or hear you, that creature can immediately use its reaction to move up to its movement speed (up to a maximum of 30 feet) without provoking opportunity attacks. Roll the leadership dice expended, the target gains temporary hit points equal to the value rolled.

Helpful Word As a bonus action, you can spend a Leadership Die to take the Help action. When you use the Help action to aid an ally in attacking a creature, the target of that attack can be within 30 feet of you, rather than within 5 feet of you, if your ally can see or hear you.

Class Features:

Precise Strike. 2/2 (Long Rest)

Leadership Dice (d6). 3/3 (Short Rest, 1/turn)

Lead the Charge. When you roll initiative you gain temporary hit points equal to your Charisma modifier + your proficiency bonus (5 THP).

Edited by PureChance (see edit history)

Sir Not-Appearing-in-This-Game McHolyGrail IIIModri

Hill Dwarf Outlander Wild Magic Barbarian

AC: 16 (+1Dex + 3Con + 2Shield ) | HP: 30/44 (3d12+9Con Modifier 3*Level+6Tough Feat: 2*Level+3Dwarven Toughness: 1*Level) | Speed: 25'
Senses: passive Perception 11, Insight 11, Investigation 10
Str: 16 (+3) | Dex: 13 (+1) | Con: 16 (+3) | Int: 10 (+0) | Wis: 12 (+1) | Cha: 8 (-1)
Languages: You can speak, read, and write Common, Dwarvish, Elvish

Rages: 2/3 | Magic Awareness: 2/2

The Next Day

Modri is none-too-pleased at what he sees. The normally carefree, and smiling Dwarf looks decidedly grim and sober at the sight of so many fires, tent, and therefore soldiers. "Yes, well. Nothing pisses off a bad sort like thwarting them. This is not an honest fight we have on our hands ladies and lads. This is a right mess."

Anger. That's what's brewing underneath the surface. "May I suggest falling back ourselves. We make a right good team when it comes to fighting. This is no fight." He strokes his beard, deep in thought. It's the first time he's showed the others that he actually can think deeply. "Make no mistake, friends. I'm here to do what needs to be done. I can plant my feet, hurl insults, and scrap it with whoever's in front of me. I can only stretch my arms so long, can't but stand in front of a few of them at a time. I'm no army commander who knows how to lead soldiers to battle, but I know we're not an army."

OOC

-