Chapter 01d: When Home Burns (Back in Vogler)

Kamishiro_Rin

spacer.png                       Meryelle "Mery" Keryndon

Level 3 Half-Elf Sage College of Lore Bard

AC: 13 (Leather Armor) | HP: 25/25 | Speed: 30 ft.
Senses:  Darkvision 60 ft; Passive Perception 11, Passive Insight 11, Passive Investigation 14
Str: 8 (-1) | Dex: 14 (+4) | Con: 14 (+2) | Int: 14 (+2) | Wis: 11 (+0) | Cha: 16 (+5)
Languages:  Common, Elven, Solamnic, Kharolian, and Draconic
Spell-casting: +5 or DC 131st 4/4 2nd 2/2 | Bardic Inspiration: 3/3

“My words,” | ‘My thoughts,’ | My actions

To Lord Bakaris, Mery replies, "I would suggest, then, that you streamline your needs, my Lord. Take some money and only those things you can't get elsewhere or are irreplaceable. Your chances of safety are greater if you travel light." She doesn't bother trying to persuade the man.

As those interested head out to meet the army's messenge, Mery then walks up to Cudgel and speaks a few sentences in low tones. Her manner is calm, but there is a note of urgency in her voice.

Mery's words to Cudgel; DC 13 Perception to overhear

"Cudgel, I need to speak with you privately about something. It can wait until after we've heard from the army's messenger if you wish to be on hand for that, but not much longer than that. I don't believe it will take very long. I know there's a lot going on right now, and I want to assure you that I wouldn't be asking for your attention if I thought the matter could wait."

She then steps back, clearly waiting on the Dwarven commander for a response.

While she waits, she tries to recall anything from her history studies that would suggest Vogler might be of strategic importance in some way. She also tries to reason out the same from what she knows of the place.

OOC

Action: 

Bonus Action: —

Movement: —

Reaction:

Mount Movement:

Mount Action: —

Actions & Resources

Actions:

Shortbow (simple, ranged, ammunition, two-handed). Ranged Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, ranged 80/320 ft., one target.
                                                                                   Hit:  (1d6 + 2) piercing damage. 

Dagger (light, ranged or melee). Ranged Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, ranged 20/80 ft., one target.
                                                   Hit: (1d4 + 2) piercing damage.
                                                                   Melee Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target.

Hit: (1d4+2) piercing damage.

Bonus Actions:

Healing Word

A creature of your choice that you can see within range regains hit points equal to 1d4 + your spellcasting ability modifier. This spell has no effect on undead or constructs.

At Higher Levels. When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 2nd level or higher, the healing increases by 1d4 for each slot level above 1st.

Bardic Inspiration (3 per long rest, for 1d6)

As a bonus action, a creature (other than yourself) within 60 ft. that can hear you gains an inspiration die (1d6). For 10 minutes, the creature can add it to one ability check, attack roll, or saving throw. This can be added after seeing the roll, but before knowing the outcome.

Ammunition:

20 arrows in quiver, 3 arrow bundles in backpack.

Spellcasting:

Mery is a 2nd-level spellcaster. Her spellcasting ability is Charisma (spell save DC 13, +5 to hit with spell attacks). She has the following bard spells available for spontaneous casting from her first level slots: 

• Cantrips (2/2 slots): prestidigitation, vicious mockery
  • 1st level (4/4 slots): healing word, hideous laughter, cure wounds, unseen servant
  • 2nd (2/2 slots): aid, heat metal

Class Features:

• 3/3 Bardic Inspiration, recovered after a long rest
  • Song of Rest (Use on any short rest - anyone who hears her performance and chooses to regain a hit die gains an extra 1d6 of HP.)
  • Jack of All Trades (add 1/2 proficiency bonus, rounded down, to any ability check you make that doesn't already include your proficiency bonus.)
  • Bardic College = College of Lore. Gain expertise in 2 skills you already have proficiency in, and proficiency in 3 new skills. (Choosing Persuasion and Deception for Expertise, adding Nature, Stealth, and Religion for Proficiency.)

OOC

@Rin Cudgel need not make the perception check. I really only meant it for anyone who isn't Cudgel.

Edited by tbgg (see edit history)
Name
History check - Is Vogler of strategic import (past)?
1d20+4 10
Investigation Check - does anything about Vogler seem useful for an army?
1d20+4 8

Sir Not-Appearing-in-This-Game McHolyGrail IIIModri

Hill Dwarf Outlander Wild Magic Barbarian

AC: 16 (+1Dex + 3Con + 2Shield ) | HP: 44/44 (3d12+9+6+3) | Speed: 25'
Senses: passive Perception 11, Insight 11, Investigation 10
Str: 16 (+3) | Dex: 13 (+1) | Con: 16 (+3) | Int: 10 (+0) | Wis: 12 (+1) | Cha: 8 (-1)
Languages: You can speak, read, and write Common, Dwarvish, Elvish

Rages: 2/3 | Magic Awareness: 2/2

Reconnaissance

Lord Bakaris is so deeply unimpressive to Modri that all he can do is blink a few times as the exchange happens. In some ways, at least his son has a bit of fire and spit even if he uses it in all the wrong ways. It's not worth an insult. It's not worth a second thought.

And so the Dwarf doesn't dwell too much on it anymore.

"I'll be happy to come along." Modri runs his hand through his beard in thought. "I'll have the decency to let others see if they can't reason with this messenger or their masters. If... or perhaps I should say when... that doesn't work out so well, just say my name and I'll share my piece with them."

For Modri he feels it's a fair sign of restraint on his part. He knows enough that he's not one for diplomacy, but does seem to accept that very readily without much interest to learn to do better.

OOC

-

token1.png.1f361b5b69f15cd7a9ff716bb787caee.pngHunni Collic

Gully Dwarf Mage of High Sorcery Hexblade Warlock

AC: 18 (Scale Mail+2 Shield +2 Dex) | HP: 26/26 (hd 3d8) | Speed: 30 ft.
Senses: Darkvision, passive Perception 11, Insight 11, Investigation 9
Str: 8 (-1) | Dex: 14 (+2) | Con: 15 (+2) | Int: 8 (-1) | Wis: 12 (+1) | Cha: 17 (+3)
Languages: You can speak, read, and write Common, Gullytalk, Elven, and Dwarven

After Bakaris’s Interruption

Hunni rolls her eyes as the lord interrupts. Leaning over to Decimus, she comments, "Should I give him fleas? I've got a spell that can give him fleas. Want me to give him fleas?" After that, however, she seems to be all business.

"I'll go too," she offers, with a shrug. "I can ride my staff to the meeting. Even if we aren't planning on killing the messenger, it should help us send a message."

OOC

Action:

Bonus Action:

Movement:

Reaction:

Actions and Resources

Actions

Eldritch Blast (cantrip). Ranged Spell Attack: + 5 to hit, range 120 ft, one target.
Hit: (1d10 + cha) force damage.

Infestation (cantrip). Spell: Constitution Save DC 13, range 30 ft, one target.
On failed save: (1d6) poison damage, and target must move 5' in a random direction (d4; 1-North, 2-South, 3-East, 4-West). 

Improved Pact Weapon varies, usually whip (+1 to hit, damage, spell focus)

Whip (finesse, reach). Melee Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, reach 10 ft., one target.
Hit: (1d4 + 4) slashing damage.

Battleaxe (versatile). Melee Weapon Attack: reach 5 ft., one target.
Hit: (1d8 - 1) slashing damage.
Versatile: (1d10 - 1) slashing damage.

Staff of the Python (versatile). Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target.
Hit: (1d6 +3) bludgeoning damage.
Versatile: (1d8 +3) bludgeoning damage.

☆ Note:  With Hex Warrior, can set one weapon to use Charisma instead of Strength or Dexterity for to-hit and damage.  Normally Staff of the Python, but also always Pact Weapon.

Bonus Actions

Hexblade's Curse.

Starting at 1st level, you gain the ability to place a baleful curse on someone. As a bonus action, choose one creature you can see within 30 feet of you. The target is cursed for 1 minute. The curse ends early if the target dies, you die, or you are incapacitated. Until the curse ends, you gain the following benefits:

• You gain a bonus to damage rolls against the cursed target. The bonus equals your proficiency bonus.
  • Any attack roll you make against the cursed target is a critical hit on a roll of 19 or 20 on the d20.
  • If the cursed target dies, you regain hit points equal to your warlock level + your Charisma modifier (minimum of 1 hit point).

You can’t use this feature again until you finish a short or long rest.

Grovel, Cower, and Beg (Reskinned Draconic Cry).

As a bonus action, you let out a cry at your enemies within 10 feet of you. Until the start of your next turn, you and your allies have advantage on attack rolls against any of those enemies who could hear you. You can use this trait a number of times equal to your proficiency bonus, and you regain all expended uses when you finish a long rest.

Spellcasting

Spell Slots:  2 / 2, cast at 2nd level

Hunni is a spellcaster.  Her spell slots are at 1st level.  She has 2 spell slots.  Her spellcasting attribute is Charisma.  Spell Save DC 13.  Spell Attack Modifier +5.  She can use an arcane focus as a spellcasting focus.

• Cantrips:  Eldritch Blast, Infestation, Prestidigitation
  • Spells Known:  Armor of Agathys, Wrathful Smite, Hex, Dissonant Whispers, Unseen Servant, Blur
  • Invocations:  Improved Pact Weapon, Agonizing Blast

MerituuliToken.png.53f9774174cd1fbd27a1aa51cf1736c8.pngMerituuli Kaiutin

Level 3 Sea Elf Far Traveler Beast Master Ranger

AC: 18 (Scale Mail, +2 Shield) | HP: 36/36 (3d10+6+6) | Speed: 30 ft., Swim 30 ft.
Senses: passive Perception 17 (Expertise, Darkvision 60 ft.), Insight 15, Investigation 10
Str: 12 (+1) | Dex: 14 (+2) | Con: 14 (+2) | Int: 10 (+0) | Wis: 17 (+3) | Cha: 8 (-1)
Languages: Common, Elvish, Kenderspeak, Kharolian, Khur

“My words” | ‘My thoughts’  | My actions . . .

Merituuli's concerns on the situation only grow when Ser Becklin mentions rumors of more army activity to the east. Thought I had picked up on some whispers on my way here. So it's not just Vogler, then. Just how large is this force?

His thoughts are interrupted by the elder Bakaris's sudden and rather rude entry. During the whole exchange, Merituuli grows more and more incredulous at the sheer ineptitude of this noble family. They should be protecting the people, but they only give a damn about themselves. Absolutely shameful.  He simply stares at the foppish noble, shaking his head slowly.

Merituuli's sharp ears manage to pick up on Mery's whispered conversation with Cudgel, but he reasons that it'd be best to ask about that a bit later. Whatever it was, it seemed important.

The report on a messenger from the army earns another incredulous look from the sea elf. "That's... unexpected. It could very well be a trap, maybe a ploy to draw out the leaders of the village all at once. I'll come along, absolutely. Just be ready for them to try to stab us in the back."

OOC

Action: —

Bonus Action: —

Movement: —

Reaction: —

Actions & Resources

Actions:

Baculite Shell (Shillelagh). Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target.
Hit: 1d8+3 bludgeoning damage.

Thorn Whip. Melee Spell Attack: +5 to hit, range 30 ft., one target.
Hit: 1d6 piercing damage.

Heavy Crossbow (heavy, loading, two-handed). Ranged Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, range 100/400 ft., one target.
Hit: 1d10+2 piercing damage.

Dagger (finesse, light, thrown). Melee or Ranged Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, reach 5 ft. or range 20/60 ft., one target.
Hit: 1d4+2 piercing damage.

Baculite Shell (Quarterstaff) (versatile). Melee Weapon Attack: +3 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target.
Hit: 1d6+1 bludgeoning damage.
Versatile damage: 1d8+1 bludgeoning damage.

Net (thrown, special). Ranged Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, range 5/15 ft., one target.
Hit: A Large or smaller creature hit by a net is restrained until it is freed. A net has no effect on creatures that are formless, or creatures that are Huge or larger. A creature can use its action to make a DC 10 Strength check, freeing itself or another creature within its reach on a success. Dealing 5 slashing damage to the net (AC 10) also frees the creature without harming it, ending the effect and destroying the net.

Bonus Actions:

Primal Companion: Take Action. As a bonus action on your turn you command your Primal Companion to take another action. That action can be one in its stat block or some other action. You can also sacrifice one of your attacks when you take the Attack action to command the beast to take the Attack action. If you are incapacitated, the beast can take any action of its choice, not just Dodge.

Other:

Favored Foe. When you hit a creature with an attack roll, you can call on your mystical bond with nature to mark the target as your favored enemy for 1 minute or until you lose your concentration (as if you were concentrating on a spell).

The first time on each of your turns that you hit the favored enemy and deal damage to it, including when you mark it, you can increase that damage by 1d4.

You can use this feature to mark a favored enemy a number of times equal to your proficiency bonus, and you regain all expended uses when you finish a long rest.

This feature’s extra damage increases when you reach certain levels in this class: to 1d6 at 6th level and to 1d8 at 14th level.

Friend of the Sea. You can communicate simple ideas to any Beast with a swimming speed. It can understand your words but you cannot understand it in return.

Ammunition:

20/20 Crossbow Bolts

Class Features:

• 2/2 Favored Foe Marks
  • 3/3 1st Level Spells

token_1.png.ba18d35c074c2d2a05b1e13a8e573631.pngDecimus - Initiate of High Sorcery | Bladesinger Wizard | Human

AC: 13  | HP: 21/21 | Speed: 30 ft | Spell-casting: +5 / DC 13
Senses: Passive Perception 12, Insight 12, Investigation 15
STR: Score: -1
Athletics: -1
| DEXScore: +3
Acrobatics: +3
Stealth: +3
Sleight of Hand: +3
:
 16 | CONScore: 214 | INTScore: +3
Arcana: +5
History: +5
Investigation: +5
Nature: +3
Religion: +5
:
 16 | WISScore: 0

Animal Handling: 0
Insight: +2
Medicine: 0
Perception: +2
Survival: 0
:
 10 | CHAScore: -1

Deception: -1
Intimidation: -1
Performance: -1
Persuasion: -1
:
Languages: Common, Abyssal, Celestial, Primordial

FeatsWar CasterPrerequisite: The ability to cast at least one spell
You have practiced casting Spells in the midst of Combat, learning Techniques that grant you the following benefits:
You have advantage on Constitution Saving Throws that you make to maintain your Concentration on a spell when you take damage.
You can perform the somatic Components of Spells even when you have Weapons or a Shield in one or both hands.
When a Hostile creature’s Movement provokes an opportunity Attack from you, you can use your Reaction to Cast a Spell at the creature, rather than making an opportunity Attack. The spell must have a Casting Time of 1 Action and must target only that creature.

| FeaturesRitual CastingYou can cast a wizard spell as a ritual if that spell has the ritual tag and you have the spell in your spellbook. You don’t need to have the spell prepared.
Arcane RecoverYou have learned to regain some of your magical energy by studying your spellbook. Once per day when you finish a short rest, you can choose expended spell slots to recover. The spell slots can have a combined level that is equal to or less than half your wizard level (rounded up), and none of the slots can be 6th level or higher. For example, if you’re a 4th-level wizard, you can recover up to two levels worth of spell slots. You can recover either a 2nd-level spell slot or two 1st-level spell slots.
BladesongYou can invoke an elven magic called the Bladesong, provided that you aren't wearing medium or heavy armor or using a shield. It graces you with supernatural speed, agility, and focus. You can use a bonus action to start the Bladesong, which lasts for 1 minute. It ends early if you are incapacitated, if you don medium or heavy armor or a shield, or if you use two hands to make an attack with a weapon. You can also dismiss the Bladesong at any time (no action required). While your Bladesong is active, you gain the following benefits: You gain a bonus to your AC equal to your Intelligence modifier (minimum of +1). Your walking speed increases by 10 feet. You have advantage on Dexterity (Acrobatics) checks. You gain a bonus to any Constitution saving throw you make to maintain your concentration on a spell. The bonus equals your Intelligence modifier (minimum of +1). You can use this feature a number of times equal to your proficiency bonus, and you regain all expended uses of it when you finish a long rest.

| ActionsRapierATTACK: DEX [3]+ Proficiency [2]
RANGE: 5ft
MAGIC BONUS: 0
CRIT RANGE: 20
DAMAGE: 1d8 + DEX [3]
TYPE: Piercing
DESCRIPTION: melee weapon (martial, sword)

Bladesinging Rapier StrikeATTACK: DEX [3]+ Proficiency [2]
RANGE: 5ft
MAGIC BONUS: 0
CRIT RANGE: 20
DAMAGE: 1d8 + DEX [3]
TYPE: Piercing
DESCRIPTION: melee weapon (martial, sword) 

| SpellsCantrips
Blade WardBlade Ward
Abjuration cantrip
Casting Time:1 action
Range: Self
Target: Self
Components: V S
Duration: 1 round
Description:You extend your hand and trace a sigil of warding in the air. Until the end of your next turn, you have resistance against bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing damage dealt by weapon attacks.

Booming BladeBooming Blade
Evocation cantrip
Casting Time:1 action
Range: Self (5ft radius)
Target: One creature within the spell’s range
Components: V, M (a melee weapon worth at least 1 sp)
Duration: 1 round
Description:You brandish the weapon used in the spell's casting and make a melee attack with it against one creature within 5 feet of you. On a hit, the target suffers the weapon attack’s normal effects and then becomes sheathed in booming energy until the start of your next turn. If the target willingly moves 5 feet or more before then, it immediately takes 1d8 thunder damage, and the spell ends. This spell’s damage increases when you reach certain levels. At 5th level, the melee attack deals an extra 1d8 thunder damage to the target on a hit, and the damage the target takes for moving increases to 2d8. Both damage rolls increase by 1d8 at 11th level (2d8 and 3d8) and again at 17th level (3d8 and 4d8).

Green Flame Blade1st Level Evocation
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: Self (5-foot radius)
Target: One creature within the spell’s range
Components: V, M (a melee weapon worth at least 1 sp)
Duration: Instantaneous
Classes: Sorcerer, Warlock, Wizard
Description: You brandish the weapon used in the spell's casting and make a melee attack with it against one creature within 5 feet of you. On a hit, the target suffers the weapon attack’s normal effects, and you can cause green fire to leap from the target to a different creature of your choice that you can see within 5 feet of it. The second creature takes fire damage equal to your spellcasting ability modifier. This spell’s damage increases when you reach certain levels. At 5th level, the melee attack deals an extra 1d8 fire damage to the target on a hit, and the fire damage to the second creature increases to 1d8 + your spellcasting ability modifier. Both damage rolls increase by 1d8 at 11th level (2d8 and 2d8) and 17th level (3d8 and 3d8).

1st-Level <4/4>
Expeditious Retreat1st Level Transmutation
Casting Time: 1 bonus action
Duration: Concentration, up to 10 minutes
Classes: Artificer, Sorcerer, Warlock, Wizard
Description: This spell allows you to move at an incredible pace. When you cast this spell, and then as a bonus action on each of your turns until the spell ends, you can take the Dash action.

Magic Missile1st Level Evocation
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: 120ft
Target: A creature of your choice that you can see within range
Classes: Sorcerer, Wizard
Description: You create three glowing darts of magical force. Each dart hits a creature of your choice that you can see within range. A dart deals 1d4 + 1 force damage to its target. The darts all strike simultaneously, and you can direct them to hit one creature or several. At Higher Levels: When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 2nd level or higher, the spell creates one more dart for each slot level above 1st.

Tensors Floating Disk1st Level Conjuration
Casting Time: 1 Action
Range: 30 Feet
Target: An unoccupied space of your choice that you can see within range
Components: V S M (A drop of mercury)
Duration: 1 Hour
Classes: Wizard
Description: This spell creates a circular, horizontal plane of force, 3 feet in diameter and 1 inch thick, that floats 3 feet above the ground in an unoccupied space of your choice that you can see within range. The disk remains for the duration, and can hold up to 500 pounds. If more weight is placed on it, the spell ends, and everything on the disk falls to the ground. The disk is immobile while you are within 20 feet of it. If you move more than 20 feet away from it, the disk follows you so that it remains within 20 feet of you. It can move across uneven terrain, up or down stairs, slopes and the like, but it can’t cross an elevation change of 10 feet or more. For example, the disk can’t move across a 10-foot-deep pit, nor could it leave such a pit if it was created at the bottom. If you move more than 100 feet from the disk (typically because it can’t move around an obstacle to follow you), the spell ends.

Tash's Hideous Laughter1st Level Enchantment
Target: A creature of your choice that you can see within range
Components: V S M (Tiny tarts and a feather that is waved in the air)
Duration: Concentration, up to 1 minute
Classes: Bard, Wizard
Description: A creature of your choice that you can see within range perceives everything as hilariously funny and falls into fits of laughter if this spell affects it. The target must succeed on a Wisdom saving throw or fall prone, becoming incapacitated and unable to stand up for the duration. A creature with an Intelligence score of 4 or less isn’t affected. At the end of each of its turns, and each time it takes damage, the target can make another Wisdom saving throw. The target has advantage on the saving throw if it’s triggered by damage. On a success, the spell ends.

Identify1st Level Divination [Ritual]
Casting Time: 1 Minute
Range: Touch
Target: One object that you must touch throughout the casting of the spell
Components: V S M (A pearl worth at least 100 gp and an owl feather)
Classes: Artificer, Bard, Wizard
Description: You choose one object that you must touch throughout the casting of the spell. If it is a magic item or some other magic-imbued object, you learn its properties and how to use them, whether it requires attunement to use, and how many charges it has, if any. You learn whether any spells are affecting the item and what they are. If the item was created by a spell, you learn which spell created it. If you instead touch a creature throughout the casting, you learn what spells, if any, are currently affecting it.

Detect Magic1st Level Divination
Duration: Concentration, up to 10 minutes
Classes: Artificer, Bard, Cleric, Druid, Paladin, Ranger, Sorcerer, Wizard
Description: For the duration, you sense the presence of magic within 30 feet of you. If you sense magic in this way, you can use your action to see a faint aura around any visible creature or object in the area that bears magic, and you learn its school of magic, if any. The spell can penetrate most barriers, but it is blocked by 1 foot of stone, 1 inch of common metal, a thin sheet of lead, or 3 feet of wood or dirt.

Absorb Elements1st Level Abjuration
Casting Time: 1 Reaction, which you take when you take acid, cold, fire, lightning, or thunder damage
Components: S
Classes: Artificer, Druid, Ranger, Sorcerer, Wizard
Description: The spell captures some of the incoming energy, lessening its effect on you and storing it for your next melee attack. You have resistance to the triggering damage type until the start of your next turn. Also, the first time you hit with a melee attack on your next turn, the target takes an extra 1d6 damage of the triggering type, and the spell ends. At Higher Levels: When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 2nd level or higher, the extra damage increases by 1d6 for each slot level above 1st.

Charm Person1st Level Enchantment
Target: A humanoid you can see within range
Classes: Bard, Druid, Sorcerer, Warlock, Wizard
Description: You attempt to charm a humanoid you can see within range. It must make a Wisdom saving throw, and does so with advantage if you or your companions are fighting it. If it fails the saving throw, it is charmed by you until the spell ends or until you or your companions do anything harmful to it. The charmed creature regards you as a friendly acquaintance. When the spell ends, the creature knows it was charmed by you.
At Higher Levels: When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 2nd level or higher, you can target one additional creature for each slot level above 1st. The creatures must be within 30 feet of each other when you target them.

Comprehend Languages1st Level Divination [Ritual]
Components: V S M (A pinch of soot and salt)
Classes: Bard, Sorcerer, Warlock, Wizard
Description: For the duration, you understand the literal meaning of any spoken language that you hear. You also understand any written language that you see, but you must be touching the surface on which the words are written. It takes about 1 minute to read one page of text. This spell doesn’t decode secret messages in a text or a glyph, such as an arcane sigil, that isn’t part of a written language.
[Initiate of High Sorcery Feat]
Shield1st Level Abjuration
Casting Time: 1 reaction, which you take when you are hit by an attack or targeted by the magic missile spell
Duration: 1 Round
Description: An invisible barrier of magical force appears and protects you. Until the start of your next turn, you have a +5 bonus to AC, including against the triggering attack, and you take no damage from magic missile.
[Initiate of High Sorcery Feat]
2nd-Level <2/2>
Misty Step2nd Level Conjuration
Casting Time: 1 Bonus Action
Components: V
Description: Briefly surrounded by silvery mist, you teleport up to 30 feet to an unoccupied space that you can see.

Shadow Blade2nd Level Illusion
Casting Time: 1 Bonus Action
Components: V, S
Duration: ConcentrationUp to 1 minute/em>
Description: You weave together threads of shadow to create a sword of solidified gloom in your hand. This magic sword lasts until the spell ends. It counts as a simple melee weapon with which you are proficient. It deals 2d8 psychic damage on a hit and has the finesse, light, and thrown properties (range 20/60). In addition, when you use the sword to attack a target that is in dim light or darkness, you make the attack roll with advantage.
If you drop the weapon or throw it, it dissipates at the end of the turn. Thereafter, while the spell persists, you can use a bonus action to cause the sword to reappear in your hand.
At Higher Levels When you cast this spell using a 3rd- or 4th-level spell slot, the damage increases to 3d8. When you cast it using a 5th- or 6th-level spell slot, the damage increases to 4d8. When you cast it using a spell slot of 7th level or higher, the damage increases to 5d8.

The Lord presents himself as well as could be expected given the actions of his son, so the Wizard is not surprised at all at his uncouth personality, and when Hunni stands on her tiptoes to whisper to him, he bends down to get her closer to his ear. He brings his a robe covered hand to his mouth to disguise his chuckle as a cough so as to not disrupt the parlance before them. He whispers back.

"Maybe when there are fewer witnesses..."

When it is suggested they visit the messenger at the gate, Decimus feels that know return to his stomach. From what he has seen so far, this meeting is likely nothing more than a ruse. For once, this does not feel like an augury or omen, but it eases his anxiety little.

spacer.png

OOCAction:

Bonus Action:

Movement:

Reaction:

image.png.f43e797dc98446c97baef5b972307405.pngArtanis Brightblade

Human Knight of Solamnia 

AC: 19 (Chainmail, Shield +1) | HP: 22/22 () | Speed: 30 ft.
Senses: passive Perception 11, Insight 13, Investigation 9
Str: 17 (+3) | Dex: 8 (–1) | Con: 13 (+1) | Int: 8 (-1) | Wis: 12 (+1) | Cha: 16 (+3)
Languages: You can speak, read, and write Common and Solamnic

DR3 vs nonmagical bludgeoning, slashing, piercing

My words,  | My thoughts,’  | My actions . . .

Artanis nods solemnly at Decius' words regarding his vows. He too, felt the weight of the Oath upon his shoulders. One needed no Measure to know what was right here. Otherwise he listens as his fellows persuade the Mayor of the urgency of the situation. When Lord Barakis arrives he takes note of both the man and Ser Becklin's response carefully. Without Becklin's disapproval, he may have presumed the man simply boisterous rather than buffoonish. Either way, he was disappointingly unlike he'd imagined a noble Lord should act (though apparently without the malice of his son). It was clear that no particular support would be offered on that front, and the task of leading any force would continue to fall to Ser Becklin, Cudgel, and apparently their party. Jeyev, the lieutenant that Cudgel had brought back, seemed far more capable. The man as clearly a trained soldier, and Paladine knew the town could use all the help on that front.

Still, as was proper Artanis introduced himself simply to the Lord with a short bow, "Ser Artanis Brightblade, my Lord. A pleasure to make your acquaintance. We only did what was right."

The talk of parlay takes him by surprise, at least until Kai's comment about a trap. Perhaps he was too naive - on consideration it certainly seems much more likely. Especially given both the stories of Takhisis and their prior deeds in hiring Gragonis. In which case, he had no choice but to attend as a guard, even if camaraderie did not already compel it. "You'll have my sword too at this meeting, though hopefully it won't be needed. As my comrades have suggested, I believe there will be no true parlay with these forces of darkness - not without complete submission. I'm also surprised by their timing. I wonder if it was the same patrol we saw earlier?" he suggests

Turning to the rest of the room he asks "Perhaps, Lord Bakaris, you have a chief of staff who is skilled in logistical manners, and able to help co-ordinate the town's evacuation? It is important that we don't cause a panic."

OOC

Action: 

Bonus Action: 

Movement: 

Reaction: 

Object Interaction: 

Actions & Resources

Actions:

Longsword (versatile). Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 7 (1d8 + 5) slashing damage. Versatile damage: 8 (1d10 + 3) slashing damage.

Javelin (range, thrown) [3]. Thrown Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, ranged 30/120 ft., one target. Hit: 6 (1d6 + 3) piercing damage.

Battlefield Presence.

Bonus Actions:

Rallying Mark

Urgent Orders  

Helpful Word

Class Features:

Precise Strike. 2/2 (Long Rest)

Leadership Dice (d6). 3/3 (Short Rest, 1/turn)

Lead the Charge. When you roll initiative you gain temporary hit points equal to your Charisma modifier + your proficiency bonus (5 THP).

Edited by Kamishiro_Rin (see edit history)

Date

On This Magetag, the 23rd Day of Brookgreen,
in the 351st Year After the Cataclysm
(Tuesday, March 23, 351 AC)

The 3rd Day of the Campaign - Late Morning

spacer.png Ser Becklin Uth Viharin Darrett Highwater, Ser Becklin’s Squire Ridomir “Cudgel” Ironsmile Mayor Raven Uth Vogler
Yalme Ser Becklin Uth Viharin Darrett Highwater,
Ser Becklin’s Squire
Ridomir “Cudgel” Ironsmile Mayor Raven Uth Vogler
Jeyev Veldrews Lord Bakaris Uth Estide Bakaris “the Younger” Dragon Army Soldier Messenger Dragon Army Solider
Jeyev Veldrews,
Cudgel’s Lieutenant
Lord Bakaris Uth Estide Bakaris “the Younger”,
Lord Bakaris’s Son

Dragon Army (Red)

Soldier (Messenger)

Dragon Army (Red)

Soldier

Room 101—Command & Control Center

Mery, you remember that Vogler is located along the northern shoreline of the Vingaard River just west of Kalaman and Kalaman Bay. Although the village itself isn’t strategically very important, logistically, it makes a good place for an army to move goods along the river and into the Hinterlund—as well as a good place to move an army onto a river to get nearer to the city of Kalaman, if not attack it from the water, outright. Thousands of soldiers on hundreds of boats can move very quickly on a river rather than marching.

To Lord Bakaris, Mery replies, “I would suggest, then, that you streamline your needs, my Lord. Take some money and only those things you can’t get elsewhere or are irreplaceable. Your chances of safety are greater if you travel light.” She doesn’t bother trying to persuade the man.

Lord Bakaris bristled at that, but held his tongue on account of everyone else’s glowering. “Yes, well, maybe I could do that, if the situation is so dire . . .”

Still, as was proper Artanis introduced himself simply to the Lord with a short bow, “Ser Artanis Brightblade, my Lord. A pleasure to make your acquaintance. We only did what was right.”

“B-Bright-b-blade?” Lord Bakaris said, suddenly standing far straighter and holding his foppish cap between his hands. “Ser Artanis of the Brightblade family, you say? Well, this certainly is an honor! Not only was my town-”

MY Town,” Mayor Raven Vogler corrected.

“-Our town, saved from evil mercenaries, but it was saved by none other than a scion of the illustrious Brightblade family, no less!”

“I’ll be happy to come along.” Modri runs his hand through his beard in thought. “I’ll have the decency to let others see if they can’t reason with this messenger or their masters. If... or perhaps I should say when... that doesn’t work out so well, just say my name and I’ll share my piece with them.”

“I’ll go too,” Hunni offers, with a shrug. “I can ride my staff to the meeting. Even if we aren’t planning on killing the messenger, it should help us send a message.”

For the first time, Lord Bakaris takes notice of Hunni. “Um, excuse me . . . is that a . . . little girl . . . with you? Is she one of your daughters? What does she mean she will ‘ride her staff’ to the meeting? Don’t you think someone should babysit her whilst the adults in the room converse? Lest I burden innocent ears with the woes of the world, I shan’t give voice to how . . . vulgar . . . that sounds.”

The report on a messenger from the army earns another incredulous look from the sea elf. “That’s... unexpected. It could very well be a trap, maybe a ploy to draw out the leaders of the village all at once. I’ll come along, absolutely. Just be ready for them to try to stab us in the back.”

“You’ll have my sword too at this meeting, though hopefully it won’t be needed. As my comrades have suggested, I believe there will be no true parlay with these forces of darkness - not without complete submission. I’m also surprised by their timing. I wonder if it was the same patrol we saw earlier?” Artanis suggests.

“I thank you all,” the Mayor said. “A good show of force might be just what we need to keep this meeting on even ground, but I suspect that, given your report, there’s no show of force this town could muster to give them pause. Don’t be surprised if we’re laughed at.”

When you leave the room, you do notice that the guard you told to evacuate has disappeared. The two thugs fall in line protectively behind their lord.

The mayor leads you all out of the Brass Crab and towards the River Gate. When you reach the small, pentagonal village square, Cudgel walks in step with Mery and has her slow down. Mery clearly sees Jeyev eye his captain, but he faces forward and continues walking with the rest of the party.

Lord Bakaris and his thugs decide to continue straight, instead of north, and he heads back to his home, presumably to prepare for the coming evacuation.

At the River Gate

Dragon Army Soldier Messenger   When you reach the River gate, you see beneath the carvings of leaping fish etched into Vogler’s open wooden gate, a human in black-and-red full plate siting astride an armored warhorse. She has long, blonde hair tied with a red ribbon in a ponytail. Her angry, scowling, serious eyes are a piercing green. She wears a red mantle on her black armor. A dragon-head brooch decorates her mantle.

She holds out a rolled parchment and calls out, “Who among you speaks for this village?”

Raven steps forward the messenger reads letter aloud:

“People of Vogler,”

“By the orders of Belephaion, the Voice of Takhisis, you will quarter the soldiers of the invincible Red Dragon Army this night. Refuse and die.”

“This is the Dragon Queen’s will.”

The messenger rolls up the parchment and hands the scroll over to Mayor Raven. The Mayor looks at the messenger determinedly, almost defiantly, and snatches the rolled up missive.

Dragon Army Soldier   “I have served you your orders,” The messenger says. “Belephaion, the Voice of Takhisis, demands the village prepare to be occupied by Dragon Army troops this very evening. In the meantime, nobody can leave the village.” She then places two fingers in her mouth and whistles loudly. Atop the 30-foot-tall cliffs to the east of the gate, four Dragon Army soldiers appear. In their hands, they hold up javelins. “We will kill anyone trying to leave!” she reiterates.

Mayor Raven seeks to avoid bloodshed and encourages the characters to withdraw.

She rests a hand on the pommel of her sword, easily, confidently, and with a certain grace and comfort that speaks volumes to Artanis. This woman might fell Ser Becklin without much thought in a one-on-one.

Speaking of Ser Becklin; she stands stoically, looking down her nose at the messenger, assessing her. Her own hand rests on her sword, as well.

With that, she makes to ride away, up the path back up towards those cliffs to join her fellow Dragon Army Soldiers.

OOC

Symbol of Takhisis   Feel free to continue the discussion or have your characters do things ‘Before the River Gate’ and ‘At the River Gate’, if you please.

Anyone proficient in Religion recognizes the name Takhisisas one of the gods of Krynn, if your character didn’t know it already, somehow.

Anyone who who succeeds on a DC 12 Intelligence (Religion) checkas a symbol of Takhisis, the greatest of the evil gods, who is also known as the Dragon Queen recognizes the spiral symbol (right) on the messenger’s armor. This same symbol appears on all other Dragon Army Soldiers’ armor, too.

Anyone who who succeeds on a DC 17 Intelligence (History) checkas the insignia of a Dragon Army Officer.recognizes the Dragon Broach on the messenger’s cloak. If you roll 20 or above, use the same result to see below. Ser Artanis has advantage on this check.

Anyone who who succeeds on a DC 20 Intelligence (History) checkas the insignia of a Dragon Army Lieutenant, the lowest of the O-ranks (Lieutenant < Captain < Major < Colonel < General). recognizes the Dragon Broach on the messenger’s cloak. (succeeding on this check automatically means succeeding on the check above)

spacer.png

Senses:  Darkvision 60 ft; Passive Perception 11, Passive Insight 11, Passive Investigation 14
Str: 8 (-1) | Dex: 14 (+4) | Con: 14 (+2) | Int: 14 (+2) | Wis: 11 (+0) | Cha: 16 (+5)

Before the Rivergate

Mery speaks in impassioned words to Cudgel.

At the Rivergate

After the Dragon Army soldiers have left, Mery asks Mayor Raven, "Mayor, it occurred to me around the time that messenger arrived at the Brass Crab that there are two reasons an army might want to make use of Vogler: to move supplies further into the Hinterlund, or else to move men. And if they wanted to attack Kalaman, the river would let them move a lot of men very quickly. Who knows the area between here and Kalaman pretty well? I'm wondering if there's a place where we could create a giant rockslide and dam up the river, thereby robbing this army of the ability to make use of it. Alternately, can you think of a different way it might be possible to dam up the river, or do you know someone else who might have ideas how we could do that?"

It occurrs to her that the Mayor might be more concerned about the safety of her people, so she continues, "But if the army can use the river to send people to Kalaman very quickly, so can we. If we send the people of Vogler ahead of the crew doing the damming, the villagers can get the advantage of the river but the dammers can deny it to this army. Depending on how things go, the dammers might have to make their own way to Kalaman."

OOC

Action: 

Reaction:

Mount Movement:

Actions & Resources

Actions:

Shortbow (simple, ranged, ammunition, two-handed). Ranged Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, ranged 80/320 ft., one target.

Dagger (light, ranged or melee). Ranged Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, ranged 20/80 ft., one target.

Bonus Actions:

Healing Word

A creature of your choice that you can see within range regains hit points equal to 1d4 + your spellcasting ability modifier. This spell has no effect on undead or constructs.

At Higher Levels. When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 2nd level or higher, the healing increases by 1d4 for each slot level above 1st.

As a bonus action, a creature (other than yourself) within 60 ft. that can hear you gains an inspiration die (1d6). For 10 minutes, the creature can add it to one ability check, attack roll, or saving throw. This can be added after seeing the roll, but before knowing the outcome.

Ammunition:

Spellcasting:

Mery is a 2nd-level spellcaster. Her spellcasting ability is Charisma (spell save DC 13, +5 to hit with spell attacks). She has the following bard spells available for spontaneous casting from her first level slots: 

• 1st level (4/4 slots): healing word, hideous laughter, cure wounds, unseen servant

Class Features:

• Song of Rest (Use on any short rest - anyone who hears her performance and chooses to regain a hit die gains an extra 1d6 of HP.)
  • Jack of All Trades (add 1/2 proficiency bonus, rounded down, to any ability check you make that doesn't already include your proficiency bonus.)
  • Bardic College = College of Lore. Gain expertise in 2 skills you already have proficiency in, and proficiency in 3 new skills. (Choosing Persuasion and Deception for Expertise, adding Nature, Stealth, and Religion for Proficiency.)

OOC

OOC comments, if I have them, go here.

Name
Religion check - DC 12
1d20+4 6
History check - DC 17+
1d20+4 9
Persuasion check - Persuade Cudgel
1d20+7 2

Sir Not-Appearing-in-This-Game McHolyGrail IIIModri

Hill Dwarf Outlander Wild Magic Barbarian

AC: 16 (+1Dex + 3Con + 2Shield ) | HP: 44/44 (3d12+9+6+3) | Speed: 25'
Senses: passive Perception 11, Insight 11, Investigation 10
Str: 16 (+3) | Dex: 13 (+1) | Con: 16 (+3) | Int: 10 (+0) | Wis: 12 (+1) | Cha: 8 (-1)
Languages: You can speak, read, and write Common, Dwarvish, Elvish

Rages: 2/3 | Magic Awareness: 2/2

At the Rivergate

"Well, that was a load of threats and demands." Modri shakes his head. "Only thing I trust her on is that they will try to kill anyone that leaves. Probably kill a fair share if they stay too, and don't want to think about the rest."

"I'm onboard any plan that intends to stick it to them, and anything that'll help the fine folk in Vogler escape." For the first time in a bit, the Dwarf's smile returns. "Will be really fun to see them the lot of them eat their own words in the end, won't it?"

To Modri, there is no 'if', only a 'how' in regards to defying this invincible army.

OOC

-

spacer.pngColtan Bluetemper

Level 3 Neidar Folk Hero Forge Cleric

AC: 18 (Chain Mail +2 Shield) | HP: 31/31 (3d8+9+3) | Speed: 25 ft.
Senses: Darkvision 60 ft., Passive Perception 15, Insight 13, Investigation 12
Str: 14 (+2) | Dex: 8 (–1) | Con: 16 (+3) | Int: 10 (+0) | Wis: 16 (+3) | Cha: 10 (+0)
Languages: Speak, read, and write Common and Dwarvish

Coltan walks along with the troop to parlay.

Before the dragonarmy messenger can leave, the dwarf steps forward igniting the head of his holy hammer in blue flames. "Messenger, I have a reply back to Belephaion, the Voice of Takhisis. Tell your commander that Coltan, the Apprentice of Reorx, stands with the villagers of Vogler. Reorx has returned to oppose the Queen of Darkness and protect His creation."

After the departure of the Messenger of the Dragonarmy

The smith listens to Mery and Modri. After a pause, he offers to everyone, "we'll have to evacuate the village by boat. But, I really want to knock those four soldiers off that cliff. Anyone know a sneaky way up there?" He looks around for consensus, because the dwarf does not know how to evacuate a village, climb a cliff, or fight an army. But, he wants to do something.

OOC

Action: How defensible is Thornwall Keep?

Bonus Action:

Movement:

Reaction:

Use Object:

Actions and Resources

Actions

+1 Holy Warhammer (versatile). Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target.
Hit: 1d8 + 3 magic, fire damage.
Versatile damage: 1d10 + 3 magic, fire damage.

Warhammer (versatile). Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target.
Hit: 1d8 + 2 bludgeoning damage.
Versatile damage: 1d10 + 2 bludgeoning damage.

Handaxe (light, thrown). Melee & Ranged Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, ranged 20/60 ft., one target.
Hit: 1d6 + 2 slashing damage.

Dagger (light, thrown). Melee & Ranged Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, ranged 20/60 ft., one target.
Hit: 1d4 + 2 piercing damage.

Spell-casting: +5 or DC 13 | 1st 4/4 | 2nd 2/2

Cantrips

1. Sacred Flame (V, S). Spell Attack: Dex DC 13, ranged 60 ft., one target.  Fail: 1d8 radiant damage.
  2. Word of Radiance (V, M). Spell Attack: Con DC 13, ranged 5 ft., each creature of your choice. Fail: 1d6 radiant damage.
  3. Light (V,M).  You touch one object that is no larger than 10 feet in any dimension. Until the spell ends, the object sheds bright light in a 20-foot radius and dim light for an additional 20 feet. The light can be colored as you like. Completely covering the object with something opaque blocks the light. The spell ends if you cast it again or dismiss it as an action.  If you target an object held or worn by a hostile creature, that creature must succeed on a Dexterity saving throw to avoid the spell.

1st level spells prepared

• Identify (V,S,M) Ritual. You choose one object that you must touch throughout the casting of the spell. If it is a magic item or some other magic-imbued object, you learn its properties and how to use them, whether it requires attunement to use, and how many charges it has, if any. You learn whether any spells are affecting the item and what they are. If the item was created by a spell, you learn which spell created it. If you instead touch a creature throughout the casting, you learn what spells, if any, are currently affecting it.
  • Searing Smite (V). The next time you hit a creature with a melee weapon attack during the spell's duration, your weapon flares with white-hot intensity, and the attack deals an extra 1d6 fire damage to the target and causes the target to ignite in flames. At the start of each of its turns until the spell ends, the target must make a Constitution saving throw. On a failed save, it takes 1d6 fire damage. On a successful save, the spell ends. If the target or a creature within 5 feet of it uses an action to put out the flames, or if some other effect douses the flames (such as the target being submerged in water), the spell ends.
  1. Bless (V,S,M).  You bless up to three creatures of your choice within 30 ft. Whenever a target makes an attack roll or a saving throw before the spell ends, the target can roll a d4 and add the number rolled to the attack roll or saving throw.  Concentration up to 1 minute.
  2. Cure Wounds (V,S).  A creature you touch regains a number of hit points equal to 1d8 + your spellcasting ability modifier. This spell has no effect on undead or constructs.
  3. Detect Magic (V,S) Ritual. For the duration, you sense the presence of magic within 30 feet of you. If you sense magic in this way, you can use your action to see a faint aura around any visible creature or object in the area that bears magic, and you learn its school of magic, if any.  The spell can penetrate most barriers, but it is blocked by 1 foot of stone, 1 inch of common metal, a thin sheet of lead, or 3 feet of wood or dirt.  Concentration up to 10 minutes.
  4. Healing Word (V) Bonus.  A creature of your choice that you can see within range regains hit points equal to 1d4 + your spellcasting ability modifier. This spell has no effect on undead or constructs.
  5. Guiding Bolt (V,S).  Make a ranged spell attack against the target within 120 feet. On a hit, the target takes 4d6 radiant damage, and the next attack roll made against this target before the end of your next turn has advantage

2nd-Level Spells Prepared

• Heat Metal (V,S,M) Concentration. Choose a manufactured metal object, such as a metal weapon or a suit of heavy or medium metal armor, that you can see within range. You cause the object to glow red-hot. Any creature in physical contact with the object takes 2d8 fire damage when you cast the spell. Until the spell ends, you can use a bonus action on each of your subsequent turns to cause this damage again. If a creature is holding or wearing the object and takes the damage from it, the creature must succeed on a Constitution saving throw or drop the object if it can. If it doesn't drop the object, it has disadvantage on attack rolls and ability checks until the start of your next turn.
  • Magic Weapon (V,S) Concentration. You touch a nonmagical weapon. Until the spell ends, that weapon becomes a magic weapon with a +1 bonus to attack rolls and damage rolls.
  • 6. Spiritual Weapon (V,S) Bonus. When you cast the spell, you can make a melee spell attack against a creature within 5 feet of the weapon. On a hit, the target takes force damage equal to 1d8 + your spellcasting ability modifier. As a bonus action on your turn, you can move the weapon up to 20 feet and repeat the attack against a creature within 5 feet of it.

Channel Divinity: 1/1 short rest

Turn Undead.  Expend a use of your Channel Divinity as an action to make each undead that can see or hear you within 30 feet of you to make a Wisdom DC 13. If the creature fails its saving throw, it is turned for 1 minute or until it takes any damage.

Harness Divine Power.  As a bonus action, expend a use of your Channel Divinity to regain one expended spell slot, the level of which can be no higher than half your proficiency bonus (rounded up).

Artisan's Blessing. You conduct an hour-long ritual that crafts a nonmagical item that must include some metal: a simple or martial weapon, a suit of armor, ten pieces of ammunition, a set of tools, or another metal object (see chapter 5, "Equipment," in the Player's Handbook for examples of these items). The creation is completed at the end of the hour, coalescing in an unoccupied space of your choice on a surface within 5 feet of you.  The thing you create can be something that is worth no more than 100 gp. As part of this ritual, you must lay out metal, which can include coins, with a value equal to the creation. The metal irretrievably coalesces and transforms into the creation at the ritual's end, magically forming even nonmetal parts of the creation. The ritual can create a duplicate of a nonmagical item that contains metal, such as a key, if you possess the original during the ritual.

Edited by JubalBreakbottle (see edit history)
Name
Religion
1d20+2 4
History
1d20 9

Date

On This Magetag, the 23rd Day of Brookgreen,
in the 351st Year After the Cataclysm
(Tuesday, March 23, 351 AC)

The 3rd Day of the Campaign - Late Morning

spacer.png Ser Becklin Uth Viharin Darrett Highwater, Ser Becklin’s Squire Ridomir “Cudgel” Ironsmile Mayor Raven Uth Vogler
Yalme Ser Becklin Uth Viharin Darrett Highwater,
Ser Becklin’s Squire
Ridomir “Cudgel” Ironsmile Mayor Raven Uth Vogler
Jeyev Veldrews Lord Bakaris Uth Estide Bakaris “the Younger” Dragon Army Soldier Messenger Dragon Army Solider
Jeyev Veldrews,
Cudgel’s Lieutenant
Lord Bakaris Uth Estide Bakaris “the Younger”,
Lord Bakaris’s Son

Dragon Army (Red)

Soldier (Messenger)

Dragon Army (Red)

Soldier

During the River Gate

Before the dragonarmy messenger can leave, the dwarf steps forward igniting the head of his holy hammer in blue flames. “Messenger, I have a reply back to Belephaion, the Voice of Takhisis. Tell your commander that Coltan, the Apprentice of Reorx, stands with the villagers of Vogler. Reorx has returned to oppose the Queen of Darkness and protect His creation.”

When Coltan approaches her with a fiery hammer held up, she takes a stance that Artanis recognizes as Coltan’s imminent decapitation. Through narrowed eyes, she listens until Coltan calls himself ‘the Apprentice of Reorx’. Then, she relaxes and stands straight. “Well then, Coltan, Apprentice of Reorx, I shall deliver your message to my captain—if indeed, you are actually the Apprentice of Reorx, and not some pretender. What might the Apprentice of Reorx be doing so far north from Norbardin in the Kharolis Mountains? You don’t cut the impressive visage I’d have expected from the head Reorx’s clergy.” With that, she gallops away, up the road towards High Hill, leaving a cloud of dust in her wake.

After the River Gate

Who knows the area between here and Kalaman pretty well? I’m wondering if there’s a place where we could create a giant rockslide and dam up the river, thereby robbing this army of the ability to make use of it. Alternately, can you think of a different way it might be possible to dam up the river, or do you know someone else who might have ideas how we could do that?” Mery says to Mayor Raven.

Mayor Raven says, “Unfortunately, due to the plains-ish nature of the area, although the river obviously snakes through the lowest part of the region, you won’t find hills big enough to provide such a landslide until you go further inland away from the river for quite a distance. The battle of “High Hill” was on the highest part of the walkable area, and that was hardly a “hill” in the most generous of senses. 3 miles north west, the land does head upwards a bit, not all that much, and then drops off into the valley where that army is encamped.” She thinks for a moment and then continues. “Damming up the river would be disastrous. I’m not about to cut off my nose to spite my face. Simply put, that’s out of the question. There’s no way to do such a thing in time to stop this army from invading, and there’s no way to do it in such a way that won’t cause a reservoir to build up, bust the makeshift dam, and then absolutely destroy Vogler. You’ve convinced me to have us evacuate, and I’m about to give the order to start that process. When the army comes in this town, hopefully it will be empty and they will move on. My people can return and rebuild their lives. They cannot do that if there’s nothing left but a flood-scarred slab—if the flood doesn’t actually scrape enough of the town’s land to submerge it permanently.”

Cudgel says, “Mr. Veldrews and I both agree that if we can get the Ironclad Regiment into the town, we can defend it from this army—if not fully repel them, give us a lot more time to evacuate.” She looks back at the gate, where the messenger had given them Belephaion’s orders, and says, “Unfortunately, the only way to get the regiment into town without alerting the army is to kill—or capture if you insist—all of those Dragon Army Soldiers sitting up on that bluff just outside the gate. None of them can be allowed to escape to send word back to the army.”

“Well,” says Ser Becklin, speaking for the first time since leaving the Brass Crab, “There are a few ways you could do that. Of course, you could directly climb those bluffs—it’s only 30 feet—but you’ll be under fire the entire time, and you risk them sending a runner back. However, you could take a boat further up river and walk back within the forest behind them. I can send Derrett as your guide. Once you’ve gotten behind them, they can’t escape until you kill them or they surrender . . . or . . .” she thinks for a moment and says, “Well, that tinker gnome, Than, would be overjoyed to let you attempt to launch yourselves over our besiegers’ heads with Gnomeflinger . . .”

“Milady,” Darrett said, “Has Master Than managed to do something about the landing part? I mean, I’ve seen him use the Gnomeflinger successfully, but the object he flung . . . it landed rather more un-successfully, I might say . . .”

“If I remember correctly,” Ser Becklin said, “Master Than said something about a ‘Narrycrash’--some sort of backpack-like device that deployed a white sheet of cloth? I’ve only seen it work once, but I’ve been too busy with the funeral arrangements and the festival . . . so . . .”

The two are interrupted in their musings as Lord Bakaris and three thugs come running down the road, tails tucked between their legs. The lord looks scraped up and dirty on his front—perhaps he was thrown to the ground?—and the three bodyguards have javelins sticking out of their armor, and they’re all bleeding. They ran past your group, ignoring you. One of the men was yelling about how “those dragon army bastards killed Garlen, milord!”

Mayor Raven shakes her head and says, “Idiot,” before turning to the rest of you. “I’m going to go inform the elders that we need to begin the evacuation by boat. We have a bit of a problem, though. We have enough boats to evacuate at most 200 of the village’s people. There are around 400 in the village, so we’re going to need help coming up solutions. I have some ideas, but I may need your help. For now,” she looked back at the gate where you can now make out a javelin skewered, armored lump that must be the dead ‘Garlen’, “I need them removed without word getting back to the army so that we can get the Ironclad Regiment here.”

OOC

I want to apologize if any of you wished to chase after the messenger. You can say what you want to her, but she’s going to gallop off with the message from Coltan. Her warhorse is dashing 80 feet per round . . . so . . .

Anyway, this will be my last post before the 31st of July at the earliest. I’m looking forward to reading your posts from my Dad’s computer when I get back to Florida.

spacer.png

image.png.f43e797dc98446c97baef5b972307405.pngArtanis Brightblade

Human Knight of Solamnia 

AC: 19 (Chainmail, Shield +1) | HP: 22/22 () | Speed: 30 ft.
Senses: passive Perception 11, Insight 13, Investigation 9
Str: 17 (+3) | Dex: 8 (–1) | Con: 13 (+1) | Int: 8 (-1) | Wis: 12 (+1) | Cha: 16 (+3)
Languages: You can speak, read, and write Common and Solamnic

DR3 vs nonmagical bludgeoning, slashing, piercing

My words,  | My thoughts,’  | My actions . . .

At the Rivergate

Artanis bristles at the messengers demands, with careful eye on the soldiers atop the cliffs. As the Mayor listens to her demands, Artanis knows if he spoke for the village, the response would be different. Yet at present, they are here under a flag of parlay, and there are non-combatants nearby. He wonders what the messenger would have done if Mayor Raven lacked an escort. It isn't hard to recognise the symbol of the Dragon Queen on her armour, but his growing anger at the situation prevents his mind focusing on any further details.

His hand shifts to ready his sword as the messenger does the same, but it seems Coltan's words give her pause, and her mount carries her swiftly away. "Good work, Coltan - that'll give them something to chew on!" he mutters to the dwarf with heavy hand on his shoulder.

"You're right Modri - the only thing this parlay has left me more certain of is the need to get the villagers clear of Vogler, and before tonight it seems. Sailing them down the river seems a good idea as any, though I worry we'll be sending them from one siege to the next." He mulls over the detachment atop the cliff, and Coltan's question, as they walk back to town sombre. "What about that gnomeflinger device? Has it ever been tested Ser Becklin?" he asks much the same time as Darrett, offering the squire a friendly wink and mouthing the words great minds think alike.

As Lord Barks scrambles past them, Artanis adds after the Mayor "We'll need to keep order in the town for sure - make certain its a fair pace of evacuation with the children and needy first. I suspect some people might forget themselves."

OOC

Action: 

Bonus Action: 

Movement: 

Reaction: 

Object Interaction: 

Actions & Resources

Actions:

Longsword (versatile). Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 7 (1d8 + 5) slashing damage. Versatile damage: 8 (1d10 + 3) slashing damage.

Javelin (range, thrown) [3]. Thrown Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, ranged 30/120 ft., one target. Hit: 6 (1d6 + 3) piercing damage.

Battlefield Presence.

Bonus Actions:

Rallying Mark

Urgent Orders  

Helpful Word

Class Features:

Precise Strike. 2/2 (Long Rest)

Leadership Dice (d6). 3/3 (Short Rest, 1/turn)

Lead the Charge. When you roll initiative you gain temporary hit points equal to your Charisma modifier + your proficiency bonus (5 THP).

Edited by PureChance (see edit history)
Name
Religion DC 12
1d20-1 19
History DC17/20
keep(1d20,highest,1)-1 2

MerituuliToken.png.53f9774174cd1fbd27a1aa51cf1736c8.pngMerituuli Kaiutin

Level 3 Sea Elf Far Traveler Beast Master Ranger

AC: 18 (Scale Mail, +2 Shield) | HP: 36/36 (3d10+6+6) | Speed: 30 ft., Swim 30 ft.
Senses: passive Perception 17 (Expertise, Darkvision 60 ft.), Insight 15, Investigation 10
Str: 12 (+1) | Dex: 14 (+2) | Con: 14 (+2) | Int: 10 (+0) | Wis: 17 (+3) | Cha: 8 (-1)
Languages: Common, Elvish, Kenderspeak, Kharolian, Khur

“My words” | ‘My thoughts’  | My actions . . .

At the River Gate

On the approach to the entry gate, Merituuli takes a moment to appreciate the carvings of the leaping fish engraved into the wood, as he had done naught but a few days earlier. It was a comforting reminder of home - something he certainly needs in the moment. He attempts to maintain a neutral expression as the Red Dragon Army soldier delivers her message, but it doesn't last long as his emotions overtake him and his face twists into a furious scowl. He does, thankfully, remain quiet. He would have very choice words otherwise. He nods respectfully as Coltan steps forward to proclaim Reorx's return, a small smile temporarily overtaking the scowl. Know that Abbuku stands with you as well, friend. I can feel it.

After the River Gate

Eyeing the Red Dragon Army soldiers atop the bluff warily, Merituuli ponders over the presented options. "I'd be fine taking the river and looping behind them. Wouldn't even need a boat, in my case. I can just jump in and swim near the bottom of the riverbed with them being none the wiser. Not going to lie, though... I really want to see that Gnomeflinger in action. It would certainly give us the element of surprise."

OOC

Action: —

Bonus Action: —

Movement: —

Reaction: —

Actions & Resources

Actions:

Baculite Shell (Shillelagh). Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target.
Hit: 1d8+3 bludgeoning damage.

Thorn Whip. Melee Spell Attack: +5 to hit, range 30 ft., one target.
Hit: 1d6 piercing damage.

Heavy Crossbow (heavy, loading, two-handed). Ranged Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, range 100/400 ft., one target.
Hit: 1d10+2 piercing damage.

Dagger (finesse, light, thrown). Melee or Ranged Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, reach 5 ft. or range 20/60 ft., one target.
Hit: 1d4+2 piercing damage.

Baculite Shell (Quarterstaff) (versatile). Melee Weapon Attack: +3 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target.
Hit: 1d6+1 bludgeoning damage.
Versatile damage: 1d8+1 bludgeoning damage.

Net (thrown, special). Ranged Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, range 5/15 ft., one target.
Hit: A Large or smaller creature hit by a net is restrained until it is freed. A net has no effect on creatures that are formless, or creatures that are Huge or larger. A creature can use its action to make a DC 10 Strength check, freeing itself or another creature within its reach on a success. Dealing 5 slashing damage to the net (AC 10) also frees the creature without harming it, ending the effect and destroying the net.

Bonus Actions:

Primal Companion: Take Action. As a bonus action on your turn you command your Primal Companion to take another action. That action can be one in its stat block or some other action. You can also sacrifice one of your attacks when you take the Attack action to command the beast to take the Attack action. If you are incapacitated, the beast can take any action of its choice, not just Dodge.

Other:

Favored Foe. When you hit a creature with an attack roll, you can call on your mystical bond with nature to mark the target as your favored enemy for 1 minute or until you lose your concentration (as if you were concentrating on a spell).

The first time on each of your turns that you hit the favored enemy and deal damage to it, including when you mark it, you can increase that damage by 1d4.

You can use this feature to mark a favored enemy a number of times equal to your proficiency bonus, and you regain all expended uses when you finish a long rest.

This feature’s extra damage increases when you reach certain levels in this class: to 1d6 at 6th level and to 1d8 at 14th level.

Friend of the Sea. You can communicate simple ideas to any Beast with a swimming speed. It can understand your words but you cannot understand it in return.

Ammunition:

20/20 Crossbow Bolts

Class Features:

• 2/2 Favored Foe Marks
  • 3/3 1st Level Spells
Edited by PhoenixSlayer (see edit history)
Name
Religion Check
1d20 6
History Check
1d20 15

Before the Rivergate

Mery sighs after her conversation with Cudgel. 'I suppose I shouldn't be completely surprised by that response, but I'm worried what the consequences are going to be.'

However, when Jeyev eyes her, an idea comes to her. She meets his eyes and gives him the most innocuous look she can muster, then says in subtle, mild tones, "I think you should be concerned, Mr. Veldrews. There are those about who would betray the great nation of Solamnia. We should all be showing heightened vigilance, don't you think?"

After the Rivergate

It's on the tip of Mery's tongue to respond to the Mayor with a quick history lesson about the number of nations that had lost wars due to an inability to see the larger picture, but honesty compels her to admit that the lesson might not be so brief, and the timing seems a bit premature. There were also a lot things that needed doing right now. 'The Mayor needs allies right now more than people who want to give her a lesson about something. So be that ally and maybe later there will be a chance to talk history with her.'

The idea of traveling via the Gnomeflinger doesn't appeal to Mery at all, narycrash or no narycrash. The idea of helping the mayor find more boats for moving people does, so she asks the Mayor, "What boats do you have right now for moving the 200 people you say you can move?" While she waits for the Mayor to answer, she takes a look around. Does she see any boats immediately visible in the area?

OOC

Action: 

Reaction:

Mount Movement:

Actions & Resources

Actions:

Bonus Actions:

Healing Word

Ammunition:

Spellcasting:

Class Features:

Perception - look around for boats

Deception - deceive Jeyev Mery is on to him

Intimidation - worry Jeyev what Mery actually knows

OOC

Name
Perception - look around for boats
1d20+1 13
Deception - deceive Jeyev Mery is on to him
1d20+7 1
Intimidation - worry Jeyev what Mery actually knows
1d20+5 7
Investigation check - any other boat options?
1d20+4 14

token1.png.1f361b5b69f15cd7a9ff716bb787caee.pngHunni Collic

Gully Dwarf Mage of High Sorcery Hexblade Warlock

AC: 18 (Scale Mail+2 Shield +2 Dex) | HP: 26/26 (hd 3d8) | Speed: 30 ft.
Senses: Darkvision, passive Perception 11, Insight 11, Investigation 9
Str: 8 (-1) | Dex: 14 (+2) | Con: 15 (+2) | Int: 8 (-1) | Wis: 12 (+1) | Cha: 17 (+3)
Languages: You can speak, read, and write Common, Gullytalk, Elven, and Dwarven

Before River Gate

Hunni rides up on her giant snake, looking as unconcerned as she can. She watches the interactions between everyone and looks more thoughtful than anything.

After River Gate

"If the gnomeflinger works, I could be tossed up to fight the guards," she suggests, "Although I will need backup. Like, lots of backup. Or perhaps I could try to run away, and lure them into an ambush, although I bet they are faster than me with those long legs."

OOC

Action:

Bonus Action:

Movement:

Reaction:

Actions and Resources

Actions

Eldritch Blast (cantrip). Ranged Spell Attack: + 5 to hit, range 120 ft, one target.
Hit: (1d10 + cha) force damage.

Infestation (cantrip). Spell: Constitution Save DC 13, range 30 ft, one target.
On failed save: (1d6) poison damage, and target must move 5' in a random direction (d4; 1-North, 2-South, 3-East, 4-West). 

Improved Pact Weapon varies, usually whip (+1 to hit, damage, spell focus)

Whip (finesse, reach). Melee Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, reach 10 ft., one target.
Hit: (1d4 + 4) slashing damage.

Battleaxe (versatile). Melee Weapon Attack: reach 5 ft., one target.
Hit: (1d8 - 1) slashing damage.
Versatile: (1d10 - 1) slashing damage.

Staff of the Python (versatile). Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target.
Hit: (1d6 +3) bludgeoning damage.
Versatile: (1d8 +3) bludgeoning damage.

☆ Note:  With Hex Warrior, can set one weapon to use Charisma instead of Strength or Dexterity for to-hit and damage.  Normally Staff of the Python, but also always Pact Weapon.

Bonus Actions

Hexblade's Curse.

Starting at 1st level, you gain the ability to place a baleful curse on someone. As a bonus action, choose one creature you can see within 30 feet of you. The target is cursed for 1 minute. The curse ends early if the target dies, you die, or you are incapacitated. Until the curse ends, you gain the following benefits:

• You gain a bonus to damage rolls against the cursed target. The bonus equals your proficiency bonus.
  • Any attack roll you make against the cursed target is a critical hit on a roll of 19 or 20 on the d20.
  • If the cursed target dies, you regain hit points equal to your warlock level + your Charisma modifier (minimum of 1 hit point).

You can’t use this feature again until you finish a short or long rest.

Grovel, Cower, and Beg (Reskinned Draconic Cry).

As a bonus action, you let out a cry at your enemies within 10 feet of you. Until the start of your next turn, you and your allies have advantage on attack rolls against any of those enemies who could hear you. You can use this trait a number of times equal to your proficiency bonus, and you regain all expended uses when you finish a long rest.

Spellcasting

Spell Slots:  2 / 2, cast at 2nd level

Hunni is a spellcaster.  Her spell slots are at 1st level.  She has 2 spell slots.  Her spellcasting attribute is Charisma.  Spell Save DC 13.  Spell Attack Modifier +5.  She can use an arcane focus as a spellcasting focus.

• Cantrips:  Eldritch Blast, Infestation, Prestidigitation
  • Spells Known:  Armor of Agathys, Wrathful Smite, Hex, Dissonant Whispers, Unseen Servant, Blur
  • Invocations:  Improved Pact Weapon, Agonizing Blast