Year 2949-50: Sentinel of the North

Vladim

Still disarmed by the clarity of the dream Ingi first answers answers "For I could see his face and more strangely I could swear that he could see mine" shaking himself he added "What I mean to say is that it felt like the man himself, not shade nor shadow, but a man - with his own will. For me this is a strange, I never before have felt this in my dreams, and judging from his reaction he also feels equally disquieted by the experience"

After a pause - and sensing the curiosity of the companions "I know him from previous travels, the folk-moot of the Woodmen more than one year ago. In truth Idunn and Gramtyng had more dealings with him.... Some sort of outcast if I remember correctly, though through no fault of his own. When I knew him he was serving Lord Ceawin of the East Bight although I know not more of the history or of his current affiliations than that."

spacer.pngGramtyng awoke with a start, leaping to his feet, sword midway out its sheathe... but then sat back down on his bedroll, seeing the familiar surroundings and hearing his companions talking quietly. He took a few moments to collect himself, listening to their talk - the same dream he had. Belgo gasped, waking up from the dream and looking around wildly, until the Rohirrim's hand patted him on the shoulder and he fell backwards onto his own bedroll, staring at the ceiling. "His name is Heruthain. He was the captain of the Kingsguard in Edoras, in the Golden Hall... and is exiled from his home for partially the same reason I am. He trained the Kingsguard - it was an honor to recieve any sort of guidance from him. A few years back, he gave me a few training lessons... along with the helmet I bear." Gramtyng paused, shaking his head. "He is a hard, harsh man with little regard for politeness. But he would NOT try to pull his blade out on me as he did in the dream. We may not be friends - I am not respectful enough, and he too harsh, but he is a good man, and I would trust him to have my back any day. Something is wrong."

spacer.pngGramtyng nodded grimly. "When I felt the presence behind me, I decided it was hostile, and me and whoever was ahead would have a better chance together. I rushed forward, yelling a warning but... Haruthain not only recognized me, yelled in surprise about it - he also began to draw his sword while looking at me. He would not do that. He is a grouchy old man but he would never qct like that."

spacer.pngIdunn sat quietly for a while, taking a corner by the hearth, and stirring the embers with a long stick while listening. She would gladly have slept longer, had it not been for these bothersome dreams, but as she sat she learned that she had dreamt what the others had also seen, though her guess was not better than anyone else's when it came to their meaning.

'I saw the man too,' she said at length, when a lull in the conversation occured, 'the horse-lord from Gramtyng's lands. Heruthain, son of Fulgrim, lord Ceawin's sell-sword. And he saw me too, I think, and spoke to me just as he had spoken to Gramtyng in his dream. Yet he did not jump to his doom, not in my dream at least. Or perhaps he meant to, but the dream faded before he could do anything of the sort.' She fell silent for a while, and let the embers be, and looked to her companion from Rohan in the eyes, adding ominously:

'I do not think he was in his right mind...'

She fell silent again for a while, and wondered if sleep would come to them again in this night, after such a dream...

(OOC: Just some minor confirmation from Idunn and perhaps a hint... will wait for another day before moving the plot forwards!)

spacer.png"You say he jumped? Can you be certain? In my dream I saw him step and disappear, but I do not recall seeing him fall. Hard men such as the one you describe, they don't kill themselves. Not like that.

Plunge over a cliff grappling a foe, yes. Stand in the pass and hold back the hordes for their comrades, yes. But to just walk off a roof, no. There is something missing here.

Many are the Beornings who seek a new start, to put their past behind them. Maybe the root lies there. What is this exile of which you speak? Why do two otherwise honorable horse lords feel they cannot go home? Is it possible that your fates are bound together?"

spacer.pngIdunn shook her head as Dahr-Ol spoke. 'He did not jump,' she explained, 'at least not in my dream. But he stood near the edge when I spoke to him. Too close. As if he was drawn... or... mesmerized... by some strange spell.'

As to the rest of the Beorning's questions, she simply turned to Gramtyng, allowing him to explain. He was, after all, much better suited to speak of the histories and news of his peoples, and he knew this Heruthain better than she did.

OOC / General info

I should have mentioned this a bit earlier, but in any case, this should be as good a time as any to explain another feature of this adventure: personal arcs.

As the story progresses, personal arcs, or character-specific 'quests', will be activated. These may be directly relevant to the main plot, or just tangientially, or not at all, but a common theme (hopefully) will be personal stakes for the PC that is the focal point. Now I am not going to pretend that every PC's arc is equally exciting or exceptionally well-written; quality may vary a bit (sorry!), but I tried my best to make a little something for everyone, and I hope you will enjoy it 

Now we are at a good point to announce that Gramtyng's personal arc has been activated: The exiled horse-lord. I will update the tracking thread to include this. Figuring out what exactly is happening is Gramtyng's sort of little side-quest, if Dio is interested in pursuing (but none of you have to if you feel that the character wouldn't).

Just because these are personal arcs, that doesn't mean that other PCs cannot join in. It is not only allowed, but highly encouraged, and a great way to forge strong bonds and interpersonal relationships within the fellowship, with both RP and mechanics. So everyone should feel free to get involved!

For me also, it was as Idunn describes. added Ingi. "He did not fall, but it was almost if he was drawn to the edge by some mesmerizing force".

"There is more however we have not touched. Did you all hear the same song, Of Durin and his crown ? The tales of laketown would have me believe he was a renowned dwarf of old, but perhaps our companions can shed more light on the matter..." and Ingi added as an afterthought "Did anyone turn and face the presence behind them ? For if it were hostile it should have had at least time to move and make itself known and yet I felt no such attack - and either way knowing may shed light on the larger matter"

spacer.pngNori sits up now that a full conversation has started among the fellowship's members. Rubbing his eyes with his fingers, he listens to the others speak, eventually dropping his hands from his face and blinking as he stares forward into the dimly lit room. He's not looking at anyone specifically, just gazing off into nothingness as he listens.

When Ingi asks about the song, Nori nods his head and finally looks in the man's direction. "Aye... It was that song indeed. But no... I didn't turn about. I felt it better to move forward than to glance back. It was a disturbing presence, whatever it was. But this Heruthain... what connection does he have to this tower and Gundabad?" His eyes search the faces of the others, or as best he can see in the dim firelight, and finally focuses on Gramtyng. "What does a guard of Rohan have to do with a tower this far north?"

spacer.pngCelebros gave a slow nod to Ingi, affirming the man's questions. "Yes; each of those were present in my dream as well." The man upon the ledge, though, was unfamiliar. "I cannot say that he was a horse lord, but certainly he had the bearing of such."

He listened as Ingi revealed more about the man in their dreams. Celebros leaned forward, glancing from Ingi to the others, studying each of their reactions. Then it was Gramtyng that chimed in to provide more answers. The elf rubbed his chin thoughtfully, pondering the one named Heruthain.

"In the dream I considered turning around, but the man up the ledge, this Heruthain, held my attention," he lamented, frowning to himself.

Celebros looked to Gramtyng and asked, "This exiled horse lord. Could he have any dealings with Viglund?"

spacer.pngGramtyng nodded to Idunn and turned to Dahr-Ol. "I was exiled for my sharp tongue. One of Fengel King's Marshalls had gotten drunk before an event and barely managed to stay on his horse - a disgrace. I made a bitting little poem about him... and when it was known, the King sent me here, suggesting I learn respect and find the roots of my people. I got away easily, frankly. My quarrels with my father notwithstanding, Fengel King is... mad. His state deterriorates by the day - after I left, he ordered Heruthain to duel one of the young guard who offended him... and when the weaponmaster obviously won, he demanded he kill the boy. Heruthain proceeded to break his spear and walk out, taking his squire with him." The bard fell silent for a moment, remembering the older man's furious speech about going to Bard to topple Fengel, and wishing to seek out Thengel, his son. "So to answer your question, it is because our King has gone mad... and his heir is far away. I have no clues about why he, who pledged his blade to Ceawin, is this far north, nor have I ideas about Gundabad or the Tower... but there is, somewhere in the north, the ancient city of my ancestors, the Eothed. I do not know where it is, how much remains of it, or if Viglund plundered it. But I am obligated to find it... I have always been curious about our history, even beyond the madman's order. Heruthain's more than just a guard though... he is fit to be captain of the Kingsguard, even if he isnt anymore." He shook his head when he heard Celebros's question: "Not based on what I know of Viglund and Heruthain. But if he isnt in his right mind... perhaps. There's also... something else that may lure one of the People of the Mark this far North - but Heruthain isnt the sort to pay keen attention to stories and tall tales like I do - so he probably hasnt heard."

Ingi listened to the puzzle pieces the other had to offer - partially out of a wish to solve this riddle and partially out of a love of lore. When the conversation lulled he interjected. "Nori, what meaning has the song to your people ? It seems a strange coalescence of horselord, ancient tower and dwarven song" and to Gramtyng "forgive my curiosity, and please if it is not something you wish to openly speak of say frankly - but what is it you allude to ?"

spacer.pngThe bard nodded to Ingi's question and shrugged. "Throughout my time in Wilderland, I've been collecting local lore in every wat I can for inspiration to write songs and... well, I am somewhat of a fledgeling lore collector. So imagine my surprise when I began coming across various stories that mention a horse named the Steed of the Moon. Based on all my research - and confirmed at the Moot by Radagast - this horse can only be a Mearh. The Mearas are... well, to put it simply, an incredibly intelligent, swift and powerful horse the likes of which were ridden by Eorl the Young - Felarof, first of the Mearas. Their line has continued down - though sparcely - in Rohan. They choose their rider but the rider must prove himself." Gramtyng dug out a pipe and lit it, thoughtfully digging out a piece of coal and lighting it. "No rider, be they of the Mark or not, would remain uninterested in such a horse. Perhaps the old man wishes to give legitimacy to Thengel - son of the madman, Fengel, by giving him the steed. As for me... I will also look for it. But I'm not about to hand it to anyone. Such a creature, wind itself, should not belong to anyone but the wilds. It deserves freedom. But I would dearly love to test myself against it and see its judgement."

spacer.pngThere's a frown on Nori's face when Ingi inquires about the song. It isn't intended to be a look of displeasure at his companion's inquisitiveness - although it might be construed that way - but one noting the difficulty of answering such a question. "It means a great many of things to a great many of dwarves," Nori starts out slowly and cautiously, as if uncertain where to being, if at all. "To me... It's a song of hope. As the hymn says, the world has turned grey... but the sons of Durin continue on. And one day... someone... maybe Durin himself... will bring the world back to what it once was." Nori's attention then shifts to Barin - solemn eyes focusing on his brethren - as if to seek confirmation or the other dwarf's opinion on the matter.