Year 2949-50: Sentinel of the North

Vladim

spacer.pngNori's face contorts as he considers the question of visiting 'Old Mab'. While Gramtyng and Idunn's suggestion of seeking out the old woman's advice on the geopolitical and supernatural matters, Barin raised a notable consideration regarding the timing and effort required to make their way to her cabin in the woods. Focusing his eyes on the other dwarf, Nori states, "I would not be surprised to hear she knows something about our dreams. She knows a great deal of this world." His attention then shifts back to Idunn and Gramtyng. "But I agree with Barin... The trip to visit Old Mab isn't a good idea at this time. Getting there is going to be tricky, especially with a group of this size..."

It's then that something dawns on Nori, the dwarf pressing his lips tightly together and leaning back. His eyes staring into the fire. "... but that does not mean all of us need to make the journey. Some of us could make our way to Viglund's halls to make a timely appearance and begin to assess the man. The rest of us could make our way to Old Mab, find out what she knows, and then rejoin the rest." Nori raises his eyes to look among the group as he makes the suggestion of splitting the party. "Should we be waylaid in Viglund's lands, the benefit Old Mab might provide would not be delayed."

spacer.pngAs the discussions continued, Núr, son of Dridek, the young dwarf who accompanied Barin and served as his apprentice, produced from a leather scroll case fastened on his belt the map of Wilderland that the two dwarves had used to plan their journeys. Unlike the rest of the companions, Núr carried equipment was new and not at all weather-worn. His father Dridek, whose fortune and funds in Erebor were considerable, had made sure that everything was well-made and beautifully crafted, the best that gold could buy from the combined markets of Erebor, Dale and Lake-Town, for Núr was his only son. Under other circumstances, it would be a point of pride, but here it only made the young dwarf stand out as inexperienced and, perhaps, somewhat pampered, at least to those companions who were assuming folk.

spacer.pngSeeing Núr unfurl the map and place it upon the floor, Idunn drew nearer, and joined him and his master, Barin, in their discussions and deliberations. She pointed at a place in the map on the opposite side of the Anduin, just above a small forest. ’There,’ she said to the dwarves, ’near the northern edge of the Rushdown Wood, just a few miles north of the confluence of the Serpent River and the Rushdown, where the waters tumble over Eagles’ Falls. That is where Old Mab’s hut is. Only a few miles as the crow flies: a day’s journey, or two days’ at most, if we could walk over the Anduin. But to ford the river, we’d need to go much further north, and this would add many days to our journey.’ She paused, and searched for the place on the map where the river could be forded, according to what she had learned in the past from old Mab, but she found that she could not remember its exact location.

spacer.png’Many days indeed.’ said Heva, who had been observing the small gathering. ’The place you are seeking is the North Ford, but the waters are too deep and too treacherous in winter. You cannot cross there, not unless you are willing to wait till spring. The only way to cross the Anduin in winter is by boat, and even then the crossing can be perilous.’

[OOC @Suzuki Stumpy: There you go, a picture for Núr, and the hint of a backstory to get you started… Feel free to build upon it if that’s your jam, or he can just be a mechanic if you don’t care too much – I am fine either way, but may use him as a narrative device from time to time, if convenient (like here).

I’d like to know the final verdict on Fellowship Focuses from for the following characters:
Nori has Fundor as listed, so I think it’s time for an update.
Celebros, Annungil, Dahr-Ol and Ingi have no-one. That’s a totally valid choice, but if it was just an omission, please let me know and I will correct it.
For the others, it seems that they have someone: Barin has Nori, and Idunn and Gramtyng have each other, so all good.

I’ll give you guys about a week of real-world time to keep discussing and to reach a decision on how to continue before moving on to the next scene. The location of Old Mab's hut is marked on the Map of Wilderland, in the Setting folder of these forums (link). Let me know if you need help locating it! Regarding the rest of this scene, I will only provide feedback in character if you choose to engage an NPC (mainly Heva, but others like Idunn or Núr are also valid choices). In the meantime, to avoid decision paralysis, feel free to vote in this Doodle link: CLICK!

As said on Discord: I realise that we already made the two sub-fellowships, and I said that journey roles are fixed for the rest of the adventure, but I am willing to make an exception to allow PCs to pursue whatever interests them most. So I am happy to allow you to re-shuffle the sub-fellowships so that those who wanna go straight to Viglund can do that, and those who wanna go for Mab first can also go for it!]

spacer.pngBarin blew out his moustasche as he *harrumphed* as Idunn pointed out where Old Mab's hut lay on the map.

"I don't like it one bit." he said shaking his head gravely. "The river is wide, and damn cold at this time of year. Falling in those waters would be a death sentence for anyone - yes, even for one of Durin's folk - hardy though we are. And, unless you fancy a very long walk into Orc territory, you're going to have to cross the river again to get back!"

Turning to Heva he asked, "You're certain there is no crossing other than the Ford? No bridge spanning the river at any point?" Without waiting for an answer, he continued "Hmm, I suppose if there were a deep and narrow passage of the river then it might be less of a risk - deep waters run slower ... You'd need someone handy with an axe though to cut enough wood for a raft, which means one of us Dwarves would need to go along with you. No offience to the rest of you all, but you might be good in a fight, but honest, all day long axe swinging? Felling woodland? That's a REAL Dwarves' work." he added this last piece with a mischievous grin towards Celebros so the elf knew he was simply having some fun at his expense.

Again, addressing Heva, he asked, "Where would you recommend crossing at this time of year if we absolutely had to do it?"

spacer.pngDahr-Ol's eyebrows arched in surprise as he listened to Heva.

"Heva, it puzzles me that Viglund would come this far south with a war band if he is being pressed hard in the north. Did he say why he felt it necessary to patrol this far south with no known threat?"

spacer.pngThe bard let the others explain about Old Mab while he ensured Belgo had properly taken care of Leasere, before returning to the fire. "The dreams arent the only reason I wanted to talk to Old Mab. There's also that... thing Beorn has shown us, from Valter. And with the things I've learned, well... I want to at least try to learn something. The dream, of course, was disturbing, but... Well. That thing was more so. Not to mention who Valter was." He raised his head and nodded at Nori's suggestion. "Perhaps splitting up is a good idea, at this point."

spacer.pngHeva turned her attention away from the map and the dwarves for a while, and looked at Dahr-Ol, shaking her head. Clearly she liked him, but found his question rather naive, and surely he would have known better if he were living in these lands. This much was evident from the somewhat condescending look and tone the Beorning received - as if she were explaining it to a little child:

'You do not know Viglund well, Dahr-Ol of the Beornings. For he never tires of reminding us how much we owe to him and his efforts. By his blood are the orcs kept at bay, as he is fond of saying. But even Viglund cannot provide for all of his men. His lands are baren, and his folk are no farmers or shepherds. They only know war. And so he comes to extract from us what he needs, and we are forced to provide. He deems it just payment for his services. Not all of us agree, but none dares argue with Viglund or his weorod.'

[Out of Character: Weorod is Old English for 'warband'. The terms will be used interchangeably in this adventure.]

spacer.png"In this you are correct Heva, I do not know Viglund at all. A few stories swapped by a fireside are the only knowledge I have of the man. Thank you for sharing yours. Should I assume that the reverse is true of the free cottars, that they are farmers and not warriors? Peaceful folk who would be at a loss on a battlefield?"

spacer.pngHeva arched an eyebrow and cracked a slight smile upon hearing Dahr-Ol’s question. ’Be careful not to say such things to their faces!’ she exclaimed, now laughing almost. ’My folk are free folk, proud and fiercely independent. They know the bow and the spear, for some are hunters as well as farmers… and they are always prepared to defend their lands from orcs.

Yet things have changed since the Battle of the Five Armies. Those most skilled in arms have long chosen sides, joining either Beorn or Viglund. The few that did not left for Dale and Lake-Town, to seek their fortunes. Those that were left here had ties too strong to sever. Like us.

But pride and conviction alone can do little against mail and sharp swords, helms and shields. Viglund and his men are better equipped, more experienced, and ruthless when they need to be. They must be, if they are to survive against the orcs and the trolls, the wargs and the Hill-Men. Some amongst the Free Cottars are strong-headed, and may believe that they would stand a chance against the Viglundings. Indeed, Viglund would rather have them on his side than against him: he would indeed gain the victory, but not at no cost.

But if you ask for my opinion, none of us could hold against Viglund for long, not without aid from Beorn or other allies.’

spacer.pngDahr-Ol flushed red when it seemed the woman might take offense to his question, nervously he ran a hand through his beard while she finished.

"I meant no offense I only wish to understand your people and Viglund. Your situation reminds me of a deer, hunted by a wolf and wishing only to find a place of safety. I have no authority to speak on Beorn's behalf. I can promise you only that he views Viglund as warily as you, and that he is not interested in forcing any to follow him."

spacer.pngHeva waved her hand, dismissing the need for an apology. 'None taken,' she said, adding: 'but I am not one to take offense so easily. What I said was meant only as a warning, should you travel further to the north. Some amongst us are proud - very proud indeed! - and might not take kindly to having their ability in war questioned. I cannot say where the truth lies, as I can only speak for myself. I am only an old wife and mother, a frail old woman!' She smiled impishly.

'But if you ask for my opinion, then I guess that Viglund is stronger than any of the Free Cottars alone. I could be wrong, however.' She shrugged.

At the mentioning of Beorn, she smiled. 'Send my regards to the old bear when you next see him. It has been many years since I last saw him here.'

OOC / Mechanics

Let me know when you decide on the Fellowship Focuses (Foci). So far, I think Celebros went for Ingi, but some of the others are still up in the air!

As for splitting (which seems to be the preferred choice for now), so far we have something like:
Directly to Viglund: Dahr-Ol, Nori, Barin.
To Old Mab first: Gramtyng, Celebros (not sure?)
Unknown: Annungil, Ingi
I will use Idunn to balance the two groups (adding her to the smaller group).

spacer.pngDahr-Ol nodded in appreciation as Heva explained her thoughts. He picked up another pancake, applied some of the thick cream, rolled it into a vaguely sausage shaped roll, and grinned.

"Heva, when Lord Beorn hears how well we ate tonight you may find yourself with a permanent house guest.

One last question, if I may. When Viglund requested that our people celebrate the Yule together, his message hinted that he had some great treasure he wished to show off. Have you heard any rumors about such a thing?"

Through this conversation, Annungil sat quietly, listening, with his cloak pulled tightly around him as he ate. For he was a son of the South, used to the warm winds that flow up the Anduin from the sea. Not the brutal cold of a far northern winter. But he listened as they spoke.

"If we must raft across a river, I can guide it across. In my youth and time serving in the guard, I spent a lot of time working boats." Annungil spoke slowly as he considered. "But perhaps we travel to Viglund so that we do not insult our host. After the feast, we can meet this Mab."

He still was not entirely sure who she was, or what she was. Yet he had seen the sorcery on the field with Valter, and that was something they would need to know to combat against. But he also did not desire to insult the host during a diplomatic mission.

spacer.pngThe woman laughed at Dahr-Ol's remark for a while, and gently slapped the young Beorning in the back in an affectionate, motherly way. 'I am glad you enjoyed them!' she said, appreciating the complement. 'Winter's no time to be in the wild, but if I can ease your journey with a simple meal, then I am glad.'

She allowed Dahr-Ol to speak on, and at his question she nodded once, confirming the rumours. 'I've heard them too, but even more than that, I've seen it. When he visited here, in fact. His entire wearod was clad in hauberks of mail that covered them from head to toe, and they wore bright helms with inlaid gold. They mostly kept their swords in their sheathes, but on their hilts were blood-red gems of garnet; large and beautifully cut, that refracted and reflected the light splendidly. I would know; Viglund himself proudly displayed his sword, which was the most magnificent. I have never seen such a thing before; no mere weapon, but truly a work of great craftsmanship, a piece of art from a lost age.' She paused and looked to her audience, observing if they were captured by the recounting of her memory.

'Viglund was always digging things up in the North, always searching for lost hoards and forgotten lore. I reckon he has struck gold at last. He claimed he found many great weapons of old, and many coins and gems, the treasures of his ancestors. But I did not see any of that. I take it you all are travelling to Viglund's then? If so, then you will see there my husband, for he is also joining the celebrations at Viglund's great hall.'

spacer.pngIdunn listened to Heva's tales with curiosity and amazement, but her attention was split between the kind woman and her companion, Gramtyng, who spoke of Valter, and of dark things. She wondered about such things also, but she had no answers, though she worried that all these ill tidings might somehow be connected. But now they had a fire, and warm food, and a roof over their heads, and so perhaps they could speak about such things without other worries, at least for one night.

'What did you discover in Dale?' she asked Gramtyng plainly. Her curiosity had been gnawing on her ever since the young bard had returned, and at last she felt as if she had found an opportune moment to speak of this while all were present and gathered under one roof, before their paths would separate for a while.

OOC / Mechanics

Alright, based on the poll and the discussion, I think the fellowship will be split as follows:
Nori, Barin, Dahr-Ol and Annungil will head straight to Viglund's house, probably via the elf-wood.
Gramtyng, Celebros, Ingi and Idunn will try to reach Old Mab first.

If I am incorrect, please let me know!

spacer.pngGramtyng listened attentively to Heva's words, nodding along as she spoke and shook his head at the end. If this treasure really did come where he thought it did... This was going to go south very quickly. Ideally, it would end at 'uncomfortable' and not go into outright bloodshed but... Well, hopefully he was wrong. Wars had been started over less. He turned to Idunn, startled as he struggled to shift his mindset. "Ah." He finally remembered. "Right, that... There's a couple things. Valter isnt some random rich thug. Dale had genealogical records, and, well... He's descended from Girion." Finally said the bard. "His plan was likely a lot more complicated than we originally assumed."