Sheet Folders in Testing ×

Year 2949-50: Sentinel of the North

Vladim

A deep frown creased Annungil's face as he listened to the words of the thanes. He knew little of Viglund or these Viglundings, and little more of the political nature of the Anduin and its people. But this... concerned him. He knew about Men who threw their lot in with the servants of the Enemy. Cruel they were, and often desperate, to work with those who would otherwise despise them.

"Treasures of an ancient age," he said softly, "Perhaps treasures coming from a ruined city with a great tower?" He tapped his fingers on the edge of the chair in which he sat. He sat straighter and met the gaze of whichever of the Thanes looking toward him. "I am willing to listen to this idea that your words hint at."

spacer.pngCelebros was poised comfortably in his chair, listening to the woes of the thanes and their people. The news was grim and it was as he feared: orcs. The twisted creatures were becoming bolder and more of a problem than previously. In time, their numbers would swell and that would mean dark times for all, not just the Beornlings. Then, there was the problem of Viglund. Hubris of men never ceased to amaze him.

He shifted in his seat, leaning forward, as he put one arm out, finger splayed. "Please, I would be interested hearing more." On some level, he anticipated what would be said next; that these Beornling Thanes would ask of them to act on their behalf. To be diplomats and peacekeepers, or... at the least, be their spies.

spacer.pngThe Thane shrugged as Annungil ended his sentence, and with his raspy voice he replied matter-of-factly: ’Perhaps. Who can tell? The Northern lands are ancient lands. Once our forefathers dwelt there, as did the dwarves of old, whose holdings could be found throughout the mountains, if the tales are to be believed.’ He paused. He was no great lore-master, but he had heard of and paid heed to the folk-wisdom of yore, that spoke of the horse-folk and the sons of Durin, who had once ruled those lands jointly. A long time ago: many centuries; few could remember how many in this present age. For ancient history had been forgotten long ago, turned into songs and legends and strange tales, fragments from a bygone age.

’But if it is old treasure that Viglund has found, and not stolen from other folk, then my guess is that such treasure came from the dwarves of yore. For they built their mansions and palaces under the Misty Mountains, and there they buried their gold and gems and the work of their forges. But this is but a guess… and who can tell if Viglund is telling the truth, even?’

spacer.pngHe turned to Celebros and sought to speak to him, but before he could open his mouth, he was interrupted by Hrothgar, the new Thane of Judgement, whose eager speech filled the room. ’Let me be direct and speak plainly.’ he said. ’Viglund’s invitation was not made to Beorn specifically, but to any and all of the folk of these vales. Undoubtedly, he expects Beorn’s emissaries – us or others – to flaunt his wealth and flex his muscles. But he does not expect an embassy of the Free Folk. Which is exactly what your gathering is. If he knows that the eyes of Elves and Men and Dwarves are upon him, if he understands that tidings of his newly-gained treasures will spread far and wide, and swiftly… Well… If he is as cunning as I think he is, then he will act more cautiously, and perhaps such knowledge will check his plans and ambitions, and deter him from a path that would be folly. We can only hope.’

He turned to look at Idunn for a moment before addressing the company in its entirety. ’There was a chance for peace and for friendship once. Though diminished, this chance may yet exist. My predecessor, Merovech, had an understanding with one of Viglund’s Thanes, a man called Guthred. They did not like each other, and nor did they agree on all matters, but they saw at least that an arrangement was to the benefit of both peoples. With Merovech dead, the door is closing, but his cousin lives on. I am even told that some of you know Guthred personally. Perhaps even have his respect. I believe that we can find no better emissaries than you – so long as you are willing, that is.’

OOC

I just moved things forward a bit, but this is the typical ‘quest-giving’ part of the adventure. You can, of course, reject it, but without accepting this premise we can’t really have much of an adventure! I’ll try to do things somewhat less rail-roady as we proceed.

The other potential use of this scene is to gather information about Viglund, his lands, and the overall political situation in the region from the Thanes, which you are free, and even encouraged, to do. But if you prefer to move forward a bit, I have no problem with fast-forwarding to the next scene. Just say the word!

spacer.png"What I know of Viglund, I have only heard from others. That he is known to keep thralls much like the Hillmen keep slaves. That he is cruel and scornful.

As for the city I believe it exists. My father said he laid eyes upon it. It was not unknown for them to hunt the lower slopes and foothills of Mt Gram so long as they left the orc and goblin claimed mountain proper alone. If Viglund is asking for some sort of treaty, perhaps he is being pressed by the Hillmen or the orcs? Certainly some of them must have passed by his borders in order to molest us.

If I were Viglund I would want to negotiate for help from a position of strength, by demonstrating my power or wealth so that prospective allies would not feel they could take advantage of me, but also to ensure that they would not dare to ignore me should I call."

spacer.png"If this Viglund character is indeed consorting with Orcs and Goblinkind then he poses a threat to both Menfolk and Dwarvenkind alike." Barin stated, "Indeed, it may well be the case that he is behind the Orc's ousting of the last of my kinfolk from the Grey Mountains, although deep in my heart. I believe that their foul incursions leads back even further."

"Whatever, I will be willing to assist any venture North to get to the deeper understanding of what has occurred .. as long as it co-incides with my King's mission for me to dig deep for information on the strength of numbers and organisation of the dark creatures."

At this, Barin thumped the table for emphasis, harumphed and sat back on his stool.

spacer.png’Of this city that you speak of I know nothing.’ said Hrothgar to Dahr-Ol plainly. ’But I doubt that Viglund wants a treaty. He is a stubborn old fool, and he would sooner lead his people to ruin and death than to side with us. So strong is his hatred for Beorn. I fear that his purpose is entirely different. You see, there are those who live between the lands of Beorn and Viglund, and others yet; many have not pledged for one or the other, fearing that joining us would incur the wrath of the Viglundings. A reasonable fear for those who dwell to the North, near his great hall. I cannot say I blame them. They are not united, but our folk call them the free cottars, and their numbers combined are not negligible.

Then there are others who, driven by greed, would flock to his banner: sell-swords, cut-throats, adventurers: hard men with little to lose, eager to jump on an opportunity such as this. If you do not believe that there are many, recall simply the bandit – king, Valter, and how great a host he was able to amass. Sadly, the race of Men is far from united, even though the victory against the orcs and the wargs is fresh.’

spacer.pngIt was the spear-maiden, Ennalda, the Thane of war, that spoke next, interrupting the flow of conversation so that she could remark in a frustrated, almost angry tone. ’Viglund is a fool if he believes he can stand against Beorn. Beorn, who slew Bolg son of Azog at the Battle of the Five Armies. But Beorn is but one man, and even he cannot be at all places at all times. We have Thanes and we have warriors, it is true, but most of our folk are farmers and bee-keepers, not seasoned soldiers. Against mail-clad mercenaries bearing ancient dwarf-swords, even our folk would be hard pressed.’

Hrothgar now spoke again, turning to Barin to better explain the customs and practices of the Viglundings. ’Nay,’ he said, ’despite his faults, Viglund is no friend to the orcs, no more than Beorn is. But where we seek to grant them a swift death wherever we see them, Viglund is of a different sort: he hunts them for sport, and when he can, he seeks to enslave them, and put them in chains, and have them till his fields until they can no longer endure the bright sun, and die from starvation, exhaustion and exposure. It is a cruel, vile custom: and so though he is indeed a hater of goblin-kind, he is, in his way, orc-like, and deals with orcs as orcs would deal with you.’ He shook his head in disgust, leaving no doubts as to what he felt of this practice.

spacer.png"Then Beorn requires a show of strength, a peaceful reminder that Viglund is not the only master who can protect his people. Not for Viglund's sake but for the free cottars.

I am willing to meet this Viglund. Should we fear treachery on his part? Valtar was cut from the same cloth and you know what I saw with my own eyes during that final battle. It was foul sorcery."

The mention of sorcery made the Thanes fall silent for a while. The air felt heavy in the common room, and the feeling lingered for a few moments, but at last Grimbold broke the silence.

spacer.png'Whatever you do, I would counsel caution. Viglund's rule is legitimate, and this we must respect, lest tensions escalate beyond the point where things can be resolved with words and not swords. I would not expect treachery from him - not if he knows what is good for himself and his people. Not unless his new riches have driven him to dragon-sickness, and turned his ambition to madness. But of this, I cannot say anything more.

But heed this also: Viglund may not admit it, but he is afraid. Afraid that his slaves will rise against him and earn back their freedom with blood. That is why he must reign with an iron fist, and will not tolerate the slightest hint of weakness. An orc in chains is still an orc, and orcs are dangerous, even as thralls. Especially as thralls. To say nothing of the Hill-folk he has captured, who are desperate folk, with powers of dark sorcery of old, and fast friends to the orcs of the mountains. But of these hillfolk you know more than me, Dahr-Ol, so I need say nothing more.

Be wary of his fear. For fear makes a dangerous master.'

[OOC: Think of Viglund's folk as a combination of Anglo-Saxon and Spartan culture. Very martial, and very reliant on slaves. The Spartans were constantly terrified of a slave revolt, and that guided a lot of their (often isolationist) politics and views of others.]

spacer.pngDahr-Ol nodded at his Thane's words, they were wise indeed.

"Fear drove my father to betray the hill people. Fear and Love. Powerful emotions that can provoke deeds of infamy or of greatness. I will walk carefully. Viglund has the honest right of rule you say? Then he will be afforded the courtesy due him.

I wonder what is the worse... Orcs who seek our flesh, hill men who seek our destruction, or to see men willingly practice slavery over those same enemies? It grows in my mind that such a practice is a threat to us. Should they ever break their chains it would be an angry horde that descended upon us soon after."

spacer.pngBarin nodded sagely whilst the conversation carried on around him.

At Dahr-Ol's final comment he looked up and stated matter-of-factly "Whether this man's rule is legitimate or not, practicing evil upon evil creatures does neither make it good or right. As my Grandsire said to me when I was but a young Dwarf, the only good Orc is a dead Orc, and I have seen no reason to suggest anything to the contrary on all of my travels.

"Keeping these creatures as thralls and chattels is no better than consorting with them as an ally, and will ultimately serve no good purpose.

"Still, if a subtle investigation is what is required to gauge the lay of the land, I can go along with that as an initial goal. It still fits with my King's mission for me to see what the extent of the Orc incursions in the north are, and to get a feel for their strength. This Viglund may be useful for that end at least."

spacer.pngAs the conversation revealed more and more about Viglund and his people, Celebros found himself fighting with feelings of revulsion. The man was riddled with flaws, and worse yet, he was in a position of power that threatened to destabilize a region due to foul practices.

Others among them were already voicing their willingness to get involved. Celebros was not so forthcoming with his own thoughts or agreement, though he was prudent enough to realize that fragmented peoples would simply not stand against the growing power of the northern orcs. Whatever threats that were not dealt with by men and dwarves would inevitably become the more immediate problems of for the elves. His involvement would only be a boon, while he could also explore places unseen outside the forests of his home.

"I will do what I can to aid Barin and Dahr-Ol. Treading lightly, as it were, to test Viglund and his kin. Much of my concern does lie with the presence of orcs in the region," he said at last, speaking in a calm, even tone. He slowly looked at the various faces gathered around the table. "But, men who indulge in dark practices may also be no better than Yrch. I will have to see for myself before I can say any more on the subject."

spacer.pngNori finally speaks up from the back once the Thanes have shared the information they've been willing to impart so far and the others seem tacitly agreed to go as emissaries. "And we're to just go and listen and watch?" he asks bluntly from his seat against the wall behind the Thanes. "We may have earned some respect, but surely he'll be insulted that direct representatives from Beorn are not there... decision-makers and the like," Nori goes on to explain, showing a bit where his mind is at. "I don't mind going, in fact I'd rather enjoy it, but it may drive him to be too cautious around us... and treat us like spies," he adds before leaning forward and adding with some emphasis, "... which we are."

spacer.png"I agree with Nori, the lack of Thanes could very well insult him and buy us some trouble.

But, it might also leave Beorn in a stronger position if we keep our wits. If the other representatives present perceive that Beorn is not concerned enough to send a Thane, and if we in turn do not rise to Viglund's provocations, then Beorn is clearly not afraid of Viglund or his new found treasures. That might just be the message Beorn wants to send."

The Thanes listened at the companions as they voiced their thoughts, and Grimbold in particular nodded silently, as if in agreement, as various issues and concerns were raised. If there was anyone to show any signs of irritation, however slight, it was the spear-maiden, Ennalda, but she kept her silence, and let her fellow Thanes do all the talking.

spacer.png’Spies...’ said Grimbold, following Dahr-Ol’s comments, stroking his beard as if one thinking. ’I would hope that he would afford you the courtesy that all guests should receive, by the ancient custom of hospitality, but this is possible. Certainly, the Viglundings will show you only what Viglund wants you to see, but of their strange practices they are not ashamed: On the contrary, they are proud to keep orcs and Hillfolk as thralls, for they deem it a sign of dominion over their foul kind.’ He sighed and shook his head before continuing.

’But the invitation was not made to Beorn or even his Thanes in particular, and thus I do not believe you would be breaking any custom, unlikely though your group may be in its composition. Indeed, it is possible that other folk from distant lands may be attending the gathering, though the snows of winter will no doubt deter many.

Still, this is a matter we have already considered, but we are yet to reach a decision. Perhaps you can help us in that regard… Hrothgar, do you wish to speak?’

spacer.pngGiven now Grimbold’s attention, his fellow thane continued, offering his own counsel as he saw fit. ’You may not need additional authority to justify your presence.’ he said plainly, and went on to explain. ’If Idunn, the woods-woman, is to come with you, then that may be enough. For she is the cousin to Thane Merovech, my predecessor, and Merovech was as close a friend to Guthred, Viglund’s thane, as any Beorning ever was. Which is not much, perhaps, but it is not nothing either.’ This he added more for Barin and Celebros’ benefit, for he expected the others to know it already. After a while he added, somewhat apologetically: ’I do not wish to make you the bearers of ill tidings, but surely Guthred would understand what the news of Merovech’s death will mean for the relationship between our two peoples. Nothing good.’ He fell silent for a while, allowing the significance of the words to sink in, so that all gathered around the table would understand, before speaking again.

’Still, I will come with you, if you wish me to. For it is to me to continue the good work of Thane Merovech. But perhaps Viglund will be friendlier if none of Beorn’s thanes are present. Or perhaps he will be offended. This I cannot say, for I know neither his mind nor his intent.

If you wish to do this alone, then we will hereby declare Dahr-Ol of Stonyford the sole representative of our folk. Lord Beorn thinks of you well, Dahr-Ol, for your deeds and your valour, and I am certain that he would approve of it. But the decision is ultimately yours to make.’

OOC

You need to decide if you want to bring Hrothgar, the new Thane of judgement, with you, or go without him. While the final decision can be reached collectively, it is ultimately up to Dahr-Ol to decide if he wishes to accept this new responsibility / honour – so essentially Dahr-Ol has veto powers in whatever everyone else thinks.

If the mission goes well, it is very likely that Dahr-Ol will see his standing permanently increased (prob. by one or two points). If it is a catastrophic failure, it is possible that he will suffer a decrease, though it will not go into negatives (i.e. 0 is still the lowest standing he can have).

Annungil laced his fingers together as he listened to the others speak. The fragile politics of the Northmen was something he still struggled at times to comprehend. He knew of oaths of fealty given and received, layers of them, over generations. But this all seemed quite fragile and temporary.

Yet the words were ill. For Gondor knew much of the ways of wicked men, away to the South and the East, who treated others with the cruelty and hatred to rival any orc. It was worse, for it was not in the nature of Men to treat others in such a way, and it showed they had been twisted and corrupted by the Enemy.

"Legitimate his rule may be," Annungil said, slowly considering his words, "The actions of him and his people make it so that I can view him only as a danger and an enemy, not just to my people, but all Free People, for with what I hear, it is clear he has abandoned all the ancient laws and customs, and indeed, were he to live closer to my people, we would consider him an enemy, gone over to the Shadow, perhaps more than any tales tell of the Easterlings or the men of Harad, for I have heard nought that they keep orcs as slaves for themselves. Of such a thing I think I have never heard spoken."

Annungil grew silent for a moment, his face clouded, before looking up. "But I will go and speak for the people of Gondor. I fear he will give little heed to Minas Tirith, so far away to the South, unless he too is driven to conquer, and wished to push south along the entire length of the Anduin and through Rohan. But perhaps it is pride that would be soothed, to have an emissary of Minas Tirith treat with him."

He shook his head, laughing slightly, before looking to the others. "In this, perhaps, all courses will run ill, for what can one judge of a man and people proud of cruelty and conquest? I think no harm can come from having a larger party, and may serve against some mischance or those who give no note to the laws of hospitality."