Year 2949-50: Sentinel of the North

Vladim

spacer.pngWatching the thane intently as he speaks, Nori gives Hrothgar's assessment serious consideration, sitting there silently and staring at the man with narrowed eyes. After a few seconds, he glances towards Dahr-Ol as if considering the Beorning and what he knows of him for a moment, before returning his focus to Hrothgar. Giving the man a singular, firm nod of the head, the dwarf responds, "I can't speak for the others, but what you say makes sense... If he wishes such responsibility, I think it best he represents Lord Beorn. And I can think of no better representative for the late thane than his cousin." He draws in a quick breath and swallows it down, as if suppressing something from coming up before continuing on. "I, of course, cannot represent my people, but as you say, he might react differently with the eyes of other races upon him. The riches of Erebor are vast and could certainly sway someone looking for an ally... or at least not seeking to make an enemy."

spacer.pngBarin watched and listened intently to the conversation. Whilst he did not know these people, it seemed they had the trust of the Thanes, and the situation they were being asked to investigate did align somewhat with the mission he had been tasked with by King Dain.

So, when the other Dwarf - Nori wasn't it? - mentioned being unable to represent his people, Barin jumped in with both booted feet,

"Aye, whilst you may be unable to officially represent Dwarvenkind, I may be able to fill that role. I am here as a representative of King Dain, so you could say I have a mandate - tenuous though the link may be.

"Whatever else you may ask of us in investigating this Viglund, this mission fits with my official duties in determining the strength and spread of the Orcs in these regions, so I, and my apprentice will gladly travel with you."

spacer.pngDahr-Ol put a hand on Annungil's shoulder as his friends finished speaking.

"Hrothgar, I think we should leave the Thanes free to attend their duties within our lands. The Thanes represent peace and stability. Our people have had too little of late. Let us handle this errand on your behalf.

With companions such as my old friend Annungil, these stout dwarves, and Celebros we can send Viglund the appropriate message. The free peoples united neither fear nor hate Viglund, and are not overawed by his new found wealth.

Idunn, are you willing to accompany us?"

The Thanes nodded in agreement, and no more was needed for them to reach their decision. Dahr-Ol, then, would act as a representative of the folk of Beorn, even though he was no Thane himself. Idunn nodded in agreement at Dahr-Ol's question: she would join him and lend whatever aid she could. Hrothgar would take these news to the Bear-lord himself, while the rest of the companions would take on the roles of ambassadors and emissaries of their own folk: Dwarves, Elves and the various factions of Men North and South of the Long Lake.

In their remaining time together, the Thanes tried to answer to any questions the companions still had, and spoke of the customs and history of the folk of Viglund, to better prepare them for what lay ahead, and gave counsel and guidance with regards to the journey North.

[OOC: If there are any outstanding questions, feel free to point them out briefly, and I will provide a summary of the Thanes’ answers.]

On that very evening, preparations were already underway for the departure, which was set to be on the morrow. Agatha cooked a hearty stew, taking pride in her hobbitish craft, and fed everyone twice or thrice their usual portions, insisting on the matter. For she knew well that this would be most likely the last decent meal that they would be having; the weather was cold, and game was scarce in winter, and so they would have to rely on their supplies only whilst on the road.

As for supplies, she provisioned them as best she could, although it would have been impossible for them to carry all that she wished them to take. If they had given in to her insistence, then they would be greatly burdened for the journey. Meanwhile, Dody and Dindy spoke of all that they knew about the north, and about Viglund’s people, and the former tried constantly to lift their spirits by sharing hobbit marching-songs and other poetry, hoping that such things would be useful to maintaining their morale whilst travelling. Only the dwarf, Frier, looked on grimly and silently, speaking not a word.

That night they slept well, with bellies full of food and drink, around the warm fireplace, with the companionship of the hobbit masters and their pets. No nightmares haunted their sleep, which was deep and refreshing.

As they made ready their departure on the following morning, the gruff dwarf finally broke his silence, and offered a song of his own, sang with a deep, solemn voice:

spacer.png’Grim was the world and grey last night:
The moon and stars were fled,
The hall was dark, no song or light,
The fires were fallen dead.
The wind in trees was like to sea,
And over mountains’ teeth
It whistled bitter-cold and free,
As sword leapt from its sheath.

The lord of snows upreared his head;
His mantle long and pale
Upon the bitter blast was spread
And hung o’er hill and dale.
The world was blind,
the boughs were bent,
All ways and paths were wild:
About the sky thick snow-clouds went,
The ground with black frost tiled.’

spacer.pngHe would have sung more indeed, had Dody not interrupted him with an accusatory glance and an annoyed protestation. ’Can you not think of something more cheery?’ he said grouchily. ’They are not travelling to attend some funeral, and they are still our guests, and deserve better treatment!’

spacer.pngThe dwarf shrugged, seemingly dismissing the hobbit’s irritation, but he halted his song. Instead, as if in some kind of rebuttal, he offered a poem.

’When winter first begins to bite
and stones crack in the frosty night,
when pools are black and trees are bare,
'tis evil in the Wild to fare.’

’No use in trying to change the mind of a stubborn old dwarf!’ huffed Dody quietly, but he had nothing else to say but bid the travellers farewell, and wish them a swift return and to offer the promise of a cosy corner by the fire at the Easterly Inn when they would return again.

The company soon set out in the cold. After a while, the light snowfall obscured their silhouettes, and they were as invisible to the hobbits at the inn.

--- End of Chapter 1 ---

OOC

The first poem is shamelessly stolen and 'mutated' from Tolkien's non-Middle Earth writings. The second you can probably recognize. Please give me a day or two and I will add some mechanics / rules on how to start the journey, but if you want to post some RP before that, go ahead!

spacer.png

Mechanics
  • For the journey from the Easterly Inn to Viglund's House, each companion is allowed a preliminary Lore check (TN 14). Success grants 1 bonus die (d6) to be used during the journey for any roll, including Fatigue (Travel) checks (see below). Great / Extraordinary success grants 2 / 3 bonus dice respectively.
  • Then, every PC should make two Fatigue (Travel) checks at TN 14 for the journey. Each failure grants 3 fatigue points. Bonus dice from the preliminary Lore checks can be used, and freely shared amongst the companions (representing PCs helping each other), but only one bonus die can be used per roll.
  • The journey will take 5 days and the companions will travel for 60 miles by foot along the western eaves of Mirkwood.
  • Because we have 8 PCs, I think things will run more smoothly if we split them into two sub-fellowships of 4 PCs each. Please assign yourselves as you see fit, considering the following points. I will use Idunn to plug any open roles not covered by everyone.
  • Each sub-fellowship should have one Guide (relies on Travel), Scout (Explore), Look-out (Awareness) and Huntsman (Hunting). Please coordinate and select one role per PC. Choices will not change for the rest of the adventure.
  • If you want to assign any other PC as a fellowship focus, please do so now. The choice cannot change for the rest of the adventure. Your fellowship focus does not have to be from the same sub-fellowship. If you are unclear about the fellowship focus rules, feel free to ask at Discord!

Optional Mechanics

The following are optional, but they must be chosen before making a roll:

• You may increase the TN of any roll by +2. In exchange, I'll give you a Destiny point.
  • You may voluntarily take extra fatigue. Each point of extra fatigue (to a max of 3) yields Destiny points on a 1-per-1 basis.
  • You may voluntarily make your character Weary for this chapter and the next. This yields 6 Destiny points.

Destiny points are explained in one of the spoilers of the first post of this thread.

Once all rolls have been made, I will continue with the narrative, but feel free to also narrate the beginning of the journey from your character's prespective, if you so wish.

spacer.pngChapter 2: Due North

"A cold coming they had of it at this time of the year, just the worst time of the year to take a journey, and specially a long journey. The ways deep, the weather sharp, the days short, the sun farthest off, in solsitio brumali, the very dead of winter."

Lancelot Andrewes, Ninety-Six Sermons by the Right Honourable and Reverend Father in God

spacer.png

(But with more snow)

Chapter 2: Due North
Scene 1: A folk with no master

For two days and one night the companions travelled along the eastern banks of the Anduin. They had made good progress on the first day, despite the heavy snow that was their sole constant companion. On that first night, they had encamped along the river, in a sheltered place that the company’s scouts had found.

On the second day, the bitter, icy winds from the north picked up, impeding their journey, making every moment that was spent at the open gruelling. It had not stopped snowing, despite the winds, and the snow coated all rocks with slippery ice, turning them into dangerous footing. These conditions persisted throughout the day. Despite the harsh weather, though, the guides knew that travelling along the river-banks was preferable to journeying along the eaves of Mirkwood and drawing the attention of its dangerous inhabitants. For though the Forest Gate lay near the Easterly Inn, and was protected by Thranduil’s sentinels – unseen to all but the keen-eyed elves – this protection did not extend far; to the north, things at the forest’s eaves were as wild as in its heart, or so the tales of the Beornings told.

Still, Celebros spoke of the Elfwood, the thinly wooded land around the Forest Gate. It was not part of Mirkwood, and it was loved by his folk in years gone by, when their might was greater and their worries fewer. There they came to feast and make merry, and some amongst them – the boldest, or perhaps, those most wild – even left its protected canopy to walk down to the great river and speak to the rushing waters. But all of this was a long time ago – generations by the reckoning of Men, though to all but the youngest of the firstborn the memory was still fresh – and today the small copse served only as a border between the Beornings and the Viglundings. Men dared not enter it, except perhaps those most foolish, or those most fascinated by the fair folk, for they were superstitious, and they feared the elf-magic that still lingered in the place. But Celebros maintained that the magic of his folk was different from the sorcery of the Necromancer, and that no evil ever dared set foot there, and so the Elfwood was safe: besides, he longed to see it with his own eyes. At length he convinced his companions, or at least most of them, and so it was determined that they should make a stop there and rest.

But this was now at least a day away: Presently, their eyes fell on a small, but fortified cottage that lay not far from the banks of the river. It was the first settlement that they had encountered since leaving the Easterly Inn. The Thanes had told them of the free cottars that lived here, on the edge of Beorn’s lands, their humble holdings dotting the border between the two rival folk that lived in these lands: the Beornings and the Viglundings. Smoke rose from a chimney, and its pungent smell reached the noses of the companions from afar, carried by the winter winds. Enticed by the possible promise of a roof over their heads, a comfortable spot by the fireplace and a bowl of warm food, the company now approached the small homestead, hoping that hospitable folk dwelled here…

spacer.pngBarin was becoming more and more miserable by the day. He was cold, persistently tired, wet and to top it all off, he reminded himself, he was cold. Damn cold.

He'd dream at night of spending hours by a roaring, open fire. Smoking a pipe and supping ale. This did nothing to help improve his mood during the days. It just served to make him more, and more miserable.

Listening to Celebros opining about the Elfwood helped to lift his spirits somewhat. Tales of happier, more pleasant and warmer times, but he'd soon lapse back into his funk, concentrating on putting one foot ahead of the other. It was a mistake, he knew, to have agreed to come travel north during this part of the year, but that couldn't really be avoided given the situation.

Thus, when the companions espied the column of smoke rising from the cottage in the distance, he turned to his companions and said with no hesitation, "I don't care one whit if they're friendly or not. They have a fire, they have shelter, and by Durin's beard, I'll bet they have pipe-weed, ale and a store of food. That is where we should be spending the night tonight - not outside in this freezing waste."

spacer.pngArriving behind Barin, just soon enough to hear him remark on the cottage in the distance, Nori pauses alongside the dwarf and narrows his eyes as he studies the compound. It's unique to see a homestead fortified such as this one, but being out in the middle of nowhere and with no allegiance to or protection from a liege, it isn't to be unexpected. Turning at the waist from side to side, keeping his body moving in the frigid cold, Barin can tell his compatriot is eager for warmth and comfort as well, but Nori seems cautiously optimistic about his cousin's remarks. "There's no harm in asking, but I wouldn't expect more than a warm fire," the dwarf from Erebor says. "Out here, they probably don't have much to share. But I agree... warming our bones would be a nice change of pace. And we might hear more about these peoples' impressions of the Viglundings as well as what has been happening in the area."

spacer.pngGramtyng had kept his silence for a long time - the end of the last adventure had given him a good deal to think out; between Valter's possible identity, the foul sorcery that kept him alive which Dahr-Ol spoke of, and that ...thing Beorn showed them... And of course, there was that 'branded' dagger that Cheek used. For now, it was meaningless and groundless suspicions, but he knew his own ill luck well enough to see the shadow of Harrowdale even here. It never left any of its sons, after all. His mood had been a dark one and he did not participate in conversation between the companions for a long time, content to eat his meal in silence. Warmed up by the soup, he finally decided to try and get some rest, but was unable to sleep for a long time.

When he did... his dream had been a dark one. A golden hall, that reminded him of the one he left, a king who took poison willingly... at first he assumed it was some manner of vision or his desire given shape - for the mad king to pass on, but when the crown rolled to his feet... He knew that this was wrong. The song had been even more out of place and, awakening with a start, he hurried wrote down what he could recall, eyes gleaming feverishly. Such a composition simply couldnt be his mind playing tricks. His companions seemed to agree. The bard had no idea what city this song spoke of - but he HAD been sent to find all lore related to his people's civilization here, before they migrated to Rohan. It was possible this was the same city - after all, it was supposed to be somewhere up north... But he found he was hazy on the details.

During the talk with the Beorning Thanes, Gramtyng found his mind occupied with the song and the ruins, and when conversation turned to them, he found it too impolite to intrude. They seemed to be asking them to undertake a job to represent Beorn - somewhat - in the Viglunding camp. A job as a spy isnt something he relished, but... The Viglundings were a major force in the area, would have knowledge of the North, and beyond that - perhaps something could be done to reconcile the two people. Besides, as Darh-Ol noted, that wealth might have come from that Northern city... And that had its own repercussions. The people of the Mark may not look kindly on it, but worse - some of that should be dwarven treasure(if the legend had any truth to it), and that had a much worse possibility...

The trek up north gave him a lot of time to think on how best to approach the last riddle their adventure threw at them - so while he was cold, and unpleasant, he was still surrouneded by companions new and old, and had time to sort out his thoughts. The best chance right now would be Old Mab, the bard thought - Radagast was much too far south, while the old woman's house was only a bit out of the way. True, however, it would be a bit of a detour, but... the Thane would likely understand - he saw that thing as well, and his companions... Well, it would be good to ask them their thoughts.

"There's no harm in asking." Voiced his view Gramtyng. "But I've also wanted to put forward a suggestion to... alter our course a bit. Given what we've seen on the Carrock and from Valter... I think it would be wise to speak to Old Mab. He house is on the other side of the river, and its not too much out of our way - but I wanted to ask all of you, as well. I truly think she would be able to offer us some good advice on that - and maybe about that strange dream and poem, too?"

spacer.pngIdunn considered Gramtyng’s words for a moment and then turned to the fellowship and spoke, pointing out what must have been obvious to all, but especially the company’s guides: ’Yule is fast approaching. I am certain that the celebrations have already begun at Viglund’s house, and it would be strange to arrive too late, given our task. But perhaps Gramtyng is right. I cannot think of anyone else that could give us good counsel in these lands but her.’ she said, meaning old Mab, whom several of the company had already encountered, or heard of. ’But we cannot ford the river here, nor for many miles yet. Such a diversion would add many days to our journey.’

OOC / Mechanics

I am just using her to info-dump a little, but basically, she is wrong: even if you could reach the North Ford, it cannot be crossed at this time of year. The fellowship’s guides (Barin, Celebros) as well as anyone with Travel 3 or greater should know this.

Old Mab’s house is actually not far, but it lies on the opposite side of the river. The only option for crossing it here, and doing it in a reasonable time, is using boats or rafts. To build rafts, I’d probably need some rolls from the Scouts to find good timber (as the shores of the Anduin are thinly wooded); then, rolls of Craft for making the rafts and finally Athletics for crossing.

Edited: Perhaps Look-outs can also help by identifying a good place to cross.

This may add more days to the journey, depending on how long it takes to accumulate successes. Crossing the river may be in itself a dangerous endeavour, as the river is ice-cold at this time of year, and in places the waters are fast-flowing and treacherous. Securing boats (if you can find them) may be somewhat less risky, and faster.

Once on the other side, the journey to Mab’s house is a relatively short one: just 20 miles over moderate terrain. It will take 3 days and another Fatigue check (at TN 16) to do the ‘there and back again’. Once back, of course, you will need to re-cross the river. More days will be added if you stay at Mab’s for a night or two.

All of this can also be discussed in the farmstead you found, by the fire, provided you are granted hospitality.

[OOC: Just pushing the narrative forward to avoid decision paralysis and stagnation, and to keep things moving.]

Deciding not to wait in the cold, the companions resolved to try their luck with the farmstead. The promise of a good night's rest was far too tempting to turn down easily; and besides, they had little to lose here. And so they approached the walls of the fortified holding, where they were forced to wait for several minutes, despite loudly knocking on the wooden door several times. Had the residents been hoping that the company would simply leave them alone and continue on their journey?

spacer.pngAt length, however, their stubborn insistence paid off: A short, broad-shouldered woman of robust build, likely in her middle age, emerged from behind the door, and looked at each of the companions quizzically, taking her time to observe them all from head to toe. She carried a heavy long-spear that rested on her shoulder, its sharp blade pointing towards the sky, and she wore armour of leather. 'Just who might you be, then?' she asked them bluntly, quickly adding a few more choice words to her cold reception, that rivalled the winter weather:

'Dwarves, elves and other strangers? Never before have such queer folk visited my farmstead. Have you lost your way? You are well-armed, but even raiders are not foolish enough to travel at this time of year. Even orcs lie hiding in their caves! Are you friend or foe?'

As if on cue, three young men - boys more than men, in fact - and a girl rose promptly from behind the wall, with strung shortbows in hand and quivers on their belts. Their bowstrings remained undrawn, and though they did not look like warriors at all, determined expressions were on their faces.

OOC / Mechanics

This is not an Encounter (the game's term for structured social interaction) but feel free to make appropriate introductions and rolls. I will also use the RP you provide (i.e. both your words and actions) to determine how this woman reacts, and the RP may result in adjusting (lowering or increasing) the TNs for social skill rolls, or even granting auto-successes or auto-failures. You don't have to roll if you don't want to either, but this is a decent opportunity to gain APs.

A successful roll of Riddle (TN 14) will reveal that the boys and the girl with the bows look like they are related to the woman - most likely her own children. A successful roll of Insight (TN 14) will reveal that they are somewhat concerned by the appearance of the well-armed companions at this unexpected time, but not afraid and determined to stand their ground.

spacer.pngDahr-Ol moved his hands slowly up, palms open and empty for the woman to see.

"No one threatens you or yours good woman. We are representatives of Beorn himself. We were travelling north to speak with Viglund and his people. But the deep snows and bitter cold have worn us down more than we imagined. We ask only for a night's warmth. I am willing to chop wood, or any other labor you see fit to repay any hospitality you might show us."

spacer.pngAt the woman's obviously suspicious nature, Barin lifted his hands, palm outwards in a gesture attempting to be non-threatening.

"My good woman" he began, "as my friend here says, we are representatives of the combined kingdoms of Men, Elves and Dwarves.

"We've been trudging through this wilderness now for days, and are cold, wet and tired. We seek only to impose on your hospitality for this night that we may shelter from this dire weather and hopefully glean some information from yourself as to what we likely face as we continue our journey into the wilderness.

"We can labour, for you - I am a skilled stonemason, so could help with any work you need around your steading in repayment?"

Try as he might to appeal to the woman, the look on her face said he hadn't quite gotten to her through he suspicious demeanour. Maybe, he thought to himself, she just doesn't like dwarves. Wouldn't be the first time he'd seen that.

spacer.pngpon hearing two of the companions speak, the woman raised a skeptical eyebrow. 'So lord Beorn takes an interest in our affairs at last?' she said, and despite the mild disapproval evident in her tone, her comment was quickly followed by a simple gesture to the children to stand down, which they obeyed immediately, relaxing their stance. 'Well, better late than never.' she added, and let her spear lean against the sturdy stone wall of the farmstead, before introducing herself.

'I am Heva, and this farmstead that you have chanced upon is my home, Hrothulf's holding, named after my husband, who is away to attend important matters. You will forgive me for my discourtesy, but it is rare that we see visitors here, and rarer still to see them in the months of winter. But give me your names, and your weapons, which will be kept in my care, and returned to you as soon as you leave, and we can all go inside and sit by the fire. I ask for no repayment, but while you are here you must abide by my rules. Otherwise, you may sleep under the sky tonight.'

OOC / Mechanics

Right, I am not trying to screw you here with having Heva request that you leave your weapons in her care, but I just want to highlight the wariness of these people. If you want, you may attempt a social roll (e.g. Persuade, Awe or anything else that you think may fit) to convince Heva that you pose no danger, or are super-important (e.g. swear an oath that you mean no harm, or invoke Beorn's authority, or any other argument). This will allow you to keep your weapons. The TN for such rolls is 14, and may be reduced somewhat with appropriate RP.

If you accept to follow her, feel free to set the scene: it's a humble abode, but there is a fire, and your PCs can warm their bones and remove their heavier equipment and start resting while interacting (e.g. discussing amongst themselves or asking Heva questions). Essentially, feel free to go for these things instead of waiting for me to set the scene.

I will let you discuss in-character if you prefer to continue on your journey to Viglund's House, or take the diversion to Mab the spinner's house. Both options have their pros and cons. Old Mab is... well... very old (some of the PCs know her) and may provide some answers, esp. regarding the dreams and maybe Viglund and the region. But going there will add days to your journey (about 3 or 4). On the other hand, heading straight to Viglund's House may allow you to recover from your journey somewhat (i.e. reduce your Travel Fatigue), if you secure a safe place to rest there. Additionally, if you are too late (e.g. past Yule), Viglund may be offended.

If I feel like we may have a decision paralysis problem, I may set up a doodle again