Out of Character Chat

Powderhorn

There's a lot going on here. We can probably move through some of this conversation more expediently OOCly but we should summarize our conclusions ICly when we're done.

Okay, here are some of the known unknowns and the unknown unknowns:

1) Whether this guy is telling the truth. I was hoping Xan could give us some insight but unfortunately she's out of the relevant Effort until the morning.

2) If there is a big bandit camp, how will they react? Would they look for revenge, or for easier prey?

3) Whether the Bandit Leader we killed was the big boss or just the lieutenant. Did we chop the head off the snake? There could still be a Bandit Captain out there.

I think staying put is the right call. We'll be significantly outnumbered if we attack the bandit camp. Plus, as Bobcloclimar points out, it would require us to abandon our guard duty. Our tight defensive formation with the wagons that allowed us to control chokepoints is what put us in a good position to survive the first attack. If we're going to be attacked again, I don't think it makes sense to abandon that position and the advantages it provides.

I don't want to be attacked by two dozen bandits, but if they're anything like the first dozen then we'll have the advantage of arms and armor, in the sense that we can consistently avoid Shock while simultaneously being able to consistently apply Shock. The ranged element is still a concern, but we have an ace up our sleeve with Eabha, who can help us stay on our feet.

Edited by Tecumseh
typo (see edit history)

In agreement re: staying put for all of the reasons stated above.

We'll have to trust the answers provided by our honoured guest until he's proven to be duplicitous or day breaks, whichever comes first. However, it is still worth asking him about point 2 & 3.

We could put the odds in our favour regarding the bandits taking revenge, by treating the bodies of their peers with a modicum of respect (e.g., arranging them under tarps) if we think that they might care. There is also the option of placing traps along the section of deer path nearest our camp.

I'm not expecting them to be worth much. The clubs have no value. If we had retrieved swords or daggers then maybe Otto could do something with the metal (like fuse them into a throne...) but right now they're mostly good for firewood.

As for the current situation, a couple questions:

- What's the terrain like? Do we have good visibility or are we walking through the woods?

- Can we see how the human and the gnome are dressed? For example, are they dressed like merchants, or are they wearing armor, etc.

Fallow fields on either side of the road, well-overgrown. Impossible to tell - you can see them from behind, and they have their evening cloaks. Good visibility though.

I don't see a reason to engage with them at the moment, but Toktok should casually interpose himself between the wagons and the pair, but not take any overt hostile actions.

Well it sounds like they're in the middle of the road, so I think we'll be forced to engage with them if we want to proceed.

We don't have to overthink this. We could just call out to draw their attention.

Eabha and Xan might be able to offer some insight with their respective Arts as well.