Chapter 2: The Leave-Taking

Brian Skies

Ayo accepts Lola's hand with a smile. "We're going on an adventure. We figured we could start with Bazzoxan." Her face begins to light up with enthusiasm, eager to share their story. "As for the Gloomstalker...it was quite the shock when it came upon us, flying right over our heads as we were traveling down the road. Dermot skillfully kept it from reaching our horses with his steering, but we hit a rough patch on the road. That's when disaster struck. Irvan flew over the side of the cart. He was scrambling off into the wastes when the Gloomstalker noticed him and turned around. I tried to slow it down with my arrows, but it was quite difficult to hit, especially with the both of us traveling in completely opposite directions. Irvan was barely fending the beast off when Dermot got the cart turned around, and luckily, we caught up before it could do any serious damage. Galsariad brought the creature to the ground with some gravity magic. Dermot hit it with some sacred fire. And Maggie finished it off with her maul. It was a shocking experience for the lot of us, but thankfully, we all made it out of there alive. Sadly, Irvan says he lost a ring in the fight. He didn't notice until just recently, and is currently moping about it in the wagon now."

Vir joins Galsariad on watch. "Yes, that is me," he responds. "It is a pleasure to meet you, Vir. Are you not going to join the others? Or have you come to join me on watch?"

Vir Corath                                                  nGssawp.png

AC: checked-shield.svg19  | health-normal.svg HP: 34/34 | Initiative: +2 | sprint.svg Passive Perception: 12 (darkvision)

With a burst of magic, Vir's familiar appeared at their shoulder. The tawny owl hooted once, and then took to the air, flying in slow and lazy circles about the camp.

"Extra set of eyes will do us a world of good, been a dangerous road, and likely to get more so still."

They said, settling down to polish their crossbow and inspect bolts.

"How long have you been with this crew?"

Idle chatter until they had a chance to find out why the Princess was so cautious.

xHkGiIe.png.94d2c8cc656fdc5daafad700c0ef51f0.png Umar - Character Sheet | Application

checked-shield.svgAC: 19 | health-normal.svg HP: 31/31 | awareness.svg PP: 15 | Channel Divinity 1/1 | Spells: I - 4/4 II - 3/3

Patting his belt pouch he felt the ring, Malkor had given it to him as the little Tortle had sort of become the default treasure keeper after he'd found that chest in the flipped wagon. "The light guides us in mysterious ways..." He stated, as he finished packing up his chess set and slowly plodded over the wagon and knocked on it.

"What has no beginning and no end, yet can be given to a friend?

Some are for family, some for guild, some are found near a gloomstalker that you killed?"

Galsariad allows himself to relax a little as the owl is sent overhead. "We found each other about two weeks ago. Although I'm the newest member, they don't seem to treat me as such. In fact, aside from Dermot and Ayo, I believe most of us have just met. What about you? I don't remember seeing you during the festival. How long have you been traveling with the others?"

Umar knocks on his hosts' wagon, and after a few moments, a scrawny miserable human appears. His eyes are sullen and his slightly long hair has been tussled into a mess. He seems to take a long hard look at the tortle. With lifeless eyes and a confused, low, monotone voice, he asks, "Yes, can I help you?"

Lola (Drow Echo Knight)spacer.png

AC: 16 | HP: 47/47 | Initiative: +2 | Passive Perception: 14 | Features

Lola spends her time with Ayo and Dermot, getting to know her former competitors. She keeps it friendly, but also keeps her guard up. They were underhanded in the competition, so she assumes they might be here too. But she also thinks allies might be helpful.

"So Ayo, Dermot. We didn't have time to get to know each other during the competition. Tell me your stories. How did the two of you become friends?"

She keeps an eye on Umar, but lets him go as he wanders over to the wagon, presumably to give the ring back to Irvan. She is impressed with his integrity. She has become very fond of the tortle and is glad they met during the festival.

Mechanics

Main Hand: Empty
Off Hand: Empty

Action: Your action goes here.
Bonus Action: Your bonus action goes here.
Move: Your movement goes here.
Manipulate: Your one free object interaction goes here.

Notes

Agathe Silverspoon - meat pies
Irvan - scruffy human
Elder Colbu Kaz - riddles
Galsariad - drow riddle competitor, talked to Ayo at the pier
Ayo - blue skinned swimmer
Dermot - goblin at maze, referred to Ayo at the maze
Maggie - ogre at maze
Alyxian asked Moon Weaver to save him. Long ago, he prayed to the Change Bringer 
gave us a gem

There, someone named Alyxian claimed to be lost in darkness. Something about Changebringer in the heat of a temple of evil and taking a jewel. This all happened after we found the jewel in during the challenge yesterday. There was also a bit about praying to Moonweaver, but suspect that's in reference to where we were when we found the amulet."

"Then just now, Elder Usher said that they believe it would be in our best interests to travel to the city of Bazzoxan. As you know, it is a grim town under the control of the Aurora Watch, not a pleasant place to visit. But he thinks we found a Vestige of Divergence, an enchanted relic from the time of the Calamity known as the Jewel of Three Prayers. He said people do not stumble upon Vestiges without a reason. And there is no place in Xhorhas where the memory of the Calamity lingers more strongly than in Bazzoxan.

Irvan takes the ring from Umar. It takes him a moment to realize, but when he does, his eyes begin to light up, water slowly beginning to tear. He gives the Tortle a big hug before releasing him, arms still firmly grabbing on each side of Umar's shell. "Thank you! I thought I'd lost this for good! How did you manage to find it? And how did you know to bring it here?"

Ayo and the others begin to smile when they hear Irvan's boisterous voice, but they return their attention to the other adventurers. "There's not much to tell," says the Genasi. "I've lived in Jigow my whole life. My family's actually lived there for generations before me. Dermot and I've known each other since we were children. We've known each other for so long, I can't even remember how we met. But as far as I can remember, he's always been there with me. Packing herbs and medicines whenever we went exploring in the woods. He's always been good with stuff like that. Cooking, planting, sewing clothes. Dermot has a big family, you see. He's the youngest of twelve siblings. TWELVE! Can you imagine that? And while the others were always diving off waterfalls and wrestling stray dogs, he was doing the work to keep his family together. I'm so fortunate to have met someone like him."

"Well, anyway, one day I told him of my dream of forming an adventuring party. So while I was off learning how to fight as one of Jigow's hunters, Dermot spent his time training to wear heavy armor and threw himself into studying the faith of the Luxon, all so he could come with me. I mean, I was never going to leave him behind, but to think he would be as serious about my dream as I was." Ayo smiles in Dermot's direction, and he smiles back.

However, the look of concern on Dermot's face returns when he takes another look at Lola.

Lola senses Dermot's apprehension, but doesn't understand where it's coming from. She and Umar may have bested them in the games, but we never did anything underhanded.

"Lifelong friends? That's amazing! How about the rest of your crew? What are their stories? As for us, Umar and I were sent by Elder Ushru to Bazzoxen. Not entirely sure why, but we are supposed to check in with the Aurora Watch when we get there. Kaz and Umar knew each other from studying magic together, I think. Kir worked for House Daev'yana so we decided to stick together."

Mechanics

Notes

Irvan - scruffy human
Maggie - ogre at maze
Alyxian asked Moon Weaver to save him. Long ago, he prayed to the Change Bringer 
gave us a gem

There, someone named Alyxian claimed to be lost in darkness. Something about Changebringer in the heat of a temple of evil and taking a jewel. This all happened after we found the jewel in during the challenge yesterday. There was also a bit about praying to Moonweaver, but suspect that's in reference to where we were when we found the amulet."

"Then just now, Elder Usher said that they believe it would be in our best interests to travel to the city of Bazzoxan. As you know, it is a grim town under the control of the Aurora Watch, not a pleasant place to visit. But he thinks we found a Vestige of Divergence, an enchanted relic from the time of the Calamity known as the Jewel of Three Prayers. He said people do not stumble upon Vestiges without a reason. And there is no place in Xhorhas where the memory of the Calamity lingers more strongly than in Bazzoxan.

AC: checked-shield.svg19  | health-normal.svg HP: 34/34 | Initiative: +2 | sprint.svg Passive Perception: 12 (darkvision)

Nothing out of the ordinary there, Vir wondered what had drawn Lola's suspicion. Perhaps the way Dermot and the others had behaved during the tournament? It was hard to say, but Vir was determined to get to the bottom of it.

"I joined just after the tournament, another set of eyes, another spellslinger to bring to the fight."

A warning that they were not to be trifled with, but couched delicately enough that it was unlikely to be characterized as a threat.

"My Clan's way. Corath served the Bright Queen through her Noble Dens as a mercenary company during the war. We're all trying to find our path after it."

They had theirs, pursuing the Half-Drow who had brought their Clan so low.

"Did you fight in the war?"

Ayo perks up, eyes growing wide at the mention of Elder Ushru. "So some of you have already known each other. What happened to the others that were with you during the festival? Well, either way, it seems like you were all given an important task."

It is quiet as Ayo, Dermot, and Maggie look at each other. Dermot breaks the silence. "In the grotto, before we found you, I heard a voice. Well, we all heard it. It was muffled, as though they were speaking underwater. There isn't really any other exit from the grotto that we know of, so I guess what I'm trying to ask is, did you hear the voice too? Was there another person there? Did they do anything to harm you?"

"That is quite commendable of you, to serve the Bright Queen," says Galsariad to Vir. He shakes his head. "No. I was yet born when the war occurred. Still, there are many of those in RosohnaRosohna is the capital city of Kryn. that remember the tyranny of Lolth. Say, what kind of magic do you practice? I have begun to study magic myself."

“That is difficult to explain, but I will endeavor to try anyways.”

Vir answered, crouching down to stretch their hamstrings and crack their knuckles. The exercise was less about limbering up, and more about buying themselves some time. They’d never advanced far enough along their Clan’s techniques to serve as an instructor, even an assistant instructor, before being sent out to fight. They still weren’t used to explaining their Clan’s techniques to outsiders. Still, they were a child of Corath, a mercenary company. They needed to be able to speak of their clan, and the exercise of explaining their magic was a teaching exercise. The best way to grow in their own power was to get better at doing just this.

“I am of Clan Corath, a mercenary clan in service to Noble Den Daev’yana. We practice a unique form of Dunamancy, specifically the manipulation of time and space, in order to enhance our martial prowess. It’s similar to the Dunamantic Echos that many of the upper echelon of the Kryn military employ, but the intent and focus is somewhat different. Rather than an Echo of myself, my Clan’s magic warps reality in a microspace, creating two separate timelines within which I took two slightly different actions… No, I am explaining this poorly. Forgive me, it is a challenge to explain what is supposed to be intuitive. Let me try again. Are you familiar with the magic of Divination? A skilled Diviner foresees multiple outcomes, and picks the one that is most optimal to them, making it their reality. Defensively my Clan’s techniques are identical. We find the reality where our opponent’s blows miss, and make that timeline a reality. That technique I’ve already grown confident with. Offensively though, that is where we diverge. We foresee multiple outcomes, but then we pick both of them, so that both happen simultaneously. WIth a little more practice I will be able to raise my crossbow, and split the timeline in a microspace so that I shoot the same quarrel once each in two different timelines, then fold the timeline back together so that both bolts are a reality. As I progress, I’ll be able to do even more. Construct Dunamantic realities where I fire twice, three times, hurl magic, and then weave it all together to shower my foe in a barrage of quarrel and arcane fire.”

They paused, satisfied with that answer. They had explained well, but not in a manner that would give anyone an advantage over them in a fight. 

“Yourself?”

Edited by TheRaconteur (see edit history)

xHkGiIe.png.94d2c8cc656fdc5daafad700c0ef51f0.png Umar - Character Sheet | Application

checked-shield.svgAC: 19 | health-normal.svg HP: 31/31 | awareness.svg PP: 15 | Channel Divinity 1/1 | Spells: I - 4/4 II - 3/3

Umar smiles and nods "Blessed by the fates one my suppose, for the Luxon works in mysterious ways. A friend found it near the corpse of a gloomstalker. Past acquaintances of members of this party we are, and one told me you were in distress for losing it. So I present it now. I'm sure it has more value for you than others."

Lola is a little confused about what happened in the grotto. It still doesn't completely make sense to her.

"The rest of our team left us during the competition. Only Umar and I finished. The end was all a blur. I think we might have heard the same muffled voice, but at some point after we finished, we both passed out and had to be rescued, as you remember. Elder Ushru then came to the two of us and tasked us to go to Bazzoxen. Then we found these others to join us. Good thing too. Those will-o-wisps would have killed us if it were just the two of us."

Mechanics

Notes

Irvan - scruffy human
Maggie - ogre at maze
gave us a gem

• 2 weeks later...

While Dermot raises his eyebrows in concern over the mention of Will-o-wisps, Ayo seems mostly unfazed. "Will-o-wisps? That's quite the feat. Why does Elder Ushru want the two of you to go to Bazzoxan"

"Thank you. I am most grateful to have this returned." Pinching the ring between his fingers, Irvan smiles as he looks at it before placing it on one of his fingers. Seeing the others gathered around the campfire, he looks at Umar again. "Now then, why don't we join the others? I'd love to hear more about you."

Galsariad seems fascinated by Vir's explanation. When Vir finishes speaking, Galsariad seems almost reluctant to respond in kind. "It seems you have developed a keen understanding of dunamancy and divination magic. However, my understanding of the magic I wield is still quite rudimentary. Aside from just a few spells, the extent of my potential seems to be mostly limited to graviturgy magic. Mostly, I've managed to find a way to concentrate large waves of gravitational energy into a miniscule central point, affecting a small area around it. With more practice, I hope to be able to improve the precision and magnitude of the magnetic force."

Vir nodded, internalizing the tactics they would need to employ if they were ever forced to face Galsariad in combat. They yearned to make friends with the Dunamancer, to bind them as an ally in common cause. Yet they couldn't shake the specter of Lola's suspicions. Why had the Princess not trusted this company, what had they done? They would pry more.

"The Warrior-Scholars of my Clan can strike as quickly as five battlemages, it is a wonder to behold. Is it magic you seek then, with this company you've joined? Looking for a way to improve you understanding of your art?"