Chapter 2: The Leave-Taking

Brian Skies

Most Previous Post: https://www.myth-weavers.com/showthread.php?p=16340260#post16340260

Maggie takes a seat across from Umar. There is a slightly curved smile as she responds to Umar. "We're on an adventure. What about all of you? Are you all headed to Bazzoxan as well?"

She turns to Vir. "Yes, we competed in a race in Jigow. It was a difficult challenge, but your companions beat us to the end."

xHkGiIe.png.94d2c8cc656fdc5daafad700c0ef51f0.png Umar - Character Sheet | Application

checked-shield.svgAC: 19 | health-normal.svg HP: 31/31 | awareness.svg PP: 15 | Channel Divinity 1/1 | Spells: I - 4/4 II - 3/3

Umar nodded with a slow bob of his head. "Yes, we are heading there as well. So far it has been an adventure. Gloomstalkers are one thing, but I did not expect to need to put down a Hezrou on the way here, these are troubling things. What adventure awaits you in Bazzoxan?"

Vir Corath                                                  nGssawp.png

AC: checked-shield.svg19  | health-normal.svg HP: 34/34 | Initiative: +2 | sprint.svg Passive Perception: 12 (darkvision)

Vir nodded along agreeably.

It was their nature to be both suspicious and trusting, cautious but open to risk, a difficult dichotomy to hold at the best of times. The chances that these adventurers were seeking to intercept them seemed small, for there were many reasons to go to Bazzoxan. Yet for a vestige? If they knew the truth of the matter, could they be trusted? They knew that the peoples of Xhorhas needed to be united, but in that quest for unity Vir had already erred once.

"They have proven themselves to be extremely capable fighters, I'm honored to travel alongside them and have the chance to demonstrate my Clan's prowess. Xhorhas needs their strength. Do you intend to push straight on to Bazzoxan, or will your work keep you out in the wilds for a while yet?"

Lola (Drow Echo Knight)spacer.png

AC: 16 | HP: 47/47 | Initiative: +2 | Passive Perception: 14 | FeaturesSecond Wind: 1/1 SR
Action Surge: 1/1 SR
Unleash Incarnation: 3/3 LR
Darkvision 60'
Fey Ancestry
BA Teleport: 2/2 LR
Slasher (-10', on crit disadvantage)
GWF (reroll 1's and 2's)

Death Saves: 0S/0F
Conditions: none

Lola keeps to herself at the fire. She's sure she doesn't trust this group. They cheated in the contest, and tried to have Maggie block our way while they continued. It is too much of a coincidence to find them here. The most likely reason they are on this road is to try to get the Vestige from us.

When she gets a chance, she tells the others quietly when none of the other group is near.

"Be careful around them. I don't trust them."

Mechanics

Main Hand: Empty
Off Hand: Empty

Action: Your action goes here.
Bonus Action: Your bonus action goes here.
Move: Your movement goes here.
Manipulate: Your one free object interaction goes here.

Notes

Agathe Silverspoon - meat pies
Irvan - scruffy human
Elder Colbu Kaz - riddles
Galsariad - drow riddle competitor, talked to Ayo at the pier
Ayo - blue skinned swimmer
Dermot - goblin at maze, referred to Ayo at the maze
Maggie - ogre at maze
Alyxian asked Moon Weaver to save him. Long ago, he prayed to the Change Bringer 
gave us a gem

There, someone named Alyxian claimed to be lost in darkness. Something about Changebringer in the heat of a temple of evil and taking a jewel. This all happened after we found the jewel in during the challenge yesterday. There was also a bit about praying to Moonweaver, but suspect that's in reference to where we were when we found the amulet."

"Then just now, Elder Usher said that they believe it would be in our best interests to travel to the city of Bazzoxan. As you know, it is a grim town under the control of the Aurora Watch, not a pleasant place to visit. But he thinks we found a Vestige of Divergence, an enchanted relic from the time of the Calamity known as the Jewel of Three Prayers. He said people do not stumble upon Vestiges without a reason. And there is no place in Xhorhas where the memory of the Calamity lingers more strongly than in Bazzoxan.

"What will we do in Bazzoxan? Well, that might depend on what work we can find. We don't have a particular goal in mind. Not yet, at least. We do intend to go to Bazzoxan directly. You can travel with us if you'd like." Maggie pauses to listen as Umar tells her about the demon the group encountered on the road. "A Hezrou? I've never heard of one. I'd love to hear about your battle with it." As she takes another one of Umar's pieces with her own, the field on the dragonchess board finally begins to take shape. "In my experience, it is generally wisest to gang up on foes and overwhelm them rather than engaging them in a fair fight. People who fight fair don't win fights."

Show OOC

The game of dragonchess is nearing its end. When Umar is ready to finish, please make an intelligence check.

Beating Maggie's check is a victory for Umar. Rolling the same equates to a draw. Rolling lower than Maggie equates in a victory for Maggie.

Name
Maggie's Dragonchess Check
1d20+2 8

AC: checked-shield.svg19  | health-normal.svg HP: 34/34 | sprint.svg Initiative: +2 | awareness.svg Passive Perception: 12 (darkvision)

Vir had dreaded Lola's words, but kept their expression flat and neutral so as to not betray what they were thinking. Xhoras did not have time for such internal squabbles, their enemies were numerous. The war had just barely ended, and who knew what new threats were on the horizon? They yearned to try and play the part of peacemaker, to try and bridge the gap between these two companies.

But for a Vestige of the Divergence? 

They knew how deadly the desires for such a thing might become. As much as it hurt them to do so, they would play it safe. The fact that they were traveling so far with no particularly goal in mind was certainly suspicious. It was a long and dangerous road to travel if one wasn't assured of work on the other end, and surely there were more opportunities West of where they had set out, rather than the Wastes? Lola had told them to be cautious, and so cautious they would be. 

"We've a client, and a need for discretion where the client is involved."

They said, their voice as apologetic as they could make it. It wasn't even really a lie. They had both a client and a need for discretion. 

"My apologies that we can't be more forthcoming, but you know how it is. Work comes easier when you've got a reputation for professionalism."

Edited by TheRaconteur (see edit history)

CYOXmx4.pngKaz - DDB | MW Thread

checked-shield.svg AC: 16health-normal.svg HP: 26/26 | awareness.svg PP: 15Arcane Recovery 1/1 Spells: I - 3/4 II - 3/3

Kaz internally dismisses Lola's warning. These lot seem fine enough, though she does seem to have a history with them. The kobold eagerly shares stories, hopeful that one among them may have some magical schooling so he can learn more, even if it's just about another mage's habits and techniques.

"Wow, two separate instances of gloomstalkers on one route? No, no, if you're taking the same road as us, and you've clearly been ahead of us... Might it have been the same gloomstalker? The one we encountered had already been felled. Scorched by fire, I believe, and stuck with arrows. Is one of you a mage? I'm always delighted to meet another practitioner of the Art."

OOC/Actions

N/A

xHkGiIe.png.94d2c8cc656fdc5daafad700c0ef51f0.png Umar - Character Sheet | Application

checked-shield.svgAC: 19 | health-normal.svg HP: 31/31 | awareness.svg PP: 15 | Channel Divinity 1/1 | Spells: I - 4/4 II - 3/3

Scratching his chin, Umar ponder the game, reaching for a piece, then stopping and reaching for another. Occassionally gauging Maggie's response. She was pretty good, but he was practiced in it. "That depends on what one means by fair, a Herzou could take on many men and still win. Like the dragon and the soldiers, when is it fair?"

With that he moved his piece into place, having let Maggie clear away some of his low value pieces to increase his own mobility, he now had a clear path for his strongest pieces. His dragon flew across the board, above the king, but none were in the right position to attack it. "Mate." It was oddly inobvious, the dragon being engaged with the griffon and sylphs, but looking back it seemed that the game was played perfectly by Umar, leading Maggie by the nose the whole time.

Name
Chess roll(proficient)
1d20+3 20

• 2 weeks later...

AC: 16 | HP: 47/47 | Initiative: +2 | Passive Perception: 14 | Features

Lola pretends to watch the chess match, but mostly keeps an eye on Umar, making sure none of Maggie's friends come over and try to steal anything from him.

"Congrats, Umar. That was an exciting game. But well played Maggie. Umar tricked me too. I thought you had him."

She doesn't remember much about chess. She was taught how to play as a child, but preferred going outside and practicing her sword fighting with her older siblings.

Mechanics

Notes

Irvan - scruffy human
Maggie - ogre at maze
Alyxian asked Moon Weaver to save him. Long ago, he prayed to the Change Bringer 
gave us a gem

There, someone named Alyxian claimed to be lost in darkness. Something about Changebringer in the heat of a temple of evil and taking a jewel. This all happened after we found the jewel in during the challenge yesterday. There was also a bit about praying to Moonweaver, but suspect that's in reference to where we were when we found the amulet."

"Then just now, Elder Usher said that they believe it would be in our best interests to travel to the city of Bazzoxan. As you know, it is a grim town under the control of the Aurora Watch, not a pleasant place to visit. But he thinks we found a Vestige of Divergence, an enchanted relic from the time of the Calamity known as the Jewel of Three Prayers. He said people do not stumble upon Vestiges without a reason. And there is no place in Xhorhas where the memory of the Calamity lingers more strongly than in Bazzoxan.

Maggie nods in agreement with Umar. "Only fools, madmen, or heroes would attempt such a task, challenging a demon or a dragon to a one-on-one duel. One of the strengths of the mortal races is our ability to band together. If it weren't for that, who knows where the races of Exandria would stand. The Gloomstalker is a good example of that. It sounds as though you found the one that came upon us. If it weren't for our teamwork, one or more of us surely would have perished." Maggie watches Umar lead the dragon into the winning move. Surprised, she slightly leans back, tilting her head upward before letting out a soft sigh of exasperation. "Ahh, you had me the whole time. There is always so much more to learn when it comes to strategy and tactics."

Dermot, a goblin who had just finished cooking, brings over bowls of soup for the adventurers. It's filled with potatoes, carrots, mushrooms, and meat. He smiles softly towards Kaz, saying, "Galsariad has recently taken up the study of arcane magic. He's the one standing on watch right now. My name is Dermot. It's a pleasure to meet you."

There is a look of concern on Dermot's face as he looks at Umar and Lola, but it quickly vanishes as Ayo Jabe, a water genasi, steps out from her group's wagon. She notices the adventurers in her party's camp and begins walking in Lola and Umar's direction. "Welcome to our camp. Lola, Umar, once again, congratulations on your victory..." Ayo pauses for several moments, as if thinking about what to say. "Are you all headed towards Bazzoxan as well?"

AC: checked-shield.svg19  | health-normal.svg HP: 34/34 | sprint.svg Initiative: +2 | awareness.svg Passive Perception: 12 (darkvision)

“That’s up to Lola or Umar to decide.”

Vir answered, pained to have to practice such deception. They wanted to embrace these newcomers as friends and allies, to unite them all under a common cause. Yet such idealism had already cost them dearly. They ached to interrogate Lola and discern the source of her distrust, but there wasn’t time just yet. 

“Confidentiality of the client, and all. I will join that friend of yours on watch, save me a bowl.”

They added, rising, letting paranoia take root and guide their actions. Poisoned food would certainly be one way to wrest the vestige from them. Better to stagger their mealtimes then. 

AC: 16 | HP: 47/47 | Initiative: +2 | Passive Perception: 14 | Features

Lola is hesitant to accept Ayo's offer. This group cheated several times during the competitions, so she doesn't trust them. On the other hand, there are more dangerous things out here than overly competitive neighbors. She offers her hand with a friendly smile.

"Thanks, Ayo. It is good to see familiar faces, even if we were on opposite sides of the competition before. We'd be grateful to share your camp. Perhaps we could travel together to Bazzoxan. Again, why are you all going there?"

She still thinks it is not a coincidence that they stumbled upon this group, and is sure they have a nefarious motive.

Mechanics

Notes

Irvan - scruffy human
Maggie - ogre at maze
gave us a gem

CYOXmx4.pngKaz - DDB | MW Thread

checked-shield.svg AC: 16health-normal.svg HP: 26/26 | awareness.svg PP: 15Arcane Recovery 1/1 Spells: I - 3/4 II - 3/3

Kaz's eyes light up at the mention of another arcane spellcaster.

"Pleasure to meet you, Dermot. Once his shift is over, I'd be thrilled to pick Galsariad's brain over our mutual studies..."

He does a poor job hiding his enthusiasm.

OOC/Actions

N/A

Nodding, he smiled lightly. "Strength in numbers and strategy is right, it would be a boring game of chess with one piece each. Thank you for the food."

He watched the goblin carefully, he does not like discomfort, perhaps their competition was not so far behind them. "Tis no secret, the is the road to Bazzoxan. Some help take their too seriously, no? Victory is a fleeting thing, but thank you, we were blessed on that day. But we all know about that, being there and all, and are too young to reminisce. So tell us why you go to the Bazzo and of your fight with the gloomstalker! yes?"

AC: checked-shield.svg16  | health-normal.svg HP: 34/34 | sprint.svg Initiative: +2 | awareness.svg Passive Perception: 12 (darkvision)

As they had promised, Vir sought out Galsariad. Best to watch the watcher, to see what happened next.

“Well met, Galsariad, was it? I’m Vir of Clan Corath.”

The part of them that desired to make friends and allies was strong, and tormented by the mistakes of their past.