Beyond the Fourth Wall (out of character)

Xerin

The 'Attractive' advantage always seems very subjective and controversial. Rules as written says; "You're particularly attractive, giving you a +2 circumstance bonus on Deception and Persuasion checks to deceive, seduce, or change the attitude of anyone who finds your looks appealing."

My interpretation of this is advantage has always been that it doesn't make a character appealing to more people, it makes a character more appealing to anyone who would already have found them to be appealing. Thus, if The Noxious Slugman took the 'Attractive' advantage it wouldn't make more people attracted to him, it would just make the people who already find The Noxious Slugman appealing to find him even more attractive.

And in the case of Catwoman, anyone who already finds Catwoman to be appealing will be even more attracted to her because of the advantage, while anyone who doesn't find her appealing won't be affected by the advantage.

Edited by cbenny (see edit history)

1 hour ago, rogueblade0729 said:

I have a harder time believing THE Dark Knight's central love affair has been dictated by dice rolls, as opposed to two hot people being into each other regardless.

I mean if we want to get into a real discussion.
According to the DC Adventures book.
Bruce doesn't have attractive...
As a matter of fact, I don't think I have ever seen a guy have attractive.....

It's VERY clear the book was made by a bunch of dudes....

Edit: No wait... some guys do...

Edited by DecoyGirl (see edit history)

1 hour ago, GleefulNihilism said:

So Catwoman is officially Attractive 1 with some Skill Points in Seduction, not Attractive 2.

...I'll allow it, but y'all on thin ice.

Officially she has (Checks)

Attractive 1.
And 10 in both deception and persuasion....

As a said take that with some salt (Despite this technically being 'offical')
Because Bruce, by comparison, does not have Attractive....
No guy I've seen does..

Edit: No scratch that.. Some guys do.

1 hour ago, cbenny said:

The 'Attractive' advantage always seems very subjective and controversial. Rules as written says; "You're particularly attractive, giving you a +2 circumstance bonus on Deception and Persuasion checks to deceive, seduce, or change the attitude of anyone who finds your looks appealing."

My interpretation of this is advantage has always been that it doesn't make a character appealing to more people, it makes a character more appealing to anyone who would already have found them to be appealing. Thus, if The Noxious Slugman took the 'Attractive' advantage it wouldn't make more people attracted to him, it would just make the people who already find The Noxious Slugman appealing to find him even more attractive.

And in the case of Catwoman, anyone who already finds Catwoman to be appealing will be even more attracted to her because of the advantage, while anyone who doesn't find her appealing won't be affected by the advantage.

Ya I think the soft rule in the actual book lines up with this.
I think the text is basically "If you fine human women attractive and a human woman has this it works"
But I think the actual rule in discussion liens up with yours better.
That someone might not have the advantage just cause your not into them for what ever reason.

Side note: this is in fact not important I just find the discussion fascinating in the context of we actually HAVE a offical MnM DC set of books and we can look at it. (Not that anyone is required to go by those stats mind you, but we just don't have offical MnM stuff other then this)

Actually a quick scan of the DC adventures villains and heroes books (1 and 2)

They are actually quite sparing with giving out attraction.
Only handing it out 31 times out of about 550 characters.
With 9 of those being males. (More on that in a moment)
22 being female. (With an Astrix)

And ONLY 3 entries in the entire book with attractive two.
And I actually... Kind of have to agree with the three they have.

With guys the list is.

Air wave. (Who I had to go lookup)
Arsenal. (Which means Speedy also I guess)
Booster gold.. (Which I find VERY funny)
Oliver Gueen... (Green Arrow having attractive when Batman does not is... problematic)
Dick Grayson. (The only Robin to have it, including Stephen Brown, but I guess he had to land Starfire somehow)
Harvey Dent... (Apparently HAD attractive)
Vic Sage. (AKA The male Question, before you wonder yes, renee montoya ALSO has attractive, some Question stans in the writing room)

*The book also makes a note that Clay Face HAD attractive as a human and can technically have it when he changes into some one, even having attractive as someone who does not normally have it.
*It makes the same note for both Martian Manhunter and Ms Martian.

As for the Attractie 1 ladies.

Batwoman. (No Argument)
Lady Blackhawk.
Black Canary.
Blackfire. (More on this in a moment)
Catwoman.
Circe.
Harley Quinn. (one-half of the most attractive couple in this book)
Jade
Killer Frost
Pamela Isley (The OTHER half of the most attractie couple in the book)
Power girl... ... (Oddly enough, Supergirl DOES NOT have attractive, nor does Superman)
The Question. (As mentioned above)
Talia Al Ghul
Raven (Clearly they do not sare our universal love for goth girls or she would have attractive 2)
Donna Troy
Vixen
Wonder Girl
Zatanna

The ONLY Attractive 2 entries in the entire book are.

Star Sapphire (Which I mean that's her whole deal I guess)
Starfire (Which I feel really has to piss off Blackfire)
Wonder Woman (Again I'm pretty sure it's cannon she's supposed to be the most attractive woman on earth)

The real confusion in this whole book is that Bruce Wayne does not have attractive..

as for my character.
I gave her attractive 2 after i decided that Kat Dennings was going to be my picture, and I'll fight anyone who wants to argue with me that Kat Dennings has ONLY attractive 1....

Nightwing is canon. He has been recognized by multiple people, from a distance, when believed dead and wearing a super science mask, based on how attractive his ass is. When your ass is so good that you need a special costume for it, attractive makes sense.

spacer.png

kRUfGHUF64lAo8YaTR9lu6EIi1WtmXIGgzc8M__oAck.jpg.28f904b529479a4921bb5d34ee6cfe81.jpg

17 minutes ago, Xerin said:

Nightwing is canon. He has been recognized by multiple people, from a distance, when believed dead and wearing a super science mask, based on how attractive his ass is. When your ass is so good that you need a special costume for it, attractive makes sense.

spacer.png

kRUfGHUF64lAo8YaTR9lu6EIi1WtmXIGgzc8M__oAck.jpg.28f904b529479a4921bb5d34ee6cfe81.jpg

I'm dead now...
That look on batgirls face is perfect...

1 hour ago, DecoyGirl said:

[...]

Power girl... ... (Oddly enough, Supergirl DOES NOT have attractive, nor does Superman)
[...]

Methinks for a specific reason...

To be clear, Barda is also supes attractive in comics and it's more her version that I'm leaning towards. If one is attracted to stronk girls with big attitudes who love puppies and watching birds fly around, that's who her Attractive works for.

Also, @Xerin @DecoyGirl I hadn't touched on her motherhood, but a common story thing in comics is having it be either an Amazon or Kryptonian parent to a New God secret baby (Fury and Grail). Right now her public story is "amnesiac Kryptonian", but even as is, she has big ties to the S-family, which Kaand'r might be seeking as well. But I'd also (one might say bait-like) dangle the identity of her mother as potential plot hook.

2 hours ago, Khakhan said:

Methinks for a specific reason...

To be clear, Barda is also supes attractive in comics and it's more her version that I'm leaning towards. If one is attracted to stronk girls with big attitudes who love puppies and watching birds fly around, that's who her Attractive works for.

Also, @Xerin @DecoyGirl I hadn't touched on her motherhood, but a common story thing in comics is having it be either an Amazon or Kryptonian parent to a New God secret baby (Fury and Grail). Right now her public story is "amnesiac Kryptonian", but even as is, she has big ties to the S-family, which Kaand'r might be seeking as well. But I'd also (one might say bait-like) dangle the identity of her mother as potential plot hook.

Speaking of Barda.
I'm also very salty Big Barda does not have an attractive advantage in the DC book also.
Me thinks the writters don't have the love for 7 foot tall strong girls that I... umm I mean some do.

There are quite a few more than human races to tie into when you really look into it ya.

3 hours ago, rogueblade0729 said:

Francis reached out and shook Jack's hand firmly, looking him square in the eyes...

"Good to meet you, Jake,"...

He then directed Jack's attention with a point of his finger, aiming at the front-right tower of Wayne Manor on the third floor.

Remember to be careful with those "Jack"s and "Jake"s. We have both names among our PCs.

Ɨ
Ɨ