Chapter One - Blood on the Crown

bwatford

PC

Kythera Syras "Ky" Human Cleric 1 / Wizard 4 Applicationspacer.png
image.png.30b924e658ca3da1577a1e996d5a58f6.png

AC: 16 (chain shirt and shield) | HP: 29 /29 | Initiative: +1 | Passive Perception: 14 | Features

The group goes almost right past Kyhtera's small apartment on their way to the South District. She lives just a few blocks over. When they get to Granny's house and RAffolk is given such a warm welcome, Kythera laughs at Harder's instructions to the halfling scoundrel. But she thinks we shouldn't give up just yet. She leans into the door and speaks to the woman on the other side.

"Mrs. Pearla, we don't trust your grandson either...but we're here to make you an offer on your feather, and we have the gold with us. Then we'll leave and take Raffolk with us."

Mechanics

Main Hand: Empty
Off Hand: empty

Move: none

Action: none

Bonus Action: none

Reactions: use shield if it would block a hit, maybe use shadow shield

Manipulate: Your one free object interaction goes here.

Concentration:

Notes

Byra, halfling daughter of Taem and Gyo

Willow Creek, built right into the side of a large hill it was, they were immediately accosted by a hoarde of beggars as they made their way into the village. They found the village to have no walls and no real militia that they could see. Prominent buildings were:

the Crossed Guard (blacksmith),

the Wise Owl (tavern): Lewis Pickerton (proprietor), Eldeth (dwarf on Inspiration Dust)

Roots and Hourglass (alchemist),

the Bearded Cabinet (general store),

the Temple of the Eternal Mother (church).

Flask and Rat, inn run by a dwarf

Sheriff Kendall

Kharis, dwarf necromancer that plays Battlechess

Crownwarden Lord Cyne Monder, a recognizable and much-respected member of the Royal Court and Lord Protector of the Crown

Raffolk, halfling who owes Gruff 200gp and lost Lord Monder's couatl feather

Gruffa, bugbear owner of Triple Nine

PC

Egg High Elf Cleric 5spacer.png

AC: 17 (breastplate, shield, dex) | HP: 38/38 | Initiative: +1 | Passive Perception: 17 
Spell Slots: 1st 4/4, 2nd 3/3, 3rd 2/2 | Spell Attack: +8 | Spell DC: 16 | DM Inspiration: 1/1
Eyes of the Night (Share): 1/1 | Channel Divinity: 1/1 | Channel Divinity (AotD): 1/1

Egg leans in from around Ky. "Or we could sit down for tea and listen to your tales of all the way young Raffolk has gotten himself into trouble, has frustrated and disappointed. I find it is most therapeutic to vent one's anger with specifics and details."

The Elf does love a good tale or two of foolishness, and he's still trying to get a sense of what kind of man the Halfling is, less an issue about trust at this point, and more of wondering what to expect after the transaction is over? He think perhaps this grandma can help offer some clarity on the matter.

That, and there is a certain humor to the situation, he can't disagree with Harder's 'good luck'.

Mechanics

Off Hand: Empty

Action: -
Bonus Action: -
Move: -
Manipulate: -

Yaldiled Gurvys Dragonborn Paladin 4/Bard 1

spacer.png

AC: 19 | HP: 38/38 | Initiative: +1 | Passive Perception: 13 | Spell Attack: +6 | Spell DC: 14 | DM Inspiration: 1/1
Cantrips; Vicous Mockery, Minor Illusion, Spare the Dying, Guidance
Memorized Spells;
Level 1 | ▣ ▣ ▣ ▢ | Ensnaring Strike, Wrathful Smite, Bless, Command, Purify Food and Drink, Dissonant Whispers, Earth Tremor, Thunderwave, Tasha's Hideous Laughter
Level 2 | ▣ ▢ |

Yaldiled didn't take the slamming of the door as a good sign of how this would end. "Ma'am, like my colleagues have said, we are trying to get your grandson out of a bind but don't expect you to help for nothing. We can and will recompense you, but if you could just hear us out first, please."

Mechanics

Main Hand: +1 Warhammer
Off Hand: Shield

Bardic Inspiration 2/3

1st level spell slots 3/4

Action:
Bonus Action:
Move:

Name
Persuassion check
1d20+6 18

Baldur

Baldur Stonebow Dwarf Ranger 5Baldur(3).jpg.a5cbe35aa8f560308a6e2bd9dfb1e0d6.jpg

AC: 15 (chain shirt) | HP: 49/49 | Initiative: +3 | Passive Perception: 15 
Spell Slots: 1st 4/4, 2nd 2/2 | Spell Attack: +5 | Spell DC: 13
Spells Known | DM Inspiration: 1/1

Baldur is no help as he is standing back away from the door and watching from about 10 to 15 feet away. He is chuckling softly.

I think I like her!

Mechanics

Main Hand: Heavy Crossbow
Off Hand: Heavy Crossbow

Action:
Bonus Action:
Move:
Manipulate:

Racial ability - Colossus Slayer: it target is hit by a weapon and is below maximum hit points it takes an additional 1d8 once per turn.

• 2 months later...
NPC

Granny Pearla Old Halfling

image.png.badeac31c60590aa6a5d1506bcbd99ee.png
At Harder's comments, Raffolk only hung his head in guilt, realizing that while said in jest, the man may be right.

A moment later Ky leaned in and spoke toward the door, to Mrs. Pearla. Making an offer.... of which the old halfling responded "Why should I sell it? And how much we talking?" you could still hear the angst in her voice over Raffolk, but she wasn't dumb enough not to hear the offer first.

With Egg's offer of sitting down for tea the old lady responded "I am afraid I do not know any of you well enough for that. Friends of Raffolk already make you suspect. I'd be careful if I was you. He'll just use you to get what he wants.  Just like he has me." she croaked through the door.

"I'll let one of you in, maybe the white-haired girl. To discuss buying the feather, but that is it. But you better have a couple hundred shinies in that pouch if you be wanting this feather." she added and cracked the door a bit as she motioned for Ky to enter.

PC

Saara Renalish Yuan-Ti Paladin 4/Warlock 1YoungFemaleWhitePaladin5341.jpg.5bfd0b61ecd3feccc66e67cecfb6113a.jpg

AC: 19 (splint mail and shield) | HP: 43/43 | Initiative: +0 | Passive Perception: 10
Spell Slots: 1st 3/3, Pact 1/1 | Spell Attack: +7 (rod of the pact) | Spell DC: 15 (rod of the pact)
Lay on Hands: 20/20 | Divine Sense: 5/5 | Form of Dread: 3/3 | DM Inspiration: 1/1

The usually loudmouthed and boisterous Sara had been shockingly quiet of late. She wasn't a braggart, at least in most situations. The exception was singular, but irrelevant in the here and now, as there was no mortal magic here for her test herself against. She was just possessed with a vim and vigor that appeared unending. When they'd learned of the Manticore problem, she'd been full of ideas and suggestions for what they should do, most of them so fanciful as to be completely impractical. As always, she just seemed to be enjoying herself, spitballing ideas more for the fun of it than anything else. There was very little she couldn't turn into a game, given time, and the Feyborn loved games.

When Raffolk had made them is offer, she had cracked a smile so wide her head seemed like it might split open, and had tried to force the chuckles back inside her mouth when Yaldiled started naming terms. She took her debts extremely seriously, and made a point of it now. Gwydion had the right of it, it was a scam.

"Ha, I'll put my gold into the pot as well, even though I'd bet more than twice my share that this is a trick."

Her feelings were only confirmed for her when Granny pointed out that any friend of Raffolk was deeply suspicious in her estimation. So then why had she paid out if she thought they were being hoodwinked? Because if there was one thing Saana loved more than life itself, it was a good hunt. If the Halfling betrayed them, she'd track him down to the end of the earth. As long as it took, she'd find him, and make him pay one way or another. She didn't tell him any of this, either. That wasn't her way. She didn't threaten people, didn't enjoy being a bully. It was just how she saw the world. A deal was a deal, and a double cross was worthy of a hunt. If he was trying to scam them, he'd find out soon

That was the fun of it all, and more than worth the cost. So she stayed outside, cracking jokes with the others while they waited.

Mechanics

Action: Your action goes here.
Bonus Action: Your bonus action goes here.
Move: Your movement goes here.

Edited by TheRaconteur (see edit history)

PC

AC: 16 (chain shirt and shield) | HP: 29 /29 | Initiative: +1 | Passive Perception: 14 | Features

Kythera slides into the house and accepts the woman's hospitality. She kneels on one knee so she isn't talking down to the woman or leaning over like one would talk to a child. She's not sure she should be the one negotiating a price since she's not the most worldly of the group. This is still a strange land to her.

"You knew Ratfolk had the other feather, right? He agreed to sell it to a noble but then it got destroyed before he could deliver. He said you had one too, so we'd like to offer you the profit he would have made. And it will keep him from feeling the noble's wrath, if you care about that."

She reaches into her pouch. "He said you might sell it for 150, more than what it's worth."

She's willing to go to 200, but wants to leave a little room for negotiation.

Mechanics

Concentration:

Notes

Willow Creek, built right into the side of a large hill it was, they were immediately accosted by a hoarde of beggars as they made their way into the village. They found the village to have no walls and no real militia that they could see. Prominent buildings were:

the Wise Owl (tavern): Lewis Pickerton (proprietor), Eldeth (dwarf on Inspiration Dust)

Sheriff Kendall

Crownwarden Lord Cyne Monder, a recognizable and much-respected member of the Royal Court and Lord Protector of the Crown

Edited by BobtheWizard (see edit history)

PC

AC: 17 (breastplate, shield, dex) | HP: 38/38 | Initiative: +1 | Passive Perception: 17 
Spell Slots: 1st 4/4, 2nd 3/3, 3rd 2/2 | Spell Attack: +8 | Spell DC: 16 | DM Inspiration: 1/1
Eyes of the Night (Share): 1/1 | Channel Divinity: 1/1 | Channel Divinity (AotD): 1/1

Egg shrugs. It's an entertaining enough situation, though he's far more curious to how it'll turn out. He does wonder if they truly are being tricked if it's worth any sort of vendetta. That he's far more worried about than any lost coin. Coin can be lost in many ways, good and bad, lawful or not. One's attention, one's frustration, one's overall well-being.

Something for Egg to bring up to the others when they have a more private moment. For now, spirtual guidance would have to wait. He takes a couple steps over to Ky, counting out his gold. "Here. Fifty for our current cause." He offers the grandmother a calm smile, and then steps back, giving plenty of room. He will not fault her for the mistrust, and will not demand otherwise.

Mechanics

Baldur

Baldur Stonebow Dwarf Ranger 5Baldur(3).jpg.a5cbe35aa8f560308a6e2bd9dfb1e0d6.jpg

AC: 15 (chain shirt) | HP: 49/49 | Initiative: +3 | Passive Perception: 15 
Spell Slots: 1st 4/4, 2nd 2/2 | Spell Attack: +5 | Spell DC: 13
Spells Known | DM Inspiration: 1/1

Baldur stands back a ways letting the others deal with this. He is here to support his friends and back them up if needed. But he has no intention of putting any of his hard earned money towards this fools endeavors. He just stands back and looks grumpy.

Mechanics

Main Hand: Heavy Crossbow
Off Hand: Heavy Crossbow

Action:
Bonus Action:
Move:
Manipulate:

Racial ability - Colossus Slayer: it target is hit by a weapon and is below maximum hit points it takes an additional 1d8 once per turn.

Yaldiled Gurvys Dragonborn Paladin 4/Bard 1

spacer.png

AC: 19 (Splint Mail, Shield) | HP: 38/38 | Initiative: +1 | Passive Perception: 13 | Spell Attack: +6 | Spell DC: 14 | DM Inspiration: 1/1
Cantrips; Vicous Mockery, Minor Illusion, Spare the Dying, Guidance
Memorized Spells;
Level 1 | ▣ ▣ ▣ ▢ | Ensnaring Strike, Wrathful Smite, Bless, Command, Purify Food and Drink, Dissonant Whispers, Earth Tremor, Thunderwave, Tasha's Hideous Laughter
Level 2 | ▣ ▢ |

Yaldiled sighs, quietly retrieving her share of their last payment and handing it over to Ky. She glared at Raffoolk, stating "Do not waste this second chance, because you cannot guarantee others will be so willing to help." It certainly sounded like his relation had more than fair reasons for being this stubborn.

Mechanics

Main Hand: +1 Warhammer

Bardic Inspiration 2/3

1st level spell slots 3/4

Action:
Bonus Action:
Move:

image.jpeg.6e2c0e136f0df5812ee99688a3dc909b.jpeg

CHAPTER ONE - BLOOD ON THE CROWN

Raffolk was quick to remind Ky that he had put his own fifty gold into the pot as she moved toward the door.

As the woman slid into the house Granny closed the door behind her "Have a seat at the table dear, I know it isn't much, but it is what I have to offer." she said. She nodded when Ky asked if she knew about the feather Raffolk had "Sounds like he has even managed to squander his inheritance as well. Those feathers are all we had passed down, well originally to me, and then I passed one of the two down to him years back. I honestly can't say now that it was a good decision on my part."

When Ky mentioned a hundred and fifty coins the old lady just shook her head "Fool, he doesn't even know the real value of what he had I reckon." then turning to Ky "Would you like some tea dear? I would not part with my sole remaining feather for less than two hundred and fifty shinies myself. Despite what that miscreant has told you."

On This Jundiel (Tuesday), the 34th Day of Camua (Autumn), in the 631st Year of the Age of Kings
12:49 pm

The 5th Day of the Campaign

Show Active Maps

Currently Not in Use!!

Show Bookkeeping

PASSIVE PERCEPTION

Egg 17 | Baldur 15 | Kythera 14 | Yaldiled 13 | Saara 10

INITIATIVE

Not in Use!!

MECHANICS

Not in Use!!

CONDITIONS

Not in Use!!

DESCRIPTIONS

Not in Use!!

BALDUR STONEBOW

Hit Points: 49/49 (RESIST:poison; ADVSAVTYPE: poisoned)
Hit Dice: 5/5
Spell Slots (+5, DC 13) *L

• 1st Level: 4/4
  • 2nd Level: 2/2

DM Inspiration: 1/1

EGG

Hit Points: 38/38 (ADVSAVTYPE: charmed; IMMUNITIES: magic sleep)
Hit Dice: 5/5

Channel Divinity: 1/1 *S/L
Channel Divinity (AotD): 1/1 *L
Eyes of the Night: 1/1 *L
Spell Slots (+8, DC 16) *L

• 1st Level: 4/4
  • 2nd Level: 3/3
  • 3rd Level: 2/2

DM Inspiration: 1/1

KYTHERA SYRAS

Hit Points: 29/29

Arcane Recovery: 1/1 *L
Cloak of Darkness: 1/1 *S/L
Shadow Shield: 1/1 *S/L
Dissonant Whispers *1/1 L
Misty Step *1/1 L
Spell Slots Cleric (+4, DC 12), Wizard (+8, DC 16) *L

• 3rd Level: 2/2

SAARA RENALISH

Hit Points: 43/43 (IMMUNE: disease; RESIST: poison; MAGIC RESISTANCE)
Divine Sense: 5/5 *L
Form of Dread: 3/3 *L
Lay On Hands: 20/20 *L
Spell Slots Paladin (+6, DC 14), Warlock (+7, DC 15)

• 1st Level: 4/4 *L
  • Pact Slots (1st): 1/1 *S/L

YALDILED GURVYS

Hit Points: 38/38 (RESIST:cold; IMMUNE: disease)
Bardic Inspiration: 2/3 (d8) *L
Breath Weapon: 1/1 *S
Divine Sense: 4/4 *L
Lay on Hands: 20/20 *L
Spell Slots (+6, DC 14) *L

PC

Kythera accepts the chair and sits down and then nods when Granny offers her some tea. She is a little out of her element bargaining for a feather. One of the locals would have been a better choice. On the other hand, she isn't too concerned if they can't come to an agreement, so there is no real pressure on her. Even if this woman doesn't care for Raffolk anymore, she certainly likes him more than the 'not at all' that Ky does.

"It does seem like giving anything to Raffolk is a bad idea. I'm sure he would squander most anything you gave him. The bugbear came after him for a gambling debt. Do you know Gruffa over at the Triple Nine?"

She takes off her pouch and empties all 200 gold pieces onto the table.

"I was told to offer 150, but to go up to 200 before walking away. So here is the 200gp. If you ask me to go over that, I will have to take my gold with me and we'll leave Raffolk's fate to Gruffa and Lord Monder."

Mechanics

Concentration:

Notes

Sheriff Kendall

PC

As they wait outside, Egg is a mixture of content and restless. He is content in that they are in the midst of an interesting situation. He is restless to know what comes next. "Raffolk. What do you think your grandmother is saying right now? What are the odds you think she'll give the feather? Most likely, but with a price? Probably not, but worth a try? A coin flip?"

The others know that Egg is less interested about any sort of tactical assessment of the situation, trying to figure out what may come next. No, the priest wants a good story, and is hoping that Raffolk can add some flourish, some details to it. He wants to keep the tension up in the moment waiting to see if they get the feather or not.

Mechanics

PC

Saara Renalish Yuan-Ti Paladin 4/Warlock 1YoungFemaleWhitePaladin5341.jpg.5bfd0b61ecd3feccc66e67cecfb6113a.jpg

AC: 19 (splint mail and shield) | HP: 43/43 | Initiative: +0 | Passive Perception: 10
Spell Slots: 1st 3/3, Pact 1/1 | Spell Attack: +7 (rod of the pact) | Spell DC: 15 (rod of the pact)
Lay on Hands: 20/20 | Divine Sense: 5/5 | Form of Dread: 3/3 | DM Inspiration: 1/1

Saara was shifting her wait back and forth where she stood, clearly impatient to be on. She didn't look annoyed though, far from it. She appeared committed to this fool's errand, simultaneously fully expecting it to be a grift, yet delighted to see the result. The prospect of being cheated out of coin seemed to excite her rather than annoy her, a curious state of affairs.

"I get that these Couatl feathers are extremely rare, what I don't get is what it actually does. People are making promises and throwing coin around, but no one has been able to say what they aim to achieve with all of this."

She knew enough of magic to know that some workings required rare ingredients to perform, but not nearly enough to know what use this feather might serve.

Mechanics

Action: Your action goes here.
Bonus Action: Your bonus action goes here.
Move: Your movement goes here.

Edited by TheRaconteur (see edit history)

image.jpeg.6e2c0e136f0df5812ee99688a3dc909b.jpeg

CHAPTER ONE - BLOOD ON THE CROWN

'Do you know Gruffa over at the Triple Nine?' Ky had asked the old woman before she shook her head "I don't frequent those sorts of places dear. But he certainly sounds bad enough, I do know what a bugbear is." she replied as she poured the tea.

As the gold was dumped out on the table the old woman rose from her seat to collect an ornate wooden box off the mantle nearby and placed it on the table before opening it to reveal the couatl feather that was resting inside. Thinking they had a deal, Ky reached for the box only to have it pulled away and the lid closed by the old woman. "Two hundred and fifty dear, not going to sell myself short on the transaction. That is what the feather is worth. It is also my only inheritance, and I won't part with it for less."

Back outside another conversation was going on 'Raffolk. What do you think your grandmother is saying right now? What are the odds you think she'll give the feather? Most likely, but with a price? Probably not, but worth a try? A coin flip?' Egg asked the little man.

Raffolk hung his head, "Knowing Granny she is probably saying all sorts of bad things about me right now. But I think she will part with the feather if we meet her price.  She might hate me, but she ain't stupid when it comes to coin. SHe is a halfling after all." he let out a sigh "It is my fault that it has come to this. That, I am guilty of."

When Saara made her comment about what the feather does Raffolk turned to her "It is a couatl feather, that is what it does. They aren't magical or anything, even though they come from a celestial creature.  Just beautiful and extremely rare. I found out that Lord Monder collects such things and thought I would take advantage of it.  The more an item is desired, the more someone is illing to pay." he hoped he was making sense, "Like a painting or any other work of art.  That is the value in the feather."

On This Jundiel (Tuesday), the 34th Day of Camua (Autumn), in the 631st Year of the Age of Kings
12:52 pm

The 5th Day of the Campaign

Show Active Maps

Currently Not in Use!!

Show Bookkeeping

PASSIVE PERCEPTION

Egg 17 | Baldur 15 | Kythera 14 | Yaldiled 13 | Saara 10

INITIATIVE

Not in Use!!

MECHANICS

Not in Use!!

CONDITIONS

Not in Use!!

DESCRIPTIONS

Not in Use!!

BALDUR STONEBOW

Hit Points: 49/49 (RESIST:poison; ADVSAVTYPE: poisoned)
Spell Slots (+5, DC 13) *L

EGG

Hit Points: 38/38 (ADVSAVTYPE: charmed; IMMUNITIES: magic sleep)
Hit Dice: 5/5

Channel Divinity (AotD): 1/1 *L
Eyes of the Night: 1/1 *L
Spell Slots (+8, DC 16) *L

• 1st Level: 4/4
  • 3rd Level: 2/2

DM Inspiration: 1/1

KYTHERA SYRAS

Hit Points: 29/29

Arcane Recovery: 1/1 *L
Cloak of Darkness: 1/1 *S/L
Shadow Shield: 1/1 *S/L
Dissonant Whispers *1/1 L
Misty Step *1/1 L
Spell Slots Cleric (+4, DC 12), Wizard (+8, DC 16) *L

• 3rd Level: 2/2

SAARA RENALISH

Hit Points: 43/43 (IMMUNE: disease; RESIST: poison; MAGIC RESISTANCE)
Divine Sense: 5/5 *L
Form of Dread: 3/3 *L
Lay On Hands: 20/20 *L
Spell Slots Paladin (+6, DC 14), Warlock (+7, DC 15)

• 1st Level: 4/4 *L
  • Pact Slots (1st): 1/1 *S/L

YALDILED GURVYS

Hit Points: 38/38 (RESIST:cold; IMMUNE: disease)
Bardic Inspiration: 2/3 (d8) *L
Breath Weapon: 1/1 *S
Divine Sense: 4/4 *L
Lay on Hands: 20/20 *L
Spell Slots (+6, DC 14) *L