OOC - The old thread (LOCKED)

DangerBoy

37 minutes ago, Lycar said:

Okay but that was almost 2 years ago... 😞

As for questions: IF Edmund goes armour +3, shield +3 and weapon (sword) +3 and weapon (crossbow) +3, what happens to Shield Master? Does it stay in play as written? Because then effectively that +3 armour bonus on his shield also becomes a +3 to-hit bonus when shield-bashing.

Also, do we just do away with Penumbra's Thorn's special to-hit bonus to Sneak Attacks? Works for me, it's fewer numbers to keep juggling around.

Yes, your shield effectively becomes a +3 weapon.

As for Penumbra's Thorn, the ABP would obsolete it. You could just make a straight-up +4 sword which is better than a Sword of Subtlety.

Hmm... so he can either invest his 'Power Glove' and thus the dart launcher, or the repeating crossbow...

Because he only has one Ioun Stone and has to chose each morning what weapon to slot it into! This is awesome! 😁

1 hour ago, Lycar said:

Hmm... so he can either invest his 'Power Glove' and thus the dart launcher, or the repeating crossbow...

Because he only has one Ioun Stone and has to chose each morning what weapon to slot it into! This is awesome! 😁

Why can't you buy another iIun stone?

@DB - Can you allow this loophole?

Mystic Theurge adds"+1level of existing arcane spell casting class/ +1level of existing divine spellcasting class"

So - he goes up 2 ABP for each level of Mystic Theurge?

(Just a reminder, I rolled a 43 on my last Diplomacy check...)

@DB - just to clarify with another example:

Celestial Armor (+3 Chainmail, can cast Fly 1x/day, cost 22,400) would count as +4 attunement, but only cost $150 (chainmail) + $16,000 (+4 attunement)?

1 hour ago, DangerBoy said:

What are the circumstances where Edmund would choose darts over crossbow?

You could also just use some of your funds to enchant the dart launcher or the crossbow...

There may be instances where lugging around a repeating crossbow may be ... inopportune. The Sheath of Bladestealth only works on ... blades. 😁

Also, since ABP does (thankfully) away with the +X stuff, the only things left to buy are stuff like Courageous or Called, but how do these interact with ABP? I suppose, stuff with a flat cost like Glamered works better. Or the Shadow upgrades for armour I suppose (would be quite fitting for (Drow)Spider Silk armour too). Right now Edmund has roughly 102k in gear, so there is some wriggle room for +skill stuff, but at far as weapons and armour go, he has what he needs. Also some spy gadgets to play around with, so he's good on that front too.

And yes, he can get more Ioun Stones to get proficiency, but since he can only invest 2 weapons per day (cheating a bit with the bonus on the shield thanks to Shield Master), having only 1 Ioun Stone would help explain the limitation. But perhaps it is best not to lock him totally out of the weapon. Maybe he does have 2 Ioun Stones, but since they are the same kind, only one of them can be invested any given day? So ICly, he is still proficient, but he gets that coveted +3 only on one of those two weapons.

I suppose, Shadow Improved for +10 Stealth at 15.000 gp would not be too much to add to the armour?

Edited by Lycar (see edit history)

@Omegang the ABP goes by Character Level, not "how many spells can you cast" So a Wizard 5/Cleric 5/Mystic Theurge 10 build would be 16th level, not 30th.

For Special Items, there's a whole guide somewhere that I'd have to dig up to answer the Celestial Armor specifically. I'll see if I can find that. Same with adding bonuses.

Here it is: https://paizo.com/community/blog/v5748dyo5lhdx?Unleashing-Unchained

I've always been very confused by this so let me know what you'd like to do and I'll crunch the numbers for how much it costs.

And no, enhancement bonuses do not stack. But you could use your attunement on armor or clothes and Magic Vestment on a shield.

Yeah I'm a bit confused. It seems like you get your ABP bonus on stuff just fine*, and things with a flat cost also just add their price as normal, but if you want to add anything that usually has a +X modifier, you have to spend gold to get a capacity greater then 0 to be able to apply those abilities.

*Unless I'm mistaken and an item has to have an increased cost to even allow it to get your ABP bonus? But that would be at cross-purpose with getting rid of mandatory math-enhancers and just reducing WBL accordingly.

@DB - Here's what I found:

"In this system, magic weapons, armor, and shields never have enhancement bonuses of their own; those bonuses are granted only through attunement. Any weapon, armor, or shield special abilities on attuned items count against a character’s enhancement bonus from attunement. To determine an attuned magic item’s enhancement bonus, subtract the cost of its special ability from the enhancement bonus granted by attunement. (This applies only to special abilities whose cost is equivalent to an enhancement bonus, not to those that cost a flat amount of gold pieces.) For example, if a character with a +3 enhancement bonus from weapon attunement wields a keen scimitar, she subtracts 1 point of her enhancement bonus (for the cost of keen), leaving her with a +2 keen scimitar. If a character doesn’t have enough of an enhancement bonus to afford the special ability (such as a 4th-level character with a vorpal longsword), she can still use the weapon’s power on its own, but the weapon gains no enhancement bonus.

In this system, adding bonus-equivalent special abilities to items costs significantly less because you are paying only for the special ability, not for a base enhancement bonus (see the table below). To determine the price of specific weapons and armor, remove the flat enhancement bonus and reduce the item’s cost by the amount listed on the table below. For example, a flame tongue is normally worth 20,715 gp, but under this system, it would lose its +1 enhancement bonus and its price would be reduced to 18,715 gp. Specific weapons and armor can be attuned; they then grant the character’s enhancement bonuses from weapon attunement and armor attunement as normal.

Base Price Modifier Weapon Cost Armor/Shield Cost
+1 2,000 gp 1,000 gp
+2 8,000 gp 4,000 gp
+3 18,000 gp 9,000 gp
+4 32,000 gp 16,000 gp
+5 50,000 gp 25,000 gp
Section 15: Copyright Notice"

So, by my calculation, the armor +4 attunement (+3 AC, Fly) cost 16,000 and a suit of Chainmail costs 150. Total cost 16,150
Edited by Omegang (see edit history)